Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

FOFC NiftyFifty Fantasy Baseball Thread

I know that the league is comprised of players from about three different boards, but figured I will try to start this up for a running discussion (if anyone has any).

It was an interesting draft -- QuikSand (by his own doing) and Simms (by missing the draft) in particular ended up with unbalanced rosters.

Here's my thoughts...

Sloppy Sluggers -- Not a lot of power in the lineup, but very good contact hitting and good speed. Pitching is a mess at the moment -- only has 7 pitchers even active right now, and no front-line starters.

The (di)Gamma Rays) -- Very nice lineup, headed by Hafner and Manny. No real holes in the lineup -- nice middle infield of Mora and Lugo. Not great starting pitching, but a great reliever (K-Rod), and some nice young starters (Chris Ray, Lohse).

Lathums Brew Crew -- Decent lineup, not a lot of power. Great infield (Michael Young, Brian Roberts). Pitching is good -- several innings-eaters, and a top-tier starter in Roy Halladay.

Engineering Disaster -- Pretty solid power, not much average in the lineup. Major hole in the outfield. Couple of good starters (Milwood, Beckett), awful relievers. Will live or die by the offense.

Hammerin' Hermanators -- Injury-free to start the season. Excellent pitching (headlined by Johan Santana), decent batting, but banking on another great season from Paul Konerko.

All on Black -- Starting pitching is non-existent, relief pitching is excellent (Mariano Rivera, Jenks). Ortiz is the anchor of the lineup, with a lot of role players around him.

Swansea Swingers -- Outstanding pitching (Felix Hernandez, Colon, Burnett, Garland, Contreras, Guardado). Hitting is a lot weaker. Giambi is the only power-hitter, outfield is very thin, and nothing at catcher.

Hooot Pockets -- Outstanding depth in the infield, very thin in the outfield, and pretty solid pitching. Trio of Oakland hurlers (Harden, Street, Zito) top the pitching staff, and there is good depth there, also.

He Gone! -- Great catcher (Victor Martinez), not much in the infield, nice depth in the outfield. Solid pitching, lots of good relievers, and a couple of very good starters.

Nero's Henchmen -- Phenomenal infield (Thome, Glaus, Tejada), rather weak outfield. Excellent group of starting pitchers, almost nothing in terms of relievers.

ChesapeakeCheapshots -- Great infield, good set of outfielders, awful pitching. With some surprising pitching performances, could be a force. But without them, superb offense will be totally cancelled out.

RPI-Fan's Predictions

1. Hooot Pockets
2. (di)Gamma Rays
3. Lathums Brew Crew
4. He Gone!
5. Nero's Henchmen
6. Hammerin' Hermenators
7. Engineering Disaster
8. ChesapeakeCheapshots
9. Swansea Swings
10. All On Black
11. Sloppy Sluggers

~rpi-fan

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

looking to add power or another reliever if anyone is looking to deal. And nice anaysis. power was my biggest concern...
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola-I would be happy with third, even though if Schilling has a solid year I like my chances much more.

For those that don't know it was an AL only leage with 11 teams drafting 30 man rosters. You do the math.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
dola-I would be happy with third, even though if Schilling has a solid year I like my chances much more.

For those that don't know it was an AL only leage with 11 teams drafting 30 man rosters. You do the math.

Just to solidify those numbers...

(Fantasy) 11 teams x 30 fantasy slots = 330 fantasy players
(Real AL) 15 teams x 25 slots = 375 real players

330/375 = 0.88

So, since 88% of players are in play, that means that the last guy on the fantasy rosters are give/take the 22nd guy on real rosters.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

bump

I need some power and relief pitching annd am more then willing to trade starting pitching.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Missed this thread the first time...

I don't know if this team (Chesapeake Cheapshots) is going to be worth much -- I deliberately drafted heavily on offense, and got an offense I'm mildly happy with, but not quite what I had hoped for. Adrian Beltre might be my undoing - I didn't realize that I was getting a prissly little slap-hitting speedster with that pick, as he seems to be now. *sigh*

If we can get a competent performance from this dreadful pitching staff, we could be in the mix, but I'm really not thrilled.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:53 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Code:
Rank Team Points Pts Change Waiver Moves 1. Nero's Henchmen 93 -1 6 12 2. Hammerin' Hermantors 85.5 0 2 3 3. All On Black 77 -0.5 8 7 4. Engineering Disaster 65.5 0 3 3 5. Lathums Brew Crew 61 1 9 7 6. Hooot Pockets 53 -0.5 7 8 7. Sloppy Sluggers 52 -2 11 13 8. He Gone! 48 2.5 4 3 9. ChesapeakeCheapshots 45.5 0 10 9 10. Swansea Swingers 41 1 1 7 11. The (di)Gamma Rays 38.5 -0.5 5 10

*sigh* - it looks like my dreadful team is goiing to land in the lower tier... we have suffered injuries on offense (rendering my supposed strength an actual liability) and we have just been *awful* in pitching. I knew I was drafting some speculative pitchers, but my top two starters have both posted ERAs over 7... not really a recipe for success, all told.

Nero's Henchmen (who is that again?) made some shrewd picks with his pitchign staff in particular, and now is doing well with saves, despite not really investing there -- a really nice coup. That team looks solid, and was definitely drafted well.

Last edited by QuikSand : 06-04-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

So much of this whole thing is luck. I got lucky on drafting Jim Thome and Casey Blake. Hopefully Blake won't cool off, but you never know. And the relief pitching was more luck. I figured Papelbon would be a great sleeper as a starter, I had no idea he would be the closer he is.

You had a good pick up on Weaver, glad to see you are still paying attention even though you are struggling. Nothing worse than a dead league.

Hopefully more people will make comments in this thread about their teams!
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

My hitting has been enough for a middle of the road finish, but my pitching staff fell apart from almost Day 1. Lohse and Silva proved they were not ready for the Twins rotation and I've been shuffling the likes of Kansas City and Tampa Bay starters to fill the void. Ugghh.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was going to start a seperate thread titled "my fantasy team, the walking wounded"

Roberts-DL
Chacin-DL
Wells-DL
Maroth-Surgey, out untill late july
Pena-Surgery, out untill late july
Erstad-DL
Stewart-DL
Wells-DL

I really felt my team had a good shot but so many key players have gone down for me.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Posted this in the main league page.

But the following players are for sale/rent/lease

Randy Johnson
Jamie Moyer
Mark Derosa

Looking for OF help
Old 09-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, down the stretch, here are the standings:

Code:
* Standings * Full Standings Rank Team Points Pts Change Waiver Moves 1. Hammerin' Hermantors 89.5 -1 4 6 2. Nero's Henchmen 81 -1 8 16 3. All On Black 62.5 -0.5 7 14 4. ChesapeakeCheapshots 61.5 0.5 3 25 5. Sloppy Sluggers 60 2.5 10 28 6. Engineering Disaster 57 -1 5 4 7. The (di)Gamma Rays 55 -0.5 11 24 8. Lathums Brew Crew 54 0.5 9 8 9. He Gone! 53 -0.5 1 3 10. Hooot Pockets 51.5 0.5 6 18 11. Swansea Swingers 35 0.5 2 9

Congratulations to the top three, who will be receiving their winngs shortly. An interesting season... I actually had a pretty good time resuscitating this team off early season life support, and actually trudging all the way up to (hopelly) a money finish in 4th.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
digamma
Torchbearer

Congrats to the money finishers. I had a pretty good comeback going too, until Hafner and Manny went down. That let people make up several points on the offensive side, and I slowly slipped from 4th to 5th to 6th to 7th. Good battle for that last money spot for the better part of three months though.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #14
TLK
Pro Starter

If Quik defeats me in the final week again.... I'll never play in this league again. Actually either way, I've enjoyed these leagues over the past two years. Hope to do this again next year.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #15
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Had a lot of fun in this league. Put most of my emphasis in putting together a good starting rotation (Burhele, Vazquez, Johnson, Kazmir) So of course that is what lets me down completely. Still a second place finish is nothing to be ashamed of and hopefully Quiksand can put together a fun basketball league in the next month or so!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

Code:
The Front Office * Standings * Full Standings Rank Team Points Pts Change Waiver Moves 1. Hammerin' Hermantors 88 0 4 6 2. Nero's Henchmen 81 -0.5 8 16 3. All On Black 63.5 0.5 7 14 4. ChesapeakeCheapshots 60 -1 3 25 5. Sloppy Sluggers 59.5 0 10 28 5. Engineering Disaster 59.5 1 5 4 7. The (di)Gamma Rays 54.5 0 11 24 8. Lathums Brew Crew 53.5 -0.5 9 8 8. He Gone! 53.5 -0.5 1 3 10. Hooot Pockets 51.5 0.5 6 18 11. Swansea Swingers 35.5 0.5 2 9

Very close race for third place -- my Cheapshots actually managed to grab third place for one or two days, but TLK wrested it back with a strong finish and retained an actual "winning" spot, rather than a "money back" spot.

Congratulations to the victors!
Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Recieved my 125 bucks today for second place.

Thanks again for an extremely well run league!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #18
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Got my money the other day.

Thanks, it was fun playing.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote