Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #251
Radii
Head Coach

December 31, 2011

Ohio (5-9, 0-0 MAC) at Ball State (5-6, 0-0 MAC)

Time to see if I can salvage a little something out of this season in conference play. The Ball State team we struggled so greatly with last year has graduated its star point guard, Melvin Goins. He's replaced by a young... promising, but very raw, point guard. Their super talented SF is still around and is my biggest concern.

We don't get House back til our next game.

Scouting

PG Rod Rowe – FR – 67 OVR – Average defender, good ball handler, decent but not great speed. Good in close and from mid-range but not a big 3 point threat. Just 5 points a game, he'll score more against us but he isn't a big threat at all.

SG Jamon Diarra – SR – 72 OVR – Not great with the ball or defending, average shooter, but like Pettyjohn, he hits them when he's open.

SF Vern Pettyjohn – JR – 78 OVR – 6'6” talented forward, averaging 10 and 6 so far this year. Very good rebounder for a small forward, good defender, pretty good in the post. Great in traffic, and damn good off the dribble. Shot ratings aren't great but he hits them when he's open.

PF Kelenna Monroe – SR – 72 OVR – 6'8”, 11.5 ppg this year so far. Decent everywhere but not spectacular. 77 post defense.

C Russell Kapono – FR – 72 OVR – 7'0”, average on the boards, outstanding post offense(86), just average on D(74). 88 from close range, 81 in traffic, and a good dunker. Tons of strength(87). 7 ppg/4 rpg so far.

Backup SF Monte Blount is their second highest rated player, 76 OVR, averageing 10 points/game. He'll be a big threat off the bench.

Half
Time
OHIO
BSU
Notes
18:30
Ball State has taken 3 shots, 3-3 from 3 point range. I come out of my zone and go man to man.
14:50
Certainly going at a faster pace than I fear this team can go and stay anywhere close to rested. They're running a 3-2 defense and we're hitting the holes well. We've slowed them down for now with the switch to man defense.
14:00
A good look inside by Delic and a 3 by Massey and we pull out to a 6 point lead. Time out Ball State.
10:15
We burn a timeout to get some subs in and for some rest. Turner has 7, Massey has 5 I think, and Delic has 5 early.
6:30
Another timeout for Ball State. Massey is on fire, he has 13 now, just hit a 3 to force this time out.

HALF
Not bad, but could be better. We allowed them to make 6 3's, Pettyjohn leads them with 11, and a backup SG(Castillo) has 8.

We've gotten a ton with dribble penetration leading to kickouts or just driving to the hoop. Massey and Turner both have 12 points. Delic has 5 and Dahi 4 inside. Dahi has missed some very easy shots though.
15:00
After falling behind 46-44, Cooper hits a 3, Delic gets a bucket in the post, and Massey hits a 3. Ball State calls a time out and this equals the biggest lead either team has had so far.
12:15
We go a little cold and its back down to 2. This one seems likely to go down to the wire.
They're on an 11-3 run now and lead by 2. I call a time out to stop the bleeding.
8:10
Well the good news is that we're on a 7-2 run of our own to go back on top. The bad news is that we're in one of our 4 forward lineups. I call a timeout, I want people rested ASAP.
Another timeout as they go back up by 1 thanks to 4 straight points. We got it inside to dahi once, Delic had a shot blocked and Sessoms missed one though, could have done more inside. Our guards come back in after the time out.
6:!5
Cooper has 4 fouls now, and Ball State is in the bonus, that was our 7th. They miss the FT, but Kapono rebounds and slams it home, while being fouled... 3 point play for them.
5:20
Delic gets a 3 point play on our end but then picks up his 4th foul...
4:00
Massey gets to the line for 2 but misses both. They hit a jumper on their end to go up 6. We call a time out.
2:15
We're gassed, and missing everything from everywhere. We just don't have it in us to do this on the road.

Another open shot missed, a steal on an inbounds pass for them and 6 very fast points end this one.

Ball State 86
Ohio 76

Good effort by our 7 guys that we have worth playing. But its just not enough, the difference down the stretch was quite drastic. They end up with 20 from their man Pettyjohn, 17 from Diarra and double doubles from both their inside guys.

Turner: 19 points/5 assists
Massey: 25 points
Cooper: 8 points/6 boards
Delic: 12 points/7 boards
Dahi: 10 points/5 boards

We got 2 points out of our bench today. We get House back next game, woohoo!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #252
Radii
Head Coach

January 7, 2012

Ohio (5-10, 0-1 MAC) at Central Michigan (4-10, 0-1 MAC)

This looks like a game that will help define how competitive I can be in the MAC with this team. We were reasonably competitive against a fairly good Ball State team on the road, now if we can beat one of the worst teams on the road then perhaps we have a shot to make a little noise here.

Central Michigan is rated 73 OVR, their roster overall is worse than mine in every measure.

Scouting

PG Tunju Detrick – FR – 66 OVR – Looks more like a shooter than a floor general. He can pass decently(77 handles/72 passing) but his speed and defense are nothing special for a PG. 80 close/75 med/78 from 3, that's what we're worried about. We're obviously packing the paint against this team and Detrick will be allowed to have a big day if he can hit his shots. 5.1 ppg/5.2 apg.

SG Harvey Medina – FR – 54 OVR – He's rated 54 OVR, what do you want me to say bout him? 83 speed, 74defense, 60 mid-range, 60 3 point rating. Cooper will attempt to make him look bad if he can.

SF Marquise Laws – JR – 73 OVR – 6'10”, actually a PF. If they'll play some man to man House should dominate him off the dribble. Good rebounder, looks a lot more like a PF than SF, he doesn't look like the type that can play outside the lane at all. 5 ppg/5 rpg

PF Kyle Caskill – JR – 72 OVR - 6'9”, very good offensive player. 91 Close/84 Low post offense. Can hit the mid range jumper pretty well for a big man too(74 med). The best defensive rebounder they have. 14.6 ppg/5.9 rpg, leads the team in scoring.

C Rans Lemons – SO – 75 OVR – 7'1”, average rebounder, above average inside post game on offense, just average on defense. Good strength and hustle, only 84 close range. Averaging 12.6 ppg/6.1 rpg.

Same front court as last year, totally new backcourt. We beat them 101-77 in a game I played out last year, but it was close til the 5 minute mark and we ended the game on a 20-0 run. .

Wow, this is a team with worse depth than us in the backcourt. Detrick and Medina are the only guards on the team. They have two guys listed as SF, rated 57 and 52 OVR. They match us in front court depth and have more size and more offensive ability.
Half
Time
OHIO
CMU
Notes
13:45
All 13 of their points have come down low(one 3 point play), while all of ours except 1 free throw from Dahi have come from our guards. House didn't start because I forgot to reset my lineup, but the CPU is subbing him in.
12:20
They get a fast break basket, a couple free throws, and continue dominating inside. This worries me quite a bit.
9:00
Dahi and Sessoms both have 2 fouls inside...
7:00
We were down 11, just ran off 4 in a row. They have 6 fouls but we have 7. Turner is killing them and Cooper has gotten to the basket a couple times, but they're playing the obvious defense for them, a 2-3 zone, and we're having trouble with it.
4:45
Their backup SF rated 56 OVR is killing us for 9 points. 55 rated 3 point shot and he's 2 for 3. Just outstanding.
3:20
They block the hell out of a Delic shot and get a fast break. House misses a shot inside, they get a fast break. Massey throws a bad pass. They get a fast break. Pattern? I call a time out.
2:00
Delic picks up his 2nd foul. That's 3 of my inside players.
0:14
Turner picks up his 2nd foul.

HALF
We've got some serious foul trouble. Turner, Delic, Dahi and Sessoms all with 2 fouls each. Delic and Dahi are 0-6 and have 0 points. Turner has 14, Massey 15, Cooper 8.

Their PF Caskill has 12. Their SF(actually 6'10” PF) Las has 9. Detrick has 7, their PG that I thought might run wild on us. Their biggest stat though is 6 offensive boards and 10 second chance points. We've got 0.

If we can stay out of foul trouble, our guards can continue to run wild and we can win still if we lock down a little better inside.
16:00
We had it down to 3, 55-52, and have pretty much kept it at 3 but not been able to get closer yet. They just hit a 3 to go back up by 6 and I call a time out. Turner and Massey are doing most of the scoring, but Delic did finaly get on the board on our last possession.
14:10
Dahi picks up foul #3. I'm just happy we went this long before someone got their 3rd foul.
13:00
They got a 3 point play right after that last foul by Dahi and we picked up 4 quick team fouls, they'll be shooting again soon enough. At this point we can score at will, but so can they.
11:45
Two stops in a row lead to 5 straight points for us, 2 more from Massey, 3 from Turner. Sessoms picks up his 3rd foul, and the 5th on the team. Massey and Turner might score 30 each today.
9:15
Another run by them and its a 12 point lead again.
7:50
Dahi picks up foul #4. The offensive rebounding of Central michigan has picked up big time. 3 in the last 2 minutes.
7:10
Massey commits a reach, our 8th foul. They get the offensive board after missing the front end of the 1 and 1. House commits a foul going up on their next shot. They miss both free throws. They get another offensive board, this time Delic commits a foul, they make the shot, and its a 3 point play.
4:15
This has been a totally ridiculous game. We have no post defense/are in incredible foul trouble all game. They have no guards.

After that possession... we scored on 4 straight possessions, all layups. But they hit 3 straight 3 pointers. We were just close enough to foul to extend the game, and that made this game look even dumber. With 45 seconds to go every player on the court for me had 4 fouls. They are a bad FT shooting team, and we actually cut it down to 2 points on a 4 point play as Turner was fouled while making a 3. But they made 2 the next time down to ice it.

Central Michigan 122
Ohio 118

I have never played a game like this, and hope that I never do again. Central Michigan ended the game with 15 offensive rebounds and 20 second chance points. They took 53 free throws, in part due to the fouling at the end but we had 13 second half fouls before we started intentionally fouling. We committed 15 in the first half as a team.

On our end, they had no answer at all for our guards and we just drove the lane over and over and over. Just like they fed the post over and over and over.

Turner: 31 points/8 assists
Massey: 39 points/4 assists
Cooper: 25 points
Delic: 4 points/8 boards
Dahi: 2 points/9 boards

To go a little deeper into what the hell happened here:

Delic: 73 post defense rating, 6'7”
Dahi: 74 post defense, 6'11”
Mickalauskas: 71 post defense, 6'10”
Sessoms: 80 post defense, 6'11”

For C. Michigan:

Laws: 81 post offense, 6'10”
Caskill: 85 post offense, 6'9”
Lemons: 83 post offense, 7'1”
Granger: 79 post offense, 6'8” (their first big off the bench)

The problem should be obvious. Those four guys scored 75 of their points.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #253
Radii
Head Coach

January 12, 2012

Toledo (9-6, 2-0 MAC) at Ohio (5-11, 0-2 MAC)

Toledo is rated 77 OVR (73 O/80 D/76 Sht/83 Reb). They look like a team with a weaker offense but a solid defense. We're certainly the opposite, if anything, so it will be interesting to see how we match up. Last year we beat everyone rated close to us... this year, not so much.

We're at home in conference play for the first time though.

Scouting

PG Mychal Beckwith – JR – 71 OVR – 83 from 3, a legit 3 point threat. Only average speed, average/above average defense, and a good passer. Solid off the dribble. 10.6 ppg.

SG Doron Jacobson – JR – 71 OVR – Good defender(84), pretty good steals guy(77), pretty good passer for a SG too(73). Can score in close and from mid-range, not a 3 point shooter. 9.8 ppg.

SF Darshan Works – SR – 75 OVR – 6'8”, played PF for them last year, but SF is his natural position. 82 rated defense, 82 in close, 70 med/70 3. He's a good leaper with decent speed for a SF (82). 9.7 ppg.

PF Sammy Urbina – SR – 74 OVR – 6'6”, played SF last year for them, and that is his natural position. They switched Works and Urbina for some reason. Urbina is a better rebounder, so that'd be a good reason. He isn't a scorer though, 74 post offense/79 close. 7.8 ppg/5.8 rpg.

C BJ Janiszewski – JR – 57 OVR – 6'10, that's about all you can say about him. Actually he's rated 76 in post defense which is as good as many of our guys. But he is awful on the boards and is not a scorer at all. 2.7 ppg.

Same as last year, their backup at SF, Kirby McLeod, leads the team in scoring with over 12 points per game.

Small dilemma here. Jacobson and backup McLeod are both shoot first guys despite the fact that they're only average shooters. I can play a zone and hope that they jack up a ton from 3, but I risk Beckwith hurting me if I do that. It'll trigger our fast break a lot though. I'm going to start out in a zone and try to get their bad shooters launching 3's. If they're hot, or if Beckwith hurts us, we go man to man.

One last note is that their juniors have all played a lot except for Janiszewski. Their team unity is 54 already.

Half
Time
OHIO
TOL
Notes
14:45
This is the perfect matchup for us. They have a bad 3 point shooter launching 3's, they're not fast to get back to defend the fast break, and they play a 3-2 defense with huge cutting and driving lanes in it. They call a timeout.
13:20
They call another timeout. House has our last 5 points in the half court set. This makes me quite happy as his confidence is low after his injury.
9:30
They scored a few pretty quick there and actually had it down to 8 but a Sessoms 3 point play and a 3 by Massey give us the edge back.

HALF
That just flew by. So we grew our lead by taking advantage of a weak 3-2 zone, and running. Then they switched to a 2-3. Then we hit 11 3 pointers. That's right, we're 11-19 from 3. How hot are we from 3? Cooper has 3 of them. Massey and Turner each have 4. Turner was of course the beneficiary of the early fast breaking as well, but not as big as some games. He has 22 total, but 12 of that is from behind the arc. 14 for Cooper and Massey.

They're not shooting as bad from 3 as I'd hoped. They are 8-22. That's not good, but its not terrible either.
19:00
Dahi picks up fouls #2 and #3 in the first minute of the 2nd half.
14:50
Trying to slow the game down some, but they've gone on a little run to make it 15 now. Turner has definitely gone cold this half.
18 points in a 7 minute stretch for us. That's technically slowing the pace way down from the first half. I've held the ball for the entire shot clock the last couple times down. Turner hit 3's at the end of each possession, but yeah... those 3's are his only points of the half so far.
2:05
We've been burning clock with some success but haven't been getting our shots towards the end to fall. A 3 point play by Beckwith last possession cuts the lead under 10, making it at least a little interesting.

Ok so it could have been an interesting ending if we hadn't scored and they missed their next shot.

Ohio 99
Toledo 85

Two track meets in a row here. This one benefited us the entire way though, instead of us pressing like crazy trying to keep up/catch up.

In the end it was their SF Works that did the most damage, he scored 21. He had decent 3 point range for a bigger guy and got hot against our zone for a bit, while also making some plays inside. Our strategy worked alright though, they went 14-40 from 3, including 2-12 from Jacobson, the guy I really wanted launching them.

Turner: 28 points/10 assists
Cooper: 25 points/6 assists
House: 11 points/6 boards/4 assists
Delic: 5 points/8 boards
Dahi: 3 points/11 boards

Massey: 16 points
Sessoms: 9 points/12 boards

Sessoms' work is worth a mention today, he went 4-4 inside and almost put up a double double. Its good to see House come back to full strength with a productive day as well, and Cooper is starting to show what he can do when he's on.

Last edited by Radii : 03-02-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #254
Radii
Head Coach

January 15, 2012

Eastern Michigan (6-11, 1-2 MAC) at Ohio (6-11, 1-2 MAC)

Rated 72 OVR, Eastern Michigan is one of the worst rated teams in the league. They were just as bad last year, we beat them twice but both in games I simmed so I don't know much about them. All of our ratings(even coaching, where I am one of the lower rated coaches in the league) are better than these guys.

Scouting

PG WB McCoy – SO - 69 OVR – Looks like their best 3 point shooter(74), and their best defender by far(85, pretty good actually). Good speed but not a good ball handler for a PG. 9.2 ppg

SG Cruz Garner – JR – 71 OVR – decent speed, decent shooting(79 close/75 med/71 3), average defense at best(76). If this is their most talented player we're in great shape. 10.9 ppg, leading them so far.

SF Freddie Stehly – SO – 71 OVR – average/below average defense(73), not very fast, 82 in close, 74/70 from med and 3 point ranges. Looks like a pretty good leaper and dunker. 10 points per game and 6.2 rebounds. 6'5”

PF Dexter Valdez – FR – 55 OVR – 6'9”, terrible rebounder, terrible in the post(all ratings below 70), 85 in close but nothing else to go with it at 5.2 ppg.

C Keith Buchanan – SO – 65 OVR – 6'9”, actually a PF. Terrible rebounder(66 drg!), not good in the post on either side, 86 in close. 7 ppg.

Well this is a game we ought to win with ease.
Half
Time
OHIO
EMU
Notes
12:00
We've gotten it in deep do Dahi a few times, and Turner has 6 points in various ways. We're playing man to man defense since we seem to have an edge pretty much everywhere.
6:15
Defense is playing strong today, and the offense is clicking, we're not trying to run or force it much, just running our offense. Dahi is in line for a very good game

HALF
They start scoring a bit and cut the lead down to 11(33-22). We finish strong and lead by 17 at the break. Dahi is the man for us so far, he has 12 points/8 boards. Turner has 8 as well. We're shooting 50% and have only taken 4 3 pointers(0-4 so far), while we've really held them down, they're shooting 30% from the floor.
15:50
They hit a couple 3's out of the gate, but Turner heats up for us, scoring our last 5 points before an EMU timeout.

We lead 67-40 with 10:50 to go and I sim the rest of the game.

Ohio 94
Eastern Michigan 60

Turner: 22 points
Cooper: 8 points
House: 5 points/4 assists
Delic: 21 points/9 boards
Dahi: 16 points/10 boards

Massey: 10 points/8 assists

Dahi did nothing at all after I simmed it, those were the stats he had in the first 30 minutes. Delic looks to have taken over after that.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #255
Radii
Head Coach

January 20, 2012

Ohio (7-11, 2-2 MAC) at Miami (OH) (6-9, 1-3 MAC)

Another team we appear to have a big edge over. Miami is rated only 71 OVR(71 Off/72 Def/72 Sht/83 Reb). This one is on the road though, so its time to prove we can win a conference road game.

Scouting

PG Dee Lalugba – SR – 70 OVR – First year starting, I remember him coming off the bench when we played last year though. Not a good passer for a PG(he's actually a natural SG), not really great on D either(79 def, 60 dawr). 84 close/74 med/70 3, not a huge outside threat either. He is pretty good in traffic and is 6'7”. 6.7 ppg.

SG Dragutin Baker – JR – 76 OVR – Good speed, quickness, and defense(90 spd/81 qck/83 def). Not a great outside shooter though which we like to see (86 close/74 med/70 3). Outstanding offensive awareness for this level(77), and not bad on defense (71). 8.1 ppg, 2nd on the team.

SF Korey Gourde – JR – 54 OVR – just awful. 70 def, 75 close/59 med/45 3. Not good at anything.

PF Cristano Blalock – SO – 69 OVR – 6'10”, not great in the post, not great rebounding (78 drb), decent but again not great inside(83 close). 5.4 ppg.

C Hashin Friend – SR – 70 OVR – 7'0”. Just average on the boards, post offense and defensive awareness are his biggest traits though(81 low post offense, 75 defensive awareness). 88 close range shot and 81 in traffic. He's by far their best scorer, leading the MAC with 20.6 ppg and also pulling in 7.4 rebounds.

Their bench is horrible, they have no bench players rated above 60 OVR.

Half
Time
OHIO
MIA
Notes
14:15
The first subs come in for each team. We've drawn 1 foul on Friend, Baker is the one hurting us so far, no surprise there I guess since we're in a zone. House is having no luck up against Gourde the times they've been in man to man.
12:30
Baker hits his 3rd 3 pointer, has 13 points, and we call a time out and switch to man to man. Time for Friend to own us.
Well this is going poorly. They're still raining 3's and have added some fast break buckets on top of it.
Well we've finally started scoring as they've had to rotate backups in, but we're still not slowing them down much. We'd cut it to 10 at one point and they scored 5 straight after that... their ball with a 12 point lead now.
6 straight points from Turner and a bucket inside by Dahi key an 8-2 run that get the lead under 10.

HALF
When we switched to man to man defense they hit a couple more 3 pointers, but once we hit the 9:30 mark, we only allowed 13 more points, so it seems like things are improving overall.

Baker is 4-8 from 3 point range and has a ridiculous 18 points. Friend only has 6 total, on 3-4 shooting.

Turner is 6-7 including 1-1 from 3 and has 15 points. House has 8, not scoring at will against their poor forwards, but getting by his man often enough for easy baskets. Dahi has 5, Delic has been a total non factor.
16:30
Dahi with our last 4 points down low and we've taken the lead for the first time today.
15:40
We draw the 3rd foul on their PF, Blalock and he sits. I'd rather Friend be sitting but they have such weak depth that any starters off the court is a huge advantage for us.
13:30
After going up 55-49, Miami OH has scored the last 7, including a 3 point play inside over Dahi, his 2nd foul. I call a time out to keep the crowd settled down and hopefully squash their momentum.
7:45
A little back and forth but after a 60-60 tie Miami is on a 9-2 run. We call another time out to try to keep this from getting too bad. Baker scored 5 of the 9 after not doing anything at all for the first 10 minutes of the half.
5:00
Turner has hit 3 3-pointers since our last time out, keeping us in the game single-handedly right now.
2:15
We had the lead down to 2, 76-74... they've scored 7 straight since. Massey hit a 3 and they immediately hit one to go back up 5. We've taken a bad shot and turned it over once, leading to 4 more quick Miami points. I just took my last time out.

Friend dominates the last two minutes, with a blocked shot on defense and 6 points on offense, no way in hell we were coming back once we fell behind there.

Miami (OH) 91
Ohio 76

It feels like they only had two players on the court worth having, but between the two of them we were always giving someone an easy look... Baker hit 5-11 from 3 and 8-16 from the floor for 27 points(poor 3 point rating be damned I guess!). Friend scored 18, 12 of them in the 2nd half.

Turner: 30 points/2 assists (5-7 from 3)
Cooper: 9 points/4 assists
House: 10 points/5 boards
Delic: 2 points/9 boards
Dahi: 9 points/11 boards

Massey: 8 points

Massey was cold from 3, Delic was just dominated by the bigger men inside. He shot 1-7 today. I think if we play them at our place we win very easily, their depth is so bad, without the boosts from the crowd i'm not sure if they'd have the energy down the stretch to put the game away.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 AM   #256
Radii
Head Coach

So yeah, last night I pulled an all night marathon session watching season 3 of The Wire, and thanks to that screwing up the old sleep schedule again, I'm wide awake and itching to keep this season moving. Unfortunately, I want it moving to get it over with as much as anything right now I should probably want to try a lot harder to make this team compete at a higher level, but I really just want to not have my season bomb too badly, and add some more depth for next year and see how the progression goes for my guys.

Anyway, my next two games are against Bowling Green and Akron, two teams I had some heated contests with last year. I'll probably start simming out half my games the rest of the way after I play those two.

January 21, 2012

Bowling Green (10-7, 3-2 MAC) at Ohio (7-12, 2-3 MAC)

Rated 80 OVR, Bowling Green is the second highest rated team in the conference. 82 Off/80 Def/84 Sht/83 Reb and they look a good deal stronger than us as a whole. We split our games against them last year, and it looks like they return 4 starters from last year's team, but they did graduate their point guard.

Scouting

PG Clinton Moya – FR – 71 OVR – Moya is actually listed as a SF, and he isn't a great ball handler or passer or speedster. He's a decent shooter (84 close/73 med/70 from 3), but not a great defender or a good guy to have at PG. 6.2 ppg.

SG Wallace Mason – SR – 84 OVR – Mason is projected as a 2nd round pick in the NBA, the only guy I've seen so far in the MAC that is considered NBA material. With great speed and quickness(90/88), great defense(87), and great shooting (88 3 point rating, 86 offf the dribble, 85 in traffic, 83 clutch), this guy is truly special. He's averaging 17 points/7 boards/4 assists a game this year.

SF Anil Akins – JR – 77 OVR – Akins is a 6'7” junior, overshadowed a bit by Mason but very dangerous. An outstanding rebounder(83 o/81 d) and a very good scorer(84 close/82 med/71 3), he's their 3rd leading scorer with 11.1 points per game.

PF Clif Ahvenniemi – JR – 71 OVR – 6'8”, a decent rebounder(78 o/81 d), a good post defender(83) but not a huge offensive threat. Not that they need another offensive threat. 3.8 ppg/4.1 rpg.

C Tarick Minter – SR – 77 OVR – only 6'9”. Average on the boards, above average in the post, 81 post offense rating worries me. He's strong and a decent scorer, scoring almost as much as Mason this year at 16.6 ppg.

They don't have a deep bench but their top 8 are WAY more talented than our top 8. We really need to just hope that Mason doesn't have too great a day and that we can take advantage of Moya playing out of position. Also, to pile on, their team unity is 60 with 4 returning starters. Ours is up to 42 now.

Half
Time
OHIO
BGU
Notes
We're trying to keep this game slowed to a crawl, if I can break I will but I haven't seen any chances to run so far. After they score I'm letting 3-4 seconds run off before inbounding, and running the shot clock down to 25 or so before starting my offense, just to try to make sure this one stays as close as possible. Cooper has all 8 of our points, 2 3's and a drive to the bucket leading to 2 free throws.
8:45
We've done a great job on the offensive boards, I've been passing the ball out on most of the offensive rebounds and stretching our possession times out over a minute in some cases. Delic and Cooper aren't exactly guys I want going up with it in the trees anyway. Turner has missed 3 open shots, but Massey has scored our last 5.
Timeout Bowling Green. So far so good. Massey missed a 3, they tried to run on the long rebound, which is usually a smart idea, but Turner blocked Akins shot off the drive and we got the ball back, an impressive display of defense!
Mason has 8 for them and has hit his first 3. We've been failing to score the past few times down, Sessoms and Dahi both getting some good post looks but not converting, and we trail. I call a time out.

HALF
WOW. Heck of a time out I guess. We end the half on a 12-0 run in the final 4:45. Rebounding and 3 point shooting. We're shooting 40% from the field, they are shooting 35%(I'm extremely proud of my defense). But we are 5-10 from 3, while they are just 1-4. We also have a huge 18-9 edge on the boards.

Its our inside defense that has been espicialy impressive. Akins is 1-5 and Minter is 2-7, most of those shots coming in or near the paint, lots of little close in, but defended looks that often go in against us, they're all missing right now.

Mason has 10 for them. Cooper has 13 for us and has been incredible. Massey has 7.
A 3 point play opportunity (missed FT) for Bowling Green gives them their first points since the 4:45 mark of the first half. We held them scoreless for 8 minutes and 15 seconds of game time!
Bowling Green burns a timeout as we get a 3 from Turner to go up 14!
We're actually extending our lead here. This is just a defensive masterpiece. Another Bowling Green timeout.
3:45
They've cut down on the lead some but there is no way they're scoring 15 more points this game.

We run out the clock with ease.

Ohio 56
Bowling Green 36

Well that was just an extremely satisfying win. I've won many games against even rated teams simply because I have more depth, better shooters, or better athletes with which to run the fast break. With the right team I can do all those things with some frequency. This is the first time that I've won a game against a team that has more talent than me based on defense and execution of a game plan.

Of course, we shot very well. Very well when it counted. If we had gotten behind by 7 or 8 early this game probably goes a completely different direction. But it didn't, and we executed to perfection.

We shot 42% for the game, they shot 35%. They were 3/14 from 3, while we were 10/23. We also had a big 31-21 edge on the boards.
Their two most talented players scored 75% of their points. Mason scored 15, Minter scored 12. Both had plays where their talent showed big time, but neither could get in a groove and really kill us.

Turner: 6 points/4 assists (2-12 from the field, 2-10 from 3)
Cooper: 16 points (3-4 from 3)
House: 11 points/5 assists
Delic: 2 points/11 boards
Dahi: 4 points/6 boards

Massey: 17 points (4-7 from 3)

I continue to enjoy having Wendell House on my team quite a bit. If he gets his man in the air, he is getting to the basket. He may get a charge, he might not make his shot, but if the man guarding him out on the perimeter gets up in the air, there is nothing that can happen to prevent House from driving very aggressively to the hoop. I really, really love his athleticism.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #257
Radii
Head Coach

January 25, 2012

Ohio (8-12, 3-3 MAC) at Akron(6-12, 2-4 MAC)

Akron is rated 77 OVR. 78 offense/77 defense/78 shooting/90 rebounding. They had the best record in the MAC last year(actually tied with us) despite not having the best ratings, but they graduated 3 starters, so its a totally new team now.

Scouting

PG Carldell Bell – SR – 74 OVR – Good speed, good defense(83 def), and decent ball handling and passing skills. An average shooter. Nothing special, but will make his open shots and distribute the ball. 7.7 ppg.

SG Leroy Butler – SR – 80 OVR – Thankfully Butler is just average from 3(73). He's great in close and I guess he gets there a lot. Amazing speed(92), good quicks(84), average defense and only average ball handling. Brilliant in traffic(89, highest I've seen out of a guard ever I think), and clutch(82). Averaging 13 ppg.

SF Lenny Gordon – FR – 65 OVR – An average/below average talent for this league, average defense, poor 3 point shooter, below verage mid-range shot. We don't expect much out of Gordon. 4.9 ppg.

PF Demetric Emmett – FR – 66 OVR – 7'2”, average rebounder, good post offense, not as good post defense. Only 81 in close... but these guys are running two 7 footers out there. Wow. Just 4 ppg so far.

C Kirsten Davis – SR – 74 OVR – 7'3” behemoth. Average on the boards, average in the post, 87 close range... his massive size makes all those average ratings seem much higher than they are. 11.4 ppg/7.4 rpg.

Butler and Davis are their returning starters and both gave us fits last year. Bell isn't much dropoff from their PG last year either, and now they start two 7 footers.
Half
Time
OHIO
AKR
Notes
Well, we're 5-6 from 3 point range, and we trail by 7. We're playing a 2-3 zone to try to stop their big men inside, but Butler and Bell are making 3's. When they miss, they've got 4 offensive boards already.
6:45
Still down 7, we've switched to man to man, Butler is their best player, so we'll take our chances with the size and work harder to stop the 3. Believe it or not, I'm trying to slow this one down. But when they aren't really missing and giving us many defensive rebounds, there isn't a whole lot of slowing to be done.
5:15
Dahi with his 2nd foul. He's the only guy on either team with 2 so far.
3:55
Delic has his 2nd foul now.
2:30
I can't hit anything, House and Turner are ice cold, Roller is in at SG and sucks, and our backups down low can't do anything at all in the trees.

HALF
Massey misses an open as the half ends and there you go. They're shooting 57%, we are shooting 34%.
Davis has 10 points/8 boards for them, while Butler has 9. They have a massive 17-9 edge on the boards. We don't even have 10 rebounds yet.

We're shooting 9-26, 7-19 from 3. We've only made two 2 point baskets. Honestly, I think both of them were goaltending on Davis. Cooper has 9, Turner has 8.
18:10
Dahi picks up foul #3. Turner and Cooper each picked up their 2nd fouls already. Awful start to the half.

They get up 54-30 and I sim this one out. We can't do anything here.

Akron 91
Ohio 63

Butler scored 26 for them. Davis has 19 points/12 boards, and Emmett had 13.

Turner: 9 points
Cooper: 19 points
House: 5 points/5 boards
Delic: 3 points
Dahi: 10 points

Massey 11 points

Much like last year in the first meeting with Akron, these guys are just the worst matchup ever for us. Davis was hurt for the conference title game when we beat them last year. I think it would take something like that for us to have a shot at them.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #258
Radii
Head Coach

I sim my next game against Buffalo, losing on the road 68-58.

Massey scores 14, Turner 9, and we generally stink it up... under 33% from the floor.

That loss brings us to the halfway point in the MAC season.

1. Kent State (6-2)
2. Toledo (6-2)
3. Ball State (6-2)
4. Buffalo (4-4)
5. Bowling Green (4-4)
6. Central Michigan (4-4)
7. Akron (4-4)
8. Miami OH (4-4)
9. Western Michigan (4-4)
10. Ohio (3-5)
11. N. Illinois (2-6)
12. E. Michigan (1-7)

So we're 10th in the league, 1 game out of 4th... nice.

With 8 games left in the season, I'm planning on playing 4 of them and simming 4 of them and then taking my shot in the MAC tourney. Our schedule the rest of the way is somewhat favorable, we have 5 home games and only 3 on the road. Unfortunately, we have matchups against each of the 3 6-2 teams still to go, 2 of those on the road. My goal at this point is to recover enough to finish up 8-8 in MAC play.

Last edited by Radii : 03-05-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #259
Radii
Head Coach

February 1, 2012

W. Michigan (10-10, 4-4 MAC) at Ohio (8-14, 3-5 MAC)

W. Michigan is rated 75 OVR (77 O/74 D/80 Sht/76 Reb). We're better overall in every category and would appear to have a large edge on the glass.

Scouting

PG Wilson Parks – SR – 75 OVR – Parks is an outstanding 3 point shooter(85), and outstanding off the dribble(86), very fast and a solid ball handler. He has excellent awareness on both ends of the floor and looks like a serious threat. He doesn't have strong shooting tendencies though and only averages 8.6 points per game.

SG Hal Butler – JR – 59 OVR – 63 midrange/73 from 3, poor defense and only average speed. He'll make open shots perhaps, but we'll likely give them to him. He's only averaging 3.5 ppg.

SF Raitis Townsend – JR – 71 OVR – Townsend started at center for W Michigan last year. He's a natural PF, 6'9”, with average rebounding and scoring potential, but a fairly solid post game. He's extremely slow and unathletic for a SF. Seems very out of place here. He nonetheless is leading the team in scoring with 16.4 points/game. He has heavy tendencies to shoot both inside and from midrange so we'll have to watch out for him.

PF Kellen Rakiecki – JR – 74 OVR – 6'8”, good rebounder, good post skills, great inside shot(94), good leaper. Averaging 9.2 ppg/6.9 rpg.

C Julius Wofford – JR – 69 OVR – 6'10”, average on the boards(76 O/74 D), average in the post, only 81 inside/85 in traffic so he doesn't seem like too big a scoring threat, but with his size he is their 2nd leading scorer at 13 ppg.

Their forwards are their top 3 leading scorers so that is obviously our big concern today. They don't have a deep bench, but neither do we so we'll see how that plays out. The potential certainly seems to be there for Turner and Massey to have big days.

They do have a big team unity edge, 60-42.

Half
Time
OHIO
WMU
Notes
15:30
They run a 3-2 zone which we can break down pretty well if we're hitting any shots at all. Butler has hit 2 open 3's over our zone, if that keeps up it'll pull us out into man to man. We've drawn two fouls on Rakiecki, one of their forwards.
WMU took a 20-13 lead but a free throw, two fast break buckets from Turner, and a layup from Massey breaking down the 3-2 defense tie it up.
11:05
Delic picks up his 2nd foul and sits for us.
8:00
Their center, Wofford, becomes the 3rd player(2nd from WMU) to rack up 2 first half fouls.
3:30
Sessoms gets a guard on him in the post and scores easily, giving us our first lead since we were up 2-1. Turner is having a big half and we are breaking down their defense with relative ease right now.

HALF
WMU ties it up at 37, then we score the final 11 points of the first half.

Turner dominated the first 15 minutes of the game for us, scoring ~14 of our first 30 points. House took over in the final 4 though, scoring 9 of our 11 points on that final run. Turner has 16, House 13 right now. Dahi has 6 and has gotten some easy looks in deep.

Their 59 rated Sg, Butler, has 8 points, backup forward Robertson has 8 as well. We've done a very good job keeping their big men from getting too many touches, their 3 starting forwards have 9 total points right now.
17:00
Two 3's from Butler help W. Michigan start the 2nd half on a 10-2 run. I call a time out.
We get the 3rd foul on Rakiecki, forcing him to sit.
12:45
Foul #3 on Wofford, their center, slowly foul trouble is building.
10:30
We get some subs into the game here. We are pretty much dominating play, but every 3 or 4 possessions down it seems like they drain a 3 to keep themselves in it.
We've been holding on to a 3-7 point lead. We're now in the bonus, shooting on every foul.
5:30
Two free throws, an inside look from Delic, and a 3 point play in transition after a steal by Massey and we go on a quick 7-0 run to go up by 10! WMU calls a timeout.
They get 4 in a row on fast breaks, one after a turnover on the wing, and another on a missed shot. We call a timeout.
2:20
We hit a jumper, they hit a 3. Turner draws a foul driving to the basket, but misses both free throws. They've got the ball with a chance to make it a 1 possession game.
1:25
They get a layup after our missed free throw, on the other end Delic misses a shot, gets his on board, kicks it out ot Turner who misses a wide open three. Butler on the other end makes yet another 3 and ties the game back up. Our ball with 1:25 left.
1:08
They go back to the 3-2 for the first time in awhile. Turner breaks it down and gets to the hoop, drawing a foul, and making the free throws this time.
0:59
Parks drives by Turner, draws a foul on Dahi, and makes both free throws. Our ball, tie game.
0:25
House gets by his man and gets to the hoop but misses a shot in traffic. They come down and make a mid-range jumper to go up by 2.
0:10
Turner gets through the defense again but has his layup blocked. We have to foul, and it takes a few seconds because we have to commit 2 fouls before they're in the penalty. Parks makes 1, misses the 2nd and we have one last shot at a 3 pointer to tie.

Turner gets a decent look from 3, but its off the front rim. Dahi gets the board and I call a timeout immediately. There's only 0.2 left on the clock though and we're unable to get a shot up.

Western Michigan 86
Ohio 83

This feels like a loss that we picked up because we're such a young team, unable to make plays down the stretch. We allowed them to shoot 52% from the floor, and 43% from 3(12/28). I pulled out of my zone a couple times but went back in after a couple minutes of interior baskets, trusting that Butler would eventually go cold. He never did, hitting 6-10 from 3 and scoring 24 points.

Turner: 27 points
Cooper: 4 points
House: 16 points/5 boards
Delic: 8 points/7 boards
Dahi: 6 points/5 boards

Massey: 12 points

In the end, we had 3 possessions in a row where we were able to drive to the basket against their 3-2 zone, something we'd been doing all game with success, and they just came up big, forcing a miss by House and blocking Turner.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #260
Radii
Head Coach

I sim our next two games:

February 4, 2011

Ohio 84
N Illinois 82

We come back from a 9 point halftime deficit in a game that we should win by more than this at home. Turner had a huge day with 30 points, House with 11, and Delic 10.

February 7, 2012

Kent State 63
Ohio 61

Maybe I should play that one out but road games against teams better than us have just not been fun this year, so I pass. Delic leads us with 14, Sessoms with 13 off the bench, Cooper and Dahi with 10.

I'll play our next two, at a poor Eastern Michigan team, and vs a tough Ball State team at home.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #261
Radii
Head Coach

With just 5 games(3 of which I plan on playing out) left in the regular season, I'm going to try to put down The Show long enough to knock out the rest of this season tonight.

February 11, 2012

Ohio (9-16, 4-7 MAC) at Eastern Michigan (6-19, 1-10 MAC)

Rated 72 overall, we expect this to be an easy win.

Scouting

PG WB McCoy – SO - 69 OVR – Looks like their best 3 point shooter(74), and their best defender by far(85, pretty good actually). Good speed but not a good ball handler for a PG. 9.2 ppg

SG Cruz Garner – JR – 71 OVR – decent speed, decent shooting(79 close/75 med/71 3), average defense at best(76). If this is their most talented player we're in great shape. 10.9 ppg, leading them so far.

SF Freddie Stehly – SO – 71 OVR – average/below average defense(73), not very fast, 82 in close, 74/70 from med and 3 point ranges. Looks like a pretty good leaper and dunker. 10 points per game and 6.2 rebounds. 6'5”

PF Dexter Valdez – FR – 55 OVR – 6'9”, terrible rebounder, terrible in the post(all ratings below 70), 85 in close but nothing else to go with it at 5.2 ppg.

C Keith Buchanan – SO – 65 OVR – 6'9”, actually a PF. Terrible rebounder(66 drg!), not good in the post on either side, 86 in close. 7 ppg.

Scouting is copied from our first matchup, no one has gained any ratings overall.

Half
Time
OHIO
EMU
Notes
They have 7 team fouls already, lots of stupid reaching in and such. We're trying to run and push the pace a little but they haven't really let us. They've hit a few jumpers to keep it close.
9:20
Turner, Massey and Cooper are scoring almost all of our points right now. EMU takes a time out.
4:30
It feels like we should be up 20, but we're not. They're just making an unacceptable amount of shots over us given how poor they play as a team.

HALF
House makes a steal on our last defensive possession, feeds turner who hits a 3 as time expires to put us ahead by 13.

Their PG McCoy has 9, their two guards have 6 each.

On our end Turner has 16, Cooper, House, Delic and Massey all have 6 each. We're 4-5 from 3 in the half, Turner is 2-3.
15:25
We seem to have worn them down a bit. We only drw 11 fouls in the first half(after drawing 7 in the first 7 minutes), but have now picked up foul #3 on two of their starters. We were in line for a 20+ point lead until they hit a 3 on their las possession.
11:50
After going up 61-41 EMU is on a 9-2 run, Turner has 2 turnovers and Delic had a blocked shot down low that led to a fast break. I call a timeout just to settle back in.
After an EMU 3 pointer makes it 63-53, our defense locks down and we pull back ahead by a nice margin.
With a lineup of Turner, House and 3 power forwards we slip up a bit, allowing a 6-0 run by EMU to make it a bit of a game again. I call a time out to rest up a bit and get a better lineup on the court.

House and Turner take back over for me, pushing the lead out to 84-66 with 3 minutes left. From that point I just kill the clock. EMU is unable to score anymore and neither team puts up any points in the final 3:00

Ohio 84
E. Michigan 66

Nothing unexpected here.

Turner: 26 points/5 assists
Cooper: 14 points
House: 15 points/7 boards
Delic: 12 points/11 boards
Dahi: 4 points/6 boards

Dahi is becoming a problem. I've used 3 pep talks on him this year, he is just not giving me anything good lately. There is a fair chance that his backup, Sessoms, will get a shot at starting for me some next season.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #262
Radii
Head Coach

February 14, 2012

Ball State (14-9, 9-3 MAC) at Ohio (10-16, 5-7 MAC)

Ball State beat us 86-76 at their place in the first conference game of the season.

Scouting

PG Rod Rowe – FR – 67 OVR – Average defender, good ball handler, decent but not great speed. Good in close and from mid-range but not a big 3 point threat. Just 5 points a game, he'll score more against us but he isn't a big threat at all.

SG Jamon Diarra – SR – 72 OVR – Not great with the ball or defending, average shooter, but like Pettyjohn, he hits them when he's open.

SF Vern Pettyjohn – JR – 79 OVR – 6'6” talented forward, averaging 10 and 6 so far this year. Very good rebounder for a small forward, good defender, pretty good in the post. Great in traffic, and damn good off the dribble. Shot ratings aren't great but he hits them when he's open.

PF Kelenna Monroe – SR – 73 OVR – 6'8”, 11.5 ppg this year so far. Decent everywhere but not spectacular. 77 post defense.

C Russell Kapono – FR – 72 OVR – 7'0”, average on the boards, outstanding post offense(86), just average on D(74). 88 from close range, 81 in traffic, and a good dunker. Tons of strength(87). 7 ppg/4 rpg so far.

Scouting is copied from our first matchup, Monroe and Kapono have both gained 1 point in overall ratings since the first time we met. We had big games from Turner and Massey both in our first meeting, but simply ran out of gas at the end. I believe this one is winnable at home.

Half
Time
OHIO
BSU
Notes
We started out on an 8-0 run and the defense is playing well. We just got stuck in the backcourt and had to call a timeout to avoid a 10 second violation though.
10:45
Our lead didn't last long. They're playing a zone and we haven't broken it down very well, we're just shooting over it right now and have gone a little cold. We're also struggling a little against their press.
We went up 23-19, they scored 8 straight to go up 27-23, and we're keeping things even. Our big men have gotten to the line the last 2 possessions in a row and gone 1-4, which is not helping our cause at all.

HALF
Similar to last game, we go into the half with a 1 point margin. We cut it to 39-36 with about 2:30 left and both teams went ice cold. Turner got a bucket in the final seconds to make it a 1 point lead at the half.

Their scoring is very balanced. All 5 starters have 2 or 4 points, they have 8 from their backup SG who has hit a few jumpers on us and 6 from their backup PG who has 2 3 pointers. We are playing man to man against these guys and I think that's the right way to go, we've held them under 50% from the floor and 4-13 from 3.

We have 10 points from Delic, his best half for me in a long time, and Turner and Cooper have 8 and 9 points. Turner is 2-6 from 3, I stopped shooting 3's with him and started trying more to drive to the hoop instead late in the half.
We only have 2 points in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. After two turnovers and then a missed layin by Dahi, I call a timeout. I feel lucky to only be down 5 here, we've come up with a couple steals and blocks of our own, its been real sloppy.
We score 5 pretty fast after the time out, they are up 49-45, Massey makes 1 of 2 free throws, then Sessoms strips their big man when he catches a pass down low, outlets to a streaking Turner for a strong jam. The crowd is going nuts for us for the first time today and we get a much needed boost.
Cooper makes a 3 in the corner, the crowd gets going again, and Ball State immediately burns a time out.
10:00
They get a 3 point play but its in the mix of a big run by Turner. A breakout dunk, a 3 point play, and a 3 pointer all by Turner account for our last 8 points. Ball State is burning timeouts at record pace here.
8:30
Another Ball State timeout. This is just keeping my guys fresh and giving me a chance to be strong at the end of the game.
The 5 minute stretch from 13:30 to 8:30 really set us up to win, but we're back on level ground now and need to play well down the stretch. We call a timeout after a jam inside by kapono makes it a 4 point game. Turner and Cooper are sitting right now to get ready for the final minutes.
3:15
Massey makes a 3 but we come up empty on 2 other possessions. They hit a 3 and two 2 pointers to tie the game up. Our full starting 5 is back in.
1:50
Turner hits a 3 right away after coming back in, we force a tough 3 and get a stop. We fail to score on our end and Cooper fouls their man on a fast break chance. They make 1 of 2 from the line. Back on our end again House gets his man in the air and goes hard to the basket, making a difficult runner in traffic. Their ball, 4 point game, under 2 to go.
1:30
Pettyjohn gets a look from ~3 feet, its off the front rim but he gets the board, and Cooper fouls him going back up. He only makes 1 FT. Cooper has 3 fouls now which shouldn't matter, we have 7 as a team so they're shooting if we foul anymore.
1:00
Turner drives and kicks it out to House in the corner, he pump fakes and gets his man in the air, driving by him for an easy layin.

We got a steal on their next play, turning it into a Turner 3 point play in transition, pretty much sealing the game with 45 seconds left. We sink a few free throws down the stretch.

Ohio 85
Ball State 75

An outstanding win over a good team. We get solid offensive performance from... everyone but Dahi. Delic made some good plays in the first half, and House scored 8 of his 10 points in the 2nd half. Turner was a monster all game, going 5-9 from 3. They had 4 double figure performances but we didn't let Diarra or Pettyjohn, their talented SG/SF combo burn us for tons of points as we've been known to do against many teams. They had 12 and 14 points respectively.

Turner: 30 points
House: 10 points/8 boards/3 blocks (two of them very athletic, key blocks at the start of our run around the 13 minute mark)
Delic: 13 points/8 boards
Dahi: 4 points/9 boards

Massey: 9 poitns

Last edited by Radii : 03-07-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #263
Radii
Head Coach

Our next game is a simmed game vs a poor Central Michigan team.

at Ohio 69, Central Michigan 61

Dahi is huge in the simmed game with 20 points/9 boards, I dunno what I'm doing wrong with him when I play(other than focusing so much on the guards of course, but 1-5 for 2 points isn't unusual for him with me). Delic and Cooper both score 7. Turner has a terrible game, shooting 1-8 for 2 points and committing 4 fouls.

In season recruiting is over. Recruiting could be a gold mine for us, or a complete and utter disaster, or anything in between. Its wide open right now, but I'll wait to get into that until the signing period kicks in.

Our overall roster strength has risen to 80 now, from 78 at the start of the year. 8 guys on the roster have gained a point in their overall rating. Cooper and his B- potential(second best on the team behind Delic) has not gained very much at all throughout the year which is disappointing. Delic has made gains across the board, I wouldn't be suprised to see him hit 80 OVR before he's done. Maybe he'll grow another inch too.

We're up to 7-7 in conference play and have done very well for ourselves in the 2nd half. With two games left we play at toledo(11-3) and host Miami Ohio (5-9). I'll play the Toledo game and sim the Miami game and head into the tournament. There is a chance we could finish 5th in the conference this year. We could also still technically finish 11th if we lost both and everything went bad.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #264
Radii
Head Coach

February 28, 2012

Ohio (12-16, 7-7 MAC) at Toledo (18-9, 11-3 MAC)

We beat Toledo by 11 at our place. We led by over 20 early in the 2nd half. They have two shooters that like to jack up 3's that aren't good at it, and they ran a 3-2 zone and left gaping holes all over for us to go to the basket.

Scouting

PG Mychal Beckwith – JR – 72 OVR – 83 from 3, a legit 3 point threat. Only average speed, average/above average defense, and a good passer. Solid off the dribble. 10.6 ppg.

SG Doron Jacobson – JR – 71 OVR – Good defender(84), pretty good steals guy(77), pretty good passer for a SG too(73). Can score in close and from mid-range, not a 3 point shooter. 9.8 ppg.

SF Darshan Works – SR – 76 OVR – 6'8”, played PF for them last year, but SF is his natural position. 82 rated defense, 82 in close, 70 med/70 3. He's a good leaper with decent speed for a SF (82). 9.7 ppg.

PF Sammy Urbina – SR – 74 OVR – 6'6”, played SF last year for them, and that is his natural position. They switched Works and Urbina for some reason. Urbina is a better rebounder, so that'd be a good reason. He isn't a scorer though, 74 post offense/79 close. 7.8 ppg/5.8 rpg.

C BJ Janiszewski – JR – 58 OVR – 6'10, that's about all you can say about him. Actually he's rated 76 in post defense which is as good as many of our guys. But he is awful on the boards and is not a scorer at all. 2.7 ppg.

Scouting is the same as from the first matchup, with ratings updated. We match up as well with these guys as we do anyone with their style of play, hopefully we can beat them on the road and get to 8-7.
Half
Time
OHIO
TOL
Notes
15:45
Certainly not the start we had at our place. They're on a 10-1 run. They've hit 3 or 4 3's and are scoring very efficiently on offense. We are looking a bit inept. We burn a timeout.
14:20
Dahi has to sit with 2 fouls. Its worth pointing out, House has 7 of our first 11 points.
We're heading towards a ridiculously high scoring game at this rate. Their defense still has tons of holes to exploit, but in this game they're making a lot of shots, so its just a score fest. Speaking of score-fest, House has 15, and appears to be well on his way to a career high.
4:10
Our defense has locked down quite a bit but our offense is struggling a lot too. We've had a number of chances to get the lead down to 2 or 1 and cannot seem to do so.
There we go, a 15 footer from Massey and a 3 pointer from Turner tie things back up for us for the first time since it was 8-8.

HALF
We go up by 1 and are quite pleased with our first half play. They have 8 three pointers but are 8-23 and are jacking them up like crazy.

On our end House had an incredible half, scoring 17 and getting to the line 9 times(5-9, he's not a great FT shooter). Turner has 8 points/6 assists and Delic has 6 inside.
It is way too easy to get 10 foot jumpers against a 3-2 defense, and I'm not missing many of them. We're back to where both teams seem to be scoring at will though, so I'm not really pulling away. Turner has become my big scorer, House is a bit cold now.
We've led the entire half so far but they're keeping themselves in it. Our biggest lead has been 5 points.
11:30
HUGE stretch. They tie the game up at 64 on a 3 pointer(we got a FT from House while they got a 2 and a 3), their crowd goes nuts and they go into a full court press. I get Massey and open 3 which he drains. Turner tips a pass and finds Massey on the break for 2 more. Sessoms blocks a shot at the FT line, we set up and get Turner an open 3, and with the crowd rocking for the other team, we score 8 points in about 45 seconds. Critical momentum shift right there.
9:40
Threes from Turner and Cooper keep us going strong and Toledo calls another time out.
6:45
We've gone a little cold and they're on an 8-3 run, lead is down to 5. I call a timeout to hopefully get a better lineup out there.
3:25
It was 83-80 for 4 straight possessions and they couldn't cut it any closer. Finally a Turner 3 puts us back up 6. They call a timeout.
House misses a couple shots and they finally get out of their slump by scoring on a fast break. I call a timeout, overriding the CPU subs to get Massey into the game. The CPU is forcing the starting lineup onto the floor and Turner is just gassed. There's no reason to have him out there over Massey right now.
0:53
We burn the clock but cannot score. They miss an open 17 foot jumper by Beckwith, a shot he would not often miss I would imagine. We burn the clock again and this time Cooper hits a 3! This one puts us up 7 with less than a minute left.

We hit two Fts in the last minute and that's all it takes for them to call off the dogs.

Ohio 91
Toledo 82

Toledo is simply a team that we match up well against. We have 3 guys that shoot well from midrange, two on the court most of the time that I'll take an open 3 with, and a ton of slashers that can get to the basket... we just eat up a 3-2 defense, which Toledo spends much of their time in.

Turner: 21 points/11 assists
Cooper: 21 points
House: 22 points/9 boards
Delic: 7 points/9 boards
Dahi: 0 points/7 boards

Massey: 14 points

Dahi was in foul trouble all game and only played 14 minutes. I love the scoring balance between my backcourt players. They all shined in different ways. House attacking the basket, Cooper hit 5 3's, while Turner led the break and hit a lot of jumpers from the FT line that were open against this 3-2 zone.

Last edited by Radii : 03-07-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #265
Radii
Head Coach

March 4, 2012

Miami OH 74, Ohio 69

We lose our last game at home against an inferior team, I'm a bit suprised to see that, but its a reminder that we're just an average team.

We finish 8-8, which is excellent after a 3-5 start to conference play.

2012 MAC Final Standings

1. Western Michigan 12-4
2. Ball State 12-4
3. Toledo 11-5
4. Kent State 10-6
5. Ohio 8-8
6. Buffalo 8-8
7. Bowling Green 7-9
8. Akron 7-9
9. N. Illinois 7-9
10. Miami OH 7-9
11. Central Michigan 6-10
12. Eastern Michigan 1-15

Well, if we can't finish in the top 4 and get a bye in the first round of the conference tourney, we can at least finish 5th and get 1-15 Eastern Michigan in round 1.

The MAC is down quite a bit this year. None of our teams are in the top 100 in the RPI. Kent State is #24 in the mid-major poll, the only MAC team to be found there at 17-11 overall. Western michigan, our top seed in the conference tourney, is rated a 14 seed in bracketology.

The MAC as a whole has the #19 conference RPI, which is the worst rated mid-major conference and is actually behind 3 small conferences.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #266
Radii
Head Coach

March 7, 2012

Ohio (13-17, 8-8 MAC) vs Eastern Michigan (6-24, 1-15 MAC)

We've beaten E. Michigan twice this year with ease. I see no reason to expect this to be any different.

Scouting

Half
Time
OHIO
EMU
Notes
Well certainly not the start we wanted. Dahi has 2 fouls, Delic and Cooper 1, while we've only drawn 1 foul on EMU so far.
14:30
Cooper with 2 fouls now and we've got some noteworthy foul trouble. I'm very displeased with our defense.
We are just totally out of sync on both ends of the floor. I call a timeout in disgust. They have 4 offensive boards already, this is a team we ought to dominate on the boards.
11:00
Sessoms becomes our 3rd player with 2 fouls, they are in the penalty.
We now have a lineup of Roller, house, and 3 PF/C's on the court.
I simply stall and burn clock until Massey and Turner are rested, but Turner isn't really anywhere close to fully rested, I'm just trying to get out of this half in striking distance really. We have drawn 8 fouls on them total, two each on their two big men, but we seem to be hurting a lot more than them.
All our 2 foul guys come back out for the end of the first half. We can't go into the locker room down 17, I feel the need to make something happen here.

HALF
A random Mikalauskas 3 pointer at the buzzer makes it a 20 point game, it was 23 and could have been worse. We are simply laying an egg against the worst team in the league.

We are shooting under 33% from the floor, allowing them to shoot 50% and they have a 24-12 edge on the boards. They also took 19 Fts in the first half, making 13. House has 8, Cooper 5, Turner 3, Delic 2, Dahi 0.. That's not how we're going to win.

Lastly, they have an 8-1 edge on the offensive glass and a 14-6 edge on points in the paint. Just terrible.
19:30
On the opening possession of the second half, we play solid defense, and with 3 seconds left on the shot clock, Turner gets a reach in foul, they get a new 35. Not the start to the half we needed.
They are making everything, this is insane. Just not our day.
Sessoms making 1-2 free throws, us getting the rebound on the miss and finding Cooper for a 3 gives us a 4 point possession, and gets the lead down under 20.
We run off 7 points in about 15 seconds and for the first time I feel like maybe we can win this game. Massey makes a 3, they turn it over shortly after crossing midcourt on a bad pass. Massey makes a layup and gets fouled. He misses his free throw, Sessoms with the board and putback to take us from 66-46 to 66-53 in very short order.
7:30
A 3 point play by House and the lead is 10. We definitely have the momentum now.
4:20
Cooper has scored our last 7 straight, the last 3 on a 3 point play in transition, and we're as close as we've been in forever.
3:10
Holy crap!!!! They get a VERY frustrating 3 points, drawing a foul, making 1, getting an offensive board, drawing a foul, missing both, getting an offensive board and getting a putback. Very demoralizing. On our next possession we get Turner a wide open 3 which he hits to make it 75-68. Sessoms with a huge block on the other end, we catch them off guard and Delic gets fouled going in for what would have been a dunk if he were taller :P

Anyway, Delic makes one, misses one. House with the board, but his putback is blocked. Delic snags it, throws it out of the lane, Turner is open and drains a 3!!!! 3 point game!!!!
House has 9 boards now, he just got another offensive board on a free throw miss, though we didn't score after it, and a board on the defensive end. We found him on the offensive end for a bucket that cuts the lead to 2. Timeout Eastern Michigan.
1:08
They get an offensive board on their end and a putback. We get a nice little shot inside from Delic off a screen. Still down 2 with 1 minute left.
0:30
They get a good shot from McCoy and Cooper misses a 3 on our end. We've got to foul and hope now.

They make their free throws and I can't get a good look at a 3 in the final 30 seconds. Cooper and Turner each miss contested 3's and our comeback falls just short.

Eastern Michigan 83
Ohio 77

Well, we played like complete shit against the worst team in the league for about 30 minutes, made a crazy run to get back into the game but fell just short. I really have no explanation. We got into bad foul trouble early with a team that doesn't have enough depth, and we just could not get our shots to fall, could not rebound, and could not stop them from scoring until the final 10 minutes.

Turner: 12 points/5 assists
Cooper: 15 points
House: 15 points/10 boards
Delic: 11 points/8 boards
Dahi: 0 points/2 boards ← 18 minutes, Dahi isn't starting to open next season, this is BS.

Sessoms: 7 points/5 boards ← 16 mintues, he's starting next year most likely.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #267
Radii
Head Coach

MAC Tournament Review

First Round

8. Miami OH 78
9. Akron 59

12. E. Michigan 83
5. Ohio 77

6. Buffalo 85
11. C. Michigan 65

10. N. Illinois 70
7. Bowling Green 72

Quarterfinals

8. Miami OH 90
1. Western Michigan 58 WTF!!

4. Kent State 66
12. E. Michigan 61

6. Buffalo 68
3. Toledo

10. N. Illinois 75
2. Ball State 55 WTF part 2!!!

Semifinals

4. Kent State 57
8. Miami OH 48

6. Buffalo 84
10. N Illinois 77

Finals

6. Buffalo 85
4. Kent State 68

So Buffalo goes to the NCAA Tournament with a 15-17 record.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:06 AM   #268
Radii
Head Coach

NCAA Tournament

1 seeds: Texas Tech, Duke, Arizona, Northwestern

Buffalo is a 16 seed and draws Arizona.

There's only one 12-5 upset in the first round(UL-Lafayette over Washington State), no other 11 or worse seeds win a game.

Arizona goes out in the 2nd round to 9 seed Mississippi State.

East: 2 seed Michigan State crushes 1 seed Texas Tech by 19(83-64)
West: 3 seed Missouri beats 1 seed Northwestern by 24(80-56)
South: 5 seed UCLA beats 2 seed Arkansas 91-85 (UCLA beat 1 seed Duke in the sweet 16)
Midwest: 4 seed Tennessee destroys 3 seed North Carolina 100-76

Final Four

Michigan State over Mizzou 92-64
Tennessee over UCLA 82-81

Tennessee with another 1 point win, 79-78, over Michigan State in the finals, Tennessee wins the national title.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #269
Radii
Head Coach

Awards

C Mikel Bachmann from South Carolina wins the national player of the year award with 24.8 ppg and 8.3 rebounds a game.

C Brendon McCroskey from UC Irvine is mid-major player of the year, 26.7 ppg/7.3 rpg. He's rated 84 overall.

National Coach of the year goes to Texas Tech's Jim Christian.

First Team All Americans:

PG Tracey Walters - SR - Duke - 92 OVR - 23.2 ppg/3.5 apg
SG Johnathen Marshall - SR - Vanderbilt - 90 OVR - 23.0 ppg/6.5 rpg
SF Torry Michaud - SR - Alabama - 88 OVR - 17.2 ppg/6.0 rpg
PF Jitim Zuzak - SR - Missouri - 85 OVR - 20.3 ppg/6.4 rpg
C Mikel Bachmann - SR - South Carolina - 89 OVR - 24.8 ppg/8.3 rpg

MAC Awards

Billy Taylor with Ball State is the MAC Coach of the year

C Hashim Friend from Miami OH is conference player of the year. 22.4 ppg/6.9 rpg.

SF Wendell House of Ohio is conference freshman of the year 9.2 ppg/5.4 rpg

1st Team All-MAC

PG Wayne Turner - SR - Ohio - 75 OVR - 16.6 ppg/4.0 apg
SG Wallace Mason - SR - Bowling Green - 85 OVR - 16.9 ppg/7.5 rpg/4.6 apg
SF Andy Dupree - SR - Kent State - 74 OVR - 12.7 ppg/4.8 rpg
PF Raitis Townsend - JR - W. Michigan - 72 OVR - 14.3 ppg/4.4 rpg
C Hashim Friend - SR - Miami OH - 71 OVR - 22.4 ppg/6.9 rpg

I'm happy to see Turner make the first team again.

Second Team All-MAC

PG Wilson Parks - SR - W. Michigan - 75 OVR - 8.0 ppg/7.2 apg
SG Leroy Butler - SR - Akron - 80 OVR - 13.5 ppg/5.3 rpg
SF Kirby McLeod - SR - Toledo - 74 OVR - 12.2 ppg/4.8 rpg
PF Kyle Caskill - JR - C. Michigan - 73 OVR - 14.7 ppg/5.8 rpg
C Colin Wierzba - JR - Kent State - 83 OVR - 17.5 ppg/7.1 rpg

Wierzba is going to be all over that "best player" board for the conference next season.

Freshman All-MAC

PG Rod Rowe - Ball State - 67 OVR - 6.4 ppg/3.7 apg
SG Arzelle Cooper - Ohio - 74 OVR - 9.9 ppg/2.3 apg
SF Wendell House - Ohio - 73 OVR - 9.2 ppg/5.4 rpg
PF Waitari Braun - W Michigan - 68 OVR - 4.3 ppg/4.7 rpg
C Russell Kapono - Ball State - 73 OVR - 7.1 ppg/4.7 rpg

Two players from Ball State and from Ohio on this team, hopefully that bodes well for the future.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #270
Radii
Head Coach

My contract is renewed for 4 more years with Ohio. I'm happy to see the AD likes what I've done so far, even though this year wasn't really what I had hoped for.

Graduating Seniors

So there's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that I'm only losing two players this year. The bad news is that one of them is Wayne Turner, two time first team all MAC and my most reliable scorer.

Whoa, I had never noticed before... Turner was a transfer. He played 2 years at Southern Mississippi before coming to Ohio. He averaged 18.7 points his junior season, 16.6 points his senior season. He was first team all-MAC both years, and conference player of the year as a Junior.

Our other graduating senior is SG Taymon Roller. Roller was rated 57 OVR and was on the court because of a lack of depth, pure and simple. In two years with me coaching the team he averaged 1.0 and 1.3 points per game, 1.3 and 1.4 rebounds per game.

Both players are going undrafted.

Coaching Skill Increases

I have 3 coaching skill points, and honestly right now I don't remember what i earned them all for. 5000 legacy points in a season... I am not sure what else. I decide to continue the focus on defense and player development, putting two points into teaching, 1 into defense:

Offense: C-
Defense: B+
Teaching: A-
Scouting: C-
Charisma: A+
Disclipline: C
Old 03-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #271
Radii
Head Coach

Coaching Carousel

Only one power conference job is open, Iowa State. Houston in C-USA is open too. I'm not on the list for either.

However, after that come some mid-majors. Without even starting the carousel, I'm in the top 5 for every mid-major program. That's promising news, though I'm not currently interested in hopping over to another mid-major school.

Iowa State hires Bob McKillop out of Davidson

Houston hires Bobby Marlin out of... Sam Houston State (SHSU, google seems to agree)

UNC-Wilmington in the CAA, one of the top rated mid-major conferences each of the last two years at least, has me listed 4th. they snag oral roberts head coach.

Loyola Marymount in the WCC has me listed 2nd. They grab Stetson's head coach.

Troy, ironically enough, hires NC A&T's new head coach and also has me 2nd.

With 3 mid-majors left I start seeing offers. Denver in the Sun Belt, Illinois-Chicago, and Valpairso in the Horizon league. I turn them all down.

Tom Penders retired from Houston. That's the only name I recognize immediately looking through the list.

Assistant Coaches

I keep my two coaches. I've got an offensive guy, and a scout who can also coach up some defense.

The one thing I don't have between me or my assistants is a disciplinarian. I'm not really sure how much it matters, but I don't' do anything about it right now. I want someone who can cover my weaknesses on offense and scouting above all else, which I've got.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #272
Radii
Head Coach

I've got all of my scholarships offered out so there's nothing in the way of transfers that I can look at.

In MAC news, Kent State loses a 6'10" sophomore center rated 73 OVR to UNC-Wilmington.

Also, I don't know what happened at UCLA but they lost two players rated above 80. An 83 rated PG left UCLA for Binghamton.

Offseason Recruiting

So if you'll remember, we had 5 scholarships open. I only got one guy to sign in the early period, SG Chuck Lamkin, a guy with B skills all over the place, 3* ranked #363 overall.

I've got 4 scholarships left and 5 guys I've been working on. but right now, i have zero guarentees:

PG Jeremie Roberson - #142 overall/#47 PG, I've got him at 100% but American University has offered him as well and they've got him at 100%. I expect to lose him.

SG Shawn Garcia - #305 overall - Mr Basketball in Kansas. I've got him to 97% and am his only scholarship offer. Tennessee and Kansas have both got interest way up there too, so i'm concerned that I won't land him on day 1, and either Tennessee or Kansas might come take him.

PG Shavlik Willie - #147 overall - Almost certainly a lost cause. He's from the northeast and Rhode Island offered him late in the recruiting stages during the year. The one thing I have going for me is that Rhode Island has signed two high school All-Americans. Maybe Willie will shy away from them as a result. And yes, I just said that *rhode island* has signed two HS All-Americans. Heh, I'll be looking out for them in the tournament in a few years.

PF Curtis Watson - 287 OVR - He has no offers, we've got him up to 85% without an offer, and we expect to lose someone on day 1 and will go after Watson.

SF Kaylen Lufkin - 216 OVR - We only have him at 81%, but we have his only offer and no one else is higher than us. He's from Columbus and appears to favor Ohio schools, so I'm hoping we can secure him shortly.

So like I said, we could score big in recruiting with a full class of solid players, or we could strike out and leave me wishing I'd gone to Valpo or somewhere else, or something in between...

Day 1

As feared, Roberson heads to American, Willie to Rhode Island. At least they announced right away so I am not left hanging. I offer a scholarship to Watson, the PF I'd been working with.

Week 1

I land a second SG as Mr Basketball in Kansas, Shawn Garcia, signs with Ohio!! He's #305 overall. I'll go into more detail when I wrap up recruiting when we're done. We don't lose anyone.

Week 2

SCORE.

6'9" PF Curtis Watson, #287 OVR out of Toronto, signs with Ohio. He looks like a rebounder and defender, probably not much to look at on offense.

Additionally, SF Kaylen Lufkin out of Columbus, OH signs with us. Ranked #216 Overall, Lufkin averaged 9.8 ppg/8.5 rpg in the ABL, though he was an awful shooter at 33%. He scouts as a B+ shooter... we'll see.

That's 4 guys coming in. Ideally i'd like to bring in a PG, as I lost both the PG's I was recruiting, and only Massey is a natural point guard on my roster right now. I have no problem at all letting Cooper run the show, but I'd still prefer a natural PG on the roster.

There is one guy that fits the bill, a 3* JC Soph named D. Flowers(his first name is "D." so yea...). I scout him before offering a scholarship. B+ Shooting, A- skills, B Athleticism, if any of that is accurate at all then I've got a good backup PG on the way. Either way I'll only have him for 2 years and will need to recruit another next year. I offer him a scholarship and hope I can land him in the final two weeks.

Week 4

The PG, D Flowers (I'm going to have to call him Dee, that's just silly) has signed with us.

I work on my juniors the final week.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #273
Radii
Head Coach

Recruiting class Review

I'm bringing in 5 3* players in this class.

JC SO 3* PG - Dee Flowers

Unranked due to being a JC player. He went untouched until the final 3 weeks of recruiting so he is likely a flawed guy in some way. But if he can handle the ball he will be good for me next year, I'm itching to get back to a 10 man rotation.

Shooting B+
Skills A-
Defense B
Athleticism B
Rebounding ?
Intelligence B-
Potential ?
Size C-

Yeah, about that size. Dude is 5'9" tall.

3* SG Shawn Garcia - #305 Overall

8.7 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.4 assists in the ABL. He shot 37.6% (29-77) from the floor but was 39% from 3(15-38).

Shooting B+
Skills B
Defense B+
Athleticism B+
Rebounding B-
Intelligence C+
Potential C+
Size B

3* SG Chuck Lamkin - #363 Overall

12.3 points/6.1 rebounds/2.0 assists/1.3 steals in the ABL. 41% from the field(33-80) and 37% from 3 (17-46).

Shooting B
Skills B
Defense B-
Athleticism B+
Rebounding C+
Intelligence B-
Potential B
Size B-

3* SF Kaylen Lufkin - #216 Overall

The highest ranked recruit in our class. 9.8 points/8.5 rebounds in the ABL. Only shot 33% from the field though(25-74).

Shooting B+
Skills B-
Defense B
Athleticism B+
Rebounding B
Intelligence B
Potential B-
Size B+

He's 6'7"

3* PF Curtis Watson - #287 Overall

I guess Canadians don't get to play in the ABL. No stats.

Shooting B-
Skills C
Defense B+
Athleticism B
Rebounding A
Intelligence B-
Potential B-
Size A-

I would be thrilled to land a defense/rebounding big man here if that is really how he comes in.

On to the flip to see how these guys really look!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 AM   #274
Radii
Head Coach

Recruiting Class Rankings

1. Duke
2. Boston college
3. Florida
4. Oklahoma State
5. Rhode Island
6. Kentucky
7. Washington State
8. Kansas
9. Texas Tech
10. Ohio State

Our class, with 1 Mr Basketball(Kansas) and 5 3* signings, ranks #44 in the nation!!! Theres something to be said for volume of course.

Kent State has the #2 class in the MAC at around #75 or so. with 3 3* guys. Miami Ohio and Eastern Michigan are in the low 100's.

Schedule

We get invited to two tournaments... the "2k Sports challenge Hoops Classic D" in early November, and the "Daylight Bowl Tournament" around Christmas. I figure I'll play them both. Houston and Southern Illinois I keep on our schedule. Georgetown and Pitt I substitute for easier opponents. Since I don't know what's coming in the tourneys I make the rest of my games all winnable.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #275
Radii
Head Coach

Incoming Freshmen

Well, the CPU suggests starting the PF I went after, Watson. Also, don't forget that I have my transfer in from Utah that is ready to go for me now. A very quick overview of the new players I have at my disposal:

PF Eni Danelius - 73 OVR - JR - This is my transfer guy. Post play and rebounding doesn't excite me, but a great close range shot for this level.

PF Curtis Watson - 73 OVR - FR - Watson is what I was hoping when I scouted him. He immediately comes in as the best rebounder on the team. He also plays above average post defense for this level. He might be an ok scorer too. He's 6'9" which I don't know if that is big enough to start at center, so he may come off the bench regardless.

SF Kaylen Lufkin - 73 OVR - Lufkin comes in rated well too. Hustle is his higest rating at 90, hard to complain about that. He has average shooting abilities and can likely be trained up into a decent midrange shooter and backup for House.

SG Chuck Lamkin - 66 OVR - Big dropoff for my guards, but they'll give me the depth I need. Lamkin can develop into a decent 3 point threat but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than that just based on the numbers.

SG Shawn Garcia - 65 OVR - Pretty similar to Lamkin really, he can develop a decent outside shot and he is a little better defender than Lamkin, but he isn't much to look at.

PG Dee Flowers - 64 OVR - I can't be too suprised about this. Average defense, average shot, average ball handler. He'll be fine as a 2 year backup(he's a JC transfer and a Junior).

I really cannot complain about that class at all. I was hoping for a better guard somewhere but we're going to be in good shape this year I believe. We've got the depth again to go with a 10 man rotation and have 4 returning starters. The loss of Turner is going to hurt but at the same time Massey is a quality PG coming in behind him. Recruiting a PG becomes very important now.

Oh, one other piece of info here. Every single one of these guys has a potential of C or C-. That's a bit disappointing as well.

Full roster review and lineups to come later. A quick look at the MAC shows that Kent State has the strongest roster strength and we are #2. Lots of teams are not far behind. If we can consistently make up for the loss of Wayne Turner, we should be able to contend for the MAC title this year.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #276
Radii
Head Coach

2012/13 Ohio Roster Overview

Starting Lineup

PG Drake Massey - SR - 72 OVR - 6'1" 211 lbs - Massey didn't start last year but he's been an integral part of the rotation for both my seasons here. He's an outstanding defender at this level(86), is an adequate point guard(82 handling/79 passing), and is a solid shooter (83 close/75 med/78 3). When his confidence is high he often gets a big enough boost to his ratings to get the sharpshooter icon out on the floor. His speed and awareness leave something to be desired.

SG Arzelle Cooper - SO - 75 OVR - 6'5" 198 lbs - Very good defender (84), very good speed(89/84 quickness), adequate shooter (77 close/74 med/75 3). He's a great hustler, his awareness is just average as well (68 off/71 def). Not a prolific scorer but he is a threat to drive to the basket or take shot from anywhere on the court, which makes him very dangerous.

SF Wendell House - SO - 73 OVR - 6'8" 205 lbs - Nothing about House's ratings really jump out at you, 86 close/71 med/70 3, only a 76 rated defender, 83 speed(solid for a guy his size). Some of his physical skills though, 83 vertical, 90 stamina, 89 dunk/72 standing dunk, start to shed light on his abilities. The guy is an athlete, pure and simple. He can hit a spot up shot at times, but his big edge comes in his ability to make plays going towards the basket. He draws lots of fouls and gets a lot of defenders out of position to open up the floor for everyone else.

PF Daryl Delic - JR - 77 OVR - 6'7" 219 lbs - Delic has great skills. 91 close/71 med, 80 post offense/73 post defense, 84 oreb/80 dreb. He's a great shooter in traffic(89). His awareness isn't great either(74 O/69 D). If he were 6'10" he'd probably be one of the best big men in the conference. At 6'7" he does struggle some, though he still came through with 9.5 ppg/6.5 rpg last year.

C Curtis Watson - FR - 73 OVR - 6'9" 236 lbs - This is my toughest decision. First, Watson - 87 close/69 post offense isn't all that great for a big, though his 89 shooting in traffic rating is outstanding. 77 post defense/87 oreb/84 dreb give him the look of a spectacular defensive player, compared to my other guys. A decent shot blocker(74 blk) and a good athlete(73 vert/70 str/76 hustle) all are pretty good for a guy his size. I'm not 100% sold on starting him yet though. More on that later.

Bench Players

PG Dee Flowers - JR - 64 OVR - 5'9" 158 lbs - Flowers has average speed (83/82 quickness), is a decent ball handler(81 handling/75 passing), an average defender (89 def), and an average shooter (79 close/71 med/72 3). None of it stands out as all that great, but it all looks perfectly fine to be the guy that comes in when Massey needs a breather.

SG Chuck Lamkin - FR - 66 OVR - 6'4" 197 lbs - 83 close/63 med/73 3. If I can keep his confidence up he'll be a guy I can try to get some open looks from 3. He won't be my most consistant shooter but he can get hot and give us a lift off the bench. Average defense(76) and average speed. His defensive awareness is terrible (56) which does stand out. He has little chance to ever start for me, but, we have a great talent in Arzelle Cooper starting, Lamkin can be a 4 year backup and a decent contributor.

SF Kaylen Lufkin - FR - 73 OVR - 6'8" 204 lbs - Lufkin looks a lot like House. He's above average shooting from everywhere for a SF (82 close/71 med/70 3), he's an adequate defender, adequate rebounder. His physical skills are behind House's, though he hustles like crazy(90 hustle). I need to get him on the court and see what he can do, but I'm *hoping* for a Wendell House lite type of guy. He rates very well overall and has no huge weak spots(though 73 defense leaves something to be desired). Looks great for depth.

PF Eni Danelius - JR - 73 OVR - 6'8" 217 lbs - Danelius is my transfer from Utah. 92 close/80 in traffic/77 clutch(highest on the team) has me hoping he can be a scoring threat off the bench. He's only an average rebounder and average in the post with little speed. But again, looks like a solid backup.

C Kenan Sessoms - JR - 69 OVR - 7'0" 265 lbs - Sessoms was my backup center last year. If Watson hadn't come in so well polished Sessoms would be an easy decision to start. He's my best post defender (79 post defense) and one of my best shot blockers (77). He's only average on he boards and not a great scorer(81 close). But, he's 7 feet tall, which makes him much more intriguing than his raw ratings.

A couple guys are left out of this rotation:

C Arnaud Dahi - JR - 70 OVR - 7'0" 228 lbs - Dahi suffered all last season. He averaged 8 points/7 boards a game which is pretty darn good, but Sessoms outperformed him in almost every game I played out. Dahi has huge confidence issues, I had to give him 4 pep talks. Perhaps he is homesick(he's from the Ivory Coast).

PF Cliffone Mikalauskas - SR - 69 OVR - 6'10" 240 lbs - Mikalauskas came in as a JC recruit last season. His skills are not that good. rebounding ratings below 80, post ratings below 85, close range shooting only 81. I think our transfer guy Danelius will be a much better backup to Delic.

SG Shawn Garcia - FR - 65 OVR - 6'5" 193 lbs - Garcia came in as my weakest recruit, the CPU suggests redshirting him and I will do just that. Lamkin is only rated 1 point higher overall, but Lamkin has better athletic ability and is a little more polished. The one thing Garcia has that Lamkin doesn't is a better mid-range jumper. They are both rated the same from 3. Garcia may well transfer if I redshirt him but unlike last year, i actually have good depth now, so that's a risk I have to deal with.

I really have one big choice until I see these guys in action and get a feel for them... Start the 7'0" center or the 6'9" one with noticeably better talent. How much is that extra height worth?

It doesn't feel entirely right pulling Dahi all the way out of the rotation after he played so well as a Freshman, but last season he was simply a foul machine whose most common line when I played out a game was 1-5, 2 points, 4 rebounds, 3 fouls. I have a lot of options for my big men and Dahi is odd man out right now.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #277
Radii
Head Coach

2012/13 MAC Preview

Based purely on overall roster strength:

1. Kent State - 82 OVR
2. Ohio - 81 OVR
3. Buffalo - 78 OVR
4. Ball State - 78 OVR
5. Bowling Green - 77 OVR
6. Eastern Michigan - 77 OVR
7. Northern Illinois - 76 OVR
8. Central Michigan - 75 OVR
9. Toledo - 75 OVR
10. Western Michgain - 74 OVR
11. Miami Ohio - 73 OVR
12. Akron - 73 OVR

Best Overall Player - Colin Wierzba - C - 84 OVR - Kent State
Best Freshman - Brian Crandle - SG - 75 OVR - Miami Ohio
Best Shooter - Terry Bey - PG - 73 OVR - Akron
Best Playmaker - Clifford Cesar - PG - 74 OVR - Kent State
Best Pro Prospect - Colin Wierzba - C - 84 OVR - Kent State
Best Defender - Michael Murphy - SF - 80 OVR - Kent State

So Kent State has the best overall player, best playmaker, and best defender in the league, and those turn out to be 3 different guys. despite the overall roster strength being so close for us and Kent State, Kent State has to be the heavy favorite going into the season. Of course, the big factor for us is that, while we have an experienced starting lineup, we just have a large number of guys with no experience whatsoever. 4 of our 5 primary backups are brand new.

Last edited by Radii : 03-07-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #278
Radii
Head Coach

I set up my rotations and training for the year. Most freshmen and sophs I have train one skill and go balanced in the other slot to try to catch up a weaker ability. By the time I have juniors I'm hoping to be happy with balanced training the rest of the way.

Preseason Recruiting

My current depth:

PG - 1 senior, 1 junior
SG - 1 soph, 2 freshmen
SF - 1 soph, 1 freshman
PF - 1 senior, 2 juniors, 1 freshman
C - 2 juniors

I've got two scholarships available this season. I think the ideal for me would be one point guard and one big man. I am assuming since I have such depth at PF and C, that I'm going to have a hard time attracting any serious talent. But with 5 of my 6 big men graduating in the next two years, I need to bring something in now for sure.

That being said, I decide to take an aggressive approach towards finding a PG in the early recruiting period.

4* PG Arnaud Norton out of Greensboro, NC is a top 100 recruit with a ton of talent. He is interested in a couple ACC teams and if any of them come calling we'll drop off immediately. But he has > 60% interest in Ohio as well and we'll go hard after him while we can. We can afford to take a long shot with just 2 scholarships to fill.

3* PG Toby Warner is a local kid out of Cleveland, rated as the #145 recruit in the nation. He looks like he could be a great pickup for us, while he does have more interest in Xavier and Dayton and some bigger schools like Kentucky, this is another guy we want to go after hard and see how we do. Bonus here: He's Mr Basketball in Ohio, so landing him would further my coaching abilities.

A number of the guys I was going after as juniors came through as 2* players when they became seniors. I do have a little leverage on some regional PG's since I was looking into them as juniors.

I also add 3 Centers to my target list and request game tape to begin the scouting process.

I offer scholarships to Norton and Warner as soon as I am able to, and begin visiting the top Center that I'm looking at as well. Warner has interest just high enough after the scholarship offer that he's ready for a campus visit right away.

Akron offers a scholarship to Warner as well. Akron leads Ohio early but with two more home visits coming and my A+ Charisma I am optimistic.

Norton is a bit more iffy, even with the scholarship offer we're still only 9th on his list. I'll be able to get him in for a campus visit in week 3. If that doesn't go well it'll be time to jump ship.

Last edited by Radii : 03-07-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #279
Radii
Head Coach

November 7, 2012 – 2k Sports College Hoops Classic D

Ohio vs Longwood

This is a 4 team tournament. The winner of Ohio/Longwood plays the winner of Seton Hall/Florida A&M. There is a 3rd place game as well.

Scouting

Longwood is an independent rated 72 OVR (73 offense/71 defense/76 shooting/81 rebounding). By comparison we are rated 80 OVR (80 offense/79 defense/83 shooting/85 rebounding).

They actually have 4 very solid players, all rated around 71-73, they can all shoot fairly well and everything. But no one else on their roster is rated above 60. We hope to wear them down and beat them fairly easily.

Half
Time
OHIO
LON
Notes
I've been chatting with my sister and just mindlessly running plays so far, so I haven't been very efficient at all. Time to start paying attention.
Standard jitters learning my new guys, since I refuse to take them into practice mode for awhile first Flowers hit the first 3 that he took and Lamkin has a nice 3 point play off the bench for me.
We're giving up too many open 3's in this man to man defense, but I'm not going to change it right now. We're scoring pretty well too. Lufkin as our backup SF really does seem to be made in the same mold as House, just not quite as athletic.
WOW. I've got the CPU doing my substitutions still until I get used to the team, and they have Cooper in at PG. He has turned it over on my last 3 possesions in a row, one getting picked while dribbling, a bad pass, and falling down making a move against the press.

HALF
Well I didn't expect this even with some inconsistency. I'm shooting well, 13-25 from the field but we have 9 turnovers to their 3, and they have gotten a lot of easy buckets out of those turnovers which is our biggest problem right now.

House has 8, Flowers 6(2-2 from 3), Cooper 5, Lamkin 5, Watson 4. Massey has zero points which just cannot happen. Cooper and Massey should end up being our go to guys, but I've spent a lot of time feeling out everyone else. Watson has 7 boards and does appear to be a monster rebounder.
19:00
Delic picks up foul #3 and sits. Cooper has scored 5 points for us pretty quickly to cut the lead down to 6.
We had the lead down to 1 but they hit yet another open 3 to make it 4. House's man is burning him pretty badly(House is a big SF with average at best defensive skills, he has a fast SG as his counterpart). I've started going to my go to guys and scoring more consistantly. House and Cooper are both in double figures now.

Watson has 3 fouls now, and we have 6 second half team fouls, so that is becoming an issue.
9:50
Every time we get the lead down to 2 something bad happens. It was just 59-57 and they scored 5 in about 10 seconds. Flowers and Lamkin are showing flashes of being a solid backup backcourt combo. We're throwing a lot of bad passes and making a ton of turnovers still though.
Nearing crunch time and we are still down by 7. Two things are immediately apparent. 1) We miss a lot of free throws. 2) I am having a much harder time getting Massey open shots running the point than I did with Turner. Turner was just so explosive he could create enough space for a shot any time. Massey is not the same and has been very limited as a result.
Flowers hits his 3rd 3 pointer of the game, giving us a big boost from the crowd and forcing a Longwood timeout.
3:30
Massey misses an open 3 and they go up by 6. House gets a bucket on our next trip down though. Another longwood timeout. Our starting 5 is back out for the duration.
2:10
House misses what seemed an easy chance to cut the lead down to 2, and we're staying at 4 and 6... its 4 now and their ball.
1:20
They score almost instantly after the timeout, an 18 foot jumper by their SG. We struggle to get a shot but House bails us out with a good move and a bucket with almost no time left on the shot clock. Another timeout, their ball again.

They hit a 3 pointer out of that time out and we collapsed at the end.

Longwood 88
Ohio 77

Their SF, Capel, just abused House for 25 points today. They only had 4 players worth defending but all four of those guys played 30+ minutes and played very well, accounting for 71 of their 88 points. I spent a good bit of time in the 1st half just getting used to my freshmen and what some of these guys can do, which honestly I like. I like the feeling of having to get my players to gel in a game environment.

I ran a man to man defense the entire game, that might have hurt us in some spots where House is a liability against smaller faster guys at the 3 spot. But 3 of the 4 players Longwood has that are good are guards that can shoot 3 pointers, so I didn't really want to drop back to a 2-3 zone and watch them rain threes.

I missed some Fts at annoying times but in the end we shot 16-22 from the line(they were 19-27). I was only 5-15 from 3 which hurt a lot. Cooper was 2-8 and Massey 0-4. Massey just had an awful game:

Massey: 4 points/3 assists
Cooper: 18 points/3 assists
House :18 points/5 boards
Delic: 5 points/3 boards (4 fouls/18 minutes)
Watson: 6 points/9 boards

Flowers: 11 points (3-3 from 3)
Lamkin: 8 points
Lufkin: 5 points
Danelius: 2 points/3 boards
Sessoms: 0 points/4 boards

We ended up committing 16 turnovers to their 8. Likely a product of having so much youth on the floor(remember House and Cooper are soph's even though they're veteren starters in my eyes)

One last pontification on the new season. I'm excited about this team. Its very raw and disorganized right now, which is to be expected, but we can get into a 10 man rotation and we have a lot of guys that can score. They're not all consistent scorers but Flowers going 3-3 from 3 today is a good example, Lamkin and Lufkin both showed signs of having the ability to heat up and be dangerous.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #280
Radii
Head Coach

I'll sim the 3rd place game of the tournament against a very bad Florida A&M team. Perhaps once I get to a power school I'll play every game out but the play one/sim one seems a very good mix between getting to really know my team and getting good career progression.

We beat Florida A&M with a consistant team effort:

Massey 16 points
Cooper 12 points/7 assists
House 13 points/6 boards
Delic 11 points/8 boards
Watson 5 points/10 boards

Lamkin and Sessoms both had 6 off the bench.

My next game is another cupcake, I'll sim it and play the following one.

November 13:

Ohio 92
Montana State 59

Massey with 13, Cooper 13, House 4 in limited minutes due to foul trouble. Delic leads us with 18 points and 6 boards. Watson also has foul trouble. Flowers with 12, Lamkin 11 off the bench.

Recruiting Update:

The 4* PG dream is over. Wake Forest comes in with a scholarship offer and I drop off my guy. Honestly I can't say I'm entirely unhappy about that, as we've got a Center that I need to show some love immediately.

6'10" 3* Dameon Archibong out of Kalamazoo, MI (#375 overall/#19 C) really likes us. We've got him up over 81% without even offering him a scholarship. However, he really likes Eastern Michigan too so I wnat to get him an offer and some time right away.

With 2 weeks left until the early signing period, it seems very likely that I will be even with Akron at 100% on our PG target and even with Eastern Michigan at 100% on our Center target.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #281
Radii
Head Coach

Well, dammit. My next game is a road game at Rider, a team rated just slightly under us on the road, providing a pretty damn good matchup. I'm leading them 90-88 with 3 minutes left in overtime when the game freezes. First time I've seen that in a very long time. It wasn't a disk read error, just a total freeze. No red lights either, but the controller wouldn't respond to bring up the 360 menu to shut down or anything either.

Anyway, I'm not interested in re-playing that one, so I sim the next couple and advance to the next game I was planning on playing.

We beat Rider easily in the simmed game, 71-54. They were raining 3's on us in the game I played, they ran a 3 guard offense and all 3 guards were adequate 3 point shooters. Even in a man to man defense it was damn near impossible to keep all 3 from finding an open look.

Danelius leads us with 13 points in the simmed out game, House has 12, Cooper 7.

Our next two games are both against poorly rated teams(actually teams that resemble Longwood). I sim the first vs Stony Brook, a crushing 76-37 victory.

Delic scores 19, Dahi 18, Lufkin 14. Why Dahi? Because Watson is hurt and will miss a month of action. Hooray for depth!

So now we're 4-1, heading into a game we should win against Manhattan. I'll play that when I'm less annoyed about the freeze.

Last edited by Radii : 03-08-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #282
Radii
Head Coach

November 27, 2012

Manhattan (1-2) at Ohio(4-1)

Manhattan is in the MAAC. They're rated 72 OVR and are a team we should beat. They do have the same strong rebounding rating that we do but are far inferior everywhere else as a team.

We're missing two players for this game. Starting C Watson and backup SG Lamkin. I don't want to remove the redshirt that I put on Garcia so I'm going to just play Flowers a lot more and hope that Massey/Cooper/Flowers will work in the backcourt.

Scouting

Their big strength is a 7'2” freshman center Jibrahn Capel. Not great on the boards or in the post, but he has a solid close range rating of 87, and he's 7'2” which is the main thing. PG Milton Vanttaja is a solid shooter (77 from 3) and SG Stevie Allison is a decent all around shooter(80 close/71 med/73 3).

They are weak at the 3 so maybe House won't struggle to defend so much.

Half
Time
OHIO
MAN
Notes
They're in a 2-3 zone and we're getting tons of open jumpers. Massey has 2 3's, Cooper 1. We also have 3 offensive boards.
11:20
They've hit 2 3's with one of their backups, but House has gotten to the hoop and drawn two fouls on Capel, their 7'2” monster. He's sitting.
8:00
Their starting SG, Allison, has hit 2 quick 3s and I call a timeout to bitch out my team.
6:00
Delic sits with 2 fouls.

HALF
Giving up too many 3's remains a theme, even in tight man to man defenses. Their SG , Allison, has 14 points including 2-2 from 3(6-8 total... that's gotta stop). Their backup, Elliot, is 2-3 from 3 for 8 points. As a team they are 6-11 from 3 and 16-30 overall.

Massey is playing well, 8 points/5 boards from the guard spot. We hae 3 guys with 6, and House has 5, but he should have more. Every time he drives he draws a foul, he's wreaking havoc on their interior defense. But, he's 3-7 from the line. As a team, we are 4-11 from the line. FOUR FOR ELEVEN. Completely unacceptable.
19:30
4 quick points for Manhattan. Cooper draws Capel's 3rd foul inside.
18:00
We've drawn 3 fouls this half, including one on a 3 point attempt. We're 2-7 from the line this half. Meanwhile, they are 2-3 from 3 to extend the lead to 8.
We were down 52-41 just a minute ago. Delic with a reach for his 3rd foul of the game, he sits. We are now 7-20 total from the line.
We've drawn 7 fouls on them this half, which will help if we can make some free throws. We've gotten the lead down to 4 but they had a 4 point possession(3 point play chance/missed Ft/putback) to make it 8 again, and we're working on that deficit now.
Once again we're falling far behind a team that we should beat 9 times out of 10. We have 7 fouls now and they're in the bonus.
We draw foul #4 on Capel, he's been totally neutralized today. Cooper makes 1 of 2 to make it a 10 point game(was 11)

Man what the hell. They score the next 6 in a row and we are just screwed.

Manhattan 89
Ohio 74

They shoot 14-26 from 3. I shoot 13-28 from the free throw line. No way to win like that.

Their two starting guards, who I had defended in tight man to man defense all game, were 8-14 from 3 and scored 43 points. Massey and Cooper were defending them for the most part. My two best man to man defenders. Their awareness is low so perhaps that's it? I really don't know. The 3-2 zone in this game is god awful, and I can't stop anyone in man to man defense, I must be doing something wrong at this point as we're 4-2, 4-0 in simmed games and 0-2 against teams rated much worse than us. The game that froze on me against Rider they were making 3's on us like crazy, but in the simmed game we win by 17 without trying. Ah well. I'll figure it out eventually!

Massey: 18 points/7 boards
Cooper: 21 points
House: 10 points/4 boards
Delic: 2 points/5 boards
Sessoms: 8 points/10 boards

Flowers 6 points
Dahi 6 points

I have noticed that I have gotten away from my post game too much. Delic only took 2 shots today, and one was a successful hook shot in the post as part of my normal offense. I need to work on that a lot more as I have a team now with a number of decent big men and no go to lights out shooter.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #283
Ramzavail
College Starter

Looks like a really deep team. 4-2, with losses to Manhattan and Longwood, maybe should have been 6-0, those teams sound weak to me.

I knew you couldn't keep Dahi from playing. I get that way too, when you have a solid freshman who plays big minutes their freshman year, then you get recruits who surpass that frosh ratings wise - you still sort of have an affinity to continue playing them because they helped you out in the previous year.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #284
Radii
Head Coach

November 29, 2012

Houston (3-1) at Ohio(4-2)

Houston is an team rated about the same as us, from Conference USA. They're at 80 OVR (80 off/79 def/83 sht/86 reb), slightly better on the boards, slightly worse on defense.

Scouting

PG Vakeaton Bouma – SR – 69 OVR – Good passer, aveage defense and ball handling. 80 close/70 med/71 3, Njoya is the big threat on offense but Bouma isn't bad and we don't want him wide open.

SG Drake Njoya – JR – 83 OVR – Njoya would be a superstar in the MAC, and is a damn fine player in CUSA. Averaging 20 points a game in his first four games, slowing him down a little will be our biggest challenge. 88 close/84 med/73 3, 89 speed/87 quickness/87 vertical, the guy is a big time athlete. Great ball handler, good defender. I'll need to make sure my best defender is on him at all times.

SF Dominick Dobbins – JR – 74 OVR – A 6'6” guy with average skills all around. 84 defense is his best rating, not very fast, an average, but not great shooter (80 close/72 med/73 3). that is the type of guy that has been killing me lately though against the Manhattan's and Longwood's of the world. He only averages 4 points/game so far.

PF Leighton Queen – FR – 66 OVR – 6'8”, fast for a big guy(76 speed). Not much of a post defender or rebounder, 77 post offense is above average but not spectacular. Low close range and traffic ratings as well. Hopefully he isn't going to be a huge threat.

C Hector O'Hara – SO – 72 OVR – 7 feet/251 pounds, he's an average rebounder and average in the post (77 orb/82 drb/78 post off/72 post def). 87 close/83 in traffic and a decent dunker. He's not much of a shot blocker past his height.

Houston's backup SG, Tarrance Cornette, is an 83 rated 3 point shooter that we need to worry about. Their backup PG is rated 75 from 3 and can stroke it at times as well.

Half
Time
OHIO
HOU
Notes
Heh, these guys are good. On the first play of the game their 7 foot center pump faked, got Sessoms in the air and went up for a windmill jam that was quite impressive.
11:10
Unfortunately I feel like we're playing pretty damn well. But they seem a lot stronger than us despite the rating. Delic has 5 for us and i've done an ok job of feeding the ball inside. I haven't taken a lot of 3's yet, I think we're 0-1.
Flowers and Massey each hit a 3 and Massey with an open jumper. They get a couple easy buckets in low and a nice midrange jumper that was open. We've cut the lead down a bit. I'm really not keen on pushing this game into the 90s which is looking like where its going but they are scoring fast when they get the ball.
Very disappointing stretch. We had it down to 33-28 and had the ball twice with chances to cut it down to 3, failing both times. Now a quick 5 from Houston pushes it out to double digits.
3:00
Sessoms with some strong work inside. Cooper misses a jumper, Sessoms with the board but its a long rebound and I don't try the putback. House with a jumper that misses, Sessoms with the board again, and this time he's fouled going back up with it. He hits both from the line and we've got it back down to 6 again.

HALF
ARGH! We played great down the stretch, had it down to 3 at one point, but they close out on a 6-2 run and lead by 7 at the half. Cooper almost had a 3 point play chance with 40 seconds left, but his shot rimmed out. He made 1 FT, missed the second, Delic with the board and fouled going back up. He makes 1 of 2, their ball. We play great defense for 32 seconds or so but Njoya gets open for a 3 and sinks it in the final 5 seconds of the half.

Njoya has 12 for them. That's really not bad given some of the horrific performances we've allowed other teams stars to have in the past. Bouma, their PG, has 9, and their center has 8. They're shooting well over 50%, 18-31 from the field, and are 5-9 from 3.

Massey leads us with 11, Cooper and Delic with 7 each, Sessoms with 6. I'm very happy with our inside play. Sessoms is well on his way to a double double(7 boards already). We're being more aggressive as well and drew 8 fouls on Houston in the first half, sending us to the line 12 times. We're 7-12. We're a 65% FT shooting team or so, so that is not suprising.
18:50
They start the second half the same way they start the first. O'Hara with a pump fake about 10 feet out, Sessoms falls for it, O'hara with the windmill dunk going by him. We draw 3 fouls on them in the first minute. We are 2-6 at the line.
17:45
Houston now has 6 fouls in the 2nd half. Two stupid reach in fouls and another shooting foul in transition. We are now 2-8 at the line. The fouls have in part been triggered by good defense on our end. They're all coming in transition, we've gotten two blocked shots and a steal to start the break.
14:30
We had it down to 50-46, allowed them to roll off 6 straight, and respond with 5 of our own to make it a 5 point game. We're close, and we're playing well but we can't seem to quite push this into a lead yet.
Cooper with his 3rd foul.
11:00
House with his 3rd foul. We've drawn 10 on them now though so the edge is still ours. I think we do have 4 or 5 now though. All 3 of House's are in the last 5 minutes.
8:15
We're keeping it at 6 and still scoring pretty efficiently but we just can't get the stops when we need them to make a run. Massey has 17 now and has done great for us today, he's scored our last 5. We have 7 fouls now so both teams are shooting free throws the rest of the way.
8:05
House with a graet block, but they pick it back up and House picks up his 4th foul on the follow up.
Well that was about as bad as possible. When house got his 4th foul they made one, missed one. They got the board, and after a short time drew a foul on Flowers. They made both free throws, and we turned it over against their press and they make a layup. That's 5 points in about 20 seconds.
5:45
I think our window to make a run to win this has just about closed. We're still fighting but they're making it very hard for us to score.
4:05
We scored 4 straight to get it down to 9 before a foul allows them to hit two free throws. I call a timeout to try to keep my guys rested.
2:35
A solid bucket by Sessoms, a fast break bucket by house and a goaltending giving Cooper 2, mixed in with two good defensive stops and its a 5 point game with 2:30 to go. Massey is gassed so Flowers gives him a breather.
They score a bucket, and we get Delic to the line(drawing the 4th foul on their 7 footer O'Hara). He only makes 1 of 2. We get a stop, and Cooper draws a foul on a fast break attempt, again ALMOST a 3 point play try, the ball rolled around the rim and out. He makes them both and its a 4 point game.
1:40
They miss a shot but get the offensive board. Cooper with a reach in trying to take it away for his 4th foul. They only make 1 of 2 from the line. Our ball, down 5.
House gets his man in the air, goes to the hole and draws the 5th foul on O'Hara. Their center is out for the final 1:30! House makes both free throws and we trail by 3. Also, Massey back in for Flowers.
1:15
Massey overplays on defense and ends up way out of position. The mistake ends up leaving Njoya wide open for 3. He doesn't miss.
0:35
We trade a couple quick baskets as we break their press and go straight to the basket. We're fouling now.

Cooper misses a 3 on our next possession and that seals it.

Houston 94
Ohio 86

Well, its another loss in a played out game, but this one is different. We did a better job going inside, and we lost to a team that was overall even caliber, and had a superstar type guy that was better than anyone on our team. No shame at all in this loss.

They shot 51%, we shot 50%. They made 2 more 3 pointers than us(7/16 from 3 though against this team I'm pretty happy with). A couple things that didn't go our way. Turnovers, we committed 13, they only committed 5. Free throws. They were 18/26 from the line, shooting 69%. We got to the line 13 more times, but only made 5 more shots.. 23/39, 59% from the line. If we make 28/39 its a totally different game down the stretch.

Njoya scored 23 for them. Their center, O'Hara had 15 points/9 boards. We did pretty well with them but all their mid-level guys had decent days too. ALL of them. Bouma with 17, SF Dobbins with 12, backup guard Seymour with 15,etc.

Massey: 22 points
Cooper: 19 points
House: 12 points
Delic: 9 poitns/8 boards
Sessoms: 13 points/11 boards

Flowers: 7 points
Lufkin: 4 points
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #285
Radii
Head Coach

Our next game is one we sim, against one of the top 10 mid majors, Southern Illinois. They're 4-0 and averaging 94 points/game in those first four.

We lose this one 66-61.

Delic with 21 points for us, Massey with 10, House with 7.

They have a superstar in PG Helgi Peterson(huhhuh, Helgi??). Rated 83 OVR, great speed, defense, leaping, shooting, scoring. He put up 28 of S. Illinois' 66 points.

That loss drops us to 4-4.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #286
Radii
Head Coach

Early Signing Period

Well, we've got both our guys at 99%... nope, not 100%. Another learning experience for me. I scheduled 3 games in this last week leading up to the early signing period. That means I don't get to use any recruiting points this week, which I didn't know(but didn't check on anyway). So these guys fell from 100% down to 99. Each one has a scholarship offer elsewhere so time to see how badly I screwed up.

Yup! I screwed up pretty bad! I may not have landed either one anyway as both of them did list me second despite being at 100%, but I had no shot with this screwup.

My PG Target Warner signs with Akron, and my C target Archibong signs with Eastern Michigan. Losing both of them is bad enough. Losing them both to conference rivals is awful.

I have a backup PG target that I like quite a bit that i jump right on, a top 200 guard out of Rochester Hills, MI with A- shooting and B+ skills and defense, named Michel Murphy.

All my big men signed elsewhere, I find a good looking tall guy who has not attracted too much attention yet and start to work on him. Marin O'Sullivan is rated #364 overall, which makes him the #17 center(there are like 50 PG's in the top 150, and maybe 5 centers). He has no offers yet and no one with super high interest so I jump into the mix. He scouts ealry as a B+ Rebounder, we'll have to wait to find out more.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #287
Radii
Head Coach

December 5, 2012

Ohio (4-4) at Florida Atlantic (1-3)

Florida Atlantic is rated 78 OVR, not that bad.

Scouting

PG Sonny Henderson – SR – 70 OVR – Their lowest rated starter but still not that bad. Decent speed, acceptable ball handler, good defense(84) and an average all around shooter(76 close/73 med/71 3). He's good off the dribble(80) so he can create his own shot. He's averaging 6 points/game so far this year.

SG OJ Singleton – SR – 73 OVR – fairly fast(88 speed/85 quick), only average on defense and handling the ball, and just an average shooter (85 close/74 med/75 3). We don't want him getting open but if we can defend him we can do ok. Cooper should be able to take advantage of his poor defense as well.

SF Moses Myles – SR – 76 OVR – An outstanding defender (defense 87, one of the higest i've seen). He is a very poor 3 point shooter(64) but decent inside the line(83 close/74 med). He is the #2 scorer on the team with 10.5 ppg so far.

PF Joey Israel – SO – 73 OVR – 6'10”, this is a big team. Israel is another beast in the post too, 85 post offense/77 post defense. Only average on the boards, 86 close/85 in traffic. Only averaging 7 points/game which seems low. I'm worried about him.

C Coley Markham – JR – 76 OVR – Markham is the powerhouse on their team. 7 feet tall with an 86 post offense rating, the guy is skilled. 78 post D as well. That leads him to 22 points per game so far for FAU. He's only an average rebounder. His close range shot and shooting in traffic are both only average but his post offense is to be feared.

They don't look to be very deep, only having two guys off the bench rated higher than 60, and having no offensive threats off the bench.
Half
Time
OHIO
FAU
Notes
Pretty even start. Each team has 3 fouls, no one in any foul trouble yet. Delic has 4 points down low and Cooper has 5. Massey just got a 3 point play to give us the lead.
11:25
Delic with 10 now, he's having a great first half.
We've struggled to score a bit in the last few minutes. I call a timeout after a FAU bucket inside to get some starters(cooper or massey) back out there.
Cooper with foul #2.
2:25
A blocked shot gets their crowd rocking, and Delic picks up foul #2 on our end. I call a timeout after they make 1 of the 2 at the line. Delic and Cooper have 20 of my 30 points so both of them being out with foul trouble means I need to find some scoring somewhere else.

HALF
Outstanding finish to the first half! We get a 3 from Massey and inside buckets from Dahi and Danelius to close the half on a 7-0 run and with the lead.
Markham has 6 points/4 boards for them. Their SG singleton leads them with 7 on 2-4 from 3.

On our end Delic has been on fire. He's 5-5 from the floor and 2-2 at the line for 12 points. Cooper has 10, Massey with 6. Cooper and Delic both have 2 fouls so we'll hope to keep them out of foul trouble.
14:45
Delic has 4 second half points, Cooper hit a 3 on our first possession, and Massey has our last 5, while the defense has been outstanding and we've pulled out to an 11 point lead.
12:00
They get Markham going to help them get back into it, and we get 6 straight from House. They've scored the last 5 though to get the lead down to 6 thanks to a bad combination of fouls and offensive rebounds over a couple possessions. I call a timeout to head off their run as early as possible.
9:20
After giving up 4 more and more importantly turning it over our last 3 possessions in a row, I call a time out. We had 4 starters sitting(only house was out there) and the timeout gets all 5 starters out on the court.
They tie the game up but Massey scores 5 straight, followed by a Delic basket down low and then a Massey dunk. We're back up by 8 again.
4:55
Fouls haven't been a big problem... we just drew #6 of the half on FAU. But this one happens to be Markham's 4th. Two Delic free throws puts us back up 10.
After forcing a stop, we have a 10 point lead and 4:30 to go so I decide to start burning some clock. I run the shot clock down to 5 seconds, try to feed Delic in the post but the entry pass is tipped. Flowers picks it up and shoots a desparation 3 with a man in his face, it goes in, and that might be the dagger that puts this out of reach. Still 3:45 to go though, another stop + burning another 35 seconds would probably really do it.
0:35
We trade a couple quick baskets as we break their press and go straight to the basket. We're fouling now.

We've got it wrapped up after that.

Ohio 76
Florida Atlantic 65

There we go. We finally win a game that I played out. This was a good matchup for us of course, a team with an inside game that doesn't do that well from 3. But a win is a win, and this is a road win against a team from a superior conference to the MAC.

They got 12 from Markham and 10 from Israel, their two starting bigs. SF Myles scored 11.

Massey: 23 points
House: 7 points/5 assists (a lot of our plays go out to the wing then into the post, so he gets the assist on a lot of delic's buckets)
Delic: 20 points/9 boards
Sessoms: 1 point/9 boards

Delic was 8-12 and 4-5 from the line, a surprising and impressive line against a taller frontcourt. Sessoms was 0-4.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #288
Radii
Head Coach

Our next game kicks off the Daylight Bowl tournament. Its a 4 team tournament so we'll play two games. I decide to sim the first one, since its against a team now in the top 10. UNLV is #8 in the nation and is 8-0. They're rated 85 OVR and have 3 individual players in their starting lineup rated higher than anyone on my team.

UNLV 82
Ohio 71

Heh, not bad. Sessoms leads us with 15, House and Delic with 14 each.

Our second game is against a Marshall team that we're slightly favored against. I'll play that one.

We have some good news as both Lamkin(backup SG) and Watson (maybe starting center) are both healthy again and ready to return to action. That gives us a full 10 man rotation again. I decide to return Watson to the starting lineup along with Delic. Watson is the best rebounder on the team and I want him out there.

Finally, in early player development news, Delic, Cooper and House have all developed enough to gain a point in their overall rating number. Delic is now rated 78 OVR, Cooper 76, and House 74. They are our 3 top rated players(with 3 guys at 73 OVR behind them).

Delic has made gains notably in offensive awareness, close range shooting and shooting in traffic(up to 90!)

Cooper has gained notably in defense(85 now!), 3 point shooting(76), offensive and defensive awareness.

House has gained a point of speed, vertical, ball handling and defensive rebounding.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #289
Radii
Head Coach

December 22, 2012 – Daylight Bowl Tournament

Ohio (5-5) vs Marshall (6-3)

Marshall is rated 76 OVR (77 Off/79 Def/80 Sht/79 Reb). The poor rebounding rating excites us.

Scouting

PG Francois Rice – FR – 66 OVR – Just ok speed and handling, excellent defense (86), a decent steals guy (71). 72 midrange shot, 68 from 3. Looks like this isn't a dangerous 3 point shooting team at all.

SG Jeremy Whitted – SO – 68 OVR – Poor defense (75), not a steals guy (65), and not an outside shooter at all (82 close/71 med/67 3). Doesn't look like a player that will bother Cooper at all. 6 ppg.

SF DeAngelo Mack – SR – 71 OVR – Good defender(83), good midrange shot (83 close/76 med/ only 66 3). Not a lot of speed or handling ability though. He averages 12 ppg.

PF Tarick Martinez – SR – 74 OVR – Martinez is a great defensive rebounder(rated 89), a solid scorer (92 close/72 med/69 3, damn good for a PF), 75 post offense/76 post defense. He's 6'7”, same as Delic, and looks pretty solid overall. 9.3 ppg/6.6 rpg.

C Howie Burrowes – JR – 70 OVR – Only 6'7” and just an average rebounder for a center(79 o/78 d). Only average in the post, 88 close range shot but not much else to supplement that to make me think he's a giant scoring threat. 5.1 ppg.

They have a ton of depth inside, a 7 footer coming off the bench at center, a backup PF that scores 10 points/game. So it looks like they're likely to make a living in the paint. That's a good thing for us.

Half
Time
OHIO
MAR
Notes
Delic has drawn 2 fouls on Burrowes so far. The crowd is really pumped up for a 3rd place game in a crappy tournament in El Paso, TX. Each team has gotten the crowd to go off in their favor once already.
14:10
This is what pisses me off about this game sometimes. Their starting SG, 67 3 point ability, really not that great, 3-3 from 3 against a man to man defense each time with Cooper, my best defender, being the man assigned to him. If that was even remotely a rare thing it'd be ok but its too damn common. I'm just afraid to mess with the shooting sliders
I call a timeout and go for wholesale subs. Our starters did a great job feeding it inside. Delic has 8 and Watson has 4. Watson has 4 or 5 boards already too.
3:50
The backups do pretty well, two more bullshit 3's at the end of their run make it a 6 poitn game. I call a timeout to get my starters back in.

HALF
Adjusted for confidence(ie when you look at a player card in the box score during a game and it shows you the inflated rating that they're playing at this game), Marshall has one player rated above 70 from 3. That player is 0-1 from 3. the rest of their team:

rating 69: 3-3 from 3
rating 68: 2-3 from 3
rating 64: 0-1 from 3
rating 61: 1-2 from 3
rating 63: 1-1 from 3

That's 7-10 from 3 for those guys. 7-11 as a team. Its a small sample size, but seriously, even if I wasn't on the floor, with no defense out there, how often would that group go 7-10 from 3 in practice?
18:00
They are 8-12 from 3 now. I've got a 3rd foul on their center but they have such depth it doesn't matter much.
17:55
They are 9-13 from 3 now.
17:30
They are 10-14 from 3 now. Admittedly that one was wide freaking open.
I'm losing control of this game entirely, and I can't explain why at all haha. We're drawing fouls and missing free throws like crazy for one thing, but other than that I really don't have an answer.
They are 10-15 from 3 (I figure if I'm going to whine and comment every time they make one I should poitn out that they all don't go in )
13:30
11-16 from 3.
A 3 point play from House and a 3 pointer from Massey and we have it back to 16. Our backups come in after a Marshall turnover gives us the ball back.
8:50
We'd gotten the lead down to 13, they pushed it back to 19. Its sitting at 16 now, we're trying to work it back down under 10 before the starters come back.
I bring the starters back in with about 6 minutes left. They did a a very good job, cutting the lead back down to 11.
After falling behind 85-71, we get 4 straight, all from the line, and foul out their center.

They hit 3 pointers on their next two possessions to go back up 16, we never cut it under 10.

Marshall 97
Ohio 85

They ended up going 15-22 from 3. I played man to man defense and set everyone to play tight D on all their guards the entire game. As I mentioned above, they only have 1 guy who was rated above 70 from 3 even after being adjusted for confidence during the game. That guy was not the one that went 6-8 from 3, or the one who went 5-6. The one that went 5-6, btw, was their starting shooting guard, who was covered by Cooper, my best defender.

Does coaching disclipline impact this somehow? I mean this game is just an absurd outlier I'm sure, but I'm just constantly seeing guys rated 70 from 3 and in the mid 60s overall kill me from 3 over and over and over when I'm playing tight man to man defense.

Cooper: 7 points
House: 9 points
Delic: 22 points
Watson: 6 points/11 boards

Flowers: 8 points
Lufkin: 7 points
Lamkin: 6 points
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #290
Radii
Head Coach

I make two changes to my coach profile. First, I change the default “pressure” from 50 to 75. I don't know if that has an impact on the guys I've already dictated to run “tight” pressure against or not. I'll see if there's a noticeable impact in the game. Second, I am going to have us run a ¾ court press after made baskets. Not a trapping defense to try to force turnovers, but a pressing defense to try to disrupt the opponent and make them take more time before they get into their offense. I read a suggestion about this on the OS forums, if it takes the offense 5-10 seconds longer to get into their offense every possession that's 5-10 less seconds they have to work the ball around for an open shot. I'll try it at least and see how it works.

December 29, 2012

Ohio (5-6) at UNC-Asheville (4-4)

This will be the worst team I've played a game out against. A good team to try out some new stuff against hopefully. They're rated 68 OVR (68 off/68 def/70 sht/78 reb).

Scouting

They've got 3 guys rated over 70 OVR.

Otis Henning is a senior SF rated 74 OVR. He's a very good inside scorer, but plays little defense. He averages 12 points/9 boards a game (78 orb/76 drb, solid for a SF).

SG Jerrid Black is a 3 point specialist, rated 84 from 3. He is an average defender(80) with average speed(83 spd/80 qck). Solid off the dribble(80), and averaging 13 ppg. We'll obviously be trying to clamp down on Black all game long.

SF Kabir Bolton is rated 70 OVR, decent speed and athleticism, average defense, average shooter(82 close/76 mid/57 3) inside the arc. He averages 11 ppg.

They have no one else rated higher than 60 overall. Wow, their arena seats 1000 people. That's one of the smallest I've ever seen.

Half
Time
OHIO
UNCA
Notes
17:55
Two fouls for Delic. We are embarrassingly ice cold.
We are 2-6 from the line. We have not made a field goal yet. I change to a 1-2-2 zone just to give a different look, though outside shooting hasn't been the problem... Bolton has 8 of their points inside.
Danelius gets a good look inside and scores our first field goal.
We draw the 2nd foul of the half on Black, their good shooting guard. Watson is now 0-3 at the line though as he misses the FT on the 3 point play.
10:30
We are just ice cold as a team. Young team on the road struggling like mad? Even against a team this bad I guess. Backups are in.
Henning, their best player at SF, has 10 points already. Dahi comes in at PF to spell Danilius, we're running into the 3rd string with Delic in foul trouble.
3:00
I switch again to a 3-2 zone, either its working a bit better or they're just cold. I'm guessing the latter b/c it seems there are open shots from 3 against the 3-2 constantly. We did have the lead back down to 7 momentarily so we're getting back into it a bit. Starters back in minus Delic.

HALF
We end the half on a 5-2 run and cut it down to 6. UNC Asheville is only shooting 35%. The turnover margin is a bit of a problem, we have 8, they only have 3. They've taken 9 more field goals than us between that and the offensive boards.

Also the fact that we are dogshit from the line continues to haunt us. We are 7-15 form the line this half. UNC-Asheville is 10-13.

Our scoring is completely balanced. Danelius and Flowers have 6 each. Cooper 5, Massey 4. House is non-existent. Massey/Cooper combine for 0-5 from 3.
19:10
House, who picked up foul #2 in the final minute of the first half, picks up foul #3 in the first minute here.
As I suspected the 3-2 zone doesn't really work either at all. Really any zone at all is complete ass for stopping the 3. We have made a little run here with back to back 3's of our own by Massey and Cooper and only trail 4.
Backups are in.
11:40
Some good defense, a bucket inside by sessoms, a jumper from lufkin, a free throw , and a layin by Flowers and we are on a 7-0 run and take the lead.
9:45
UNC-A calls their second timeout in the last two minutes as we go up by 3 after a very good defensive stand and an easy bucket by Sessoms, his 10th point today. I get our starters back in for now.
7:10
We allow a 5-0 run to tie it back up. I go ahead and put my bench back in, starters will come back in at the 5 minute mark fo rthe duration.
The backups are really outplaying the starters today. A very quick 9-0 run here led by Flowers and Lufkin give us a little breathing room.
Starters are back in.

We push the lead up to 10 with 4 minutes to go and sail to victory from there.

Ohio 84
UNC Asheville 71

I'll take whatever I can get on the road. Their 3 good players, the ones rated on the same level as most of my guys, scored 11(Black), 17 (Henning) and 17 (Bolton). We only had 4 more turnovers in the 2nd half(12 total, 8 committed by UNC-A) which helped even us out.

This is the most balanced scoring effort I've ever had.

Massey: 7 points
Cooper: 13 points
House: 4 points
Delic: 6 points/4 boards
Watson: 6 points/13 boards

Flowers: 10 points/4 assists
Lufkin: 10 points
Sessoms: 10 points/9 boards
Lamkin: 9 points

The press seemed to tire us out quite a bit faster too, Massey, Cooper, and Watson played 26 minutes each, the most for any of our guys. With no one that I absolutely hate(like Roller the past couple years who just lagged so far behind everyone else) I really like the full 10 man rotation like this. If Cooper, Massey, or House are hot, they're going to score a lot. But when they're not I don't really mind anyone at all taking the shot.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #291
Radii
Head Coach

We enter conference play with a 6-6 record. It should have been 8-4 or maybe even 9-3 probably. But, save for the occasional pissy moments when a team just goes unconscious on me for seemingly no reason(marshall!), I like the challenge with each team I've had. I've owned this game since it came out, but this dynasty contains probably 80% of the total games I've played, so I'm still seeing a lot of things for the first time, so I'm cool with 6-6 here.

Our first two conference games are against similarly rated teams. I decide to play the home game.

Well Then.

at Central Michigan 74
Ohio 46

So this team doesn't only completely shit the bed when I'm at the controls. Their center, 7'2" Rans Lemons, scores 25 points. We get 9 from Delic, 8 from House, 7 from Massey, 6 from Lamkin, 5 from Sessoms and Watson. We commit 25 turnovers and 27 fouls in this one. Delic, Massey and House foul out.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #292
Radii
Head Coach

January 12, 2013

Western Michigan (8-4, 1-0 MAC) at Ohio (6-7, 0-1 MAC)

W. Michigan is rated 75 OVR (77 Off/74 Def/80 Sht/76 Reb). As always, above all else we love seeing terrible rebound ratings, as its what we are best at.

Scouting

PG FR Filip Nance – FR – 65 OVR – Good speed, poor quickness(88/79). Only an average ball handler, passer, and defender. Average/below average shooter (75 close/70 med/67 3). Just 4.8 ppg this year so far.

SG Hal Butler – SR – 60 OVR – 63 midrange/74 from 3, poor defense and only average speed. He'll make open shots. 5.8 ppg.

SF Raitis Townsend – SR – 73 OVR – Natural PF, 6'9” and slow. Good defense for a PF, not good enough defense to defense House in the open court. Good post player and inside scorer. 14.5 ppg.

PF Kellen Rakiecki – SR – 76 OVR – 6'8”, good rebounder, good post skills, great inside shot(95), good leaper. Averaging 8.2 ppg/4.4 rpg

C Julius Wofford – SR – 71 OVR – 6'10”, average on the boards(76 O/75 D), average in the post, only 82 inside/86 in traffic so he doesn't seem like too big a scoring threat, but with his size he is their leading scorer regardless. 14.9 ppg/7.4 rpg.

We lost to Western Michigan the last time we played them. They had a quality SR PG then, but the other 4 starters are the same and are slightly improved. Despite their penchant to go inside, it was Hal Butler that killed us for 24 points the last time we played.

With 4 very experienced starters, their team unity is 56, while ours is only 44.

Half
Time
OHIO
WMU
Notes
Backups are in. They're playing a 3-2 zone and collapsing like crazy on post passes, leaving us open for 3's, if we can make them we'll score a ton. I believe all 12 of their points are from their forwards.
Outstanding run by the backups, it was 19-16 and we've scored the last 9. Timeout Western Michigan.
Starters are back in. Big hand for the backups!
Another timeout for W. Michigan. Delic just scored his 7th point, I think he might lead us at this point, pretty balanced scoring again today.

HALF
Great first half. We shoot 47%, but the big story is that Western Michigan shoots 26% on the half. Their center, Wofford, has 8, all of them in the first 7 minutes of the half.

Delic leads us with 9 points and 6 boards. Massey and Cooper each have 7. House and Watson have been no shows today, just 2 points between them. Lamkin had 5 and Sessoms 4 for the backups.
19:55
Delic picks up foul #3. Watson has 2. I'm leaving him in for now, Danelius and Dahi will be fine if Delic gets another foul.
18:50
Watson with foul #3 as well.
18:07
Now Delic sits... foul #4. House has a foul in here too, we've got 4 as a team.
They score the first 5 points of the half, all at the line, we score the next 6 to go back up 18.
12:30
Backups are in, lead up to 19, looking like we have this pretty much wrapped up.
8:30
We've gone totally cold and they've scored the last 9 in a row to cut it to 10.
We get two buckets from Sessoms and a 3 and a fast break layup from Flowers to spur a 9-2 run and get our lead back out where we want it. Starters come back in.
Delic goes out with an injury while driving to the basket and drawing a foul.

We held the ball most of the rest of the way and won easily. Delic has an ankle sprain and should be day to day for a little while.

Ohio 67
Western Michigan 58

Balanced scoring for us again today with only two people in double figures, but many close.

Massey: 11 points/2 assists
Cooper: 9 points
House: 8 points
Delic: 9 points/7 boards
Watson: 5 points/5 boards

Flowers: 8 points
Sessoms: 10 points/8 boards

Last edited by Radii : 03-12-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #293
Radii
Head Coach

Our next game is at a poor looking Miami Ohio team. I'll sim that one.

Ohio 92
at Miami OH 58

Delic with a great game, 27 points/9 boards. Danelius scores 11, while Massey has 19.

We're now 8-7 and 2-1 in MAC play. Our next game is at Northern Illinois, they're 5-12 overall and 0-3 in MAC play(Miami OH is 2-14, so i'm playing the tougher of these two opponents).

Cooper has now gained 2 points in overall rating this season, he's up to 77 OVR, with Delic at 78 OVR. Sessoms has also now gained 2 points and is 71 OVR.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #294
Radii
Head Coach

January 20, 2013

Ohio (8-7, 2-1 MAC) at Northern Illinois (5-12, 0-3 MAC)

Northern Illinios is rated 76 OVR (77 Off/75 Def/78 Sht/83 Reb). They are one of the least experienced teams we will face. We catch a break as their 2nd best player, a 6'10” senior, is out with an injury today.

Scouting

PG FR Simplice Butt – FR – 71 OVR – What the hell kind of name is Simplice Butt. 88 speed/81 quickness. Pretty good ball handler and passer, average defense(79). Outstanding long range shooter (78 close/70 med/80 3). Only 5 ppg but we expect him to score a lot more against us.

SG Jeff Graves – JR – 70 OVR - A JC transfer so this is his first year in division 1. Above average all over... 85 speed/83 quick, 81 defense, just an average shooter though, 83 close/74 med/69 3. Averaging 7.1 ppg this year so far.

SF Tom Hanaven – FR – 69 OVR – A 6'4” SG playing SF. 84 speed/85 quickness. 81 defense, 85 close/71 med/65 3. Not really good off the dribble(74), more of a spotup shooter it appears. Averaging 7.1 ppg.

PF Erick Floyd – FR – 72 OVR – Only 6'6, poor post numbers, average on the boards, 88 in close and 83 in traffic, his best traits. Decent speed for a PF and decent Defensive Awareness (72). Averaging 7.3 ppg/6.9 rpg so far this year.

C Jessie McFarland – SR – 70 OVR – Only 6'7”. Poor on the boards (73 drb), decent post offense(77) but poor defense(70). 83 in close/81 in traffic. He does lead the team with 12.2 ppg this year.

That's a great recruiting class right there, and in 3 years Northern Illinois may be one of the best teams in the league. But for now, they're starting 4 guys with zero experience. The team unity difference is large, 47 for us, 29 for them.

Half
Time
OHIO
NIL
Notes
Backups come in, we've allowed Butt to shoot open shots too often, he already has 7. Massey has two 3's and has 6 for us, while Delic and Watson have both missed a couple shots inside.
11:15
We're on a 9-0 run(it was 16-8 a bit ago) as Lamkin hits a layup and Sessoms scores twice inside.
Another timeout by N Illinois, we get a basket from Danelius as our big men are starting to take over, while the defense remains strong.
6:10
Just a dominant performance from our backups. Sessoms is strong with 6 points, a few boards, and 2 blocked shots. Starters are back in.

HALF
We'd stretched the lead out to 9 but a 3 pointer on the final possession by NIU makes it a 6 point halftime advantage. We only drew 5 fouls on them in the half, but two were on McFarland, their center. They have very little front court depth and drawing a 3rd foul on him would be very nice.

Massey leads us with 8 points. Delic and Sessoms both have 6. Cooper is ice cold, 0-4 from 3, though he has gotten to the basket on the drive and drawn some fouls, going 3-4 from the line. Watson with no offensive production but 7 boards.
Great start to the half as we extend the lead up into double digits. Delic has 6 points in the post to lead the push.
12:45
Backups are in. They've hit a couple 3 pointers to keep it from getting out of hand.
8:45
Sessoms with 4, Danelius with 2 and a lucky jumper over a double team by Lufkin late in the shot clock helps the backups extend the lead back up to 14.
The backups with another great stretch, as its a 17 point game and essentially over when the starters return.

That's pretty much all thre is to it. The starters score when needed but mostly play defense and burn clock.

Ohio 76
Northern Illinois 59

We just had too much depth and balance today against a very young team. We held them to 41% shooting and had a 30-22 edge on the boards. Their two guards, Butt and Graves, end up with 12 each. That's perfectly alright by me, espicially as Butt had 7 points in the first 7 minutes.

Good, consistent, balanced scoring by our squad today. Cooper had the chance to score a lot more but was not shooting well at all.

Cooper: 9 points
House: 5 points
Delic: 15 points/4 boards
Watson: 1 point/9 boards/2 blocks

Sessoms: 12 points/5 boards
Danelius: 8 points/6 boards

30 points total from our bench today, an outstanding effort.

Given that our guys, espicially our guards, tire faster with this ¾ court press, I really like the substitution pattern we've got going lately. The starters play until the 13 minute mark, the backups until the 6 minute mark, then the starters finish out the half/game. Someone like House could log a couple extra minutes here or there, and I'll pull guys sooner or keep them in longer depending on the flow of the game, but this feels pretty solid so far. And I really like the impact that the press gives us. We wear down teams not as deep as us a bit, and force them to take longer to get into their offense. It generates maybe 2 turnovers a game only, but I think it helps us a lot more than that.

Last edited by Radii : 03-13-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #295
Radii
Head Coach

1/4 of the way through the MAC season, we're 3-1 in conference play. This is espicially nice as 3 of our 4 games so far have been on the road. We've been playing against the bottom of the conference though.

Next week begins a key stretch for us. We host Buffalo (4-0 MAC) and travel to E. Michigan (4-0 MAC). Additionally, in our next 7 games, we play the 5 teams with the highest roster strength's in the league(aside from us), and a Toledo team that is lower rated but has spent a lot of time in the Mid-Major top 25.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:48 AM   #296
Radii
Head Coach

January 23, 2013

Buffalo (10-7, 4-0 MAC) at Ohio (9-7, 3-1 MAC)

Buffalo is rated 79 OVR (80 off/77 def/82 sht/77 reb). From a team perspective we really like the rebounding margin and always love poor defensive teams. Buffalo has the best defensive efficiency in the MAC (rated A+/#22 in the nation), #2 offensive efficiency in the MAC (B+/#95 nationally). They are averaging a 10 point margin of victory per game this year so far.

Scouting

PG Clark Clement – SO – 69 OVR – 90 speed but 74 quickness. Very good passer, good defender (83). 82 close/67 med/72 3, not great but he'll make shots if open. 5.6 ppg/6.3 apg this year.

SG Terrence Adingono – SR – 70 OVR – Great speed (88), very good shooter from all over (82 close/78 med/77 3). Cooper will stick to him like glue hopefully. Not a great defender(79). Only averaging 6.9 ppg as they go inside more often.

SF Brendon Goodson – SR – 76 OVR - 6'6”, great hustle(93) and strength for a SF (73). He's got a very good midrange shot (77) and is outstanding in traffic(85). Not as good off the dribble(78) so it'll be interesting to see how strong he is at attacking the basket. A 68 3 point rating is something we like to see. Averaging 10.7 ppg

PF Garrett Dearman – SR – 76 OVR – Average on the boards, above average in the post and great inside (92 close/88 in traffic). Very strong(83) and a good leaper for a big man9700. He's only 6'7”. He leads Buffalo with 18.5 ppg and has been a true offensive force.

C Elton Falls – FR – 74 OVR – Only 6'7” so we should have an edge here. Just average on the boards (78 off/77 def). He's an outstanding post prescence (81 post offense/85 post defense) and that will give us a lot of problems. 88 close range/86 in traffic makes him a big scoring threat too. His height is the main thing we have going for us. 7.5 ppg/6.2 rpg.

Like many of the teams we play, they have limited depth. It looks like they are very strong 7 deep, but all that in reserve is SF and big men. Their best guard off the bench is rated 58 OVR.

They have the unity edge, 55 vs 48.

Half
Time
OHIO
BUF
Notes
17:40
They press and swat at the ball like crazy, and Clement has two fouls already, exposing their severe lack of guard depth. Cooper has all 7of our points so far.
Cooper with a dunk on a breakaway after a blocked shot, giving him our first 9 points. The next two trips down court, Massey buries open 3's. Timeout Buffalo.
12:40
A couple defensive lapses and they're right back in it. They're doubleteaming so fast in the post that I really haven't had a choice but to do anything but kick it out for outside shots. Backups are in.
We had a 25-17 lead and had the chance to go up 10 after a hot start for the backups, but we've gone completely cold and Buffalo has scored the last 3 trips down court, they're on a 7-0 run and only trail by 1.
Starters are back in.
4:35
Two offensive boards and our first interior bucket(by Watson) gets the crowd going strong in our favor. Buffalo calls a timeout.
2:20
Massey with his 2nd foul, hammering a guy from behind on a fast break. I get Flowers in for the rest of the half to be safe.

HALF
They hit two three pointers in the final two minutes to close down on the lead. Both teams shoot terribly, we are 11-29, they are 13-29. We are 5-11 from 3 however(hmm, which makes us 6-18 from 2, nice). And we are 8-10 from the line.

Their SG Adingono leads them with 9 points, PF Dearman has 6, no one else has more than 3.

Cooper has 11 for us, Massey 8. Watson has 4 inside but we are struggling just to get inside shots, much less make them.
We get the crowd going nuts for us with a Cooper 3 to make it 43-40, but a quick 2 on the other end, a turnover and an easy layup gives Buffalo their first lead since it was 6-4. I call a timeout.
Four straight from House, a 3 by Buffalo and we're tied at 47. Their PG, Clement, picks up foul #3 and sits.
Massey misses an open 3 that would have given us a 7 point lead, they come down and cut it to 2, and I call a timeout to get my backups in.
This is a battle here. We trade baskets,til they get 4 in a row and tie it at 55. Now we have the last four, with a Sessoms bucket in deep giving us a 4 point lead and forcing Buffalo into a timeout.
6:10
I get my starters back in, I'm having a real hard time finding a go to guy with the backups, they're pressuring Flowers too much for his 5'10 ass to get a shot up, and Sessoms and Danelius are struggling to get shots off in deep. I need Cooper and House out there, badly.
They hit a 3 to tie it right out of that last time out. I get a bucket from Watson, then they get 4 straight. All 7 poitns have come from their SF, Goodson.
Timeout buffalo after Cooper gets down in there with the trees to snag an offensive board and gets the putback.
2:05
UGH. We take the lead, get the ball back after a turnover against our press, the crowd is going nuts for us, but we just cannot get a good shot, Delic ends up getting a shot blocked, leading to an easy deuce. On our next possession Massey misses a 3, Delic gets the long board but his kickout pass it tipped and they steal it, getting a dunk. Buffalo in the lead. We call a timeout.

Cooper has to win this game for us. His man is a poor defender and cooper has been beating him all day. I just need to set it up properly.
Cooper did get by his man and drew a foul, only making 1 of 2. They got it inside to Dearman who pump faked and got a very easy look. Our ball down 3.
1:16
Massey drives past his man and makes a layin. They call a timeout, they're up 1.
0:50
Their PG, Clement, works a good inside out play with one of their post men and drains a 3 pointer. 4 point game.

House tries to drive to the basket on our next possession, can't beat his man, and throws it away trying to kick it back up top to Massey. We have to start fouling. They go up by 8. We get a 2 and a 3 pointer with 5 seconds to go to make it a 3 point ending, but they pulled through down the stretch.

Buffalo 77
Ohio 74

They had just a bit much late. Massey missed a few open 3's that I would normally expect him to hit. Delic was just a total non-factor, and Cooper was my only reliable scorer today. Their best rated player, SF Goodson, really came through when it counted. He scored 10 straight Buffalo points in that stretch where they took the lead for good towards the end, ending up leading their team with 18 points.

Massey: 12 points
Cooper: 26 points
House: 11 points
Delic: 3 points/6 boards
Watson: 6 points/8 boards

Lamkin with 6 off the bench. Danelius had 3 points/7 boards and Sessoms 2 points/5 boards.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #297
Radii
Head Coach

Well we get a Pyrrhic Victory at Eastern Michigan, coming through with a huge win over a quality team on the road in our simmed game:

Ohio 86, at Eastern Michigan 69.

House scores 15 in 18 minutes. Massey scores 14, Delic 14, Watson 7.

Why did House play 18 minutes?

SF Wendell House has sustained a "broken patella" and is going to be out for 285 days. He won't even be ready by the time his Junior season starts.

The good news here is that Freshman SF Kaylen Lufkin is my highest rated bench player is is ready to step into a starting role. It will hurt my 10 man rotation a bit, I may toss PF Mikalauskas into the backup SF role just to keep it going, give me a large guy and increase the rebounding we have on the reserves.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #298
Radii
Head Coach

Buffalo is 7-0 in MAC play now. Ohio, E. Michigan, Kent State, Toledo, and Western MIchigan are all tied at 4-2 for 2nd place.

This next week we play Bowling Green(rated well but 2-4 in the MAC/6-12 overall) and Akron(in complete freefall, 1-6 MAC/3-14). Winning both these games would make us 6-2 at the halfway point and position us as one of the biggest threats to Buffalo in the second half of the season. I'll play Bowling Green tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #299
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
SF Wendell House has sustained a "broken patella" and is going to be out for 285 days. He won't even be ready by the time his Junior season starts.

Ouch, had that happen in my Central Michigan legacy in 2K7, ended up redshirting my guy the next season rather than have him miss most of the season.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #300
Ramzavail
College Starter

man that sucks.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote