Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #951
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
We don't like the Daenerys storyline. How many times can she shout, "I AM THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS!" Just give her the dragons and have her go on her way. That's been a low point of this season. At least they only had one scene in this week's episode.

Arya/Tywin , Tyrion/Cersei and Bran/Theon are the best storylines. Robb and Jon Snow are ok. I agree about the burnt children. Nobody thought they were Bran and Rickon so they shouldn't have highlighted that at the end of the previous episode. They didn't fool anybody.

I dunno - I thought it was okay to highlight it at the end of the PREVIOUS episode when maybe there was some doubt. But I think by focusing on it at the end of this episode after (right?) the reveal that they were alive...it was anticlimactic.

Or did I get the order wrong?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #952
Logan
Head Coach

Your way is what I intended with my post.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #953
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, in the books I actually thought Bran and Rickon were dead, where as in the series I would never have thought that based on what we saw.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #954
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Good build up to what I'm sure is going to be an insane last two episodes.

Jaqen (sp?) is just awesome.

A man agrees with you. All of episode 8 was pretty awesome, although I would like to see the dragon issue resolved. I hope that is going to be a big part of the next episode.. With luck, they'll save the juicier stuff for the finale.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #955
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
A man agrees with you.

I want to start doing this in real life whenever my boss gives me new projects.

A programmer would seek to do all a man asks. Three tasks will he do, and no more. But a programmer must have specs, and then perhaps in a day, or a week, or a month, it will be as a man has said. A programmer swears it will be so.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #956
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I want to start doing this in real life whenever my boss gives me new projects.

A programmer would seek to do all a man asks. Three tasks will he do, and no more. But a programmer must have specs, and then perhaps in a day, or a week, or a month, it will be as a man has said. A programmer swears it will be so.

That is AWESOME!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #957
Drake
assmaster

I haven't gotten a set of specs that were anywhere close to the final scope in at least five years...and that's when I get specs at all.

Last week, "Hey, we need a new system to do requisitions, purchasing and inventory management with a whole workflow component to keep everyone on task. We don't know who all of the users are or how we want it to work. Right now we've got a paper process that no one really understands. Oh, and there should be a deep reporting module so we can track expenses. We'd really like to have it in production by the start of the fiscal year."
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #958
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I haven't gotten a set of specs that were anywhere close to the final scope in at least five years...and that's when I get specs at all.

Last week, "Hey, we need a new system to do requisitions, purchasing and inventory management with a whole workflow component to keep everyone on task. We don't know who all of the users are or how we want it to work. Right now we've got a paper process that no one really understands. Oh, and there should be a deep reporting module so we can track expenses. We'd really like to have it in production by the start of the fiscal year."

Take your nerd talk to another thread.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #959
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
We don't like the Daenerys storyline. How many times can she shout, "I AM THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS!" Just give her the dragons and have her go on her way. That's been a low point of this season. At least they only had one scene in this week's episode.

Arya/Tywin , Tyrion/Cersei and Bran/Theon are the best storylines. Robb and Jon Snow are ok. I agree about the burnt children. Nobody thought they were Bran and Rickon so they shouldn't have highlighted that at the end of the previous episode. They didn't fool anybody.

I think part of her storyline is that she is, by far, the worst adult (and probably worst overall) actor on the show. I think her guardian guy (Jorrah?) is one of the better ones, so the contrast makes her that much worse.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #960
Drake
assmaster

Sorry for the thread ja...oh, look! Something shiny!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #961
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think part of her storyline is that she is, by far, the worst adult (and probably worst overall) actor on the show. I think her guardian guy (Jorrah?) is one of the better ones, so the contrast makes her that much worse.

I'm still creeped out by the fact that she's 14 or whatever in the books and the only reason I care about her scenes is the odd chance we'll see her naked again. HBO should work harder to not make me feel creepy about seeing boobs.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #962
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm still creeped out by the fact that she's 14 or whatever in the books and the only reason I care about her scenes is the odd chance we'll see her naked again. HBO should work harder to not make me feel creepy about seeing boobs.

Heh... no doubt it was her finest moment.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #963
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how much of it is her acting talent vs. her portrayal of the character vs. the character's rather stereotypical/bland nature even in the books?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #964
Drake
assmaster

I think the scene with the Spider and Tyrion was my favorite of this week's episode (even though nothing really happened)...it was just crisp and wonderful. I was curious to see how they were going to handle the thing with Alayaya since she was absent from the series, and when they used Roz instead, I was like...awesome. Brilliant way to handle that pivotal moment with an unintroduced secondary character.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #965
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I wonder how much of it is her acting talent vs. her portrayal of the character vs. the character's rather stereotypical/bland nature even in the books?

I don't find her bland at all in the books. I do suppose that it's her interior story that's more interesting in the books, whereas she puts on something of a naive act to others, so that might be hard to capture in the series. But she is one of my favorite characters in the books and I think a great actress could do great things with that character.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #966
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I don't find her bland at all in the books. I do suppose that it's her interior story that's more interesting in the books, whereas she puts on something of a naive act to others, so that might be hard to capture in the series. But she is one of my favorite characters in the books and I think a great actress could do great things with that character.

I go back and forth with her. I like the storyline yes, but I really go back and forth with the way Martin wrote her character I guess. There are aspects that are super cool (DRAGONS!!) and then there's a lot of stuff that just seems like...stereotypical about the characterization of her IMO.

And she doesn't necessarily have the most action-packed and empowering storyline for a while now - she's kind of done with her big moments for a bit, so I can see how it would be hard for the actress to work with the material she's given.

I'm not convinced she's a horrible actress. I don't think she's Peter Dinklage certainly, and I also agree that in comparison to say...Masie (Arya) and Sophie (Sansa) she certainly hasn't had as many great scenes...but I'm not 100% convinced it's because she's that much worse an actress than them. She's better than the guy playing Joffrey for instance. And TBH I think she's on-par or slightly better than the guy playing Jon Snow. So she's not the worst actor on the show by any means.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #967
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Really enjoyed it as well, but I'm also really surprised that the writers/director had the burnt children storyline play out like that. It seemed so obvious that those were the orphans, and to have it be the big reveal at the end that the kids were still alive seemed kinda funny to me. Definitely a misstep.

Iīm surprised no one pick up on this ! Wasnīt the big reveal not that they were alive but that they are staying in Winterfell of all places ?

Clearly a transistional episode getting us up to date on all the storyline and setting things up for the last 2 episodes, i suppose Jon Snow will meet the Wildling king soon, the siege is bound to start and Tywin is also moving against Robb (who sent people to Winterfell) and god knows what stark-like (read "kinda stupid but brave) move will come from little Bran.

Jamie and Brienne could also be a fun pairing.

I hope Jaquen isnīt out of the picture now that heīs repaid his debt.

Also, did no one think to hire those guys ? Arentīt him and Aryaīs sword instructor from the same country ? 10 of each kind could propably win the war for any side
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-22-2012 at 05:47 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #968
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jacquen still needs to do one more thing
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #969
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Lets be honest, re: Dany. Clash of Kings really had little advancement in her storyline. The show actually has added things (the taking of the dragons) to add a bit more movement. Sure, the finale of her story in CoK is interesting, but all the fun stuff with her happens in SoS.

Spoiler
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #970
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #971
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Spoiler

A man agrees completely.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #972
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #973
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Blackwater! Fire! Boom! Nuff said.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #974
Grover
Pro Starter

Just finished watching. That was intense. The scenes with drunk Ceresi were great.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #975
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Just finished watching. That was intense. The scenes with drunk Ceresi were great.

I agree. Lena Headey really cranked it up a notch all season long. She's been fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #976
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

The Wildfire was incredible, and the rest of the scenes were very well done too. I really am starting to hate Cersei, so Lena is definitely doing her job well. I liked that the entire episode revolved around the battle, I think that was a good decision.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #977
whomario
Pro Starter

I really hope that Tyrion doesnīt get pushed aside now that Tywin has entered the picture in dramatic fashion, but while heīs there i hope that Tywin gives his grandson a good spanking.

(EDIT : Iīm just going to assume he isnīt dead, donīt see them/martin killing him that "sneakily")

I didnīt totally agree with Clegane/The Hound just quitting. Sure, the terrors of war and everything, but it still didnīt really feel waranted and as if there was a scene or 2 missing to show his motivation here.

Bronn was again pretty great, such a great role and actor combination.

The wildfire scene was obviously great, i sort of knew what to expect when Tyrion said that their own ships are out of the way but the scene itself still was pretty great, especially the moment when Bronn shoots that arrow and you knew that everything would become awfully ugly the next moment.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-28-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #978
MrBug708
Head Coach

The hound hates fire with a passion
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #979
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I love reading all of the comments from everyone's who have not read the books. It makes me think back to when I was reading the story and my thoughts as it unfolded.....such good time ahead.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #980
kingfc22
Head Coach

Loved the episode.

I'm curious to see what Stannis does next.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #981
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The hound hates fire with a passion

His face is "missing scene" enough .
Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #982
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I'm also sure Littlefinger's story to Sansa in season 1 of what Gregor did to The Hound's face was very much in relation to this.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #983
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Season 3 Cast List

Obvious Spoiler Warning
Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #984
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Here's the list
Spoiler

Blackfish!!

And my favorite Wildling...Tormund!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-29-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #985
spleen1015
Coordinator

Finally caught up last night.

Holy Wildfire. That scene was pretty awesome. The latest episode was by far the best one this season, IMO. This season seemed to drag on for me and recovered with that episode.

Season 3 Cast
Spoiler
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #986
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure we need to spoilerize the names of the people who are being cast - maybe just the descriptions of them?

I mean...a non-reader will just say "The Reeds? Okay...who are they?"

It's when you start to give details of who they are that I think the issue would arise...right?

In fact - I'm not even really seeing anything worthy of spoilers in what I posted in the spoiler tags above...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-29-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #987
Groundhog
Coordinator

That episode was simply awesome. Once again I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the Hound-Bronn scene in the tavern isn't in the books? Loved it. The books do give you more of an "insight" re: the Hound's fear of fire and his reasons for leaving Kings Landing but not sure what else they could have done to represent that visually, maybe a flashback scene to his childhood or something, or Littlefinger telling the story.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #988
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Seeing that list reassures me. I guess I can understand why they've been straying from the books so much. I do think non-readers would have been nonplussed if they introduced everyone from CoK all at once.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #989
Easy Mac

Was this the first episode of the series that was exclusively in 1 place about 1 group of people?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #990
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Was this the first episode of the series that was exclusively in 1 place about 1 group of people?

Off the top of my head...yeah.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #991
Groundhog
Coordinator

Forgot to add - LOVED the outro song/music. Unexpected and completely awesome. Great version of the poem from the book.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #992
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Forgot to add - LOVED the outro song/music. Unexpected and completely awesome. Great version of the poem from the book.

Agreed. The National are one of my favorite bands so to hear them doing that was such a treat.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #993
whomario
Pro Starter

you guys are obviously right about Hound/Fire connection, totally escaped my mind.

One thing i noticed rewatching the episode yesterday : Tyrion was struck by a guy from the Kings Guard Was it the same guy that was emberassed/scolded by Tyrion in the throne room when he was torturing Sansa on Joffreys command ?

I am absolutely torn between waiting or start reading the books and get ahead in the story. On one hand i hate to wait another year after the next episode, on the other hand i have never enjoyed a story driven TV series as much as this one, ever.

Last edited by whomario : 05-31-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #994
Swaggs
Coordinator

I bet that was one of the more expensive TV "hours" ever produced (if not, it sure came off like it).

Just a great episode. I've caught it, in mid-episode, a few time in the past several days and watched it to the end each time. The battle scenes were awesome, but the scene at the end (in the throne room w/ Cersei and her youngest son) was really amazing.

As a non-reader, I like how they have blurred the lines of who is good and who is bad. Tyrion is obviously a favorite, despite him being a Lannister. But, his father (Tywin?) has also grown on me. Outside of Theon and Joffrey, there aren't too many characters that seem pure evil (and even Theon's character has some reasoning to it).
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #995
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I bet that was one of the more expensive TV "hours" ever produced (if not, it sure came off like it).

Just a great episode. I've caught it, in mid-episode, a few time in the past several days and watched it to the end each time. The battle scenes were awesome, but the scene at the end (in the throne room w/ Cersei and her youngest son) was really amazing.

As a non-reader, I like how they have blurred the lines of who is good and who is bad. Tyrion is obviously a favorite, despite him being a Lannister. But, his father (Tywin?) has also grown on me. Outside of Theon and Joffrey, there aren't too many characters that seem pure evil (and even Theon's character has some reasoning to it).

As a reader - you haven't seen (partly because they haven't chosen to show) the evil that is Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane (The Hound's brother) in the books.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-31-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #996
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What he said. If there is pure evil in the books, The Mountain the Rides is worse than King Joffrey.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #997
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
As a reader - you haven't seen (partly because they haven't chosen to show) the evil that is Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane (The Hound's brother) in the books.

Dude cut his horses head of afterall though and his role at for Tywin has hardly been ambigous (itīs not shown, but definitely implied)

Itīs just that he hasnīt made a big splash as a character, such as (i suppose) many others from the book.

Also i wouldnīt judge theese things before the whole thing is done, the creators seem very comfortable with skipping over characters or having them on the backburner before diving into their stories later on (and have said so in interviews)

But i agree that itīs fascinating that there are no 100% good guys (everybody has some serious dark spot(s)) and very few 100% bad guys either.

Last edited by whomario : 05-31-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #998
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

They have cut down on the Mountain quite a bit. I wonder how much that had to do with having to re-cast him between seasons 1 and 2?

There are a few "monsters" in Martin's books. The Mountain and Joffery are two of the biggest. Rorge and Biter are two others. There are a few others, including probably the worst of the lot really (see spoiler), who have yet to be introduced into the show.

Spoiler
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-31-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #999
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They have cut down on the Mountain quite a bit. I wonder how much that had to do with having to re-cast him between seasons 1 and 2?

There are a few "monsters" in Martin's books. The Mountain and Joffery are two of the biggest. Rorge and Biter are two others. There are a few others, including probably the worst of the lot really (see spoiler), who have yet to be introduced into the show.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #1000
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I'm confident we'll get a scene or three where we really see The Mountain as the embodiment of pure evil before all is said and done.

And as far as the person that H_B mentioned - I'm thinking maybe that it will be covered mostly through word-of-mouth like with the Mountain, although we may of course see more of the results of it then we have with the Mountain. You're right though - he is another one that is up there on the "embodiment of pure evil" scale.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-31-2012 at 09:58 AM.