Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Training for a 5K

Running my first 5K in a few months.

Started training today. First week is just 30 minute walks and goes up gradually from there.

Mostly doing it to get in a little better shape. I am not in terrible shape, 6-1 and 217. Like most almost 40 somethings I could stand to lose a few pounds.

I would be happy losing 20 pounds, getting more flexible,and betterd cardio.

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Good luck with it! I'll be following along!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
hoopsguy
General Manager

Good luck! I ran my first a little over a year ago.
Haven't lost 20 pounds yet. Don't think there have been seismic shifts in flexibility. But cardio has definitely improved.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would be happy just to have a bit more energy and lose some weight around my mid section and chin.

She has our schedule set up to run 3 days a week and crosstrain one. I am going to not try and obsessivly track my weight.

The 5K is to benefit a local foodbank and I invited 112 coworkers to run as well, so I am committed at this point.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Hey, welcome to the fold

I'll be following along too. Remember that weight loss happens in the kitchen and fitness happens in the gym (or at the track ) and that you can't outrun a bad diet.

Just saying cause I lost 35 of the 42-43 lbs I've lost so far (going from 203 to about 160-161 lbs) before I even started running. I'm maintaining my weight now so since picking up running, all I've done is increase my food intake, make better choice of food and improve my cardio immensely.

About losing the weight around the midsection, sadly fat goes off wherever it wants to go off. Lose enough of it and you'll see a difference but don't be disappointed if it doesn't go off where YOU want it to go off.

Oh, and have fun! Not all run should be purgatory-like.

FM
Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would be happy just to have a bit more energy and lose some weight around my mid section and chin.

She has our schedule set up to run 3 days a week and crosstrain one. I am going to not try and obsessivly track my weight.

The 5K is to benefit a local foodbank and I invited 112 coworkers to run as well, so I am committed at this point.

Quick question: when you say "she has our schedule set up...", who you refering to? A trainer? Your wife?

FM
Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Hey, welcome to the fold

I'll be following along too. Remember that weight loss happens in the kitchen and fitness happens in the gym (or at the track ) and that you can't outrun a bad diet.

Just saying cause I lost 35 of the 42-43 lbs I've lost so far (going from 203 to about 160-161 lbs) before I even started running. I'm maintaining my weight now so since picking up running, all I've done is increase my food intake, make better choice of food and improve my cardio immensely.

About losing the weight around the midsection, sadly fat goes off wherever it wants to go off. Lose enough of it and you'll see a difference but don't be disappointed if it doesn't go off where YOU want it to go off.

Oh, and have fun! Not all run should be purgatory-like.

FM

Lot of wisdom in this post. You can't out-exercise bad diet. I've lost 30 pounds, and it was mostly due to better eating. I stopped drinking soda, cut way back on meat and processed foods, and really upped my fruit and veggie intake. Walking then running were a factor, but if you want to lose weight, it comes from what you eat.

My double chin has finally gone away for the most part, and my belly is in decent shape. Still have a little way to go there. Need to start doing my planks if I want to look good.

Good luck in your training. I'll be following along.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-03-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Quick question: when you say "she has our schedule set up...", who you refering to? A trainer? Your wife?

FM

That would be my wife.

I don't want to give off the impression I am some out of shape slob. I am in decent shape, just could do better.

I have been eating better. Carbs and beer are the big culprit for me. We cross train on Tuesday nights, rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes, about 6 miles. Feel pretty good today.

Weighed myself this morning, down to 214.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Carbs and beer are the big culprit for me.

I know that there is alot out there about how bad carbs are for you, but actually carbs are very important for runners. It is our fuel so to speak, burning it for energy is more efficient than burning protein or fats. You need the protein for muscle growth and recovery, but the carbs are the fuel.

The trick though is the carbs you want are vegetables/fruits or whole wheat non-refined grains. One of my biggest weaknesses is pastries for instance, and that would be a bad carb example

If you like carbs such as breads, then try to stick to whole grain/non-refined breads and its not nearly as bad (as long as you are using that fuel to run/workout which it sounds like you are)

Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I don't want to give off the impression I am some out of shape slob. I am in decent shape, just could do better.

I have been eating better. Carbs and beer are the big culprit for me. We cross train on Tuesday nights, rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes, about 6 miles. Feel pretty good today.

Weighed myself this morning, down to 214.

That's really not the impression I got. The impression I got was that you are a whole lot like I was before I got tired of being overweight. I was far from obese at 203-205 but even at 5'11", I was definitely overweight. And I got that way while training in karate 2-3, even 4 times a week on my way to black belt and 2nd dan. When I say you can't outrun or outexercise a bad diet, I was the prime example of that.

I lost all the weight by "simply" counting calories, reducing portions and stopping the whole finishing of kid's plates when they left something... Not saying it's easy, but it was fairly simple.

FM
Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I know that there is alot out there about how bad carbs are for you, but actually carbs are very important for runners. It is our fuel so to speak, burning it for energy is more efficient than burning protein or fats. You need the protein for muscle growth and recovery, but the carbs are the fuel.

The trick though is the carbs you want are vegetables/fruits or whole wheat non-refined grains. One of my biggest weaknesses is pastries for instance, and that would be a bad carb example

If you like carbs such as breads, then try to stick to whole grain/non-refined breads and its not nearly as bad (as long as you are using that fuel to run/workout which it sounds like you are)

I'm not very good about avoiding bad carbs but I also see carbs (for now all of them, good or bad) as my fuel. I do run a lot and I know I need to refuel for my muscles to grow and recover. Life's too crazy for me to start avoiding stuff. I like to see it as controlling but not restricting completely

For one, I was always good about veggies at dinner but now I eat a lot more of them at lunch too...

FM
Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

I'm not interested in converting anyone here but I am very confident this isn't necessarily true for someone training for a 5k and may not be true for anyone but the most elite athletes. First result of a google search:

Ketogenic diet does not affect strength performance in elite artistic gymnasts

Anecdotally, if you search the keto subreddit for 'Marathon' you'll get a huge number of results. From reading through a few posts it seems that training for and running a half marathon on a full ketogenic diet (less than 20g carbs a day) is fairly standard. Training for a full marathon typically involves carbs on long run days and marathon day itself.

Lots and lots of keto folks that train hard do what is referred to as a "Targeted Ketogenic Diet" (TKD), which basically means adhering to less than 20g carbs/day except specifically before periods of intense exercise, consuming some carbs then and only then.

Again, not trying to convert anyone, but some things I consider to be misconceptions do come up quite a bit

Last edited by Radii : 06-04-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Autumn
Head Coach

I recently started doing this and was struck low by my knees. I'm guessing the problem was in my feet--I just have a regular pair of sneakers, and as a kid I had problems with my arches and had to get custom orthotics. I haven't bothered with good arch support or orthotics for 20 years because it just doesn't come up for me, but apparently running is asking too much. Unfortunately I can't really afford orthotics and so I've abandoned the effort. I could try buying better shoes, but I'm not sure it would be enough and I hate to blow the money if it's not.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

About 3 weeks in and its going well. Between diet and running I am down about 9 pounds. I have more stamina running. I seem to like running on a track better than the neighborhood. Right now it is still alot of walking with the running, but its going great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I recently started doing this and was struck low by my knees. I'm guessing the problem was in my feet--I just have a regular pair of sneakers, and as a kid I had problems with my arches and had to get custom orthotics. I haven't bothered with good arch support or orthotics for 20 years because it just doesn't come up for me, but apparently running is asking too much. Unfortunately I can't really afford orthotics and so I've abandoned the effort. I could try buying better shoes, but I'm not sure it would be enough and I hate to blow the money if it's not.

I would try a running store. I know the one I went to has a return policy if the shoes aren't working for you.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

amazed it has been almost 2 months. I starter running 30 seconds/ walking 4:30. I am now up to running 2 minutes and walking 3 and feel great.

I had to take the last week off. I strined my achilles and needed to ice/ rest it. I think the week actually did me good as I felt really refreashed yesterday.

I am down almost 20 pounds already and am now at a point where I want to go running.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice! Sometimes it takes a while to get your body ready for running on a regular basis. I had a lot of trouble with tight hips last summer, but eventually was able to overcome that obstacle. You just have to work your body into it. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Great job Lathum. You're doing well! Keep it up!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #18
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until today. Definitely following!
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
hoopsguy
General Manager

Glad to hear about the weight loss, progress, and the transition towards actually enjoying running. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pretty happy with myself. Decided to see how I would do running 5K. I went 20 minutes straight, stopped for about 3 minutes, then finished it off. Ran it all in 35 minutes.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
britrock88
Pro Starter

Damn all these motivating influences...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

Nice work! Breaking 30 will be a great feeling.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #23
timmae
College Starter

Following your thread... good stuff Lathum! I've tried to stay away from timing anything but I am running similar distances and close to those times. I've tried to allow for a large amount of time to stretch after my runs to try and limit any small tweaks or injuries. Working well so far.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hit 201 on the scale yesterday, can't wait to be in the 100s.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #25
BYU 14
Coordinator

Nice, great job!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hit 201 on the scale yesterday, can't wait to be in the 100s.

Almost there! Great job!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #27
hoopsguy
General Manager

Hopefully by next week; keep up the good work.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So the race is just over a week away. I am down to 198, so under 200 and really excited.

We went to the outlets and got me a bunche of new cloths since all my pants are 2-3 sizes to big. I have had a lot of people commenting lately about my weight loss as it has become very obvious in my face.

I havent been able to train as much since my son started pre K and my kids are in 2 different places. I am confident I'll be able to do the race no problem, and am excited to get it done.

At my heaviest I was 227 and now am at 198, amazing how much better I feel, especially my back.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The race was today, amazing it has been over 3 months. They haven't posted official times, but I finished just over 30 minutes by a few seconds. Really happy with that time as my previous best in training was 35 minutes. Felt really great to do it. Thinking about doing a 10K Thanksgiving AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
hoopsguy
General Manager

Congrats on training, finishing, weight loss, and lifestyle change. Not surprised that your run time was better than training times ... hard to approximate the adrenaline rush you've got for that first race when training. And having others running around you nudges you to sustain effort where it is easier to pull back when on your own.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I broke down crying at the finish line. Not because of the accomplishment, but because 3 months ago I was diagnosed with a disease that is a death sentence for many not willing to change their lifestyle. I decided to own my diabetes, not the other way around, so I can be here with my family for a longtime. Today was a big step towards that.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #32
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Great job Lathum! Not only with the running but also in trying to take control of your health.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #33
Alf
Pro Starter

Well done Lathum !
Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice run, and glad to hear you are taking charge of the diabetes. I'm amazed at people who are diagnosed and go on doing what they were doing all along.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thanks all.

Just saw the official results

30:16. 176/448
Old 09-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #36
timmae
College Starter

awesome stuff lathum... you are inspiration for my first race next month!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #37
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Congrats Lathum!
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So, 3 weeks later and my heel has been bothering me since, hurt really bad the first week then would come and go since then.

Finally decided to go to the doctor and turns out I have a fractured heel. Stress fracture from pushing myself durning the race. In a walking boot for 2 weeks.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #39
timmae
College Starter

Oh no! That sucks... at least you were able to confirm what is wrong. I'd probably be bullheaded and try to play it off for a few months while probably doing more damage to it. Sending thoughts your way!