Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #401
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm excited to see who the Pirates will use at 1B now that Erik Gonzalez (who in most organizations would be a AAA backup middle infield option) is injured. Surely, there is some out of shape AAAA-type guy available somewhere that can hit a little and stand at 1B on defense, but I'm guessing it will be something like one of the back up OF that hit .175.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #402
BYU 14
Coordinator

First action by MLB on Bauer, 7 day paid leave, which I assume the are imposing as a safety net to see if charges will be filed.

MLB: Dodgers' Trevor Bauer placed on administrative leave
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #403
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
In other news, MLB favorites won all 14 games on Friday.

A parlay of chalk would have paid 3700-1.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #404
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
First action by MLB on Bauer, 7 day paid leave, which I assume the are imposing as a safety net to see if charges will be filed.

MLB: Dodgers' Trevor Bauer placed on administrative leave
Safety net? Shouldn't matter, whether charges are being filed is totally irrelevant
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #405
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wonder if MLB was hoping the Dodgers would do something, realized they would not and decided to take him out of the spotlight going into the All Star break.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #406
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm excited to see who the Pirates will use at 1B now that Erik Gonzalez (who in most organizations would be a AAA backup middle infield option) is injured. Surely, there is some out of shape AAAA-type guy available somewhere that can hit a little and stand at 1B on defense, but I'm guessing it will be something like one of the back up OF that hit .175.

Sweet! They found one!

Cardinals Trade 1B John Nogowski To Pirates For Cash Considerations - MLB Trade Rumors

AAA slash line: .195/.304/.297

Sounds about right.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #407
tarcone
Coordinator

And an intradivision rade. JAHAHA

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #408
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Ohtani with 31 home runs in 82 team games. On pace to get close to Maris's record*.

Based on bbref, he has about 3.5 WAR as a hitter and 1.5 WAR as a pitcher. Stretched out that means he's ~7 WAR for hitting and ~3 WAR for pitching by years end. If it happens, a near MVP hitter who is also a #3 starter would probably be the greatest sports feat in quite a while.

It's like if Mo Salah played like he did for Liverpool, but every few games he needed to fill in as keeper and played like Adrian.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #409
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
It's like if Mo Salah played like he did for Liverpool, but every few games he needed to fill in as keeper and played like Adrian.
That is the exact same comparison I was going to use
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #410
Swaggs
Coordinator

Nogowski Watch - Day 1: 2/4 with a BB, 3 runs and a RBI, 1.100 OPS. Pirates Undefeated.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #411
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Nogowski Watch - Day 1: 2/4 with a BB, 3 runs and a RBI, 1.100 OPS. Pirates Undefeated.

Small sample size for sure, but hitting over 500 still.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #412
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Small sample size for sure, but hitting over 500 still.

Even threw a scoreless inning!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:01 PM   #413
PilotMan
Head Coach

These guys are so gassed out in this second round. After all those bombs in the first round that's not unexpected.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #414
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have been a Mets fan for 35 years. I love Alonso as much as I have ever loved any Mets player
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:35 PM   #415
BYU 14
Coordinator

He is a throwback for sure, you can tell how much he enjoys the game
Old 07-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #416
Swaggs
Coordinator

Future All-Star and HR Derby champ, John Nogowski watch: 14 for 28, .500/.548/1.120, 1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP

Pirates: 4-3 in his 7 games. I'm not loving that he is single-handedly ruining the tank.

Last edited by Swaggs : 07-13-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #417
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Theyre a 92 win team with him and a 62 win team without him. Hugely undervalued by WAR.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #418
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Theyre a 92 win team with him and a 62 win team without him. Hugely undervalued by WAR.

Some may say that a .609 BAbip is not sustainable, but they just have not seen him play yet.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #419
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

They've clearly never played Super Baseball Simulator 1.000.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #420
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Future All-Star and HR Derby champ, John Nogowski watch: 14 for 28, .500/.548/1.120, 1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP

Pirates: 4-3 in his 7 games. I'm not loving that he is single-handedly ruining the tank.

After this ringing endorsement, I checked out his stats to see if I should pick him up for my fantasy team. He clearly is better than Castellanos, Gallo and Teoscar Hernandez which I have. Twice as good, because Hernandez .297 + Gallo .239 average = .536. Barely better than .500!
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #421
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jeff Passan from the top rope!

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #422
Atocep
Coordinator

The Dodgers took a kid named Ronan Kopp in the 12th. My son's played with him quite a bit. He has a top 2 round arm but is prone to the biggest implossions I've ever seen from a pitcher. Still, he's mid 90s touching 98, from the left side and the Dodgers track record with pitching development is as good as it gets. If he signs he'll be a fun one to follow.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:40 PM   #423
BYU 14
Coordinator

These AS unis are terrible
Old 07-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #424
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

The design was absolutely terrible. Let's put the abbreviation down the side and cover it up with a logo. Making them both kinda hard to see
Old 07-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #425
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Dodgers took a kid named Ronan Kopp in the 12th. My son's played with him quite a bit. He has a top 2 round arm but is prone to the biggest implossions I've ever seen from a pitcher. Still, he's mid 90s touching 98, from the left side and the Dodgers track record with pitching development is as good as it gets. If he signs he'll be a fun one to follow.

It's crazy how everybody throws in the nineties now. The Reds 20th round pick has hit 97.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #426
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I saw that the Angels took a pitcher with all 20 picks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #427
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I turned the game on, tried to watch for 10 minutes, and turned it back off. All because of these unis.

Growing up in the 60's-70's, and being a huge baseball fan since 1969, meant loving the all-star game. It was a big deal every summer especially starting in 1972 when we had our first color tv. Seeing each player in his team's uniform, in "living color", was a big part of the joy of watching the game. As I kid I could only dream about how cool it would be to actually be at the game and see all of these unis in one place. I loved it when they'd introduce all of the players along the baseline (Carew, Killebrew, Robinson Brooks and Frank, Jackson, Bench, Mays, Clemente, Gibson, and on and on) and the uniforms were a big part of that too.

It was a horrible decision to go to all-star unis at all and throw away the excitement of seeing the best looking their best. Then to come up with crap like this just adds insult to injury.

Somebody had to look at these and say "yeah, that's exactly what we're looking for. These are awesome the fans are in for a treat"
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #428
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I saw that the Angels took a pitcher with all 20 picks.

Has this bug in the game been reported?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #429
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I turned the game on, tried to watch for 10 minutes, and turned it back off. All because of these unis.

Growing up in the 60's-70's, and being a huge baseball fan since 1969, meant loving the all-star game. It was a big deal every summer especially starting in 1972 when we had our first color tv. Seeing each player in his team's uniform, in "living color", was a big part of the joy of watching the game. As I kid I could only dream about how cool it would be to actually be at the game and see all of these unis in one place. I loved it when they'd introduce all of the players along the baseline (Carew, Killebrew, Robinson Brooks and Frank, Jackson, Bench, Mays, Clemente, Gibson, and on and on) and the uniforms were a big part of that too.

It was a horrible decision to go to all-star unis at all and throw away the excitement of seeing the best looking their best. Then to come up with crap like this just adds insult to injury.

Somebody had to look at these and say "yeah, that's exactly what we're looking for. These are awesome the fans are in for a treat"

I said pretty much the same thing, one of the beauties of the game was seeing all the uniforms represented. I am not a complete purist, but some things are best left alone and this is one of them. There is no need to change, for the pure sake of change.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #430
JPhillips
General Manager

I agree, but it wasn't change for change's sake, it was an attempt to sell an all-new All-Star jersey of your favorite player.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #431
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I agree, but it wasn't change for change's sake, it was an attempt to sell an all-new All-Star jersey of your favorite player.

Fair point LOL, since they don't make nearly enough on regular Tatis jerseys that they can't keep in stock
Old 07-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And to appease the uni maker with a prominent logo placement
Old 07-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #433
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And to appease the uni maker with a prominent logo placement

Oh yeah, I realize it's a money grab. I hope the jersey makers in China make a killing on these at $20-$50 a pop. Though I'm hard pressed to think anyone would want one.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #434
Ksyrup

The good ol' days...

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #435
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 07-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #436
cuervo72
Head Coach

Padres gettin' MalcPow lots of birthday runs.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #437
JPhillips
General Manager

Just run to first.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #438
tarcone
Coordinator

Need help please.

In a 9 team NL only 5x5 roto league.

I was offered Trea Turner and Josh Hader for Luis Urias, Yimi Garcia, Milos Mikolas and Anthony desclanni (SF).

What do you guys think? I get rid of the 4 guys as the other guy is in last and wants 4 guys making $1 each.

I get the 2 studs. Is this worth it? Im currently tied for 5th about 6 points out of 1st. It is a very tight league.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:10 PM   #439
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Need help please.

In a 9 team NL only 5x5 roto league.

I was offered Trea Turner and Josh Hader for Luis Urias, Yimi Garcia, Milos Mikolas and Anthony desclanni (SF).

What do you guys think? I get rid of the 4 guys as the other guy is in last and wants 4 guys making $1 each.

I get the 2 studs. Is this worth it? Im currently tied for 5th about 6 points out of 1st. It is a very tight league.

Must be a keeper league? What are the prices of Turner and Hader? The answer appears obvious but without knowing the exact rules its tricky. I dont think at any of the 4 you are giving up anything more than 10 unit players(future upside) so I am sure Id do it and try to win this season.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-18-2021 at 11:10 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:20 PM   #440
tarcone
Coordinator

Turner at 40 and Hader at 24. $7 increase in salary from year to year.

I would definitely not keep either. He is in last and dumping.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:24 AM   #441
Ksyrup

I suppose everyone has seen this play. I didn't get a good look down the line as to whether it was fair or foul. People keep saying the pitcher thought it hit the batter's leg but that doesn't make any sense because why he would run over and scoop the ball away if he thought it was a dead ball? He was trying to touch it because he thought it was foul and apparently was wrong.

Anyway, the other thing about this play that seems wrong is where the 3rd base coach was for the majority of the play. He legit looked like a runner and could have very easily interfered with a throw. In fact, if anyone had been heads up on this play, someone should have either run into him or thrown the ball in his direction and maybe they get something positive out of it. Surely that dude can't be there given where the ball, fielders and runners all were.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-19-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #442
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, that's mildly bugged me for a while. If coaches are supposed to be confined to an area, call it. Otherwise get rid of the box because it means nothing.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #443
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I suppose everyone has seen this play. I didn't get a good look down the line as to whether it was fair or foul. People keep saying the pitcher thought it hit the batter's leg but that doesn't make any sense because why he would run over and scoop the ball away if he thought it was a dead ball? He was trying to touch it because he thought it was foul and apparently was wrong.

Those runs are definitely earned.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #444
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Anyway, the other thing about this play that seems wrong is where the 3rd base coach was for the majority of the play. He legit looked like a runner and could have very easily interfered with a throw. In fact, if anyone had been heads up on this play, someone should have either run into him or thrown the ball in his direction and maybe they get something positive out of it. Surely that dude can't be there given where the ball, fielders and runners all were.

There was a softball coach back 6-8 years ago around here who would run home with his runners if it was a big play. He plowed through the pitcher running to back up home once and was ejected. He had to be guarded on his way out because the pitcher's dad was ready to kick some ass.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I noticed the same thing with the 3B coach, so much so that the first time I saw the clip I expected that he was involved somehow and I was watching him more than I was watching Walker
Old 07-23-2021, 08:55 AM   #446
Ksyrup

Anyone know the reasoning/importance (if any) behind this name?

Old 07-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #447
molson
General Manager

Saw this posted on reddit:

"Cleveland has landmark bridge connecting the east and west sides of town bedecked with giant Art Deco statues called the “Guardians of Traffic.” The bridge happens to end at Progressive Field. So the “Guardians” have kept watch over the park for years."

Still kind of lame though. Sounds likes a throwaway fictional name used on an unlicensed 80's Nintendo baseball video game. Very disappointed it's not the Spiders.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #449
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh. Just finished scrolling that listicle.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #450
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Cleveland Rocks was RIGHT THERE FOR THE TAKING
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote