Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
lungs
Pro Rookie

Coup In Honduras

First successful coup in Latin America in the post-Cold War era

Left wing President defies the Honduran Supreme Court and the Supreme Court authorizes the military to whisk the President to Costa Rica.

Discuss.

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

aol is still around?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
aol is still around?

There are some nice comments in the comments section from some right wingers about how the military here ought to do this to Obama.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure this is the standard military coup though, based on what I read this morning.

I mean, you've got the military, the supreme court, the congress, and the guy's own party pretty much in agreement that he overstepped his bounds so far that he had to be removed from office. That seems more than a bit more of a consensus that I associate with typical third world coups.

They may be a bit spotty on the letter of their own law about what they did with him once he was removed, but in & of itself I really don't see this in the same light as, say, the 70's coups at all.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-28-2009 at 08:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

interesting
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not sure this is the standard military coup though, based on what I read this morning.

I mean, you've got the military, the supreme court, the congress, and the guy's own party pretty much in agreement that he overstepped his bounds so far that he had to be removed from office. That seems more than a bit more of a consensus that I associate with typical third world coups.

Agreed. I don't think there is too much uproar about this in Honduras. Most of the yapping is coming from Cuba and Venezuela. Doesn't sound like this Pelaya guy would've had much chance anyway if he were allowed to run for reelection.

If the military is simply facilitating somebody else finishing his term (less than one year) and elections being held on schedule, it's really no big deal.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

lungs, you never fail to crack me up with your wording of things. I have this mental image of the President of Honduras sitting in his office, having the ceiling open up, seeing a big metal claw dropping onto him, clutching him, lifting him to Costa Rica, and dropping him on a big pile of hay.

Yeah, I was an only child.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
Voo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
lungs, you never fail to crack me up with your wording of things. I have this mental image of the President of Honduras sitting in his office, having the ceiling open up, seeing a big metal claw dropping onto him, clutching him, lifting him to Costa Rica, and dropping him on a big pile of hay.

Yeah, I was an only child.

Somebody could afford to play the claw game in honduras?
Voo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo View Post
Somebody could afford to play the claw game in honduras?

ooh look! lurker-alert!!! lurker-alert!!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-29-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
lungs, you never fail to crack me up with your wording of things.

It's how farmers talk
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Agreed. Most of the yapping is coming from Cuba and Venezuela.

Wow. I am shocked. Just shocked I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't know enough about the Honduran political situation to offer a really educated opinion, but it sounds like on a brief read that despite the fact that there are constitutional term limits in place this President was trying to get a referendum from the people to overturn them?

If so, even if he would have been defeated in that attempt (sounds like he would have been), I have surprisingly little problem with the military and the Supreme Court acting to protect democracy. As long as they (which they did here it seems) turn it right over to someone appointed by the Congress and the new elections are held on schedule.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I have surprisingly little problem with the military and the Supreme Court acting to protect democracy.

I can almost guarantee you none of those people give two shits about democracy. They're acting to protect their own turf/fiefdoms and removing any threat as best they can. If this means physically removing the President, so be it.

The exact same thing happens in the US and every other country in the world. Democracy is just a fancy word for pretend everyone has a say.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
I can almost guarantee you none of those people give two shits about democracy. They're acting to protect their own turf/fiefdoms and removing any threat as best they can. If this means physically removing the President, so be it.

The exact same thing happens in the US and every other country in the world. Democracy is just a fancy word for pretend everyone has a say.

You're most likely correct. Like I said, I don't really know enough about Honduran politics to offer a truly informed opinion. I am ASSUMING (yes, huge assumption) that even if the motives are significantly more grey than they appear initially that at least the outcome will be positive.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
You're most likely correct. Like I said, I don't really know enough about Honduran politics to offer a truly informed opinion. I am ASSUMING (yes, huge assumption) that even if the motives are significantly more grey than they appear initially that at least the outcome will be positive.

...until the next coup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
lungs
Pro Rookie

Obama says coup is illegal (but they aren't calling it a coup yet?)
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #17
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The new president ended his, I dunno, inaugural address with "Long Live Democracy"

Ya gotta love that.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
SteveMax58
College Starter

Personally...I don't see anything to get too excited over. Yes...it is "green" I suppose...but the Boxster will absolutely shred it.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #19
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

This is what Obama and Hillary Clinton are calling a military coup. Obama and Clinton are claiming that Zelaya is still the president:

O'Grady: Honduras Defends Its Democracy - WSJ.com

Following is an excerpt that explains what was done in a fairly straight forward manner. Mel Zelaya is the guy removed.

Quote:
Yesterday the Central American country was being pressured to restore the authoritarian Mr. Zelaya by the likes of Fidel Castro, Daniel Ortega, Hillary Clinton and, of course, Hugo himself..............

That Mr. Zelaya acted as if he were above the law, there is no doubt. While Honduran law allows for a constitutional rewrite, the power to open that door does not lie with the president. A constituent assembly can only be called through a national referendum approved by its Congress.

But Mr. Zelaya declared the vote on his own and had Mr. Chávez ship him the necessary ballots from Venezuela. The Supreme Court ruled his referendum unconstitutional, and it instructed the military not to carry out the logistics of the vote as it normally would do.

The top military commander, Gen. Romeo Vásquez Velásquez, told the president that he would have to comply. Mr. Zelaya promptly fired him. The Supreme Court ordered him reinstated. Mr. Zelaya refused.

Calculating that some critical mass of Hondurans would take his side, the president decided he would run the referendum himself. So on Thursday he led a mob that broke into the military installation where the ballots from Venezuela were being stored and then had his supporters distribute them in defiance of the Supreme Court's order.

The attorney general had already made clear that the referendum was illegal, and he further announced that he would prosecute anyone involved in carrying it out. Yesterday, Mr. Zelaya was arrested by the military and is now in exile in Costa Rica.

It remains to be seen what Mr. Zelaya's next move will be. It's not surprising that chavistas throughout the region are claiming that he was victim of a military coup. They want to hide the fact that the military was acting on a court order to defend the rule of law and the constitution, and that the Congress asserted itself for that purpose, too.........

The Honduran Congress met in emergency session yesterday and designated its president as the interim executive as stipulated in Honduran law. It also said that presidential elections set for November will go forward. The Supreme Court later said that the military acted on its orders. It also said that when Mr. Zelaya realized that he was going to be prosecuted for his illegal behavior, he agreed to an offer to resign in exchange for safe passage out of the country. Mr. Zelaya denies it.

If the information in the linked article is true, it is hardly a coup. Maybe Obama and Clinton have information that is not being shared, who knows.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote