Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #31951
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
We don't elect or judge Presidents based on how they act when things are going well. The whole point is how do you respond in a crisis.

Bush didn't cause 9/11 or the Great Recession. But we judge him based on how he responded to them.

Carter didn't cause the Iranian hostage crisis, but we judge him based on how he responded to it.

Etc.

I don't think this is true at all. We elect Presidents, in terms of modern American history, primarily based on how the economy is doing at the time. Doesn't have nearly as much to do with how they react to those changes, but merely who is in charge at the time. This it the main reason why Clinton was as popular as he was, why Obama got crushed in his first midterms but was easily re-elected as the economy improved, why Bush the Elder lost to Clinton, etc. Crisis management matters as well but there often isn't an actual crisis and what people typically want is the problem fixed, whether that's realistic or not; again see Obama and the 'fierce urgency of now'.

I don't think this is right and presidents do have relatively little to do with the economy IMO, but I think the data is pretty clear that in good economic times you stay in power, in bad economic times you are vulnerable, and it matters very little what you actually did to cause/ruin that scenario.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-30-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #31952
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thumbnail-IMG-9210
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #31953
Edward64
Head Coach

McConnell's comments for Cheney (positive) and Greene (negative) is interesting. Hoping this makes the impeachment trial interesting but still don't think there's enough votes.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #31954
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure "wasn't honest or trustworthy" was really that major of a factor but I do think his "handling of the coronavirus pandemic" was the clincher (it was for my wife).

Trump pollster's campaign autopsy paints damning picture of defeat - POLITICO
Quote:
The post-mortem, a copy of which was obtained by POLITICO, says the former president suffered from voter perception that he wasn’t honest or trustworthy and that he was crushed by disapproval of his handling of the coronavirus pandemic. And while Trump spread baseless accusations of ballot-stuffing in heavily Black cities, the report notes that he was done in by hemorrhaging support from white voters.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #31955
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So, not totally Trump related, but I was perusing Ollie North's website through some deep twitter rabbit hole.

However, who do see prominently on the homepage? Our very own Cam Edwards. Man, I can't imagine how weird these threads would have been if he still hung around.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #31956
Kodos
Resident Alien

You must be a rebranded poster?
Old 02-02-2021, 12:42 PM   #31957
JPhillips
General Manager

Cam's still too right-wing and too gun nut for me, but he's been going through some tough times with his wife's cancer.

I always found him to be a thoughtful guy, but I was disappointed that he went to NRA radio and for a while sounded like any other right-wing radio guy.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #31958
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I just looked him up. He's got an epic long beard going on.

Didn't realize his wife had cancer. That sucks.

Fuck that horrible disease.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #31959
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I always found him to be a thoughtful guy, but I was disappointed that he went to NRA radio and for a while sounded like any other right-wing radio guy.

It seems to happen on both the right and the left. A thoughtful original voice rises up high enough in the media ecosystem and ends up becoming Generic Commentator Number 235. You see it with local sports guys who make it national, too.

I guess when the producers are in your ear constantly telling you what gets eyeballs and clicks, you end up doing that instead of what got you there in the first place.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #31960
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting article on the post-Biden confirmation days where a bunch of crazies and Trump believers got together with Trump to figure out what to do.

Too many fun passages to quote (really, you should read the entire article) but my favorite one is

Off the rails: Inside the craziest meeting of the Trump presidency - Axios
Quote:
But Powell, fixing on Trump, continued to elaborate on a fantastical election narrative involving Venezuela, Iran, China and others. She named a county in Georgia where she claimed she could prove that Dominion had illegally flipped the vote.

Herschmann interrupted to point out that Trump had actually won the Georgia county in question: "So your theory is that Dominion intentionally flipped the votes so we could win that county?"
Old 02-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #31961
BYU 14
Coordinator

Wow
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #31962
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
There are obviously winners & losers in any capitalistic society, no doubt. But we'll agree to disagree on how well the economy was doing in Jan 2020, prior to Covid hitting.

Trump's Numbers January 2020 Update - FactCheck.org

The only one of the numbers about Trump's three years that actually had anything to do with he did is the amount of golfing on Trump properties, because that was literally what he was doing when not tweeting or eating junk food. Once something that required actual leadership came up, he crashed and burned as most suspected would happen in 2015 when he trundled down the escalator.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:37 AM   #31963
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Interesting article on the post-Biden confirmation days where a bunch of crazies and Trump believers got together with Trump to figure out what to do.

Too many fun passages to quote (really, you should read the entire article) but my favorite one is

Off the rails: Inside the craziest meeting of the Trump presidency - Axios
Great read. What a train-wreck.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #31964
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
There are obviously winners & losers in any capitalistic society, no doubt. But we'll agree to disagree on how well the economy was doing in Jan 2020, prior to Covid hitting.

Trump's Numbers January 2020 Update - FactCheck.org

No doubt Hoover did a great job till that stock market crash in 1929.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #31965
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Why are Carbon Dioxide Emissions +0.5% a good thing? Or an extra almost 2M without insurance?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #31966
JediKooter
Coordinator

It also leaves out how much inflation rose during his tenure.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #31967
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It does include the CPI (+6) and the rise in federal debt.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #31968
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

‘Q Shaman’ From Capitol Riot Hasn’t Eaten In Over A Week Because Jail Won’t Offer Organic Food, Lawyer Says
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #31969
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wish I could be so committed to a diet.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #31970
Kodos
Resident Alien

It'd be a shame if he croaked.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #31971
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

People are going to go to jail for this pathetic man.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #31972
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Why are Carbon Dioxide Emissions +0.5% a good thing? Or an extra almost 2M without insurance?

SI

Unless I missed something, I don't think the list was intended to be all positives. Just a non- comprehensive list put together by... somebody.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #31973
BYU 14
Coordinator

I didn't know basing a religion on your Baldurs Gate character was considered legit.

I guess if I ever go to jail I can request a paleo diet based on my Barbarian.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #31974
Edward64
Head Coach

George Conway in the news again with "the moral collapse of the Republican party".

I don't disagree but IMO the Conway family needs to stay out of the news and focus on therapy/help on their family dysfunction, especially the daughter.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/
Old 02-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #31975
GrantDawg

They are reporting half the Republicans congressional caucus stood and applauded MTG when she spoke. She is the face of the Republican party. No longer conservative, only racist conspiracy theorist.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-03-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:16 AM   #31976
RainMaker
General Manager

Conway was leaking details about Clinton's penis to Drudge 20 years ago while working alongside a white supremacist. If there is a moral collapse of that party, he is part of it.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #31977
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

People are going to go to jail for this pathetic man.
I cringe to think of what it is going to be like if/when Trump gets his twiiter back. People just can't help retweeting and reacting to his every tweet (much like they are doing with MTG). They think they are somehow hurting them, but really they just feed the beast.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #31978
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...RL3QXALNWXZ2BQ

Basically, every former living President, except for Trump, took part in the National Prayer Breakfast.

This guy's entire life has been spent trying to belong to the most exclusive clubs. And he is voluntarily declining to participate in the most exclusive club of them all--the Ex Presidents--because he is so small and petty.

It is Shakespearian.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #31979
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
NRA filed for bankruptcy today but says they will reform in Texas to get away from the "toxic political environment" in NY (and no doubt the State Attorney General of NY who is looking into a criminal case to defund them)

So a federal judge saw right through this, and let the NRA know that. So lawsuit from the AG in NY to shut them down completely back on the front burner.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:56 AM   #31980
BYU 14
Coordinator

Yet justice is still served, and with an even longer sentence, thanks Bevin.

Pardoned Kentucky killer sentenced to 42 years in prison
Old 01-19-2022, 09:06 AM   #31981
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes, that was big news here, and was among a number of very controversial pardons Bevin handed out on his way out.

Bevin attempted to be what DeSantis is now - out-Trumping Trump at his own game. But he was such a despicably nasty person - often unprompted - that he gave himself so many self-inflicted wounds and ended up handing the state to a Democrat governor while the rest of the state went solid red. I'm glad he was such an asshole, because I couldn't imagine what Kentucky would look like with him handling Covid.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:07 AM   #31982
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I guess we should be glad that double jeopardy has a loophole?
Old 01-19-2022, 10:38 AM   #31983
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I guess we should be glad that double jeopardy has a loophole?

Double jeopardy has never applied to different jurisdictions. For example, the officers in the Rodney King incident were acquitted in their state trial, but later convicted in a federal trial.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #31984
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Hence why I called it a loophole. The whole dual sovereignty principle violates the spirit of double jeopardy in my opinion. You're giving prosecutors more than one chance to prosecute a crime.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:07 PM   #31985
RainMaker
General Manager

Committee just subponead some folks tied to this. Not sure what will come but at least someone is investigating the funding behind a terrorist attack since the FBI is sitting this out.

Alt-Right Groups and Personalities Involved In the January 2021 Capitol Riot Received Over $500K In Bitcoin From French Donor One Month Prior - Chainalysis
Old 01-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #31986
Atocep
Coordinator

It's funny that Trump likely thinks he stacked the Supreme Court for himself when it was Mitch pulling the strings.

The Supreme Court denies Trump's bid to block release of records to Jan. 6 panel : NPR
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:49 AM   #31987
Edward64
Head Coach

Q is 2. I'm glad we've got "suspects". Hopefully MSM will start scrutinizing these 2 guys, come out with more stuff, and more will come out.

But bottom-line. Did these 2 do anything that they can be charged with? I'm guessing no.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/19/t...s-authors.html
Quote:
Now two teams of forensic linguists say their analysis of the Q texts shows that Mr. Furber, one of the first online commentators to call attention to the earliest messages, actually played the lead role in writing them.

Sleuths hunting for the writer behind Q have increasingly overlooked Mr. Furber and focused their speculation on another QAnon booster: Ron Watkins, who operated a website where the Q messages began appearing in 2018 and is now running for Congress in Arizona. And the scientists say they found evidence to back up those suspicions as well. Mr. Watkins appears to have taken over from Mr. Furber at the beginning of 2018. Both deny writing as Q.
Quote:
“At first most of the text is by Furber,” said Mr. Cafiero, who works at the French National Center for Scientific Research. “But the signature of Ron Watkins increased during the first few months as Paul Furber decreased and then dropped completely.”
Old 02-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #31988
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Serious question: why does it matter who Q was/is? The problem is the number of people buying into it. The way to combat this kind of thing is to do a better job of inoculating society against nonsense, not to pretend that we're ever going to be able, in the internet age for goodness sake, to stamp out opportunistic people who spout conspiracist hogwash. Or ignore the great damage that will and to a degree already is being caused by trying.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 02-20-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #31989
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Serious question: why does it matter who Q was/is? The problem is the number of people buying into it. The way to combat this kind of thing is to do a better job of inoculating society against nonsense, not to pretend that we're ever going to be able, in the internet age for goodness sake, to stamp out opportunistic people who spout conspiracist hogwash. Or ignore the great damage that will and to a degree already is being caused by trying.

In my field, I try to get to the root cause of any problem. Finding the genesis of anything is part of that analysis. But yeah, I think Q has taken a life on its own and those 2 are not as relevant in current day.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #31990
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

By showing who it is and how 'small' they are you hopefully take a brick out of the wall. They have portrayed Q as being an 'insider' in the top echelon of gov't and by showing with evidence that that couldn't be farther from the truth perhaps it gets added to the evidence and will eventually have a handful of people from killing others, themselves, destroying their lives or others etc along the way to finding out just how far the rabbit hole goes.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #31991
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Serious question: why does it matter who Q was/is?

It matters because the followers insist it's something other than it really is. It's spawned a a vast array of extremists, who are the biggest threat to American democracy we currently face. It's grown beyond 'teaching' people to be better thinkers. You should understand that by now. Because education is for suckers. There's not a logical conversation that you can have with someone who has gone down the rabbit hole. They have been brainwashed, and their belief system can only be challenged by removing them from the system itself. So legitimately exposing the underlying creators, and all the bs that they have spewed over the years undercuts their financial stake (which is substantial) and undercuts the real dangerous people like Mike Flynn who have weaponized this belief into a power structure that is exploited by real people with power like trump. Q has gotten to the point now that it will morph into whatever the 'next big thing' is, but taking out the actors, and removing any sort of validation from the 'things' they believe in will limit it's spread.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #31992
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It won't do any of that though and we know it. People who follow Q aren't following it because of the evidence - it isn't there. There is a pattern of hand-waving away anything that doesn't fit the narrative. That's what conspiracy theorists do. There's already a huge amount of evidence that they're wrong on so many points, and it just get dismissed. A little bit more in that direction doesn't accomplish anything. That's the point I was trying to make - instead, we need to get better at limiting the number of people susceptible to this kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
It's grown beyond 'teaching' people to be better thinkers. You should understand that by now. Because education is for suckers. There's not a logical conversation that you can have with someone who has gone down the rabbit hole.

Right, but this seems to me to flatly contradict your idea that this actually matters. If this is true (and I agree that it is), then adding more fuel to that fire does no good. What we need is education and attitude adjustment *before* people go down the rabbit hole. I.e., prevent the problem from getting worse, cut off the source as much as possible, and then also be willing to engage the entrapped people - not for the sake of arguing them out of what they think, but because of the psychological positive impact that occurs when people are legitimately listened to.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 02-20-2022 at 02:03 PM.