Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #851
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That 90% tax bill is going to surely cause some unintended problems sooner or later.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #852
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
That 90% tax bill is going to surely cause some unintended problems sooner or later.

Like the fact that it's 100% unconstitutional? The whole government is now just making stuff up. It's unbelievable. That piece of paper means squat now.

Last edited by rowech : 03-20-2009 at 05:15 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #853
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Well, last night's interview proved why Mr. Obama needs a teleprompter at all times. I doubt he'll be on many talk shows going forward and he'll rarely be without his teleprompter.

I have a young relative who is mentally disabled and participates in Special Olympics. I'll say it because my nephew isn't able to say it. Fuck you Obama. Fuck you.

I can see it coming already. Obama will create a nice little PR appearance where he bowls somewhere with some kids from Special Olympics and then makes a joke noting that disabled people bowl better than him. This just in......that doesn't change what you've already said. Disable people can do anything they want to do. You fucked up.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #854
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Meaning they respect the rights of the states to make the decision. Meaning there is no need for a federal drug policy. What am I missing with my logic?

The most obvious missing piece to that I think would be that states haven't had the right to decide much of anything in decades. That's something that exists in name only, or more accurately whenever the feds decide they aren't in the mood.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #855
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
He and his administration need to quit acting like everything is on internet time and actually think about each actions.

A function of his age and the reality that a significant portion of his fan base has the attention span of a fruit fly. Plus there's that whole messiah thing, which brings certain expectations of immediacy.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #856
Jas_lov
College Starter

I thought it was a great joke. As John McCain once said, some people just need to lighten up and get a life. The way Obama looked bowling, maybe he does belong in the special olympics.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #857
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I thought it was a great joke. As John McCain once said, some people just need to lighten up and get a life. The way Obama looked bowling, maybe he does belong in the special olympics.

Yes, because there's no good bowlers in the Special Olympics, right? Because they're disabled in some ways, they can't bowl any better than Obama, right?

Check your ignorance at the door and actually attend a Special Olympics event. You might actually learn something about what motivated disabled people can achieve. Their effort in their endeavors even with their disabilities often dwarfs the efforts of lazy people who have no excuse for their lack of effort.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #858
rowech
Pro Starter

Dude needs to perhaps start acting like a president and not a celebrity. Make your choice. Leno, ESPN, signing book deals or do your f-ing job.

I can't believe we elected this guy and unfortunately, the Republicans are entirely to blame.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #859
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Dude needs to perhaps start acting like a president and not a celebrity. Make your choice. Leno, ESPN, signing book deals or do your f-ing job.

I can't believe we elected this guy and unfortunately, the Republicans are entirely to blame.

That's pretty stupid. He's been pretty active as a President. In fact, he's even been criticized in this thread for acting too quickly. What planet are you living on where he's not doing his job?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2009 at 07:56 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #860
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
That's pretty stupid. He's been pretty active as a President. In fact, he's even been criticized in this thread for acting too quickly. What planet are you living on where he's not doing his job?

Being active doesn't equate with doing his job. My dog chases his tail for a half an hour. He's active, but I'm not sure he's getting much done.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #861
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
He's active, but I'm not sure he's getting much done.

Heh. Not bad.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #862
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Being active doesn't equate with doing his job. My dog chases his tail for a half an hour. He's active, but I'm not sure he's getting much done.

Do you really think he's not getting anything done? Seriously? That's the argument you're going with? I mean, I could understand people not liking what he has done, but to say he's not getting anything done is ignoring reality.

But you know, I heard he ate lunch yesterday. Surely, the economy is more important than a club sandwich. Why is he eating lunch?!!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #863
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Do you really think he's not getting anything done? Seriously? That's the argument you're going with? I mean, I could understand people not liking what he has done, but to say he's not getting anything done is ignoring reality.

But you know, I heard he ate lunch yesterday. Surely, the economy is more important than a club sandwich. Why is he eating lunch?!!

I've said that I like his move to roll back the stem cell research (mostly because I know people who could benefit from it, hence my reaction to the Special Olympics comment). But his economic policies, including the stimulus packages have been brutal at best. The economy is slowly improving, but owes little to the administration's policies in regards to that improvement.

I agree with you that the 24/7 expectation of work from the President is silly at best. All I ask is that he doesn't insult disabled Americans on national television in his spare time.

By the way, I hope the Kennedy family publicly hammers Obama for this comment about the Special Olympics. It's a travesty that their mother's achievements would be minimized by a sitting president given all that she's done for disabled individuals.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-20-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #864
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've said that I like his move to roll back the stem cell research (mostly because I know people who could benefit from it, hence my reaction to the Special Olympics comment). But his economic policies, including the stimulus packages have been brutal at best. The economy is slowly improving, but owes little to the administration's policies in regards to that improvement.

I agree with you that the 24/7 expectation of work from the President is silly at best. All I ask is that he doesn't insult disabled Americans on national television in his spare time.

By the way, I hope the Kennedy family publicly hammers Obama for this comment about the Special Olympics. It's a travesty that their mother's achievements would be minimized by a sitting president given all that she's done for disabled individuals.

there are no quick fixes for the economy though. for all we know the administration has actually staved off the economy getting even worse.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #865
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
there are no quick fixes for the economy though. for all we know the administration has actually staved off the economy getting even worse.

Absolutely correct that there are no quick fixes. If anything, the events of the past week or two just prove how short-sighted it can be to hand out money without proper regulation as this administration has done. I don't have a problem with a stimulus bill when done correctly.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-20-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #866
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

But they couldn't be brutal unless he was "doing something", right?

Quote:

So after getting your stupid dog joke out of the way, you now agree with my original point, but quickly switch to another line of criticism. Congratulations. You're ready for the internets.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #867
larrymcg421
Head Coach

dola

Just to be clear, I'm not happy with the Special Olympics joke, either. That's really disappointing.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #868
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Absolutely correct that there are no quick fixes. If anything, the events of the past week or two just prove how short-sighted it can be to hand out money without proper regulation as this administration has done. I don't have a problem with a stimulus bill when done correctly.

and the past administration did as well...for all the whining about the AIG bonuses (which are ridiculous) and total what...165 MILLION, everyone seems to have forgotten about the 350 BILLION under Paulson that's just dissapeared onto the banks balance sheets and who knows where else
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #869
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
dola

Just to be clear, I'm not happy with the Special Olympics joke, either. That's really disappointing.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #870
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But they couldn't be brutal unless he was "doing something", right?

So after getting your stupid dog joke out of the way, you now agree with my original point, but quickly switch to another line of criticism. Congratulations. You're ready for the internets.

Well, if your only point truly was that he was doing something, regardless of quality, then I suppose you're correct that I agree.

Sorry about lumping two topics into your response. I'm pretty pissed off about his comment right now.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #871
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
and the past administration did as well...for all the whining about the AIG bonuses (which are ridiculous) and total what...165 MILLION, everyone seems to have forgotten about the 350 BILLION under Paulson that's just dissapeared onto the banks balance sheets and who knows where else

How many times do I have to state this? I was the one bitching about that stimulus bill as well on this very board. If this was a thread about Bush, I'd be stating it again. But it's not. For all the willingness to focus on Obama's presidency, there's certainly a lot of people who are more interested in saying he's better or equal to Bush every time a criticism of Obama's administration is put out there. Weren't the Democrats the ones not long ago who stated that wasn't exactly a high bar to leap?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #872
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, if your only point truly was that he was doing something, regardless of quality, then I suppose you're correct that I agree.

My point is that we may disagree on the quality of what he's done, but it's silly to say he hasn't done anything, and it's silly to criticize him for filling out a bracket or appearing on a talk show as if it somehow impedes him from doing his job.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #873
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Like the fact that it's 100% unconstitutional? The whole government is now just making stuff up. It's unbelievable. That piece of paper means squat now.

It's been a gradual decline and certainly didn't start last week.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #874
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How many times do I have to state this? I was the one bitching about that stimulus bill as well on this very board. If this was a thread about Bush, I'd be stating it again. But it's not. For all the willingness to focus on Obama's presidency, there's certainly a lot of people who are more interested in saying he's better or equal to Bush every time a criticism of Obama's administration is put out there. Weren't the Democrats the ones not long ago who stated that wasn't exactly a high bar to leap?

fair enough. i just think it's intellectually disingenuous to seperate one reaction from the other for the purposes of criticism when they have been essentially the same.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #875
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
fair enough. i just think it's intellectually disingenuous to seperate one reaction from the other for the purposes of criticism when they have been essentially the same.

The thread is about Obama. If you would like to start a thread where we list the failures of the past administration, I'd be happy to join in and provide my list.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #876
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm not sure that it's unconstitutional. What section does it violate?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #877
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
dola

Yeah, it was.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #878
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Putting aside my personal feelings, last night's comment on Leno by Obama does affect the political landscape for the upcoming election. Whether you like her or not, Obama just provided Sarah Palin with a huge board in her platform after the Special Olympics comment. She'll be able to deliver speeches similar to this one while taking a pretty heavy stab at Obama.

YouTube - Governor Palin's Address To The 2009 Special Olympics In Boise, Idaho

I doubt she'll emerge from the primaries, but Obama virtually guaranteed with his comments that we'll be hearing from Palin again at some point in time.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #879
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yes, that is all you ever ask

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2009 at 09:21 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #880
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yes, that is all you ever ask

SI

Perhaps I'm asking too much of the current President. You may be right.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #881
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That Special Olympics joke was really a WTF moment, but really, not a big deal. Let's deal with important stuff, like Geithner being a joke of a Treasury Secretary so far .
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #882
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Putting aside my personal feelings, last night's comment on Leno by Obama does affect the political landscape for the upcoming election. Whether you like her or not, Obama just provided Sarah Palin with a huge board in her platform after the Special Olympics comment. She'll be able to deliver speeches similar to this one while taking a pretty heavy stab at Obama.

YouTube - Governor Palin's Address To The 2009 Special Olympics In Boise, Idaho

I doubt she'll emerge from the primaries, but Obama virtually guaranteed with his comments that we'll be hearing from Palin again at some point in time.

What block of voters does Palin get that she wouldn't have already? Sure, she'll have a good line or two, but demographically I just can't see how she substantially increases her coalition just because of Obama's dumb comment.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #883
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What block of voters does Palin get that she wouldn't have already? Sure, she'll have a good line or two, but demographically I just can't see how she substantially increases her coalition just because of Obama's dumb comment.

Oh, I agree. I don't think it will increase her chances any. I just think it guarantees that we'll have to hear from her again at some point.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #884
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I must be a f'n psychic. From Good Morning America this morning........

Quote:
Obama wants to have some Special Olympic athletes visit the White House to bowl or play basketball.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #885
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's cool though. i mean does it make it all better what he said - no it doesn't. but it's nice visibility for Special Olympics and an awesome moment for those chosen.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #886
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ok we get it you are offended...he probably wouldn't have liked to have that sentence back...give it a rest...that horse is dead.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-20-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #887
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

man the interwebs can really make a mountain out of a molehill hmm?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #888
molson
General Manager

Our president made fun of the Special Olympics on the Tonight Show.

Just a funny sentence.

What are the odds he hosts SNL during his first term? Or maybe the Academy Awards? He could be in some funny skits.

Last edited by molson : 03-20-2009 at 09:57 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #889
molson
General Manager

Quote:
man the interwebs can really make a mountain out of a molehill hmm?

At least he wasn't wearing really expensive clothes - we'd have another 500 posts to go.

Last edited by molson : 03-20-2009 at 09:56 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #890
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I saw that. The feds will only go after people in violation of both federal and state law. Meaning they respect the rights of the states to make the decision. Meaning there is no need for a federal drug policy. What am I missing with my logic?

If we're to extrapolate this decision to enforcement of other federal drug rules (which would probably be wrong to do, but anyway), a "need" for a federal drug policy would still exist for the purposes of a) speaking to cases where state drug policy is silent or doesn't apply and b) overriding state drug policy where still applicable.

In reality each Administration changes the way it enforces certain rules (not just on drug policy) and eventually has a few showdowns with states regarding differences in enforcement on various policies.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #891
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perhaps I'm asking too much of the current President. You may be right.

I think it's a fair thing to ask of a current President. I'll just make sure to remind you for a few days every time you ask for anything else since you said you don't.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2009 at 10:23 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #892
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Who cares about the special olympics joke, or the mission accomplished banner, or Sarah Palin seeing Russia, or Hilary Clinton coming under sniper fire? They are stupid comments/jokes/ideas that really mean absolutely nothing. I don't care if you know someone who is disabled it doesn't change the intent of Obama's comment. He didn't say let's abort all down's syndrome babies. Get over yourself. It is discussing bs like this while allowing the government to take control of more important parts of our lives that causes the real problems. Call him out on policy. I think he has some really bad policy, but I don't think he secretly hates all mentally retarded children. What a waste of the next 10 press cycles this bullshit is going to be.

Last edited by panerd : 03-20-2009 at 10:27 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #893
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Side story: Obama and the Democrats spend another trillion dollars. Main story: Ohio mom with down's syndrome baby has had enough!!!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #894
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This was inevitable but it was still funny.

My Way News - Special Olympics bowler: I can beat the president!
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - The top bowler for the Special Olympics looks forward to meeting President Barack Obama in an alley.

"He bowled a 129. I bowl a 300. I could beat that score easily," Michigan's Kolan McConiughey (KO-lahn Mc-KAHNA-he) told The Associated Press in an interview Friday.

The athletic-minded president made an offhand remark Thursday on "The Tonight Show" comparing his weak bowling to "the Special Olympics or something." He quickly apologized and told the Special Olympics chairman he wants to have some of its athletes visit the White House to bowl or play basketball.

McConiughey, who is mentally disabled, is just the bowler for the job. He's bowled five perfect games since 2005.

The 35-year-old McConiughey has been bowling since he was 8 or 9. His advice for Obama? Practice every day.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #895
lungs
Pro Rookie

He'd kick my ass too in bowling.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #896
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Who cares about the special olympics joke, or the mission accomplished banner, or Sarah Palin seeing Russia, or Hilary Clinton coming under sniper fire? They are stupid comments/jokes/ideas that really mean absolutely nothing. I don't care if you know someone who is disabled it doesn't change the intent of Obama's comment. He didn't say let's abort all down's syndrome babies. Get over yourself. It is discussing bs like this while allowing the government to take control of more important parts of our lives that causes the real problems. Call him out on policy. I think he has some really bad policy, but I don't think he secretly hates all mentally retarded children. What a waste of the next 10 press cycles this bullshit is going to be.

I'm glad that you think this comment is no big deal. Millions of Americans are smart enough to know that this kind of ignorance needs to be battled at all levels. Disabled people have enough people who use them as the butt of jokes. They don't need the President of the United States to provide an example of how to do that.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #897
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I cringed when I heard it. But I don't expect him to resign over it.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #898
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola --

I feel the same about race comments. People say things they shouldn't. The "first offense" if you will are teaching moments that can help others not make those same mistakes, especially public figures who ought to know better.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #899
Flasch186
Coordinator

I am disappointed by the comment and I dont have a mentally challenged child so I wont question anyone's ire who does.

That being said I do think that some will take this as their 'shot' at him even if they've been trying to find their 'shot' for a long long time. Go for it. Im sure the President's people know it's coming.

Panerd makes a much better point in all of this eventhough Im sure we'd come to different conclusions since I think that the administrations policies have resulted in more good than bad at this point, especially in their handling of the economy (AIG bonuses aside).

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-20-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #900
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think Obama will mind if they come after him for the comment. It becomes a nice distraction for him from real issues.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote