Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Smile OOTP 9 - six new screenshots released

Hey there,

in case you're interested, we've just released 6 new screenshots of OOTP 9:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...9-screens.html

Cheers,
Markus

Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nice. Fightings Drug test failings. Love it

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-15-2008 at 10:26 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Anthony
Banned

if there is drug suspensions in this game then i'm guaranteed to purchase it.

ok, bye.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Suspensions & drug suspensions are optional of course
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That seems like a large number of fights in that one screenshot.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Anthony
Banned

there is no option. these fuckers must pay for their cheating, performance enhancing ways. excellent addition to the series.

i hope you have it set so like a Brady Anderson - who hit 50 hrs in the 90's out of nowhere - is more likely to get suspended and it isn't some random thing where a .220 career hitter gets suspended for drugs. like if you see a spike in someone's stats one season that should be the guy this happens to.

this is excellent.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That seems like a large number of fights in that one screenshot.

Didn't notice that... it's pretty rare in OOTP, like in real life. Looks like this was just 'bad luck'
Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
rjolley
College Starter

Markus, how much longer do I have to preorder? (not trying to get a release date, just wondering because that's a good price to buy the game)
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
there is no option. these fuckers must pay for their cheating, performance enhancing ways. excellent addition to the series.

i hope you have it set so like a Brady Anderson - who hit 50 hrs in the 90's out of nowhere - is more likely to get suspended and it isn't some random thing where a .220 career hitter gets suspended for drugs. like if you see a spike in someone's stats one season that should be the guy this happens to.

this is excellent.

I wonder why Anderson quit using steroids if he did so well while he was on them?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Anthony
Banned

THAT is a great question.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Didn't notice that... it's pretty rare in OOTP, like in real life. Looks like this was just 'bad luck'

I know you'll never change, but with all the bugs that have come up over the years that you insisted weren't there wouldn't you want to avoid statements like this? How about, "That does seem odd, I'll take a look at it." Even if you don't do anything it at least saves you headaches if there's a problem discovered after release.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I know you'll never change, but with all the bugs that have come up over the years that you insisted weren't there wouldn't you want to avoid statements like this? How about, "That does seem odd, I'll take a look at it." Even if you don't do anything it at least saves you headaches if there's a problem discovered after release.

Thanks for the lesson. You're aware that the game is in beta, right?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the lesson. You're aware that the game is in beta, right?

I think that is his point though. Are you sure that screen shot is just an occurence of bad luck or is it indicative of a possible bug that slipped into a beta build? One response might have been, "hmm, that looks odd, I'll take a look at it to see if anything is wrong since it is still in beta." Shrug.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
I think that is his point though. Are you sure that screen shot is just an occurence of bad luck or is it indicative of a possible bug that slipped into a beta build? One response might have been, "hmm, that looks odd, I'll take a look at it to see if anything is wrong since it is still in beta." Shrug.

Exactly. I have no problem with a small bug like too many fights in a beta, but the way Markus always downplays or denies problems causes a lot of headaches for himself. I'm just surprised he hasn't learned better PR skills so as to minimize those headaches.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #15
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Exactly. I have no problem with a small bug like too many fights in a beta, but the way Markus always downplays or denies problems causes a lot of headaches for himself. I'm just surprised he hasn't learned better PR skills so as to minimize those headaches.

Guys, did I ever say that I'd NOT check the frequency after your initial post? That was the first thing I did, and it was ok, thus my comment... I probably expressed myself the wrong way, please keep in mind that english is not the language I was raised with.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #16
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Guys, did I ever say that I'd NOT check the frequency after your initial post? That was the first thing I did, and it was ok, thus my comment... I probably expressed myself the wrong way, please keep in mind that english is not the language I was raised with.

French?
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 AM   #17
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
French?

Yeah, pardon my French!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #18
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Good that you checked. It just seemed that the reply in under 2 minutes and the nature of the reply, I wasn't sure if you checked.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-16-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #19
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Good that you checked. It just seemed that the reply in under 2 minutes and the nature of the reply, I wasn't sure if you checked.

I had a test sim running, so all I had to do is quit simming and look at the test variables, took 20 seconds or so...
Old 05-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #20
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Any vague hints about a release time frame, outside of "spring"? Closer to 1 week or 5 weeks? Bump once for 1 week and twice for 5 weeks. Thanks!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-16-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #21
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Any vague hints about a release time frame, outside of "spring"? Closer to 1 week or 5 weeks? Bump once for 1 week and twice for 5 weeks. Thanks!

I wish I could say more than "Spring", but right now this is not possible... but definitely not within the next 2 weeks.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #22
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Quote:
You're aware that the game is in beta, right?

i know your post was tongue in cheek, but let him take his time. seriously.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #23
Ksyrup

He can take his time, but that time might be close to over, and I was hoping he would let on a little. And he did. That was good enough.

BTW, I'm going on vacation starting June 21st, so I hope that was excellent planning on my part.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #24
dickysty
n00b

Hey Markus,

One thing I've noticed that's been absent since 6.5 is the ability for the AI to use pinch runners in certain situtations. Currently the only time I see the AI use pinch runners is if a player had been injured.

Has this been added back in for 9?
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #25
Huckleberry
College Starter

Not in the next 2 weeks = no earlier than May 31st.

Spring = no later than June 20th, 6:07 p.m. Central DST.

So he's locked into those two parameters.

Time to start squeezing him in. After we do that we will start asking for more features. Constantly.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #26
Ksyrup

I'm satisfied with "not in the next 2 weeks." That means he's either shooting for June 1st, or closer to June 20th. I can wait; I just want to align my expectations properly, because I'm going to be trying some things with the historical sim feature that I need to prepare for.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #27
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickysty View Post
Hey Markus,

One thing I've noticed that's been absent since 6.5 is the ability for the AI to use pinch runners in certain situtations. Currently the only time I see the AI use pinch runners is if a player had been injured.

Has this been added back in for 9?

That really hasn't changed, the AI in the current version uses pinch-runners as well if the situation makes sense... maybe the frequency needs tweaking, I'll check the bug database if there is a report about it.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #28
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That really hasn't changed, the AI in the current version uses pinch-runners as well if the situation makes sense... maybe the frequency needs tweaking, I'll check the bug database if there is a report about it.

What about pinch-hitters, then? Just lost the World Series in very dramatic fashion...bottom of the 9th...down one with a couple of guys on base...2 outs...and the AI leaves the pitcher in to hit. Huh?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #29
Ksyrup

It was Micah Owings.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #30
dickysty
n00b

Quote:

Are you sure about that?

I've checked tons of box scores and played out many a games and have never seen the AI use a pinch-runner. The only exception like I said earlier is when the player at bat gets an injury.

I could be wrong but I don't think so. Thanks for replying
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:17 PM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

Question, is there going to be an MLB roster set for this version? I've never been able to get into fictional leagues and the newer versions have destroyed any semblance of creating and using accurate MLB rosters.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #32
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Question, is there going to be an MLB roster set for this version? I've never been able to get into fictional leagues and the newer versions have destroyed any semblance of creating and using accurate MLB rosters.

Yes there will be, they have said this a couple times already.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #33
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I had a test sim running, so all I had to do is quit simming and look at the test variables, took 20 seconds or so...

OK, I really don't want to be an ass here. . . but I can be good at it so what the hell.

You checked ONE test sim and everything was OK, so it's not a problem? Was this test sim set up with the same parameters of the screen shot in question? Did any of the other beta testers report a problem with this. Did you send something out to have them check this in their leagues?

Even if this were a bug, it's not a deal breaker for me, I'd just turn the fights off. But when someone brings up a concern, checking one league in under two minutes doesn't prove something. The best answer is always "I'll look into it and make sure it's not an issue before we release the game"

Back to your regularly scheduled programming
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #34
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe he has checked it several times, but hasn't felt like posting the results of every test run.

I can see why Markus only has 200+ posts in 6 years on this board, the guy doesn't do anything right to some guys it seems, including posting.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Maybe he has checked it several times, but hasn't felt like posting the results of every test run.

I can see why Markus only has 200+ posts in 6 years on this board, the guy doesn't do anything right to some guys it seems, including posting.

He replied in under 2 minutes that it wasn't a problem. It just seems like it wasn't a very through check and Markus has a history of saying there isn't a bug present when there is. So, that will cause some scrutiny of statements despite his language issues. Shrug.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-19-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #36
Huckleberry
College Starter

I'm pretty sure Markus' post claiming that it's not a bug and was only bad luck resulted from a quick check of the programming code. My theory is that it was only a surface check where he looked at the frequency with which these incidents are coded to happen. And I believe him that it's not an issue at that level.

The problem is, of course, that I would think most bugs in a game as comprehensive as OOTP arise because of interaction between different features coded into the game. So the concern is that while the top-level instructions seem reasonable it's still possible that there's something deeper and harder to find going on so that the fights really will be too frequent. And that's the kind of bug that lingers and can't possibly be checked in two minutes. Hence the concern.

I also would hope that Markus sent out a quick note asking people to check fight frequency in their beta tests.

Oh, and also of course he needs to make league prestige an editable field. But only for Ksyrup and Hell Atlantic.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He replied in under 2 minutes that it wasn't a problem. It just seems like it wasn't a very through check and Markus has a history of saying there isn't a bug present when there is. So, that will cause some scrutiny of statements despite his language issues. Shrug.

I have no problem with people ripping on 'bugs' that have been around for years. To rip on something in which not one person on here can actually claim is a bug or any type of problem because no one here has the game and the piece of evidence is one screen shot then it seems pointless to get worked up over it, IMO.

I won't say a damn thing in his defense if after the game comes out it ends up being a problem. Then there is something to actually complain about. Double shrug back at ya pal!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #38
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

I was only using his exact words. I'm sorry. I'm a person who purchased the original OOTP and with the exception of a single year, have purchased every game in the series to this point. I've been critical of the game in the past, but think last years version was pretty solid.

I'm simply pointing out to him that making a quick statement after saying he checked one league can be concerning, because there have been "bugs" in the OOTP franchise that spanned multiple versions of the game.

The internet message boards are a double edged sword for a developer. It's ALWAYS better to say soemthing like "I'm going to check on that and make sure it isn't a problem" than to post instantly after the concern is raised that you checked a test league and everything is fine. You may call it being an ass on my part and I'm fine with that assessment. Yet I can assure you that I'm not the only one who read his quick response and wondered why more wasn't done to check on it.

Like it or not, this is about PR and every posting by Markus needs to take that into account.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Yes there will be, they have said this a couple times already.
They said it last version too. Big difference in actually building rosters to go with the game and releasing them with it and giving a copy of the game to a couple dolts a couple months early who won't do shit and whine on the boards about their life looking for attention.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #40
korme
Go Reds

I'm surely this is only cosmetics so this will be ignored, but I'd love to have hats on pictures default to the first initial of the city as the hat graphic symbol, rather than a circle with 3 letters in it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #41
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm debating buying this game and folks are beginning to worry me. I'm playing with last year's demo to try and get an idea and I think the game is unbelievable. Are many of you saying it's not worth it? I've played BM and Puresim but have never taken the plunge on OOTP.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #42
KWhit
Coordinator

Well, I personally think it's a great game that blows PS and BM out of the water. There are things that can be improved, but it's the best on the market by far, IMO.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #43
Huckleberry
College Starter

Best game of its kind, rowech.

There is a lot more traffic on the OOTP threads discussing problems and suggested improvements for two reasons, both of which are based on the above.

1.) More people own this game and so more people are inclined to comment.
2.) It's closer to being what people want in a game than any of the others, so more people are inclined to comment.

That's not to say it's a perfect game, because no game of that magnitude can be perfect, IMO. I'm just saying don't let this thread scare you.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #44
Blade6119
Coordinator

Anyone else notice the typo in screen shot #5? Heros?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ok I need to preorder. I have had the webstore up in my browser on a background tab for like...more than a week
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #46
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Well, I personally think it's a great game that blows PS and BM out of the water. There are things that can be improved, but it's the best on the market by far, IMO.

I think the engine behind Pure Sim is better, but so far the interface and execution is better for OOTP. I actually think Pure Sim is a vastly underrated title and am very anxious to see what Wolverine will do for the game.

That said, OOTP is currently the closest to nirvana for a career sim baseball text geek currently out there. If you don't expect perfection and can handle a few WTF moments, it's a pretty damned good game.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

BM is great to just rattle off seasons, but OOTP is much, much deeper than BM and Puresim.

I'm excited about v9 but I'm a bit worried as I barely played 7/8.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #48
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm debating buying this game and folks are beginning to worry me. I'm playing with last year's demo to try and get an idea and I think the game is unbelievable. Are many of you saying it's not worth it? I've played BM and Puresim but have never taken the plunge on OOTP.
Depends what you're looking to do. Fictional I think it's great. For a current MLB roster league, OOTP doesn't really offer an ability to do it.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #49
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Depends what you're looking to do. Fictional I think it's great. For a current MLB roster league, OOTP doesn't really offer an ability to do it.

The new version will have current MLB rosters.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #50
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
The new version will have current MLB rosters.
That's been said before in previous versions to no avail. Even if there is a roster set, it doesn't mean it'll be good nor work well with the game. I believe last version eventually got a set together but was riddled with bugs.