Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #6851
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just saw Christopher Robbin. Really well done and poignant, if not a tad predictable. Enough humor for the kids but a bit slow in parts, especially the beginning. My 8 year old did fine with all the pacing, my 5 year old and 4 year old niece struggled a bit with it, but overall enjoyed it.

A warning, a couple of the previews can be intense for kids, Goosebumps 2 and The Clock in the Walls.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #6852
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wanna see this

poohspotting(NSFW)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #6853
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just saw Christopher Robbin. Really well done and poignant, if not a tad predictable. Enough humor for the kids but a bit slow in parts, especially the beginning. My 8 year old did fine with all the pacing, my 5 year old and 4 year old niece struggled a bit with it, but overall enjoyed it.

A warning, a couple of the previews can be intense for kids, Goosebumps 2 and The Clock in the Walls.

Speaking of Christopher Robbin...

Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #6854
Groundhog
Coordinator

Deadpool 2 - 9/10

Hilarious. I liked Deadpool 1, but the sequel was better IMO. Loved the fourth wall stuff - I started reading comics right around the X-Force era, and the digs at Rob Liefield not being able to draw feet, the ridiculous characters like Shatterstar, etc. It was all handled pretty perfectly, but the whole X-Force aspect in particular was gold. Lots of awesome cameos, too (both real and fictional).
Old 08-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #6855
Edward64
Head Coach

Infinity War - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it, one of the best Marvel movies IMO. The only strike is the Guardians angle, to me they don't seem to belong in the same film as the Avengers but I guess that's the lore.

At first I was concerned about the swapping back and forth but it worked. Can't wait for part 2 which I believe is coming out May 2019.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #6856
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Totally the kind of movie you put on in the background and let play. Will entertain you, and it's not so engrossing that you can't put it down.

What ... the ... heck?

Recognizing this is a personality thing, and to each their own, I still admit my first reaction was shock and horror at this statement. What kind of ADHD, whacked out nutjob do you have to be to "put a movie on in the background and let it play?"

Movies are epic escapes, played on massive screens, in the dark, with surround sound, designed to take you away to a different world and live the narrative in an engrossed adventure unlike any other.

I mean, would you say, "It's the kind of roller coaster you just ride in the background while you're texting your friends. It will entertain you, but it's not so engrossing you can't still file your taxes while you're on it."

OK, so I'm not actually trying to insult you, PilotMan. It's just a hyperbolic rant. But I gotta admit, you and I must view moviewatching as entirely different forms of entertainment.

Truth is, I'm probably the nujob - I get livid with people who chew popcorn with their mouths open in the theater, can't stand it when people interrupt me in the middle of a movie at home, and so help me, if I see someone on Facebook in the theater while the film is actually playing, I want to excommunicate them from the human race.

Yeah. On second thought, I'm the nutjob.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #6857
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You’re the nutjob for sure.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #6858
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Infinity War - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it, one of the best Marvel movies IMO. The only strike is the Guardians angle, to me they don't seem to belong in the same film as the Avengers but I guess that's the lore.

At first I was concerned about the swapping back and forth but it worked. Can't wait for part 2 which I believe is coming out May 2019.

Finally just saw this as the discount theater yesterday, I'd put it at about 8/10 too.

I've only seen a smattering of Marvel movies and found Avengers 1 to be a chore to get through and the humor pretty cringey. And I thought Black Panther was OK but kind of dry and forgettable. So that kind of put an end to my plans to get through at least a good chunk of the marvel movies before seeing infinity war. But I thought this one was a million times better than Avengers 1. And I liked that I didn't understand everything - that just made is crazier and more fun. And while I understand the GOG angle of them not belonging - I'm the weirdo who loves those two movies more than any of the other Marvel movies (for whatever reason, their humor clicks with me whereas the rest of Marvel's always feels off), so, I loved them here and the random nonsense like Thor and Rocket becoming buddies.

And in a movie with a million good guys, it made so much sense to make it Thanos' story, which it really was, and everything about him was so compelling and fun too. And like with the bad guy in Kingsman I, I kind of related to Thanos and maybe even wasn't 100% against the plan to strike back at humanity a bit and let the universe recover from our presence.

Last edited by molson : 08-18-2018 at 12:31 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #6859
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
... so, I loved them here and the random nonsense like Thor and Rocket becoming buddies.

Yup, pretty fun with Thor and "rabbit"
Old 08-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #6860
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would agree, I thought it was a better movie than 1. The only thing I don’t understand (and I’m not a Marvel guy at all) is how they are coming back from that ending without some kind of McGuffin that makes it completely unsatisfying.

Last edited by bhlloy : 08-18-2018 at 01:03 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #6861
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
What ... the ... heck?

Recognizing this is a personality thing, and to each their own, I still admit my first reaction was shock and horror at this statement. What kind of ADHD, whacked out nutjob do you have to be to "put a movie on in the background and let it play?"

Movies are epic escapes, played on massive screens, in the dark, with surround sound, designed to take you away to a different world and live the narrative in an engrossed adventure unlike any other.

I mean, would you say, "It's the kind of roller coaster you just ride in the background while you're texting your friends. It will entertain you, but it's not so engrossing you can't still file your taxes while you're on it."

OK, so I'm not actually trying to insult you, PilotMan. It's just a hyperbolic rant. But I gotta admit, you and I must view moviewatching as entirely different forms of entertainment.

Truth is, I'm probably the nujob - I get livid with people who chew popcorn with their mouths open in the theater, can't stand it when people interrupt me in the middle of a movie at home, and so help me, if I see someone on Facebook in the theater while the film is actually playing, I want to excommunicate them from the human race.

Yeah. On second thought, I'm the nutjob.

While maybe not quite to this level, I'm with revrew on this one. The thought of someone getting up in the middle of the movie to go to the bathroom and saying "don't worry about pausing it" makes my skin crawl, almost to the point of lessening my enjoyment of the movie. I want to be there for the story, to be engrossed in it, to suspend my disbelief completely.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #6862
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I would agree, I thought it was a better movie than 1. The only thing I don’t understand (and I’m not a Marvel guy at all) is how they are coming back from that ending without some kind of McGuffin that makes it completely unsatisfying.

Ya, that's always been a flaw with me for comic books movies - nothing really matters, everything can be reversed/rebooted, etc. But despite that, I found the the last few minutes of Infinity War very compelling - I didn't expect that at all and I was into it.

Last edited by molson : 08-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #6863
stevew
Hall Of Famer

“Saturday afternoon basic cable” is def a movie genre. I got Skyscraper booked for sometime in 2021. I don’t have a DVR, who cares if you miss 5-6 random minutes
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #6864
revrew
Team Chaplain

Christopher Robin: 6/10

Though older children may certainly enjoy this film, I didn't see it as a kid's flick, but as a nostalgia piece for adults - comparable, perhaps, to "Saving Mr. Banks" (but not nearly as good).

It was sweet, syrupy so, and my wife liked it far more than I did. I did genuinely laugh in several places, and it was feel good, but there is very, very little testosterone in this movie. If you're not overly tired and your wife/gf loves Winnie the Pooh or Eeyore or Tigger and you need to score some brownie points, sure, catch this movie, make her happy.

Make it a rental, even (nothing in this screams big screen). Snuggle on the couch and watch it when she's feeling blue some Saturday afternoon, and it will cheer her up.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #6865
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Hereditary: 10/10.

That was so hard to watch, and I feel incredibly uneasy right now. That should be the best picture 2018. Toni Collette blew me away.

God, I'm hearing random normal clicks and shit in the house right now and it legitimately bothers the hell out of me.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 08-24-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #6866
revrew
Team Chaplain

Rampage: 2/10

Rented this without high expectations, assuming it was another Rock action flick like San Andreas.

In one respect, I was right: It was another action flick, and Rock was in it. But lacking was any of his wit or charm. Or a decent supporting cast. Or any clever writing. Oh my goodness, for shame, the script in this was atrocious. My junior high son could have written a less cringe-worthy script.

And every cliche was overdone. And overdone. And predictable, and unbelievable, and overly melodramatic, and overdone.

The trailer was significantly more fun than watching this piece of garbage.

Even with low expectations, this disappointed me. Yuck.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #6867
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Rampage: 2/10

Rented this without high expectations, assuming it was another Rock action flick like San Andreas.

In one respect, I was right: It was another action flick, and Rock was in it. But lacking was any of his wit or charm. Or a decent supporting cast. Or any clever writing. Oh my goodness, for shame, the script in this was atrocious. My junior high son could have written a less cringe-worthy script.

And every cliche was overdone. And overdone. And predictable, and unbelievable, and overly melodramatic, and overdone.

The trailer was significantly more fun than watching this piece of garbage.

Even with low expectations, this disappointed me. Yuck.

Im a big snob, but I love cheesy action movies, especially the Rock. I give this one a 10/10 on the Rock scale. Loved it.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #6868
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Im a big snob, but I love cheesy action movies, especially the Rock. I give this one a 10/10 on the Rock scale. Loved it.

I watched it this weekend. IMO not a 2/10 or a 10/10. I'm a Rock fan also and thought the special effects were pretty good, not a lot of depth, just a good action film.

I'll give it a 7/10 (meaning I would buy it on Blu-Ray when on sale ... I like watching the specials).
Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #6869
molson
General Manager

Rampage was the perfect 10:30 PM showing at the empty discount theater on a weeknight after a few beers. 7/10, points deducted for the absence of giant mutated radioactive Rock. (maybe we'll get that in the sequel.)
Old 08-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #6870
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

TBF, the Rock wasn't an original video game character .
Old 09-15-2018, 05:28 AM   #6871
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched some movies on the plane the past couple weeks.

Ready Player One - 8/10

Really fun movie for me. So many references to my younger days and great special effects.

Blade Runner - 6/10

I struggled with this one. It was pretty boring but seeing Harrison Ford again was cool. It's not a movie that I would want to see again anytime soon hence my <7 rating.

Deadpool 2 - 8/10

Great movie, fun movie. Same as first Deadpool which I also enjoyed.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-23-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #6872
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Seems like a good place to post this. Long read but really good stuff in here. About Rounders

https://www.theringer.com/movies/201...n-david-levien

Last edited by Lathum : 09-20-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #6873
Atocep
Coordinator

Solo - 7.5/10

Fun to watch. That's the best way I could describe it. Despite the flak for landing the role, I thought Ehrenreich did a solid (at times outstanding) job playing Han. Loved Don Glover as Lando. The plot isn't deep, but I did feel it showed the evolution of Han's outlook and what made him who he is.

A Simple Favor - 8/10

This was a surprise. I honestly didn't know anything about it, but my wife was given tickets by a coworker. It felt like the perfect balance between mystery and comedy. I don't feel it would have been very good film if it took itself too seriously or became too corny. Kendrick and Lively were great.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-22-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:30 AM   #6874
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Solo - 7.5/10

Fun to watch. That's the best way I could describe it. Despite the flak for landing the role, I thought Ehrenreich did a solid (at times outstanding) job playing Han. Loved Don Glover as Lando. The plot isn't deep, but I did feel it showed the evolution of Han's outlook and what made him who he is.

I watched Solo on the plane and couldn't really get into it. I'm blaming it on the small screen and will buy the blu-ray when it goes on sale and re-watch it.

Jurassic World - 7/10

Fun and decent movie but didn't break new ground with me (and how many times do we need that darn T-Rex). Maybe next film when they, hopefully, explore the grand daughter more.

Not sure if it was my imagination but there seem to be less dinosaur scenes/variety? Didn't like that. I'll still buy it during a sale, the specials should be pretty good.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-23-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:54 AM   #6875
korme
Go Reds

Fahrenheit 11/9 was really nice.

I didn't think I could get more fired up about the political climate, but I was wrong.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #6876
Edward64
Head Coach

Terminator 6 - 8/10 (future)

Okay, its not out yet so sue me. But it'll have Arnold & Linda in it so it'll have to be good!

Arnold Schwarzenegger And Linda Hamilton Get Cozy On 'Terminator 6' Set | HuffPost
Quote:
The former California governor and long-in-the-tooth action star posted a photo of him and Linda Hamilton from the set of the upcoming sixth “Terminator” film on Wednesday. Next to the image is a photo of them back in the day.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #6877
sabotai
General Manager

The Trotsky (2009) - 5 / 10

A high schooler believes he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky, and so tries to lives his life out exactly as Trotsky's life. This includes fighting the fascists (principal of his school) and promoting unionization (tries to unionize the students). The main plot is very funny. Unfortunately, the ending was fairly weak IMO and the romantic subplot is downright awful and nearly ruins the movie.

The Death of Stalin (2017) - 7 / 10

A dark, satirical look at the events leading up to and following the death of Joseph Stalin. I really enjoyed this movie. A solid comedy from start to finish.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #6878
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Halloweentown.

It was not good. Not good at all.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #6879
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
A Simple Favor - 8/10

This was a surprise. I honestly didn't know anything about it, but my wife was given tickets by a coworker. It felt like the perfect balance between mystery and comedy. I don't feel it would have been very good film if it took itself too seriously or became too corny. Kendrick and Lively were great.

Concur. This is a film premise that could have easily gone off the rails, but great acting and really smart directing instead made it a very good film. They pulled it off. If you like noir mysteries or dark comedy, you should see this movie.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #6880
chinaski
College Prospect

The Hate U Give - 10/10

aaand in the same vein but entirely different way of going about it...

Blackspotting - 10/10.

Highly suggest seeing them both.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #6881
revrew
Team Chaplain

Hunter Killer - 6/10

Rehashed, recycled, and formulaic plot from the 1980s, which also made it predictable. But such formulas worked in the 80s to make testosterone-driven films that were fun to watch. Hunter Killer, frankly, falls into that category, too.

And with lots of underwater/ocean shots, a plot that was both in the sub and out, returning to the world of Cold War intrigue actually makes for some fun. Hunter Killer was also significantly cleaner than its '80s predecessors, without excessive cussing to wreck the script or superfluous sexuality thrown in to titillate the junior high boy mentality.

I enjoyed it on the big screen, made a good date movie for me and a wife who also enjoys the popcorn-muncher movies of the 1980s. I'll forget I ever watched it in a week, but it was fun for an evening.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #6882
BYU 14
Coordinator

Bohemian Rhapsody 9/10

Being a huge Queen fan may skew this up, but it also increased my expectations. First off Rami Malek is fantastic and even though much of his vocals are mixed with Marc Martel, he still does amazingly well on the songs.

The movie paints a very dark picture of Mercury at times and made me think of that line from the Styx song "I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends, that is as long as i'm buying."

It also highlights his courage and shines a very nice light on his relationship with Mary Austin. Some humorous moments as well, some very subtle like when the record exec hears Bohemian Rhapsody and says he can't see kids driving around banging their heads to this. An obvious reference to 'Wayne's World'

The supporting cast are all very good and I definitely think it did the Freddie and band justice, definitely recommended.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #6883
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Bohemian Rhapsody 9/10

Being a huge Queen fan may skew this up, but it also increased my expectations. First off Rami Malek is fantastic and even though much of his vocals are mixed with Marc Martel, he still does amazingly well on the songs.

The movie paints a very dark picture of Mercury at times and made me think of that line from the Styx song "I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends, that is as long as i'm buying."

It also highlights his courage and shines a very nice light on his relationship with Mary Austin. Some humorous moments as well, some very subtle like when the record exec hears Bohemian Rhapsody and says he can't see kids driving around banging their heads to this. An obvious reference to 'Wayne's World'

The supporting cast are all very good and I definitely think it did the Freddie and band justice, definitely recommended.

I saw that last night and liked it too.

The production of the movie has a fascinating history, and there's a lot of speculation about why Sacha Baron Cohen left and what the movie would have been with him. Apparently he wanted it to be more raw and edgy. What was really going on at those parties was toned down, they only very lightly touched on controversies like Mercury deciding to conceal his diagnosis rather than be a public face of resistance and support - and I'm not totally sure I buy the narrative of Freddy Mercury being the selfish party guy and the rest of the band being stoic family men.

So I think you can see that influence of the surviving band members in the movie, but damn, they really did pull off the look and sound of the band. I felt like I was at that Live Aid concert. And I don't think the movie would have benefited from a more grim portrayal of say, Mercury's excesses and final years. It's OK to make a mostly-happy movie celebrating an iconic figure rather than just brutally expose him. That's the movie they chose to make and it was a very entertaining one.

Last edited by molson : 11-14-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #6884
korme
Go Reds

Bohemian Rhapsody was great if you wanted to hear a bunch of Queen songs (which, yes), but as a movie it wasn't very good. Cookie cutter biopic, some revisionist history, forced scenes to display how they learned songs which couldn't have been real. It was all very bland, but the music was good. The Live Aid re-enactment was very well done.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #6885
Johnny93g
College Starter

I watched Jurassic World 2 last night and i guess I'm just a different type of animal, as I don't get how these new movies are so successful.

It was boring and predictable. Yes, Chris Pratt is a legit movie star. He is charming and entertaining, but he's given so little to work with here. The dialogue is mostly corny. The story is ridiculous. They characters are so stupid, they all should be dead in 5 minutes.

There's a point where the bad guys show they are very willing to kill people including the main characters. Then they just decide not to, because, well, those are the main characters.

I get Mission Impossible movies. Those are exciting and fun. They don't bore. It's just the complete opposite of this crap....
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #6886
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Yeah I agree the Jurassic World 2 was very meh at best. I sat there thinking that this setting really needs to be changed up or they just need to stop making them. Pretty boring to me as well.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #6887
Drake
assmaster

You've Got Mail - 5/10

After waiting for a bit to see this Nora Ephron send-up, I can't help but ask myself how Tom Hanks ends up making dreck like this and Saving Private Ryan in the same year. Also, I'm pretty sure this might be the film that constitutes the end of Meg Ryan's relevance curve in American cinema. Less sure about whether this movie is part of the reason or if it was just generalized cute/quirky fatigue.

That said, without Ephron's index of urban romantic quirkiness, we don't ever get Gilmore Girls and oversized cups of $7 coffee, and without Gilmore Girls, we don't get Joss Whedon and the growling girl-power of Buffy & Dollhouse. Overall, I'll accept it as a cultural win, but this is probably the weakest of Ephron's Meg Ryan trilogy.

ETA: This movie also resulted in my wife asking me if she brings an unbridled sense of joy to my life (which the movie posits as the linchpin of true romance). My lack a ready answer may mean that I need to research family attorneys. Anybody know a good one?

Also, the timing doesn't really work because Buffy was on the air for 4 years before Gilmore Girls debuted. I would have sworn they were more contemporaneous...but I dropped a lot of acid in the '90s, so my memory is suspect.

Last edited by Drake : 11-18-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #6888
revrew
Team Chaplain

Armageddon - 7/10

Yes, that Armageddon. The old Bruce Willis flick. Watched it again with my teenage son last night.

Oh my gosh, had I forgotten how much talent was in or behind that movie. Michael Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer, and J.J. Abrams, before most of us knew any of them but Bruckheimer.

Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, Will Patton, Steve Buscemi, Owen Wilson, Michael Clark Duncan, and at least 5 other actors you'd recognize from bit or even significant parts in other favorite films.

I think when the movie came out in '98, it felt a little too throwback, a little too '80s to be appreciated. But now, years later, it feels like it was rather the movie that finally got the '80s right. A fun, albeit formulaic romp that actually aged far better than I expected. Good times.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #6889
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

School of Rock 8/10

HAd never seen it, wanted to show my kids, 8 and 5. Watched it with them, my wife, and her parents. We all really liked it. Just the correct amount of JAck Black. The kids were great, and the music was a lot of fun. My kids loved it, especially the 8 year old.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #6891
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The Hate U Give (10/10)

So the description of this caught my eye since it, you know, described my entire upbringing!
Quote:
“Starr Carter is constantly switching between two worlds -- the poor, mostly black neighborhood where she lives and the wealthy, mostly white prep school that she attends. “

That said, I thought they did a fantastic job of bringing difficult and complex issues to the surface without the oversimplification that is so often present in much of our public discourse. No two-dimensional characters or two-dimensional issues in this one! At some point, every protagonist and antagonist let you down to some degree, which to me made the characters more real.

I was actually interviewed for this on the "Reel World Theology" podcast. More on that here:

Old 11-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #6892
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Armageddon - 7/10

Yes, that Armageddon. The old Bruce Willis flick. Watched it again with my teenage son last night.

Oh my gosh, had I forgotten how much talent was in or behind that movie. Michael Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer, and J.J. Abrams, before most of us knew any of them but Bruckheimer.

Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, Will Patton, Steve Buscemi, Owen Wilson, Michael Clark Duncan, and at least 5 other actors you'd recognize from bit or even significant parts in other favorite films.

I think when the movie came out in '98, it felt a little too throwback, a little too '80s to be appreciated. But now, years later, it feels like it was rather the movie that finally got the '80s right. A fun, albeit formulaic romp that actually aged far better than I expected. Good times.

We watched it a couple weeks ago. I'd never seen it before. Terrible movie. Ludicrous stupidity on top of ludicrous stupidity. 2/10.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-20-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #6893
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
You've Got Mail - 5/10

After waiting for a bit to see this Nora Ephron send-up, I can't help but ask myself how Tom Hanks ends up making dreck like this and Saving Private Ryan in the same year. Also, I'm pretty sure this might be the film that constitutes the end of Meg Ryan's relevance curve in American cinema. Less sure about whether this movie is part of the reason or if it was just generalized cute/quirky fatigue.

That said, without Ephron's index of urban romantic quirkiness, we don't ever get Gilmore Girls and oversized cups of $7 coffee, and without Gilmore Girls, we don't get Joss Whedon and the growling girl-power of Buffy & Dollhouse. Overall, I'll accept it as a cultural win, but this is probably the weakest of Ephron's Meg Ryan trilogy.

ETA: This movie also resulted in my wife asking me if she brings an unbridled sense of joy to my life (which the movie posits as the linchpin of true romance). My lack a ready answer may mean that I need to research family attorneys. Anybody know a good one?

Also, the timing doesn't really work because Buffy was on the air for 4 years before Gilmore Girls debuted. I would have sworn they were more contemporaneous...but I dropped a lot of acid in the '90s, so my memory is suspect.

When Harry Met Sally is the movie by which all other romantic comedies should be judged.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #6894
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The Hate U Give (10/10)

So the description of this caught my eye since it, you know, described my entire upbringing!

That said, I thought they did a fantastic job of bringing difficult and complex issues to the surface without the oversimplification that is so often present in much of our public discourse. No two-dimensional characters or two-dimensional issues in this one! At some point, every protagonist and antagonist let you down to some degree, which to me made the characters more real.

I was actually interviewed for this on the "Reel World Theology" podcast. More on that here:

Reading thought the reviews on IMDB.

Ooof. It's either 1's or 10's.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #6895
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We watched it a couple weeks ago. I'd never seen it before. Terrible movie. Ludicrous stupidity on top of ludicrous stupidity. 2/10.

A Top 20 for me. I love the movie but you got to take it for what it is. It came out about the same time as another favorite, Deep Impact.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #6896
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Reading thought the reviews on IMDB.

Ooof. It's either 1's or 10's.
Well, there are quite a few special snowflakes out there on both the left and the right who can't handle any idea, movie, commentary, etc. that might challenge their thinking.

Seriously, I've seen some criticism from hardcore black nationalists and hardcore white nationalists. In other words, it probably threaded the needle pretty well.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #6897
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Curious what you expected?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #6898
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Hate U Give was just fantastic. And utterly powerful. Not a dry eye in my theater. Just one of those films that really gets to the core of an issue so well.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #6899
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I read the book for The Hate U Give and it was fantastic. The movie was a really good adaptation.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #6900
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Curious what you expected?

I'd give it the same rating and I didn't expect more than a fun action movie. That's not what I get from Bay's films. I can't stand his directing style.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote