Pro Starter

To Start out the year we have 6 teams in the top 25

5. WVU
9. UCONN
10. Syracuse
11. Georgetown
15, Louisville
17. Notre Dame

And coming in at #23 We have Recruiting Coordinator Mike Schaplowsky and his Baylor Bears

I think we are going to have a real dog fight for the Big East crown this year. From the Looks of the rosters we have some really strong teams, including teams that arent in the top 25. A good 8-9 teams have a shot at winning it, and if they play to their rosters potential make the tourney. Should be another fun season.

Last edited by muns : 03-08-2011 at 10:23 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #52
muns
Pro Starter

Well this is where I'm going to leave off for the night.

Standings before the Big East Tourney starts.

It was close just like I thought with 1 game separating 4 teams from first and 2 games separating 6 teams from first.

I was proud of Seton Halls bounce back year along with St. Johns....

Teams that I wished did better were underachieving South Florida, Pittsburgh and Providence.

The Providence coach isnt looking too good at the moment

Last edited by muns : 03-10-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #53
muns
Pro Starter

Almost forgot

In the final Polls before the Conference Tourneys, Recruiting Coordinator Mike Schaplowsky and his Baylor Bears are ranked 20th as they went 22-8 on the year good for 4th place in the Big 12
Old 03-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #54
muns
Pro Starter

WVU beats Georgetown for the Big East title... Lets see how many we get in.

Im going to guess 7 as I dont think we have much after that this year.

Big East gets 7 teams.... spot on there but we werent the best like last season
ACC gets 7 teams
Big 10 gets 6 teams
Big 12 gets gets 7 teams
SEC gets gets 7 teams
PAC-10 gets 5 teams

Last edited by muns : 03-09-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #55
muns
Pro Starter

First Round Action

#2 Seed Syracuse beats #15 Seed Portland State 71-44

#8 Seed Louisville beats #9 Seed Florida State 87-62

#2 Seed UCONN beats #15 Seed Murray State 75-45

#3 Seed Notre Dame beat #14 Seed Central Arkansas 127-60

#1 Seed WVU beats #16 Seed Oral Roberts 80-62

#7 Seed Villanova beats #10 Seed Utah 94-70

#2 Seed Georgetown beats #15 Seed Arkansas Little Rock 82-40

#7 Seed Baylor beat #10 Seed Dayton 109-75

NIT

#1 Seed Pitt beats #9 Seed Rider 87-85

#2 Seed Seton Hall looses to #7 Seed Utah State 77-75

Last edited by muns : 03-09-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #56
muns
Pro Starter

2nd Round

#8 Seed Louisville gets crushed by #1 Seed UCLA 89-70

#2 Seed Syracuse beats #7 Seed USC 74-71

#2 Seed UCONN beats #10 Seed Baylor 72-70

#3 Seed Notre Damne beats #6 Seed Oklahoma State 78-59

#2 Seed Georgetown beats #10 Seed Florida 83-60

#1 Seed WVU beats #9 Seed Butler 72-59

#7 Seed Villanova looses to #2 Seed Temple 79-80

NIT

#1 Seed Pitt beats #4 Seed Del State 91-68

Last edited by muns : 03-09-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #57
muns
Pro Starter

Sweet 16 Action

#2 Seed Syracuse destroys #3 Seed Illinois 75-56

#2 Seed Georgetown beats #14 ODU 77-60... Heck of a run ODU!!!

#2 Seed UCONN beats #3 Seed Stanford 85-65

#1 Seed WVU beats #5 Seed Kentucky 79-86

# 3 Seed Notre Dame beats #2 Seed Temple 85-74

NIT

#1 Seed Pitt beats #2 Seed Oakland 79-52
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #58
muns
Pro Starter

Elite 8 Action

#2 Seed Syracuse beats #1 Seed UCLA 77-60

#2 Seed Georgetown beats #4 Seed Arkansas 97-92

#2 Seed UCONN looses to #1 Seed Michigan State 66-81

#1 Seed WVU beats #3 Seed Notre Dame 103-95

Heck of a season Notre Dame had, just sucks they had to go out to another Big East team, but the more I think about it, they would have had to played someone from the Big East as I have 3 out of the Final 4 Teams!!!!

Doing Big things this season!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #59
muns
Pro Starter

Final 4 and Championship

#2 Syracuse Vs #2 Seed Georgetown

#1 Michigan State vVs #1 Seed WVU

The Cuse beat Georgetown 74-66

and Unfortunately WVU looses to Michigan State 60-73

The final state is set

Syracuse Vs. Michigan State for the TITLE!!!!!

Boy another letdown....... Michigan State humbles the Orange 87-82. The difference in the game was the free throws as State made 21-35 and Syracuse made 14-22

The Big East goes home without a title 2 year in a row

NIT

#1 Pitt Vs. #1 Xavier

Xavier takes it 87-55. Wow that was a let down, getting crushed like that to be in the Championship game.....

Pitt then turns around and beats Utah State for 3rd place
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #60
muns
Pro Starter

Before I roll the season over I also wanted to note that Syracuse and Notre Damn each put a Senior on the First team All American teams, and Notre Damn laid claim to having the National Player of the year

Georgetown put their Starting Point on the All American Freshman squad
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #61
muns
Pro Starter

So the Recruiting Evals came out today, and I Couldnt be any happier. The Big East just wiped the floor with it all IMHO

3 classes in the top 10.....4 in the top 15.... 9 in the top 50.....

I really think DePaul is coming a long way with the recruits they have signed the past 2 years.

While Rutgers class looks good, they arent a great class. Few role players, but for a team that needs to get the roster filled out that isnt bad at all

UCONN is going to be a monster in 4 years with those 5 guys... Yikes.

Hope these kids all pan out for the Conference

Last edited by muns : 03-10-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #62
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

What are the in-game mechanics of managing the conference in this way? Loving the dynasty! Wouldn't mind somementions of key/interesting recruit as they progress thru their careerss, etc. If you're up for it (but it is certainly not essential!).
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #63
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
What are the in-game mechanics of managing the conference in this way? Loving the dynasty! Wouldn't mind somementions of key/interesting recruit as they progress thru their careerss, etc. If you're up for it (but it is certainly not essential!).

Thanks for following along RPI. I think I could highlight a few key players on the season. I just gotta remember to do it

Its actually not tough to do this at all. You just have to stop right after you roll the season over (before you hit conf movement). Thats when I make the coaching choices and when I go in and manually edit the coaches ( you have to make them human at that point so they show up under the human control menu on the left hand side of the game) that I want to hire. At that point you then have to make the old coaches that you dont want resign ( there is no fire button) and then hire the coaches that you added as human controlled for the team(s) that you just made the coaches resign from.

That might seem confusing, but its really not. Let me know if that made any sense to you at all.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #64
muns
Pro Starter

Big East Evaluation of Coaches

Cincinnati-Gary Martinez- Gary didn't have too too bad of a year in his first with Cincinnati. He went 13-18 (9-9) and was more a victim of scheduling tough teams like an idiot instead of some cup cakes because he didn't have a talent laden team. I only wanted him to finish up 500 ball in conf last year and he did do that. I hoped he would have started off better recruiting wise, but it wasn't meant to be. He landed 3 guys (2 role players) and 6'10 Freshman Clement Fernandez who if develops should be able to score and defend.

Connecticut-Devin Foust- Devin made and Elite 8 trip this past season which is a major improvement from his previous 2 years of 2nd rounds and outs. His recruiting class was #1 in the land and should have a very dangerous team in the near future. He landed the overall number 2 and 6th rated recruits and the other 3 were all top 100. C- William Hamlet (#2 rated) is just going to be an absolute beast. He is already rated yellow with a blue potential. One Training camp could possibly get him to at least green. Devin is doing a nice job with UCONN

DePaul-Freeman Wallace- This is going to be Freeman's 3rd season at DePaul. He has had close to the same overall record his first two years 7-23 and 7-25, but again we all knew going into this that this was a total rebuild job. The sophomores and Freshman he has on his roster are all yellow or green potential rated so he has been doing his job in that department. He just needs to get them competitive and once that happens hopefully the better recruits start to follow. 3 of his 4 freshman he recruited last year started so that says a lot of where this program was at when he was handed it. Freshman PG Buddy Frey averaged 11.9 points, 3.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 3 turnovers a game last year, and in the Big East as a freshman that isn't bad at all.

Georgetown- Ken Ortiz- Last season I talked about how Ken was close to loosing his job. Boy did he just take that and shove it in my face this year. Not only did Georgetown finish 2nd in the Big East Standings but he finally got them out of the stinking 1st and 2nd round of the IAAUS tournament. Hey if calling him out is what it takes to make a Final 4 run, consider this his second wake up call. It needs to keep HAPPENING!!!! He also went out and got the 13th ranked class highlighted by C- Harvey Anderson. He is rated yellow/ Blue and is going to be able to score inside, rebound and block some shots. G-town is finally back to where I think they should be.

Louisville- Daniel Eakin- Daniel has now been at Louisville for the past 3 seasons and I can honestly say that he was a good hire before my arrival. They have improved in each of the seasons he has been there win wise, and has made the Tourney the past 2 seasons in a row, something that hasn't been done there before his arrival. He hasn't had the top recruiting classes in the world (although this seasons 35th isn't bad) however the guys he has brought in have developed so he has been able to get the most of of them. Id love for him to keep getting better classes, but if he keeps finding diamonds in the rough, why brake what doesn't need to be fixed.

Marquette- Daniel Bullington- Struggled in his first season but again that was to be expected. They won 12 games, however only managed to get 3 Big East wins. He will prob get more time than most because they didn't have any scholarships to go out and recruit this past season. So his rebuild job will technically start this upcoming season. I still think he can do the job here.

Notre Dame-David Scott- Another year, another Elite 8 trip. The Past 4 years are just amazing. Elite 8, Elite 8, Championship, and Sweet 16. He lost most of his good players to graduation this year including the player of the year, so its going to be interesting to see how he progresses over the past few years as I think he has lost some recruiting battles. Nothing to be overly concerned about, but its something to keep an eye out for.

Pittsburgh-Booker Duck- Booker looks like a good hire at the moment. I thought Pitt had the talent to make a post season tournament and they just missed the big dance and got a #1 seed in the NIT instead. What really give me hope about getting PITT back to elite basketball status is that in his first year Booker was able to snag the 27th best class in the land. Freshman SG Edwin Williams can shoot the ball and comes into his first season with a 9 rating on his jumper. Pitt should expect to have a down year this year but its expected due to the old coach not being able to recruit despite his 10 rating.

Providence- Richard Leija- So last year I said I wouldn't mind giving him a few more chances to improve. He has been here 4 years and in each they seem to continue to take a step backwards however they have still been competitive. Then this year hits and he only wins 12 games. So I'm thinking ok ok, maybe one more year right?? Then I take a look at what he did recruiting wise and he brought in the 286 best class. His best recruit is a 2 star. Regretting I didn't pull them plug on his ass last year. New coaching coming up for Providence!

Rutgers- Isiah Morley- Isiah has a tough road ahead of him with Rutgers. He didn't start off recruiting well last year, but bounced back a bit this year. He was able to land 4 players and for a team that doesn't have many scholarship guys on the roster thats was huge. I don't like a lot of them, and they are role players but bodies are bodies at this point. He did snag Freshman Center Scott Jackson who was rated 105 that should get some major PT right away, so it will be fun to see how he progresses. Just need him to keep landing recruits to fill up the roster, but I dint expect him to go in the near future

Seton Hall- Maynard Obryan- Maynard bounced back this season after a rough first one going 19-14 (9-9) and making the NIT. He gets guys to develop but doesn't seem to be able to recruit a whole lot. He landed an ok class his first year, and they have developed better than expected and this years class while ranked 80th, its not deep with only 2 guys. The 1 kid however is going to be a stud. PG Antoine Bennett is a slasher that can also pull up and hit a J in anyones face. I would expect him to come in and start right away. The future of the "Hall" may very well rest on Bennetts future. I'm hoping that they just go 500 ball in the Big East this year.

South Florida-Stanford Ericson- He had a very down year last year going 14-16 (5-13) and I honestly cant give anyone a reason on why that happened. He had the talent and the roster to continue to make a post season tourney for the 3rd straight year, but they choked it up somehow. His job is nowhere near being in jeopardy but it was disappointing to see the collapse unfold. Junior C Julian Bookman (who he recruited) is a beat and averaged 19.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 2.5 turnovers a game as a sophomore last year. No doubt in my mind he needs the ball more and Stanford should just ride his coat tails for the next 2 seasons cause the kid can flat out play.

St. John's- Chris Killingsworth- Chris is a guy that has done wonders at St. Johns already (2 seasons) He has presided over the best 2 year stretch in the history of the program and it doesn't look to slow down anytime soon. They went 16-16 last season (first time they haven't had a loosing season) and he was able to bring in 4 role players as freshman. His classes haven't been all that good but he seems to get the most out of his players on the court. I'm really hoping that the players start coming because it would be ashame for the turnaround to stop after 3 years.

Syracuse- Jacinto Gomez- All this guy has done is win.... ALL I DO IS WIN WIN NO MATTER WHAT (sorry went off on a T-Pain song/reference if anyone knows who he is in real life) His past 6 seasons look like this. Loss in the IAAUS title game, Sweet 16, Final 4, Final 4, Elite 8, Sweet 16. He runs one of the most consistent programs in the country and landed another studly class this past season that was rated 9th in the country. He prob has his job for life if he keeps going the way he is! Id expect them to compete for the big east title again and another deep run in the tourney.

Villanova- Edward Shade- This is what I wrote on him last year

Quote:
I cant help but think if Villanova would be better off with someone else in charge. Again he does fine in the regular season (126-43) however when he gets into the postseason his teams fizzle out so bad that I sit here and question the man.... He had an ok recruiting class this year but its not where it should be..... Ill give him another year and well see where we stand after this season with him.

After another season again I'm not sure what the heck to do with him. They had a fantastic regular season 25-8 (14-4) but he always seems to loose in the first or 2nd round of the IAAUS tourney (no different this year 2nd round exit). I mean in his 6 years they have only been out of the 2nd round once!!! Luckily for him he can recruit and this past season he did a hell of a lot better job than he did last year. He landed the 4th best class in the nation this year, highlighted by PF-Joeseph Pike (who is going to just be dropping bombs on people shooting wise). Is it better to stick with him or change him now and bring in someone that can develop these Freshman to actually win games???

15. West Virginia- James Johnson- This guy is just like Jacinto Gomez at Syracuse possibly even better. He has now totaled 3 Championships and a Final 4 appearance in 6 seasons. he is 183-39 with 3 Big East Conference Championships. The knock on James is that he is streaky recruiting wise. One year he will land an unreal class, the next nothing.... They only had the 41st class this year and for him thats not going to get the job done for the future. However who is going to be pushing him out the door with those win totals?? Its not going to be me, I can tell you that much!

Last edited by muns : 03-09-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #65
muns
Pro Starter

Just posted a new Poll asking what the heck do to with Edward Shade at Villanova.

Should I Fire Edward Shade at Villanova?? - Front Office Football Central

I think im going to quit here for the night. I only have 1 coach to find a replacement for and I'm torn about what the heck to do with the above situation, so here is a good as a time to stop as any for the night.

Last edited by muns : 03-09-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #66
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Just posted a new Poll asking what the heck do to with Edward Shade at Villanova.

Should I Fire Edward Shade at Villanova?? - Front Office Football Central

I think I'm going to quit here for the night. I only have 1 coach to find a replacement for and I'm torn about what the heck to do with the above situation, so here is a good as a time to stop as any for the night.

Back by popular demand is Edward Shade. He doesn't have a ton of breathing room, but another year cant really hurt anybody right?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #67
muns
Pro Starter

So that leaves me with only 1 job to fill which isnt bad. I was getting used to 3-4 a year, but I think most of the trash that was in the Big East is basically gone. Now its just the winners that are already in place and the new hires trying to make it big.

So I didnt even really have to look much to know who I was going with for the Providence job.

West Virginia's Daniel Hansen you will be the new Providence Head Coach. Daniel has had an interesting run of it so far in his career. He first started at Kentucky and had 2 top 25 recruiting classes however like most coaches there, they simply cant meet extremely high expecations.

After loosing his job there, he found a nice home at WVU where he spent 3 years. During that span he won a title and lost in another final 4.

His ratings are 10,10,2,9 and im hoping if given more time he can re produce those back to back top 25 classes he did at UK and turn Providences ship around.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #68
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegesportsfanms View Post
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Schaplowsky
High School: Wichita West
City: Wichita
State: KS
Alma Mater: Wichita State

Not to forget about our boy Mike, he helped Baylor land the #32 rated class in the land which was good enough for 4th in the Big 12.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #69
muns
Pro Starter

Coaching Changes

ACC
None

Big 12

Kansas State fired Ray Eley for going 123-77. He had 1 Conference Championship but had trouble getting out of the first round of the IAAUS (3 staright years led to his firing) Indiana then hires him to be their head coach
They then hired Josef Craighead from Auburn who is 104-87 in stints at Green Bay and Auburn.

Texas A&M fires Gavin Testerman for going 112-89 (Gavin then gets hired by Auburn) They then hire Kobe Reimer from Bradley who in stints at Bradley and Rider has gone 101-96.

Texas Tech's Head Coach retired and they make a horrible hire in Carson Perrin who went 70-113 in his 6 year career at Loyola (IL).

Big 10

Indiana- Fired Joe Allen for going 99-95 and Hired Ray Eley who I already talked about.

Pac-10

Arizona- Fires James Lucier after his failed attempt to jump into the big time from Utah State. He total record is 127-71 but only went 43-52 in his 3 years at Arizona. Funny enough they hire former Providecne coach who I just got rid of Richard Leija who is 94-100 on his career.

SEC

Vandy- Fired Justin Farmer who went 43-53 in his 3 years there. They hired Stuart Ferry from Southern Mississippi who has gone 134-72 with 2 Conference titles.

Last edited by muns : 03-10-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #70
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not to forget about our boy Mike, he helped Baylor land the #32 rated class in the land which was good enough for 4th in the Big 12.

Mike stays with Baylor and the big 12. Prob the best thing for him. 1st year coaching and went to the 2nd round of the IAAUS Tournament. Getting some nice experience.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #71
muns
Pro Starter

Conference Expectations

Cincy- Not a whole lot to work with this year. Just dont want them to finish last.

UCONN- Looks to continue the run they have been on. From the looks of it Freshman sensation C- William Hamlet looks to be 7th on the depth chart. Thats scary for how good this team already looks.

DePaul- Just looking for improvement and dont want to see them finish last. Sophmore PG Buddy Fey has already hit green bars and should be the player to watch on this squad.

Georgetown- Looks to be just as good as UCONN. Hoping for another deep run from them

Louisville- I like them to be the dark horse this year and sneek up on a few of the more talented teams. They dont have a ton of blue guys on the team (1 to be exact) but do have 6 greens.

Marquette- Just hoping for 500 ball for them

Notre Dame- Should be a major down year by their lofty standards. Id expect for them to be middle of the pack in the Big East

Pitt- They are going to be pretty bad this year too. 2 real players and nothing much after that

Providence- hoping for a 500 finish

Rutgers- Still in the middle of the total rebuild. Should be playing a lot of freshman this year. Freshman Scott Jackson is a name to watch out for.

Seton Hall- Could play sleeper this year too. Coach Maynard Obryan has been developing his guys like mad. Cant recruit much but gets the most out of em after Training camp.

South Florida- No reason why they cant be right up there for 4-5 place this season.

St. Johns- Nothing much Id like to hope middle of the pack, but ehhhh. Sophmore Center Jimmy Cloninger should make his mark starting this year

Syracuse- should compete with UCONN for the title

Villanova- they have 3 guys on academic probation to start the season. Might be a rough year for them this year.

WVU- Unless they land a huge class, this will more than likely be their last big time run at the Big East and the IAAUS.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #72
muns
Pro Starter

Big East Standings before the conf Tourney

As you can tell it was really only a 2 team show. I think we lost the recruiting battles (besides last year) the past few years and its def starting to show.

Marquette was a good surprise.

The bad ones were Louisville, South Florida and WVU.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #73
muns
Pro Starter

UCONN beats Villanova 108-69 for the Big East Title.

We only have 4 teams in the Top 15 going into the IAAUS Tourament

1. Syracuse
5. UCONN
18. Villanova
24. Georgetown
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #74
muns
Pro Starter

Tourament Teams

Big East- 5 Teams
ACC- 8 Teams
Big Ten- 3 Teams
Big 12- 5 Teams
Pac-10- 5 Teams
SEC- 5 teams

A lot of the little guys made this tourament this year. Will be interesting to see if any of them make it pretty high.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #75
muns
Pro Starter

IAAUS Play in game

Notre Dame beats Princeton 73-65

NIT

Pitt #10 Beats #7 Vermont 69-60

Last edited by muns : 03-12-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #76
muns
Pro Starter

IAAUS

#12 Notre Dame loses to #5 UCLA 74-57
#2 UCONN beats #15 Florida A&M 101-71
#1 Syracuse beats #16 St. Marys 88-66

NIT

#7 Pitt loses to #2 Colgate 82-76
#3 WVU beats #6 Nevada 77-47
#5 Marquette beats #4 St. Louis 63-56
#5 Seton Hall looses to #4 Oregon State 81-79
Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #77
muns
Pro Starter

IAAUS

#8 Georgetown beats #9 Utah 87-82
#5 Villanova loses to #12 High Point 75-70

Freaking Villanova does it to me again...... SIGH..... Just cant seem to EVER get out of the damn first round!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #78
muns
Pro Starter

Forgot to Mention that Recruiting Coordinator Mike Schaplowsky and his Baylor Bears made it to the IAAUS as a 7 Seed and Beat 10 Seed Alabama 99-71 in the first round.

IAAUS

#2 UCONN beats #7 Baylor 82-66
#1 Syracuse beats #9 Mississippi State 82-67
Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #79
muns
Pro Starter

IAAUS

#8 Georgetown loses #1 Michign State 90-69

NIT

#5 Marquette beats #1 Iowa State 66-62
#3 WVU beats #2 Arizona State 78-52
Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #80
muns
Pro Starter

Sweet 16

#1 Syracuse beats #4 Kansas 96-85
#2 UCONN beats #3 Georgia Tech 85-77

NIT

#5 Marquette beats #2 Rhode Island 65-61
# 3 WVU loses to #4 Mississippi 90-103

Last edited by muns : 03-12-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #81
muns
Pro Starter

Elite 8

#1 Syracuse beats #3 Boston College 63-62
#2 UCONN loses to #4 Wake Forest 105-97
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #82
muns
Pro Starter

NIT

#5 Marquette loses to #4 Mississippi 64-78

#5 Marquette beats #1 UAB 86-81 to take home 3rd place in the NIT

Last edited by muns : 03-12-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #83
muns
Pro Starter

IAAUS Final 4

#1 Seed Michigan State beats #4 Seed Wake Forest 80-74
#1 Seed Syracuse beats #1 Seed Oklahoma State 88-77

So it looks like Syracuse is going to have a shot at winning that elusive National Championship against the team that beat them last year in the title game Michigan State.

They have made it to the Final 4 twice before and last season lost to Michigan State in the title game 87-82.

Should be a heck of a game
Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #84
muns
Pro Starter

In looking at Michigan States roster, my gosh do they have one heck of a team. They have 6 guys on their roster that were top 10 recruits and 10 that are top 50.

Syracuse has 9 top 50 recruits but only 1 of them is a top 10 kid.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #85
muns
Pro Starter

Michigan State end up winning back to back titles beating the Orange 69-64.

Syracuse just couldnt overcome the half time deficit they dug themselves. They were down 40-28 at half.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #86
muns
Pro Starter

Overall a very dissapointing season in the Big East.

Only 5 teams making the tourney and 4 others making the NIT. Sending 9 to a post season is neat, however too many of them were playing in the NIT which means we arent getting the job done.

Of we didnt have UCONN and Syracuse our Conference wouldnt be in too good of a shape at the moment.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #87
muns
Pro Starter

Pretty Happy with how recruiting turned out overall in the Big East. 5 teams in the top 25 with a 6th right on the cusp at 31.

Even the worst team Rutgers landed a 4 star recruit.

Last edited by muns : 03-28-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #88
muns
Pro Starter

Next up evaluations of coaches, and I think thats gonna come later on, I want to watch some real ball today.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #89
muns
Pro Starter

Big East Evaluation of Coaches

Cincinnati-Gary Martinez- Gary's first 2 years in Cincy have been a struggle. He went 14-17 this past year and 6-12 in Big East play. He Struggled again recruiting wise and only brought in PG Nevilled Goodrich who has a shot at starting next year. In 2 years total he has only brought in 4 players and 2 out of the 4 are role players at best. Freshman Center Clement Fernandez had a good year last year averaging 7.5 points, 5.4 rebounds while shooting 55%. I can see Gary getting the axe next year if he does a poor job of recruiting once again.

Connecticut-Devin Foust- Devin made another Elite 8 trip this past season (2 in a row) going 30-7 and 15-3 in the Big East. Sophomore PF William Hamlett (the overall number 2 recruit last season) averaged 19.8 mins, 4.8 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 1 steal a game. Not to rest on his laurels Devin went out and snagged another nice recruiting class highlighted by overall number 1 recruit SG- Jayson Kreiger. Jayson and William together in 2 more years should prove to be a dymanic inside out combo that should be really exciting to watch mesh together. Devin just continues to bring in quality guys and continues to win ball games. If he keeps going like he is, he will end up being one of the top coaches when he in fact decides to give it up.

DePaul-Freeman Wallace- In his 3rd season all Freeman did was double their win total from last year going 15-18 and 7-11 in the Big East. I love the progress that DePaul has made in 3 years under Freeman. He didn't have any scholarships to hand out this year which hurts, however some of his guys have progressed nicely. PG- Buddy Fey (who Freeman snagged his first year) averaged 12.7 points, 3.9 rebounds, and 2.4 assists. I can only imagine he will be leaned on even more this upcoming year. To go along with Buddy, 2 more Juniors look to continue to help Depaul win ball games. SG- Westin James who averaged 13.5 points and 5.1 rebounds and C-Genaro Brown who averaged 6.5 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks want to become the 3 get Depaul over the hump this season. I would hope a .500 conf wining % shouldn't be that big of a step and am hoping they can do that this year.

Georgetown- Ken Ortiz- Following Ken's magical Final 4 run of 2 years ago, he got bounced in the 2nd round this year which was disappointing. He has a good group of Sophomores and Freshman coming up highlighted by #7 overall recruit this year C-David Ellis. Ellis will more than likely be asked to play around 20 mins a game this year as G-Town is short in depth down low. Ken is fine job wise, I hated to see him go out in the 2nd round this year but that Final 4 run should buy him a few more years to see how his past 2 classes turn out. I would expect to see Georgetown continue to press for a Big East title and make runs into the IAAUS tournament.

Louisville- Daniel Eakin- Louisville took a step back this past season under Daniel who is in his 4th season. They had the talent to do a lot of damage but grossly underachieved all of the season. Going 15-17 and 8-10 in the Big East just isn't going to cut it, however Daniel can recruit and he has continued to keep the ship going up wards rather than heading down the way some of my other programs have turned. I expect them to turn things around for this upcoming season and make the tourney. Again the talent is there, the depth is there, (he has 6 Seniors this year that can all play) now the coaching needs to make it all happen.

Marquette- Daniel Bullington- Had a great season this past year in his 2nd with the team. Going 21-16, 10-8 in the Big East and finishing up in 3rd place at the NIT was a nice step in the correct direction for the program. Daniel also landed the 25th best recruiting class in the country and although all 5 guys are rated 3 stars, I can tell you there is a lot of excitement about them. None are superstars but they all look to have the skill set to compliment one another as they look to be the 5 that turns this program back around. I don't expect a whole lot from Marquette this year as Junior SG- Frank Piper is really the only true player the squad has. Frank averaged 12.7 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.4 steals a game last season.

Notre Dame-David Scott- David for the first time in his career lost in the first round of the IAAUS this past season. I knew it was going to be a down year for them but he still managed to go 20-14 and 11-7 in the Big East. If thats a down year, I guess Ill just have to manage. Notre Damn landed the 13th best recruiting class highlighted by the overall #19 recruit PF Erik Barnett, Erick quite possibly could start this year and is a guy to watch out for in the near future. I think Notre Damn will be decent this year, but again I'm not expecting an Elite 8. Another 20 win IAAUS appearance will be fine with the roster that he has.

Pittsburgh-Booker Duck- Booker Didn't have great year last season, and it seems was only able to land 1 recruit. Pitt has a total of 5 scholarship players on the team and that isn't going to cut it at all. Booker only landed 2 guys 2 years ago and 1 this year. So 3 guys in 2 years is a definite no no. If he has another bad year recruiting again no doubt in my mind he is gone.

Providence- Daniel Hansen- Daniel in his first season this year did OK. The long time WVU assistant went 12-8 and 5-13 in Big East play, but I knew this was going to be another rebuild job. I'm just hoping Daniel is the right guy to be able to do that with. Providence like Pitt has scholarship issues and only has 7 guys on the team. Daniel was able to snag 2 kids this class (good for 82nd) and I think I'm going to have to be patient here with this group. It will prob take another good 5-6 years before anything starts to happen.

Rutgers- Isiah Morley- Isiah landed a 4 star recruit this year in PG-Eifran Campion. While he isn't going to be the savior of the program he needs to be the building block. Isiah has struggled recruiting in the Big East and this year will be his 4th year in Rutgers. While I don't see me getting rid of him next year, but if he doesn't start to improve this squad I do see it happening sooner rather than later. Sophomore Center Scot Jackson didn't do bad his first year as he started every game lat year and was able to score 10 points and grab 4 boards a game. Those numbers should rise again this year and he can play some ball.

Seton Hall- Maynard Obryan- The guy that I was most concerned about giving a team on my first wave of hires is doing th best I'd say. Maynard has turned the program around in his 3 years, and has actually gotten the Hall to the NIT in back to back years, the only 2 years Seton Hall has ever been to a post season. Sophomore PG- Andre Bennett started all 31 games last year as a freshman and did exactly what Maynard wanted him to do. I would expect the former all Florida kid to continue to improve his game and help propel Seton Hall forward in their quest to make the IAAUS Tournament. If Maynard has another nice recruiting class this year that could be a very possibility the following season.

South Florida-Stanford Ericson- This could very well be his last year in South Florida. He has flat out prob had the best post player in the conf the past 3 years and hasn't done much with him. In fact they were better before he showed up. Very Frustrating. Center Julian Booker averages 18 points down almost 2 from last year and about 9 boards a game. Ericson has had the talent the past 2 years to go to the dance and all he could do was string together two bad seasons going 14-16 and then 16-18. He better have a much better year this year or he is out next year, no doubt about it.

St. John's- Chris Killingsworth- Chris had a down year last year going 9-23 and 5-13 in the Big East. Ill give Chris a pass from last season as he did produce the best 2 seasons ever in St. Johns history before that. This is his 4th year and while they aren't where I hoped they would be, they certainly have improved, and have improved enough to where I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. he pulled in a decent class this year with the 78th rated class, and thats a huge improvement to the guys he has brought in the past 2 seasons. Those guys are just role players however, if I'm being honest, at least he has brought in guys, where others that I have talked about have struck out and are in worse shape than St. John's. I'm hoping for a .500 finish from them this year.

Syracuse- Jacinto Gomez- I feel bad for Jacinto. Back to back title game losses is a tough pill for anyone to swallow. If that isn't bad enough whats worse is that it was to the exact same team both years. So you get your revenge shot and you come up empty, just sucks. He went 38-2 18-0 in the Big East last year and the man for his career is 223-40. I would expect the Cuse to be back in the title game here at some point but to expect it anymore is pushing it. He brought in the 3rd best class in the nation highlighted by SF-Ruiger Bohrer (#2 overall recruit) and Center Helmfried Hiller (#6 overall recruit). Both should come in a play right away however the Orange should be really strong again this year and it wouldn't surprise me if they get around 10 mins a game.

Villanova- Edward Shade- This piece of crap did exactly like he always does and goes out and takes the "L" in the first round of the IAAUS Tournament again. That makes it 6 out of 7 years that he has either lost in the first or 2nd round. He brought in another 2 good recruits however threw a scholarship away on a horrible guy. I'm tired of it and I'm tired of him. If I can find a guy thats suitable, Edward is gone now. If I can't he gets himself another year and then I try to find someone else again if he cant improve himself in the post season.

West Virginia- James Johnson- I knew it was going to be a down year for WVU last year and it was. They made it to the NIT on a 21-14 record and lost in the 3rd round of it. He brought in the 67th best class and I am starting to feel WVU slip a bit in terms of where the program stands nationally. They have been loosing recruiting battles right and left lately, and they just don't have the same quality kids they are used to having there. Hopefully he starts to right the ship again as WVU has become a flag ship program in the Big East. Their 100 Prestige rating of 5 years in a row is pretty impressive and they should not be missing out on great recruits. Keeping an eye out here.

Last edited by muns : 03-17-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #90
muns
Pro Starter

Ive decided to let Edward Shade stay at Villanova.

I like Duke's Assistant James Lucier and im hoping the AI doesnt snatch him up somewhere else this year, as I'm taking a gamble by letting him sit and keeping the other guys I have. Loyality can bite me in the butt I think this year.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #91
muns
Pro Starter

Coaching Moves

ACC

Maryland- Fires James Russell who went 130-103 in his seven seasons. They hired Mckinley Acosta from Arkansas who went 131-105.

Virginia Tech- Fired Ned Morrell who went 118-106 and then he gets hired at Houston. VT then hires James Russell who was just fired at Maryland. That should be fun trying to get revenge in your own conference.

Big 12

No moves

Iowa- Former Big East Coach Jackie Correal retired. Iowa hires William Shackelford from San Diego State who went 143-87 there. Pretty damn good hire for Iowa.

Purdue- Fires Alexander Render for going 41- 52 in his 3 seasons there. They hire Ralph Langston from Southern Illinois who went 70-61 along with 2 trips to the IAAUS tourney in his 4 seasons. Real interesting hire here.

PAC-10

California- Fires Dennis Colvin who went 93-71 and struggled the past 2 seasons only winning 9 games total in the Pac-10. Colvin then gets hired by LSU. Cali turns to Clemente Lopez who has turned Hofstra around big time. At Hofstra they went 79-44 progressing from the CBI, to the NIT to the IAAUS Tourament. I think its a reach for Cali however he does have the interesting past to make the jump here.

Oregon- Fired Steven Johnson who they just hired 2 seasons ago for going 26-37. They hired David Rainer who has been on my darn shortlist from Georgia State who has gone 108-113.

SEC

Arkansas- Fires Mckinley Acosta who got hired at Maryland and they bring in Grover Beene who went 131-108 at TCU. This guy is going to be a stud. His ratings are 10,10,10 5. Should be fun to see what he does there. He is old at age 60 though.

Georgia- Joseph Aslap retires. They hire Cordell Thornton who went 86- 46 in four seasons at UTEP.

LSU- Fires Charles Ruby who went 128-100 in his 7 seasons there. They hired former Cali coach Dennis Colvin.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #92
muns
Pro Starter

My gamble has paid off as James Lucier does in fact stay at Duke which means he is ripe for the picking next year if I choose to do so, and then our own Mike Schaplowsky is still at Baylor in his last season there.

Baylor has made the IAAUS tourament the past 2 years (2nd round each year) and it will be interesting to see where Mike lands after his contract is up this year.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #93
muns
Pro Starter

The Big East has 5 teams ranked in the top 25 to start the season.

2. Syracuse
6. UCONN
14. Georgetown
16. Louisville
24. WVU

Still waiting for one of my hires to get a program up and running and make it into the polls. I fear its going to be many more years before that ever happens though
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #94
muns
Pro Starter

Final Big East standing before the Big East tourney

South Florida played to where it could, even though it should have been better, and I still like what Seton Hall is doing.

Depaul had its first winning season in a while.... Some good stuff at the top and the middle. The bottom half sucks, im just hoping the recruiting was good this year for them.

Last edited by muns : 03-28-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #95
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Before I roll the season over I also wanted to note that Syracuse and Notre Damn each put a Senior on the First team All American teams, and Notre Damn laid claim to having the National Player of the year

Glad I'm not the only one who types it out that way nearly every time Good read! (ahem, go ACC).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #96
muns
Pro Starter

UCONN beats Syracuse 91-90 for the Big East crown
Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #97
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who types it out that way nearly every time Good read! (ahem, go ACC).

I'm starting to go blind(not literally, but you know what I mean) so its a lot easier on my eyes to try to keep it that way
Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #98
muns
Pro Starter

Big East- gets 6 teams in this year
ACC- gets 8 in
Big 12- gets 6 in
Big 10- gets 4 in
Pac-10- gets 3 in
SEC -gets 4 in

Last edited by muns : 03-18-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #99
muns
Pro Starter

IAAUS First Round Action

#7 Villanova loses to #10 Oklahoma 84-82.... Slade really is a piece of crap

#4 WVU beats #13 Steven F Austin 72-37
#11 Notre Damn loses to #6 Baylor 59-70
#2 UConn beats#15 Liberty 83-69
#8 Georgetwon beats #9 Arkansas Little Rock 82-77
#1 Syracuse beats #16 Stoney Brook 102-54

NIT

#1 Louisville beats #8 St. Bonaventure 98-89
#4 South Florida beats #5 Niagra 98-75
#6 DePaul loses to #3 Washington 85-64

2nd Round

#4 South Florida loses to #1 Louisville 77-86

Last edited by muns : 03-18-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #100
muns
Pro Starter

IAAUS 2nd Round

#4 WVU beats #12 NC State 78-62
#8 Georgetown beats #16 St. Peters 99-72
#2 UCONN loses to #7 Ohio State 70-72
#1 Syracuse loses to #8 Wake Forest in a HUGE upset 79-67