Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

We hardly knew thee Stuart Mclean

Stuart McLean, CBC Radio host and award-winning humorist, dead at 68 - Entertainment - CBC News

Stuart Mclean dead at 68. Most of you probably haven't had the pleasure of hearing his radio show, the Vinyl Cafe, which has been on the CBC for the past 30? years. I think the northern US gets the show and in recent years it has been aired on NPR. For those of you less familiar he crafted a fictional world centered around a record store, the Vinyl Cafe, where Dave and ex roadie works. There are many other great characters, Morley his wife, Kenny, owner of Kenny Wong's Scottish Meat Pies, and his children Stephanie and Sam. The stories are often funny, sometimes sad and quite touching. There are many memorable stories like Dave cooks the turkey, Fireworks, when their dog passes away.

It was Apple's podcast of the year in 2011 and if you haven't heard of it I would suggest checking it out. I'm not sure how the podcasts are set up but the radio show is a 10 minute intro about the town where the live show is coming from, a localish musical act, a listener story, more music, then the main story.

Just checking, there are 20 stories free in the iTunes podcenter, I hope those who get to check them out enjoy them.

Vinyl Cafe Stories from CBC Radio by CBC on iTunes

nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
SirBlurton
High School Varsity

Thanks for posting this....this one was a gut punch.

My wife and I had gone to his Christmas shows every year we were together. Were disappointed when he cancelled but hoped he'd rally and be back again.

Very talented man, really tapped into something real and deep and human. Highly recommend checking out his work if you aren't familiar.
SirBlurton is offline   Reply With Quote