Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

NFL Salary Cap

Does anyone else feel this is hurting the game for the fans? I really think they ought to have something like the NBA where you can pay your own home grown guy more. When I see the Raiders shopping Charles Woodson because they likely won't be able to afford him next year I have to shake my head. I'd really favor a rule where if you draft a guy you are allowed a cap exemption after so many years in order to resign that guy. So that not only the very wealthy benefit, maybe each team could be allowed some specified number of exemptions. Just a thought. I think it hurts fan loyalty when you build a good team and can't keep it because you reach a point where you just can't afford all your good players.

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 02:50 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

The NFL does not care if the fans are happy, they only care if the fans watch the games.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Agreed.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

I like that idea. Maybe have like 75% or 80% of a guy's contract that you draft count towards the cap. It'll be incentive to keep players there that have been drafted there.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 02:54 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think it's perfect right now. Only pay big money to franchise guys. It really makes the gm's work and exposes the weak talent evaluators.

Let's face it. Woodsen let the Raiders down during the stretch run because he could get healthy. The question is do the Raiders risk a long term deal to a guy who may continue to have injuries.

I think these types of calls add a spice to the game...
Old 02-27-2003, 02:55 PM   #6
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Aren't they already doing that with some of the utility players? I know that there is an exemption in place where you can pay a veteran a million dollars (or some amount close to that) and it will only count the minimum salary against your cap value. It's to encourage teams to keep their veteran role-players around a little longer.

How would said cap exemption work (sorry, not that familiar with the NBA agreement)? Does he get to test the waters and you have to match it if you want to keep him? Any other way and the player's union will never go for it...
Old 02-27-2003, 03:01 PM   #7
Daimyo
College Starter

I like the NFL cap system exactly the way it is. No one forced the Raiders to get into the position they are in now, they willingily did it themselves. They are not victims.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I also like the NFL salary cap as is. The veteran's exemption was a bad idea because it creates a loophole. Once you have one loophole, more are sure to follow. With loopholes, the system will once again reward big money teams.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The system is working perfectly. You're seeing less and less teams with the mind-blowing cap-exploding numbers like the Raiders currently have. People are learning their lesson. In another 5 years I think you will close to the same level of stability you saw before the salary cap era, as teams learn to work within it better.

Right now, think of the teams that are contenders annually. They're learning to work within the cap. Philly, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Pittsburgh. They realize that the team is more important than any one player, and are not afraid to let someone with outrageous contract demands go elsewhere. Teams are realizing the value of keeping their players rather than bringing in free ageents. They're also learning to more accurately determine their value.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:20 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I say, make all the contracts guaranteed.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:24 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger

sure. Let's take the worst part of baseball and basketball and bring it to the NFL!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:25 PM   #12
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger

Oh God no, we'd have the Vin Baker of the NFL.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:28 PM   #13
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

It's nearly perfect as it is now. What do you want to have instead? The baseball model?

Fan favorites are overrated, esp. if they hang on too long. Fans always get over it because there is another fan favorite on the horizon.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:30 PM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm all for te current system. Teams that manipulate it by backloading contracts get burnt, but they also got a year or two of quality players at a lower than market price.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:41 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

I'm pretty sure the "loophole" is that if you give a 7 year vet (or more) the league minimum for his position, it counts up to $450,000 a year (the league min for a 2 or 3 year player).

It's something like that....to be honest, I think it doesn't really do much of anything. Saves a team about a million if they keep 6 or 7 vets over 6 or 7 2 and 3 year players...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:58 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
It's nearly perfect as it is now. What do you want to have instead? The baseball model?

Fan favorites are overrated, esp. if they hang on too long. Fans always get over it because there is another fan favorite on the horizon.

Unless a particular fan is stubborn and refuses to forgive his former favorite team for forcing his favorite player ever out. And that fan holds a grudge until all of the offending parties have been removed, no matter how long it takes for that to happen.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 06:50 PM   #17
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

How can you not like the NFL setup? Every year a new team comes along to take the big prize. This is what Pete Rozelle dreamed of, true parity, where everyone (except for the Bengals, Lions, and Cardinals) has a legit shot at going all the way in any given year.

Then there is the great, capless model of baseball. Yes, the Angels were a total fluke this year. But before that you had a champion in Arizona, a team that literally had to borrow from the league to avoid bankruptcy, and of course the God-blessed (by George they are) Yankees. No cap, no worry. Just chuck a few million more to make sure the Red Sox can't get some number three starter the Yanks don't need to keep the competitive balance out of whack.

I believe without a doubt the NFL is the leader of major team sports in America and the system they use is a huge part.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #18
oykib
College Starter

Haven't any of you guys ever taken a statistics class?

This is what we call a small sample size.

The Yanks ahad a big run. But the post season is a crapshoot. Anything can happen.

The NFL model has worked well. I, personally, don't like salary caps. But the games are exciting and each team makes money hand over fist every year. That same model won't work for other sports, though.

A big part of the NFL system is revenue sharing. That works in the NFL because most of the revenue is generated at the league level rather than the local level. Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey can't copy this.

The NFL system has lowered the quality of its games, however. It's not something that's easily noticeable, even by the die-hard fan. But it's there. Most people are willing to make that trade-off.

The NBA also has seen its quality deteriorate. Unfortunately, the drop-off is obvious to any serious fan and was not accompanied by parity. Half the teams in the league are losing money. Do you guys realize we've only had four champions in the past twelve years in this sport-- not that it was the model of parity in the 80s.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote