Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #1601
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Long-term marijuana use changes brain's reward circuit

Quote:
Researchers studied 59 adult marijuana users and 70 nonusers, accounting for potential biases such as traumatic brain injury and other drug use. Study participants rated their urge to use marijuana after looking at various visual cannabis cues, such as a pipe, bong, joint or blunt, and self-selected images of preferred fruit, such as a banana, an apple, grapes or an orange.

"We found that this disruption of the reward system correlates with the number of problems, such as family issues, individuals have because of their marijuana use," Filbey said. "Continued marijuana use despite these problems is an indicator of marijuana dependence."

So. Now, let's just be clear here. You're comparing the indicators for dependence between weed and a banana? I think even the most ardent of pot heads will give you that one, Einstein. File that shit somewhere super important. But, I'm not even sure that's it. It sounds like at some point they were showing pictures of fruit to nonusers with brain injuries, and then rating their urge to smoke weed. "How about this cantaloupe. Nice, huh? On a scale of 1 to 10, how high do you want to get right now?"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-17-2016 at 06:25 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #1602
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Woman 'drop-kicks' Kroger cake, saying it was 'ruined'
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #1603
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

The last sentence of that story is brilliant. "Police may never know what the birthday cake looked like." That cake may as well be Atlantis.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #1604
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Long-term marijuana use changes brain's reward circuit

So. Now, let's just be clear here. You're comparing the indicators for dependence between weed and a banana? I think even the most ardent of pot heads will give you that one, Einstein. File that shit somewhere super important. But, I'm not even sure that's it. It sounds like at some point they were showing pictures of fruit to nonusers with brain injuries, and then rating their urge to smoke weed. "How about this cantaloupe. Nice, huh? On a scale of 1 to 10, how high do you want to get right now?"

Quote:
Researchers have demonstrated that long-term marijuana users had more activity in the brain's reward processes when presented with cannabis cues than with natural reward cues.

What that implies to me is that if given choice A (marijuana-related) or choice B (non-marijuana-related), users are going to increasingly opt for A because their brain is telling them that this is the more valued reward. That pot use will after time reinforce itself. Should I smoke pot, or go out with my friends? I think I'll smoke pot. Should I do a bong, or look after my kids? I'll do the bong. Smoking cues start to mean more.

Quote:
When presented with marijuana cues compared to fruit, marijuana users showed enhanced response in the brain regions associated with reward

The cues are triggering them to want to seek out the "reward." Maybe their body isn't craving it, but their brain is steered that way.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #1605
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, I understand the gist of the method, but again, I'm just not sure if we need to test those indicators against the baseline of a banana. Everyone on the planet is probably already willing to give you that one. It may have also concluded that the more you show a stoner a picture of a bong/weed, or suggest marijuana to him, that his urge for marijuana will progressively rise each time...but again: duh?

I'm certain that the study would have the same results if you replaced marijuana with candy, cigarettes, alcohol, nudity, coffee, firearms, high-sodium processed foods, and probably popular retail goods, which doesn't do anything to question or dismiss it's validity, but it does seem a few paces behind plain common sense.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-17-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #1606
AlexB
Pro Starter

Gotham residents told their address 'doesn't exist' - BBC News
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #1607
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Yeah, I understand the gist of the method, but again, I'm just not sure if we need to test those indicators against the baseline of a banana. Everyone on the planet is probably already willing to give you that one. It may have also concluded that the more you show a stoner a picture of a bong/weed, or suggest marijuana to him, that his urge for marijuana will progressively rise each time...but again: duh?

I'm certain that the study would have the same results if you replaced marijuana with candy, cigarettes, alcohol, nudity, coffee, firearms, high-sodium processed foods, and probably popular retail goods, which doesn't do anything to question or dismiss it's validity, but it does seem a few paces behind plain common sense.

I would guess they are trying to study the argument "pot isn't addictive." And it may be true that addiction is rare in a physical sense (as opposed to nicotine, alcohol), but like the other examples you point out, addiction can be mental. That may seem obvious, but things are studied to actually test common beliefs (which could well be wrong).
Old 06-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #1608
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I would guess they are trying to study the argument "pot isn't addictive." And it may be true that addiction is rare in a physical sense (as opposed to nicotine, alcohol), but like the other examples you point out, addiction can be mental. That may seem obvious, but things are studied to actually test common beliefs (which could well be wrong).

Yeah, good point. I guess marijuana advocates could even take it as a good sign if the fed's compass has moved to "it's more addictive than fruit" rather than "it drives the negro men sex mad!"
Old 06-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #1609
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

From another site: "...maybe smoking weed just makes me hate fruit?" I larfed.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-17-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #1610
mckerney
Coordinator

For men, the importance of safe sex may depend on how hot their partner is | Ars Technica
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #1611
mckerney
Coordinator

Artist sued for $5M over painting he insists he didn’t paint

Last edited by mckerney : 07-10-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #1613
mckerney
Coordinator

Vladimir Putin arrested at Publix

Quote:
WEST PALM BEACH (CBS12) — Vladimir Putin is facing trespassing charges.

Police responded to a Publix supermarket in downtown West Palm Beach following a report of a man screaming at employees.

Managers tried to get Putin to leave but he refused.

He told West Palm Beach Police officers he missed his ride.

Putin appeared in court Monday morning. He's also facing a charge of resisting/obstructing officer without violence.

Last edited by mckerney : 08-30-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #1614
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Denzel Washington takes plea deal in strangling of Aretha Franklin | Fox News
Old 11-17-2016, 11:02 PM   #1615
Critch
lolzcat

Vegan single mum drinks sperm smoothies every morning to give her energy
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #1616
cuervo72
Head Coach

"Should we all be including sperm in our diets?"

Gonna say no.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #1617
bhlloy
Coordinator

What the fucking fuck... strange, sad and this woman should be put up against a wall and shot

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/25/health...ent/index.html
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #1618
Suicane75
Coordinator

What a shitty mom, doing that kind of crap.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #1619
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Police in Canada have a new punishment for suspected drunk drivers: Listening to Nickelback

I guess Canadia doesn't have the equivalent of the 8th Amendment?
Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #1620
PilotMan
Head Coach

Miami Fan Punches West Virginia Fan After Arguing Over Who Gets To Pee First

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #1621
Critch
lolzcat

How 3 friends out for defecation on railway tracks averted major accident
Old 01-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #1622
Suicane75
Coordinator

Open defecation is bad for individuals' and society's health. It has been responsible for spread of several diseases and in many cases, crimes against women.

Ummm. I can't figure out if that's meant to imply that a woman will get a beating for shitting in the street, or seeing a woman taking a shit in the street sends Indian men into a rapey lust. I'm assuming both.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #1623
QuikSand
lolzcat

Restaurant Workers Thwart Knife-Wielding Robber With Ladle
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #1624
QuikSand
lolzcat

Rape, Child Molestation Allegations Would Require Outside Corroboration Under Ridiculous New Hampshire Bill - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Seems like a solid idea.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #1625
JPhillips
General Manager

Already we have a candidate for lede of the year:

Quote:
A Georgia lawmaker is recovering from a gunshot wound after he says he was shot behind an adult entertainment store while traveling with several thousand dollars in donations for storm relief efforts.

https://apnews.com/b26268d1b1714de38...=APSouthRegion
Old 01-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #1626
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Already we have a candidate for lede of the year:

https://apnews.com/b26268d1b1714de38...=APSouthRegion
Whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!

I grew up in Columbus. Victory Drive put the "seed" in "seedy."
Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #1627
Critch
lolzcat

The man who dresses up as his ancestors
Old 03-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #1629
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Frank Ancona, the imperial wizard of the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, smelled like cat piss.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlou...wFullText=true
Old 03-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #1630
mckerney
Coordinator

How one 31-year-old paid off $220000 in student loans in 3 years

Quote:
Back home in Joliet, Illinois, Horton took a job as an operations manager at the nonprofit her mother runs. The salary was comparable to what she made in DC, but the cost of living was drastically less. She increased her student-loan payments, setting the lofty goal of paying them off entirely in a year.

Horton and her boyfriend tied the knot soon after the move. Horton's mother gave the couple a condo that she had purchased at an auction for $13,000 as a wedding gift. It became crucial in wiping away the hefty student-loan tab.

Horton and her husband lived in the condo for three months, but then they decided to move in with her grandparents down the street and started renting out the condo to bring in extra income.

Quote:
To anyone who feels overwhelmed by the prospect of taking on student loans — or paying back any debt they've incurred — Horton has a simple message: "I just want them to feel empowered that they can pay if off. If I can do it, anybody can."

"If I can have my mother give me a job and condo while my grandparents let me live with them rent free then anybody can do it!"
Old 03-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #1631
PilotMan
Head Coach

That is precisely the example that I would give in trying to explain privilege to someone. I mean, look at all she accomplished and how hard she worked versus someone who had to pay rent, work 2 jobs, and take public transportation to try get ahead. It's not even close.

Someone once asked me why should I considered privileged because I've worked hard to get where I am? I explained that if my parents hadn't have laid it out there and supported me when I needed it I never could have. I'd have failed simply because I would've missed too many opportunities.

Like Steam?

Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #1632
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

How in the bloody blue HELL have I never seen this before it was texted to me a few minutes ago????

Leprechaun News Report - YouTube
Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #1634
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
How in the bloody blue HELL have I never seen this before it was texted to me a few minutes ago????

Leprechaun News Report - YouTube

I joyously remember this video, and then immediately forget about it, every St. Patty's day. It has so many layers. "I want the gold, give ME the gold!"
Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #1635
AlexB
Pro Starter

Sharknado!

Cyclone Debbie dumps bull shark in middle of Queensland road
Old 04-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #1636
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The 'Grammar Vigilante': Defender Of Truth, Justice, And The Grammarian Way
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #1637
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm probably not the only person who IMMEDIATELY thought of this place when I first saw that
Old 05-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #1638
Critch
lolzcat

Honoring a Fellow Fan, One Ballpark Bathroom at a Time
Old 05-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #1639
mckerney
Coordinator

Ukraine bans Steven Seagal as threat to national security | Culture | The Guardian
Old 05-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #1640
JPhillips
General Manager

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3159660

New Jersey man high on PCP busted after he stops car in the middle of the Lincoln Tunnel to masturbate
Old 05-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #1641
mckerney
Coordinator

Sting operation leads to recovery of stolen bees
Old 06-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #1642
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Drunk farmer 'starts fight with his own pig but dies after having three fingers and his privates bitten off'
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #1643
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

That's a headline that your mood progressively worsens as you go left to right reading it.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #1644
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Do they really have to have a picture of a pig drooling?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #1645
bhlloy
Coordinator

Severed human cocktail toe stolen from Yukon hotel pub - BBC News

It's a cattoestraphy
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #1646
PilotMan
Head Coach

Whipped cream dispenser explodes, killing French Instagram fitness model - The Washington Post

Like Steam?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #1647
JPhillips
General Manager

Bill Cosby to Teach Young People How to Avoid Sexual Assault Charges

Not the Onion.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #1648
AlexB
Pro Starter

Man gets run over by bus, gets up, dusts himself off, carries on into bar

CCTV footage shows man hit by bus in Reading - BBC News
Old 06-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #1649
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That could have ended really badly. He did the best thing and ride the momentum up off the ground; if his feet stuck on the ground it would have been game over.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #1650
Critch
lolzcat

Nuclear reaction: Fury after Czech power plant holds bikini beauty contest to win an INTERNSHIP