Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #351
Tigercat
College Starter

Alright Huck, it's on now!
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #352
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Holy crap! No offense for 8 1/3 innings, then get two homers in the bottom of the 9th! The Horns have had a ton of great games this post season.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-19-2009 at 10:55 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #353
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Alright Huck, it's on now!

God I hate saying this but go tigers
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #354
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
God I hate saying this but geaux tigers

Come on, fight back the gag and go all out tacky-cajun!

There is one thing that really scares me about Texas, Austin Wood. Watching him pitch he is exactly the kind of lefty that can really handcuff LSU. I would assume Augie will know LSU's tendencies and will start him one game. Still, if Coleman and Ranaudo have their usual stuff it will be hard to bet against LSU on the days they start.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #355
MJ4H
Coordinator

I will never do the eaux thing. Never.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #356
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wait, which team practices gorilla ball? Three solo shots (so far) in the 4th for Texas.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #357
Tigercat
College Starter

Texas has earned having a lead, better starting pitching and better job at hitting, but the ump behind the plate has really screwed LSU over. His strike zone between the two starters early was horribly inconsistent, and that "wild pitch" hit the Texas batter square in back.

Last edited by Tigercat : 06-22-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #358
Tigercat
College Starter

Coleman just didn't have his good stuff in the CWS, think he pitched too much during the season. What a gutsy year for him, too bad he couldn't end on a better note.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #359
cartman
Death Herald

I really hope these teams play three games. This is some entertaining baseball!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #360
Tigercat
College Starter

I don't know if I could take two more games like THIS. Workman has some serious gas, hope for my sake that one of our big bats here can get solid metal on one.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #361
cartman
Death Herald

LSU gets the clutch hit in the 11th, and keeps the Horns from scoring the bottom of the inning to take Game 1, 7-6.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #362
Tigercat
College Starter

LSU had the weaker starting pitcher and the stronger bullpen tonight, while hitting quite a few less HRs than Texas. Never would have guessed any of that going into tonight, but that's baseball.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #363
cartman
Death Herald

Texas bounces back nicely from the disappointing loss last night to beat LSU 5-1. Tomorrow night is the winner takes all game!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #364
Tigercat
College Starter

One of those games where you just tip your cap to the opposing pitcher, he mixed pitches very well, and when he missed bad out of the zone he would paint the ump's zone perfectly with the next pitch.

I like our chances with big Anthony pitching the final game, but nothing feels close to safe with Texas hitting with that kind of confidence right now.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #365
Tigercat
College Starter

Good start for LSU, 3-0 in the 2nd. Need Ranaudo to keep the ball low for 6 more innings to hold on to the lead.

But for the third straight game the umpires are giving Texas a much better low part of the strikezone than LSU. Hopefully, like the other two games, that won't affect the outcome.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #366
Tigercat
College Starter

LSU up 9-4 in the 8th and threatening to pull away more.

Regardless of what happens the rest of the way, I have much legit respect for Texas. In my 20 or so years of watching college baseball, this Texas team is the best fundamentally coached team I have ever seen. By a decent margin. Amazingly disciplined hitters and pitchers that have a real understanding of the game.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #367
cartman
Death Herald

Congrats to LSU. Texas finally gave up the big inning to LSU, and were not able to get their own big inning early on when they had the bases loaded twice. What might have been if LSU didn't get that two out double in the 9th of Game 1.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #368
MJ4H
Coordinator

congrats LSU.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #369
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LSU earned it and deserves it.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #370
Huckleberry
College Starter

Wow, completely different take here. Texas played terribly in the field the entire CWS. It was as night and day from the rest of the year as the home runs were. LSU definitely deserves the title because they outplayed Texas, but Texas didn't make LSU play their best in order to win due to their own subpar performance in the field.

Congratulations to LSU, for sure, though.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #371
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Texas played terribly in the field the entire CWS. It was as night and day from the rest of the year as the home runs were. LSU definitely deserves the title because they outplayed Texas, but Texas didn't make LSU play their best in order to win due to their own subpar performance in the field.

What errors really cost Texas? I think the superhuman efforts at the plate far and away canceled out any bad fielding. How many good pitches did Texas foul off at the plate? Almost anytime a LSU pitcher made a bad pitch, and a few times they didn't, Texas jacked it.

Again, I have been watching CWS action since the late 80s, even when LSU wasn't there, and I have never seen a more disciplined group of hitters and pitchers.

If anyone/anything "gave away the series" it was the managerial decision to overplay the bullpen and make too many defensive subs in the first game. If Texas didn't play a good series against LSU, I have never seen a good team against a LSU championship team in Omaha.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #372
MJ4H
Coordinator

I thought Texas played WAY better than I thought they would, and way better than I had seen them play in the NCAA Tournament up to this point.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #373
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Geaux Tigers!
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #374
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
What errors really cost Texas? I think the superhuman efforts at the plate far and away canceled out any bad fielding. How many good pitches did Texas foul off at the plate? Almost anytime a LSU pitcher made a bad pitch, and a few times they didn't, Texas jacked it.

Again, I have been watching CWS action since the late 80s, even when LSU wasn't there, and I have never seen a more disciplined group of hitters and pitchers.

If anyone/anything "gave away the series" it was the managerial decision to overplay the bullpen and make too many defensive subs in the first game. If Texas didn't play a good series against LSU, I have never seen a good team against a LSU championship team in Omaha.

Well, a passed ball and an error set up the 5-run inning last night to name two.

I'm not saying Texas played badly overall. But they didn't play close to their best within the defensive half of the game. Jungmann rescued terrible fielding the previous night, for example. It's just a little disappointing. I'm certainly not saying that Texas would have won if they had played to their standard in the field, it just was frustrating to watch.

And if you expected Texas to play worse than that then you simply didn't know how good Texas was, to be honest. Offensively, okay, I'll grant you that. But that was far from the standard Texas set defensively this year. Not just in the field, but pitching as well (other than Jungmann on Tuesday night). Lots of control issues that didn't exist previously, although these plagued LSU some as well. I don't think either team played their best overall, to be honest. There were some exciting games but I don't think they were that well-played by both teams. I think when Texas got swept by Fullerton in 2004 it was a much better example of both teams playing well. And Fullerton threw in some pitching performances of a lifetime to finish Texas off.

edit - By the way, this isn't meant to take anything away from LSU's championship. For example, Texas won a very sloppy championship game against South Carolina in 2002. Didn't bother me a bit then and doesn't now. A national title is a national title.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 06-25-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote