Old 01-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
hukarez
College Starter

Broncos fan humiliated by teacher

Was this posted already? Did a quick search, didn't find anything, but eh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2303468

Teacher forces Pa. student to take test on floor

Associated Press

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. -- A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class -- for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey.

If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what [the class] is designed to do. It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset.

Ethics teacher John Kelly
The teacher, John Kelly, forced Joshua Vannoy to sit on the floor and take the test Friday -- two days before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Broncos 34-17 in the AFC championship game. Kelly also made other students throw crumpled up paper at Vannoy, whom he called a "stinking Denver fan," Vannoy told The Associated Press on Monday.

Kelly said Vannoy, a junior at Beaver Area Senior High School, just didn't get the joke.

"If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what [the class] is designed to do," Kelly told The Denver Post. "It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset."

Vannoy was wearing a No. 7 Broncos jersey on Friday, because he is a fan of John Elway, the Broncos' retired Hall of Fame quarterback.

Vannoy said he was so unnerved he left at least 20 questions blank on the 60-question test, and just wants out of Kelly's class because he's afraid the teacher won't treat him fairly now that the story reached the media.

"I'm going to have to deal with him for two more nine weeks [school quarters] and he's going to want revenge somehow," Vannoy said Monday. "I took the test. I'm shaking. I'm furious. I didn't know what to do."

Kelly, who wore a Ben Roethlisberger jersey Friday, and his principal, Thomas Karczewski, didn't immediately return messages left on their school voice mail Monday.

Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent said she was aware of the situation, but said confidentiality rules prevent her from commenting specifically.

"We'll take whatever action we need to in order for the student to feel comfortable," Nugent said.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

Hahah. That's awesome.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think this article needs to do some fact checking. Was the class an ethics class, as the caption says, or an ethnicity class, as the first paragraph says? That's an important distinction.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

either way it's fucked up
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola-
if I was the kid I would have told the teacher to fuck off
Old 01-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
I think this article needs to do some fact checking. Was the class an ethics class, as the caption says, or an ethnicity class, as the first paragraph says? That's an important distinction.

-Anxiety
You think a reporter might have posted a sensationalized story without checking the facts, just because it might sell papers? Never!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent

There is something extremely sexy about her title.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #8
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Hahah. That's awesome.

Yeah. It's awesome for a teacher to make a student sit in the middle of class and let others throw wads of paper at him.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
either way it's fucked up

Not necessarily. In an ethics course, a teacher may, in good humor, demonstrate various behaviors. Maybe the teacher thought this kid would be a good sport. Maybe he volunteered and then later regretted it. Without knowing all of the facts, there's no reason to judge the situation. Maybe this kid regularly teased students so the teacher chose him for this demonstration in order to teach everybody, including the kid.

Now, if it were an ethnicity class, I'd wonder why the teacher performed this activity. Maybe to demonstrate the alienation of certain ethnic groups? Still, it seems more a stretch.

Anyways, that's how it matters and may be quite appropriate. Of course, it may also be an abuse of power by the teacher, but there certainly isn't enough here for me to make a judgment.

-Anxiety

Old 01-23-2006, 10:48 PM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Yeah. It's awesome for a teacher to make a student sit in the middle of class and let others throw wads of paper at him.

It certainly could be. I remember a sixth or seventh grade social studies teacher who made kids who disturbed her class stand on one leg and hop or somesuch and publicly embarass them since they publicly interrupted her class.

As reported in this article, the student ws innocent of everything but waeraing a jersey and the teacher was arbitrary. If I were a betting man, I'd lay money that when all of this story comes out, there was something else here. Maybe he was disrupting the class, teasing classmates at lunch, or something.

-Anxiety

Old 01-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What I find kinda interesting is that none of the adults named in the story appear to be mentioned anywhere on the school system web page.
http://www.basd.k12.pa.us/sdistrict/admin/

Here's the original story from the Denver Post btw
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3426221

I almost get the feeling that somebody at the Post got Punk'd on this story.
If they didn't, that's one "teacher" who ought to be looking for a job in about 24 hours ... after he finished picking up his teeth.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Apparently this wasn't new for this "teacher" (check the Post article), he allegedly did the same thing to a kid with a Manning jersey last week.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #13
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent

There is something extremely sexy about her title.
Hey, the Nuge likes beavers. I wonder if there is a connection.

The kid should have just round house kicked the teacher back to the 1997 superbowl and told him that's what it feels like to get spanked by a Bronco. Better yet, kick his ass to Feb 5th (or whatever Superbowl Sunday is) and let him see what it is like to watch his Steeler boys get spanked by a totally disrespected Seahawk!
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Honestly, kids need to have a little bit thicker skin.. Sports is competition, and trash-talking happens every 3 seconds. I can't imagine getting butthurt if I lived in Dallas and wore a Niners jersey three days before a championship game. You should expect that.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
It sure is!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #16
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I mean..nobody can be sure the exact tone of what happened, but it sounds like it was all in good fun, really.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
You should expect that.

Not from someone in a position of authority over a student like that.
In the workplace, you always have the option of walking away if you want, but with compulsory attendance, that's not an option for a student.

Like I said, (_if_ the story is true), this asshole ought to be looking for his teeth & a new job, in that order.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #18
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Not from someone in a position of authority over a student like that.
In the workplace, you always have the option of walking away if you want, but with compulsory attendance, that's not an option for a student.

Like I said, (_if_ the story is true), this asshole ought to be looking for his teeth & a new job, in that order.

Fair enough.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:16 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep, if it is true, this teacher should be blackballed from ever teaching again. That's definetly abusing your position of authority.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #20
Donnie Baker
n00b

Quote:

Lighten the hell up. The kid is obviously a sports fan and he wore the opposing team's jersey close to the team's home. He was trying to stand out and that's what he got. Hell, it was even mentioned that the teacher did this the week before with a Colts fan so the kid most likely knew what he could have been in for and then didn't like it when it actually happened.

Maybe he'll learn a lesson in life that life isn;t a sterile environment where no-one ever get their feelings hurt.
Donnie Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Baker
Lighten the hell up. The kid is obviously a sports fan and he wore the opposing team's jersey close to the team's home. He was trying to stand out and that's what he got. Hell, it was even mentioned that the teacher did this the week before with a Colts fan so the kid most likely knew what he could have been in for and then didn't like it when it actually happened.

Maybe he'll learn a lesson in life that life isn;t a sterile environment where no-one ever get their feelings hurt.

Donnie Baker
n00b

By golly, I believe that just about covers it.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #22
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

That's awesome, I wish I had that guy has a teacher.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #23
Desmond
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
"I'm going to have to deal with him for two more nine weeks [school quarters] and he's going to want revenge somehow,"

Im no scholar, but that can't be proper English. I would throw papers at him too.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 PM   #24
Its Vanilla
High School JV

The kid wore a Denver jersey trying to get a rise out of people and it backfired on him. Boo-freaking-hoo.
Its Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

those of you who are sticking up for the teacher and saying the kid should know better are just ignorant. This happened in a school classroom. Please explaine to me what was educational about this expierience?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:55 PM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
those of you who are sticking up for the teacher and saying the kid should know better are just ignorant. This happened in a school classroom. Please explaine to me what was educational about this expierience?

Did you skip over my posts or what? I explain several different scenarios under which this could be educational.

-Anxiety

Old 01-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Did you skip over my posts or what? I explain several different scenarios under which this could be educational.

-Anxiety
there is nothing educational about humiliating a 17 year old kid. Period.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's a pretty silly statement of you mean it. Nothing educational ever? Not at all? Absolutely?

-Anxiety

Old 01-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That's a pretty silly statement of you mean it. Nothing educational ever? Not at all? Absolutely?

-Anxiety
how is that slim? think back to when you were 17 and all the humiliating things that happened to you? Now imagine it coming at the hands of a schoolteacher?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:04 AM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nothing educational ever? Not at all? Absolutely?

Well, it could teach him that there are some pathetic low-life powertrippers in the world, sorely in need of an ass kicking. Do you mean other than that?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-24-2006 at 12:04 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:36 AM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Well, it could teach him that there are some pathetic low-life powertrippers in the world, sorely in need of an ass kicking. Do you mean other than that?
LOL!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 AM   #32
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I think it's perfectly acceptable as long as he's willing to sit on the floor and let the same student take a big dump in his lap to 'educate him' in what goes around comes around.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #33
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
I think it's perfectly acceptable as long as he's willing to sit on the floor and let the same student take a big dump in his lap to 'educate him' in what goes around comes around.

Ha!
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:14 AM   #34
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
how is that slim? think back to when you were 17 and all the humiliating things that happened to you? Now imagine it coming at the hands of a schoolteacher?

Can I pick the teacher? Get down on the floor! Yes ma'am! Please don't hurt me, much.

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:33 AM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Can I pick the teacher? Get down on the floor! Yes ma'am! Please don't hurt me, much.

i knew this would come up sooner or later
Old 01-24-2006, 01:36 AM   #36
Desnudo
Coordinator

Better sooner rather than later.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:40 AM   #37
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Better sooner rather than later.
true
Old 01-24-2006, 05:28 AM   #38
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I agree, the teacher was definitely wrong to do it in any scenario. But that dude was 17 years old and a Broncos fan. That kid is gonna have some issues. There has to be more to the story than this. More pure speculation: did he leave 33% of the test blank and then use his situation as an excuse for doing poorly and not knowing the material?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:58 AM   #39
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I'll echo the sentiment those who won't pass judgement either way on this scenario given the unimpressive nature of the writing. That being said, this is the most incorrect statement I've seen in this thread. I have known and currently know PLENTY of 17-year-olds who desperately needed/need to be humiliated.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #40
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I agree, the teacher was definitely wrong to do it in any scenario. But that dude was 17 years old and a Broncos fan. That kid is gonna have some issues. There has to be more to the story than this. More pure speculation: did he leave 33% of the test blank and then use his situation as an excuse for doing poorly and not knowing the material?

You are 100% on here RA, context. Here is a story about a younger panerd who was somewhat naive, but also was almost taken way out of context.

Mizzou and Kansas are pretty hated rivals in this part of town and I will get one or two sixth graders each year who families are pretty die hard Kansas fans. As much as I depise adult KU fans, I actually feel bad for the younger brainwashed ones and have fun with some back and forth all year in my classes. (In good fun)

So a few years ago I had a kid who used to wear Kansas stuff everyday and would always be sure to mention big KU wins or Mizzou losses. Being the adult I could have fun with him without ever getting angry or nasty. So I remember one day after a big KU win over our basketball team he came in wearing his normal Kansas stuff. So I made a comment that the jayhawk blue was hurting my eyes and he fired back something about how Mizzou stunk and starting singing that Rock-chalk song. Well I jokingly got out a Mizzou trash bag (I know I am a pretty over the top Tiger fan) and told him if he didn't pipe down I was going to make him wear it. Again obviously being the adult I had no intention of making him actually wear the trash bag, it was a joke. Well he started out by saying there is no way he would do that, but being the 11-year old mentality he realized the attention and potential comedy he could create by actually wearing it and mocking Mizzou. So after a few minutes of him begging and the other kids laughing a saying he should wear it. I let him put it on and parade around in it, saying things like "mizzou tigers are trash" etc. Funny moment, he took it off and we got back to work.

Well a few weeks later his dad comes into parent teacher conferences and starts going all Jon in Middle GA on me about how I forced his son to wear a trash bag and how I am taking things way too far. I calmly explained the situation but he wasn't having any of it. Was I guilty of terrible judgement? Absolutely. Should I have been reprimanded? I don't think so, but I could see it. Should he have taken my teeth out? Give me a break.

This guy also could have made a bigger deal out of it and could have gone to the press. Can you see how they would spin this story? 'Angry Mizzou fan makes KU kid sit in trash' But the dad came around and realized the true facts about the situation.

How does this relate to this guy in the sotry? Well maybe him and the kid joked all year. Maybe the kid thought it was funny and went home and told his mom and dad and then they went to the press. Maybe like RA said the kid didn't mind until he did poorly on the test. We really don't know all of the specifics to pile on the guy like this. If he ends up just being an asshole, then you guys are right. He deserves to be punished. But right now I am willing to give him the benfit of the doubt.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:43 AM   #41
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Depends entirely on the situation imho - I've had teachers when I was a kid who were definitely hateful but stuck to the 'rules' and I also had teachers who did similar things to what happened here but in a jokey fashion* which was accepted and enjoyed by students.

Without the context of the situation and knowledge of how things really stood its impossible to know the truth of the situation.

*In fact my daughter regularly traded jibes with her form teacher at her last school about him being a Spurs supporter (while Haley by default is a Man City fan because of her mum) .... they both enjoyed it, however if put down in a newspaper I'm sure some of the comments the teacher made would seem 'cruel'.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:46 AM   #42
Bee
Pro Starter

Seems to me the teacher was out of line, but it also sounds like the 17 year old needs to grow a pair. I could see a little kid being upset by this, but a 17 year old? I guess young adults are a lot different than when I was that age.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #43
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Now, if it were an ethnicity class, I'd wonder why the teacher performed this activity.

Your efforts to find a rational motivation for the teacher is admirable. It also ignores the most likely reason - the guy's an asshole.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #44
Butter
Coordinator

Such a shocker to see a couple of Steeler fans in here defending the teacher.

If I would've had to put an over/under on it, I would've said 10 posts, but I would've been just slightly off.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 AM   #45
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Such a shocker to see a couple of Steeler fans in here defending the teacher.

If I would've had to put an over/under on it, I would've said 10 posts, but I would've been just slightly off.

Or just people who understand that both sides of a story don't always get equal play. The number of vast generalizations I have seen in just this thread from posters who have proven to be very intelligent and rational in the past is what shocks me most.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 AM   #46
Tigercat
College Starter

Who goes to the media with classroom problems that aren't REALLY serious? You go to the principal and school board first, and if they don't listen to you then you go to the media. Crying to the media right away about one bad test taking experience and an asshole teacher is weak. Maybe the teacher should be fired, but come on. All of us have had teachers at one point that are assholes and should have probably been fired, but I don't see a "This week's asshole teacher of the week" running in local papers. Some people have serious entitlement issues when they consider themselves wronged.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:12 AM   #47
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This is interesting. When I've read about these situations in the past, I've almost always taken the side of the student, good ol liberal that I am. However, I'm seeing things differently than the most others here.

It was an ethnicity class, (all other articles report it as such). Apparently the teacher called the kid a "stinkin Broncos fan". Now, think about the way the teacher worded that. To me it does sound like he's making a point about how certain ethnic groups get treated.

Now maybe he went too far. Maybe the kid used this as an excuse for his test. I don't know. Either way, I don't think this is a simple case of a teacher intentionally humiliating a student. I really don't think we're getting the whole story here.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #48
Subby
lolzcat

Nothing good ever came out of wearing a professional sports jersey. That's the lesson here.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #49
KWhit
Coordinator

According to the article, the kid was punished for WEARING A SPORTS JERSEY. And he was punished in a way that will undoubtably affect his grade in the class, since he had to take a test while being humiliated. From the story, it sounds like the teacher just likes to push around students who are fans of other teams because he can.

I don't care if the kid walked into the room farting the Broncos fight song while burning Big Ben in effigy, I don't think that public humiliation is appropriate. I'd bet that those of you who are defending the teacher don't have kids. If that kind of thing was done to my son, I'd want to join JiMG and kick the guy's teeth in.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #50
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

Kids are too damn soft these days. If the same thing happened to me, I would have laughed about it. I am sure when the Bills played the Giants in Superbowl 20, if I had worn a Jim Kelly jersey to my school in CT, I would have had to pay the consequences. Hell, when I was in high school Buffalo and UConn would beat Syracuse, my basketball coach used to make me run laps by myself just because UConn beat his team. The kid is a little baby and his parents are just like so many other parents who look to blame the school for everything but take no responsibility for parenting their child or taking responsibility for their child's actions.

The kid should have been smarter than to wear a Broncos jersey to school in a Pittsburgh suburb. It is just asking for harrassment when you are doing that