Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Rather Significant Note on OOTP9 Pitcher Endurance.

Markus posted this stuff buried in a thread at OOTPDev, and I thought people might want to know it.

Quote:
In OOTP 9 the endurance is basically broken up in three parts. On a 1-20 scale, any pitcher with 10+ performs as a starter the way you would expect with his ratings. From 5-9 he can give you 100 pitches per start, but the lower the endurance the worse he performs when starting because he does not have the stuff to fool hitters the second time through the lineup. Pitchers with 1-4 endurance should only be used in relief, the can't give you more than 60 pitches per start. When importing a OOTP 8 league the endurance of pitchers is adjusted properly...

Quote:
the importer will adjust the pitchers with an endurance of 5-9 because there were many of them in OOTP 8. Only those with an 8 or 9 will end up in the 5-9 range in OOTP 9. This adjustment is necessary to avoid closers in OOTP 8 who happen to have a 6 or 7 endurance become potentially good starters in OOTP 9.

It's in this thread:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post2495196

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Huckleberry
College Starter

I hope a lot of what he typed is a language-barrier thing.

Quote:
In OOTP 9 the endurance is basically broken up in three parts. On a 1-20 scale, any pitcher with 10+ performs as a starter the way you would expect with his ratings.

I would hope, and also assume, that there's a big difference in endurance between a guy with a 10 rating and a guy with a 20 rating. Whether it be in a single game context and the 20 can go 140 pitches when need be or that the 20 recovers faster and can pitch on 3 days of rest much more easily.

Quote:
From 5-9 he can give you 100 pitches per start, but the lower the endurance the worse he performs when starting because he does not have the stuff to fool hitters the second time through the lineup.

Once again, I hope and assume that "does not have the stuff" means that he gets tired. And also that the 5 gets tired faster than the 9.

Basically it's good in theory but I hope that my interpretation is correct.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i would think it is huckleberry. otherwise you'd just need 3 numbers for endurance and not a scale of 1-20. you'd say "1 is a reliver" "2 is a lower rotation starter" and "3 is a ace"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Ben E Lou

From what I can tell, it's a sliding scale to be sure. For those into SP, it's a fundamental change in the value of a TON of players. I use the 100 scale, and it used to be that if a guy's endurance was under 45 or so, I valued him completely different from a guy even in the upper 40s...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm... I plan on using the 2-8 scale this time around.. interesting..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Anthony
Banned

less ratings the better, in my book. i think 1-20 is about right. 1-100 tells too muh of the story.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Ben E Lou

I have zero interest in evaluating players at that level. I've gotten to where I like setting my lineup, and simming at least two months (sometimes the full season) in one shot.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The bigger question for me is, does this eliminate SP/MR/CL roles completely, and now we're just working off of endurance ratings? It sounds like this might have been in OOTP8, but I don't have that. I hope this is the case, because it really makes more sense for endurance to drive what role the pitcher has, as opposed to a category (especially when it comes to MR/CL and MR/SP designations). Mostly this is more important to how the AI handles pitcher assignments, I think.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but it sounds like he's mixing two different parameters here. Endurance, which tells you how long a pitcher can throw before tiring and the number of "major league" pitches, which goes a long way in determining how effective a pitcher will be each time he goes through the lineup.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 06-18-2008 at 01:22 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
dfisher
High School JV

What it sounds like to me is there are three tiers:

1. 10+ has their normal ratings for the entire time until they are tired; how fast they get tired depends on their actual endurance rating.

2. 5-9 will lose effectiveness prior to actually getting tired. These pitchers can pitch multiple days in a short period of time, but they can't pitch too long on one day without losing some stuff.

3. 1-4 can't throw many pitches without getting tired. These pitchers have difficulty pitching back to back days.
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but it sounds like he's mixing two different parameters here. Endurance, which tells you how long a pitcher can throw before tiring and the number of "major league" pitches, which goes a long way in determining how effective a pitcher will be each time he goes through the lineup.

I have to agree. Being less effective as a pitcher because you are worn out isn't the same thing as not having the pitch assortment to fool batters multiple times....Still, I appreciate that Markus tried to address this- and now that I know how this works- can use it to my benefit. I think the pitching system will need a complete overhaul to address this correctly in the long run. To answe KSyrup above- the game still used SP, MR, and SP labels in OOTP8- and I have seen no indication that things will be different in OOTP9.

My question is- has the AI been tweaked to take advantage of this as well? In other words, will we occasionally see the AI use pitchers with 30-45 endurance (on a 1-100 scale) as starters? ....Becasue I have never seen the AI do this in OOTP8.

Last edited by BigPapi : 06-18-2008 at 02:17 PM.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
My question is- has the AI been tweaked to take advantage of this as well? In other words, will we occasionally see the AI use pitchers with 30-45 endurance (on a 1-100 scale) as starters? ....Becasue I have never seen the AI do this in OOTP8.
Yes. It also drafts them.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post

I'll buy into that. I think that endurance changes from a strictly "I'm tired" perspective to more of an indication of effectiveness as a starter. That pitcher with 100mph fastball but nothing else is overpowering the first time around, but you can get used to the speed and catch up to it the next time you see him.

It's not EXACTLY endurance, but it is better than putting in a whole seperate rating for "multi-inning effectiveness".
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have been using the 20-80 as it gives just enough info (increments of 5) to get a feel while still needing to look at stats. I need to have a personal feel for the player as opposed to the ratings they have.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Maybe I am missing something here, but so far I've been seeing the endurance show up exactly like it used to in ootp8.. I thought this was changed?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

It shows up the same, but it's used differently.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
It shows up the same, but it's used differently.

So then if you are on 1-10 scale, 5+ is the SP range , 2.5 -5 is possible SP but won't go more than once through the lineup effectively and below 2.5 is a non starter at all? It just scales based on the rating scale you are using correct?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #18
Ben E Lou

As best as I can tell, yes.