Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2019, 01:24 AM   #501
RendeR
Coordinator

Joe Burrow, QB, LSU: 78.6%, 3,687 yards, 38 TD, 6 INT; -800
Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma: 73.0%, 3,039 yards, 28 TD, 5 INT; 983 rushing yards, 15 TD; +1600
Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State: 69.1%, 2,164 yards, 31 TD, 1 INT; 377 rushing yards, 10 TD; +700

both of the guys above played every game into the 4th quarter. Fields played into the 3rd qurter 3 times and into the 4th quarter once.

adjusting his numbers to account for lost time do to blowouts he's 2nd in this list in yards and miles ahead in tds and still only has what? 2 INT?

I like Burrow, I wish he'd stayed but I understand his leaving completely. That said, Fields still puts more on the field. Hurts is a close second. burrow brings nothing to the ground game. I don't see how that somehow helps him at all.

I'd MUCH rather see Chase Young win, the man is a one man defense at times.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #502
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Joe Burrow, QB, LSU: 78.6%, 3,687 yards, 38 TD, 6 INT; -800
Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma: 73.0%, 3,039 yards, 28 TD, 5 INT; 983 rushing yards, 15 TD; +1600
Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State: 69.1%, 2,164 yards, 31 TD, 1 INT; 377 rushing yards, 10 TD; +700

both of the guys above played every game into the 4th quarter. Fields played into the 3rd qurter 3 times and into the 4th quarter once.

adjusting his numbers to account for lost time do to blowouts he's 2nd in this list in yards and miles ahead in tds and still only has what? 2 INT?

I like Burrow, I wish he'd stayed but I understand his leaving completely. That said, Fields still puts more on the field. Hurts is a close second. burrow brings nothing to the ground game. I don't see how that somehow helps him at all.

I'd MUCH rather see Chase Young win, the man is a one man defense at times.

I totally agree with you about Young, but it is hard enough to win as a defensive player, and zero chance he wins after getting suspended.

Your argument for Fields works against you. He didn't play in to the 4th quarter because he was putting monster numbers up against inferior competition. I can't give you credit for padding stats against Miami of Ohio, Rutgers, NW, etc...When he played above average competition he was average by Heisman standards.

Meantime Burrow has led LSU to 3 top 10 wins and has been solid to spectacular in all of them.

The award is clearly Burrows barring a major collapse.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #503
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Trying to be cute and dogg pissing celebration costs ole miss a chance at tne egg bowl
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Trying to be cute and dogg pissing celebration costs ole miss a chance at tne egg bowl

A fitting ending. Low football IQ players, low IQ coaching.

It's impossible to feel bad for hardly anyone not named Plumlee (who ought to transfer as well). The only response that MIGHT fix things in Oxford at this point is an empty stadium.

And even that would be iffy. The athletic department can't afford to buy out the inbred mouthbreather they hired, much less replace him with a remotely capable coach. Best solution might be to just schedule activities in The Grove and dispense with football altogether until the current contracts expire.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #505
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
already seeing it called "The Piss and The Miss"
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:02 AM   #506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
already seeing it called "The Piss and The Miss"

There's been a steady ... stream ... of witticisms.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #507
tarcone
Coordinator

That wasnt even a good celebration. What a fool.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #508
tarcone
Coordinator

Nice job by GT #73. Way to protect your guy.

Iowa finishes 9-3. Lost our 3 games by a total of 14 points to 3 top 15 teams. So close. But our offense was pathetic. And so it goes.

Ohio St. just lost Fields. That may open the door for Minny.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #509
tarcone
Coordinator

Holy smokes. That knee looked brutal and then Fields does that. Wow. Just wow.

I thought he was done.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #510
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So where is Harbaugh coaching at next year?
Old 11-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #511
tarcone
Coordinator

Im really looking forward to Wiscy/Minny. I think this is a toss up.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #512
Butter
Coordinator

Harbaugh and Muschamp 4-eva
Old 11-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #513
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

(yep, repurposed from my Facebook ... I mean, my take is my take, why reinvent the wheel)

And thus ends the start of Georgia Tech's transition.

3-9 is two wins more than I thought this roster could manage. Granted, I figured they'd beat The Citadel and lose to South Florida instead of the other way around but the other wins are more than seemed reasonable.

The offense is going to take several years to rebuild. That's reality, nothing is going to change that.

The defense can only be rebuilt if they hire a DC with the slightest clue. Thacker is badly overmatched and should be fired tomorrow.

Do I have any confidence in Collins overall ability as a P5 head coach? Nope. I think he's most likely Butch Jones 2.0, mostly talk, little ability otherwise.

I will say this though: whether it's due to Collins, the players, or both, they were willing to compete despite being completely out of their depth in terms of talent. I question the legitimacy of most of the roster as P5 players, I believe that's completely fair to do, but I can't really criticize their effort.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #514
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina ends its season with a 3 point win against Sun Belt bottom dweller Texas State. They finish with five wins and most of the losses were by 7 points or less. They just don't seem to have enough good players when those they have get injured. Something that may finally be fixed next season when they finally have a full roster of players (minus transfers).

Good luck too all fans of teams that make it to a bowl/playoffs. Except for Alabama of course.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #515
lungs
Pro Rookie

One year aberration, but Paul Bunyan's axe is back to where it belongs.

Next up is getting stomped by Ohio State in the championship game.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #516
Swaggs
Coordinator

I like Dabo and, in my book, Clemson has zero to prove (I’d have them in with a loss), but he loses credibility trying to talk UVA up when they play Old Dominion, William & Mary, and Liberty in the same season. Virginia Tech with Old Dominion, Furman, and Rhode Island is also a joke.

Probably just coach speak, but saying UVA would go 9-3 in any league let’s them off the hook for playing a joke of a schedule. They only play 8 conference games to begin with.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #517
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ole Miss: we got the most ridiculous way to lose a rivalry game

Alabama: hold our beer
Old 11-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #518
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ole Miss: we got the most ridiculous way to lose a rivalry game

Alabama: hold our beer

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 AM   #519
Atocep
Coordinator

So Schiano back to Rutgers?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:32 AM   #520
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere
So where is Harbaugh coaching at next year?

Michigan, unless he doesn't want to be. There's people making noise about wanting him gone, but nobody saying who they realistically think he should be replaced with who has a credible chance of doing better.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #521
Edward64
Head Coach

I think LSU and OSU are worthy. Clemson had a weak schedule but also worthy due to their legacy. I'm feeling that GA is not a solid #4 because I can see OK there instead but if they do beat LSU then yes.

In a way, sad to see AL drop out but do think its good to shake things up. Many AR fans are grateful because they think this means Gus is saved and can't be considered in our HC search (Kiffin, Leach and Mark Campbell (who?) seem to be the favorites right now).
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #522
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Michigan, unless he doesn't want to be. There's people making noise about wanting him gone, but nobody saying who they realistically think he should be replaced with who has a credible chance of doing better.

So why can't MI beat OSU?

I'm thinking it can't be because of talent but more coaching/strategy right?
Old 12-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #523
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think LSU and OSU are worthy. Clemson had a weak schedule but also worthy due to their legacy. I'm feeling that GA is not a solid #4 because I can see OK there instead but if they do beat LSU then yes.

In a way, sad to see AL drop out but do think its good to shake things up. Many AR fans are grateful because they think this means Gus is saved and can't be considered in our HC search (Kiffin, Leach and Mark Campbell (who?) seem to be the favorites right now).

Mark Campbell or Matt Campbell. Matt is the ISU coach and has done wonders there. Could it be him?

Old 12-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #524
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Mark Campbell or Matt Campbell. Matt is the ISU coach and has done wonders there. Could it be him?

Sorry, yes its Matt Campbell.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #525
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I'd compare that to Alabama-Auburn

Malzahn's had success because of luck and he's tried things Saban doesn't think of. Harbaugh is an NFL minded coach. I doubt he'll ever try to outfox Meyer or Day. As long as Harbaugh is in Ann Arbor and tries to go straight up against a more talented Ohio State, Michigan will probably win one out of ten. 2016 was his one.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #526
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I like Dabo and, in my book, Clemson has zero to prove (I’d have them in with a loss), but he loses credibility trying to talk UVA up when they play Old Dominion, William & Mary, and Liberty in the same season. Virginia Tech with Old Dominion, Furman, and Rhode Island is also a joke.

Probably just coach speak, but saying UVA would go 9-3 in any league let’s them off the hook for playing a joke of a schedule. They only play 8 conference games to begin with.
I think there are two things at play here. The first, and this is missed nationally by many, despite his goofy aww shucks persona Dabo is a pretty shrewd messenger. Any interview you hear he is talking to his team and recruits. No one else. You'd be amazed, shocked, disgusted by how much his interviews are recorded and replayed throughout the football ops building for the team... so when you hear him talking up UVA that's for his teams benefit.

The other point I'd make, and look the ACC is bad this year, let's get that out of the way...but ODU, W&M and Liberty...while a joke - is it much worse than Ga Southern North Western state and utah state?

Again I'm not positing that th Acc equals the sec this year...but let's ot pretend like both don't have stinkers.

Heck fwiw Clemson is the only team in America with 10 power 5 wins....as dubious as that power 5 may be...
Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #527
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Urban to USC watch is on....
Old 12-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #528
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Urban to USC watch is on....

And Texas will be stuck with Herman.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #529
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I think there are two things at play here. The first, and this is missed nationally by many, despite his goofy aww shucks persona Dabo is a pretty shrewd messenger. Any interview you hear he is talking to his team and recruits. No one else. You'd be amazed, shocked, disgusted by how much his interviews are recorded and replayed throughout the football ops building for the team... so when you hear him talking up UVA that's for his teams benefit.

The other point I'd make, and look the ACC is bad this year, let's get that out of the way...but ODU, W&M and Liberty...while a joke - is it much worse than Ga Southern North Western state and utah state?

Again I'm not positing that th Acc equals the sec this year...but let's ot pretend like both don't have stinkers.

Heck fwiw Clemson is the only team in America with 10 power 5 wins....as dubious as that power 5 may be...

Largely in agreement with you and that makes sense to talk UVA up so his team takes them seriously. Part of the reason I think Clemson should be in, unless they get blown out in the ACC championship, is the fact that they even played 10 power games.

I wish the power 5 would require their teams to play 9 conference games and at least 1 power 5 OOC. If 5-7 teams are going to bowls anyway, they may as well put better games on the field (and on tv).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #530
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Largely in agreement with you and that makes sense to talk UVA up so his team takes them seriously. Part of the reason I think Clemson should be in, unless they get blown out in the ACC championship, is the fact that they even played 10 power games.

I wish the power 5 would require their teams to play 9 conference games and at least 1 power 5 OOC. If 5-7 teams are going to bowls anyway, they may as well put better games on the field (and on tv).

Just to play devil's advocate....if ACC required Clemson to play 9 conference games...you can't lose the home game, you can't lose SC game (its state law) , ...so you'd drop aTm and play...Duke, or Miami...that would be better?
Old 12-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #531
bronconick
College Starter

And in the annual coaching carousels- Openings at

Arkansas
Boston College
Florida State
Missouri
New Mexico
UNLV
USF
UTSA

USC to be decided tomorrow after erroneous tweets about Helton being fired today
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #532
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

Arkansas
Boston College
Florida State
Missouri
New Mexico
UNLV
USF
UTSA

USC to be decided tomorrow after erroneous tweets about Helton being fired today

Uh oh. AR is arguably 3rd or 4th in that list.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #533
tarcone
Coordinator

Illinois had more wins over top 25 teams than Alabama.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #534
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Arkansas
Boston College
Florida State
Missouri
New Mexico
UNLV
USF
UTSA

Add Ole Miss
Old 12-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #535
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Add Ole Miss

Yeah, though sadly, three years more of Mouthbreathin Matt than anybody should have ever endured
Old 12-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #536
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: the Ole Miss situation -- there IS one interesting aspect to this. The newly minted AD only last week was almost embarrassingly supportive of the job Luke was doing.

Losing to State isn't enough to have shifted things THIS far. So the obviuos things would be either Elijah Moore misunderstanding of the word "hike" landed on Luke OR the possibility of seeing both of this year's QBs transfer just to escape him was more than just idle musing. The third possibility, I can think of is that there might have been disagreement about how to deal with Moore's gaffe.

This is not going to be easy, as the athletic department is believed to be pretty cash-strapped and unable to afford the buyout of Luke & Staff (which is why this is such a pleasant surprise). Due to the $$$, it's hard for me to think this ends up without either Rich Rod or Mike McIntyre taking over as HC. Which means improvement is far from a certainty

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-01-2019 at 08:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:24 AM   #537
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64

Both IMO. There's been no point in recent years where the talent on each side (judging by recruiting results) has not been significantly in OSU's favor. The gap has closed, but not enough. I also think they are generally getting outschemed and regardless of what they say, expect to lose going in. So basically I'd say they are underachieving in the matchup esp. last couple of years, but they're also outmatched.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #538
bob
College Starter

What did everyone think about Auburn being gifted that FG attempt at the end of the 1st half? Those three points ended up being pretty important.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #539
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Arkansas
Boston College
Florida State
Missouri
New Mexico
UNLV
USF
UTSA

And I guess add UW as well.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #540
Izulde
Head Coach

Sanchez is a great guy, but clearly outmatched at this level (did win the Fremont Cannon 3 times though). Then again, he was only here for the Fertitta (sp) money, and everyone pretty much knew that.

That said, I'm sure we'll screw up this hire because UNLV hasn't had a good coaching hire in football or basketball since uh... Lon Kruger. (Jury is still out on Otz - he needs a couple seasons before we can say for sure). And they won't pony up the money for one this time. I'm sure it'll be another allegedly hotshot coordinator or lower level head coach who will flame out in 5 years. Rinse, repeat.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #541
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Devastated. Peterson got us to be a national power and we fall back in to the mix. Better get used to seeing us in the Holiday Bowl.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #542
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No opening though. The terms of a deal for DC Jimmy Lake to take over are already done apparently. He will receive a five-year contract that starts at $3 million and raises to $3.4 million for the 2024 season, according to a memorandum of understanding from the school.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #543
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Wow. Hopefully Peterson recharges, or whatever he needs, and is back soon. One of the good guys
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #544
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No opening though. The terms of a deal for DC Jimmy Lake to take over are already done apparently. He will receive a five-year contract that starts at $3 million and raises to $3.4 million for the 2024 season, according to a memorandum of understanding from the school.

Hiring from within without opening things up doesn't seem to work very often (I admit I haven't looked at any data on it). I know UW is going to want to keep Petersen involved in the athletic department as long as they can so I'm wondering if this is partly done to appease him. I'm not saying they're not high on Lake, but UW would probably be behind USC and fairly close to FSU as far as openings go. It actually may be a more attractive job than FSU to some coaches.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #545
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hiring from within without opening things up doesn't seem to work very often (I admit I haven't looked at any data on it).
I doubt it's significantly worse (or better) than hiring a sitting head coach. Plenty of success stories out there, including Petersen himself.

Quote:
I know UW is going to want to keep Petersen involved in the athletic department as long as they can so I'm wondering if this is partly done to appease him. I'm not saying they're not high on Lake, but UW would probably be behind USC and fairly close to FSU as far as openings go. It actually may be a more attractive job than FSU to some coaches.
I think the AD recognizes that much of what has made Petersen successful is his overall approach to running a program and wanting to have that continue with someone who is intimately familiar with that approach.

Petersen recruited very, very well - better than national press might have you think. While Oregon has been getting all the hype the last couple of years under Cristobal, on a per-player basis Washington's classes have been basically at the same level - it's only because the Huskies have less roster churn and haven't had as many rides to hand out each year that their recruiting rankings have been below Oregon.

But that recruiting success wasn't because Petersen was a great salesman - it was because he built a set of principles and then walked the walk. Washington isn't going to recruit top-10, top-15 classes just by having a dynamic coach that is a great salesman (at least on a regular basis), but they can do so by establishing a brand like they have. Promoting Jimmy Lake allows them to credibly continue the "Built For Life" pitch that Petersen built, though of course it will take a bit of a hit as recruits wait to see if Lake is as genuine as Petersen was.

The other component is much like why Boise State kept promoting from within and why Oregon did so from Brooks to Bellotti to Kelly - it allows them to keep together a really strong staff and keep some continuity for the players. At least on the defensive side of the ball, we'll have to see if Lake makes any changes on the offensive side.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #546
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On the "maybe it has meaning, maybe it doesn't" front ... I notice the McIntyre, not Rodriguez, was named interim HC at Ole Miss.

Consensus seems to be developing (so far, at least locally) that neither is a candidate for the HC opening. Could this be a sign that at least a chance McIntyre could stick around regardless? Or is it nothing more than he's a better administrative guy (which is all this is since there's no bowl) than RichRod?
Old 12-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #547
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Wow. Hopefully Peterson recharges, or whatever he needs, and is back soon. One of the good guys

One of the best, as much integrity as any coach in the game IMO. Nice guys too, met him at a coaching clinic when he was still at Boise, conversed with me like we were long time friends.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #548
tarcone
Coordinator

No better place to "re-charge" then on the beaches of SoCal. Just sayin'

Mizzou hired their DC after Pinkel retired. Did not work out.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #549
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ryan Day seems to be working out.

Hopefully Lake keeps things going well. I would be shocked if Peterson reemerges at USC or somewhere like that. He just isn't wired to want to go to a place like that.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #550
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
No better place to "re-charge" then on the beaches of SoCal. Just sayin'
Petersen interviewed with USC back in the day and decided it wasn't a fit for him. He's a guy that doesn't enjoy all the media responsibilities and definitely doesn't have much use for nosy/pushy boosters. I would be shocked if he ended up at USC as a head coach.

Quote:
Mizzou hired their DC after Pinkel retired. Did not work out.
Promoting offensive coordinators seems to have a better track record. But Kyle Whittingham is DC that worked out.

Last edited by dawgfan : 12-02-2019 at 05:03 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote