Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Fictional Pitching Problems

I know OOTP is the grand ol' "play it your way" type of game, so let me state this first: I'm pure fictional, just using the typical startup with major league teams, auto draft, and I take over the Orioles. I also like to start on year one and manage EVERY game for the O's. Pretty vanilla. I've made no real changes (disabled Rule 5 stuff, waivers, etc) that would effect what I'm seeing as a "problem".

One thing I have noticed on the boards is there is a general problem with development and pitchers having awful K/W ratios later in their career. Well, here I am about 20 games into the season and I am seeing horrific K/W ratios for a ton of pitchers - and a number of them are young.

Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't copy/paste my numbers for the Orioles to date, but their starting pitchers have the following K/W's

34 IP, 18 K, 11 W, 2.91 ERA (my best pitcher - acceptable)
28.1 IP, 12 K, 4 W, 4.13 ERA (acceptable, but only 'cause he somehow struck out 9 batters his last game)
26.1 IP, 15 K, 17 W, 4.78 ERA (bleeh)
30.1 IP, 19 K, 27 W, 5.04 ERA (vomit)
18 IP, 10 K, 19 W, 6.00 ERA (/scream)
7 IP, 5 K, 5 W, 2.57 ERA (meh)
4 IP, 2 K, 10 W, 9.00 ERA (control freak - ha)
13.1 IP, 2 K, 4 W, 6.08 ERA

I mean, maybe my pitching staff is just horrible - I don't know. We have a 5.23 ERA after 22 games, but we've given up 124 walks and 107 Ks as a TEAM in 196 IP. The American League has an 1.5 K/W ratio... that's low, yes?

Maybe it's just small sample size? It's just infuriating as I throw these guys out to the lions and I'm seeing games where I walk 10-11 batters at a time.

Thanks!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

I believe that there is an acknowledged issue where pitchers stuff ratings fall through the floor as they age. I also see the same crappy K/W ratios in my fictional league. So far Markus has chosen to ignore this. Perhaps it will be addressed in a future patch/expansion or in OOTP10.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote