Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #51
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Reginaldo is starting at MR, and Daniel C is moving to the AMC spot. Very quiet first half, which just an injury. Then Djaniny hits Rondon breaks the offside Trap and scores at the 43rd minute. 1-0 half. We begin with an injury to Reginaldo, so I swap him out for Joao Barreto. Sequeiro is in next. A bit more, not a lot. Coelho is in at the 85th minute, while I remain at Counter. They move to a 4-2-4 and take a few bad shots. Even get a couple of corners. But we win, on the road, against them 1-0. MOM is Rondon.

At the end of 2013, we are in 4th place after 14 games with 22 points and a +2 CD:

1 – SL Benfica, 35 and +30
2 - Braga, 31 and +16
3 – FC Porto, 23 and +7
4 – Madeira, 22 and +2
5 – Sporting, 22 and +5 (why are they not in 4th?)
6 – Rio Ave, 22 and 0

From 13th to 4th, we moved up quickly, but we just have two more easier games before the rough stuff hits us again.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #52
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Before I leave behind 2013, I want to take a quick look to see if any folks are coming free of their team here in a short bit. Anybody coming off a roster? We have a good number to look through. Any diamonds in the rough? Any bargains worth hunting down? I send out some scouts for a few folks like Mutombo, Bruno Bergamin, Aquiles Ocanto or Leo Fernandes – young players with something to prove and give. I’m getting an ML to come off injury soon, so we don’t need someone there right now. We’re good at lots of places right now, just a little would help.

Our unbeaten six games in a row is a new record for us. To be fair, we were very lucky. Sure, we’ve won four in a row, but the first two wins were one goal victories off penalty kicks. Otherwise, we’d not be here. People would have talked about how long it had been since winning (since we had some losses before those tow ties, which led into the four wins). So, of our 22 points, we’ve gotten 14 in the last six games.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #53
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The League Cup was drawn. Group A is not that bad – Arouca, Braga ,Maritimo - we didn’t get matched up against a Big Three team. Although Braga won last year. These matches have been scheduled for..right now really.

Group A:

Madeira at home vs Maritimo – Dec 29th
Braga hosting Madeira – Jan 15th
Arouca hosting Madeira – Jan 25th

My scouting reports returned. Any bums in here worth signing?

Nah, Nah, Yes but he won’t come to us, Nah, yes but too pricey, yes plus but too pricey, Nah

Here are ones I like but too expensive – Paulinho, Very good AMC, ST, MR, ML, AML, AMR, and even MC. So flexible and awesome. Also great at set pieces (16 free kick, 15 corners, etc) – would be a great pickup up, and he’s 27/ And he’d come, but, he’s starting t 5.750 a week. Whoa – my club will let me pay up to 5500 – that’s crazy – I’m just 1800 below my cap right now. Maybe I could wait unil January, I’ll often get a notice from my board saying I’m doing better, would I like to change our goals, and give me more money if yes. I’ll hold off. But I do like him. A lot. Plus he’s cheaper than the guy I just licked Jackson, of Toronto FC.

Joao Aurelio was named Team of the Week – Skolnik is back from injury and hale, but not match fit at all.

Jardel, on loan, is out for 2 months with an injury

We will be moving Skolnik to the starting spot. But I may pull him early.

League Cup Time!

Braga and Aroulca tied before this match. So if there is a winner, they’ll have the early lead in the group. Rondon gets the ball on a break and lofts a beautiful pass down half the pitch on an onsides Djaniny, who finishes 1:1 Vs the keeper. We score before 5 minutes have passed. Rondon misses a beautiful and deep pass by Candeais. Candeias then lofts another cross to Rondon in the 19th minute, the GK gets to the ball and punches it free, and Rondon gets to it, has three defenders on him, so he passes to Djaniny who is certain to score against an open net and sinks it. 2-0 in the first 20 minutes. A cross and header at the 28th minute put Maritimo within one goal at 2-1. Mexer gets a yellow. Reginaldo and Candeais play a back and forth pass on the right side until Candeias feeds it to Reginaldo, playing the AMC spot, who then scores. 3-1 at the 37th minute. Then Rafa intercepts a pass deep into their territory and lofts it to Djaniny who plays it to Rondon who scores in the 42nd minute. 4-1. Half time. Rafa is injured badly and down to 49% in the 55th minute to I pull him for Costinha. I also pull Mexer too, I don’t want a double yellow to give them a path back in. In heads Rodrigues. Even Costinha is up for it, he makes some interceptions and such. Assuming we don’t have a collapse of epic proportions, I think we’ll have some excited fans after this victory in the Cup against our rivals. A Rondon-Djaniny goal is called offsides in the 65th minute. They score in the 69th off another cross-header. 4-2. They get a 3rd goal in just two minutes later and things have changed just like that. They get in another score two minutes later. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. I go aggressive and make my final sub. Marcal wastes a nice offensive move with a crazy long shot. Penalty kick in the 89:35 mark on our guy. Skolnik. Rondon sinks it. I move to Counter. We win, 5-4. Once again, we live by the penalty kick.

Djaniny is MOM – this was a new record high for goals scored in a single game of the event. It is also a record number of goals scored in a match for us – we have never scored 5 in a game before.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:31 AM   #54
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Contract Time

I sit down with Djaniny and tell him in no uncertain terms that he needs to knock off going to the press, and he respects it. He has the hot leg, I’ll keep him in for now. I think we had to work through the whole he was first team, and then I moved him down thing. His old manager screwed him over, signing him to a five year deal for first team for a team that had someone better, and was with a tactics that used just one striker, and then loaned in Kayke, who is also better. But he’s giving me good football right now, so he’s up, and hopefully we can use him for a few years in the better rotational set up.

I look through my 6 month contract so see what I may want to do. Right now, in my opinion, my rocks to build around are Daniel C., Joao Aurelio, Mario Rondon, and maybe Skolnik and Diego B.

I have these contracts ending – Diego B, Daniel C, Edgar Costa (on loan), Marcio Madeira (on loan), Carlos Mariano (but he get another year added to his deal if he plays enough games), Joao Barreto, Rui Silva (on loan) and Joao Camacho. I have no problem letting Silva, Barreto, Camacho, Madeira, or Costa go.

I can hold off on making a decision about Diego. But Daniel has been playing very well for me. He’s 25, so he has a lot of football left. I need to keep him. Problem is we are paying him 2.3k and he wants 6k t begin. He’s worth it, for next year. But not right now, my salary is too tight. So I’ll hold off for a bit. But I will soon.

What about people coming off in 6 months on my shortlist? I take a look to see what I can see.

For example Daniel Montenegro would blow the pants of Diego B. He’s 34, but still. Guy has great speed, 14 pass, 14 cross, 15 techqnieu, 14 drib, OTB 15, this guy is a stud. And he’ll play for 4.5k. He may only give me a year or two, but he’s awesome. Matias Defederico is much younger (24) not as good, but still would outclass Diego at the AMC spot. I could get Victor Zapata, 34, from Argentina (all of these folks are) to outclass and become my new DMC.

So, who do I want more – Daniel or Matias?

37 or 24? The guy who is much better but will deteriorate, or the guy who is not as good, but may get better? Let’s compare them?

According to our handy dandy comparison tool:

They are about the same mentally, aerially (they both suck), technically. Matias is better at speed. Daniel is better at physical stuff. He is slightly better at attacking and creativity, and Matias is slightly better at technical stuff.

Well, considering that, I’m going Matias. Although I lose a good set-piece person, I get someone who may be a key player for years. And if not, he’ll retain value for transferring. We agree to a deal for 4800 a week and remove the annoying clause to match higher earner. They’ll think about it.

Are there any players of note not on my shortlist?

I scout a few folks to see.

I also have come across an interesting middie – Luigi Bruins, 26, plays for OGC Nice. Decently fast (12/12), can play every mid position, even DMC. Has some really nice stats – 16 passing, 15 drib, 16 technique, 14 in first touch and long shots, and so forth. He intrigues me. He even has 12 cross for the wings. He could be AMC, DMC (poorly), MR, ML, MC if I had it, AML or AMR, and he even plays an unconvincing bit as a Striker. He’s a nice matilda man to come in, and play anywhere he’s needed. I love his versatility. But he wants 12k to begin negotiations. Here’s another versatile man, Geert-Arend Roorda, 25, can play every central position from Striker to DC. From his 14/13 jump/head to 15 pass, 13 mark, 12 tack, 14 technique, and 13 finishing, he is even respectable in DC or ST. He would be better than Rafa at the DMC, or replace a DC or an AMC or ST. Whatever is needed. Not bad either.

Here’s another that we really like – Javi Espinosa, currently on the Barcelona B team, just 21. Worth just 250k but has a nasty good scouting report. He came back with a 5 star review for potential. And, he can play every mid-position plus Striker (although ST and DMC are not great). Plus he just has an 8 finishing, so I wouldn’t push that. He can play right, left, middle, attacking, and normal. He’s contract is up in six months, and he is not on anyone’s radar. So he’s on my radar to make an offer next year.

We finishing scouting a few others and looked at reports. There are a lot of options out there.

And that ends 2013

Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 AM   #55
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Portugese League's first tiebreaker is head-to-head, not goal difference
Old 04-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #56
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ah interesting. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #57
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

January 2014

I select a new expectation – Top Half Finish. I thought about taking it to EURO Cup, but that’s just 1k a week more in budget, not worth the gamble. My budget has been raised considerably.

January 3rd – Home vs Vit. Guimaraes, Taca de Portugal
January 12th – Home vs Beleneses
January 15th – Away at Braga, League Cup 3rd Phase Group A
January 19th – Home vs Sporting
January 25th – Away vs Arouca, League Cup

So three Cup matches and two league ones.

These people impressed – Freire, Marion Rondon and Joao Aurelio

Messi wins World Golden Ball, Cristiano Ronaldo is 2nd and Neymar was 3rd.

Kevin Volland, 21 years, was the Golden Boy of European Football.

An Arouca player got Player of the Month, and Mario Rondon came in second. I came in 3rd in league voting this month for Manager of the Year.

My scout in Romania added a youth player to our list and I checked him out – Andrei Marc, he’s pretty solid as a DC. Just 20 years old. His contract is up in 6 months. He might be my target for DC.

On the first we officially sign Matias Defederico. He’ll arrive next year.

The next day I make an offer to Andrej Marc, since he’ll sign for a lesser amount. I accept a transfer offer for Claudemir from Panathinaikos.

I extend my contract for a year with Madeira.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #58
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Game time!

In the first three minutes Candeais crosses to Rondon for score. We almost score again in the 20th as the ball pops lose tight but after a few bumps and fumbles its cleared out. Reginaldo gets a score in the 33rd. A pass by Rafa hits in dangerously close, and the ball is tackles but not cleanly, and he takes it and scores. Rafa, Djaniny pulled for Coelho and Adriano. Sequeira for Reginaldo was picked up a knock. Game. 2-0 win by us. Rondon is MOM.

We are through to the Quarter finals

The next day, Andrei Marc agrees to sign with us. I try to find someone who speaks his language too, maybe a cheap youther or two. He speaks French, Hungarian, and Romanian.

I had a nasty agent for Espinosa, so in order to force him away and get a better deal, I jacked up the Agent fee, and now I’ll massage my budget to increase my transfer fee to cover it, in case they agree. It’s a lot of money (7k a week) but we can manage it.

We have accepted the transfer of Claudemir, and we get 30k.

I offer a contract to Andrei Dumitrascu, a Polish/Romanian 16 year old lousy Middle, as well as 16 yer old GK Rares Rus, with the same pair.

Espinosa signed. We have loaned a few players, and in most cases, their wages are being covered. So we have our three major signings for next year.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #59
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

These eight teams are in the Quarters of the Taca:

Farense
Maritimo
P. Ferreira
Sporting
Us
Porto
Benfica
Vit. Setubal

So the big three are all still there. Time to sort out who plays who:

Farense home vs Benfinca
Us home vs Setubal
Ferreira home vs Porto
Maritimo home vs Sporting

I was hoping a big Three Pair. This means that at least one Big Three makes it to the final (unless they get knocked off by a non-big three) Not to be, sadly. We have a decent draw – home against a team 9th in the league right now. We play in February

Old 04-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #60
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I signed a few more youth folks plus my two targets for Romanian language love.

One of my new signees was really hot – 6 clubs offered him a spot – Jose Goncalves, 16, who can play MC< AMC and ML. A guy like this with an 18 work rate and good stats already(and a high scouting rating) is pretty keen. We even beat out our rivals Maritimo for him.

Today’s home game against injury plagued Beleneses, who was just promoted, is expected to be a blowout for us. I put Adirano back in for Reginaldo, leaving in Djaniny at ST. I register Goncalves, give him 45 and select him for today’s sub squad.

Braga lost 4-1 to Porto, so this is a window to move up in the table. I started the game, and then got a call and forgot to hit pause. I came back to halftime and we are up 3-1. I tell them good job. And then I toss in Goncalves and Ali. In just a few minutes, Rondon gets what is apparently his second goal when Adriano lofts the ball deep and perfectly for his attack run. Rondon gets a hat trick off a Djaniny assist two minutes later at the 50th minute. They strike back at the 69th minute. Rafa gets a yellow and I sub him for Costinha. Rondon is MOM. 5-2 win for us. Other scores were by Djaniny and Daniel Candeias. Mexer got an Own Goal though.

Rafa is suspended due to too many Yellows

Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #61
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I hold a backroom meeting and it is suggested that Costinha would be amenable to a mutual termination. Ah…I offer it, but the board block it. Ah well, I’m okay with that.

Our Gk Gottardi and Rondon were Players of the Week. Diego is back from injury but I’ll rest him.

Today is our League Cup match away at Braga. I begin Countering. Rafa sinks a DFK in the 7th minute, but then they score again five minutes later off a powerful shot from just outside the box. A Rondon I make goal is called offsides two minutes later. They power a shot in off the left side after dribbling it in in the 30th minute. A second DFK by Rafa is dangerously on target but barely blocked and caught by their GK in the 44th minute. They score off a cross and header juts seconds before the half and we are down 3-1. Two Braga players get yellows after the half early on. But then they score again in the 56th minute. I make a few changes but we are getting clocked here. Our chance of getting out of the Legaue Cup is evaporating as time times off. And they score again in the 81st minute. We get a corner from Skolnik to Freire who heads it in to score in the 88th minute. Skolnik is fed the ball by Marcal and his shot is pushed aside. We lose 5-2. After just winning a game by the same score, this is rough.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #62
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Maritimo beat Arouca. So the points are thus:

Braga – 4, +3 GD
Maritimo – 3, 0 GD
Nacional da Madeira – 3, -2 GD
Arouca, 1 ,-1 GD

So there is very little chance of us winning. Martimo plays Braga. If they tie, and we win, then we get in. Otherwise, it basically won’t happen. There are just four groups, each group’s winner is in the Semis.

Stats for the 1st half of the season:

Mario Rondon has the 2nd best form (7.45). The other top five are ALL from Benfica. He leads the league in goals by 5 – 14, the next highest is at 9. He also leads with 6 MOMs, no one else has more than 3. Rafa has the 2nd most yellow cards. No one has run more than Daniel Candeais. Diego and Daniel have covered more ground per 90 minutes than anyone else either. GK Gottardi has 6 clean sheets, one less than the most at 7. Diego has 13 key passes, 5th in the league. The most goals ever scored ina season in the Primeira Liga is 46, so we won’t be duplicating that. But still, you have to be proud of how Rondon has just fired out of the cannon with all cylinders.

Now we begin the second leg of our season, and, like before, expect some difficult games, beginning with Sporting. I start loanee Saleh Gomaa in Rafa’s place. Diego B is in the AMC spot like normal, and Adriano is coming in for Djaniny. Skolnik has been hit around a bit in the first 12. I’m currently on Standard, just to see how things probgress and then Candeias scores in the 13th minute. Diego found him on the flank from a very busy center and he scores. A very long shot fired from mad range when our GK is out of position rifles off the goalpost and over the goal. Whew! They foul Skolnik in the corner box in the 23rd and we get a penalty kick which Rondon of course sinks – we are up 2-0 in the 24th minute. They launch a nasty counter attack and a vicious shot on target which our GK manages to turn aside – powerful attack move. Goal by Adriano called offices in the 36th minute. It seems contentious, and people think it shouldn’t have been called. They kick a DFK on target but we push it over for a corner. Yellow to Gomaa. And that’s the first half. I remain in Standard for the 2nd half. I sub out Gomaa for Costinha in the 60th. I don’t want a double booking to give them a way back in. Another Adriano goal is called offsides – they have set up a nice little trap. They just avoid scoring in the 64th when a ball is shot, on target, and our GK can juts deflects it, and both Mexer and one of their guys pounce on it, but we are just a little bit faster. I swap Adriano down to Diego’s spot, and put in Djaniny in the ST spot in the late 60s. We have a great drive in the 60s with two shots on target deflected. They kick another long shot from range and find target in the 76th minute. I put in Sequeira for Aurelio. Another shot by Rondon is stopped on target. I move to counter, in the last 10 minutes. We have a bunch more shots in the 80s. Costinha gets a yellow. And that’s game. Once again, we win off a corner. Candeais is MOM. Our first victory over a Big Three club.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #63
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I make offers to a few scouts – I want to increase our network. Our first scout arrived – USA’s Daniel Capecci. I add a few young folks from his scouting to my shortlist. He has one that’s not a the top of his list, but I like him – MC May Mahlangu, from South Africa, currently unsigned, 25. He can play MC, DMC, MC, ST, MR, and ML. He’s a more flexible backup than Costinha, and he’s better. I order a scout to check him out, what kind of money/deal is he looking for?

Our next scout signs – Ze Rui, from Cape Verde, capped three times as a player. I want him to scout parts of Africa for me. As a former African international myself, I know there are a lot of untapped players there. What can we uncover? He’s in Western Africa right now, while Daniel is in North America.

Today we have our difficult League Cup match vs Arouca. Win, and if there is a tie in the Maritimo-Braga game, we win this bracket on points. I move Rafa back in to start. We are favorite (they have two major players out). I order us to begin with a normal Standard set, and see how things flow. Candeais crosses, not to Rondon who is held back but to Adriano who is open, and he finds the net in the 3rd minute. One minute later Gottardi stops a similar play from happening on the other side of the pitch. Shot by Skolnik is on target, and butted away for a corner, and we are keeping up pressure through the 15th minute. We injure one of their players and they have to sub in the 25th minute. Rafa picked up a knoc, and I pull him for Miguel Rodrigues and order his role to be moved to defensive from support. Half time. We have some more nice moves, and then I order us to move to Counter. Skolnik has been injured a bit and I pull him for Carlos Mariano. Final sub – Reginaldo for Diego B. Then They hit a dramatic late equalizer in the 93rd minute and its 1-1. I tell them that wasn’t good enough. There was a tie in the other game. Had we not conceded the late goal, we’d be in the Semis. That sucks

Old 04-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #64
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The report returns on Mahlangu. He wants too much to join. Although , I don’t think so at first, he looks better than I thought at first. 15/14 speed. 16 stamina. 13 passing doesn’t suck. Other than a 7 in leadership, every mental stat is at least an 11. Save for jumping at 9, every physical is at least an 11 too. I know him (He played in the Swedish Premier Division for three years). He speaks Swedish and English, like me – no issues there. I’m already bringing in two new midfielders though. Do I have space for another? Enough soccer balls to go around? I don’t think so. Now, if I had a 3-5-2, then maybe.

Whoa. Someone just made an offer to transfer Mexer. Him and Aurelio are my most in form defenders. We’d get 75k now, and 22k over two years, plus 20% profit from next sale. His contract is up in 2015. I just don’t feel like I want to move my best DC right now. Plus he’s a fellow player from Mozambique. I say no thanks. I had to pay him 1000 a week more for another year, but he’s worth it. I don’t mind too much.

I’ve been fairly lucky on injuries so far, save for the one I inherited with Skolnik. Should I sign someone today (31st) in order to protect myself from injuries? Nah, I’m good. What about a loaner? Nah.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #65
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

February

1st – Away against Braga
4th – Home vs Vit. Setubal, Taca
9th – Home vs Arouca
16th – Away vs Estoril
23rd – Home vs Vit. Guimaraes

Player of the Month – Daniel C came in 3rd. I came in 2nd in Manager vote.

We were pleased with Sequeira, Diogo Coelho and Dejan Skolnik In training this month.

Djaniny will start across from Rondon today. The last time we played at Braga we lost 5-2. I begin countering. I tell them to get revenge. It lights them up. Diego B hits Djaniny for a score in the 19th minute from the left side. Half time. Gottardi has pushed away a lot of balls today. So far, in the 51st minute, they have had 6 shots on target he’s had to deal with. Some were struck with real verve. They cross dangerously and score in the 58th minute. I pull Aurelio for Zainadine Junior. Another cross-header scores for them in the 61st. I pull Mexer for Rodrigues and Diego B for Adriano. Powerful DFK by Rafa is on target but pushed aside. We go attacking in the last 15. And that’s it, we’ve lost 2-1.

Our first loss in a while, actually, in league play.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Cortiba have made an offer for Marcal, my DL. They have offered 185k. That’s a lot of money for us. But Marcal is the best DL we have. He’s young, and he’s cheap (1.1k/week) and he’s signed through the end of next year. He’s also pretty good. However, I’d not sure that I want to keep the 4-4-2 diamond next year. I could sell him, move to a 3-5-2, bump Aurelio to MR or DC and be very comfortable. What I have never liked about Marcal is the lack of jumping/heading he has. However, dude is fast – the fastest of my starters at 17/16. He’s just 24. Marcal may want this – he might like heading back home to Brazil. (In real life, I could ask him. Do you want to head back home, or are you enjoying your football?) If I refuse the offer, will he demand a significantly enhanced contract I can’t pay? But I have a ton of depth at the DL/DR spot. I can sell him, and cover with Z. Junior, Sequeira, and more. His average rating is 6.77. He has appeared in 23 games – tied for the most with Mexer and Gottardi. He’s probably one of my best money/ability people on my squad, but this is a nice offer, and it’s staggered over two years. I negotiate. I negotiate it up to 205k and an additional 25k over a year.

Mexer agreed to our new deal. I move Sequeira to the starting DL slot for our Taca game today against Vit Setubal. I begin controlling. I slide back to Standard after a quiet 12 minutes. They have been controlling it bunches, so I slide to Counter in the 22nd minute. 0-0 at the half and they dominated in the first half. They have 10 shots and 6 on target to our 1/1. They score in the 69th. I make changes and go attacking. Rondon gets a pass from Candeais and ties it up in the 76th minute. I pull back to Standard. We almost score again in the 86th. Extra time. One extra goal lads, that’s it! Daniel gets a yellow at the 104 mark. They shoot and score in the 118th minute on a Mexer mistake. They win. We lose, at home, 2-1 to Vit Setubal. That sucked too.

I admitted in the PC that Vit Setubal outplayed us and deserved the win, and their manager is pleasantly pleased. They did though., they outplayed us from the 1st minute.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #67
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Marcal has agreed to the transfer. Goodbye buddy! Man, half the team is either pissed off at Mexer, or wants to help him overcome his mistake.

Next up is our league match against Arouca. Here are the games we’ve had against Arouca this year:

Away at Arouca, League, Loss, 0-1, Sept 1, 2013
Away at Arouca, League Cup, Tie, 1-1, Jan 25, 2014
Home vs Arouca, League, ???

Arouca is the 14th ranked team, out of 16, in the league. They are not exactly a heavy hitter. They are an island in the midst of a big set of games, and we need this win to stay out of the oasis and keep up with appearances.

I begin controlling. I slide to Standard after they begin about the same level of power as us. Rafa gets a yellow (surprise, surprise). They score in the 28th minute. Sequeira a yellow, and I move to attacking for the last few minutes of the half. Half time. Djaniny scores to open the second half. Rondon headed a pass from Diego to him and Djaniny ran and scored. I pull my en-yellowed folks out. I move to Control late. Our GK is stopping some nice possessions. We tie, 1-1, Djaniny is MOM, and I get pissed at them in the locker room. Man, we can’t do anything against Arouca.

Djaniny was Team of the Week.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #68
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Costinha approaches me and wants to leave. I agree to move him at the end of the season.

Time for the next game against Estoril. I begin Standard. Candeais hits Rondon with a cross which he heads into goal in the 8th minute. They call a Candeais goal in the 16th offsides. We get some pressure, but nothing else cracks in, and its half. I pull a disappointing Rafa for Coelha. Rondon with his second goal off a Djaniny pass that set him on an attack run in the 57th minute. They claw one back just a minute later after an amazing save by our GK floats right to another guy who scores. I move to countering. Sub #2 – Diego out, Adriano in. Adriano has a beautiful run and shot, blocked barely by the GK. I pull a damaged Skolnik for Carlos Mariano. Mexer collects a yellow. They collect a second yellow in the 87th minute and a player is ejected. We win 2-1 away. Rondon is MOM.

By appearing in his 15th game, Mariano got a 1 year extension. I make an offer to Daniel C. It ended up being more, because our budget improved, but he’s still playing very well.

Apparently my comments about the game and coach last time against Vit. Guimaraes manager Rui Vitoria were enough to cause him to storm out of a press conference just before our game.

For today’s game, I massage my roster a bit. I start Z Junior in the DL’s spot, Adriano for Djaniny, Reginaldo, for Diego B, and Mariano for Skolnik. I start out standard. Adriano feeds Rondon who feeds the net in the 7th minute. Another one in the 8th is called offsides. Candeais makes what might be his prettiest cross of the season to Rondon perfectly in front of the goal and at an awkward angle for the Gk and Rondon easily taps it in. 2-0 in the 16th minute. Carlos Mariano scores his first goal of the season, after a shot by Adriano rebounds and Carlos finds it and knocks it in from decent range. 3-0 in the 26th. The old man striketh. Half time. We half dropped major leads later so we cannot get complacent. And they score in the 48th minute to begin just that. Candeais knocks in another cross and its poorly defended while trying to box out Adriano and they get an old goal. I sub out Rafa and Regilando for Coelho and Sequeira. Frere comes out for Ali later. We’ve had lots of powerful possessions and shots. This could easily be 6-1. We win. MOM is Daniel Candeais.

Mexer and Daniel were in Team of Week.

7 players called – up – Jose Moreira, JP Cardoso – Portugal U 19; Joaquim Sousa, Port U21; Mexer, Junior, Reginaldo – Mozanbique; Rondon – Venezuela

Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #69
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

March

2nd – Away at Maritimo
9th – Home vs Ferreira
15th – Away at Porto
22nd – Home vs Benfica
30th – Away at Academica

This is the last stretch of bad games. We are on the road against our rival – never easy. Before, we did poorly hereto, before picking up steam in the latter half of the first half. So, March will be officially known as Woodshed Month here in Madeira.

Impressing in training this month are Djaniny, Coelho and Mariano. Rondon wans 2nd in Playre of Month voting.

Back to normal starters for today’s game – can we defeat our rival on the road? I begin defensive. We miss a chance to score early when a great shot rebounds. I move to Standard. Late in the half, Skolnik cross to Candeais who puts it in, when the defense was expecting the two strikes in position to get the ball. Half time. Keep it up. These are our rivals at home, they won’t let up. Around the 55 mark I move to countering. I throw in Adriano for Djaniny. Out comes an injured Sequeira for Z Junior. They’ve had a lot of good opportunities. And then Freire hits a header off an Aurelio corner kick and we are up 2-0 at the 75th minute. Whew. Hopefully that buys us a cushion. I put in Reginaldo for Diego B. Adriano gest a goal in the 80th minute. He sprung on a tackled ball. They get a long shot in the 89th but its called offsides. We shut them out, on the road. Ouch! MOM is Joao Aurelio.

They sacked their manager right after the game. I liked him to, we had a nice rapport going. Five players were named in Team of the Week – Mexer, Freire, Aurelio, Candeais and Skolnik.

Maritimo’s new boss loses to Olhanense 5-3.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #70
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We are playing three nasty games in a row against the 6th, 3rd, and 1st teams. Wow. That’s not tasty.

This one is at home, and winnable, or at least tie-able I hope. Djaniny breaks free with a nice pass by Diego B. However, they foul him in the Penalty Box with a professional foul. The player is red carded, and we get a penalty kick. Rondon is on target, his shot rebounds off the GK. I make a few changes to our strategy, since they are down a man so early. (4th minute). Exploit the Flanks, Higher Tempo, that’s good for now. I also move us to control. They get a DFK into the goal in the 21st minute to tie things. We’ve had opportunities to score.. Like just there when Frere knocks into another Aurelio corner kick. I had told my lads to tackle harder, mark tighter, and press more. We’ve had a lot of shots on goal. Half time. I pull us off the hard stuff and up the tempo even more. They kick a cornerand Diego heads it away but into the goal. I yank him for Regilando. Rondon marches down with the ball, passes it to Djaniny who shoots, is on target, bounces away, and Rondon pounces on the rebound for a score in the 54th minute. Aurelio finds Djaniny for a cross and puts it in two minutes later. I sub in Z Junior for Sequira, and his goal one minute later on an IFK is called offsides. Mexer for Ali. Candeais finds Skolnik who sinks it in extra time. We win 5-2. MOM is Rondon.

We got lucky there with the early red card. Freire, Skolnik, Rondon – Team of the Week

One of the coaches talks to me about Skolnik and Djaniny’s contracts. They say both players may want to renegotiate soon. Our loanee was not getting gteh agreed upon time so I called up their manager and he agreed to give him more.

I move Adriano back into the starting lineup. His speed should help in playing the counter attack game. I tell them to get revenge for the last game. They are up for it! Skolnik scores in the 8th minute. He pounced on a rebound when Daniel C shot and his on target ball fell after deflection by their GK. We were on the counter-attack led by Diego Barcelos up the flank. They level up 8 minutes later – they just out ran my defense. Both teams have had good offensive attacks go dry at the end. They cross and connect for score in the 28th. Half. Rafa knocks down a DFK in the 53rd. And its tied. Oddly. Yank Freire for Rodrigues. Later, Sequieira for Zainadine Junior. They score in the 75th minute to head up 3-2. I pull out a tired Rafa. They get a goal called offsides in extra time. That’s game. That’s not a bad effort lads.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #71
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

On March 18, we get a new set of players. Can we find the next C. Ronaldo? Whoa! We have a guy with a five star scout review. That does not happen. I guess welcome to Portugal! Hernani Costa, DC – Portugal youth Candidate. I take a look at the rest of the Youth Candidates Team. Either Portugese players tend to be massively better than other youthers (to respect history I suppose) or we just got an amazing lot of young talent.

I sign many of them – they have good work rates and lots of talent. I made offers to 11. Get this, when you look at our team page, Costa is listed as our Hot Prospect, when it used to be either ST J Sousa or the GK.

Alright, Benfica time. Get revenge – rar! Standard is fine, we’ve run the game a bit in the first 10. But then they score a few minutes later in the 16th. A pair of nice attacking moves by us are turned aside. Diego B nets a yellow. He’s not playing well either, so I yank him for Reginaldo. Adriano gets caught in a Trap. They get another score off a cross and header after half time. They also make a deep cross that winds up off target in the goal. Yuck. We need that luck. Z Junior in for Sequeira. I put in Djanany for someone and move some folks around to drop Adriano to AMC. In the 87th minute Rafa is injured and goes down and we are down a man. We lose 0-3. We had the same number of shot son target as they did – they were 12/4 and we were 10/4.

Kayke asks to terminate his loan, and I agree.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #72
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The final March game is here. No changes to the lineup. But they score in the 7th minute. That’s not what I want. After a very frustrating half, Skolnik hammers one in off a pass by Diego B ro set him up. 1-1 half time. Adriano gets the ball right after halftime, runs deep, then passes to Rondon for the score, at the 45:23 mark. 70 seconds later they return the favor and its tied again. Sequeiro out, Junior in. Adriano scores. Diego feeds him the ball and the GK has to come out, Adriano smashes it hard, the GK can just push it up but it bounces in. 3-2 in the 63rd. Rafa gives away a PK. They sink it and its 3-3. Rafa is pulled. Adriano with a score on the break. Rodrigues for Freire. We hold on and win 4-3. Yay Comebacks!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #73
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

April

6th – Away at Gil Vicente
13th – Home vs Olhanese
19th – Away at Rio Ave

We loved Diego B, Rafa and Sequira for training.,

Adriano was in Team of Week

Game time! They score in 32 seconds. Candeais sinks the equalizer at the 18th minute. Back in business. Rest of the game is rather quiet, and we tie.

I need 10 points to guarantee qualification for the Euro. We have four games left. We’re in 4th, with 45 and +12. In 5th is Sporting with 42 +6 as is Ferreira as well. I’m 10 points ahead of 7th place Rio Ave. However, 3rd and 2nd are 11 points ahead. So we likely are not cracking that in four games. The focus has to be on staying in the Euro spots.

Reginaldo is injured in training and will be out for 2 months.

The Olhanese game has arrived. I begin controlling. Freire collects a yellow early. Then they foul Adriano and donate a penalty. Rondon sinks it for a goal at the 24th minute. We miss a few shots – not even on target. They have been struggling. We injure a player on their left wing and they are forced to replace him. Half time. Keep it up, don’t let up for a second. I slide back to a Standard tactic. Then they score in the 48th minute. Cross to header. Sequeira to Daniel C, who shots, collects his own rebound, shoots again and sinks it. I yank three players – Adriano, Freire, and Rafa. We hold out for the win. 2-1. MOM is Candeais

Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #74
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, now we need 7 points in 3 games. A bit more doable. Still in 4th, still one game up on Sporting.

Porto and Vit Setubal are in the Finals of the Taca.

Next game is up. Hello Rio Ave! You are looking so lovely at 7th. Away, I begin countering. They score in the 7th minute. Then Adriano answers in the 9th. Rafa nailed it off an IFK to Adriano’s leg to their goal. They score off an IFK in virtually the same way, but a heder instead of a kick, in the 24th. 2-1, them. Half time. Sequeira gets a yellow. Freire one too. Rafa notches one. I pull out Freire first and move to standard tactics. Rafa next. Diego gets injured in the 77th minute so I put in Djaniny and swap his spot with Adriano’s. They get a break away score in the 84th minute. We sink a DFK by Rafa – how is he still out there? I guess my sub order went in, and the injury one supplanted it? I swap Mariano for Skolnik instead. I go attacking. Mariano grabs a yellow. We even have a header on target by Rondon in extra time, but caught by their GK. Carlos Mariano has TWO shots on target, a shot, and the rebound, both blocked by their GK. Game. We lose 3-2. Not good.

Luckily, Sporting hosting Porto lost 0-2.

With two games to go, Benfica have won the league.

Benfica also win the league Cup against Porto 2-1. Rafa has the 2nd League Cup Goal of the year.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #75
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

May

4th – Home vs Vit Setubal
11th – Away vs Belenenses

Good job Diego, Diogo, and Aurelio for training and stuff! Rafa had the 3rd best Goal of the Month.

Benfica ties Sporting today in the 2nd to last game. That gives us a window. Rio Ave won.

Here we go, all hands are on deck. Right now, with a game in hand, we are up by 2. If we win, we are in. If we tie we are likely in (we’d be up by +5 GD and 3 points heading into the last game).

I start Djaniny tonight. I have a feeling. We’ve had many opportunities to get that first goal in the first 25. It’ll crack, I have faith. They score in the 26th. Djaniny gets an assist from Rondon and equals us in the 34th. Rafa collects yet another yellow. I swap him now. Mexer gets a score off an IFK from Candeais. His first on the season – half time 2-1 us I pull Sequeira, who has a knock, for Z. Junior. They score in the 75th minute. I move to attacking. Skolnik crosses to Rondon, who heads it in the 86th minute. Back to Standard. They answer immediately in the 89th. I go overload. That’s the game. That was a letdown, 3-3 tie. I reveal my pissed-off nature and they looked fired up.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #76
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We qualified because we at least get 5th, the 6th team I not a threat. Can we keep fourth, and tie our best finish ever? Probably.

Right now, Belenenses are 15th and in the relegation zone, but just one point up is Vit Guimaraes who has been 16th most of the season but recently crawled out. Vit G has a huge GD, so Belenenses has to beat us, with a tie or defeat by Vit G to evade relegation. They are up for this.

My W African scout has uncovered a lovely little Ivory Coast gem, Moussa Diallo, 18 years old. I may try to make a play for the AMC soon.

Our game is away and afoot! I start out attacking, to see if I can push them around. Diego scores in the 6th minute off a Candeais cross. I pull back to standard. They have been moving against us a lot. They have collected two yellows already. Half time. Skolnik has been beat up so I put in Carlos Mariano. Djaniny grabs a goal in the 56th after Diego hits his attack run in stride. I sub in Adriano and Rodrigues. Game. We win 2-0.

MOM is Diego Barcelos. Good for a guy leaving us at the end of the year.

We had a major move today, I’ll show you the charts in the bit.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #77
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

2013-2014 Final Standings:

1 Benfica
2 Porto
3 Braga
4 Nacional da Madeira
5 P Ferreira
6 Sporting
7 Rio Ave
8 Academica
9 Arouca
10 Estoril
11 Maritimo
12 Vit Setubal
13 Olhanese
14 Vit Guimaraes
15 Belenenses
16 Gil Vicente

A high flying first season!

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 04-27-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #78
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

What did we learn:

We are better than we thought

Benfica and Porto are crazy good, and Braga is right there with them. It will be tough to crack that egg

We have some good talent to build around, but we need to push.

We made 1.23 m for our final position. Rondon won the Most Player of the Match Award. He gets the Top Goalscorer Award too. Rondon wins Forward of the Year. Rondon also was in the Team of the Year. (7 of the players were from Benfica).

We win the Fair Play Award.

I hold the end of the season meeting. I tell everyone to return, I want to qualify again for the Euro. Why not a second time?

Yearly Training Review –

Yay to: Rafa, Sequiera, Joao Aurelia, Jota and Diogo Coelho
Boo to: Carlos Mariano

Freire and Diego B were in Team of the Week

Old 04-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #79
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

League Stats!

Rondon rocked 24 goals. The next highest was 17. Djaniny had 7.

Daniel C was tied for 3rd most Assists with 11. Djaniny rocked 7, Adriano 6, Diego B and Aurelia 6 as well, and Dejan Skolnik and Mario Rondon 5.

Rafa was 5th in yellows with 8

Rondon’s 8 MOM was 3 more than the next person

Daniel C was 12th in dribbles per game with 3.03

Daniel Co covered more distance than anyone by 14 kilometers. Diego was 7th, Joao was 14th

Distance covered per 90 minutes? Barcelos, Skolnik and Candeais are all in the top 3. Mariano is 8th and Rafa 9th.

Gottardi had 8 clean sheets, 4th most.

Diego B was 3rd in key passes with 27, Rondon 5th with 23

Mexer was tied for 2nd with key tackles with 22. Freire had 20.

Mexer led the league in key headres with 75. Freire was 4th with 62.

Mexer led the league in interceptions with 306. The next was (272). Freire was 5th with 249. Aurelio was 11th with 211.

Rondon finished 5th with a rating of 7.35

We conceded 40 goals in 30 games, the 5th best. We scored 54, 4th best. At 3, we had one of the worst goals from corners. We were in the middle with IFK and DFK goals. Our salary is the 11th highest. We had the 14th worst attendance. If you are not the Big Three, Braga or Vit Guimaraes, you didn’t even break 5k. Those all had 13k or more.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 04-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #80
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Really good DC Hernani Costa is already starting for Portugal’s U19 squad. That’s crazy. Let’s look at him:

5 star scout report, 16, DC, born 19/3/98, born right here in Funchal, Madeira. Ambitious,

Physical: 9, 11, 10, 13, 6, 9, 11, 10
Mental: 3, 8, 10, 8, 11, 7, 10, 3, 4, 8, 5, 9, 14, 15
Technical: 6, 3, 6, 3, 11, 5, 11, 5, 2, 13, 10, 8, 12, 6

Not really that different from a lot of youth stats here in Portugal. He must have great potential. To be fair, he has good DC stuff already – 13/11 jump/head, 13 mark, 10 pass, 12 tack, and so forth. He has a lot of growth to do.

Porto crushes Vit Setubal to win the Taca.

Portugal’s season is officially over on May 18, We have officially been given our spot in the Euro. We will enter at the Group Stage, because we get the best slotting.

I came in 2nd in Manager of the Year voting – Ferreira’s manager won.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #81
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

My Personal Player Assessment:

GK – Eduardo Gottardi – Adequate, contract for 2 more years. Baptista backup, Jose Moreira, youther my 3rd choice

DC – Mexer – Pretty Good, contract for 2 more years, Freire, solid, not spectacular, signed for 3 more years, new guy is Maca, we’ll look at him later. We also have Miguel Rodrigues and Ali as backups for 1 and 3 years respectively. And we have Hernani Costa and Jose Pedro Cardoso as young players with good potential.

DL/DR – Joao Aurelio – Strong DR, and is also a good AMR, AML, competent ST, MR. Signed for 2 more years, and strong player. DR Zainadine Junior is more of a backup guy, who can also spell at the DL spot. DL Sequeira is also just adequate, and was not sterling after we sold Marcal. Carlos Mariano can play DL, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Other than Aurelio, our backs and rotation folks are weak here. Do I keep a DL/DR role on my team, or move them elsewhere?

ST – Mario Rondon, have 2 more years, he’s 28. He starts. Adriano is a 26 year old guy who still has a lot of speed and potential, but never showed it overly much on the pitch. Djaniny, with his 4 years left, is a Cape Verde international at the age of just 23. He did well for us. 18 year old Douglas Jardel will be finishing up his loan soon, he’s a hot prospect and factor, as is 17 year old Joaquim Sousa. Jardel is getting better and is a legit option for #4 right now, as is Sousa for #5. I don’t see any need to bring on another ST.

Middies – We have our two new additions, which I am looking forward too. Daniel C has locked down the MR spot for us hard core. His contract is up in two more years of play. If you look at his skill set, you’d think he was just a guy, but he outplayed it. As long as he keeps doing that, he’ll have a home here. ML Dejan Skolnik is adequate, but not sterling. Despite a better skill set than Daniel, he was never in the same league on the pitch. We have him for another year, and I need to see more. Rafa pissed me off. We have him for 2 more years, but I was constantly wasting a sub on him for his yellows or stamina. Costinha is on the transfer list as per his request. Reginaldo is a decent backup, but not that good.

We have a few players that have been with us most or all of their lives, coming up from our youth ranks – Jota, Nuno Campos, Sergio Duarte, Diogo Coelho. None of these folks are good enough for my roster next year, not even as backups or rotational guys.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #82
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I need to figure out my strategy now for my roster. Do I want a formation with 4 in the back? If so, I need to find a replacement for Marcal. If not, if I am running a 3 DC defense (my preference in virtually every dynasty) then we’re good. For example, I’ve often been comfortable with a 3-5-2 or a 3-1-4-2 (with a DMC). Lots of teams runs a 1 striker offense in the league. One of the issues with the 4-4-2 diamond was I got beat in the midfield constantly. That’s just an innate issue, when you move the two MCs to DMC and AMC. Would a 3 DC set up be good against a league heavy in 1 Striker formations? I think that’s why my DL/R attacked a lot, 2 DC was enough. I don’t know though.

I’m leaning towards a 3-5-2. But here are how many people play exclusively a fullback (or wingback) spot that won’t have a place. Zainadine Junior, Nuno Campos, (Sequeira almost – I can run him in the AML role or even push him for Striker). And then these middies won’t have a place to go since I would not be running AML or AMR either. Sequeira, Reginaldo (he’s weak in the AMC, ST, or MR spot). However, I would be opening up MC spots for Costinha (on the transfer list), Jota, Sergio Duarte. Not major admissions to the party, obviously. But still, we lose a lot. And if I don’t have a DMC spot, then where is Rafa? If I don’t run an AMC spot, bad things might happen. I know the demand on a winger in that role, do I have that in Daniel? Not really. You need some defensive ability, and with a 6 tackles and marking, that’s just not going to be enough. The wingers are the single most important part about getting it right, to my mind. I ran a version of this in Ipswich with 3-1-4-2 and a DMC in there ,in order to accentuate Matthew Holland’s ability. I call it the Holland formation after him, and I still know all of the things needed to make it work. I need better jumping/heading on my DCs, for example, to deal with the crossed balls, and I don’t have it where it needs to be. So, for now, 3-5-2 is not in the cards.

Which saddens me. I was thinking about a 3-4-1-2 with an AMC role. Therefore, I will be playing some form, somehow, of 4 defensive players. So I need a DL. Time to hit the market.

Many were taken, but I do like Francisco Molinero, 28, from Murcia, who can play DR or DL and is leaving soon – I can get him for free and sign him for roughly 5k a week. He’s not a bad option. Any others I can find? Edgar Castillo wants too much. If I want to go youth, there’s Jordan Amavi at 20, or the slow stylings of 31 year old Aureliano Torres. He’d also be a set piece specialist, and with skills like 16 crossing and 14 passing, he’s has good technical skills. But he can’t head/jump, which is sad. But a set piece specialist might be worth it. Getting a guy with 14 corners and 16 cross is strong, as is 15 free kick and such. Long shots of 15, not great finish of 8, and such. I compare him with Sequeira. Torres is massively better at defending, but Sequeira is not bad at the rest comparatively, and better at speed and physical and aerial and technical. I don’t want to bring in someone to split time with Sequeira. I want someone to push him out of contention completely.

Actually, I think I might have found my guy. Hold up. Lemme scout ‘em

It’s basically this guy or Francisco Molinero. They are the class. Francisco outclasses Sequeira for a DL spot. I can get him for free, right now. Or I can try to transfer in this Portuguese guy named Luis Martins, 21 years old, started for Gil Vicente last year. He’s about as good as Sequeira is now, but our scout’s love his potential. He’s transfer listed, and would be cheaper on the salary. Martins to Sequeira is already better at defending by a lot, mental, and a bit faster. Sequeira is better at creativity, attacking, and they are equal in technical, physical. But we like Martins’s potential, and he’ cheap and just 21, I just have to pay the transfer kitty. Molinero is the obvious answer. Martins is the better answer. Plus, in one year of having half the salary, Martins will pay for the fee easily.

We sign him for 175k and everything is done. It seems like we basically swapped Marcal for him! You’ll see when he arrives, it was the right play.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #83
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I head to my board and they agree to allow me to get more coaches.

Now I want to go staff hunting.

I make an offer to a 2nd Fitness Coach, 2nd GK Coach, and another coach you might know…

I get new budgets on June 2 - 57k a week and 300k transfer kitty. Glad I paid for my transfer with last year’s money!

Jose Moreira is happy to sign his grown up contract – welcome again lad, and backup GK guy!

We have signed a new coach – Ruud van Nistelroojj. They reject my other offers – they gave me permission for just one more coach apparently. Ah well. Welcome aboard Ruud! He’ll be teaching tactics much better than our current guy, who was double booked anyway.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #84
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP!

Mario Rondon collected the European Gold Shoe award today, June 10. That is crazy. I have never even won that award before!

He had 48 points from 24 goals. 2nd place was Manolo Gabbiadini for Sampdoria, and Fernando Llorente of Juventus was 3rd.

Portugal slipped to 6th place in the European Nations Table, now behind France.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 04-28-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #85
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright, let’s do this World Cup thang –

I’ll keep you up on stuff I find interesting. I begin by looking at the groups. Anything jump out?

My guess for qualifiers:

A – Sweden, Brazil
B – Holland, Chile
C – France, Germany (also has Mexico and Ecuador)
D – Argentina, Belgium
E – Uruguay, USA (They have Turkey and Algeria here too)
F – Spain, England
G – Colombia, Russia (If this had a power African side, like S Africa or Ghana, I’d go with it, but Zambia won’t make it out –Ghana is in the side with Australia, Spain, England, and S Africa has to match with two powers in Group H)
H – Italy, Switzerland

Not in that order, mind you, just my predictions for whose getting out.

Whoa! Japan crushed Argentina 3-1.

No other major upsets in the first round of games.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #86
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Both Sweden and Brazil cruise in their first two match and qualify before playing the 3rd.

2nd round done, some surprises – Group B, Greece and Chile hae just 1 point while Iran is in 2nd place with 3. They could get promoted. Group C has France and Germany, but Mexico is tied with France with 3 points, but just has a lower GD right now. In Group D, Japan managed to take points from Belgium in a tie. That means Belgium, Japan each have 4, and Argentina has 3. If Japan can beat Morocco, they will make it. That means if Belgium win or tie, they are in, if Argentina wins they are in, and if Japan wins or Belgium wins, they are in. Currently, Japan even has a +2 GD to Argentina’s -1, so Japan will win if they lose, and Argentina ties, if the GD is not made up. In Group E, USA is at 6, Turkey and Uruguay are each at 3. Ghana has a win and the same points as Spain, but a better GD. They face England next, but if they do something amazing, they could knock out Spain.

Alright, let’s play the last round of games in the Group Stage.

Group B finishes, Iran tied Greece in their game, Holland knocked out Chile so they knocked Greece and Chile out. Iran made it out – nicely done Persia!

Group C saw France stave off any Mexican Miracle. In Group D, Japan and Belgium both won, so Argentina lost two stage games. They both finished with 7 points and a +5 GD. So Japan, technically won this Group according to the next TB.

In Group F, Ghana won their game, and all three teams (Spain, England, Ghana) finished with 6 points, but Ghana had the lowest GD with +1, and the others had +2.

The Round of 16:

Brazil vs Iran
Sweden vs Holland
Belgium vs Germany
Japan vs France
England vs USA
Uruguay vs Spain
Switzerland vs Russia
Colombia vs Italy

So Japan knocked out Argentina and my guess of Chile was replaced by Iran. Not bad.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #87
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Now that we are nearing the end of June, I need to head back and focus on my club for a bit. You’ll get WC results laters.

Soon we have 10 loaners returning to us, as well as several players leaving, and several staff leaving, including both physios.

We gained a bit in the Portuguese club rankings and rep. We were the biggest Overacheiver last year in the league.

Mario Rondon, no surprise, was voted Player of the Year four our club by the fans.

The Media Prediction this year is 5th. Our value has increased to 12.25 M, and we just got a ton of money for the league. I can choose the season expectations. I push my board to Euro Cup to get the extra cash. We get a lot more money and transfer bucks.

We have released 10 players and staff today, June 30. I make an offer to Mike Rayner to be our head physio for hundreds less a week than the other guy, and with better stats.

I also lost my GK coach, so I offer again to the one refused by my board, who is better.

This is a good time to see if any bargains were released. I’m not looking for anything, but I’ll go shoe shopping with the best of them! I can’t anyone though. Ah well. I’m relatively content right now. Anyway, let’s head to July and bring in my new folks!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #88
Grover
Pro Starter

Would a USA/Iran final be possible? Shades of 98 all over again.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #89
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Enter my five new people:

ST, AM RLC Matias Defederico, 25, Argentinian, 4.8k weekly through 2017, speaks Spanish and Portuguese, Looks like he got a little better since I signed him – nicely done. We signed him for Huracan, in the 2nd Division of Argentinian Football. He had a 7.27 rating season with 19 goals in 35 games. Guy can produce. I suspect either him or my next guy will be in the AMC spot. Stats?

Physical? 15/15 speed, 14 agility, 13 stamina, 12 fitness, 8 balance, strength, 7 jump (The classic “little guy”)

Technical? 11 Cross, Finish; 13 Pass, long shots; 15 Technique, dribb, first touch; 7 Head, 6 Tack, 5 Mark,
Set Pieces? Long Throw? 4, Corner -13, free kick – 13, Penalty 15.
Mental? 17 Flair, 16 Determination, 14 Bravery, 13 OTB, 12 Work Rate, Anti, Comp, Creativ, Decis, 11 Concent, Teamwork, 10 Leader, Aggression, 5 Position

That’s not a bad guy at all.

Welcome to the team!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #90
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Would a USA/Iran final be possible? Shades of 98 all over again.

It sure would be!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #91
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Next up, MC, AM LC Javi Espinosa, 21, Spanish, 7k per week through 2017, Speaks Spanish and English, can play every mid-position, and ST. Signed from Barcelona’s B Squad. 5 star scout rating for potential. Last year played in 38 games, 7.04 rating, 2 goals, 11 assists. Another classic little guy that can play on the wings, MC, or AMC as needed. We invested a lot of salary into him, but expect to bear fruit quickly. Ready? He is an incredible signing…

Physical? 13/12 speed, 15 agil, 13 stam, 11 fitness, 8 balance, 7 strength, 6 jump – Not great ready? Now hold onto your butts!

Technical? 16 Passing, Technique, 15 First Touch, 14 Drib, 12 Cross, (Corners, Free Kick), Long Shot, 11 Penalty, 10 Finish, 8 Head, 7 Tack, 6 Throw, Mark - For a 21 year old with a 5 star scout ranking? That’s a great place to currently be at for us.

Mental? 16 Flair, Creativity, 14 OTB, Teamwork, 13 Composure, Decisions, 12 Anti, Concent, 11 Work Rate, 9 Determ, 8 Brave, Position, 7 Aggression, 5 Leader

So we have a technically proficient guy with a lot of goods stats for playing as an Advanced Playmaker, Attack, or Support. For a youth guy, he’s good room for growth, but is already sterling for us.

Gracias Javi!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #92
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

What about our transfer signing? Let’s look at…

DL Luis Martins, 22, Portuguese, Speaks just Portuguese, Can play DR, 3k a week, signed until the end of 2017, 4.5 star scout rating for potential, and we think he also has a lot of Potential. Plus, last year, for the 16th placed Gil Vincente in a relegation effort, he had 27 appearances and a 6.82 rating – which we think is good in that atmosphere. He came up from the Benfica ranks, and played for them for a while and then Gil Vncente loaned, and then signed him, and now we transferred him in to play for us, as a fixture for DL for a while.

Physical? 15/14 speed, 15 Stam, 13 Fitness, Agi; 10 Jump, Str; 9 Balance

Tech? 14 Tack, Mark, 13 Cross, 12 Technique, Drib, First Touch, (Throw, Penalty), 11 Pass, (Free Kick, Penalty), 10 Head, Long Shots, 8 Finish

Mental – 14 – Position, Aggress, 13 Brave, OTB, Work Rate, Teamwork, Determin, 12 Concnetration, Anti, 11 Composure, Decisions, Flair, Leader, 10 Creativity

So he comes in already very strong, and has room for growth. He is exactly what I wanted, someone who can push Sequeira to the sidelines.

Welcome young one!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #93
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

And our last major signing

DC/DMC Andrei Marc, 21 years old, Romanian, Speaks Romanian, French, Basic Hungarian, can also play DR and poorly MC or MR. 2.5k week, signed until 2016, 4.5 star scout rating, has played his entire life for club Ceahlaul, in the Romanian First League. He played in 9 matches last year, for 7.12 and an assist (too young to crack the lineup I suppose). I expect to have him push Freire for a starting spot on the roster or rock the DMC position better than Rafa. He’ll do either very well.

Physical – 12/13 Speed, 16 Stam, 14, Str, Agi, Balance, 13 Jump, Fitness

Technical – 14 Head, 13 Mark, Pass, Tack; 12 Technique, First Touch, Cross, 10 Drib, Long Shots, Throwing, Penalty, 6 Free Kick, 5 Finish, 4 Corners

Mental – 15 Position, 14 Work Rate, 13 Teamwork, Brave, 10 Flair, 8 Leader, Determin, 12 Everything Else

Again, we have this strong youth candidate to growth with and improve while he can already start. I had already signed him when my great DC Hernani came through our system, but he should work for us. How will he survive in Portuguese Football away from home in Romania? No idea, but it’s time for the big leagues – European Football and a better flight by far.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #94
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

These four should help us lead the way, and improve our squad over time as they grow along with the great youth we already have. I register them, a few youthers, and hand out numbers –

20 to Hernani Costa
9 to Luis Martins
5 to Matias Defederico
17 to Andrei Marc
10 to Javi Espinosa

With the enhanced budget for my Euro ambition and a reduced transfer budget dropping to 100k, I’ve increased my wage to 75k a week. I’m spending 72k a week. We’ll get in some staff in a bit that I hope will help and get us there and keep us under budget.

Our GK Coach and head Physio sign with us.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #95
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

World Cup Update:

Brazil vs Iran – 3-0 Brazil
Sweden vs Holland – 2-1 Sweden
Belgium vs Germany – 0-2 Germany
Japan vs France – 1-3 France
England vs USA – 1-0 England
Uruguay vs Spain – 3-0 Spain
Switzerland vs Russia – 0-3 Russia
Colombia vs Italy – 1-3 Italy

Quarterfinals:

Brazil vs France
Sweden vs Germany
England vs Italy
Spain vs Russia

In the battle of Brazil vs Europe!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #96
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I review my tactics. Is the 4-4-2 Diamond the best we can do with this lot? If so, expect our starters to be Mario Rondon, Adriano/Djaniny, Daniel Candeais, Dejan Skolnik/Javi Espinosa, Matias Defederico, Andrei Marc/Rafa, Joao Aurelio, Luis Martins, Mexer, Freire/Andrei Marc, Eduardo Gottari.

I offer Ali out for a loan. Costinha agrees to a mutual termination. Good bye buddy. I’ll always have a soft place in my heart for ya. I get my bosses to host a Trial Day.

World Cup 2014

We had an odd Quarter Finals. Every game ended 1-1 and went to penalty kicks. Every single one. Who advanced? France, Sweden, England and Russia.

World Cup Semi Finals

France vs Russia
Sweden England

Could we have a Russia vs Sweden Finals? As someone who played in Sweden for all but four years of his professional career, I’m thrilled to see fellow teammates, foes, and players do so well!

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 04-28-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #97
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Trial Day will be on the 7th. On the 6th,I look over everyone. We have a few thousand to spare for really nice folks.

I sign a couple of youthers, but this list is much more mature – I have a couple fo 30+ and 4 29 year olds. But there are a few that still are quite interesting. Danny’s not bad – 19 years old, can play a few wing spots.

I hold my team meeting. Everyone backs my Euro ambitions.

Our coaches feel that the 442 diamond, 4411 and 4222 are the best formations for us. I’m not a fan of the 4411. We found out that this team needs 2 in front. And I don’t like two DMCs in the back either.

So, we’ll keep the diamond I think, because it seems like it remains the best fit for us.

Ali is happy to go out on loan to Feirense. So he’s heading out for the season. He’s getting squeezed by my two youth DCs (Jose Pedro Cardoso, Hernani Costa) as well as Andrei Marc, Freire, Mexer, and backup Miguel Rodrigues. Better to be loaned out then sold, if that would even be possible.

We signed three youth players from the Trial Day.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #98
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Very entertaining dynasty Abe, thinking about picking up the game as a result.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #99
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Very entertaining dynasty Abe, thinking about picking up the game as a result.

Thanks, that's very humbling

Old 04-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #100
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ok, problem. Braga have made an offer for GK Gottardi. They have offered 44k plus 165k over the next two years. So here’s the question – is this a blessing in disguise? Will this give me an excuse to sign a replacement who is better?

Let’s look around…

There’s 24 year old Venezuelan international GK Rafael Romo. He’s not bad. I order a scout report. I was kind of hoping for a grizzled vet, since my starters and squad tend to be young folks, in order to balance things. Rondon’s 28 though, so that’s alright I suspect. Someone with gravitas I can hand the captain’s band to. There are a few I like, Eduardo, who was the GK for Braga for a while, and has 33 caps for Portugal, or Gomes, who was Tottenham’s GK for a while. But they don’t think I can even match their financial stuff. Who else?

Got him!

I make an offer to my GK target, and I accept the offer for Gottardi. I make my guy an offer to be the highest paid player for my squad at 7.25k a week, using the money that;’ll be freed up plus the rest of my transfer budget. But the transfer money I get from Gottardi can be used to buff my budget to make it all work.

My target is the grizzled, 37 year old vet who will come in, nonplussed, and get things to run right on the pitch. Despite his age, he has a 4 star evaluation, fully one more than Gottardi.