Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

2011 massive MLB Tournament

As if I didn't have enough projects going, I'm adding 1 more to the mix (I'm going to be dead by the time I'm 40 just because I have so many computer and video and board game projects going on all at once!)

I am using the DICE baseball board game to do a 2011 MLB tournament. DICE baseball is part of the gen1400 gaming series, and they have a great website, as well as being part of Delphi forums. George, the creator of the gen1400 gaming series, stays plenty busy but is a great guy to buy stuff from. Unfortunately, the Gen1400 forums just don't see a lot of action anymore, so even though I will still be putting this up on those forums, I will also be putting it up here where there are many more viewers.

So this is how it's going to work. I've grouped the 30 teams into 5 groups, 6 teams each, using a random dice roller. 1 team from each division (for the purposes of making it even, I just put Houston in the AL West a couple seasons early) and each group will have a division winner from the real 2011 MLB standings, 2nd place, 3rd place, 4th place, 5th place. That means that 1 group will have 2 division winners and so on. Once the groups are decided, they will be individually seeded by record among the 6 teams in the group. I already have the groups figured out, and for the most part things held true to course, but there are a couple groups where the 3rd place team had a better record than the 2nd place team, and so on. Each team will play each other team in their group twice, once home and once away, making 10 games for each team in each group. The top 3 teams in each group, along with the best 4th place team will advance to the 16 team championship bracket, and the other 14 teams will go to the consolation bracket which will be triple elimination (I'll explain why later).

I will announce the groups later, but for now, I need to cover some ground rules:

Rosters and Players With Multiple Cards (Teams)

Everybody that had 1 IP or 1 AB for a major league team got a card, even if that's really all he had is 1 AB or 1 IP, so as you can imagine some of the rosters are quite large. Of course, you've always got some players that played with multiple teams, and the same is true for the 2011 MLB season. Several players played with 2 different teams, and a couple players played with 3 different teams. I didn't find anybody that played with 4 or more MLB teams in the same season. So the way I did this, the fairest way I could think of is this: Doesn't matter if a player played with 1 team from April to May, then another team for the rest of the season. That would have taken entirely too long to try to calculate so what I've done is this.

The team that the player started the season with, in this tournament, he'll play the first 5 games of group play with that team. Then the team he finished the season with will get him for the last 5 games of group play and all of bracket play. For instance, as an example, say a player started the season with Kansas City, and got traded to Atlanta midway through the season and finished in Atlanta. In this tournament, he'll be on the KC roster for the first 5 games, and the Atlanta roster for the last 5 games of group play and all of bracket play, until his team is eliminated.. Now for those couple players that played with 3 different teams, the first team gets him for the first 5 games of group play, 2nd team gets him for Games 6,7,8 of group play, and the 3rd team gets him for Games 9,10 of group play, plus all of bracket play, until his team is eliminated.

Playing Time- Position Players

The ground rules for this are as follows: Each player must start 1 game of group play, and no player can start more than 3 consecutive games of group play. The max a player can play in group play is 8 games. To calculate this, I simply took the number of appearances for a player and divided it by 162, and then of course multiplied it by 10, then rounded up or down, to get the number of games each player would start. If a player would have started 9 or 10 games, I maxed it out at 8. There are several players for each team that have to start in 8 games of group play, so the format for them will be: playing Games 1-3, sitting game 4, playing games 5-7, sitting game 8, and playing games 9-10. That means teams could have some very funky line-ups in Games 4 and 8.

Now, what constitutes credit for a start? For position players, it is simply 1 official AB plus 1 full inning in the field defensively. That means that if a players first AB is a walk, hit by pitch, sacrifice, he must bat again to get credit for the start. For the DH (I forgot to mention, DH rule applies in every single game), he must have 2 official ABs.

With this set-up, by doing the math, 9 times 10 equals 90, so every team has 90 starts to get credit for. In doing the figures, pretty much no team had exactly 90. Most teams were actually over 90, and a few teams were under 90. Those teams that are over 90, their hands are a little more tied. Those teams that are under 90, well, they get the freedom of starting whoever they want in game 10 (except for those players that were maxed out at 8 starts) as long as everybody on the roster has gotten their minimum # of starts in.

For those players that play for multiple teams, they max out at 4 starts per team. They would either play games 1-2, 4-5 and sit game 3, or play games 6-7, 9-10 and sit game 8, depending on when they are with the team.

Playing Time for Pitchers

Each team has a set starting rotation of anywhere from 6-10 starters. A couple teams had a lot of players who were only starting pitchers, so they might be going with a 9 or 10 man rotation in the tournament. Others didn't have that luxury and had to go with a smaller rotation. Most teams have at least 1 or 2 pitchers that both started and relieved in the 2011 season that will be coming out of the bullpen, simply because I wanted to try and get every team 1 or 2 long relievers in the pen.

I am following the rest rules that apply in DICE baseball, and am going to try and get each relief pitcher 1 appearance in group play, even if it means he only pitches to 1 batter. My goal is to make sure every reliever gets an appearance before any relief pitcher gets a 2nd appearance. This way it randomizes things and I can't just bring in 1 pitcher to dominate out of the bullpen.

Because I know somebody is going to ask, I'm going to briefly explain the bracket situation. Nothing will change for pitchers, they will stick with the scheduled rotation and I will still try to make sure no relief pitcher has 2 more appearances than another pitcher. For position players, the minimum starts will be reset to 1 for each player. As I mentioned, with some teams, they have players that will not get all their required starts in group play, so it'll be a plus 1 for them. As an example, there is 1 team that has 99 starts scheduled for group play. Obviously, 9 players will not get their required starts in for group play. That means they will have to start twice in bracket play. I hope that makes sense as I couldn't figure out a better way to explain it.

Now, since most teams have a position player roster of over 20 players, that means it would take a minimum of 3 games for everybody to get their required starts in bracket play. Hence the reason the consolation bracket will be triple elimination, to give everybody a chance to get their starts. For the championship bracket, the First Round and Quarterfinals will be best of 5, with the semifinals and championship series being best of 7. The min # of starts will reset after every single round, so for those teams that keep advancing, they MUST find a way to get every player a start in every series.

Whew! Now that I've wrote a book covering the rules of this tournament, now I'm ready to take questions, comments, concerns, etc.

Aside from that, I will reveal the groups tonight. The first round of Group A will be completed tonight and I'll report on that as well.

collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

ok, sorry for the delay folks, real life gets in the way, and I wanted to concentrate a bit on my 2 FBCB projects since those are Interactive.

The groups are ready to be announced, and again, all 5 groups have had the 6 involved teams seeded by final 2011 MLB record. Here we go:

Group A

#1- Arizona Diamondbacks (94-68)
#2- St. Louis Cardinals (90-72)
#3- Boston Red Sox (90-72)
#4- Oakland Athletics (74-88)
#5- New York Mets (77-85)
#6- Minnesota Twins (63-99)

St. Louis won a coin toss to get the #2 seed in the group, but really, the seeds don't matter other than the order of when you'll play each team.

Group B

#1- Philadelphia Phillies (102-60)
#2- Detroit Tigers (95-67)
#3- San Francisco Giants (86-76)
#4- Cincinnati Reds (79-83)
#5- Toronto Blue Jays (81-81)
#6- Houston Astros (56-106)

The seedings in this group have been completely screwed up, as in my spreadsheet I had Toronto and Cincinnati switched around for some reason. Probably because it is one of those situations where Cincinnati finished 3rd in their division while Toronto finished 4th. For this Group only, a team with a better record will be seeded under a team with a worse record. Cincinnati will remain the 4 seed despite winning 2 games less than Toronto in the actual 2011 season. It'll just make things easier in the long run.

Group C

#1- Milwaukee Brewers (96-66)
#2- Tampa Bay Rays (91-71)
#3- Chicago White Sox (79-83)
#4- Florida Marlins (72-90)
#5- San Diego Padres (71-91)
#6- Seattle Mariners (67-95)

Just an ugly group here, as 4 of the 6 teams have sub .500 records. That means 1 team (maybe even 2 teams if Group C gets the wildcard spot) with a sub-.500 record in the real 2011 season will make it to the 16 team championship bracket here. Should be interesting.

Group D

#1- Texas Rangers (96-66)
#2- Washington Nationals (80-81)
#3- Cleveland Indians (80-82)
#4- Colorado Rockies (73-89)
#5- Pittsburgh Pirates (72-90)
#6- Baltimore Orioles (69-93)

On paper, Texas is the overwhelming favorite to win this group, and should do so easily. Washington lucks into the #2 seed in the group by having a game cancelled during the real 2011 season. Either way, they still would have been a #2 or #3 seed, so no big deal.

Group E

#1- New York Yankees (97-65)
#2- Atlanta Braves (89-73)
#3- Los Angeles Angels (86-76)
#4- Los Angeles Dodgers (82-79)
#5- Kansas City Royals (71-91)
#6- Chicago Cubs (71-91)

Kansas City won the coin flip for the #5 seed. All that means is that they get to avoid the Yankees in their first game. All 3 of the teams I follow (KC, Atlanta, Cubs) are in this group, and 2 of the 3 are likely to be in the consolation bracket. How fitting is it that not only are both the Dodgers and Angles in the same group, but that they will open up against each other? I didn't plan it that way, that's just how the dice rolled.

So there you have the groups, I'll be glad to take predictions on the 3 teams advancing out of each group, the wildcard, and so on.

Round 1 of Groups A and B are completed. I'll post Group A Round 1 results soon, and probably won't have time to get to the Group B Round 1 results until tomorrow.

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 08-28-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group A, Round 1, Game 1

#6 Minnesota at #1 Arizona

Starting Pitchers

Carl Pavano (MIN) vs. Ian Kennedy (ARI)

Game Recap

The Twins exploded for 4 runs in the top of the 9th inning off normally reliable Arizona closer J.J. Putz to get a 6-3 upset win to open up the tournament. Minnesota batted around in the 9th, getting 5 singles and a double, but will play their next game without Ben Revere and Alexi Casilla, who were both ejected and based on the tournament rules are suspended for the next game.

WP: Matt Capps
LP: J.J. Putz
SV: Glen Perkins
BS: J.J. Putz

Players of the Game

Minnesota- SS Tsuyoshi Nishioka -- 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
Arizona- 2B Kelly Johnson -- 2-5, 2 2B, 2 runs scored

Group A, Round 1, Game 2

#5 New York Mets at #2 St. Louis

Starting Pitchers

Mike Pelfrey (NYM) vs. Kyle Lohse (StL)

Game Recap

This one was all Cardinals, as they scored early and often to open up in a big way, winning 11-1. St. Louis hit 4 homers in the game, 2 by Lance Berkman and 1 each by Yadier Molina and Albert Pujols. The Mets needed 6 pitchers in this one as Pelfrey didn't make it through the 4th. Although he won't get the POTG for St. Louis, he easily could have, as Lohse went 8 innings and allowed just 5 hits. New York avoided the shutout by scoring their lone run in the 9th, but surprisingly their player of the game is not the player that had their RBI. Take a look.

Players of the Game

New York Mets- 3B David Wright -- 3-4, 2B
St. Louis- RF Lance Berkman -- 3-4, 2 HR, 3 RBI, BB

Group A, Round 1, Game 3

#4 Oakland at #3 Boston

Starting Pitchers

Trevor Cahill (OAK) vs. Josh Beckett (BOS)

Game Recap

The Red Sox used a 3 run 3rd inning and a 2 run 5th inning to get a 5-2 victory, as Josh Beckett pitched 6 1/3 innings and gave up just 1 earned run. Oakland led off the scoring with a David Dejesus solo homer, but in the 3rd Boston got 5 singles and a walk as they batted around. The 5th inning saw Boston get walked twice, along with a single and a double. Carl Crawford left with an injury in the top of the 7th, and per my rules, will miss the next game. I'm making any ejections or injuries basically mean that the player misses the next game. Honestly, no standout players on either team this game, just a little thing here, little thing there, so to the POTG awards we go:

Players of the Game

Oakland- RF David Dejesus -- 2-4, HR, 2 RBI
Boston- 1B Adrian Gonzalez -- 3-4, RBI
Old 04-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

I would appreciate any and all feedback for my group play format. I wanted to include a little bit more than just quick recaps, but not go overboard with box scores and scoring summaries, etc. I think for bracket player, I will probably have box scores and scoring summaries. If you guys think it is a good one, I'll leave it as is, if you can think of something that could be improved or that you would really like to see in the group round recaps, please let me know. Hope to hear from some of you.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group B, Round 1, Game 1

#6 Houston @ #1 Philadelphia

Starting Pitchers

Brett Myers (HOU) vs. Roy Halladay (PHI)

Game Recap

Philadelphia- 5, Houston- 4 (11 innings) -- In a back and forth game that saw several lead changes, the Phillies finally got it done in extra innings. Carlos Ruiz led off the bottom of the 11th with a walk, and Dane Sardinha pinch ran for him. After a Ross Gload line out to third, John Mayberry laced a double to the gap in right center. With Sardinha's 88 speed, he scored easily to walk off for Philadelphia.

WP: Andrew Carpenter
LP: Aneury Rodriguez

Group B, Round 1, Game 2

#5 Toronto vs. #2 Detroit

Starting Pitchers

Ricky Romero (TOR) vs. Justin Verlander (DET)

Game Recap

Toronto- 6, Detroit- 1 -- The first of 2 games in this first round of Group B that got shuffled around thanks to incorrect initial seeding that wasn't caught until later, Ricky Romero pitched a complete game gem for the Blue Jays. He allowed 1 hit in the game, a solo homer to Ryan Raburn with 1 out in the 9th inning, very close to history. Toronto used a pair of 3 run innings to put it away, as Yunel Escobar hit a 3 run homer in the 2nd inning, and Aaron Hill had an RBI single and John McDonald had a 2 RBI double in the 8th.

WP: Ricky Romero
LP: Justin Verlander

Group B, Round 1, Game 3

#4 Cincinnati at #3 San Francisco

Starting Pitchers

Bronson Arroyo (CIN) vs. Tim Lincecum (SF)

Game Recap

San Francisco- 1, Cincinnati- 0 -- This one was a classic pitching duel, with both starters going deep into the 7th inning before turning it over to the bullpens. While both teams had a fair amount of base runners, neither team could scratch across a run, that is until Nate Schierholtz hit a solo homer in the bottom of the 4th for the Giants. Holding that lead didn't come easy for San Fran, while Javier Lopez pitched a perfect 8th, Brian Wilson wasn't as sharp, giving up 2 base hits to open the top of the 9th. He then got Paul Janish to hit into a fielders choice, struck out Drew Stubbs, and picked Ryan Hanigan off of 2nd base to end the game in a most unconventional way.

WP: Tim Lincecum
LP: Bronson Arroyo
SV: Brian Wilson

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 08-28-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group C, Round 1, Game 1

#6 Seattle at #1 Milwaukee

Starting Pitchers

Felix Hernandez (SEA) vs. Yovani Gallardo (MIL)

Game Recap

Seattle- 6, Milwaukee- 3 -- This game started out right for the Brewers as Rickie Weeks hit a leadoff homer in the bottom of the 1st, but in the top of the 2nd, Jack Wilson homered to tie it at 1, and the Mariners would proceed to score twice more in the 2nd. After Milwaukee tied it at 3 in the 5th, Miguel Olivo came through with a big 2 run homer in the top of the 7th as Seattle becomes the 2nd #6 seed in group play to beat a #1 seed.

WP: Felix Hernandez
LP: Sergio Mitre
SV: Cesar Jimenez

Group C, Round 1, Game 2

#5 San Diego at #2 Tampa Bay

Starting Pitchers

Mat Latos (SD) vs. James Shields (TB)

Game Recap

Tampa Bay- 5, San Diego- 2 -- James Shields pitched 8 innings of 2 run ball and Tampa Bay sent 8 men to the plate in the bottom of the 8th, getting an RBI double from Matt Joyce and a 2 run homer from Kelly Shoppach to put the game away. J.P. Howell pitched the 9th to record the save.

WP: James Shields
LP: Ernesto Frieri
SV: J.P. Howell

Group C, Round 1, Game 3

#4 Florida at #3 Chicago White Sox

Starting Pitchers

Ricky Nolasco (FLA) vs. Mark Buehrle (CWS)

Game Recap

Florida- 10, Chicago White Sox- 4 -- Mark Buehrle was anything but sharp in this one, as he lasted just 4 innings and gave up 6 runs. The big damage was done in the 1st inning, when the Marlins sent 10 men to the plate and got 4 runs. The White Sox tried to fight back, getting back to back homers from Adam Dunn and Carlos Quentin in the bottom of the 5th, but Florida added 1 in the 6th and 2 in the 7th to put it away. A wild one for special results, as Paul Konerko of the White Sox was caught with an illegal bat and ejected in the first inning. Also, Juan Pierre was injured in the top of the 5th running down a fly ball, and for Florida, Gaby Sanchez was injured in the bottom of the 5th. All 3 players will miss the next game for their teams.

WP: Ricky Nolasco
LP: Mark Buehrle
Old 05-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group D, Round 1, Game 1

#6 Baltimore at #1 Texas

Starting Pitchers

Jeremy Guthrie (BAL) vs. C.J. Wilson (TEX)

Game Recap

Baltimore- 7, Texas- 5 -- The Orioles become the 3rd of 4 #6 seeds that have played so far to beat the top seed in their group. After Texas went up 4-1 after 2 innings thanks to homers from Nelson Cruz and Yorvit Torrealba, Baltimore's Matt Wieters answered with a 3 run shot in the top of the 3rd to tie it at 4. Nolan Reimold had a solo shot in the top of the 4th and the Orioles would hold the lead the rest of the game. Baltimore closer Jim Johnson inherited trouble in the bottom of the 9th with Baltimore up 7-4, as Mark Worrell allowed to base runners to start the inning. Johnson got Torrealba to hit into a double play, then David Murphy tripled home a run, but Ian Kinsler flew out as the #6 seeds continue to shock.

WP: Jeremy Guthrie
LP: C.J. Wilson
SV: Jim Johnson

Group D, Round 1, Game 2

#5 Pittsburgh at #2 Washington

Starting Pitchers

Charlie Morton (PIT) vs. John Lannan (WAS)

Game Recap

Pittsburgh- 3, Washington- 1 -- Despite pounding out 13 hits in the game, the Nationals just couldn't find a way to get any runs across. Laynce Nix had a solo shot in the 2nd inning to account for Washington's only run of the game. The Nats left runners on base in every inning except the 6th inning, the only inning they went 1-2-3. Pittsburgh got 2 in the 4th on a number of singles and walks, then got a solo shot from Pedro Alvarez in the 5th for some insurance. Washington left the bases loaded in the 9th, sandwiching 2 singles and a walk around 3 strikeouts.

WP: Charlie Morton
LP: John Lannan
SV: Jason Grilli

Group D, Round 1, Game 3

#4 Colorado at #3 Cleveland

Starting Pitchers

Jhoulys Chacin (COL) vs. Justin Masterson (CLE)

Game Recap

Cleveland- 9, Colorado- 0 -- No trouble for the Indians in this one, as the bats finally came to life after 4 innings. Grady Sizemore lead off the bottom of the 1st with a homer, and that was the only run through 4. Cleveland would go on to score 2 in the 5th and 3 each in the 7th and 8th, getting 17 hits total. Shin-Soo Choo pretty much made it official with a monster 3 run shot in the bottom of the 8th.

WP: Justin Masterson
LP: Jhoulys Chacin
Old 08-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group E, Round 1, Game 1

#6 Chicago Cubs at #1 New York Yankees

Starting Pitchers

Ryan Dempster (CHC) vs. C.C. Sabathia (NYY)

Game Recap

​The Yankees started this one out as expected, as a Curtis Granderson 3 run homer in the bottom of the 4th gave the Bronx Bombers a 4-1 lead, but that would be the last run they would score. Meanwhile, the Cubbies would chip away, getting a double and 3 singles in the 6th. Surprisingly, the 2 runs the Cubs scored in the inning were both on groundouts from Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Pena. Then Alfonso Soriano had the big blow in the top of the 9th, hitting a 3 run shot to give Chicago a 6-4 lead. Carlos Marmol would pitch a perfect 9th as the Cubs stunned the Yankees 6-4, becoming the 4th out of 5 teams ranked 6th in their group to upset the top team in the opening game.

WP: Andrew Cashner
LP: Lance Pendleton
SV: Carlos Marmol

Group E, Round 1, Game 2

#5 Kansas City at #2 Atlanta

Starting Pitchers

Luke Hochevar (KC) vs. Tim Hudson (ATL)

Hudson scattered 6 hits and went the distance for the Braves, who picked up a 6-1 victory thanks to powering out 3 homers. Dan Uggla, Freddie Freeman, and Brian McCann all homered for the Braves, while Kansas City got their lone run from a Billy Butler solo shot.

WP: Tim Hudson
LP: Luke Hochevar

Group E, Round 1, Game 3

#4 Los Angeles Dodgers vs. #3 Los Angeles Angels

Starting Pitchers

Clayton Kershaw (LAD) vs. Jered Weaver (LAA)

With this pitching match-up, I figured runs would be hard to come by, and they were through the first 6 innings. Alberto Callaspo got the Angels on the board in the bottom of the 6th with an RBI single and that would be it through the first 7. Then the starters tired and the bats came out a bit. Matt Kemp tied it in the top of the 8th with a solo homer, and the Angels retook the lead in the bottom of the inning. The Dodgers tied it in the 9th, but ran themselves out of potential big inning when Rod Barajas was picked off 3rd base in a 1st and 3rd, nobody out situation. The Dodgers didn't score again. In the bottom of the 9th, normally reliable Kenley Jansen allowed singles to the first 2 hitters, then coerced a pop-up on a Peter Bourjos sac bunt attempt. It didn't matter though, as he would walk both Jeff Mathis and Erick Aybar to end the game, as the Angels walked off (literally) with a 3-2 victory.

WP: Scott Downs
LP: Kenley Jansen

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 08-13-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group A, Round 2, Game 1

Arizona at New York Mets

Starting Pitchers

Daniel Hudson (ARI) vs. Chris Capuano (NYM)

Game Recap

New York Mets- 5, Arizona- 4 -- It's unbelievable to think that the Diamondbacks would blow a lead in the 9th 2 games in a row, but that's exactly what happened. Arizona went into the bottom of the 9th leading 4-1 thanks to 7 brilliant innings of work by Hudson. Juan Gutierrez started the 9th on the mound for Arizona, giving up a walk and a single sandwiched in-between 2 outs. He departed and David Hernandez came in. He gave up an RBI single to David Wright (who was the lead-off hitter in this game, I'll explain more on that later), and then Jose Reyes ended the game with a 3 run walkoff homer, stunning the D-Backs for the 2nd straight game.

WP: Mike O'Connor
LP: David Hernandez

Group A, Round 2, Game 2

Minnesota at Oakland

Starting Pitchers

Brian Duensing (MIN) vs. Gio Gonzalez (OAK)

Game Recap

Oakland- 6, Minnesota- 4 -- Oakland scored 4 runs in the bottom of the 3rd, batting around as they had a double and 5 singles in the inning. Neither starting pitcher made it out of the 6th inning, but Oakland's bullpen was brilliant in the final 4 innings, allowing just 2 baserunners to seal the deal.

WP- Gio Gonzalez
LP- Brian Duensing
SV- Andrew Bailey

Group A, Round 2, Game 3

St. Louis at Boston

Starting Pitchers

Chris Carpenter (STL) vs. Jon Lester (BOS)

Game Recap

St. Louis- 5, Boston- 2 -- It was just 1 bad inning that doomed the Red Sox, as St. Louis batted around in the 2nd, scoring all 5 of their runs. Ryan Theriot, Lance Berkman, and Yadier Molina all doubled in the inning. Chris Carpenter pitched 7 2/3 innings, allowing both Boston runs and scattering 8 hits. Raul Valdes got the final out of the 8th, and Trever Miller pitched a perfect 9th as the Cardinals take the early lead in group play.

WP- Chris Carpenter
LP- Jon Lester
SV- Trever Miller

Next up, Group B, Round 2. But before I get into that, I wanted to tell you guys how I'm choosing starting line-ups for each game. With my player position rules in effect, I choose the 9 starters for each team based on that. Then, I open up OOTP 17, of which I've started a 2011 historical mode, and I plug the starters into it for each team for each game, and let the CPU choose the batting order. That's why David Wright led off for the Mets in their game against Arizona, something he probably has done much before.

So far I haven't run into any problems doing it this way, but I know halfway through when players start changing teams, I'll have to progress into the season to do trades and such. I'm doing everything in commissioner mode and have huge rosters for each team. I figure I'm not actually playing any of the season on OOTP, and I'll delete it as soon as this tourney is over.

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 08-23-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group B, Round 2, Game 1

Philadelphia at Toronto

Starting Pitchers

Cliff Lee (PHI) vs. Brandon Morrow (TOR)

Game Recap

Toronto- 1, Philadelphia- 0 -- The Blue Jay starting pitching continued to shine, as for the 2nd straight game, Toronto's starting pitcher went the distance, this time getting the shutout. Morrow went the distance, pitching a 3 hit shutout, as Toronto has yet to get into the bullpen in this tournament. The lone run came on an Aaron Hill homer in the 7th.

WP: Brandon Morrow
LP: Cliff Lee

Group B, Round 2, Game 2

Houston at Cincinnati

Starting Pitchers

Wandy Rodriguez (HOU) vs. Johnny Cueto (CIN)

Game Recap

Cincinnati- 5, Houston- 4 -- Both teams took advantage of the favorable ballpark chart for Cincinnati's ballpark, hitting 2 homers a piece. Hunter Pence had a 3 run homer for the Astros, and Carlos Lee added a solo shot. For the Reds, Todd Frazier had a solo shot, and Ramon Hernandez hit the go-ahead and eventually game winning 2 run homer in the 7th. The Astros didn't have a baserunner after an Angel Sanchez single in the 6th, as Jose Arredondo, Aroldis Chapman, and Francisco Cordero each pitched a perfect 7th, 8th, and 9th inning, respectively. J.R. Towles was injured for the Astros, and per tournament rules will miss the next game.

WP: Jose Arredondo
LP: David Carpenter

Group B, Round 2, Game 3

Detroit at San Francisco

Starting Pitchers

Max Scherzer (DET) vs. Matt Cain (SF)

Game Recap

San Francisco- 3, Detroit- 1 -- Another good pitching duel, although it didn't come without some drama. Both starting pitchers went 6 innings, but they were stressful innings, as both pitchers gave up a lot of baserunners, but both teams left a lot of guys on base. After an Andy Dirks RBI single to start the scoring for Detroit in the 2nd inning, San Francisco got 2 in the 4th and added an insurance run in the 7th. Pablo Sandoval, Mike Fontenot, and Buster Posey each had RBIs for the Giants. Ramon Ramirez pitched the last 2 innings for San Francisco, earning the 2 inning save, and Detroit's Casper Wells was injured in the top of the 9th, he'll miss Detroit's next game.

WP: Matt Cain
LP: Max Scherzer
SV: Ramon Ramirez
Old 09-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #11
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group C, Round 2, Game 1

Milwaukee at San Diego

Starting Pitchers

Zack Greinke (MIL) vs. Tim Stauffer (SD)

Game Recap

Milwaukee- 6, San Diego- 3 (10 innings) -- It looked like the top seed in Group C was going to go 0-2 early on, as San Diego's Brad Hawpe hit a 3 run homer in the bottom of the 6th, and Stauffer was lights out all game long, going 8 1/3 innings of 3 hit ball. But in the top of the 9th, he gave up singles to Rickie Weeks and Prince Fielder, then Corey Hart hit a 3 run shot to tie the game at 3. The Brewers added a 3 run shot in the 10th from Ryan Braun, as they escape with the victory.

WP: Michael Fiers
LP: Anthony Bass

Group C, Round 2, Game 2

Seattle at Florida

Starting Pitchers

Jason Vargas (SEA) vs. Javier Vazquez (FLO)

Game Recap

Florida- 7, Seattle- 6 -- The teams combined for 3 homers in this game, as Miguel Olivo had a grand slam for the Mariners, and John Buck had a 3 run shot while Mike Stanton added a solo shot for the Marlins. The difference was the bottom of the 9th though. Seattle closer Brandon League inherited a 6-4 lead, giving up singles to Buck and Omar Infante, then getting the next 2 guys out. But he gave up an RBI double to Emilio Bonifacio. Tim Wilhelmsen came in to try and get Bryan Peterson out, but he failed as Peterson singled up the middle, driving home 2 and walking off for Florida!

WP: Jose Ceda
LP: Brandon League

Group C, Round 2, Game 3

Tampa Bay at Chicago White Sox

Starting Pitchers

David Price (TB) vs. Gavin Floyd (CWS)

Game Recap

Chicago White Sox- 7, Tampa Bay- 6 -- Neither starting pitcher was overly effective, as Tampa Bay scored singled runs in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th innings while Floyd was in the game. The White Sox got 2 run innings in the 1st, 3rd, and 6th with Price in the game. This one was a slugfest, as 5 balls left the park. Casey Kotchman, B.J. Upton, and Sean Rodriguez homered for the Devil Rays, while Brent Lillibridge and Brent Morel homered for the Sox. Addison Reed struck out all 3 batters he faced in the top of the 9th, nailing it down to give Chicago the win.

WP: Gavin Floyd
LP: David Price
SV: Addison Reed
Old 11-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group D, Round 2, Game 1

Texas at Pittsburgh

Starting Pitchers

Derek Holland (TEX) vs. James McDonald (PIT)

Game Recap

Texas- 9, Pittsburgh- 2 -- The Rangers scored 7 runs off McDonald in the first 2 innings, with the big blow coming in the 2nd, as Texas batted around. Pittsburgh's bullpen did a good job shutting down Texas after the 2nd, but it was too little, too late. Mike Napoli and Adrian Beltre each had 3 RBIs for the Rangers.

WP: Derek Holland
LP: James McDonald

Group D, Round 2, Game 2

Baltimore at Colorado

Starting Pitchers

Zach Britton (BAL) vs. Jason Hammel (COL)

Game Recap

Colorado- 8, Baltimore- 3 -- The Rockies put up 3 spots in both the 3rd and 6th innings, getting 5 straight singles in the 3rd and 2 straight triples in the 6th. Todd Helton lacked a double in his quest to hit for the cycle, and Hammel went 7 innings.

WP: Jason Hammel
LP: Zach Britton

Group D, Round 2, Game 3

Washington at Cleveland

Starting Pitchers

Livan Hernandez (WAS) vs. Fausto Carmona (CLE)

Game Recap

Cleveland- 2, Washington- 1 -- A classic in this one, as Hernandez and Carmona dueled for 7 innings before Carmona was replaced. Both pitchers got out of a couple jams, but a solo homer by Laynce Nix in the top of the 5th gave Washington the lead. It would hold until the bottom of the 9th, when Shelley Duncan singled to lead off the inning. With 1 out, Carlos Santana walked, and then Hernandez threw a wild pitch. He was replaced by Washington closer Drew Storen, who got Jack Hannahan to pop out to the catcher, but Jason Donald came through with a walk-off, 2 RBI single to win it for the Indians!

WP: Nick Hagadone
LP: Livan Hernandez
Old 11-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group E, Round 2, Game 1

New York Yankees at Kansas City

Starting Pitchers

A.J. Burnett (NYY) vs. Jeff Francis (KC)

Game Recap

Kansas City- 3, New York Yankees- 2 -- The Yankees continue to struggle early in this tournament, as Jeff Francis and 4 KC relievers shut down the Bronx Bombers. The Yankees got their share of baserunners, as it seemed Francis was pitching out of a jam in almost every inning he worked, and he finally left after 5 2/3. Billy Butler had 2 RBIs for the Royals, and it was his RBI single in the bottom of the 4th that gave KC a 3-2 lead after the Yankees took a 2-1 lead in the top of the inning. Royals closer Greg Holland got a scare in the top of the 9th, as with 2 outs an a runner on 2nd, Curtis Granderson hit a deep fly ball to left. The wind held it up though, and Alex Gordon made a great catch at the wall to preserve the victory.

WP: Jeff Francis
LP: A.J. Burnett
SV: Greg Holland

Group E, Round 2, Game 2

Chicago Cubs at Los Angeles Dodgers

Starting Pitchers

Matt Garza (CHC) vs. Chad Billingsley (LAD)

Game Recap

Chicago Cubs- 10, LA Dodgers- 6 -- An absolute slugfest in this one, as the teams combined to hit 5 home runs. Geovany Soto hit 2 for the Cubs, a 2 run shot in the 4th and a solo shot in the 9th. The big inning for the Cubs was the 4th, in which they scored 4 runs.

WP: Matt Garza
LP: Chad Billingsley

Group E, Round 2, Game 3

Atlanta at Los Angeles Angels

Starting Pitchers

Derek Lowe (ATL) vs. Dan Haren (LAA)

Game Recap

LA Angels- 7, Atlanta- 1

While he didn't have an RBI, Erick Aybar was a hero in this one for the Angels. He was 4-4 with 3 singles and a double, along with 3 stolen bases, and he scored every time he got on base. The Angels got a lot of help from Atlanta's defense, as the Braves committed 3 errors, and all 3 were committed by Atlanta RF Jason Heyward. Those errors led to just 1 unearned run though. Dan Haren pitched into the 9th inning, but when Dan Uggla led off with a single, the Angels turned to Kevin Jepsen. He struck out Heyward who had just an awful game, and then got Martin Prado to hit into a 3-6-1 double play to end the game. Haren worked out of a huge jam in the top of the 6th in which the first 4 batters reached base, but he retired the next 3 batters with only 1 run scoring.

WP: Dan Haren
LP: Derek Lowe
Old 02-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group A, Round 3, Game 1

Boston at New York Mets

Starting Pitchers

John Lackey (BOS) vs. R.A. Dickey (NYM)

Game Recap

Boston- 9, New York Mets- 8 -- Bad news for Boston early in this one, as starting pitcher Lackey was injured in the bottom of the 1st after throwing to just 4 batters, but the bullpen held the fort for a while. The Red Sox had back to back to back homers in the top of the 6th by Kevin Youkilis, Carl Crawford, and Jason Varitek in a big 4 run 6th. They called on Jonathan Papelbon to deliver a 5 out save, and things got dicey as the Mets got it to 9-8, but Papelbon struck out Jason Bay to end the game.

WP: Daisuke Matsuzaka
LP: R.A. Dickey
SV: Jonathan Papelbon

Group A, Round 3, Game 2

Oakland at Arizona

Starting Pitchers

Brandon McCarthy (OAK) vs. Joe Saunders (ARI)

Game Recap

Oakland- 2, Arizona- 1 -- In one of the rare feats of baseball, neither team went to the bullpen in this one. Both starting pitchers went the distance. Oakland got their 2 runs in the top of the 2nd after Kevin Kouzmanoff doubled, David Dejesus reached on a Ryan Roberts error, then Kurt Suzuki doubled, and Daric Barton singled. The lone run for Arizona came off the bat of Roberts, who hit a solo shot in the bottom of the 6th. McCarthy struck out 10 in a superb effort, while Saunders took the tough loss as the 2nd Oakland run was unearned.

WP: Brandon McCarthy
LP: Joe Saunders

Group A, Round 3, Game 3

St. Louis at Minnesota

Starting Pitchers

Jaime Garcia (StL) vs. Nick Blackburn (MIN)

Game Recap

Minnesota- 5, St. Louis- 2 -- Rene Tosoni had 2 homers for the Twinkies, in the 3rd and 4th innings. Minnesota batted around in the 3rd inning. It was a bad 3rd inning in more ways than one for the Cardinals, as Jon Jay and Matt Holliday collided trying to track down a fly ball, and both will miss the next game for St. Louis. The Twins bullpen was sharp, allowing just a double and a walk in the final 3 innings of the game.

WP: Nick Blackburn
LP: Jaime Garcia
SV: Jeff Manship
Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group B, Round 3, Game 1

San Francisco at Toronto

Starting Pitchers

Madison Bumgarner (SF) vs. Henderson Alvarez (TOR)

Game Recap

San Francisco- 8, Toronto- 6

The Giants scored 6 of their 8 runs in the 2nd inning, batting around as both Miguel Tejada and Cody Ross homered. Alvarez was chased after completing this inning. Bumgarner was brilliant in 8 innings of work, allowing just 3 runs and 7 hits. The bottom of the 9th got dicey, as the Giants had to use 3 pitchers, and Toronto scored 3 runs to cut an 8-3 lead down to 8-6. Steve Edelfsen and Jeremy Affeldt couldn't get the job done, so San Francisco turned to Sergio Romo to get the final out, and he did, getting Jose Bautista to ground out as the Giants escaped.

WP: Madison Bumgarner
LP: Henderson Alvarez
SV: Sergio Romo

Group B, Round 3, Game 2

Cincinnati at Philadelphia

Starting Pitchers

Mike Leake (CIN) vs. Cole Hamels (PHI)

Game Recap

Philadelphia- 6, Cincinnati- 3 -- Ryan Howard lacked a triple from hitting for the cycle, and he had 3 of the Phillies' 6 RBIs. Philadelphia scored single runs in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th, and 2 run in the 7th. Cincinnati tied the game at 3 in the top of the 3rd after a Chris Heisey homer, but couldn't manage anything after that, as the Phillies get a much needed win.

WP: Cole Hamels
LP: Mike Leake
SV: Denys Baez

Group B, Round 3, Game 3

Detroit at Houston

Starting Pitchers

Rick Porcello (DET) vs. Bud Norris (HOU)

Game Recap

Detroit- 10, Houston- 2 -- It's hard to believe that the Astros led this game 2-1 going into the 7th inning, but that was the case. An Alex Avila grand slam in the 7th, and a Ryan Raburn grand slam in the 9th completely broke it open. Don Kelly also had a solo homer, in the 8th inning. Jeff Keppinger had the 2 Houston RBIs with a 2 run double in the 4th.

WP: Rick Porcello
LP: Bud Norris
Old 05-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #16
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group C, Round 3, Game 1

Chicago White Sox at San Diego

Starting Pitchers

John Danks (CHW) vs. Aaron Harang (SD)

Game Recap

San Diego- 3, Chicago White Sox- 2 -- This one was a good pitching duel, but San Diego got a run in the 8th and walked off in the 9th to get a key victory. Both starting pitchers worked into the 8th inning, and Paul Konerko provided the offense for the White Sox with 2 solo homers. Trailing 2-1 in the 8th, San Diego got a triple from Kyle Blanks followed by a double from Anthony Rizzo to tie the game at 2, then with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, Nick Hundley came through with the RBI single to walk it off for the Padres.

WP: Mike Adams
LP: Jesse Crain

Group C, Round 3, Game 2

Florida at Milwaukee

Starting Pitchers

Anibal Sanchez (FLO) vs. Randy Wolf (MIL)

Game Recap

Milwaukee- 7, Florida- 5 -- The Brewers batted around in a 5 run 4th inning to take control, getting a walk, 3 singles, and 2 doubles, all with 2 outs in the inning. Yuniesky Betancourt had a 3 RBI triple in that inning. Florida scored all 5 of their runs from the 7th inning on, and the 9th inning got dicey. With the Marlins trailing 7-3 and 1 out, they got 4 hits in a row before Milwaukee closer John Axford came in to strike out both Hanley Ramirez and Omar Infante, nailing it down for the Brew Crew.

WP: Randy Wolf
LP: Anibal Sanchez
SV: John Axford

Group C, Round 3, Game 3

Tampa Bay at Seattle

Starting Pitchers

Jeremy Hellickson (TB) vs. Michael Pineda (SEA)

Game Recap

Seattle- 5, Tampa Bay- 4 (10 innings) -- Once again it took a comeback, as the Mariners trailed 4-1 going into the 8th inning, but got 2 in the 8th and 1 in the 9th. To the 10th we go. After a Chone Figgins double, Tampa Bay pitcher Andy Sonnanstine got Ichiro and Brendan Ryan to line to 3rd base. He couldn't get Justin Smoak though, as Smoak lined a double to left field. Figgins came around to score and we had our 2nd walk-off of this group and round.

WP: Chris Ray
LP: Andy Sonnanstine
Old 05-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group D, Round 3, Game 1

Cleveland at Pittsburgh

Starting Pitchers

Josh Tomlin (CLE) vs. Paul Maholm (PIT)

Game Recap

Cleveland- 4, Pittsburgh- 3 -- 2 half innings amounted for all the scoring in this one. Pittsburgh scored all 3 of their runs in the bottom of the second, as Alex Presley, Neil Walker, and Chris Snyder had RBIs. Cleveland answered with 4 in the top of the 6th, all on a Travis Hafner grand slam. From there, it was lights out from each bullpen, as only 3 runners combined reached base after the 6th inning.

WP: Josh Tomlin
LP: Paul Maholm
SV: Chris Perez

Group D, Round 3, Game 2

Colorado at Texas

Starting Pitchers

Ubaldo Jimenez (COL) vs. Colby Lewis (TEX)

Game Recap

Texas- 7, Colorado- 1 -- Take away the first inning, and I could have said that Ubaldo Jimenez pitched well. The Rangers sent 10 men to the plate in that 1st inning, giving up 5 runs. Ian Kinsler had the big blow with a 3 run homer. Jimenez ended up working into the 6th before he got into trouble again. Ty Wigginton was the lone offense for the Rockers, with a solo homer. Texas got 8 1/3 out of Colby Lewis, then 1/3 inning each from Mason Tobin and Michael Kirkman. Colorado's Jason Giambi failed a drug test after the game and will be suspended for at least 1 game, maybe more. (I've changed the way I'm handling injuries and failed drug test suspensions. Ejections from a game will remain the same, a 1 day suspension, but I wanted to mix it up a little bit as you'll see later on. If anybody has questions, I'll be happy to explain what I'm doing with injuries and drug suspensions.)

WP: Colby Lewis
LP: Ubaldo Jimenez

Group D, Round 3, Game 3

Washington at Baltimore

Starting Pitchers

Jordan Zimmermann (WAS) vs. Jake Arrieta (BAL)

Game Recap

Washington- 3, Baltimore- 2 -- All 5 runs in this game came in the 1st inning, and from that point on, the starters settled down, and both teams bullpens barely allowed a runner to get to 2nd base. Washington started it off with a Mike Morse 2 run homer and an RBI single from Ian Desmond. Baltimore got 2 back in the bottom of the 1st thanks to a Mark Reynolds 2 RBI double. That was it for the excitement in this one, as the Orioles went 1-2-3 in the 9th.

WP: Jordan Zimmermann
LP: Jake Arrieta
SV: Henry Rodriguez
Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group E, Round 3, Game 1

Los Angeles Angels at Kansas City

Starting Pitchers

Ervin Santana (LAA) vs. Bruce Chen (KC)

Game Recap

Los Angeles Angels- 5, Kansas City- 2 -- Mark Trumbo was the highlight of the offense, hitting a 3 run homer in the 8th and flying out to right field in the 1st for an RBI single. He had 4 of the 5 RBIs for the Angels, and his homer broke open a 2-0 game going into the 8th. Both starting pitchers pitched into the 8th inning, and Eric Hosmer broke the shutout with a 2 run homer for the Royals, also in the 8th inning. Alberto Callaspo left the game in the top of the 5th with an injury for the Angels.

WP: Ervin Santana
LP: Bruce Chen
SV: Fernando Rodney

Group E, Round 3, Game 2

Los Angeles Dodgers at New York Yankees

Starting Pitchers

Hiroki Kuroda (LAD) vs. Ivan Nova (NYY)

Game Recap

New York Yankees- 10, Los Angeles Dodgers- 6 -- A slugfest in this one, highlighted by 2 crooked numbers. The Dodgers scored 5 in the 5th, batting around and getting homers from Juan Uribe and Rod Barajas. In the bottom of the 8th, trailing 6-4, the Yankees sent 11 men to the plate, scoring 6 runs. Brett Gardner had a 3 run homer, and the Yankees had 7 singles in the inning. The Yankees used 7 pitchers in the game, and the Dodgers used 5.

WP: David Robertson
LP: Vicente Padilla
SV: Mariano Rivera

Group E, Round 3, Game 3

Atlanta at Chicago Cubs

Starting Pitchers

Jair Jurrjens (ATL) vs. Carlos Zabrano (CHC)

Game Recap

Atlanta- 2, Chicago Cubs- 1 -- Tremendous pitching in this one, as Carlos Zambrano worked into the 8th. Unfortunately, Atlanta had to go to bullpen by committee as Jurrjens left with injury in the bottom of the 4th. Jason Heyward got a tough RBI in the top of the 4th, being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, and Joe Mather followed that up with an infield single, accounting for the 2 Atlanta runs. Alfonso Soriano had a solo homer in the bottom of the 7th, but aside from that, the Atlanta bullpen was nails, giving up just 2 hits in 5 1/3 innings. The only other hit they gave up was a double by Aramis Ramirez to lead off the bottom of the 9th. After that, Craig Kimbrel induced a ground ball to first, got a strikeout, and ended the game getting a ground ball to third.

WP: Julio Teheran
LP: Carlos Zambrano
SV: Craig Kimbrel
Old 06-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #19
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Just checking to see if anybody is following this. I know I have some other stuff going on, like my Interactive Dynasties, that are being followed, but this one is kind of in the background and may not be as interesting. Give a shout if anyone is following, thanks.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #20
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group A, Round 4, Game 1

Oakland at St. Louis

Starting Pitchers

Guillermo Moscoso (OAK) vs. Jake Westbrook (StL)

Game Recap

St. Louis- 6, Oakland- 5 -- Colby Rasmus starting the scoring with a 3 run homer in the bottom of the 1st. A Josh Willingham homer made it 3-1 in the top of the 2nd, then a single by Landon Powell in the top of the 4th, followed by a 3 run homer from Conor Jackson made it 5-3 Oakland. St. Louis chipped away and got 2 in the bottom of the 7th. The bottom of the 9th created drama, as David Freese walked off with an RBI single with 1 out and runners on first and second, to give the Cardinals the come from behind win.

WP: Maikel Cleto
LP: Jordan Norberto

Group A, Round 4, Game 2

Arizona at Boston

Starting Pitchers

Josh Collmenter (ARI) vs. Clay Buchholz (BOS)

Game Recap

Arizona- 6, Boston- 4 -- Boston scored 4 runs in the 1st inning on 2 RBI doubles from Darnell McDonald and Jason Varitek, but got nothing after that. Despite the first inning woes, Collmenter ended up pitching 8 innings, giving up just 2 singles and 2 walks in his other 7 innings. Cole Gillespie had a pair of 2 run homers for Arizona, and Kelly Johnson had a pair of solo homers to give Arizona their scoring. 2 players were lost for the Red Sox, as Buchholz left the game due to injury after in the top of the 3rd, and after the game Darnell McDonald was suspended for 3 games due to testing positive for a banned substance (special results chart for the suspension, and I rolled a single die to determine # of games, 1-9).

WP: Josh Collmenter
LP: Andrew Miller
SV: Aaron Heilman

Group A, Round 4, Game 3

New York Mets at Minnesota

Starting Pitchers

Dillon Gee (NYM) vs. Francisco Liriano (MIN)

Game Recap

Minnesota- 3, New York Mets- 0 -- Liriano, Kevin Slowey, and Joe Nathan combined on a 7 hit shutout and the Twins got all 3 of their runs in the bottom of the first. A Carlos Beltran throwing error helped the process, as he threw the ball away after a Jason Kubel double, letting Kubel advance to 3rd. He scored on a Joe Mauer single after that. Slowey retired all 4 batters he faced, and Joe Nathan gave up a mere single in the 9th as the Twins continue to surprise as the #6 seed in their group.

WP: Francisco Liriano
LP: Dillon Gee
SV: Joe Nathan
Old 06-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #21
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group B, Round 4, Game 1

Cincinnati at Detroit

Starting Pitchers

Homer Bailey (CIN) vs. Brad Penny (DET)

Game Recap

Cincinnati- 7, Detroit- 4 -- Both starting pitchers had to endure a 39 minute rain delay in the top of the 4th, but both returned to the mound. Bailey was sharp in 7 shutout innings of work, and Penny settled down after giving up a 3 run homer to Chris Heisey in the top of the 1st. Things got a little dicey for the Reds as they entered the bottom of the 9th up 7-0. Detroit took advantage of an error by Yonder Alonso to start the inning, then drew 2 walks and had 4 singles in the inning. With the lead 7-3 and the bases loaded, Cincinnati turned to closer Sam LeCure to get the final out. He gave up a single to Magglio Ordonez, Ramon Santiago hit a ball about as hard as he could without leaving the park. It settled in Alonso's glove and the Reds escaped, literally.

WP: Homer Bailey
LP: Brad Penny
SV: Sam LeCure

Group B, Round 4, Game 2

Philadelphia at San Francisco

Starting Pitchers

Roy Oswalt (PHI) vs. Ryan Vogelson (SF)

Game Recap

San Francisco- 7, Philadelphia- 6 -- The Giants recovered from a 4 run first inning, highlighted by a base clearing triple by Philadelphia's Placido Polanco. They matched the Phillies' 4 run inning with one of their own in the 5th, with a little help from Philadelphia's defense. Ben Francisco let a ball get by him allowing 2 runs to score, then Nate Schierholtz hit a 2 run homer. Tied 6-6 in the bottom of the 7th, Mike Fontenot led off the inning with a solo shot, and Javier Lopez and Sergio Romo pitched perfect 8th and 9th innings respectively. Philadelphia's John Mayberry was ejected in the bottom of the 5th and will serve a 1 game suspension.

WP: Ramon Ramirez
LP: Kyle Kendrick
SV: Sergio Romo

Group B, Round 4, Game 3

Toronto at Houston

Starting Pitchers

Brett Cecil (TOR) vs. J.A Happ (HOU)

Game Recap

Houston- 8, Toronto- 7 (10 innings) -- Neither starting pitcher was real effective in this one, as Cecil was chased in the 4th and Happ only made it through 5. Down 7-5 going into the top of the 9th, the Blue Jays got an RBI single from Rajai Davis and an RBI fly out from David Cooper to tie it at 7. In the bottom of the 10th, Jimmy Paredes and Jason Michaels both singled, and after Carlos Corporan grounded out, Michael Bourn hit a double to the gap to score Paredes and walk it off for the Astros! Jeff Keppinger of Houston was injured in the game and will miss the next game.

WP: Aneury Rodriguez
LP: Luis Perez

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 06-27-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #22
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group C, Round 4, Game 1

Florida at Tampa Bay

Starting Pitchers

Chris Volstad (FLO) vs. Wade Davis (TB)

Game Recap

Florida- 5, Tampa Bay- 3 -- Florida scored 4 of their 5 runs in the first 2 innings. In the first inning, Greg Dobbs had an RBI double and Brett Hayes had a 2 RBI single. In the 2nd inning, Scott Cousins had a solo homer. Tampa Bay got RBIs from Felipe Lopez, Desmond Jennings, and John Jaso. Tampa Bay relief pitcher Adam Russell was injured while pitching.

WP: Chris Volstad
LP: Wade Davis

Group C, Round 4, Game 2

Milwaukee at Chicago White Sox

Starting Pitchers

Shawn Marcum (MIL) vs. Philip Humber (CWS)

Game Recap

Chicago White Sox- 3, Milwaukee- 1 -- Not much action in this one as the pitchers were dominant. The White Sox took the lead in the 5th on a solo homer by Adam Dunn. Milwaukee tied it in the top of the 6th with a Rickie Weeks RBI double, then in the bottom of the 6th, Carlos Quentin hit a 2 run homer. The White Sox will be missing a couple players next game as Alejandro de Aza was injured in the top of the 1st, meaning he didn't get an at-bat and by my rules of the tournament, will not get credit for a game started. Also, Eduardo Escobar was ejected in the top of the 9th and will miss the next game.

WP: Philip Humber
LP: Shawn Marcum
SV: Lucas Harrell

Group C, Round 4, Game 3

San Diego at Seattle

Starting Pitchers

Dustin Moseley (SD) vs. Doug Fister (SEA)

Game Recap

Seattle- 4, San Diego- 2 -- Fister was brilliant in this one, giving up just 2 runs and 4 hits in 8 2/3 innings of work, and Dustin Ackley drove in 3 of the 4 Seattle runs. The 4th run scored on a wild pitch. Fister couldn't quite finish what he started, as he left with 2 outs and the bases loaded, giving way to David Pauley. It only took 1 batter, as Pauley struck out Jesus Guzman to preserve the win!

WP: Doug Fister
LP: Dustin Moseley
SV: David Pauley

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 06-27-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #23
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group D, Round 4, Game 1

Colorado at Washington

Starting Pitchers

Aaron Cook (COL) vs. Jason Marquis (WAS)

Game Recap

Washington- 8, Colorado- 6 (11 innings) -- Washington looked to be in control of this one leading 5-0 in the top of the 8th, as Marquis was rolling. He couldn't get out of the 8th though, as the Rockies sent 12 men to the plate and scored 6 runs to take a 6-5 lead. With 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, a Brian Bixler RBI double tied it at 6, then in the bottom of the 11th, Laynce Nix hit a 2 run walk-off homer as the Nationals survive the furious Colorado comeback attempt. Cook left the game after completing the 2nd inning on the mound, as he left with an injury, and Charlie Blackmon was ejected in the top of the 9th.

WP: Yuniesky Maya
LP: Greg Reynolds

Group D, Round 4, Game 3

Texas at Cleveland

Starting Pitchers

Matt Harrison (TEX) vs. Carlos Carrasco (CLE)

Game Recap

Cleveland- 11, Texas- 8 (10 innings) -- This one turned into a good ole fashioned slugfest, as the Indians struck for 4 in the 2nd as Grady Sizemore got a base clearing double. Texas scored 4 in the 5th and 2 in the 6th, but Cleveland answered back with 1 in the 7th and 2 in the 8th. After retaking the lead 8-7 in the 9th, Mark Lowe couldn't close it out for Texas, giving up a 2 out solo homer to Asdrubal Cabrera. Another walk-off to end this one, as Austin Kearns hit a 3 run homer in the bottom of the 10th. Carrasco was ejected in the top of the 6th and Cleveland had to go to the bullpen earlier than they wanted.

WP: David Huff
LP: Scott Feldman

Group D, Round 4, Game 3

Pittsburgh at Baltimore

Starting Pitchers

Jeff Karstens (PIT) vs. Alfredo Simon (BAL)

Game Recap

Pittsburgh- 3, Baltimore- 2 -- Both teams traded 2 run first innings and the pitching took control from that point. The Pirates broke the tie in the top of the 6th as Jose Tabata got a bases loaded RBI single. Pedro Alvarez tried to score from second base on the play but was thrown out by Nick Markakis, leaving the score 3-2. From there it was all bullpen. The Pirates did get into a jam in the bottom of the 8th as Baltimore got a single and double to start the inning, but a strikeout and 2 lineouts ended the threat. Simon was injured in the top of the 5th, and after the game Kyle Hudson was suspended for 1 game for failing a drug test.

WP: Jeff Karstens
LP: Alfredo Simon
SV: Chris Resop

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 06-27-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #24
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group E, Round 4, Game 1

Los Angeles Dodgers at Atlanta

Starting Pitchers

Ted Lilly (LAD) vs. Brandon Beachy (ATL)

Game Recap

Los Angeles Dodgers- 4, Atlanta- 3 (10 innings) -- Another game going extra innings in round 4, as Atlanta got things started off right in the first inning with a 2 RBI single from Eric Hinske. Jay Gibbons had a solo shot in the third inning to get the Dodgers on the board. With the Dodgers down 3-2 in the top of the 9th, Casey Blake flied out to right to tie it at 3, then in extra innings, Dee Gordon singled and stole 2nd base, and Jay Gibbons singled him home. The Braves couldn't get anything going in the bottom of the 10th as the Dodgers came back to win.

WP: Jonathan Broxton
LP: Scott Linebrink
SV: Javy Guerra

Group E, Round 4, Game 2

New York Yankees at Los Angeles Angels

Starting Pitchers

Freddy Garcia (NYY) vs. Joel Piniero (LAA)

Game Recap

New York Yankees- 8, Los Angeles Angels- 0 -- Total domination for the Yankees in this one as they scored 7 of their 8 runs in the first 2 innings, chasing Piniero after just 1 2/3 innings. Garcia pitched 7 1/3 innings, then gave way to Boone Logan and Dellin Betances who preserved the shutout.

WP: Freddy Garcia
LP: Joel Piniero

Group E, Round 4, Game 3

Kansas City at Chicago Cubs

Starting Pitchers

Kyle Davies (KC) vs. Randy Wells (CHC)

Game Recap

Kansas City- 2, Chicago Cubs- 0 -- A 2 RBI single in the top of the 4th for Matt Treanor was all the scoring in this one, as Davies pitched 8 solid innings, getting out of a few jams, and Joakim Soria pitched a perfect 9th to nail down the save. The troubles continue throughout the game for the Cubs, as Marlon Byrd and Reed Johnson collided with each other chasing a fly ball, each will miss a game, and John Grabow was ejected in the top of the 7th for intentionally throwing at Wilson Betemit. He rolled a 3 game suspension for that.

WP: Kyle Davies
LP: Randy Wells
SV: Joakim Soria
Old 06-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #25
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

After 4 rounds of group play complete, I've decided to go back and revamp the way injuries are handled.
Before, injuries were just automatic 1 game, but I wanted an element of randomness involved, so I've gone to the injury chart, and now an injury can be anywhere from 1-9 games missed.
I've gone back through all the game sheets and recalculated the injuries using the DICE Baseball Injury Chart, taking into consideration any game a player has NOT played in since his injury.
Unfortunately, there's a bit more injuries than I would have liked to have had through 60 games played, and a bulk of the injuries are going to see teams' minimum games played completely reshuffled, as many players are out for the duration of group play, including a few that were expected to play 7 or 8 games in group play.
Here's a list of all the injuries along with how many more games they are still scheduled to miss.

Group A

Tyler Greene (St. Louis)- 9 games
J.D. Drew (Boston)- 8 games
Carl Crawford (Boston)- 6 games
Matt Holliday (St. Louis)- 6 games
Clay Buchholz (Boston)- 6 games
Yadier Molina (St. Louis)- 4 games
John Lackey (Boston)- 3 games
Jon Jay (St. Louis)- 2 games

Tough luck for St. Louis and Boston, we'll see how this effects them the rest of the way.

Group B

Jeff Keppinger (Houston)- 9 games
Casper Wells (Detroit)- 8 games
Miguel Tejada (San Francisco)- 8 games
J.R. Towles (Houston)- 7 games

Group C

Alejandro de Aza (Chicago White Sox)- 9 games
Adam Russell (Tampa Bay)- 7 games
Corey Hart (Milwaukee)- 6 games
Sean Rodriguez (Tampa Bay)- 6 games
Juan Pierre (Chicago White Sox)- 4 games
Gaby Sanchez (Florida)- 2 games

Group D

Aaron Cook (Colorado)- 5 games
Alfredo Simon (Baltimore)- 5 games

Group E

Reed Johnson (Chicago Cubs)- 9 games
Marlon Byrd (Chicago Cubs)- 8 games
Nick Swisher (New York Yankees)- 4 games
Jair Jurrgens (Atlanta)- 4 games
Alberto Callaspo (Los Angeles Angels)- 2 games

It's a very good possibility I might have to revamp some players' minimum games played, even if the team total is over 90 games overall, just so that I can get a player at every position during the last 6 rounds of group play. I hope not, but we'll see.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group A, Round 5, Game 1

Boston at Minnesota

Starting Pitchers

Erik Bedard (BOS) vs. Scott Baker (MIN)

Game Recap

Boston- 9, Minnesota- 7 -- This one was a slugfest, as Minnesota led 7-2 after 3 innings, thanks to a Red Sox error that allowed the 2nd inning to continue. Boston continued to battle though, getting a 2 run homer from Adrian Gonzalez in the 5th, and then taking a 9-7 lead on a 3 run homer by Dustin Pedroia in the top of the 9th. Scott Atchison pitched a perfect 9th to record the save. Lots of struggles for Minnesota in this one, as both Michael Cuddyer and Jim Thome were injured during the game. Cuddyer is out for 6 games, Thome out for 9. Also, Justin Morneau failed a test after the game and is suspended 6 games. Ouch!

WP: Bobby Jenks
LP: Joe Nathan
SV: Scott Atchison

Group A, Round 5, Game 2

New York Mets at Oakland

Starting Pitchers

Jon Niese (NYM) vs. Brett Anderson (OAK)

Game Recap

New York Mets- 7, Oakland- 5 -- Jose Reyes and Scott Hairston each had 3 RBIs, and Niese was brillinat through 8+. He didn't give up a run until the 7th inning, and couldn't quite get through the 9th inning, as it took both Blaine Boyer and Bobby Parnell to save this one as the Athletics battled back to make it a game. During the game, Oakland's Mark Ellis was injured, he'll be out for 9 games.

WP: Jon Niese
LP: Brett Anderson
SV: Bobby Parnell

Group A, Round 5, Game 3

St. Louis at Arizona

Starting Pitchers

Kyle McClellan (StL) vs. Jarrod Parker (ARI)

Game Recap

Arizona- 6, St. Louis- 3 -- Justin Upton and Paul Goldschmidt led the way with 2 RBIs a piece as the Diamondbacks scored 5 of their 6 runs in the first 2 innings. Parker lasted 6 innings before handing it off to the bullpen who worked through the last 3 innings. Another injury in this one, as Josh Wilson for Arizona went down. He's out for 9 games.

WP: Jarrod Parker
LP: Kyle McClellan

Group A Standings After 5 Rounds

St. Louis (3-2, +8)
Minnesota (3-2, +5)
Boston (3-2, +1)
NY Mets (2-3, -11)
Oakland (2-3, -3)
Arizona (2-3, 0)

The tiebreakers are in effect here. Although it doesn't truly matter at this point, St. Louis, Minnesota, and Boston all went 1-1 against each other in the first half of Group play, so it came down to point differential there. The Mets beat both Oakland and Arizona, and Oakland beat Arizona, so that explains that. I will be producing the standings again after round 7, and for every round after that.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #27
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group B, Round 5, Game 1

San Francisco at Houston

Starting Pitchers

Jonathan Sanchez (SF) vs. Jordan Lyles (HOU)

Game Recap

San Francisco- 6, Houston- 2 -- This one wasn't decided until the top of the 8th when Eli Whiteside hit a 3 run homer for the Giants, making the score 6-2. Pablo Sandoval also homered, meanwhile for Houston, Hunter Pence had a 2 run homer to provide their only scoring.

WP: Jonathan Sanchez
LP: Jordan Lyles

Group B, Round 5, Game 2

Toronto at Cincinnati

Starting Pitchers

Zach Stewart (TOR) vs. Edinson Volquez (CIN)

Game Recap

Cincinnati- 8, Toronto- 6 -- 2 big innings highlighted this one. The Reds sent 12 men to the plate in the bottom of the 3rd, scoring 6 runs in the inning, getting a double, 4 singles, and 2 walks. Jay Bruce had the big blow with a 3 RBI double. Toronto sent 10 men to the plate in the top of the 5th, scoring 5 runs, as Edwin Encarnacion had the big blow with a 3 RBI double. It wasn't enough though, as the Reds' bullpen shut down Toronto in the last 3 innings. Jose Bautista was ejected in the top of the 4th (surprise, surprise), and will miss Toronto's next game.

WP: Edinson Volquez
LP: Zach Stewart
SV: Nick Masset

Group B, Round 5, Game 3

Detroit at Philadelphia

Starting Pitchers

Andrew Oliver (DET) vs. Vance Worley (PHI)

Game Recap

Philadelphia- 4, Detroit- 2 -- 4 different players had an RBI for the Phillies, and Worley allowed just 2 base runners through 6 innings. Unfortunately, he left with an injury in the 7th, and will miss 5 games, but should make his next scheduled start. Magglio Ordonez supplied the offense for the Tigers, with a 2 out double in that fateful 7th inning, but things were silent other than that as Detroit managed 5 hits all game.

WP: Vance Worley
LP: Andrew Oliver
SV: Jose Contreras

Group B Standings After 5 Rounds

San Francisco (5-0, +10)
Philadelphia (3-2, +4)
Cincinnati (3-2, +1)
Toronto (2-3, +1)
Detroit (1-4, -3)
Houston (1-4, -13)
Old 06-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #28
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group C, Round 5, Game 1

Chicago White Sox at Seattle

Starting Pitchers

Edwin Jackson (CWS) vs. Blake Beavan (SEA)

Game Recap

Chicago White Sox- 3, Seattle- 1 -- Despite making 2 errors in the game, the White Sox did just enough offensively to make up for it. They also got some help from Seattle starter Beavan, who balked, yes I said balked, home a run for the Sox in the top of the 4th. Seattle's only run of the game was unearned.

WP: Edwin Jackson
LP: Blake Beavan
SV: Sergio Santos

Group C, Round 5, Game 2

San Diego at Florida

Starting Pitchers

Clayton Richard (SD) vs. Jay Buente (FLO)

Game Recap

Florida- 6, San Diego- 5 -- Hanley Ramirez was the star for Florida in this one, as he had 2 homers and 5 RBIs. The Marlins walked it off in the 9th with a solo shot from Brett Hayes.

WP: Brian Sanches
LP: Pat Neshek

Group C, Round 5, Game 3

Tampa Bay at Milwaukee

Starting Pitchers

Jeff Niemann (TB) vs. Chris Narveson (MIL)

Game Recap

Tampa Bay- 10, Milwaukee- 2 -- This one was all Devil Rays, as they scored all 10 of their runs in 3 innings, getting 3 in the 1st, 2 in the 2nd, and 5 in the 7th. Evan Longoria reached base in all 6 of his plate appearances for Tampa Bay, singling twice, walking 3 times, and homering once. The Rays pounded out 16 hits and Milwaukee had to use 7 pitchers to get through the game. Prince Fielder had a 2 run homer to make up the Brewers' offense.

WP: Jeff Niemann
LP: Chris Narveson

Group C Standings After 5 Rounds

Florida (4-1, +8)
Chicago White Sox (3-2, -2)
Seattle (3-2, +3)
Tampa Bay (2-3, +7)
Milwaukee (2-3, -8)
San Diego (1-4, -8)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #29
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group D, Round 5, Game 1

Cleveland at Baltimore

Starting Pitchers

Alex White (CLE) vs. Chris Tillman (BAL)

Game Recap

Cleveland- 6, Baltimore- 3 -- The Indians broke open a close game with 3 in the 6th innings, taking a 5-0 lead at that point. Shin-Soo Choo and Michael Brantley each had 2 RBIs, and the Indian staff was sharp. The only setback was Justin Germano, who started the 8th inning on the mound and pitched to 4 batters, but didn't get any of them out. Baltimore scored all 3 of their runs in that 8th inning, but the biggest blow for the Orioles came in the top of the 9th when Adam Jones was injured diving for a fly ball. He'll miss the entire 2nd half of group play (5 games) but will return for bracket play

WP: Alex White
LP: Chris Tillman
SV: Zach Putnam

Group D, Round 5, Game 3

Pittsburgh at Colorado

Starting Pitchers

Kevin Correia (PIT) vs. Juan Nicasio (COL)

Game Recap

Colorado- 4, Pittsburgh- 3 (11 innings) -- 5 of the 7 runs scored in this game were scored in the 2 extra innings. A Seth Smith triple gave Colorado a 1-0 lead after 4, and in the 8th inning Garrett Jones hit a solo homer to tie it at 1. Neil Walker had an RBI triple to give Pittsburgh a 2-1 lead in the top of the 10th, but the Rockies responded by getting a Troy Tulowitzki RBI single in the bottom half. Pittsburgh again took the lead in the top of the 11th thanks to a Josh Harrison solo homer, but Seth Smith again came through for Colorado with a solo homer to lead off the bottom of the 11th. With 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd, Dexter Fowler singled to score Ty Wigginton and walk off in a very exciting game!

WP: Clayton Mortenson
LP: Jose Veras

Group D, Round 5, Game 3

Washington at Texas

Starting Pitchers

Chien-Ming Wang (WAS) vs. Alexi Ogando (TEX)

Game Recap

Texas- 5, Washington- 3 -- This game got off to a roaring start in the bottom of the 1st inning as Wang hit Ian Kinsler with a pitch. Kinsler took exception and charged the mound, and Washington catcher Wilson Ramos got involved. The aftermath resulted in all 3 players ejected: Kinsler will be suspended 9 games, Wang suspended for 8 games, and Ramos suspended for 7 games. Wow! Back to the game, as Ross Detwiler assumed the pitching duties for the Nationals and pitched 6 brilliant innings, keeping Washington in front 3-1 going into the 7th inning. The Rangers struck for 4 runs in the inning, sending 10 men to the plate. They were also helped by 2 Washington errors.

WP: Darren O'Day
LP: Chad Gaudin
SV: Yoshinori Tateyama

Group D Standings After 5 Rounds

Cleveland (5-0, +17)
Texas (3-2, +10)
Washington (2-3, -2)
Pittsburgh (2-3, -6)
Colorado (2-3, -11)
Baltimore (1-4, -8)

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 09-05-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #30
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group E, Round 5, Game 1

Los Angeles Angels at Chicago Cubs

Starting Pitchers

Tyler Chatwood (LAA) vs. Casey Coleman (CHC)

Game Recap

Chicago Cubs- 7, Los Angeles Angels- 1 -- The Cubs got some surprising help from a couple little used batters, as Tyler Colvin and Tony Campana each drove in 3 runs, and Coleman went 8 innings of 6 hit ball. The only Angel run scored in the top of the 1st on an Alfonso Soriano error. The Angels will be without Torii Hunter for the next 4 games, as he left due to injury.

WP: Casey Coleman
LP: Tyler Chatwoos

Group E, Round 5, Game 2

Kansas City at Los Angeles Dodgers

Starting Pitchers

Danny Duffy (KC) vs. Jon Garland (LAD)

Game Recap

Kansas City- 8, Los Angeles Dodgers- 5 -- The Royals used a 5 spot in the 5th inning to put the game away, sending 10 men to the plate. Alex Gordon and Billy Butler had 3 RBIs a piece, and Chris Getz had 2 RBIs. The Dodgers made it interesting by getting 3 in the 8th, and Getz was ejected in the bottom of the 9th, so he will miss the next game.

WP: Danny Duffy
LP: Jon Garland

Group E, Round 5, Game 3

Atlanta at New York Yankees

Starting Pitchers

Tommy Hanson (ATL) vs. Bartolo Colon (NYY)

Game Recap

New York Yankees- 12, Atlanta- 4 -- The Yankees scored 7 runs in the 5th inning, sending 11 men to the plate, and getting help from 2 Atlanta errors. All but 2 of the Yankee starters drove in a run, and Colon went 7 innings. Jason Heyward will miss the next 7 games for the Braves after leaving with injury.

WP: Bartolo Colon
LP: Tommy Hanson

Group E Standings After 5 Rounds

New York Yankees (3-2, +17)
Chicago Cubs (3-2, +9)
Kansas City (3-2, -2)
Los Angeles Angels (3-2, -4)
Atlanta (2-3, -9)
Los Angeles Dodgers (1-4, -11)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #31
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Wildcard Standings After 5 Rounds

Remember, the 4th place team with the best record and/or run differential gets the wildcard spot and the #16 seed in the 16 team championship bracket.

Los Angeles Angels (3-2, -4)
Tampa Bay (2-3, +7)
Pittsburgh (2-3, +6)
Toronto (2-3, +1)
Oakland (2-3, -3)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #32
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group A, Round 6, Game 1

Arizona (2-3, 0, 6th) at Minnesota (3-2, +5, 1st)

Starting Pitchers

Wade Miley (ARI) vs. Scott Diamond (MIN)

Game Recap

Arizona- 3, Minnesota- 0 (11 innings) -- One of the best played games of the tournament so far, and a complete reversal, as Arizona was the top seed in this group but comes into the 2nd half of group play in last place, while Minnesota was the 6th seed but comes in first place. Interesting. Anyways, both starting pitchers were phenomenal. Miley worked 9 1/3 innings while Diamond worked 8 2/3 innings. Paul Goldschmidt hit a 3 run homer in the top of the 11th to provide for all the scoring in a well pitched game. Minnesota's Matt Tolbert was injured during the game and will miss the next 9 games (some of these injuries are just going to be crippling some of these teams. The injury sheet is really tough!)

WP: Alberto Castillo
LP: Jim Hoey
SV: Zach Duke

Group A, Round 6, Game 2

St. Louis (3-2, +8, 2nd) at New York Mets (2-3, -11, 5th)

Starting Pitchers

Lance Lynn (StL) vs. Chris Young (NYM)

Game Recap

New York Mets- 3, St. Louis- 1 (10 innings) -- Another phenomenal pitching effort from both starters, as both worked 7+. After a Daniel Descalso flyout to center scored the first run of the game in the 7th inning, David Wright homered for the Mets to tie the game at 1 in the bottom of the 9th, then Jose Reyes walked it off with a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 10th.

WP: Miguel Batista
LP: Mitchell Boggs

Group A, Round 6, Game 3

Boston (3-2, +1, 3rd) at Oakland (2-3, -3, 4th)

Starting Pitchers

Tim Wakefield (BOS) vs. Rich Harden (OAK)

Game Recap

Boston- 7, Oakland- 5 -- A 6 run 3rd inning for the Red Sox knocked Harden out as he pitched to 2 batters in the 4th and got neither out. 11 men came to the plate for Boston, with Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jacoby Ellsbury homering in the inning. Oakland cut it to 7-5 by scoring 1 in the 5th and 2 each in the 6th and 7th, but Dan Wheeler and Jonathan Papelbon came out of the Boston bullpen to pitch the 8th and 9th respectively and nail it down.

WP: Tim Wakefield
LP: Rich Harden
SV: Jonathan Papelbon

Group A Standings After 6 Rounds

Boston (4-2, +3)
St. Louis (3-3, +6)
Arizona (3-3, +3)
Minnesota (3-3, +2)
New York Mets (3-3, -9)
Oakland (2-4, -5)

I decided to just go ahead and do the group standings after every single round, just so you guys knew exactly where everybody stood.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #33
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group B, Round 6, Game 1

Philadelphia (3-2, +4, 2nd) at Houston (1-4, -13, 6th)

Starting Pitchers

Joe Blanton (PHI) vs. Henry Sosa (HOU)

Game Recap

Philadelphia- 14, Houston- 10 -- A football score in this one as the teams combined for 24 runs and 34 hits. Neither starting pitcher made it through the 5th, and lots of bullpen guys will be required to rest at least 1 game. Erik Kratz led Philadelphia with a 5-5 game, including 3 doubles, a triple, a 4 RBIs. Brett Wallace was 4-5 for Houston with a double and 3 RBIs. With 2 outs and the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, Antonio Bastardo came in to strike out pinch hitter Matt Downs to record a save for Philadelphia and preserve the win. Bad news for the Phillies as Ryan Howard went down with an injury and will be out an undisclosed time (I'm revamping injuries again, more on that later as I have 7 rounds completed but just now getting caught up on the reporting).

WP: Scott Mathieson
LP: Wesley Wright
SV: Antonio Bastardo

Group B, Round 6, Game 2

Detroit (1-4, -3, 5th) at Toronto (2-3, +1, 4th)

Starting Pitchers

Jacob Turner (DET) vs. Jo-Jo Reyes (TOR)

Game Recap

Toronto- 10, Detroit- 7 -- Another wild one in Group B, as again neither starting pitcher got through the 5th. Toronto scored 4 in the 4th and 5 in the 5th to put it away early. Rajai Davis and Brett Lawrie each had 4 RBIs for the Blue Jays, while Alex Avila and Jhonny Peralta let Detroit with 3 each.

WP: Dustin McGowan
LP: David Pauley

Group B, Round 6, Game 3

San Francisco (5-0, +10, 1st) at Cincinnati (3-2, +1, 3rd)

Starting Pitchers

Eric Surkamp (SF) vs. Dontrelle Willis (CIN)

Game Recap

Cincinnati- 4, San Francisco- 2 -- Dontrelle Willis was phenomenal in this one, going 7 2/3 innings and giving up 2 runs. He didn't allow a base runner until the 5th inning. Francisco Cordero came in to get a 4 out save for the Reds. All the runs in this game came via the home run. Aaron Rowand had a 2 run homer for San Francisco, as they suffer their first loss of the tournament. Brandon Phillips had a 2 run homer for Cincinnati, and Ramon Hernandez and Miguel Cairo had solo homers.

WP: Dontrelle Willis
LP: Eric Surkamp
SV: Francisco Cordero

Group B Standings after 6 Rounds

San Francisco (5-1, +8)
Philadelphia (4-2, +8)
Cincinnati (4-2, +3)
Toronto (3-3, +4)
Detroit (1-5, -6)
Houston (1-5, -17)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #34
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group C, Round 6, Game 1

Milwaukee (2-3, -8, 5th) at Seattle (3-2, +3, 3rd)

Starting Pitchers

Marco Estrada (MIL) vs. Anthony Vazquez (SEA)

Game Recap

Seattle- 7, Milwaukee- 6 (10 innings) -- Despite committing 3 errors and losing Vazquez in the 3rd inning due to an ejection for doctoring the baseball, Seattle came from behind twice to win. Milwaukee put up the first 4, but Seattle tied it at 4 after the 4th. Then Milwaukee scored 2 in the 6th, but Seattle tied it in the 8th. In the bottom of the 10th, Jack Cust double to lead off the inning. After Milwaukee pitcher Kameron Loe got the next 2 guys to fly out to right field, Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki doubled to knock home the winning run and stun the Brewers yet again!

WP: Jeff Gray
LP: Kameron Loe

Group C, Round 6, Game 2

Tampa Bay (2-3, +7, 4th) at San Diego (1-4, -8, 6th)

Starting Pitchers

Alex Cobb (TB) vs. Wade LeBlanc (SD)

Game Recap

Tampa Bay- 5, San Diego- 1 -- Alex Cobb pitched a complete game for the Devil Rays, giving up a leadoff triple to Cameron Maybin in the 1st, then Jesus Guzman got him in on a sac fly. That's all San Diego could muster though, as Cobb got stronger as the game went on, allowing just 1 base runner from the 5th inning on. Ben Zobrist had a 2 run homer for the Rays, and Evan Longoria also had 2 RBIs.

WP: Alex Cobb
LP: Wade LeBlanc

Group C, Round 6, Game 3

Chicago White Sox (3-2, -2, 2nd) at Florida (4-1, +8, 1st)

Starting Pitchers

Jake Peavy (CHW) vs. Brad Hand (FLO)

Game Recap

Chicago White Sox- 5, Florida- 2 -- A good effort from Jake Peavy, going 7 2/3 innings and giving up 2 runs on a 2 run homer by Logan Morrison. Alexis Ramirez had 3 RBIs for the White Sox.

WP: Jake Peavy
LP: Brad Hand
SV: Matt Thornton

Group C Standings After 6 Rounds

Florida (4-2, +5)
Seattle (4-2, +4)
Chicago White Sox (4-2, +1)
Tampa Bay (3-3, +11)
Milwaukee (2-4, -9)
San Diego (1-5, -12)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #35
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group D, Round 6, Game 1

Texas (3-2, +10, 2nd) at Baltimore (1-4, -8, 6th)

Starting Pitchers

David Bush (TEX) vs. Brian Matusz (BAL)

Game Recap

Texas- 9, Baltimore- 4 -- The Rangers jumped on Baltimore starter Brian Matusz for 7 runs in the first 2 innings. Baltimore got 3 back in the bottom of the 2nd, then reliever Tommy Hunter gave the Orioles 5 2/3 innings of strong pitching, but it wasn't enough. The bats slowed down for both teams. Adrian Beltre had 2 homers and 5 RBIs in the game for Texas. The game was marred by injuries though, as David Bush left in the bottom of the 5th due to injury, David Murphy was injured in the bottom of the 2nd, and Beltre was injured in the bottom of the 9th. Tough blow for the Rangers.

WP: Scott Feldman
LP: Brian Matusz

Group D, Round 6, Game 2

Washington (2-3, -2, 3rd) at Pittsburgh (2-3, -6, 4th)

Starting Pitchers

Stephen Strasburg (WAS) vs. Ross Ohlendorf (PIT)

Game Recap

Washington- 2, Pittsburgh- 0 -- Strasburg came in with low stamina but still got through 7 shutout innings. Tyler Clippard and Drew Storen pitched perfect 8th and 9th innings respectively, and the 2 Washington RBIs came from Laynce Nix and Ryan Zimmerman.

WP: Stephen Strasburg
LP: Ross Ohlendorf

Group D, Round 6, Game 3

Cleveland (5-0, +17, 1st) at Colorado (2-3, -11, 5th)

Starting Pitchers

Zach McAllister (CLE) vs. Jorge de la Rosa (COL)

Game Recap

Colorado- 5, Cleveland- 2 -- The Rockies handed the Indians their first loss thanks to a 2 run 2nd and a 3 run 6th, as well as a dominating performance from de la Rosa who pitched 7 1/3 innings and gave up just 2 runs. Chris Iannetta homered for Colorado.

Group D Standings After 6 Rounds

Cleveland (5-1, +14)
Texas (4-2, +15)
Washington (3-3, 0)
Colorado (3-3, -8)
Pittsburgh (2-4, -8)
Baltimore (1-5, -13)

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 09-05-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #36
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group E, Round 6, Game 1

New York Yankees (3-2, +17, 1st) at Chicago Cubs (3-2, +9, 2nd)

Starting Pitchers

Brian Gordon (NYY) vs. Doug Davis (CHC)

Game Recap

New York Yankees- 5, Chicago Cubs- 1 -- Brian Gordon couldn't quite finish off the complete game, leaving with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, but Rafael Soriano struck out Alfonso Soriano to end it with 2 men on base. Interestingly enough, Soriano scored the Cubs' only run in the bottom of the 7th. He singled, but the ball got by Yankee left fielder Brett Gardner, and Soriano came all the way around to score. Mark Teixeira tried to use an illegal bat in his first at-bat in the top of the 2nd and was ejected. Fortunately, his suspension is only 1 game.

Group E, Round 6, Game 2

Atlanta (2-3, -9, 5th) at Kansas City (3-2, -2, 3rd)

Starting Pitchers

Mike Minor (ATL) vs. Luis Mendoza (KC)

Game Recap

Kansas City- 8, Atlanta- 1 -- Melky Cabrera homered and had 4 RBIs for the Royals, while Jeff Francoeur homered and had 3 RBIs, and Billy Butler added a solo homer. Mendoza went 8 innings of shutout ball, but the shutout was blown in the 9th when Sean O'Sullivan gave up an RBI triple to Brandon Hicks.

WP: Luis Mendoza
LP: Mike Minor

Group E, Round 6, Game 3

Los Angeles Angels (3-2, -4, 4th) at Los Angeles Dodgers (1-4, -11, 6th)

Starting Pitchers

Matt Palmer (LAA) vs. Dana Eveland (LAD)

Game Recap

Los Angeles Dodgers- 3, Los Angeles Angels- 0 -- Another great pitching performance as Eveland went 7 2/3 innings for the Dodgers, and Lance Cormier and Jonathan Broxton completed the shutout. The Angels scattered 6 hits in this one, and lost Alberto Callaspo to injury. Cormier was ejected after the top of the 8th for arguing balls and strikes.

Group E Standings After 6 Rounds

Kansas City (4-2, +5)
New York Yankees (4-2, +21)
Chicago Cubs (3-3, +5)
Los Angeles Angels (3-3, -7)
Los Angeles Dodgers (2-4, -8)
Atlanta (2-4, -16)

*Kansas City leads the group by virtue of their win over the Yankees in Round 2*

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 08-28-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #37
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Wildcard Standings After 6 Rounds

Tampa Bay (3-3, +11)
Toronto (3-3, +4)
Minnesota (3-3, +2)
LA Angels (3-3, -7)
Colorado (3-3, -8)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #38
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group A, Round 7, Game 1

New York Mets (3-3, -9, 5th) at Arizona (3-3, +3, 3rd)

Starting Pitchers

Chris Schwinden (NYM) vs. Barry Enright (ARI)

Game Recap

Arizona- 9, New York Mets- 5 -- The Diamondbacks scored 8 of their 9 runs in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings, highlighted by Miguel Montero's 2 homers and 4 RBIs. Ryan Roberts for Arizona injured himself and the length of his injury will be determined after round 7 is complete.

WP: Barry Enright
LP: Chris Schwinden

Group A, Round 7, Game 2

Oakland (2-4, -5, 6th) at Minnesota (3-3, +2, 4th)

Starting Pitchers

Dallas Braden (OAK) vs. Liam Hendricks (MIN)

Game Recap

Minnesota- 4, Oakland- 3 -- This one was a pitching duel, as no runs were scored in the 4th through 8th innings. In the top of the 9th, Kurt Suzuki led off with a solo homer to give Oakland a 3-2 lead. Bruce Billings came on to close it out, but gave up a lead off triple to Alexi Casilla, then Chris Parmalee walked it off with a 2 run homer.

WP: Anthony Slama
LP: Bruce Billings

Group A, Round 7, Game 3

Boston (4-2, +3, 1st) at St. Louis (3-3, +6, 2nd)

Starting Pitchers

Josh Beckett (BOS) vs. Kyle Lohse (StL)

Game Recap

Boston- 11, St. Louis- 10 (10 innings) -- Don't let the score fool you, as 13 of the 21 combined runs came in just 2 half innings. St. Louis scored 7 runs in the bottom of the 8th, sending 11 men to the plate and getting a big homer from Lance Berkman, giving the Cardinals a 10-4 lead. Boston answered with 6 in the top of the 9th also sending 11 to the plate. In the 10th, Kevin Youkilis hit a solo homer, and Felix Doubrant retired the side in order in the bottom of the 10th to get the save. 8 of the 9 starters for Boston had an RBI.

WP: Michael Bowden
LP: Maikel Cleto
SV: Felix Doubrant

Group A Standings After 7 Rounds

Boston (5-2, +4)
Arizona (4-3, +7)
Minnesota (4-3, +3)
St. Louis (3-4, +5)
New York Mets (3-4, -13)
Oakland (2-5, -6)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #39
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group B, Round 7, Game 1

Toronto (3-3, +4) at Philadelphia (4-2, +8)

Starting Pitchers

Kyle Drabek (TOR) vs. Roy Halladay (PHI)

Game Recap

Toronto- 5, Philadelphia- 1 -- Both starting pitchers worked into the 8th inning, and the big blow came in a 4 run Toronto 5th win Brett Lawrie hit a 3 run homer.

WP: Kyle Drabek
LP: Roy Halladay

Group B, Round 7, Game 2

Cincinnati (4-2, +3, 3rd) at Houston (1-5, -17, 6th)

Starting Pitchers

Chad Reineke (CIN) vs. Brett Myers (HOU)

Game Recap

Cincinnati- 6, Houston- 2 -- Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto both homered for the Reds, who chased Myers after just 4 1/3 innings.

WP: Chad Reineke
LP: Brett Myers

Group B, Round 7, Game 3

San Francisco (5-1, +8, 1st) at Detroit (1-5, -6, 5th)

Starting Pitchers

Tim Lincecum (SF) vs. Justin Verlander (DET)

Game Recap

Detroit- 3, San Francisco- 2 (10 innings) -- A classic pitching duel in this one, with 2 of the best in the game going at it. Both went 7+, turning it over to the bullpens tied at 2. In the bottom of the 10th, San Francisco pitcher Steve Edelfsen gave up a double to Victor Martinez and an infield single to Alex Avila. The Giants brought in Gullermo Mota to pitch to Jhonny Peralta with the infield in, and Peralta singled to walk off and stun the Giants.

WP: Charlie Furbush
LP: Steve Edelfsen

Group B Standings After 7 Rounds

Cincinnati (5-2, +7)
San Francisco (5-2, +7)
Toronto (4-3, +8)
Philadelphia (4-3, +4)
Detroit (2-5, -5)
Houston (1-6, -21)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #40
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group C, Round 7, Game 1

San Diego (1-5, -12, 6th) at Milwaukee (2-4, -9, 5th)

Starting Pitchers

Cory Luebke (SD) vs. Yovani Gallardo (MIL)

Game Recap

San Diego- 5, Milwaukee- 3 -- A 6th inning grand slam by San Diego's Chris Denorfia was the difference in this one, as Luebke went 7 innings and 4 Padre relievers combined to have shaky 8th and 9th innings, but Heath Bell came in to nail it down. A couple notes in this one, as San Diegos Jason Bartlett injured himself and will be out for a time TBA. Also, Milwaukee's Yuniesky Betancourt tested positive for steroids after the game and will miss the next 5 games.

WP: Cory Luebke
LP: Yovani Gallardo
SV: Heath Bell

Group C, Round 7, Game 2

Florida (4-2, +5, 1st) at Seattle (4-2, +4, 2nd)

Starting Pitchers

Josh Johnson (FLO) vs. Felix Hernandez (SEA)

Game Recap

Seattle- 4, Florida- 3 -- The Mariners got 2 homers in the 1st inning and made it hold up. Justin Smoak hit a 3 run homer and Adam Kennedy hit a solo homer. King Felix was brilliant after giving up 2 runs in the 1st inning, not giving up another run in his 7 innings. Despite a solo shot by Omar Infante for Florida in the 8th, it wasn't enough as Seattle's Jamey Wright pitched a 1-2-3 9th inning.

WP: Felix Hernandez
LP: Josh Johnson
SV: Jamey Wright

Group C, Round 7, Game 3

Chicago White Sox (4-2, +1, 3rd) at Tampa Bay (3-3, +11, 4th)

Starting Pitchers

Dylan Axelrod (CHW) vs. Matt Moore (TB)

Game Recap

Tampa Bay- 3, Chicago White Sox- 2 -- The White Sox left 9 men on base in this one, as 5 Tampa Bay pitchers combined to keep Chicago runners from scoring. A.J. Pierzynski had a 2 RBI double in the 4th inning, while Sam Fuld, Casey Kotchman, and Johnny Damon all had RBIs for Tampa Bay. No team scored after the 4th inning, and for Tampa's bullpen it was bend but don't break. Brent Lillibridge for the White Sox was ejected in the bottom of the 2nd and will be suspended for Chicago's next game.

WP: Matt Moore
LP: Dylan Axelrod
SV: Kyle Farnsworth

Group C Standings After 7 Rounds

Seattle (5-2, +5)
Tampa Bay (4-3, +12)
Florida (4-3, +4)
Chicago White Sox (4-3, 0)
San Diego (2-5, -10)
Milwaukee (2-5, -11)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #41
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group D, Round 7, Game 1

Pittsburgh (2-4, -8, 5th) at Texas (4-2, +15, 2nd)

Starting Pitchers

Jeff Locke (PIT) vs. C.J. Wilson (TEX)

Game Recap

Texas- 9, Pittsburgh- 1 -- 2 was the magic number for the Rangers in this one, as they scored 2 runs in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th innings. Mike Napoli, Josh Hamilton, and Andres Blanco all homered for Texas. Andrew McCutchen had the lone RBI for Pittsburgh, surprisingly opening the scoring with an RBI double in the top of the 1st. Despite the victories, Texas had a lot of losses on the field. Taylor Teagarden used an illegal bat and was called out, he will be suspended for 5 games. Nelson Cruz failed a drug test after the game, but the dice were kind to him as he will only be suspended 2 games. Michael Young was injured, but his injury rating is so high that he won't have to miss any additional games (more on that later, as I'll cover the new injury/suspension rules after I finish posting on Round 7).

WP: C.J. Wilson
LP: Jeff Locke

Group D, Round 7, Game 2

Colorado (3-3, -8, 4th) at Baltimore (1-5, -13, 6th)

Starting Pitchers

Kevin Millwood (COL) vs. Mitch Atkins (BAL)

Game Recap

Colorado- 6, Baltimore- 3 -- 1 inning of scoring was all the Rockies needed, as they sent 12 men to the plate in the top of the 1st, scoring all 6 of their runs on nothing but singles. Impressive! Atkins was relieved after the 1st inning, and the Baltimore bullpen was outstanding, not giving up another run. Unfortunately, the offense couldn't get going. Despite a Vladimir Guerrero 2 run homer in the 5th, nothing else came offensively for the Orioles. Colorado had 2 injuries in the game, as starting pitcher Kevin Millwood left in the 4th due to injury, and Hector Gomez was also injured.

WP: Edgmer Escalona
LP: Mitch Atkins

Group D, Round 7, Game 3

Cleveland (5-1, +14, 1st) at Washington (3-3, 0, 3rd)

Starting Pitchers

Mitch Talbot (CLE) vs. Tom Milone (WAS)

Game Recap

Cleveland- 10, Washington- 4 -- The Indians bats exploded in the middle inning, as they scored 8 of their 10 runs in the 4th and 5th innings, respectively. Asdrubal Cabrera and Kosuke Fukudome each had 3 RBIs. The Nats used 7 pitchers in this one. More bad news for Washington, as Ian Desmond went down with an injury.

WP: Mitch Talbot
LP: Tom Milone

Group D Standings After 7 Rounds

Cleveland (6-1, +20)
Texas (5-2, +23)
Colorado (4-3, -5)
Washington (3-4, -6)
Pittsburgh (2-5, -16)
Baltimore (1-6, -16)

Last edited by collegesportsfanms : 09-05-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #42
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group E, Round 7, Game 1

Kansas City (4-2, +5, 1st) at New York Yankees (4-2, +21, 2nd)

Starting Pitchers

Felipe Paulino (KC) vs. Phil Hughes (NYY)

Game Recap

Kansas City- 6, New York Yankees- 1 -- Felipe Paulino tossed a complete game, striking out 9, as the Royals continue to impress in this tournament. Alex Rodriguez doubled to drive in the lone Yankee run. New York was hampered by 4 errors in this one, and 3 of those errors came at the hands of right fielder Chris Dickerson. The other error came from Derek Jeter. Of those 4 errors, only 1 caused an unearned run, so the Yanks were fortunate there.

WP: Felipe Paulino
LP: Phil Hughes

Group E, Round 7, Game 2

Los Angeles Dodgers (2-4, -8, 5th) at Chicago Cubs (3-3, +5, 3rd)

Starting Pitchers

Rubby de La Rosa (LAD) vs. Rodrigo Lopez (CHC)

Game Recap

Los Angeles Dodgers- 8, Chicago Cubs- 2 -- Rod Barajas was the man in this one, as he had back to back 3 run homers in the 3rd and 4th innings, attributing for 6 RBIs. Jamey Carroll and Matt Kemp also had RBIs for the Dodgers.

WP: Rubby de la Rosa
LP: Rodrigo Lopez

Group E, Round 7, Game 3

Los Angeles Angels (3-3, -7, 4th) at Atlanta (2-4, -16, 6th)

Starting Pitchers

Scott Kazmir (LAD) vs. Randall Delgado (ATL)

Game Recap

Atlanta- 3, Los Angeles Angels- 1 -- Delgado gave the Braves everything he had and then some, going 7 innings. With the game tied at 1 in the bottom of the 9th, the Angels turned to their closer Jordan Walden to get the game to extra innings. Alex Gonzalez led off the bottom of the 9th with a double, then after striking out J.C. Boscan and getting Nate McLouth to ground out to second base, Walden grooved one to Freddie Freeman who just got it over the fence for a walk-off 2 run homer!

WP: Christhian Martinez
LP: Jordan Walden

Group E Standings After 7 Rounds

Kansas City (5-2, +10)
New York Yankees (4-3, +16)
Chicago Cubs (3-4, -1)
Los Angeles Dodgers (3-4, -2)
Los Angeles Angels (3-4, -9)
Atlanta (3-4, -14)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #43
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Wildcard Standings After 7 Rounds

Philadelphia (4-3, +4)
Chicago White Sox (4-3, 0)
St. Louis (3-4, +5)
Los Angeles Dodgers (3-4, -2)
Washington (3-4, -6)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #44
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

I have revamped the injuries and suspensions. Basically, injuries and suspensions can range anywhere from 1-5 games. There is still a healthy list of players who are still injured, too much for me to type out at once, so unless anybody is really interested, I won't worry so much about that, and just move on to Round 8.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #45
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

I'm getting ready to report on rounds 8 and 9 of this, is anybody interested in this or am I just writing it for myself? lol
Old 12-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #46
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

In an effort to get caught up with the reporting quickly, and due to the fact that I've lost some of my scoresheets while cleaning house, I'm going to skip reporting on Rounds 8 and 9, and just go straight to the standings after Round 9 for each group, the Round 10 schedule, and the bracket play outlook for each group. Starting with Group A:

Group A Standings After 9 Rounds

1. Arizona (6-3, +12)
2. Minnesota (6-3, +12)
3. Boston (5-4, -3)
4. St. Louis (4-5, +6)
5. New York Mets (4-5, -15)
6. Oakland (2-7, -12)

Group A Round 10 Schedule

Minnesota at Boston
Oakland at New York Mets
Arizona at St. Louis

In every single way, Arizona and Minnesota are tied going into round 10. Same record, same run differential, and they split their 2 meetings in group play, each winning by 3 over the other. Surely something has to give in round 10, as both have tough games. Minnesota has been a surprise all tournament long. If Minnesota can beat Boston and Arizona loses to St. Louis, Minnesota wins the group. On the flip side, if Arizona beats St. Louis and Boston beats Minnesota then Arizona would win the group (the more logical scenario I would think). Another scenario could see Boston beating Minnesota and St. Louis beating Arizona. Then we would have a 3 way tie for first place and it would come down to tiebreakers. Now, if Arizona and Minnesota both win, then it would depend on who wins by more. If they both win by the same amount, then I'll have to dig deep into tiebreakers to figure out who wins the group. Oh boy! The one thing we know for sure is that no matter what, Arizona and Minnesota have clinched a spot in the championship bracket, and a win by Boston will give them the 3rd spot in the championship bracket out of Group A.

Now, as far as the wildcard goes, St. Louis is in a good position, if they can beat Arizona. All 5 wildcard teams are 4-5, but St. Louis is the only one with a positive run differential, so a win over Arizona would put the Cardinals in a very good position. It's even a possibility that St. Louis could end up in 3rd place with a win over Arizona and a Boston loss to Minneosta. However, if they lose, that opens the door for the New York Mets, who just need to beat Oakland to get back in the mix. Oakland is just playing the spoiler role now as they have already been eliminated from the championship bracket and will be playing for a high seed in the consolation bracket. Whew! A lot to take on, and guess what, this isn't even the most confusing group!