Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Thumbs up Kudos to a great career

Congratulations to Steve Yzerman for his impending induction into the HHOF. He was not only a great, great player for the Wings, he was an ambassador for the NHL.

Stay classy, Stevie Y.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=426220&navid=DL|NHL|Home

Edit: For some reason the link is not showing up, just copy and paste into browser window if you are interested in the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.

Last edited by RomaGoth : 06-23-2009 at 11:48 AM.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

When the dust all settles, it will be really interesting to see just how many Red Wings from the 2002 Cup winning team make it into the Hall of Fame. Lidstrom, Hasek, Chelios, and Shanahan for certain. Fedorov as well. Datsyuk?

Larionov is already in, so that's 4 as of right now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-23-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
When the dust all settles, it will be really interesting to see just how many Red Wings from the 2002 Cup winning team make it into the Hall of Fame. Lidstrom, Hasek, Chelios, and Shanahan for certain. Fedorov as well. Datsyuk?

Larionov is already in, so that's 4 as of right now.

Osgood would be another one but alas, he was not with the Wings there for a couple of years. I most certainly see the names you mentioned above as being sure-fire HOF'ers.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't like the Red Wings one bit, but Stevie Y was definitely a class act and one of the best players of all time.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Is the Red Wing fan circle jerk over yet?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

No. Give me a couple seconds.

Hmmm..Ok, it might be done now.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Mayhaps, we need to include this:

Perfect cap to a nearly perfect career for Yzerman | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Perfect cap to a nearly perfect career for Yzerman

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

"The team you start with is always the team you feel you belong to."

-- Luc Robitaille, who played for four NHL teams, upon his election into the Hockey Hall of Fame

Steve Yzerman got the call from the Hall of Fame when he was at Joe Louis Arena. None of this was surprising. Of course he made the hall. Of course he was at the Joe, the building where he has worked for 26 years. Of course, of course, of course.

There have been better players. Yzerman never won a Hart Trophy as NHL MVP and only once made the All-NHL first team (for years, he was stuck behind Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux).

But I don't think anybody ever had a more perfect career. Athletes sometimes talk about fulfilling their dreams, but if you are a Red Wings fan, the beauty of Steve Yzerman is that he fulfilled your dreams.

Of the top 12 scorers in NHL history, only Yzerman and Lemieux played their entire careers in one city. And Lemieux retired for three years in the middle of his career because of Hodgkin's disease.

Yzerman was drafted in 1983 and retired in 2006. In that time, the NHL expanded rapidly, player salaries grew exponentially, and labor disputes canceled one season and sliced another in half.

Sports are more popular than ever, but it is hard to find anything in sports that you love without reservation.

Stevie Y was the exception.

Yzerman came to Detroit in 1983 and never left. He began his Wings career as a scoring phenom, and he just rose from there: He resurrected a dormant franchise, ended one of the longest championship droughts in his sport, and won the Stanley Cup three times.

His last Cup, in 2002, said the most about Yzerman's career: On a team with at least nine Hall of Famers, he was the unquestioned leader. He won an Olympic gold medal that winter and the Stanley Cup that spring, despite a knee injury that made it painful to walk.

Yzerman was admired for what he did on the ice. He was beloved because of what he didn't do off the ice.

He never had an ugly, protracted holdout. He was never traded and never asked to be traded. He never begged out of a game because of fractured pride over his contract. He never called his owner a name or shoved a reporter.

The pivot point of his career came in October 1995. Yzerman was 30 years old. He already had been a Wing for 12 years, and the previous June, he had led the Wings to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time.
But the Wings had been swept in those finals, and now coach Scotty Bowman was shopping him. Yzerman had to ask the Wings what was happening, instead of them telling him, which irritated him. He had to confirm reports of a likely deal with Ottawa himself, and that must have irritated him, too.

"There's no question a deal is pending," Yzerman said then. "Whether it happens or not, no one knows for certain. ... It could happen today. It could happen tomorrow. It could happen a month from now. It could happen at the trade deadline."

He made it clear that he wanted to be a Wing, and he wanted to win, and he wanted the situation to be resolved as soon as possible. But his most telling comment was this:

"I make a lot of money. The worst thing that can happen is I'm going to go somewhere else and play."

Steve Yzerman knew how lucky he was. He was never going to complain publicly about his job. He knew nobody wanted to hear it.

When Yzerman was introduced before the home opener, the crowd gave him an enormous ovation. Bowman was heartily booed. From that moment on, there was never a doubt: Steve Yzerman would always be a Red Wing.

In time, people came to see him as some sort of angel. But I don't think Yzerman ever has sold himself that way. He just thought of himself as a hockey player. And that, of course, is why he is so popular.

How did he feel when he got the call?

"I'm very grateful for the honor," Yzerman said, as though the honor were his.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I was in Buffalo the night Yzerman got his 1000th point and I remember the night vividly. The Sabres were in the middle of their high flying era with Mogilny and LaFontaine and the game was a back and forth affair that they ended up winning 10-7.

Still, the biggest ovation of the night was when it was announced that Yzerman got his 1000th point. That's respect - something that Yzerman earned with pretty much every hockey fan. I don't know if I've ever heard one negative word uttered about him.

To this day, I still wear #19 for every sport team I'm a part of because of Stevie Y. He was everything a hockey player or a sportsman should be.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Thanks HB for the article. I grew up with Stevie Y as my sports idol. I remember hating Gretzky because his teams always beat Detroit, and he always won the awards while Yzerman was left out.

Especially in the second half of his career, Yzerman became a role model on and off the ice. One of the biggest contributions he made was learning how to play at both ends of the ice, something Gretzky never did. His numbers suffered because of it, but it made him a better overall player and is a large part of why the Wings won those 3 cups during his career.

Hats off to you, Steve, for being the great leader on and off the ice for the best franchise in pro sports.

Quote: