Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #1
Jops
n00b

The Creeping META of Pass Only Offence

Something that has bugged me for a while in MP is the tendancy to start to see pass only offences.
Now, these offences dont always win, but what they do do, is put up INSANE statistics. Take for example, the CCFL single-season leaders:

http://ccfl.fof-belco.com/seasonrecords.php

As you can see 1 QB (Rich Armstrong) has 3 7,000 yard passing seasons, and one with over 1,000 attempted passes (his arm would fall off)

Now, I think my frustration boils down to this being very exploty/gimmicky, and for a while i've wondered what would happen if a team tried to solely pass, beyond the fact im not sure the game simulates well wear and tear this would put on a player. I havent seen any articles, but I have found a few good ones looking at pass effeciency:

The surprising truth about passing and rushing in the NFL

For A Passing League, The NFL Still Doesn’t Pass Enough | FiveThirtyEight

So a pass gives an EPA of +0.04, a run -0.04, and a PA as +0.17
Id theorise the best mix would be a 70/30 split pass to run, id be interested to get other peoples thoughts on what would be realistic, and what would happen if a team tried to only pass, I assume the defences would cotton on fairly quickly and just move to a 3-2-6 D and it would take a big drop in effeciency, thoughts?

Jops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Injuries are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy higher in the NFL than in FOF. NFL teams wouldn't do it because they'd be exposing their highest-paid and most-important player to much greater injury risk. In FOF MP, the vast majority of leagues choose to play with an *extremely* unrealistic injury setting, thus drastically reducing that risk. If the NFL were to make rules that would cause injuries to QBs to be reduced, say, fivefold, you'd start seeing a ton more passing, and perhaps all-pass offenses.

Beyond that, I'm not convinced that these offenses are more efficient at winning games in FOF, even with no/low injuries. The QB you pointed out has a record of 80-77-1, only 3 playoff appearances, and has never made it past the Division Round. Even with tzach's teams, we're talking about someone who understands the inner workings of how the game is coded perhaps better than anyone outside of Canton. He did just as well in GML with a run-first team as he'd done with an all-pass team.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-09-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
Jops
n00b

Maybe my perception is just skewed by Tzachs teams who when ive played have been both predominantly pass only, and incredibly successful

That does help answer though - Wonder if any team were to be pass only, who would have the best roster for it... Cheifs?
Jops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
Jstraub
n00b

In the real world NFL, if you cant stop the run, you don't have to worry about trying to stop the pass. Just ask the 2019 Packers in the NFC championship game. 49ers won the game with 9 pass attempts.

My point, is that, despite these analytics they say otherwise, running still matters in the NFL, especially in the postseason.

And based on the evidence Ben provided, I'd say it still matters in FOF8.3.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote