Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #5301
RainMaker
General Manager

I feel like ESPN is going a little overboard with the Little League World Series.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #5302
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I feel like ESPN is going a little overboard with the Little League World Series.

I saw a bunch of people on twitter last week saying the same thing and then it got into a discussion about ESPN exploiting kids to make money, etc.

My take on it, as a dad with a daughter the same age as these kids who plays softball, is all the coverage is great. I can understand why someone not in my position would only be interested in watching the final game on Sunday on ABC like they've always done, but I think there's value for kids in being able to watch their peers perform on this kind of stage. My daughter has DVR'd about 20 games so far.

That said, what passes for little league softball (they showed several of the games last week) was pathetic. My guess is there are maybe a dozen states with legit little league softball leagues in this country, because the quality of play was poor. My daughter's team could have competed with any of the teams in the final 4. I think the reason little league isn't popular, at least in softball, is because of the mandatory participation rules. It's too much like rec ball, which drives people to travel teams where those rules don't exist.

The other issue, the exploitation...I mean, if they want to unionize and feel like they ought to be paid, then fine. But I get the feeling that for 98.9% of the kids and their parents, they don't mind and are happy to have memories they can record on their home TV. I don't really think it's exploitation if the people being exploited know the deal and don't object. But it's undoubtedly good, cheap programming for ESPN.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #5303
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Went to my son's school open house yesterday and got his bus schedule. The schedule has him on a bus for FOUR FUCKING HOURS per day. We live in a development 3 1/2 miles from the school, the entrance to which is on the same road the school is on. WTF?

How odd to see this from somewhere else ... the town I grew up in is up in arms over the same kind of situation, the kids weren't getting home until nearly 6p (they left school at 3p) during the first week.

What really has them searching for pitchforks & torches though is a new bus stop system that has kids walking a mile or more in the dark (no streetlights) because the school's insurer allegedly suddenly refused to allow the buses to enter private neighborhoods (i.e. subdivisions) after doing so for pretty much the entire existence of not only the developments but also the school system.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #5304
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

On the other hand, I've been looking for the Warner Robins team score online before looking at the major league scoreboards.

Alas, their run came to an end yesterday, so I'll pay attention again once they get to the finals.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #5305
Ksyrup

Damn. In our town, the busses pick the kids up at their homes. We don't even have to worry about walking to the end of the street or anything.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #5306
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
On the other hand, I've been looking for the Warner Robins team score online before looking at the major league scoreboards.

Alas, their run came to an end yesterday, so I'll pay attention again once they get to the finals.

They got screwed due to the fact that they played the hometown team and the umps, either consciously or subconsciously, felt compelled to help them along their way to a cinderella/ESPN fairytale ending.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-24-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #5307
Ksyrup

I'm wrestling with a client whose business plan, I am not shitting you, is basically the business plan of the Underpants Gnomes (replacing underpants with this service they want to offer). And no matter how many ideas I shoot down, they keep coming back to the idea and wanting to make money, but have no idea how to get there. I'm trying my best, but all I can do is say "no" and paper the file with a memo explaining why.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #5308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm wrestling with a client whose business plan, I am not shitting you, is basically the business plan of the Underpants Gnomes (replacing underpants with this service they want to offer). And no matter how many ideas I shoot down, they keep coming back to the idea and wanting to make money, but have no idea how to get there. I'm trying my best, but all I can do is say "no" and paper the file with a memo explaining why.

Must be an extended full moon or something, we're dealing with a similarly bizarre request from a (prospective) client at the moment. They're actually in business & making money but damned if they aren't every bit as clueless in their recent requests.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #5309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Damn. In our town, the busses pick the kids up at their homes. We don't even have to worry about walking to the end of the street or anything.

That's how my old hometown has been for at least 40 years, so the change hasn't exactly been met with open arms. A textbook case of politicians failing to explain themselves in any coherent fashion hasn't helped a bit either.

My own guess, from a distance? That the insurer story is largely b.s. and that the real motivation is budgetary, the new routes/system has taken at least a couple of buses off the road & seems to cut the total mileage even for remaining routes. The irony is that they could probably sell that story a lot better than the one they're using.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #5310
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I saw a bunch of people on twitter last week saying the same thing and then it got into a discussion about ESPN exploiting kids to make money, etc.

My take on it, as a dad with a daughter the same age as these kids who plays softball, is all the coverage is great. I can understand why someone not in my position would only be interested in watching the final game on Sunday on ABC like they've always done, but I think there's value for kids in being able to watch their peers perform on this kind of stage. My daughter has DVR'd about 20 games so far.

That said, what passes for little league softball (they showed several of the games last week) was pathetic. My guess is there are maybe a dozen states with legit little league softball leagues in this country, because the quality of play was poor. My daughter's team could have competed with any of the teams in the final 4. I think the reason little league isn't popular, at least in softball, is because of the mandatory participation rules. It's too much like rec ball, which drives people to travel teams where those rules don't exist.

The other issue, the exploitation...I mean, if they want to unionize and feel like they ought to be paid, then fine. But I get the feeling that for 98.9% of the kids and their parents, they don't mind and are happy to have memories they can record on their home TV. I don't really think it's exploitation if the people being exploited know the deal and don't object. But it's undoubtedly good, cheap programming for ESPN.

I don't think it's bad for the kids or exploitive in any way. I remember being ecstatic when a little league game we played would get on local access. I imagine there is some money going to Little League and it's being used properly.

It just seemed like they were overdoing it a bit. They broke into a Monday Night Preseason NFL game to give an update on a score on ESPN2. Just seemed weird to me. I'm all for using it as filler on their networks, but not sure it deserves billing over major sports on SportsCenter.

I'd be curious to see the ratings on it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #5311
Ksyrup

Cue the guy who posted above you...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #5312
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd be curious to see the ratings on it.

.3 to .4 in A18-49 last Thursday, Friday & this Monday. Looks very consistent in that sample. Total viewers look fairly decent though, consistently beating all sorts of shows that you'd recognize by name.

Thu - 1.36m total, ahead of anything for the night on Food, Comedy, FX, TLC among others. Also 50% larger than the NFL Live episode that followed

Fri - 1.35m total viewers, beat similar competition, same edge over NFL Live too

Sat - I don't see cable overnights for Saturday at the moment

Sun - I don't see a LLWS game but it's notable that Sunday Night Baseball (MLB) drew the same .4 A18-49 rating that the LLWS has hit at times. Total audience for MLB was about 1.5m.

Mon - 4pm game hit a .4 18-49 with 1.55m total viewers, 8pm was .3 / 1.4m
By comparison, Monday Night Countdown between games did a .6 / 1.475m

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #5313
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My dad and i agreed that it was way over the top after we had to watch a 5 minute segment on SportsCenter that culminated with some kid doing the Dougie. I'd rather watch WNBA highlights I think.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #5314
Ksyrup

I think they decided that because we're in a lull in sports, without much to feature other than baseball (exhibition football, yay!), they would treat LLWS like X-Games - make it a featured, week(s)-long "event" with special coverage, since they have nothing else live to show.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #5315
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I personally like it. It's allowing the international teams to have an audience and allowing their countries to watch it. (If they do)

It's a breath of fresh air over the negative news and bitching that happens on a consistent basis anymore.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #5316
Ksyrup

I presume that the late morning/early afternoon games resulted in less Skip Bayless on the air, so that's certainly a positive development.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #5317
JediKooter
Coordinator

As long as Joe Buck stays away, I'm cool with it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #5318
molson
General Manager

Why the little league world series gets a decent audience:

Last edited by molson : 08-24-2011 at 12:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #5319
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
My dad and i agreed that it was way over the top after we had to watch a 5 minute segment on SportsCenter that culminated with some kid doing the Dougie. I'd rather watch WNBA highlights I think.

Whoa.....let's not get too crazy here over this.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #5320
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

The World Court or someone should step in and only allow one person to ever do the dougie. And she should be compelled to do it nonstop.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #5321
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The World Court or someone should step in and only allow one person to ever do the dougie. And she should be compelled to do it nonstop.
Clearly, you're talking about me, but I'm not a "she", thanks.

I can't figure out why people keep calling me Kate, but no matter.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #5322
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Because Kate, they are sick of having to disinfect the Mrs. Butterworth bottle every time you visit.

Besides... I thought you hated it when people call you "Katherine."

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 08-24-2011 at 04:10 PM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #5323
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Because sometimes there's a need for subtlety and other times less so. And I like watching it.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #5324
JediKooter
Coordinator

I thought it was the junk in the trunk that endeared so many to Kate.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #5325
MJ4H
Coordinator

There are many many many wonderful aspects of that girl that are endearing.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #5326
PilotMan
Head Coach

More a random thought than a cool image.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #5327
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
More a random thought than a cool image.

Dear lord, I have basically done that...and it was recently..

I seriously wonder how the hell I am not did with all the dumb shit I have done over the years.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #5328
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Further proof FB buttons are woefully lacking in options. I get you can recommend articles on your page, but there should be others besides 'LIKE'.

Or, yeah, this person is a jerk.

This could most likely be what happens to me often - accidentally hitting "like" without knowing it on my BB FB app. I've done it several times and realized later when I see that "you and 3 others like this" notification.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #5329
Ksyrup

Quote:

As a follow-up to this, I just had a good conversation with the lead attorney on this matter where I successfully used the Underpants Gnomes analogy. And then he added in Beavis & Butthead. So I think we're on the right track.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #5330
Ksyrup

Also, as a follow-up on the LLWS and paying the players (which has become a big issue on twitter and for some journalists), I generally don't buy the idea that Disney and LL are the big bad meanies making huge profits by exploiting the kids, since I don't see anyone complaining about it, but I have to say I am a bit curious about who is getting paid for the Russell Athletic logos on the kid's eye black. Because that seems a bit over the top.

If ESPN/LL are getting paid an advertising fee from Russell for sticking their logo underneath a kid's eye, then I think i have a problem with that.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #5331
cuervo72
Head Coach

My guess is that there might be money going back to the athletic association/league/parent organization for the team (however that is set up).
Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #5332
Ksyrup

I think it might be going to the national LL organization - I saw an article yesterday talking about its revenues and profits, and they were huge. It may filter down, obviously, in terms of what the parent organization does for its individual leagues in paying for equipment, parks, etc., but I'm guessing there's no direct money going to the teams in this WS. But I don't know.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-25-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #5333
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it might be going to the national LL organization ...

Russell Athletic Renews Agreement with Little League Baseball and Softball

Russell Athletic will continue to supply the team uniforms for all eight Little League Baseball and Softball World Series as a result of the two organizations reaching a multi-year agreement. Russell Athletic will be the “Official Uniform Provider of the Little League Baseball and Softball World Series.”

The renewal of the contract continues a long-standing relationship between Russell Athletic and Little League Baseball and Softball that dates back more than 30 years.

edit to add: Here was the part of that press release from back in March 2011 that blew my mind
Another part of the contract renewal with Russell Athletic now allows for the each player that participates in all eight of the Little League World Series to keep their game jersey.

You mean they hadn't been allowed to keep them in the past?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-25-2011 at 10:17 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #5334
JediKooter
Coordinator

Jon is like the wikipedia of stuff that's not in wikipedia.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #5335
Ksyrup

I wonder if they make it voluntary - the eye black thing - or if each team has to have so many. Because not all of them do it. Just seems a tad...uncomfortable, maybe? It's one thing to put patches on a uniform, but a logo under a kid's eye?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #5336
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Jon is like the wikipedia of stuff that's not in wikipedia.

Google is my friend
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #5337
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'd bet a dollar that this article about the Keystone/Clinton Co, PA team explains the whole eye black thing.
Local boys sport new uniforms, gear at LLWS - Lockhaven.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - The Express

A new color scheme and uniform isn't the only thing the boys were presented with as they began their journey in South Williamsport.

Tuesday, all the players were presented with a baseball gear makeover as they received just about every piece of equipment a kid needs to play ball.

From bats to batting gloves and shoes, it was a rewarding day to be a Little Leaguer at the complex.

It's not hard to imagine that among all the new gear was the logo'ed eye black, which likely seemed very cool to a lot of the players & they decided to put it on.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #5338
spleen1015
Coordinator

Fucking Best Buy.

The 360 that I bought back in November started locking up on me on Saturday. After about 2-5 minutes of just having it on and it would lock up.

So, I take it over to Best Buy to get it taken care of. They send it off and they send me a refurb in the mail and I get it yesterday.

It doesn't have a HD in it. So, I'm pretty much dead in the water. They told me this morning that a HD should have been shipped with it, so they'll have to escalate and get it sent to me.

I was really looking forward to playing Saints Row, damn it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #5339
Rizon
Pro Starter

Hart Island, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #5340
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Google is my friend

The Google Foo is strong with you.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #5341
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Fucking Best Buy.

The 360 that I bought back in November started locking up on me on Saturday. After about 2-5 minutes of just having it on and it would lock up.

So, I take it over to Best Buy to get it taken care of. They send it off and they send me a refurb in the mail and I get it yesterday.

It doesn't have a HD in it. So, I'm pretty much dead in the water. They told me this morning that a HD should have been shipped with it, so they'll have to escalate and get it sent to me.

I was really looking forward to playing Saints Row, damn it.

This is why Microsoft repair has you keep all that stuff, including the faceplate. They want just the console body itself.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #5342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
The Google Foo is strong with you.

Find or find not. There is no search.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #5343
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Find or find not. There is no search.

Haha! YES!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #5344
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
This is why Microsoft repair has you keep all that stuff, including the faceplate. They want just the console body itself.

I asked about that when I turned it in. The Geeksquad dude said you couldn't take the HD out of the new 360 Slim model.

So, I get the new one and after it doesn't work, I see that you can in fact take it out. I asked them about that on the phone this morning and they said the problem I described could be HD related so they took the whole thing.

It is all a bunch of bullshit, but whatever. I don't play the 360 much, but it is still a pain in the ass.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #5345
molson
General Manager

I love random islands of unclear purpose. Especially the ones in the Indian or Pacific Oceans that just have random groups of English or French-speaking people for some reason. (Reunion, Pitcairn, Saint Helena).

Last edited by molson : 08-25-2011 at 02:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #5346
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love random islands of unclear purpose. Especially the ones in the Indian or Pacific Oceans that just have random groups of English or French-speaking people for some reason. (Reunion, Pitcairn, Saint Helena).

Right next to Hart Island, though this one might have a purpose (for birds to shit on).

Rat Island, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #5347
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My internet connection has slowed to a crawl, and even sputtered to a stop, with alarming regularity, after midnight, for the last two weeks. Anybody else have Comcast and experience similar slowdowns...I'm wondering if they're throttling me.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #5348
cuervo72
Head Coach

Amazes me that people mix up "formally" and "formerly."

/looking at you, 49ers preseason production team
Old 08-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #5349
Bad-example
College Starter

Can I have sex if I have a couple of new piercings on my wanger? Would filling the condom with Neosporin help?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #5350
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Can I have sex if I have a couple of new piercings on my wanger? Would filling the condom with Neosporin help?
absolutely
be sure to post trip report afterwards thx