Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #701
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Screw that, sanctions until they give up on Crimea.

How about until Putin goes?

Maybe that's not realistic but, it seems like there must be a permanent changing of the relationship involving this Russian regime, regardless of how things shake out from here.

Last edited by molson : 03-25-2022 at 01:23 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #702
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I mean I'd love that. But we'll see. If there is any treatment of him other than pariah from here on out...
Old 03-25-2022, 02:30 PM   #703
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Who had Rezantsev in the deadpool?
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:51 PM   #704
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Apparently, this topic has its own wikipedia page now:
List of Russian generals killed during the 2022 invasion of Ukraine - Wikipedia

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:22 PM   #705
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just masterful.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #706
RainMaker
General Manager

And remember the people in the United States that have supported and laundered Orban's autocratic regime.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #707
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
This really is quite something. Wait for the total admonishment of Hungary’s Viktor Orban. pic.twitter.com/zVrkwNY1eL
— Jack Parrock (@jackeparrock) March 25, 2022

Just masterful.

Actually, I like how it wasn't a total admonishment of Orban. He called him out but in a "you haven't chosen so far but you can still choose the right path" way, not in a "you're an awful person" way and then appealed to him on his own terms with his own history. It was really well done.

SI

Old 03-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #708
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
And remember the people in the United States that have supported and laundered Orban's autocratic regime.

I wonder if there is more than a dozen people in the US who even know who Orban is.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:16 PM   #709
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I wonder if there is more than a dozen people in the US who even know who Orban is.

The most-watched and influential cable news show recently spent a week broadcasting from Hungary spreading propaganda about Orban. He's an incredibly popular figure in right-wing media. CPAC is being hosted in Hungary in a couple of months where Orban will be a keynote speaker.

The former President put out a press release and e-mail blast to millions of his followers endorsing Orban. The former Vice President recently spoke alongside Orban at a conference in Budapest. And a number of members of Congress have shown their support.

You can't memory-hole that stuff.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #710
Swaggs
Coordinator

In looking at the list of Russian Generals, I noticed that they are mostly all in the mid-40s, while US Generals are typically in their late 50s. Anyone have insight into why their most decorated leaders are so young? Or are the ranks not equivalent?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #711
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
In looking at the list of Russian Generals, I noticed that they are mostly all in the mid-40s, while US Generals are typically in their late 50s. Anyone have insight into why their most decorated leaders are so young? Or are the ranks not equivalent?

Just a guess, but Putin's first premiership started in 1999. That would mean 50+ yead old generals started pre-Putin while 40 year olds have always been under his thumb.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:07 PM   #712
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The most-watched and influential cable news show recently spent a week broadcasting from Hungary spreading propaganda about Orban. He's an incredibly popular figure in right-wing media. CPAC is being hosted in Hungary in a couple of months where Orban will be a keynote speaker.

The former President put out a press release and e-mail blast to millions of his followers endorsing Orban. The former Vice President recently spoke alongside Orban at a conference in Budapest. And a number of members of Congress have shown their support.

You can't memory-hole that stuff.

I guess I'm not up to date on the latest Trump rallies

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-25-2022 at 07:08 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:38 PM   #713
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Just a guess, but Putin's first premiership started in 1999. That would mean 50+ yead old generals started pre-Putin while 40 year olds have always been under his thumb.

That was my thought, as well - anyone 50s+ who could be a threat was already shuffled out

SI

Old 03-25-2022, 09:25 PM   #714
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

That makes sense. Kind of crazy to think about what the "bench" for generals in Russia is going to look like whenever this resolves. Seems like there is the potential to have almost a generational gap in experience if things keep going in this direction.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:46 PM   #715
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

From what I understand this is accurate.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #716
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Billionaire Abramovich, Ukrainian peace negotiators hit by suspected poisoning -reports
Old 03-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #717
RainMaker
General Manager

That's pretty wild if he's going after Abramovich.

Remember when Russia released a chemical weapon in the UK that killed someone and made others gravely ill and it was just kind of blown off?
Old 03-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #718
RainMaker
General Manager

Actually, the poisoning story is now being debunked. Bellingcat is not a great source for news.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #719
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I wondered. I seem to remember Bellingcat being way off on a big story a while ago. I can't remember what it was mow.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:15 PM   #720
RainMaker
General Manager

Their thing is they launder CIA stuff to the public.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:56 PM   #721
Edward64
Head Coach

Peace talks in Turkey tomorrow.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times
Quote:
Russia is no longer requesting Ukraine be “denazified” and is prepared to let Kyiv join the EU if it remains militarily non-aligned as part of ceasefire negotiations, according to four people briefed on the discussions.

Moscow and Kyiv are discussing a pause in hostilities as part of a possible deal that would involve Ukraine abandoning its drive for Nato membership in exchange for security guarantees and the prospect to join the EU, the people said under the condition of anonymity because the matter is not yet finalised.

The draft ceasefire document does not contain any discussion of three of Russia’s initial core demands — “denazification”, “demilitarisation”, and legal protection for the Russian language in Ukraine — the people added.

Envoys from both sides are to meet in Istanbul on Tuesday in a fourth round of peace talks designed to end president Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine. The concessions on Russia’s side come as its month-long ground offensive has largely stalled as a result of fiercer Ukrainian resistance than expected and Russian operational deficiencies.

But Ukraine and its western backers remain sceptical of Putin’s intentions, worrying that the Russian president could be using the talks as a smokescreen to replenish his exhausted forces and plan a fresh offensive.
Quote:
As part of the agreement under consideration, Ukraine would also refrain from developing nuclear weapons, or hosting foreign military bases in addition to abandoning its pursuit of Nato membership.

In exchange, Ukraine would get what Arakhamia called “wording close to Nato’s Article 5” — whereby the alliances’ members must come to each others’ aid if one is attacked — for security guarantees from countries including Russia, the US, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, China, Italy, Poland, Israel, and Turkey.
This is prob going to be the key area of contention.
Quote:
The draft communiqué under consideration leaves the biggest sticking point — Ukraine’s attempts to reclaim territory seized by Russia since 2014 — to be settled in a tentative future discussion by Putin and Zelensky, the people said.

Moscow, Arakhamia said, was demanding that Ukraine recognise Russia’s control over the Crimean peninsula, which Moscow annexed in 2014, as well as two territories run by Russian-backed separatists in the eastern Donbas region.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:11 PM   #722
Edward64
Head Coach

Article below made me wonder what is happening with the Russian tourists that travelled overseas when the war started. If I was them, I'm not sure I'd want to return right now. Presumably they were impacted with all the banking constraints and ruble devaluation.

Tough situation for innocent Russians caught up in all of this.

The US Admitted a Group of Russians at the Border Under Secret Deal With Mexico
Quote:
A group of Russian citizens who fled their country after the invasion of Ukraine and spent a week camped out at the U.S.-Mexico border was quietly admitted to the U.S. in a secret deal with Mexican officials, VICE World News has learned.

The group of 35 asylum seekers was whisked away in the predawn hours of March 20 and driven to a part of the border where they wouldn’t be seen: a checkpoint that has been closed to the public for several months.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:17 AM   #723
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Actually, the poisoning story is now being debunked. Bellingcat is not a great source for news.

Well the BBC is still running with the story, even if some are say the health symptons are due to "environmental conditions"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60904676
Old 03-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #724
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The lead Ukrainian negotiator says that talks have progressed to a point where Putin and Zelensky might meet to finalize and sign papers.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:17 PM   #725
molson
General Manager

Kind of worried for Zelensky in any meeting with any Russian.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:38 PM   #726
BYU 14
Coordinator

I know i would shake no hands and take no food or drink if I were him
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:47 PM   #727
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I would go full haz-mat suit.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:37 PM   #728
kingfc22
Head Coach

The "mighty Russian military" have been exposed as frauds
Old 03-29-2022, 01:43 PM   #729
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
The "mighty Russian military" have been exposed as frauds

Which is what happens when you purge seasoned commanders from the previous regime and replace them with younger, inexperienced leaders who care more about staying on your good side than effective military tactics or competent leadership. Putin got just what he was begging for here.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #730
PilotMan
Head Coach

Has anyone been following the cyber war on Russia? As far as states go, Russia has been 'doing the cyber' for well over a decade and constantly against Ukraine to help destabilize it. Anonymous basically just deleted the entire database that their aviation authority maintained, according to some reports. 65 Terabytes of data, one terabyte is about 75million pages. There have been other hacking reports as well, and a myriad of upcoming data drops. It's been quite the clinic.

I can't imagine the FAA suddenly losing all of its data on planes and pilots and whatever else. Supposedly the data hadn't been backed up because of budget issues.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-29-2022 at 01:59 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:18 PM   #731
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Could you imagine not having a backup of that data?
Old 03-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #732
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Could you imagine not having a backup of that data?

Every IT guy nods sagely.

Or at least a working backup, yeah. I bet there's probably some "backup" that satisfied some checkbox somewhere a long time ago but not one that's actually functionally a backup.

SI

Old 03-29-2022, 02:33 PM   #733
Flasch186
Coordinator

Although someone’s buyinga new laptop and starting from scratch is just what you needed and didn’t know it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #734
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Which is what happens when you purge seasoned commanders from the previous regime and replace them with younger, inexperienced leaders who care more about staying on your good side than effective military tactics or competent leadership. Putin got just what he was begging for here.
I think it has way more to do with the fact their army is mostly made up of one year conscripts. There are many jobs in our military where the training takes more than a year. A volunteer army is generally going to be better trained and have a higher morale. Add in the rampant corruption (not that it isn't pretty rampant here as well), you are not going to have a solid fighting force that can withstand a long term heavy engagement.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:30 PM   #735
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah the corruption in regards to supply and training is a huge issue. They started without enough food and gear to last more than a week and a lot of that was substandard.

There's obviously the real risk of nuclear war, but in a conventional conflict, NATO would wipe the Russian army out in no time.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:45 PM   #736
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Only a month ago Russia's army was still considered the second strongest in the world & Putin was thought of as one of the shrewdest leaders in history for like 20 years running. He could have easily rode that reputation into the sunset & left Russia as a world power to be feared, but in an effort to make some kind of legacy statement he may have instead set off the country's literal collapse in less than a month, by first believing his corrupt military's own propaganda and then actively revealing it's worthlessness to the entire world. It's hard to overstate how ridiculous this would've seemed just a month ago.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-29-2022 at 06:46 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:43 PM   #737
tarcone
Coordinator

Think how funny this would be if he started in November

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #738
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Think how funny this would be if he started in November

I think during election season, it would have been unpredictable as to what Trump would have done & said. Now if it was early 2021, I can easily see where NATO/EU response be in disarray because of Trump being Trump.

I am critical of Biden on how we exited Afghanistan. But can't imagine a better NATO/EU response under Biden. Our response has been "balanced" and not directly confrontational. Kudos to US leadership in corralling others together in supplying weapons, intel & advice, economic sanctions, and IMO very likely some operators on the ground, behind the front lines helping Ukrainian military ops.

With that said, kudos to Zelenskyy. I would have assumed he would have gone into exile but he didn't take the easy way out. He's the George Washington of Ukraine now (regardless of past history).
Old 03-30-2022, 02:51 PM   #739
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Only a month ago Russia's army was still considered the second strongest in the world & Putin was thought of as one of the shrewdest leaders in history for like 20 years running. He could have easily rode that reputation into the sunset & left Russia as a world power to be feared, but in an effort to make some kind of legacy statement he may have instead set off the country's literal collapse in less than a month, by first believing his corrupt military's own propaganda and then actively revealing it's worthlessness to the entire world. It's hard to overstate how ridiculous this would've seemed just a month ago.

Always be skeptical of the propaganda surrounding foreign militaries. Many in this country use it to push for more defense spending. We're seeing it come up in talks about the Navy's new budget.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:53 PM   #740
RainMaker
General Manager

Interesting that the ruble has rebounded to almost pre-war levels in Russia. Maybe the sanctions will work long-term, but in the short-term, it doesn't seem to be as destructive as we thought.

Worth noting that we didn't really go after the oligarchs which is how you really put pressure on that country.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:45 AM   #741
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

No wonder Russian troop morale is low:

Russian Troops Suffer ‘Acute Radiation Sickness’ After Digging Chernobyl Trenches
Old 03-31-2022, 10:48 AM   #742
BYU 14
Coordinator

Not knowing, or telling your troops they were digging in radio-active soil is incompetence on a whole other level.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:10 AM   #743
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And for what? Trenches that are probably of low strategic value. Like if you were attacking the site, wouldn't you just be like "screw it, let them stay in their trenches and they'll have to come out sooner rather than later". Or some petty stuff like mining the area around it.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-31-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:02 PM   #744
Edward64
Head Coach

I suspect its more foxholes than trenches (like WWI). Anything to reduce your profile is good IMO.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #745
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I suspect its more foxholes than trenches (like WWI). Anything to reduce your profile is good IMO.

In a war where you're getting beaten pretty soundly in a lot of areas, there might be a better use of your troops than digging trenches in a highly irradiated area on land they were never planning on keeping and where it was very unlikely there was going to be a pitched infantry battle.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-31-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:22 PM   #746
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If I was playing a world domination game and these were the results I was getting when a super power attacked an inferior nation I would think the AI was busted.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:39 PM   #747
tarcone
Coordinator

Is Zelensky the Anti-Christ? I thought maybe Trump, but I always thought Eastern Europe would be the home area.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:29 PM   #748
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is Zelensky the Anti-Christ?

No.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:11 PM   #749
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Is Zelensky the Anti-Christ? I thought maybe Trump, but I always thought Eastern Europe would be the home area.

WTF does this even mean?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:40 PM   #750
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure if confirmed but there are reports that Ukraine attacked a fuel depot inside Russia. Awfully cheeky of them (but good for them).

I think we can conclude this is now a stalemate (as long as the west continues to supply weapons & intel). My guess is a negotiated settlement is the likely scenario now vs a straight out Russian win.