Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nice bot. If we're nice to you, will we be last to be killed when the Terminators rise up?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #52
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
1) Weber Grill
2) 85"+ TV
3) Sony A6xxx Mirrorless camera
4) Webcam (nice one that can rotate some, beyond the standard laptop 720p)
5) Mavic Air drone

From last year, did get #1 and #4. Still haven't quite mastered grilling but doing something nearly every weekend. Webcam was a no brainer, laptop webcams suck.

For this year, going to scratch #3 and #5 from the list. However, #2 is seriously in contention since wife wants a new laptop (mac book pro).

As always, looking to add to my blu-ray collection with cheap deals.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #53
Edward64
Head Coach

What's on everyone's BF list?

Top 2 are:

1) MacBook Pro (missus)
2) Desktop around $500-$700 (primarily CPU & RAM box, don't needed monitor or GPU)

Nice to haves:

3) Mirrorless camera
4) 85"+ TV
5) Oculus Quest VR or something similar (have to get #2 first though)
Old 10-09-2021, 11:01 PM   #54
PilotMan
Head Coach

There was a report on CNBC about the supply issues that stores are having due to not enough drivers, and major freight back ups etc. I think it's going to end up spilling into the Christmas season. Might be best for peeps to start their shopping now. There won't be any guarantee that the thing you're looking at will be there later on.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:17 PM   #55
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
There was a report on CNBC about the supply issues that stores are having due to not enough drivers, and major freight back ups etc. I think it's going to end up spilling into the Christmas season. Might be best for peeps to start their shopping now. There won't be any guarantee that the thing you're looking at will be there later on.

I don't see how the supply chain issues will be fixed before 2022 so I think this is solid advice.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #56
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't see how the supply chain issues will be fixed before 2022 so I think this is solid advice.

Cars & electronics unfortunately. I know auto have gone up in price (or at least discounts are not as available). I've read about long delivery times for laptops also.

Hard to gauge how long this will last.

EDIT: article I just saw after posting. Maybe time to stock up on some stuff ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Walgreens.html
Quote:
NYC drug store shelves are left empty at CVS, Duane Reade and Walgreens due to mounting supply chain crisis

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-10-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #57
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

My only issue with this is most companies have not started the extended holiday return window yet
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #58
Edward64
Head Coach

Some decent BR deals

https://slickdeals.net/f/15341428-st...?src=frontpage
Old 10-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Everybody be on the lookout for a good Windows 11 PC deal with monitor, with a good amount of memory and hard drive space for me for less than/at $1000 please?
Old 10-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #60
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We are looking to get a Switch for my 8 year old, a new smart TV for our bedroom, a kindle for my 11 year old, airpods for my 11 year old, and a basic laptop for my 8 year old.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #61
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've already done my own personal shopping (thanks work from home drastically reducing my lunch and outside coffee spending for over a year!). Ordered an M1 MacBook Pro and a Pixel 6 Pro (God that was an annoying online shopping experience on the Google store).

I guess I can start shopping for the wife now, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-20-2021 at 11:57 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #62
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Mine's more practical and conventional this year. I'm in the middle of the longest car hunt I've ever had thanks to the unfortunate state of the used car market. Engine is in the process of going kaput on my current vehicle. I won't be splurging on anything over the holidays most likely.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #63
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I've already done my own personal shopping (thanks work from home drastically reducing my lunch and outside coffee spending for over a year!). Ordered an M1 MacBook Pro and a Pixel 6 Pro (God that was an annoying online shopping experience on the Google store).

I guess I can start shopping for the wife now, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Make sure to share your Pixel 6 Pro impressions in the phone thread plz k thx
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #64
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Everybody be on the lookout for a good Windows 11 PC deal with monitor, with a good amount of memory and hard drive space for me for less than/at $1000 please?

I'm looking for a desktop also < $700. Don't need monitor or GPU (unless its a really good bundled deal). Targeting a Dell XPS i7.

FWIW, I don't think we'll see as good deals as in the past with all the shortages but it's time to move from my 4-core to 8-core i7.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #65
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Mine's more practical and conventional this year. I'm in the middle of the longest car hunt I've ever had thanks to the unfortunate state of the used car market. Engine is in the process of going kaput on my current vehicle. I won't be splurging on anything over the holidays most likely.

Ouch, sorry to hear. Definitely a bad time to buy a car right now.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #66
Drake
assmaster

The salesmen at all of our local dealerships still talk about how the Cash for Clunkers program ruined the used car market to explain the prices.

I like to remind them that CfC was 12 years ago.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:58 AM   #67
Edward64
Head Coach

See some 85"+ TVs for sale and getting that itch. Still a tad expensive and have a 14" MacBook Pro to buy for the missus.

Dell has released pricing for Alder Lake gaming desktop (Alienware) and its about $1,400 for base model with i5. May have to stay with current Rocket Lake generation at those prices.

With supply chain woes, figure electronics will be at a premium this year.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #68
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Edward, if you don't need a dedicated GPU, consider getting a ryzen based mini PC where you just supply and install the ram and SSD.

Ryzen3 performance is insane. I have a hades canyon Intel NUC as a secondary PC and I love that thing. The newer Ryzen CPU are suppose to smoke that thing and they are fairly low powered so they are fine being in small enclosures.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-30-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:27 PM   #69
Edward64
Head Coach

I currently have a 750ti (yeah, I know) which suffices for now so will want a form factor that can accept a dedicated GPU when they get back to normal.

The Dell Home BF ad is out.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15366475-de...lack-friday-ad
Old 11-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #70
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
What's on everyone's BF list?

Top 2 are:

1) MacBook Pro (missus)
2) Desktop around $500-$700 (primarily CPU & RAM box, don't needed monitor or GPU)

Nice to haves:

3) Mirrorless camera
4) 85"+ TV
5) Oculus Quest VR or something similar (have to get #2 first though)
6) GoPro 10
7) Mavic drone

Okay, going to add GoPro & Mavic to the "nice to have" list.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:26 AM   #71
Edward64
Head Coach

Below looks to be a pretty good deal. Any TV-philes here have an opinion?

Costco Members: 86" LG UP8770 Series 4K UHD LED LCD TV + $50 Costco Shop Card
Old 11-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #72
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'll just share the first line of rtings review as it's nicer than what I would say:

Quote:
The LG UP8000 is an okay budget 4k TV.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #73
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is a combo random thought, holiday shopping, Covid thread post...

Our dishwasher died. We need a black one and want something a little higher end. Can't find anything, anywhere. Not in stock, no "available in February," nothing. In store, online, same story. So we're going to call a technician to see if there's any way to get it working again. Otherwise, our options are to buy something in the wrong color, lower end, and/or whatever we can find in stock or wash dishes for several months and hope that the supply chain issues ease up.

We were also going to buy a new microwave just because (our house is 15 years old, so these are the last 2 original appliances left). I'm literally trying to pay ANYONE who can give me what I want about $1500-2000, and I can't find any takers.

Bad time for the dishwasher to die...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #74
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This is a combo random thought, holiday shopping, Covid thread post...

Our dishwasher died. We need a black one and want something a little higher end. Can't find anything, anywhere. Not in stock, no "available in February," nothing. In store, online, same story. So we're going to call a technician to see if there's any way to get it working again. Otherwise, our options are to buy something in the wrong color, lower end, and/or whatever we can find in stock or wash dishes for several months and hope that the supply chain issues ease up.

We were also going to buy a new microwave just because (our house is 15 years old, so these are the last 2 original appliances left). I'm literally trying to pay ANYONE who can give me what I want about $1500-2000, and I can't find any takers.

Bad time for the dishwasher to die...

Ours died over the summer and we wanted a Bosch as a replacement. To get the right color and model we wanted we ended up waiting over 6 weeks. It was a huge upgrade over the one that came with the house, but those 6+ weeks sucked.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:39 AM   #75
Edward64
Head Coach

My wife as been wanting an air fryer.

Which model did you get?
Old 11-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #76
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

We had to wait three weeks for our refrigerator. I guess the delays have just gotten worse.

Quote:

Which model did you get?
When we were shopping for refrigerators, I saw they now have stoves that can also be used as air-fries. I want one, but mom...err my wife said no.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #77
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Ours died over the summer and we wanted a Bosch as a replacement. To get the right color and model we wanted we ended up waiting over 6 weeks. It was a huge upgrade over the one that came with the house, but those 6+ weeks sucked.

Yep, Bosch was our first choice. Three stores we visited said they aren't even on the radar for availability. Can't even order one for April if we wanted to. But of course they're happy to have them out on their floor to show you what you can't buy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #78
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We have a Gourmia air fryer. One of the best kitchen appliances ever. Total game changer.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #79
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Which model did you get?

The small Ninja. Bought mine at Wal Mart for the same price. I had a "deal of the day one" from Amazon as my first and while it cooked great it was much harder to clean with a full basket instead of the small plate that sits in the bottom of the Ninja.

I wanted simple to use and simple to clean. Not sure what size or features you are looking for but this one is good for one living alone and doing simple cooking. May want to go up a size when cooking for 2+. Dishwasher safe but I just clean it in the sink. A little hot water\Dawn, let it soak for a bit, and then can pretty much wipe it out and dry. 2 minute operation and all is well again.

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-AF101-F...s%2C277&sr=1-3
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #80
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Looking for an elliptical that is under $1k. Or maybe a stationary bike? Reading reviews makes spending under $1200+ seem hit and miss? Even the name brands reviewed on Amazon seem to have plenty of issues and lack luster customer support. But then how many of those are just disgruntled whiners that can't follow instructions on how to put something together?

I retired in May and need something to get me through Iowa winters (4 months or so) where I can't ride my bike, golf, etc. I could go to the wellness center but having something in the house would be much better than going out in below zero weather to get in some exercise. Not to mention those temps or snow would always be an excuse to just skip a day.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:07 AM   #81
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
The small Ninja. Bought mine at Wal Mart for the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-AF101-F...s%2C277&sr=1-3

Thanks! I ordered one.

Good reviews on Amazon and other sites. Looking forward to doing some french fries.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #82
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

I'm targeting Dell XPS line. If you are going for a real gaming PC don't read further.

I've been watching the below 2. First one has i5 and better GPU. The second has i7 with lower mid range GPU (it'll work for me because I prefer better CPU for Stellaris etc.). Inflated GPU prices are messing up the season but when bought with a Dell packaged sale, it is halfway reasonable.

I bought the i7 for my son as a Christmas (and congrats, you found a job) present, but think I'll wait for the Alder Lake desktops sometime in 1Q or 2Q next year.

If you don't need a GPU, there are some other Dell XPS i7 deals out there for $700-$800.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15419590-de...eSearchV2Algo1
https://slickdeals.net/f/15414070-de...eSearchV2Algo1
Old 11-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #83
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah Edward I've been looking at Dell and HP for bundles and/or monitor add-ons. I'd like to get another IBuyPower because its served me well the past 11 years, but so far Dell and HP are cheaper, even though I'm a bit leery about quality and customer service with those two.

I've used AMD for the GPU in all of my computers over the years I think, but not opposed to going to Intel for the right deal. Ryzen 5 or 7, and either 10th or 11th generation I-5 or 7. Something to keep me going for a while.

Monitor just looking for a good deal on a quality monitor, small size is fine.
Graphics doesn't have to be the best out there just something modern games won't have a problem with. Used Radeon on all previous comps, but could go with NVdia GeForce in the right deal. Just have a lot of memory on it and for the computer itself.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #84
Thomkal
Head Coach

The HP one that I found:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15419968-hp...#post151214434
Old 11-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #85
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Question: why a tower? I've gone full laptop and am never going back. If I want to work on 2 screens, that's easy - just close my lid and plug 2 cables into the side. If I want to carry it around, I can do that, too. And laptops cost pretty similar to desktop these days for the same-ish power unless you're talking gaming components.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-20-2021 at 10:04 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #86
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Question: why a tower? I've gone full laptop and am never going back. If I want to work on 2 screens, that's easy - just close my lid and plug 2 cables into the side. If I want to carry it around, I can do that, too. And laptops cost pretty similar to desktop these days for the same-ish power unless you're talking gaming components.

SI

My questions with laptops-future expansion and/or easy to do change things like memory, graphics cards. That and recharging it.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #87
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

Expandability (or ease of). More RAM, more HD, GPU is replaceable etc. Higher heat threshold so CPU doesn't throttle as much or quickly. Generally cheaper also.

The key benefit to a laptop is portability.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #88
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Hoping to buy a Nintendo Switch tomorrow.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #89
Edward64
Head Coach

Good luck!

Quote:
Nintendo has become the latest victim of a global chip shortage that is battering supply chains.

The Japanese company reduced its forecast Thursday for sales of its popular Switch console by about 6%. It now expects to sell 24 million units by the end of the fiscal year, which concludes next March, down from a previous projection of 25.5 million units.

The cut is largely due to the shortage of chips used in its hardware, which has caused production snags, the company said in an earnings presentation.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #90
Edward64
Head Coach

Currently look at this Sony 85" TV

https://slickdeals.net/f/15401848-co...eSearchV2Algo1

RTINGS gives it a good score. Problem is it has legs 60" apart which means I'll have to buy another $200 TV stand as current one is exactly 60" long.

I think I can rationalize this purchase since we spend a lot of time in front of the TV (more so in retirement!), my current 65" TCL is okay but not great, and we'll get the great Costco protection.

But there is an LG 86" which is quite a bit cheaper. It is just average from RTINGS review.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15377443-lg...eSearchV2Algo1

Have to sleep on it.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #91
Edward64
Head Coach

For those of you more outdoorsy inclined, below has links to some sites and their discounts.

Black Friday Deals - 2021 : Ultralight
Old 11-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #92
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I ordered the 65 inch Sony OLED TV from Costco. Supposed to get here tomorrow
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #93
Pyser
Pro Rookie

where's everyone at?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #94
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I rarely get in on the Black Friday shopping, but we've talked about the Ninjas and the added benefit of a grill that's easy to clean would come in very handy - we've often complained about how messy it is to get a simple hamburger cooked properly.

So... found the Ninja Foodi 6-in-1 for $161.49 at Kohls (two codes added, they're on the front page), free shipping. Plus, you get $45 "cash-back" at Kohls, whatever that means. Now, we just have to reorganize our tiny kitchen so we can plug it in.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:54 PM   #95
Thomkal
Head Coach

So back from Thanksgiving and found my new computer, spent more than I wanted to, but should not need to upgrade anytime soon with this baby. Hope it lasts the 11 years my old one did and longer.

Scroll down to see what the specs are. Also got a monitor and a keyboard/mouse. Let me know what utilities/maintenance/anti-virus you'd put on it, preferably free ones; I have AVG Tuneup and a free month of McAfee already.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen...?skuId=6477881
Old 11-27-2021, 05:19 PM   #96
Izulde
Head Coach

Bought a new computer monitor at Best Buy on Black Friday at a pretty nice discount.

Small Business Saturday there weren't really much in the way of discounts locally, but I bought some more books at Wisconsin's oldest bookstore (that place is hell on my wallet, but oh so wonderful), a popcorn bag whose flavor is growing on me at the downtown Likeiforniaesque grocery store, and ate at the not-Vegas Lemongrass restaurant.

I also bought DDS:CB 21 and DDS:CF 21 at Wolverine's sale price.

ETA: Also got a corded mouse for $7 off Amazon - only to find out my mouse was actually hiding and I found it later. Oh well, always good to have a backup for when the wireless battery dies and I forget to have some on hand.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 11-27-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #97
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just picked up gen 2 airpods for my son for $99 at Costco ( may as well light $99 on fire, he will lose them in a week)

Got a 43 inch fire TV from Best Buy for $249.

Nintendo switch bundle $349 for daughter from costco

Instax mini camera, basically a polaroid for daughter for $117. It is a bundle with film, accessories, etc..
Old 11-30-2021, 05:59 AM   #98
Edward64
Head Coach

I decided to wait on the 12th gen Alder Lake desktops next near. All the reviews I'm reading says the i7 version is pretty good. So this may mean next big sale in 2022.

Stellaris has sucked on my old i7-6700. So looking forward to much more CPU power.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #99
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I unexpectedly ended up with a PS5. Signed up for Sony's online sale where selection was supposed to be based on your PSN activity. I haven't done anything on there since PS3 days and that was only to purchase Rock Band songs and historical parks for The Show. So I did not expect to get an email. However Nov 21 I got an invite for a sale on the 22nd. Maybe based on having been a PS Vue subscriber from start to finish? Signed in for sale at start time of 11 am and popup said to expect an hour in queue, huh? I signed in at exactly 11. After a minute that updated to 7 minutes and my order was complete in less than 10 minutes.

Ordered an exercise bike with magnetic resistance that was only $325. Wasn't paying Peleton prices and anything under $2k, even name brands, seemed to have the same types of breakdowns in their reviews. I only need it for the long 4 month winter while I can't get outside to ride my bike. It will be nice though to have it for quick spontaneous use year round where I can get in some extra workouts in idle time. Hopefully the one I get was produced on one of the factories "good days"
Old 10-11-2022, 09:23 PM   #100
Edward64
Head Coach

Kysrup laptop post in the other thread made me think of this one. It's about time to start thinking about what you want this year! Wife and I both got new laptops already this year. And am planning a trip to Australia early next year, so that'll be my real Christmas present.

I do have a BB gift certificate and am definitely planning on adding

1) 4K "Top Gun: Maverick" to my collection to play on my 85" Sony that I got last year

Also ...

2) Altra Olympus 4 trail running shoes
3) Midnight Suns game
4) Mavic Drone Mini 3 (stretch goal)