Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Calhoun answers, ties it at 14 with 1:58 left in the half. Converted several 3rd downs to keep the drive going, finally scored on a swing pass to the FB on 3rd & goal from the 2.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pooch kick backfires, gives Buford good field position. One long run & a few decent players later, 5'7 170 RB Cody Getz runs over a DB for his third TD of the first half. It's 21-14 Buford with 0:44 left in the half. 6 play 56 yd drive that needed just 70 seconds.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

While I'm running errands & having dinner, Buford cruises to their second straight Class AA title 45-21.

Simply too much Cody Getz, as the little back goes for a big 230 yds & 4 TD's on 23 carries. Wasn't the prettiest game in the world, as the teams combined for 26 penalties for 185 yds.

When I say "little" back, here's a picture that gives you some idea of what I mean.

And here's what happens when little plays really really big

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-12-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In the Class AAAA title game, Tucker looked like Marist as they ran more than nine minutes off the clock during a 19 play, 76 yd drive that led to a FG and a 3-0 lead for the Tigers.

Defense held Marist and now in the middle of the 2nd quarter Tucker is driving at the War Eagle 35.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Drive stalls, Tucker eventual punts Marist down to the 5 yd line with 4:02 left in the half, still 3-0 Tucker.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tucker blows up the option twice then sacks the QB for the safety, 5-0 Tucker and they'll receive with 2:32 left in the half.

edited to add

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-12-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A couple of nice plays from Jonathan Davis leads to another Tucker field goal with 0:05 left in the half, Tucker extends their lead to 8-0.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A solid Tucker drive to start the second half turns to dust with an illegal block on a 7 yard loss that pushed the Tiger into 1st and long they couldn't get out of. Punt it away, let Marist get six yards on 2 plays before knocking a pass away with a great timing hit by the DB.

South Alabama bound punter for Marist booms one out, Tucker takes over at their own 35 with 4:46 left in the 3rd quarter, still leading 8-0.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tucker does little & has to punt late in the 3rd quarter, Marist gets a couple of nice runs headed to the the final minute of the quarter & finds themselves at the Tucker 38 with 3rd & 5 as the third period ends.

Tucker has pretty much dominated the game on the stat sheet & on the field but the inability to get more than a FG on offense means this is still a one possession game with a long way to go.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

11:19 left in regulation, Marist hits a 50 yd FG to cut the lead to 8-3.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Momentum all with Marist as they stuff two straight runs by Tucker. Tigers respond with a clutch 3rd & 7 pass to move the chains and get the clock inside 9 minutes.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Great gutsy call on third & nine, back spins off one tackler & powers through another to get the first down by just enough. Clock down to 8:09 but Tucker gets flagged for breaking the huddle with 12 men, backs them up to their own 38 and brings up 1st & 15.

edit: clock rolls inside seven minutes, now 3rd & about 4 after a couple of more runs. And this time it's the QB Chris Beck who avoided the rush, stepped out of one tackle & lowered his shoulder to get another Tucker first down. Clock now at 6:05 and counting, 1st & 10 at the Marist 42.

edit again: 2nd & 9, up the middle goes another RB for a big first down with 4:58 remaining.

editeditedit: Timeout Marist with 3:42 left, 3rd & about 9 for the Tigers after a short run and a nice defensive play to trip up Beck as he tried to get to the corner on a run.

edity: Beck rolls right & flips a pass downfield to Jonathan Davis who rumbles down to the Marist 16 before stepping oob. Davis leaps over the pile to the 12 with 3:20 & counting.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-12-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TOUCHDOWN TUCKER !!!

Jonathan Davis gets a block and dove to the pylon to give Tucker a 15-3 lead with 2:47 remaining.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Inside two minutes to go, third down Marist back around their own 16. And it's knocked away on a bomb inside Tucker territory in ... com ... plete.
4th & 14 for Marist with 1:52.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-12-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Intercepted by A.J. Bouye in Tiger territory with just 99 seconds to go.

Nice way to head to his college career down at UCF.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-12-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tigers win it 15-3, for the school's first state championship.

One clutch third down conversion after another in the fourth quarter, a dominating performance by the defense, just a great performance and a lot of fun to watch finally happen.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #67
BYU 14
Coordinator

What could have been

Tonight we led undefeated and #1 Centennial 7-0 with 4:08 left in the first half. Within that last 4:08 we roughed the Kicker after stopping them and they ended up socring. Then, they got the ball back with 30 seconds left and no time outs and scored then our CB slipped as time ran out in the first half for a 13-7 halftime lead. The second half was played fairly even, but they broke an 80 yard run to seal the deal and capture their third straight Arizona 5A II Title 20-7. Westview finishes 12-2 and we are the runner-up for the second straight year.

It was a great season overall, though I am a quite down now, so I will probably relish it more in a week or two. Some players and Coaches never even get the chance to play for it all at any level, so I have to be grateful for that. In fact over 30 years now combined as a player and coach and last Season was my first Championship game in any capacity.

The good news is we only lose 3 starters on Offense and though we lose 6 on defense, we have some good young players ready to step up so we will likely go into next Season ranked 2nd or 3rd in 5A II again...Usually I welcome the break at the end of the Season, but I wish we could start again next week

We left Cardinals (University of Phoenix) Stadium with the 5A I Championship game between Hamilton and Brophy tied 0-0 late in the first quarter.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tough one BYU, but a great season nonetheless. And a great run that's poised to continue as well. Congrats to you and the whole team.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting little quirk I saw over at gavsv.com, concerning the role of the LaGrange Grangers and state titles this decade. Could this bode well for underdog Flowery Branch tomorrow afternoon at 2?

2000 - Swainsboro State Champs beat LG in the 2nd round
2001 - LG State Champs
2002 - Screven State Champs beat LG in the quarters
2003 - LG State Champs
2004 - LG State Champs
2005 - Peach Co.State Champs beat LG in the semis
2006 - Peach Co. State Champs beat LG in the 2nd round
2007 - Perry beat LG in the first round (this is still an aberration)
2008 - FB ??? beat LG in semis

Also, a cool moment for FB quarterback Connor Shaw earlier today reported in the AJC. He's sitting in class this morning like any other kid, gets called to his dad's office (dad is head FB coach), someone wanted to see him. It's Stanford HC Jim Harbaugh who flew in unannounced with a scholarship offer in hand. Shaw will likely pick between the Cardinal and Georgia Tech who offered him a chance to join his brother earlier this year.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 AM   #70
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Just got in from the game, celebration in the school parking lot, and then after-party. Wow. It has been a very, very, very long time coming. Fun to soak this one in. Will probably post more in the morning, but I'm exhausted and giddy right now.

GO YOU TIGERS!!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From ajc.com

Here's a partial list of commits/recruits taking part in the championship games at the Georgia Dome this weekend.

Buford
Dallas Lee, OL - Committed to UGA
Andrew Sachais, DL - Offer from Air Force, Ball St.
Cody Getz, RB - Offer from Air Force

Cairo
Angelo Pease, QB - Offers from MTSU, Ga Southern, others interested
Logan Bennett, DE - Offers from MTSU, South Ala., Ga Southern
Anthony Brown, DE - Offers from MTSU., Georgia Southern
Reginald Bryant, RB - Offers from NC St. and Louisville
Montavious Williams, DT - Committed to Troy

Calhoun
Eric McDaniel, OL - Committed to Purdue

Camden County
Deangelo Smith, WR - Committed to S.Carolina
Robert Williams, FS - Offers from Navy, Toledo
Marquevious Myers, FB/DE - Offers from Memphis, MTSU., Georgia St.
Michael Green, DB - Offers from East Carolina, Indiana, Illinois
Ryan Attaway, OL - Offers from Memphis, Fla. International, Georgia St.
Justin Orr, LB - Committed to Georgia St.

Emanuel County Institute
Washaun Ealey, RB - Committed to UGA
J.C. Lanier, OL - Committed to Ga Tech
Dexter Moody, LB/FB/DE - Committed to UGA
Mark Flott, LB - Offers from Georgia Southern, Furman

Flowery Branch
Izaan Cross, DE - Ga Tech leads nearly two dozen offers
Daniel Drummond,RB - Committed to Ga Tech
Greg Palmer, DB - Interest from UAB, Wofford
Chris Lipscomb, DB - Offer from Presbyterian

Marist
Chris Williamson, P - Committed to South Ala.

Peachtree Ridge
Kevin Minter, LB - Committed to LSU
Mitchell Williford, WR/DB - Offer from Air Force
Connor Norman, DB - Offer from Army

Tucker
Drayton Calhoun, RB - Committed to LSU
Jonathan Davis,LB - S.Carolina leads(?) BC and other sniffing around
A.J. Bouye, DB - Committed to Central Fla.
Tevin Holliman, LB - Offers from Central Fla., Buffalo, Akron, Georgia St.
Deion Roberson, DE - Offers from Louisville, NC St., WVU, Iowa St., Memphis

Wesleyan
Josh Parrish, OL/DL - Offer from Tenn. Tech
Andrew Patrick, OL - Offer from Air Force
Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you like smash mouth, you really ought to try watching ECI. You've heard of three yds & a cloud of dust? Their offense seems designed to gain 2.5 yds per carry (minus the odd long run by Ealey). The first quarter just ended and they've converted 2/3 fourth down tries. 7-0 Wesleyan on a pass that was much more effective than pretty.

edit to add: Now tied 7-7 after ECI goes 19 plays, 60 yds in 7:59, capped by Washaun Ealey's 2 yd leap. On the ensuing kickoff the kicker made a shoestring tackle at his own 44 to save a score.

edit 2x: 41 yd burst right up the middle puts Wesleyan back in front 14-7.

edit 3x: Wolves throw an INT, ECI botches an option and loses 25 yds. Wesleyan blocks the ensuing punt but then boinks a FGA off the left upright. Still 14-7 Wolves with a minute left in the half.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-13-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Whoa. ECI just running into the line headed to the half & Ealey comes up gimpy, had to be helped off the field. Walking better on the sideline now but scary stuff even if it did just look like an ankle instead of something more serious.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A pair of ECI fumbles in the third quarter and it's 26-7 Wesleyan, inside 4 mins left in Q3. Ealey is still in for the Bulldogs but he's clearly not as effective, they're getting almost as much out of Moody carrying the ball at this point.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

First play of the 4th quarter is an Ealey touchdown, followed by a direct snap to Ealey for the 2 point conversion. Wesleyan still on top 26-15 with 11:56 left in regulation.

edit to add: A failed onside kick gives Wesleyan a short field, a UGA-ready unsportsmanlike call on Moody gives them a first down at the 13, and the little sophomore Karempelis gets his second TD of the day on a short pass and it's 33-15 Wolves with 7:38 left.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-13-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wesleyan pulls the stunner 33-21, denying ECI's bid for back to back undefeated state titles.

Sophomore RB Kyle Karempelis and Junior QB Connor Welton did more than enough with the ball mixing the pass with a surprisingly effective running game while the defense limited the damage by UGA-signee Washaun Ealey without the ball (in spite of 3 TD's) to secure the upset and earn a state title in only the tenth year of the football program at the school.

Region 8-A ... REPRESENT
Old 12-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

14 plays, 79 yds, 6:59 off the clock leads to a Flowery Branch field goal on the opening drive of the game. 3-0 Falcons, Cairo now starts from their own 29 with 4:55 left in the 1st quarter.

edit to add: 6-0 with 9:34 left in the half. Another FG this time from 42 yds, 10 plays, 37 yds, 3:16 off the clock.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-13-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cairo takes a 7-6 lead before the half, expands that to 14-6 but FB fights back to tie it at 14. Alas, too more Cairo, too much QB & RB play and the Syrupmakers pull away to win 28-14, their first title since 1990.

Hall County schools remain without a state championship in football.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tied at 7 after an easy touchdown following an INT, Peachtree Ridge over just regained the lead over Camden Co. 14-7 with a 94 yd run by one of the faster fullbacks you're likely to see. 8:41 left in the third quarter.

edit to add: With 7:19 left in the third we're tied again at 14 on an 85 yd pass for Camden.

Camden takes the lead with a more conventional drive, holds on for the title with an INT to seal the deal with less than two minutes to play and PR driving across midfield.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-13-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #80
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Championship weekend in North Carolina football this weekend. Don't have much personal investment as my old HS got bumped in the first round this year. At any rate:

1-A
Mount Airy 37, Williamston 14 (Mayberry wins a state title. Wonder what Andy Taylor would say about that? First state title for Mount Airy since 1948.)

1-AA
Thomasville 42, East Bladen 13 (Thomasville is a 1-AA superpower, winning their fifth 1-AA championship in a row)

2-A
Newton-Conover 51, Tarboro 28 (first title for N-C)

2-AA
Reidsville 24, East Lincoln 7 (32 wins in a row for Reidsville, fourth state title this decade)

3-A
West Rowan 35, West Craven 7 (first state title for West Rowan)

3-AA
Greensboro Dudley 34, Kannapolis AL Brown 18 (21 wins in a row for Dudley, second straight championship)

4-A
Fayetteville 71st 28, Fayetteville Douglas Byrd 7 (71st's second title ever and first one since 1986)

4-AA will be tomorrow between Richmond County, which was the last superpower in North Carolina before the Charlotte Independence national power dynasty and Fayetteville Jack Britt, a relatively new school that carved out a bunch of kids from the aforementioned 71st and has steadily become a strong team in its own right.

Due to quirks in geography and how the school sizes shook out when structuring the playoff brackets, all four teams from the 4-AA and 4-A brackets originated from the same conference, which is an unheard-of feat. Basically, the first split amongst the 64 4-A teams that made the playoffs is splitting them into the 32 largest and smallest, which shuffled Richmond and Britt to the 4-AA bracket and the other two to the 4-A bracket. Then, the teams in each bracket were split east/west and apparently the split line ran through Fayetteville at the 4-A level as 71st went west while Byrd went east. Richmond was more easily drawn into the west in the 4-AA bracket, which is fairly common for them as Richmond County is not that far from Charlotte. So, that's how you end up with four teams from the same conference playing for two different state championships.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 12-13-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote