Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

And the Oscar nom goes to....

And the oscar nom goes to 5 more films for best picture! We will have 10 nominees for best picture at the next Oscar celebration. Holy Schnikey! I am starting a campaign now.

Star Trek for best Picture!!

ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Transformers.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Basically it is like going back to the 30s and early 40s in terms of how Oscar works for Best Picture.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

But we'll still have a Best Director category to narrow it down to three or four right away, right?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

10 movies, 9 of which will be critically acclaimed and suck really bad.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I think Best Director is still at 5, they have never gone over that at any time in their history.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
10 movies, 9 of which will be critically acclaimed and suck really bad.

I think they can still do 10 of 10 in the "suck really bad" category

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

what year have all of them sucked.? I can't think of any year that was the case.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You need 10 films so you can represent 1 of each of the following film types

1. Mentally challenged central figure
2. Homosexual rights or story
3. Victorian Era
4. Musical
5. Foreign film
6. Indie
7. Female director
8. Posthumous
9. Global Warming
10. "I guess we should finally give this guy something"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
what year have all of them sucked.? I can't think of any year that was the case.

I went back to look at past nominees, the worst one (for me) that I could find was 1998. Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth, Life is Beautiful, The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan. Saving Private Ryan was the only one I like. Thin Red LIne I didn't even make it through and didn't care about the others.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

"Shakespeare in Love" was an awesome movie (especially for those of us who like Shakespeare... lot of in jokes). "Elizabeth" was quite good as well. I also like "The Thin Red Line", but it definitely is more philosophical about war than "Saving Private Ryan".

I need to see "Life is Beautiful".
Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I went back to look at past nominees, the worst one (for me) that I could find was 1998. Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth, Life is Beautiful, The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan. Saving Private Ryan was the only one I like. Thin Red LIne I didn't even make it through and didn't care about the others.

That is kinda my point, even if you don't like several of the nomminees of a certain year. There is not one year where I have seen multiple best pic nominees have Inot liked at least one of them. There are some wonderful films that got nominated. I have seen 2 of the films from 1998 Elizabeth and SPR but both were very good (SPR I consider to be one of the best movies from the 90s) people forget that things like Shawshank Redemption, Wizard of Oz, The Towering Inferno, and Goodfellas are all nominees. Sure I have some I disagree with. But they at least pick decent films a lot of times.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You need 10 films so you can represent 1 of each of the following film types

1. Mentally challenged central figure
2. Homosexual rights or story
3. Victorian Era
4. Musical
5. Foreign film
6. Indie
7. Female director
8. Posthumous
9. Global Warming
10. "I guess we should finally give this guy something"

Other than Global Warming (really, how often are there movies about that)- I think you pretty much nailed the best picture categories

You could have added "Gritty Period/Historical Piece" and grabbed another swath of movies (From the last four years: Frost/Nixon, Letters from Iwo Jima, Good Night and Good Luck, Munich) as well as "Overacted Biographical Movie"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Wasn't Closer a best picture nominee one year? Outside of Natalie Portman in a thong I can't think of one positive quality of that film.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You remember incorrectly:

Closer (2004/I) - Awards

Closer only had nominations for Best Actor (Clive Owen) and Best Actress (Natalie Portman)

Maybe your confusion is because it DID get nominated in the Golden Globes for Best Drama that year.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-25-2009 at 08:31 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Other than Global Warming (really, how often are there movies about that)- I think you pretty much nailed the best picture categories

I couldn't think of anything else.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
I couldn't think of anything else.

Quirky underdog fights the system (Erin Brockovich, the Insider, any of those coal mine movies)
Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
Quirky underdog fights the system (Erin Brockovich, the Insider, any of those coal mine movies)

Ahh.. good one. Fits Norma Rae too.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #19
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Well, don't forget popular big budget spectacle (Forrest Gump, Titanic, all Lord of the Rings).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #20
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Crazy talk. Thin Red Line was the only one of those that I disliked. Saving Private Ryan and Shakespeare in Love were incredible films.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #21
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:

Did you see Life is Beautiful? It was really, really good.

Never saw Elizabeth or Thin Red Line, but Shakespeare in love was good and Saving Private Ryan wasn't that bad.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Never saw Elizabeth or Thin Red Line, but Shakespeare in love was good and Saving Private Ryan wasn't that bad.

I need to clarify my statement. I realize that those movies were probably good/great to a large segment of the population, but for me, Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan were the only movies I saw (or cared to see) out of that group in 1998 so, that was why the year 'sucked' for me. Sucked not that the movies sucked, but rather that the genres/types of movies didn't grab my interest to even see. 1000 people out of a 1000 could say that a movie was great, but if what I know about the content doesn't interest me, it is very doubtful I'll watch it.

Last edited by Mustang : 06-25-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's not like they can predict each individual's idea of movies that don't interest that particular individual . Therefore I think the question of "which year did all the movies suck" is more of a general population question than an individualized one.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-25-2009 at 02:44 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote