Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
gstelmack
Pro Starter

OOTP: Phishing Attempt Pretending to Be OOTP?

So I received the following e-mail. My question is, is it legit? If not, someone is pretending to be OOTP for a phishing attempt, I guess that says something about the popularity. And if it's not, someone should let Markus know, if he doesn't see this himself, that the best way to handle surveys like this is to have the link go through a page on the OOTP site so that it doesn't look like a phishing attempt. I won't take surveys that don't go through the site of the company it's for precisely because I can't trust the link is legit.

<https://staticapp.icpsc.com/icp/loadimage.php/mogile/168341/20ee9c40f6bf6df68cdf6a3cee508e94/image/jpeg> >>
>>
Survey Invitation>>
>>
>>
Dear OOTP Developments Customer,>>
>>
We always want to understand how our customers use our games so that we can make smart decisions about new features. We're currently conducting a survey to better understand how people play our Out of the Park Baseball series, and we would really like your feedback!>>
>>
As an incentive, we'll be randomly giving away a free license for one of our games (OOTP 13, OOTP 12, iOOTP, ITP, or TBCB) to 10 lucky customers who complete the survey until November 8th! If you win, you will be contacted on November 9th at this e-mail address.>>
>>
Note: You have received this invitation because you are on the OOTP Developments mailing list. We value your privacy and assure that all responses are kept confidential and used for informational purposes only.>>
>>
The survey is quick and easy - just 16 questions! We appreciate your feedback and thank you very much for your time.>>
>>
Kind regards,>>
OOTP Developments>>
>>
>>
>>
Start Survey... <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=928372&msgid=300188&act=CMD7&c=168341&destination=https%3A%2F%2Fapp.icontact.com%2Ficp%2Fsub%2Fsurvey(link bits pulled)> >>
>>
>>
>>
This message was sent to EMAIL ADDRESS DELETED from:>>
>>
OOTP Developments GmbH & Co KG | Vorderstr. 44a | Hollern-Twielenfleth, Ni 21723, Germany>>
>>
Email Marketing by iContact - Try It Free! <http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186> >>
>>
Manage Your Subscription <Manage Your Subscriptions and Profile> | Forward To a Friend <iContact Login - iContact> >>
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/track.php(removed private bits)> >>

Last edited by Ryan S : 11-03-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Deleted gstelmacks email address to try to save him from getting a ton of spam
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Just checked oopt boards and it is real.

OOTP Survey 2011 - OOTP Developments Forums
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

eek - I hope it's real as I already answered it!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't see how it could be phishing because you don't give them any useful information like your name or email address.

I think it is pretty safe.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

'tis definitely real .. Markus/OOTP Dev do these surveys semi-regularly and listen closely to the feedback they get from them so they're worth completing imho.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I don't see how it could be phishing because you don't give them any useful information like your name or email address.

Given how popular viruses on web sites are, you should never click a link in an e-mail that you don't recognize. Simply going to the site can infect you. So, wrapping a link to a bad site inside an otherwise trustworthy-appearing e-mail is a common scam these days.

I see plenty of these seemingly-legit survey requests, but I never click them UNLESS they go through the site of the company requesting the survey. So I'd click the link in the e-mail if it took me to the OOTP Developments site and then that forwarded me to the third-party conducting the survey, but never if it took me directly to some third-party. You can't trust those e-mails. Unfortunately lots of marketing folks don't seem to be up on security and scams (hello, Sony), and so send e-mails like this anyway.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Just checked oopt boards and it is real.

OOTP Survey 2011 - OOTP Developments Forums

Thanks, I posted a note over there. Since I know it's legit, I'll go do the survey this evening, too.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Given how popular viruses on web sites are, you should never click a link in an e-mail that you don't recognize. Simply going to the site can infect you. So, wrapping a link to a bad site inside an otherwise trustworthy-appearing e-mail is a common scam these days.

I see plenty of these seemingly-legit survey requests, but I never click them UNLESS they go through the site of the company requesting the survey. So I'd click the link in the e-mail if it took me to the OOTP Developments site and then that forwarded me to the third-party conducting the survey, but never if it took me directly to some third-party. You can't trust those e-mails. Unfortunately lots of marketing folks don't seem to be up on security and scams (hello, Sony), and so send e-mails like this anyway.

It is very common for people to send these type of emails appearing to come from your bank for instance.

The IT security team at work constantly reminds our employees to never click on links in emails that do not come directly from our company.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Thats a fair and sensible point imho - something hopefully Markus will take on board.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I see plenty of these seemingly-legit survey requests, but I never click them UNLESS they go through the site of the company requesting the survey.
The great phishing scandals in history - facebook message notification, bank of america account update, IRS audit notification, and....OOTP SURVEY!

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote