Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

My car was virtually destroyed last night

I go out today to the parking lot of my apt. complex to find my car totally destroyed. The front windshield was broken, both the side mirrors were ripped from their sockets, and the leather top of the car was torn off. I have an Oldsmobile '76 Cutlass Supreme. Needless to say I'm very pissed. No other cars in the lot were hit, so I think it must be personal. There is one other car in the apt. complex that looks like mine.

I haven't pissed anyone off lately, though I did fire 3 people back in February. I work at a video store, and I wonder if I pissed off a customer or something. I've only made one customer really mad ever, and that was last week. Wanted to exchange something and I wouldn't let him and he swore at me for like 10 minutes. When I left work last night, there were 2 trucks in the parking lot with like 6 guys total. It was kinda weird, but I got in my car and left without an issue. There was someone else just hanging outside the store (again weird). But as soon as I pulled out of the lot, the 2 cars left (weirder still). They didn't follow me, as I'm usually pretty aware of what's going on around me.

So yeah, I'm very pissed right now. I hope I get a call at work tonight and someone claims responsibility. I'm just dreaming with that though. It could have been random, as my car is the oldest one in the lot. I really don't know what to think. I don't know anyone who lives in the apt. complex.

The apt. complex has really pissed me off lately, and I wanna stick it up their ass (even though I know they're not liable). I'm also just mad in general, as this blows. I filed a police report and the cop said "piss anyone off lately?" None that I can think of other than that customer, but we had our little talk on Monday. So I dunno (shrug).

The insurance company didn't answer when I called them today. I guess I'll just leave the car in the lot until Monday and get it taken in to a body shop. I'll also call the insurance company first thing Monday morning to see what I have to do. I bet the amount of damage will total my car. Argh. I love my car too...

Any tips on what (if anything) I should do? Start carrying a gun? Crowbar another random car? Light my car on fire?

I'm moving to another apt. complex next month, where we can park 20 feet from our front door (instead of the 300 feet it is now). This shit sucks.

Sorry about the rant...just SO ANGRY!!!

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Ping: Shorty and his hoodlum friends...

Time to represent fo' real!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
Rizon
Pro Starter

That sucks dude.
On a lighter note, this does remind me of 'Road House'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
Joe
Pro Starter

find an apartment complex with a garage or underground parking.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, they somehow catch the people who did this.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Damn. That was a '76 Cutlass? My job order was to destroy a '75. Sorry man. Honest mistake.

I know this doesn't help matters... Just be glad that whoever did this work on your car was too chickenshit to do it to your face. A car can be fixed or replaced. Your face, no matter how hideous, if much more valuable.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Atleast they didn't try to hurt you man because if it was those 6 guys you would be in a room somewhere.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Atleast they didn't try to hurt you man because if it was those 6 guys you would be in a room somewhere.

...or a box.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sorry to hear. Make sure you take pictures of the way you found the car in case the insurance company wants them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

My wife drove a black 76 Cutlass Brougham when we started dating. I really don't know if I didn't just date her to drive the car. When own a 77 Cutlass after we got married. Great rides. Sorry to hear about your cars death.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #11
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Any tips on what (if anything) I should do?

Cowboy up?
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:39 AM   #12
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

At least you are safe and they didnt hit you when you were in the car. I hope they find thse perps.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #13
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the kind words guys...I really appreciate it

So yeah, worked tonight and haven't got a hold of the insurance company yet. I guess I need to call the main company instead of the local branch. I'll look up that info tomorrow.

It was weird working tonight, as I felt very timid and quiet (I'm normally loud&outgoing). It's almost as if I was mentally punched in the stomach...for hours on end!!! Weird stuff.

Anyway, I wanna sock it to the apt. complex, as this kinda shit happens around here way too often. Any ideas on what to say or do? I've already put in my notice and I'm out of here on 7/31. The parking lot isn't very well lit, and I was in one of the dimmest parts of it. Also this week (finals week for the local college), they decided to repave two parking lots (this is a huge complex). So I had to park a 6-minute walk away. Annoying as hell. If they waited til next week or even any weekend, it wouldn't have been so bad. Also, they have yet to fully fix several things in my apt. (one toilet still doesn't always flush right & the upstairs A/C goes in&out). Me&my roomy (and my live-in girlfriend) are all pretty pissed at them.

Any suggestions? I could write an angry letter...and that would do a lot of good Maybe I should light some dog poo on their porch...that'd teach 'em! (shakes fist)
Old 06-12-2005, 03:01 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why would they wreck your car for not letting someone return a movie? Obviously that seems like a weak motive. But the guys in the Trucks, and the guy outside the store does seem a bit strange. Was the dude you pissed off mafia or something(russian or italian)?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #15
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Why would they wreck your car for not letting someone return a movie? Obviously that seems like a weak motive. But the guys in the Trucks, and the guy outside the store does seem a bit strange. Was the dude you pissed off mafia or something(russian or italian)?

You've got Omerta on the brain.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #16
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Was the dude you pissed off mafia or something(russian or italian)?

Hey yo yo hey, I did NOT return Joy Luck Club late!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #17
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Make sure you file a police report. Maybe the losers left fingerprints.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #18
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

They didn't even check for fingerprints...
Old 06-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Any suggestions? I could write an angry letter...and that would do a lot of good Maybe I should light some dog poo on their porch...that'd teach 'em! (shakes fist)

Renter's associations, better business bureau, etc, etc, etc. There's almost certainly some sorta local organization who governs rental properties. Find them, call them, tell em what the deal is.

If you REALLY wanna be an ass, call the local building inspector and ask them to ensure everything at your complex is up to code.

Yes. I know many many fun and exciting ways to fuck with rental property folks. There are traditionally a TON of laws governing leasing, most of them designed to be a huge pain in the ass for asshole landlords who think they are gods.

Also check state law regarding your security deposit, since you're moving soon. In IL, you must received an itemized bill of all charges within 90 days (I think its 90), assuming they deduct any money from your deposit. If they fail to do so, you are entitled to double your full deposit.

Research research research.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-12-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sorry to hear about that King.

They got one other car you said, did you know that guy too?

Maybe some kind of connection between ya two?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #21
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

No other car was hit, just mine. I'd accept it as random if there were a 2nd car, but since it was just me...I dunno. I semi-wonder if it's personal. Sadly I'll never know the answer

Time to carry a crowbar with me

The worst thing is, parking was awful last week, and some asshole van is parked across two spots! My roomy said it was an injustice that they didn't hit that van
Old 06-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #22
Easy Mac

I virtually destroyed a car last night, but then those thugs in San Andreas taught me some shit. Welcome to the Jungle indeed.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:26 AM   #23
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Touche salesman
Old 06-13-2005, 07:04 AM   #24
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
(and my live-in girlfriend)

Ex-B/F or Dad?

Last edited by cougarfreak : 06-13-2005 at 07:04 AM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:32 AM   #25
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Got some terrible news this morning...my car isn't covered for that kind of insurance AKA, I'm totally fucked. I'm at a crossroads, cuz it'll cost $600-$1200 to fix the body of my current car, or I could put that toward a new car (something I've been told I should do for a long time...but haven't because I LOVE my current classic car). So yeah...argh. I'm gonna sleep on it and see what I think come this afternoon. Argh argh argh.

Can't think for too long, because I'm carless right now and it sucks

Odds are I'll go with a new/new used car and sell off my pimpmobile. This is seriously a sad weekend for me
Old 06-13-2005, 08:21 AM   #26
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

What type of insurance doesn't cover this sort of damage?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #27
JeeberD
General Manager

Probably just liability, eh?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:56 AM   #28
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
What type of insurance doesn't cover this sort of damage?
Any policy which does not include the optional 'Comprehensive' coverage.
Castlerock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #29
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Insurance doesnt cover that type of damage? That's BS on their part. It;s all a sham really.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #30
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Most states only require liability and property damage (to other persons car, that you hit). Comprehensive (which is this) and collision are purely optional coverages that the consumer determines if they want or not. On a '76 car, it is not worth the price normally.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:00 PM   #31
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

What Marmel said.
Most states also require that if you're still paying for your car that you get some version of Comprehensive and Collision. I know MD requires that (silly car payments, at least I got 0% interest rate).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #32
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyway, I wanna sock it to the apt. complex, as this kinda shit happens around here way too often. Any ideas on what to say or do? I've already put in my notice and I'm out of here on 7/31. The parking lot isn't very well lit, and I was in one of the dimmest parts of it. Also this week (finals week for the local college), they decided to repave two parking lots (this is a huge complex). So I had to park a 6-minute walk away. Annoying as hell. If they waited til next week or even any weekend, it wouldn't have been so bad. Also, they have yet to fully fix several things in my apt. (one toilet still doesn't always flush right & the upstairs A/C goes in&out). Me&my roomy (and my live-in girlfriend) are all pretty pissed at them.

Write a detailed account of everything you encountered in the Apartment Ratings website. I did for our last complex and I'm happy to say people took what I said seriously. Some rented anyway and regretted not listening to the complaints posted on this website.

I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune but you know what? What goes around comes around and they'll get theirs sooner or later. Hopefully sooner than later.

I agree with coffee warlord, do lots of research and complain to the Better Business Beareau (sp?), building inspector, and take pictures of anything that isn't right with the complex... ie. broken stairs, trash not being picked up for long periods of time, etc.

Best of luck to you... it's a real bitch going through this. We've had our share of apartment mishaps but never had our car destroyed.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote