Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #51
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Oooo...decision time for the Jestor. I'm interested to see where he ends up.

Just out of curiosity, what does the Kansas program look like in the mid 2030's??
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #52
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Oooo...decision time for the Jestor. I'm interested to see where he ends up.

Just out of curiosity, what does the Kansas program look like in the mid 2030's??

I have a direction I'm leaning. As for the Jayhawks:

Code:
KANSAS TEAM PERFORMANCE Season Team W L CW CL Rank RPI PRS Result -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2036 Kansas 34 6 12 4 6 6 100 Loss in NCAA Championship Game 2035 Kansas 33 4 14 2 2 7 98 Loss in NCAA Elite Eight 2034 Kansas 29 5 14 2 8 10 96 Loss in NCAA Tourney Round 1 2033 Kansas 31 8 14 2 1 4 100 Loss in FBCA Championship Game 2032 Kansas 25 10 12 4 12 13 100 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2031 Kansas 30 9 13 3 12 12 100 FBCA Champion 2030 Kansas 32 6 13 3 6 6 99 Loss in FBCA Elite Eight 2029 Kansas 25 10 14 2 20 14 98 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 2 2028 Kansas 33 6 15 1 7 6 98 Loss in FBCA Elite Eight 2027 Kansas 20 14 11 5 57 58 97 Loss in FBIT Round 1 2026 Kansas 19 14 12 4 46 44 100 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 1 2025 Kansas 26 10 12 4 13 21 100 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2024 Kansas 35 3 16 0 8 5 100 Loss in FBCA Elite Eight 2023 Kansas 33 5 15 1 5 6 100 Loss in FBCA Elite Eight 2022 Kansas 33 5 15 1 5 5 100 Loss in FBCA Elite Eight 2021 Kansas 27 7 15 1 12 12 99 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 2 2020 Kansas 24 12 10 6 11 12 99 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2019 Kansas 30 5 12 4 4 4 100 Loss in FBCA Elite Eight 2018 Kansas 30 5 15 1 7 7 100 Loss in FBCA Elite Eight 2017 Kansas 35 3 14 2 2 2 100 Loss in FBCA Championship Game 2016 Kansas 24 10 12 4 21 23 97 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 2 2015 Kansas 27 9 12 4 13 16 98 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2014 Kansas 24 7 12 4 11 13 98 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 1 2013 Kansas 30 7 14 2 4 3 100 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2012 Kansas 32 9 13 3 1 1 100 Loss in FBCA Championship Game 2011 Kansas 27 10 12 4 9 10 97 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2010 Kansas 23 13 9 7 12 13 96 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 2 2009 Kansas 29 8 15 1 4 5 100 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2008 Kansas 33 7 13 3 3 2 100 Loss in FBCA Championship Game 2007 Kansas 35 3 14 2 1 1 97 Loss in FBCA Elite Eight 2006 Kansas 25 10 12 4 10 9 95 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2005 Kansas 32 6 15 1 1 1 94 Loss in FBCA Final Four 2004 Kansas 27 6 14 2 7 7 91 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2003 Kansas 23 10 11 5 24 22 91 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 2 2002 Kansas 27 8 14 2 11 14 93 Loss in FBCA Sweet Sixteen 2001 Kansas 22 11 11 5 24 28 93 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 2 2000 Kansas 29 4 13 3 6 4 97 Loss in FBCA Tourney Round 2

They lost a hell of a thriller against radii's UNC team in this past championship game.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #53
Izulde
Head Coach

Vandy Out; Kentucky or UNLV?

A Sports Illustrated reporter tweeted that Vanderbilt is out of the running for UNLV head coach Izulde Jestor. Kentucky remains very much in play, offering a bigger monthly budget for recruiting, comparable facilities, and greatly lowered expectations. UNLV administration is noncommittal regarding Jestor.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #54
Izulde
Head Coach

Jestor Returns To UNLV; Has Excellent Early Recruiting Success

UNLV's basketball future is glittering as the Runnin' Rebels have already successfully built on last year's great class

In the end, the lure of rebuilding Kentucky couldn't hold out against the promise of UNLV's recruiting class and Izulde Jestor's affection for Sin City. Las Vegas cheered with joy as the head coach who took them back to the NCAA tournament last season spurned the Kentucky Wildcats and stayed with the Runnin' Rebels.

With five scholarships open, it looked as though UNLV was going to trend significantly down from last year's three player, #45 ranked class that was second in the Mountain West only to New Mexico's #8 class.

But Jestor and his assistants hit the recruiting trail hard and came away with three very solid commits in the early signing period.

First up was 3* commit SF Lorenzo Curtis, a 6'6, 225 lb. from San Pasqual Valley High School in Winterhaven, CA. Curtis, ranked #389 in the country, drew praise for his already well-developed passing ability and for his potential as a stealing and blocking defensive playmaker. The Runnin' Rebels fended off a host of suitors for him, including San Diego, Mountain West rivals San Diego State and New Mexico, and Pac-10 team Arizona State.

Then came the first Mr. Basketball Nevada capture of Jestor's career. Although a touch undersized at 6'9, 247 lbs, 3* C James Valliere already possesses good handling for a big man and the Rebels coaching staff believes he can become a very good inside shooter. Valliere was swayed to stay in Sin City, the North Las Vegas native from Cimmaron Memorial made excited about the prospect of moving from the blue street signs of North Las Vegas to the green street signs of the south side.

"It's really great to be able to stay home and have my family and friends watch me play", Valliere said when he announced his signing. The commitment is considered a coup by UNLV's staff, for as recently as last month, most considered the local big a lock for Southern Utah. Valliere ranks #237 nationally.

However, Jestor and the Rebels weren't done yet with glitzy signings. Utah's Mr. Basketball, 3* PF Alphonso Roby (#309 nationally),also committed to UNLV. Roby, too, is undersized undersized at 6'6, 227 lb, but scouts enthused over his already well-developed ability to attack the offensive glass and his rebounding potential is said to surpass that of even Val Gavin's, filling a critical area of need. Roby was also hotly recruited, and the Rebels triumphed over Mountain West foes BYU and Air Force, along with Arizona and Arizona State.

"We're absolutely thrilled with our early returns in the recruiting season", a beaming Jestor said. "I have high hopes that these talented young signings will play a crucial role in the continued success of the UNLV Runnin' Rebels basketball team."

In other news, the Runnin' Rebels will be playing the Bradley Braves in non-conference this season. The Braves, two-time victors over UNLV in the 2034 and 2035 NITs, will be visiting the Thomas and Mack Center on November 20th.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #55
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'm glad to see Jestor staying put, and those are three very nice signings. You could very easily be looking at the strongest front court in the Mountain West in a couple of years.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #56
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I'm glad to see Jestor staying put, and those are three very nice signings. You could very easily be looking at the strongest front court in the Mountain West in a couple of years.

I -almost- took the Kentucky job. But in the end, I was too excited about my incoming class to make the move. Although I'm stoked about the signings, the Mountain West is a really tough conference. Usually has between 2 or 3 legitimate Top 25 teams in a given year.

I don't know about best conference frontcourt either - The Lobos had the #8 class last year and I'm in a fight with them for a 4* big that they're currently winning.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #57
Izulde
Head Coach

Runnin' Rebels' Year?

Get your tickets now, because this promises to be an exciting season

Last year, in what was supposed to be a transition year, the UNLV Runnin' Rebels stormed the Mountain West conference tournament to capture the automatic NCAA bid before getting clobbered by the #7 seed Arizona Wildcats in the first round.

Watchers weren't sure what to expect out of this year's team, with the loss to graduation of seniors Charlie Schubert, Emmett Mayes, and Edward Heisler, all starters on last year's NCAA squad.

But after training camps, it appears this just might be the single best UNLV squad of head coach Izulde Jestor's tenure. It looks to be the deepest, most talented unit yet and expectations are higher than they've ever been.

Projected Starting Lineup
PG David Upton (Fr)
The first 4* recruit of Jestor's career generated a lot of buzz just by signing, but now the noise surrounding the true freshman is deafening. "He's easily the best point guard the Rebels have had in years right now", one writer commented. "The scary part is, he hasn't yet reached his ceiling." That's a lot of weight for a freshman to carry, but Upton's energy and determination in practice wowed the coaching staff and he locked down the starting spot with ease.

SG James Nall (Jr)
Nall's come a long way since refusing to redshirt his freshman year. After splitting between starts and the bench last season, he showed enough offseason improvement that Jestor's first ever recruit at UNLV will be starting. Terrific rebounder at the 2 spot. Showed renewed focus in camp.

SF Daniel Duda (Sr)
Surprised to not see a certain other DD here? We were too, but Duda put in a lot of work over the summer and is now arguably the Runnin' Rebels best all-around shooter. That's enough to have him win the starting spot, at least to begin the year.

PF Darrell Jenkins (Sr)
Jenkins played PG/PF/C last year and was terrific as a do-everything man. But playing three positions wasn't enough. He studied the game intensely in the offseason, learning the nuances of the swingman spots as well, and as a result, he is now one of the few players in the country who has the skillset and size good enough to play all five positions on the court. Although penciled in as the starting PF, his versatility might see him moved to the 6th man spot later in the season.

C Val Gavin (RS Sr)
Four year starter did amazing work on his post shooting over the summer, the end result of which is that he should be more than just a rebounding force this season. That's bad news for the rest of the Mountain West, who already got headaches from his ability to attack the boards.

Last year's Mountain West Freshman of the Year, Dominique "Dart Gun" Dugardin, still the team's best 3 point shooter, will come off the bench as the 6th man. Cristian Pardo, also a sophomore, will be the backup PG and true freshman big man Ken Elias will serve as a reserve big along with Chris Champlain, the latter of whom might be moved to the starting PF spot at some point.

As for the third freshman in UNLV's #45 class, PG Merlin Hargrove, he's decided to take a redshirt in order to work on his game. Scouts say he has amazing potential as a perimeter defender, but still needs to develop more in that area in order to reach that ceiling.

"The bench is very young", one scout noted. "But that's a battle-tested starting lineup surrounding Upton and almost all of the key players on this team were a part of last year's tournament appearance. The Runnin' Rebels probably won't beat Air Force or BYU for the Mountain West regular season title, but they should finish with a winning record in conference play for the first time since Jestor got there, and they should finish third or fourth."

High expectations, indeed, with all of Sin City dreaming of a return to the NCAA tournament, and this time, advancing beyond the first round.

Last edited by Izulde : 02-02-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I almost took that Kansas job before deciding on Notre Dame. I thought they were a bit too good, that Notre Dame seemed to fit my guy's logical trajectory and so, we'll see how this season goes. Good luck to you and your Rebs, you've done good work there for sure.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #59
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I almost took that Kansas job before deciding on Notre Dame. I thought they were a bit too good, that Notre Dame seemed to fit my guy's logical trajectory and so, we'll see how this season goes. Good luck to you and your Rebs, you've done good work there for sure.

It'll be interesting to see how you do at Notre Dame. And thanks on the job I've done, although I really feel like all I've done is just continue what the guy before me did, even perhaps dipped a little a bit as we've dropped in prestige from 73 when I first arrived to 65. OTOH, we did go up a point, from 64 to 65 last year after making it to the Big Dance.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #60
Izulde
Head Coach

5-2 Start Marred By Injury

SG James Nall's dislocated shoulder is not a pretty sight

Things got off to a bad start this season with an 84-64 home loss to Indiana State. Although the Sycamores are a legitimate Top 25 team and have 10 straight postseason appearances to date, it was still a disheartening defeat.

But the Runnin' Rebels bounce back with a thrilling 82-78 victory over USC. SF Daniel Duda showed the coaching staff right with a 26 point, 2 steal performance and C Ken Elias put in 10 points and 7 rebounds off the bench. SG James Nall contributed 15 points.

Then came a comfortable 85-68 win over Missouri, with Daniel Duda again scoring 20+ points at 21, and Darrell Jenkins coming from out of nowhere with 25 points and 8 rebounds. UNLV followed that up with an 85-61 road rout of Sam Houston, relying on Daniel Duda's 23 points and Darrell Jenkins's 21 points.

Four straight victories it became following a 110-66 laugher over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The scorefest featured 29 points and 4 steals from Daniel Duda, a near double-double miss of 8 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks from C Val Gavin, an electric 17 bench points from Dominique "Dart Gun" Dugardin, and 13 bench points from C Ken Elias in just 16 minutes.

The streak was snapped by an agonizing 94-92 road loss to the Maryland Terrapins. Val Gavin played well with 12 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks, and PG David Upton had the best game of his young college career with 17 points and 3 steals, but the Terps enjoyed the home court advantage of 20 free throw attempts to the Runnin' Rebels 11 and that made up the difference.

UNLV took out their anger on South Dakota State, whipping them 95-53 at the Thomas and Mack Center. SF Daniel Duda led all scorers with 24 points and PF Darrell Jenkins played well with 17 points and 4 steals, but this game was really about the bench - 9 points, 9 rebounds from Dominique "Dart Gun" Dugardin, 8 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals from PF Chris Champlain, and 8 points, 9 rebounds from C Ken Elias.

However, that last win was a costly one. Starting SG James Nall dislocated his shoulder and will be Out a month. As a result, UNLV fans will get to see Dominique "Dart Gun" Dugardin return to the starting lineup.

Recruiting Update
UNLV Runnin' Rebels head coach Izulde Jestor snapped up another solid player, using his home state connections to get 3* C Ben Gleason from Barron High School in Barron, WI. Gleason, a Wisconsin All-State player ranked #252 overall in the country, projects to have a good inside shot and blocking ability when he develops, and at 6'10, 242 lbs, gives the Runnin' Rebels some more height in the post. UNLV was something of a surprise winner for the Wisconsin native, winning out over Iowa State, Creighton, Kansas, and Missouri.

"It was really the fact that Coach Jestor is from Wisconsin, too", Gleason said. "I thought a lot about signing with the Cyclones, because, you know, they made it to three straight Final Fours the last four years and they're always in the tournament, but Jestor convinced me the Rebels on our their way up and like I said, I felt really good about having that Badger State connection."

Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #61
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV Now 8-3

Runnin' Rebels fans are pleased with the team's 5-0 home record

UNLV didn't miss much of a beat with SG James Nall out, winning three of four games to move to 8-3 on the season. Of course, the Runnin' Rebels 5-0 official home record is somewhat of a misnomer, as they went 2-1 in the Las Vegas Invitational to start the season, losing to Indiana State (now #14) and beating USC and Missouri for a respectable placement relative to their 5 seeding.

Nor was their competition, save for a road trip to Oregon, particularly threatening.

Following the Runnin' Rebels 42 point crushing of South Dakota State profiled last time, UNLV hosted Winthrop and came out on top, 88-72. PF Darrell Jenkins was a force with 27 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks. C Val Gavin pulled down 14 boards and PG David Upton scored 16 points. Reserve big Ken Elias led the second team with 10 points.

Then came the 79-54 embarrassment in Oregon, where the Ducks held all UNLV players to single digit scoring.

The Runnin' Rebels responded with a too close for comfort 86-83 home victory over Vermont, carried by Darrell Jenkins's 27 points and 8 rebounds, Val Gavin's 11 points, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks, Dominique "Dart Gun" Dugardin's 17 points, and backup point guard Cristian Pardo's 10 points.

No such fright came in the 97-47 home whipping of North Dakota State. The Bison were taken apart by PF Darrell Jenkins's 23 points and 9 rebounds, Val Gavin's 11 points and 12 rebounds, SF Daniel Duda's first good game in a long time with 18 points, and freshman Ken Elias's 7 points and 13 rebounds off the bench.

Recruiting News
UNLV finally lost out on a recruit, as 4* SF Omar Dunne from Pueblo West, CO committed to the Mountain West foe New Mexico Lobos. That signing likely ensures New Mexico will repeat as the conference's top recruiting class after their Top 10 in the US class last year (#8).

Unfortunately for the Lobos' fans, master recruiter Brant Nicolas may not be around for long. Although Nicolas led New Mexico to an NIT third place showing last year, an NIT championship in 2035, and a second round NCAA appearance in 2034, the athletic department wants a Mountain West championship and more NCAA appearances. If Nicolas fails to deliver a conference title, a likely possibility given 12-0, #12 BYU is looking a juggernaut this season, he just might be out after six largely successful seasons in Albuquerque.

As for UNLV, they've set their sights on adding a fifth 3* recruit to fill out the class, apparently electing for the safe option rather than shooting for a unlikely prospect.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #62
Izulde
Head Coach

An Unfathomable Slide

No image can be presented here that would accurately convey just how shocking the season has gone for the Runnin' Rebels. From a reasonable 8-3, they've now lost 5 of their last 6 games, have started Mountain West play 1-3, and, most embarassingly, just lost 94-92 at home to Longwood, giving the Lancers just their second win of the year.

That's right folks, UNLV is now 9-8 (1-3) and not even head coach Izulde Jestor's recent hospitalization with bronchitis can explain the sudden swoon of the Runnin' Rebels. If this trend keeps up, it could be the Runnin' Rebels first losing season since 2030, four years before Jestor's arrival.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #63
Izulde
Head Coach

Code:
2037 Mountain West Conference Standings TEAM CW CL Pct W L Pct RPI Prestige -------------------------------------------------------------------- San Diego State 9 1 .900 19 4 .826 52 68 Air Force 7 3 .700 16 7 .696 41 68 #16 Brigham Young 7 4 .636 20 4 .833 58 66 Utah 5 5 .500 12 11 .522 147 53 Wyoming 5 5 .500 9 14 .391 237 57 Colorado State 4 6 .400 12 11 .522 74 40 Texas Christian 3 6 .333 8 17 .320 163 55 New Mexico 3 7 .300 12 10 .545 181 71 UNLV 2 8 .200 10 13 .435 247 65

10 losses in the last 12 games and we're dead last in the conference. I fully expect to be fired at the end of the season. No injuries; we've just played like complete garbage all year and it's reached the point where it's too late to fix it.

I should have taken the Kentucky job.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #64
Izulde
Head Coach

Rebels Avoid Last Place, But Jestor May Be Done
Code:
2037 Mountain West Conference Standings TEAM CW CL Pct W L Pct RPI Prestige ------------------------------------------------------------------- #12 San Diego State 14 2 .875 29 6 .829 28 68 Air Force 12 4 .750 27 10 .730 23 68 Utah 10 6 .625 21 15 .583 80 53 Brigham Young 10 6 .625 25 8 .758 48 66 Colorado State 7 9 .438 15 15 .500 94 40 UNLV 5 11 .313 14 17 .452 221 65 Wyoming 5 11 .313 10 21 .323 241 57 Texas Christian 5 11 .313 10 23 .303 166 55 New Mexico 4 12 .250 13 17 .433 264 71

A late season run of three straight victories over fellow bottom-feeders Wyoming, TCU, and New Mexico staved off a last place finish in the Mountain West for UNLV. But even that streak and a promising recruiting class whose last scholarship was filled by 3* German SF Martin Bauer,a 3 point specialist ranked #253 overall, may not be enough to save Izulde Jestor's job.

This year marks the first time since 2030 the Runnin' Rebels failed to finish above .500 or make the postseason, and rumor has it the athletic department is planning on firing the 34 year old coach who led the Rebels to two NIT appearances and an NCAA appearance his first three seasons in Las Vegas.

Code:
Player Pos GP GS Min Pts Orb Reb Ast Stl Blk To Fls +/- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Daniel Duda SF 31 31 25.2 16.1 1.1 2.7 1.5 1.0 0.1 2.4 2.5 0.6 Darrell Jenkins PF 29 29 30.2 15.5 2.3 5.9 2.5 0.8 0.7 1.6 3.3 3.7 Dominique Dugardin SF 31 4 22.0 9.9 1.5 3.8 1.2 0.6 0.2 1.8 1.8 2.3 James Nall SG 27 27 25.8 9.3 1.0 4.9 2.1 0.4 0.1 1.9 1.9 0.7 David Upton PG 31 31 24.4 8.2 1.2 3.4 2.7 1.1 0.0 1.1 2.4 0.1 Val Gavin C 31 31 24.1 7.4 3.0 8.0 1.8 0.3 0.8 1.1 2.6 2.8 Ken Elias PF 31 2 23.5 6.2 2.5 6.1 1.1 0.3 0.2 1.0 2.3 0.3 Charles Irvin SG 24 0 7.2 3.5 0.4 1.0 0.7 0.3 0.1 0.6 1.0 2.0 Chris Champlin PF 31 0 13.2 3.3 0.8 3.7 1.2 0.4 0.6 0.7 1.5 2.8 Cristián Pardo PG 31 0 9.2 3.0 0.3 0.8 1.3 0.4 0.1 0.5 1.0 1.6 Matthew Cowgill SG 10 0 2.6 1.2 0.0 0.2 0.4 0.0 0.0 0.1 0.4 0.6 David Vineyard SF 8 0 3.6 1.0 0.1 0.3 0.1 0.0 0.1 0.0 0.3 2.1 Marcus Simmons C 21 0 3.9 0.6 0.1 0.8 0.2 0.2 0.0 0.2 0.3 0.0 Marlon Ludwig C 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 Merlin Hargrove PG 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

The team graduates starters Daniel Duda, Darrell Jenkins, and Val Gavin, along with reserves Matthew Cowgill and Chris Champlain.

On the bright side, PG David Upton won Mountain West Freshman of the Year and he and pleasant surprise PF/C Ken Elias both made the Mountain West All-Freshman team.

Should Jestor not be fired, and should he decide to stay despite an AD who didn't much appreciate last year's NCAA appearance, causing the head coach to almost leave for Kentucky, it looks to be a very young squad next season, with just two scholarship seniors on the roster and six freshman, including redshirted PG Merlin Hargrove.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #65
Izulde
Head Coach

Jestor Given One Year Ultimatum

Embattled UNLV coach [b]Izulde Jestor[/ib] may seek another school that needs a hero

Following a disappointing 14-17 (5-11) season, the UNLV athletic board has given men's basketball head coach Izulde Jestor one final season to meet their expectations. But there's reason to believe Jestor might finally be taking his talents elswhere, despite pulling in the 35th ranked recruiting class.

"It gets tiring being unappreciated. Yes, I had a bad season last year, but the year before I took the team to the NCAA tournament, and the board just shrugged because we didn't get past the first round. I've had some offers, so I'm going to be looking into them", a bitter Jestor said recently.

And indeed, reports say there's no shortage of offers. Florida State, Oregon State, UTEP, Penn State, Baylor, South Florida, Rice, Northwestern, Iowa, and Georgia have all extended offers, along with, much to everyone's surprise, Mountain West foe New Mexico.

Many of the schools can be safely eliminated from consideration. Jestor has no intention of going to another Mountain West school, and his dislike of Texas eliminates UTEP, Rice, and Baylor. A long-standing hatred of Oregon State, stemming from an admissions office snafu, takes the Beavers out of the equation.

That leaves Florida State, South Florida, Georgia, and the Big Ten schools of Iowa, Northwestern, and Penn State. The general feeling is that he'd rather not go back to his home region of the Midwest and Jestor has little love for the Deep South outside of Florida, which means Penn State, Florida State, and South Florida are the remaining options.

Florida State
-Hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since the 2011 season, although there have been a handful of NIT appearances since then, including last year.
-Highest finish was Elite 8, in 2010, the school's only second weekend finish in the 21st century.
-Boasts a high academic ranking and gorgeous college Gothic architecture, both of which appeal to Jestor.
-Board wants to avoid last place in ACC.
-Opportunity to become a legend.

South Florida
-Last NCAA appearance in 2032
-Has just 3 NCAA appearances since 2000, all first weekend exits.
-Board expects NCAA appearance despite the lackluster history.
-Real opportunity to become a legend.

Penn State
-Won the NIT last year, but only one Sweet 16 appearance since 2000, in 2017.
-The board also wants an NCAA appearance, in spite of a tough Big 10.

Realistically it's going to come down to South Florida or Florida State, with the oddsmakers heavily favoring the Seminoles. But anything can happen, and perhaps Jestor can be talked into fighting through another year.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #66
muns
Pro Starter

FSU!!!!!! ACC BABY!!!!!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote