GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Urban to South Bend?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #1502
GrantDawg

Brian, I saw a sports news guy state that Michigan is in win or lose. I wonder exactly how he gets there?

Old 11-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #1503
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Urban to South Bend?

I can't imagine that happening with all of the scandals attached to Urban. Just the video from earlier this season would probably be enough.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #1504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
As if GT didn't suck enough, their running back (Gibbs - #3 in the nation in all purpose yards) is entering the transfer portal.

Rumored destination is Tennessee so Jon will still be able to cheer for him.

I'd said all weekend that Gibbs would have to be nuts to stay on the used car lot. He's a scarce figure there, a legit P5 caliber player. (No surprise either, he looked like the legit goods coming out of HS, turning down early offers from Michigan and A&M, and late pushes from Florida, Georgia, and Bama)
Old 11-29-2021, 07:07 PM   #1505
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Brian, I saw a sports news guy state that Michigan is in win or lose. I wonder exactly how he gets there?

Assuming it isn't just homerism, I don't know.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:07 PM   #1506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The latest departure from Norman is WR Jadon Haselwood, a highly touted prospect out of Georgia (Cedar Grove)

A few folks may recall that he was originally committed to UGA at one point before leaving with some sharp remarks after the coach in charge of recruiting abruptly departed.

This perhaps gives Haselwood the dubious distinction of being the only talented player in history to leave a program because Jim Chaney _departed_.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #1507
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Luke Fickell has to fit in the carousel somewhere, right?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #1508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The thing that has me doubting the BK rumor is the reported timing.

I can get my head around him leaving for enough money.

I can't get my head around him leaving (and it be announced) prior to knowing whether they're in or out of the playoff.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:27 PM   #1509
GrantDawg

I agree with you Jon. The timing is crazy.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #1510
GrantDawg

Imagine this fun (and there are rumors here): Brian Kelly takes LSU and is replaced at Notre Dame by Luke Fickell. Both of their current teams make the playoffs.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-29-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #1511
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The maximum carnage scenario had me wondering about Oregon, since it could beat the only team that it lost to in regulation. Baylor would also be defeating the one team that it lost to by more than a couple of points.

And if Utah also takes out Oregon, I think that's the only way Ohio State gets in - unless the Iowa/Michigan game is a nail-biter, then you're going to have to take them above another two-loss team that just beat them badly. Or if it wasn't a nail-biter, maybe Iowa gets a hard look.

No matter what happens in that scenario, people will be unhappy. But the committee is supposed to give conference champions the edge in a perceived tie.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #1512
bob
College Starter

If he’s taking a penny less than $250 mill, I’m going to be pissed:

Asked last week whether he would have any interest in other jobs, Kelly gave a strong denial.

"I mean, look, I think Mike Tomlin had the best line, right?" Unless that fairy godmother comes by with that $250 million check, my wife would want to take a look at it first. I'd have to run it by her," said Kelly.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #1513
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
If he’s taking a penny less than $250 mill, I’m going to be pissed:

Asked last week whether he would have any interest in other jobs, Kelly gave a strong denial.

"I mean, look, I think Mike Tomlin had the best line, right?" Unless that fairy godmother comes by with that $250 million check, my wife would want to take a look at it first. I'd have to run it by her," said Kelly.

Are we talking above or under the table?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #1514
bhlloy
Coordinator

It’s either Fickell or Campbell, with an outside shot that Meyer takes his dream job. I think any way you look at it, it could well be an upgrade for ND. Kelly is fine, but hardly a dynamic recruiter and that team is always going to have a ceiling given the talent he’s bringing in.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #1515
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Kelly is not a fun guy to root for. This is when I’m glad that I am just a casual fan and not a fanatic. I can simply care a little less about LSU while he’s there.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:57 PM   #1516
Atocep
Coordinator

If I were Notre Dame then Fickell would be an easy call. I wanted WVU to go harder after him over Neal Brown a couple of years ago. I'm not as sold on Matt Campbell and wouldn't bother giving Urban a call at this point.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:00 PM   #1517
Atocep
Coordinator

Texas probably wondering how they got stuck with Sark last offseason after watching this shit play out.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #1518
GrantDawg

Kelly's reported salary is $15 million a year. He would be the second highest paid NFL coach.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-29-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #1519
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are the academic standards at ND still a factor in recruiting?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #1520
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't get why you would give Matt Campbell the reins over an elite program right now. If he had gotten 9 or 10 wins this season, sure. However, with real expectations this year, he only got 7. I guess you could be wanting to be in a year early rather than a year late if he blows up next year. But this was supposed to be the year he burst onto the national stage. Losses to Iowa and Oklahoma and even Baylor are fine. But Tech and West Virginia, even on the road - If you're an elite coach prospect, you win those games and/or steal one of the other couple. I think the shine has come off of his star. But that doesn't mean an AD can't fall in love with an interview.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #1521
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Texas probably wondering how they got stuck with Sark last offseason after watching this shit play out.

Because, let's be honest, Texas is a worse program than USC, OU, Notre Dame, or LSU.

EDIT: They can break a conference, but they've brought more eyeballs than football prestige for quite a while.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-29-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #1522
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't get why you would give Matt Campbell the reins over an elite program right now. If he had gotten 9 or 10 wins this season, sure. However, with real expectations this year, he only got 7. I guess you could be wanting to be in a year early rather than a year late if he blows up next year. But this was supposed to be the year he burst onto the national stage. Losses to Iowa and Oklahoma and even Baylor are fine. But Tech and West Virginia, even on the road - If you're an elite coach prospect, you win those games and/or steal one of the other couple. I think the shine has come off of his star. But that doesn't mean an AD can't fall in love with an interview.

SI

Supposedly UW offered him 7 mil/year and he said no.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #1523
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Supposedly UW offered him 7 mil/year and he said no.

UW is an upgrade over Iowa State but not quite elite. If it were me and I were comfortable in the northwest, I'd take that without thinking too much. But I wonder if he was gambling on all this chaos giving him a landing spot in an even better place.

SI

Old 11-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #1524
bhlloy
Coordinator

Because despite the W/L record he’s still recruiting at Iowa State? I’d have been very happy with him as the USC hire, but I guess he’s wanting to stay in the Midwest.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #1525
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As mindboggling as it is to me, I think I'm starting to lean toward the Kelly news being legit.

And that's gonna just about do me for weird (unless, as someone mentioned above, Fickell then takes the ND job before the weeks ends too)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:54 PM   #1526
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think ND can wait until Fickell is out of the playoffs. Their recruiting class will already take a hit, but no coach for over a month just isn't sustainable for a program at their level.

And too bad for Fickell. I think he's a really good coach that deserves a job at a program where he could win a National Championship.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #1527
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think ND can wait until Fickell is out of the playoffs.

Well, LSU didn't wait. Not sure I'd bet on ND waiting either.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:37 PM   #1528
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Five years ago Kelly was all but out the door, now he is being targeted and quickly hired by LSU. Lets just call him lucky because as a coach he is overrated.

Notre Dame will hire someone better, no loss at all to them.

I just hope they keep their filthy paws off of PJ Fleck.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-29-2021 at 10:45 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:15 PM   #1529
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Kelly is a weird fit at LSU, but he’s been very successful everywhere he has coached.

Sometimes, I like to think about the worst possible fits for coaching hires and I think Coach O. at Notre Dame or Duke is among my new favorites.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:33 PM   #1530
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think Kelly is a weird fit at LSU, but he’s been very successful everywhere he has coached.

Sometimes, I like to think about the worst possible fits for coaching hires and I think Coach O. at Notre Dame or Duke is among my new favorites.

I agree with weird fit. I don't think you are really swinging for the fences with this hire. He's been alright but it that what LSU is really after? Kelly was working with an elite program and while he won a lot of games, I can think of at least 2-3 times in these particular threads that he was on his way out the door. In 2016 he went 4-8 at Notre Dame. I suppose since he vastly outcoached Davies, Willingham, and Weiss his resume looks better.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:41 PM   #1531
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looking like ND will promote their DC with zero HC experience if Twitter has got this pegged right.

I started to say that is the sort of move that can get an AD fired but then I noticed that the AD is 67 years old. He might not be worried about sticking around THAT much longer so a gamble of that magnitude would make a little more sense.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:50 AM   #1532
Edward64
Head Coach

I like the Brian Kelly hire for the SEC and LSU. There are probably better fit ones but this is probably the best they could have done with where they are. And Kelly has the right experience and proven track record.

I'm not sure it's good for Kelly though. LSU dropped a coach that won it a NC just 2 years ago.

Who am I kidding, with his salary, he's laughing all the way to the bank. But will say I am somewhat disappointed. At a certain point, hasn't a person made enough money, at a top university, national recognition, gotten enough glory etc. to like stay in place or transition out gracefully (e.g. spend a year in the media booth while waiting for the next round of hiring's). Now he's distracted the players, probably messed up ND recruiting etc.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #1533
bob
College Starter

I’m far from a ND insider, but I believe the stance is the DC is largely responsible for the next two recruiting classes, and him leaving could make the whole thing fall apart. Spend the money on a good OC (bye bye Tommy Rees) and it could work.

Kelly is getting ripped but given the new dates for signing days, I’m not sure there is ever a good time to do this anymore. And while he never won a title at ND, he certainly stabilized a mess and won double digits his last 4 years.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #1534
Butter
Coordinator

Venables was in Clemson area last night watching his daughter play middle school basketball and is on a recruiting trip with Dabo today to Kansas and Missouri to visit some commits/potentials.

Not saying he's not taking the OU job, but it's not done yet
Old 11-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #1535
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I like the Brian Kelly hire for the SEC and LSU. There are probably better fit ones but this is probably the best they could have done with where they are. And Kelly has the right experience and proven track record.

I'm not sure it's good for Kelly though. LSU dropped a coach that won it a NC just 2 years ago.

Who am I kidding, with his salary, he's laughing all the way to the bank. But will say I am somewhat disappointed. At a certain point, hasn't a person made enough money, at a top university, national recognition, gotten enough glory etc. to like stay in place or transition out gracefully (e.g. spend a year in the media booth while waiting for the next round of hiring's). Now he's distracted the players, probably messed up ND recruiting etc.

Conversation overheard at the Kelly household over the weekend

"I know we need the money, but..."
"Listen! We're not just doing this for money...
We're doing it for a SH*T LOAD of money!"
"Oh, you're right. And when you're right, you're right."

SI

Old 11-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #1536
Swaggs
Coordinator

I doubt he would leave at this point, but I wonder if anyone has taken a serious run at Dabo. You wouldn't think he'd leave, but I wouldn't have thought Kelly or Riley would either. I assume the only school that could legitimately pull him away would be Alabama when Saban retires, but with as successful as Clemson has been the last 5-10 years and Georgia and UNC much improved over the past few years, I would expect them to have some sort of decline over the next few and could see him making the jump at some point.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #1537
Ksyrup

Napier may well turn out to be a good hire for UF, but with all the big names moving around, it certainly feels like UF had predetermined who they wanted without even considering taking a swing at a big dog, or sold their program short. It's certainly more important to have a good coach rather than a name coach, but UF thinks it's at the level of some of the same schools that are hiring major names, and they apparently didn't even try.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #1538
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Nrian Kelly wasn't cashing in at ND. His salary was middle of the road for a major college. He was making less than Geoff Collins is at Georgia Tech. If the $15 million a year is true, that is more than 5 times what he was making. Very few people can look at that offer and say "no thanks."
Old 11-30-2021, 08:10 AM   #1539
Ksyrup

What's going to be a deeper shade of red/purple? Kelly's face on the sidelines reacting to a bad play/call or when he's sampling some spicy tailgate food before the game?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #1540
Ksyrup

10 years $95M. Not exactly $15M a year but good enough to leave ND I guess. I wonder if that makes it even worse.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:20 AM   #1541
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
10 years $95M. Not exactly $15M a year but good enough to leave ND I guess. I wonder if that makes it even worse.
I am wondering if that number doesn't come from the incentives. So he could make as much as $15 million a year.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #1542
GrantDawg

Kirby is currently making $7 million. If Georgia wins out, is he over/under $10 million next year?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #1543
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Kirby is currently making $7 million. If Georgia wins out, is he over/under $10 million next year?

Over
Old 11-30-2021, 08:59 AM   #1544
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Such is the respect/awe I have for Alabama that (1) Georgia has looked like the best team in the country all season, (2) Alabama needed to go to OT to beat Auburn last week, and (3) Georgia is favored by 6.5.

And I still figure that Alabama is going to win and it somehow won't even be close.

No logic. Just a healthy dose of conditioning from decades of Saban being Saban.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #1545
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Such is the respect/awe I have for Alabama that (1) Georgia has looked like the best team in the country all season, (2) Alabama needed to go to OT to beat Auburn last week, and (3) Georgia is favored by 6.5.

And I still figure that Alabama is going to win and it somehow won't even be close.

No logic. Just a healthy dose of conditioning from decades of Saban being Saban.

I'm here with you. I want Georgia to win just so Alabama isn't in the CFP. The only thing that will make me believe Alabama isn't going to win the title is when they are 100% elminated.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:21 AM   #1546
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Napier may well turn out to be a good hire for UF, but with all the big names moving around, it certainly feels like UF had predetermined who they wanted without even considering taking a swing at a big dog, or sold their program short. It's certainly more important to have a good coach rather than a name coach, but UF thinks it's at the level of some of the same schools that are hiring major names, and they apparently didn't even try.

Paying off Dan Mullen's contract and the rest of his staff has to be a factor, no? I am not saying that they could not find the cash to go after one of these bigger name coaches, but still.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #1547
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know it is a fluid situation but in case anyone else was curious.

10 highest-paid college football coaches: Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly land huge deals
Quote:
10. Ryan Day salary: $6.614 million (Ohio State)
9. James Franklin salary: $7 million (Penn State)
8. Kirby Smart salary: $7.133 million (Georgia)
7. Jimbo Fisher salary: $7.5 million (Texas A&M)
6. Dabo Swinney salary: $8,370,775 (Clemson)
5. David Shaw salary: $8.925 million
4. Mel Tucker salary: $9.5 million (MIchigan State)
3. Nick Saban salary: $9,753,221 million (Alabama)
2. Brian Kelly salary: $9.5 million (LSU)
1. Lincoln Riley salary (estimated): $10-plus million (USC)
Compared to the NFL head coaches.

Quote:
10. Matt Rhule (Panthers, NFL): 8.6 million dollars
9. Urban Meyer (Jaguars, NFL): 9 million dollars
8. John Harbaugh (Ravens, NFL): 9 million dollars
7. Frank Reich (Colts, NFL): 9 million dollars
6. Kyle Shanahan (49ers, NFL): 9.5 million dollars
5. Mike Tomlin (Steelers, NFL): 11.5 million dollars
4. Andy Reid (Chiefs, NFL): 12 million dollars
3. Sean Payton (Saints, NFL): 14 million dollars
2. Pete Carroll (Seahawks, NFL): 14 million dollars
1. Bill Belichick (Patriots, NFL): 18 million dollars
Old 11-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #1548
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Paying off Dan Mullen's contract and the rest of his staff has to be a factor, no? I am not saying that they could not find the cash to go after one of these bigger name coaches, but still.

If UF is half as great a destination as they claim to be and have half the money from all their great donors as they claim, this shouldn't have been much of an issue.

Now, Napier may be exactly what they need, but it feels like this was a done deal weeks ago and perhaps they misread who could be had.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-30-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #1549
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

5. David Shaw salary $8.925 million

That’s some serious coin for a guy who has gone 11-19 (.367) over the past three seasons. Playing in a conference that is slightly stronger than the American Athletic or Mountain West. No wonder USC had to pay Riley so much.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 11-30-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:27 AM   #1550
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
5. David Shaw salary $8.925 million

That’s some serious coin for a guy who has gone 11-19 (.367) over the past three seasons. Playing in a conference that is slightly stronger than the American Athletic or Mountain West. No wonder USC had to pay Riley so much.

This was surprising as well. But then I looked and he started off great at Stanford. Top-12 in 5 of the first 6 seasons. Pretty impressive for a school like Stanford and likely when he got that contract.

They've had a couple of down years now so it will be interesting to see what happens.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote