Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #751
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It would help if the GOP nominee had more personality than Gregg or Kirk.

Yeah, I wasn't saying them per say, just their style. Both are very intelligent and knowledgeable about world issues. They have some conservative beliefs, especially on spending, but are not in the stone age on some social issues.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-15-2009 at 05:41 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #752
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Nice thing about Biden...he's never met a foot his mouth didn't like.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #753
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Considering what basic science considered undeniable facts 100 years ago, I'd say "no problem."

In 20 years an entire generation will have come of age that considers Twitter, touch-screen computers, SmartPhones, stem cell research, and hybrid cars "old tech". In this environment, if folks like Palin and Jindal still believe then what they believe now, they'll be cast as hopelessly out of date. Perhaps even more so than McCain was this last time around.

Quote:
It would help if the GOP nominee had more personality than Gregg or Kirk.

You're both right. Slap some charisma on either of these guys and you've got your competitive GOP national candidate.

It's worth noting (especially as I live in Kirk's district) that he's only "re-won" his seat, having it essentially initially "given" to him by Porter. He's clearly inoffensive enough to win re-election numerous times in what's basically a 50/50 district, but I don't know if he has the charisma to go out and win something. But I guess we'll find out if he really does go for Burris' senate seat in 2010.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #754
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Nice thing about Biden...he's never met a foot his mouth didn't like.

If that were Bush the press would have been gushing about how "that's the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with."
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #755
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
In 20 years an entire generation will have come of age that considers Twitter, touch-screen computers, SmartPhones, stem cell research, and hybrid cars "old tech". In this environment, if folks like Palin and Jindal still believe then what they believe now, they'll be cast as hopelessly out of date. Perhaps even more so than McCain was this last time around.
Even more important is that an entire generation is growing up believing in evolution, abstinence education is a joke, and that gay people aren't really a big deal. They have been losing the young vote since 1992 and seeing bigger gaps every election in women and minorities. They're losing in college educated voters now too.

You just can't lose generation after generation of voters as yours die off. I want to see a competitive Republican party badly, but the way they are positioning themselves seems retarded. I think what Steele said in the GQ article the other day is the way to go. Sure it'll upset heavily conservative people, but they aren't winning them any elections on their own.

Quote:
It's worth noting (especially as I live in Kirk's district) that he's only "re-won" his seat, having it essentially initially "given" to him by Porter. He's clearly inoffensive enough to win re-election numerous times in what's basically a 50/50 district, but I don't know if he has the charisma to go out and win something. But I guess we'll find out if he really does go for Burris' senate seat in 2010.
I used to live there and my whole family is in that district. It's actually a Democratic district when it comes to Presidential elections. Kirk is fairly moderate on a lot of issues (environment especially) which has helped him keep his seat. He beat a heavily funded opponent this past November who was constantly being endorsed by Obama. I think Seals would make a solid Senator and he would probably get my vote.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #756
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeap.

And the number of true Christians is dropping in the U.S.

Survey: Percentage of Christians in U.S. drops | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #757
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Even more important is that an entire generation is growing up believing in evolution, abstinence education is a joke, and that gay people aren't really a big deal. They have been losing the young vote since 1992 and seeing bigger gaps every election in women and minorities. They're losing in college educated voters now too.

You just can't lose generation after generation of voters as yours die off. I want to see a competitive Republican party badly, but the way they are positioning themselves seems retarded. I think what Steele said in the GQ article the other day is the way to go. Sure it'll upset heavily conservative people, but they aren't winning them any elections on their own.

They also have to lighten up on the Reagan worship. Nobody under 40 voted for Reagan and nobody under 30 has much of a memory of Reagan. As long as the party keeps looking backward for inspiration they'll have trouble.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #758
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
They also have to lighten up on the Reagan worship. Nobody under 40 voted for Reagan and nobody under 30 has much of a memory of Reagan. As long as the party keeps looking backward for inspiration they'll have trouble.

Lincoln and JFK called and said hi.

Blinders much?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #759
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What contemporary candidate has run on a Lincoln or JFK platform the way every GOP candidate is forced to run on a Reagan platform? As I see it there are two major problems. One, the Reagan held up by many current GOP types isn't the real Reagan that raised taxes to curb the deficit and shore up Social Security, negotiated with our most feared enemy when it seemed prudent and had close personal relationships with some of his political opposition. Two, the specifics of Reagan's policies were for a certain era and don't always translate as the solution to every problem. Even in his most widely quoted statement there was an important qualifier:

Quote:
In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

It's fine to see him as a great leader of the party and an ideological inspiration, but constantly saying Reagan, Reagan, Reagan as the answer to every problem sure as hell won't stop the hemorrhaging of younger voters.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #760
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
If that were Bush the press would have been gushing about how "that's the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with."

hahahahahaha! Wait! You're serious?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #761
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Yeap.

And the number of true Christians is dropping in the U.S.

Survey: Percentage of Christians in U.S. drops | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader

If past history is any indication, just means we're overdue for a major religious revival of some kind. In the U.S., the pendulum has always swung between periods of rampant materialism/hedonism and religious revival/fervor.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #762
Flasch186
Coordinator

I actually agree for once....could be muslim though theyre on the upswing for your next revival.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #763
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Don't sleep on the Wiccans, whatever the hell they believe.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #764
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really peeved about the news story today regarding Obama's attempt to privatize coverage of veterans.

The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment - Yahoo! News

I'm not opposed to Obama's health care change possibilities (cover more people) if he really can find a economic and smart way to do it. But I'm dead set that if ANYBODY deserves full goverment health care coverage, it's the military vets. Anyone who is willing to put life and limb on the line for our country has to be backed up in the knowledge that this country will cover their health insurance. Anything less is simply unacceptable.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #765
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Really peeved about the news story today regarding Obama's attempt to privatize coverage of veterans.

The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment - Yahoo! News

I'm not opposed to Obama's health care change possibilities (cover more people) if he really can find a economic and smart way to do it. But I'm dead set that if ANYBODY deserves full goverment health care coverage, it's the military vets. Anyone who is willing to put life and limb on the line for our country has to be backed up in the knowledge that this country will cover their health insurance. Anything less is simply unacceptable.

Sure, we should continue to give them free, shitty care!

In all seriousness, they do deserve better health care and I severely hope the new administration rights the last one's wrongs on this issue.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #766
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If anybody deserves good healthcare it's vets. Bush & co. really did a fucking number on vets healthcare - I don't know the details of this plan of Obama's, but I hope this administration can fix the problems.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #767
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
If anybody deserves good healthcare it's vets. Bush & co. really did a fucking number on vets healthcare - I don't know the details of this plan of Obama's, but I hope this administration can fix the problems.

Sure, everyone has the 'hope' that they'll fix it. But actually implementing any fix is a large hill of beans that could give the government health care system a case of financial flatulence for years to come.

I've worked as a contractor for the federal government overseeing the IT arm of the health care regulating systems a couple of years ago. The changes that are needed to truly 'fix' the system are much more than any administration would ever dare take on. Sad but true. As a result, we get each administration doing some minor tinkering which usually ends up compounding the issues and often making things worse.

I still don't get why people continue to make this a partisan discussion when the real discussion should be whether or not the change is actually a change for the better, regardless of party.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-17-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #768
Flasch186
Coordinator

It was a shame that a soldier's dad had to expose the problems at Walter Reed via homevideo cam before Bush and co. addressed the issue. That was such a shameful night for us as a whole.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #769
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I still don't get why people continue to make this a partisan discussion when the real discussion should be whether or not the change is actually a change for the better, regardless of party.

I'm just a lurker in this thread for the most part, but seriously, you're the one making this a partison issue. He said, "If anybody deserves good healthcare it's vets. Bush & co. really did a fucking number on vets healthcare - I don't know the details of this plan of Obama's, but I hope this administration can fix the problems."

What is partisan about that? Please tell me. He said that Bush screwed a number of vets on healthcare and that he hopes this administration can fix things. Get off your high horse and actually read what people are saying.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #770
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, I read the article, and unfortunately it doesn't explain why (aside from the obvious cost savings) one would want to require private insurance companies to pay for Veterans' care. I mean, aren't most private health insurance policies basically void as soon as you go off to war?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #771
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So, I read the article, and unfortunately it doesn't explain why (aside from the obvious cost savings) one would want to require private insurance companies to pay for Veterans' care. I mean, aren't most private health insurance policies basically void as soon as you go off to war?

The result would be a significant change in how premiums are handled.

If private health care is to shoulder the load, they would have to charge huge premiums for these people for the obvious reasons. As a result, the most likely scenario is that the government would end up paying those premiums because the soldiers couldn't afford it and we could easily end up with a bigger payout from a premium standpoint than if we would have just left it alone in the first place.

I don't think that the current options are great, but this 'change' isn't any better.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #772
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I'm just a lurker in this thread for the most part, but seriously, you're the one making this a partison issue. He said, "If anybody deserves good healthcare it's vets. Bush & co. really did a fucking number on vets healthcare - I don't know the details of this plan of Obama's, but I hope this administration can fix the problems."

What is partisan about that? Please tell me. He said that Bush screwed a number of vets on healthcare and that he hopes this administration can fix things. Get off your high horse and actually read what people are saying.

It's the same old song and dance. Rather than addressing the core issue of whether Obama's change is an improvement, the usual stab is taken at Bush to divert attention from the issue. We get it already. Dubya made some mistakes and people on both sides of the issue know that. But on the topic at hand (from the current baseline, is Obama's change good) has little to do with the previous administration. History cannot be reversed, but current proposals need to be judged on their merit given the current circumstances. Partisan shots at previous administrations are distractions from the topic and little else.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #773
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I for one distinctly remember MBBF carrying the torch for veterans during their struggles the last eight years. Dammit guys, why do you have to drag him into your partisan squabbling.

As far as the subject at hand, the idea seems like a bad one and toxic politically. I've tried to find more about it, but haven't come up with anything beyond what MSNBC reported.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #774
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I for one distinctly remember MBBF carrying the torch for veterans during their struggles the last eight years. Dammit guys, why do you have to drag him into your partisan squabbling.

As far as the subject at hand, the idea seems like a bad one and toxic politically. I've tried to find more about it, but haven't come up with anything beyond what MSNBC reported.

Well, at least I got someone to respond to the topic at hand (albeit with the mandatory shot at me which ALSO has nothing to do with the topic at hand). It's a positive step!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #775
Flasch186
Coordinator

As an aside Im sure Obama will bomb on Leno on Thursday without his teleprompters.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #776
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well, at least I got someone to respond to the topic at hand (albeit with the mandatory shot at me which ALSO has nothing to do with the topic at hand). It's a positive step!

If you don't see the irony in the way you post and the fact that you immediately decry partisanship leaking into debates, then I've got nothing for you.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #777
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
If you don't see the irony in the way you post and the fact that you immediately decry partisanship leaking into debates, then I've got nothing for you.

I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say, we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #778
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say, we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration.

What the hell? No one questioned your patriotism. This is one of the dumbest posts you've made on this board.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #779
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't do quotes in sigs. And in 20 years, I doubt there will be internet message board sigs or they'll be quaint little things like IRC chat rooms or Usenet where people remember them but very few still use them, proportionally, but, man- this would be gold

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #780
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's the same old song and dance. Rather than addressing the core issue of whether Obama's change is an improvement, the usual stab is taken at Bush to divert attention from the issue. We get it already. Dubya made some mistakes and people on both sides of the issue know that. But on the topic at hand (from the current baseline, is Obama's change good) has little to do with the previous administration. History cannot be reversed, but current proposals need to be judged on their merit given the current circumstances. Partisan shots at previous administrations are distractions from the topic and little else.

Let's see you post an American Legion press release as news, which you likely learned from any of a hundred conservative blogs that are running with this press release today, and it's someone else's fault for being partisan?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #781
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree! doesnt mean youre arent wrong though especially when you fib on stats and polls or pull crap out of blogs.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-17-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #782
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What the hell? No one questioned your patriotism. This is one of the dumbest posts you've made on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't do quotes in sigs. And in 20 years, I doubt there will be internet message board sigs or they'll be quaint little things like IRC chat rooms or Usenet where people remember them but very few still use them, proportionally, but, man- this would be gold

SI

I'd agree. I'd even further argue that this comment was gold when it was originally uttered six years ago on April 29, 2003...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Dem. Senator Hillary Clinton in 2003 View Post

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecov...003/4/29/85003
Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #783
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

What are you even talking about at this point? What does that quote have to do with what I was saying?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #784
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd agree. I'd even further argue that this comment was gold when it was originally uttered six years ago on April 29, 2003...........

What's your point? Did Hilary Clinton call someone unpatriotic for questioning the current administration?

I said your statement is dumb because it had nothing to do with the thread. No one questioned your patriotism. So what the hell are you talking about?

It seems like you've really gone off the deep end.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #785
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Let's see you post an American Legion press release as news, which you likely learned from any of a hundred conservative blogs that are running with this press release today, and it's someone else's fault for being partisan?

This story was addressed on more than one of the major news outlets and is a big topic today to the point where President Obama is expected to address the issue. Should you choose to, you could conceivably minimize every current event worthy of discussion because a big news story is going to be on a political blog somewhere 100% of the time. It's a very weak attempt to deflect what is obviously a very important topic. Whether you want to engage in the discussion or just sidebar it is totally up to you.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #786
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You are trying to make your sidebar the discussion, MBBF.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #787
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This story was addressed on more than one of the major news outlets and is a big topic today to the point where President Obama is expected to address the issue. Should you choose to, you could conceivably minimize every current event worthy of discussion because a big news story is going to be on a political blog somewhere 100% of the time. It's a very weak attempt to deflect what is obviously a very important topic. Whether you want to engage in the discussion or just sidebar it is totally up to you.

You didn't post a news story, you posted a press release. If you wanted a non-partisan discussion you should have avoided a press release from an organization generally hostile to Democrats. Would you see it as a fair effort to start discussion if I posted an ACLU press release blasting John McCain?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #788
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What's your point? Did Hilary Clinton call someone unpatriotic for questioning the current administration?

I said your statement is dumb because it had nothing to do with the thread. No one questioned your patriotism. So what the hell are you talking about?

It seems like you've really gone off the deep end.

Not really. Everyone fully knows that this is a left leaning board/thread by a heavy margin. All I'm asking for is a legitimate discussion of the topic at hand. Snipes are certainly par for the course, but they don't add much other than giggles.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #789
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

The pretty obvious difference between now and then is that people WERE saying that it was unpatriotic to question the administration then. Whereas, here, in this thread, no one has made that claim.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #790
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

MBBF, You misinterpret me. I think it's patriotic to question my leaders, even in a time of strife. Part of what makes this Democracy great is the freedom to do that without fear of being sent to Siberia or an internment camp or spied on by my own government. That's why I liked your quote

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-17-2009 at 02:31 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #791
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You are trying to make your sidebar the discussion, MBBF.

Great. Then address the proposed budget idea regardless of which story or release I put up. You can post the story from whichever source you choose. Do you think it's a good idea to privatize veteran health care?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #792
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I love the "everyone fully knows".

Everyone fully knows that Chase Daniels will be a Pro Bowl quarterback.

Everyone fully knows that PS3 is a victim of Wii media bias.

Everyone fully knows that the KC Penguins will hoist Lord Stanley's Cup.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #793
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
MBBF, You misinterpret me. I think it's patriotic to question my leaders, even in a time of strife. It's part of what makes a Democracy great is my ability to do that without fear of being sent to Kansas or an internment camp or spied on by my own government. That's why I liked your quote

SI

Fixed your quote.

And yes, I misinterpreted your point. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #794
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Not really. Everyone fully knows that this is a left leaning board/thread by a heavy margin. All I'm asking for is a legitimate discussion of the topic at hand. Snipes are certainly par for the course, but they don't add much other than giggles.

Again, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. What does patriotism have to do with this thread? No one in here said you were unpatriotic. I think most of the posters here agree 100% with the Hilary Clinton quote you provided. We just fail to see that the hell it has to do with this discussion.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #795
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Great. Then address the proposed budget idea regardless of which story or release I put up. You can post the story from whichever source you choose. Do you think it's a good idea to privatize veteran health care?

Stop infringing on my civil rights. It adds nothing to the discussion, and is willful ignorance at best.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #796
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It's a left leaning country these days, not necessarily a message board thing.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #797
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I love the "everyone fully knows".

Everyone fully knows that Chase Daniels will be a Pro Bowl quarterback.

Everyone fully knows that PS3 is a victim of Wii media bias.

Everyone fully knows that the KC Penguins will hoist Lord Stanley's Cup.

And everyone knows that JPhillips couldn't directly address a topic if his life depended on it.

You've put more effort in failing to address the topic than if you would have just made an attempt to say 'it's a good idea' or 'it's a lousy idea'. You obviously were on a high school debate team.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #798
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Can we please keep the discussion focused on how much Obama sucks without injecting partisanship into things?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #799
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
The result would be a significant change in how premiums are handled.

If private health care is to shoulder the load, they would have to charge huge premiums for these people for the obvious reasons. As a result, the most likely scenario is that the government would end up paying those premiums because the soldiers couldn't afford it and we could easily end up with a bigger payout from a premium standpoint than if we would have just left it alone in the first place.

I don't think that the current options are great, but this 'change' isn't any better.

But hasn't the complaint been about the level of care, rather than the cost of it? If the government ends up paying these premiums, then that's fine, since they were paying directly for care anyway. It seems like this is a step toward giving veterans more 'normal' care than one run by an underfunded VA -- or at least giving the VA better funding through private insurance premiums, if the government won't fund it properly.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #800
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's a left leaning country these days, not necessarily a message board thing.

Wait, you were serious?