Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

New Hillary Book

Has anyone seen anything on the new Hillary Clinton bio by Edward Klein? It sounds absolutely outlandish and I personally can't believe this ever occurred, but according to the pre-publish hoopla, Chelsea was conceived in Bermuda during a... what the book describes as rape. I find that hard to even write.

So...I'm thinking, okay....typical author trying to make a buck by making claims that have no basis in anything (and I'm not saying that these have basis either). However, the autho is the former editor-in-chief of New York Times magazine, former foreign editor for Newsweek and a frequent contributor to Vanity Fair (not exactly Rush Limbaugh's resume').

So - I'm thoroughly confused here. It just seems odd that an author who obviously has a pretty good track record would even think about writing something like this. Is he hoping for one final GIGANTIC check?

The other thing is...he supposedly was there in Bermuda when it occurred. Were he and Bill friends? Should I even waste my time posting this?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Has anyone seen anything on the new Hillary Clinton bio by Edward Klein? It sounds absolutely outlandish and I personally can't believe this ever occurred, but according to the pre-publish hoopla, Chelsea was conceived in Bermuda during a... what the book describes as rape. I find that hard to even write.
Anything that goes that far is total tripe and not worth the time to even refute. Saying that Chelsea was conceived by rape? It's sickening and the author should be taken behind the woodshed for even making that claim. Even if it was true (which I put at a chance of about 0.001%), writing something like that in a book shows a remarkable lack of judgement.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

http://drudgereport.com/flash3ek.htm
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels

Wow, Amazon has this as coming out June 21st. I can't decide if this is a little late to start the crazy publicity stuff, or just the right time. Either way I guess I'll be keeping my eyes on this one. Hillary is one of those characters that I feel like I don't ultimately know at all, and also that it's been strategically set up that way, so hopefully there will be some substantive content and not just a bunch of incendiary sensationalism.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow
...so hopefully there will be some substantive content and not just a bunch of incendiary sensationalism.

Sounds like you may be disappointed. I'm no Hillary fan certainly, but I have to agree with Arles on this one.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 06-13-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hmm ... my guess is that he's looking for his first best-seller since 1996.

His previous bio of Jackie Onassis (his former editor at Doubleday) was described by one Amazon customer reviewer as painting her as ... a modern day Anna Nichole Smith for her power and money-hungry ways .

Now, whether that's true or not, I dare say he isn't allergic to painting with some rather extreme colors.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Glenn Beck was trashing this book this morning, which means is must be devoid of facts even for a right wing press book.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I don't know that Hillary would have a libel case, but I'm pretty sure Bill would. Then again, when you read the excerpt, it could be that Drudge is taking that statement (by one of those %^*!ing unnamed sources) out of context.

If he's not, then Mr. Klein has now taken himself from the NYTimes to Hustler magazine (remember Flynt publishing those "exposes" about Bush taking his girlfriend to get an abortion?). What a proud legacy that must be.