Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #51
Drake
assmaster

When Stephen A. Smith says, 'I'm uncomfortable with where we just went", I'm going to agree with him.

There's a line. Then there's Stephen A. Smith's line. Then there's off-the-fucking-cliff.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #52
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
We'll also have to go through a few days where we refuse to acknowledge that tribal identification is important in groups other than black Americans. We just went through an election where both sides specifically argued that the other opposition candidate wasn't, "one of us". There are fights over who is authorized to march in St. Patrick's Day parades. NASCAR is full of arguments over who is authentically Southern and who is posing. My wife's family in eastern Kentucky has many times warned her to, "not get above your raisin'". Tribal identification is powerful and crosses ethnic and socio-economic classes. There may be a good reason to debate specific tribal markers, but we shouldn't pretend that this is a problem for those other folks.

So you're saying we're all tribalites?

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #53
Logan
Head Coach

He's been suspended "until further notice".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #55
JediKooter
Coordinator

So wait...black people are racist against other black people if those other black people aren't black enough or don't act black enough? Or am I reading this whole thing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I always try to act straight-up Lebanese.

Did not know that molson was Klinger.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #56
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
So wait...black people are racist against other black people if those other black people aren't black enough or don't act black enough? Or am I reading this whole thing wrong?

I think just plain stupid fits this as well as anything
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #57
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Coming from this guy I imagine the whole argument is bullshit. I doubt he really cares, especially with his career path. He just wanted to say something to stir the pot. If he really has a problem with RG3, fine, but I can't stand faux outrage punditry.

Now we all get to play pretend as ESPN fakes shock and the commentator fakes an apology. They all did exactly what was hoped for and nobody involved really has any regrets.

We'll also have to go through a few days where we refuse to acknowledge that tribal identification is important in groups other than black Americans. We just went through an election where both sides specifically argued that the other opposition candidate wasn't, "one of us". There are fights over who is authorized to march in St. Patrick's Day parades. NASCAR is full of arguments over who is authentically Southern and who is posing. My wife's family in eastern Kentucky has many times warned her to, "not get above your raisin'". Tribal identification is powerful and crosses ethnic and socio-economic classes. There may be a good reason to debate specific tribal markers, but we shouldn't pretend that this is a problem for those other folks.

"Black" is a pretty broad tribe. Even "African-American" is pretty broad. It'd be a little odd if someone from eastern Kentucky or NASCAR was trying to pressure me to act more like them just because I'm also white.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #58
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
"Black" is a pretty broad tribe. Even "African-American" is pretty broad. It'd be a little odd if someone from eastern Kentucky or NASCAR was trying to pressure me to act more like them just because I'm also white.

Clearly, but that is one of the problems about racism towards African-Americans. They don't get the opportunity to obscure their race, not if their skin is dark enough. So while white Americans can find ways to obscure their origins, erase their ethnic identity, that's almost never an option for black Americans. Therefore I think there's a pressure for any African-American to represent all African-Americans, even if there's very little cultural overlap between their life, how they were raised, and how others were raised.

There's a distinct difference between social groups that are physically obvious and those that are not. A white American could be a southern redneck or a Northeast blueblood or a Seattle hipster, but since it's difficult to distinguish between those, and whites are still for the moment the majority of the population, it's sort of live and let live. African-Americans remain physically distinct, and a minority, so they are treated, and therefore pressured to react, as one group.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #59
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Clearly, but that is one of the problems about racism towards African-Americans. They don't get the opportunity to obscure their race, not if their skin is dark enough. So while white Americans can find ways to obscure their origins, erase their ethnic identity, that's almost never an option for black Americans. Therefore I think there's a pressure for any African-American to represent all African-Americans, even if there's very little cultural overlap between their life, how they were raised, and how others were raised.

There's a distinct difference between social groups that are physically obvious and those that are not. A white American could be a southern redneck or a Northeast blueblood or a Seattle hipster, but since it's difficult to distinguish between those, and whites are still for the moment the majority of the population, it's sort of live and let live. African-Americans remain physically distinct, and a minority, so they are treated, and therefore pressured to react, as one group.

Real solid take Autumn and one I think bears a lot of merit
Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #60
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

Ya, I can definitely understand the pressure for minorities to positively represent other minorities, in the face of societal racism, in any society. It's harder to understand the type of pressure the ESPN guy was talking about here - where symbols of non-athletic success are viewed as somehow offensive to the minority race. That more general success is a "white thing" and undesirable. That kind of view certainly doesn't make it any easier to "obscure" ones race, if that's the goal.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #61
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I think just plain stupid fits this as well as anything

There's definitely that too.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #62
molson
General Manager

And I think maybe we're giving this ESPN guy too much credit by trying to even engage this in a rational way. It appears he has a problem with interracial marriage. He wasn't making some honest intellectual point here.

Last edited by molson : 12-14-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #63
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Ya, I can definitely understand the pressure for minorities to positively represent other minorities, in the face of societal racism, in any society. It's harder to understand the type of pressure the ESPN guy was talking about here - where symbols of non-athletic success are viewed as somehow offensive to the minority race. That more general success is a "white thing" and undesirable. That kind of view certainly doesn't make it any easier to "obscure" ones race, if that's the goal.

No, clearly this attitude doesn't help. I was just distinguishing why it would happen in the case of African-Americans and not whites. There tends to be a sense from whites of "why don't they stop doing that," as if it's just a choice being made that white Kentuckians don't make.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #64
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I'm not touching this with a 15-foot pole.

So according to Ben, this thread has some street cred.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #65
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

If this is what black people are worried about then I am not sure what to say... So I would be considered a cornball brother? I have dated white women, graduated college, stayed out of trouble... so I am a cornball? I mean this with the utmost disrespect... but fuck black people who think like that.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #66
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
but fuck people who think like that.

Fixed that for ya.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #67
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
If this is what black people are worried about then I am not sure what to say... So I would be considered a cornball brother? I have dated white women, graduated college, stayed out of trouble... so I am a cornball? I mean this with the utmost disrespect... but fuck ALL people who think like that.

As long as you have braids though you are good my friend
Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #68
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
As long as you have braids though you are good my friend
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #69
finketr
College Prospect

Judge a man by the content of his character and not the color of his skin.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #70
molson
General Manager

Ya, braids trump all, maybe that's the positive progress we should be focused on here. Even if you earn success as defined by traditional "white" metrics, you can still be accepted by that reluctant portion of the black community if you have the braids. Hey, that's a start!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #71
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Ya, braids trump all, maybe that's the positive progress we should be focused on here. Even if you earn success as defined by traditional "white" metrics, you can still be accepted by that reluctant portion of the black community if you have the braids. Hey, that's a start!

That's the thinking I use, it allows me to be married to a black woman and still be accepted in the in the skinhead community since I shave my head.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #72
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I cut my dreads off. So I guess I am a square.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #73
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

I still love ya brother
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #74
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post

Judge a man by the content of his character and not the color of his skin.

FTMFW!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #75
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I believe the correct term is "cornball brother." I guess. I mean, I've never heard that term before but that's the one the ESPN guy used. Though I'd think being compared to RGIII would be considered a massive compliment, but what do I know.

Last edited by molson : 12-14-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #76
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Did the ban-hammer come down in this thread?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I'm guessing this topic will get covered by the ESPN ombudsman within a few weeks. That section is one of the only reasons I go to ESPN anymore.

I thought the ombudsman program ended a few months ago? Was it just the Poynter involvement with it that ended?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #78
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

When I think of the phrase cornball brother, I am reminded of Christmas in my youth, when my brother and I would go insane over grandmas caramel popcorn balls. Also, RG III. Both are pretty awesome.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #79
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I thought the ombudsman program ended a few months ago? Was it just the Poynter involvement with it that ended?

To be honest, I hadn't checked out anything over there in months. Probably since mid-summer.

The Poynter Institute's involvement is certainly done.

Poynter Review Project Blog Blog - ESPN

The Ombudsman program, not certain.

ESPN partners for Poynter Review Project - ESPN

They reference that the Institute's involvement continued what had been start in the ombudsman program earlier. So, no idea whether now that their term has ended, will the position bill filled by an individual again.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #80
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

As a white guy, I sometimes talk about other white people in terms of "hillbilly" and "white trash". I never thought of it as being racist or bigoted, but I guess on further reflection it probably is. I don't know how much this parallels what the ESPN guy said, though. I mean, I'm not saying some redneck *isn't* white, he's just a different kind of white than me. So I'm not saying the same thing at all as "RGIII isn't really black" I guess.

Fuck, racism is confusing...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #81
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I believe the correct term is "cornball brother." I guess. I mean, I've never heard that term before but that's the one the ESPN guy used. Though I'd think being compared to RGIII would be considered a massive compliment, but what do I know.

I think since Noop has outed himself as a "cornball brother" it is appropriate for him to use the word "square".
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #82
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Not exactly a ton of cornball brothas in this part of the country, but to the extent there are brothas there at all, a great deal are of the cornball variety.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #83
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I can't wait for Merril Hoge to chime in on the different shades of cracker later tonight. I can't wait to finally be classified correctly. Hooray for E!SPN
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #84
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If this is what black people are worried about then I am not sure what to say... So I would be considered a cornball brother? I have dated white women, graduated college, stayed out of trouble... so I am a cornball? I mean this with the utmost disrespect... but fuck black people who think like that.

You fuckin cornball lawyer. Don't you know you should be a failure?

(sarcasm)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #85
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
You fuckin cornball lawyer. Don't you know you should be a failure?

(sarcasm)

Cornball who is going to make 3k a week this summer
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #86
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fuck man - that's some nice bank!

In NYC? Or elsewhere?

I'm still pissed you didn't come to Boston for school .
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #87
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For 3K a week, you could call me a lot of stuff

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #88
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

FOFC should trademark the phrase...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #89
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am pretty sure I would be considered a cornball lawyer. I am not particularly lawyerly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #90
mckerney
Coordinator

There's a lawyer who specializes in cornball accidents? Excellent!

Last edited by mckerney : 12-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #91
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sonny's BBQ has corn nuggets. Sweet creamed corn, deep fried with ranch dressing. MMmmmmmm...mmmmM!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #92
molson
General Manager

I consider myself something of a "nugget lawyer".
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #93
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I made a comment to a white girl at work today involving the phrase "my black ass" and she responded with "Come on, you're not black." I can't wait to drop the phrase "my cornball brother ass."
Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #94
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Did not know that molson was Klinger.

I wouldn;t say "racist" but there definitely is, politically, some "how black are you" political movements. See the races in Detroit when Freeman Hendrix ran against Kwame Kilpatrick or the Booker vs James fight in Newark. The races definitely come down to "who is blacker" in many contexts.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #95
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I wouldn;t say "racist" but there definitely is, politically, some "how black are you" political movements. See the races in Detroit when Freeman Hendrix ran against Kwame Kilpatrick or the Booker vs James fight in Newark. The races definitely come down to "who is blacker" in many contexts.

Just seems...odd, that if someone isn't 'X color' enough or they are successful, to give them a hard time or resort to trying to belittle them. Seems counterintuitive to the whole racial equality problems this country has had. Logically, you would think that people would be asking, 'how' and try to emulate that persons success, instead of putting them down. Admittedly, I'm very ignorant about this subject, so I may just be over thinking it or even more simply...I just don't get it.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #96
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Just seems...odd, that if someone isn't 'X color' enough or they are successful, to give them a hard time or resort to trying to belittle them. Seems counterintuitive to the whole racial equality problems this country has had. Logically, you would think that people would be asking, 'how' and try to emulate that persons success, instead of putting them down. Admittedly, I'm very ignorant about this subject, so I may just be over thinking it or even more simply...I just don't get it.

I've seen this all of the time where getting a good education or even being academically inclined was a 'whitey' thing or among rednecks, a 'snobby' thing.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #97
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Fuck man - that's some nice bank!

In NYC? Or elsewhere?

I'm still pissed you didn't come to Boston for school .

I was temped to transfer to Harvard or Yale, but I could not turn down Law Review and Moot Court. The Firm I am working for has offices everywhere (except Miami-Ft.Lauderdale) I am leaning toward Atlanta because I know nothing about New York.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #98
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
For 3K a week, you could call me a lot of stuff

SI

Lol. I am humbled to receive the opportunity. OCI's for me was very good. Truly blessed for the job. Now the other stuff that has occurred this year? Well I am drinking to numb the pain. LOL.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #99
fortheglory
Mascot

Is this the same reasons the vetting of Susan Rice is racism despite the fact Condi Rice has already served as Secretary of State?
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #100
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

There's a lawyer who specializes in cornball accidents? Excellent!

+1.

Do we have a thread exclusively dedicated to AD references?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote