Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #701
bhlloy
Grizzled Veteran

As a USC fan I love Chad Wheeler, but he might be the only player in the league worse than Peterman. Almost certainly the worst starter. How on earth he’s a starting tackle in the NFL is beyond me. The Athletic had some pass blocking stat in which he was the worst in the league by some huge margin - and the Giants LT was the second worst.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #702
bhlloy
Grizzled Veteran

Need moar flags

Actually, yeah that was pretty obvious on replay. Carry on...
Old 11-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #703
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Need moar flags

Actually, yeah that was pretty obvious on replay. Carry on...

That one was, but I was just texting with a buddy that the flags are making the game borderline unwatchable.

Every incomplete pass you have to wait 3 seconds to see if a flag is thrown, not to mention every kick return seems like a flag is thrown.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #704
bhlloy
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty sure they are just legislating kick returns out of the game at this point. I’d love to see the numbers on whether it’s worth ever bothering to return a punt because it doesn’t feel like it.

And another flag to end the game just for the fun of it. Why. Not.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #705
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
On Peterman, how many 7th rounders stick with a team let alone start a few games over a season and a half?

He was a 5th round pick.

And, though it's from 2014, Football Outsiders pointed out what a historically bad spot that was to take a QB

NFL Draft: Round-by-Round QB Study | Football Outsiders

edit to add: And in that 2017 draft class, there were only 2 QB's taken after Peterman: Brad Kaaya and Chad Kelly.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-12-2018 at 11:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #706
Thomkal
Coordinator

Monday night game in Mexico City with KC va LA Rams might be postponed because the field is in horrible shape. Might be played in LA instead.
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #707
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

NFL cancels Mexico City trip, moves Chiefs-Rams game to L.A. for Monday Night Football
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #708
Thomkal
Coordinator

Le'Veon Bell won't report to Pittsburgh Steelers

No way I would sign him next year

Last edited by Thomkal : Yesterday at 05:48 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #709
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don’t understand how Bell thinks his actions could help him. He is getting terrible advice and I suspect he would go all Tonya Harding on James Conner if he could.
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM   #710
PilotMan
Coordinator

Bell should go to the Browns. He would be a fantastic weapon for them, and he'd get to see his teammates a couple times a year and he'd be in Cleveland.

Well, he figures that a one year contract, at the franchise tag, wasn't worth the physical toll and risk to his body. He believes that this lost year in his prime won't have a big impact on his overall career production and will help another team see that he can get the contract he wants with that one year less of beatings. He does grasp that running backs have very short careers compared to where they were, which is part of why he wants WR money. I actually think, he's playing a very smart game. It's a bigger gamble than other guys take, but he is hoping that his payoff is going to be the bigger contract he wants.

Here's where it gets really, really murky though. He's banking on his own talent, but football is a game of 53 guys, and they can have an impact on your own career too. He may not have the talent around him to be the player he was with Pittsburgh. Many, many guys have left only to a fraction as effective as they were with the Steelers. Plus, other teams do have to take his commitment to the team into consideration. I don't think that he'll get anywhere near the money that he thinks he will, but I do admire his decision to stick with his plan, for better or worse.

It's best for the Steelers that he not come back. More trouble than it's worth at this point, and a sigh of relief for Connor and the team in general. Plus they keep with the tradition that no player is worth tanking the team over. Especially a player who has had suspensions, injuries, come back out of shape and plays a position that has been shown to be replaceable with the youth coming out of college. Good on them too.

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

Last edited by PilotMan : Yesterday at 11:25 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #711
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Bell should go to the Browns.

A team that just made it clear who they believe their RB of the future is.

Doesn't seem certain at all that the Browns would want him.
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #712
RainMaker
Head Coach

I'm curious to see what Bell gets paid next year. Passing up $14 million guaranteed doesn't seem smart.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of teams willing to spend big on a veteran back. And I feel like Conner stepping in and holding his own can't bode well for Bell's perceived value. Plus who knows what you're getting from a guy who hasn't played in 18 months. I guess a dumb organization like the Colts could just throw a bunch of money at him hoping he'll solve some problems. Houston would be interesting as they're a good RB away from having a really good offense.

Either way, I just don't see him getting Gurley money.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #713
RainMaker
Head Coach

Maybe I'm in the minority but I hate the rules for onside kicks now. Kind of kills any late game drama that you used to have in 2 score games. I think I saw the success rate is like 7% this year and that includes surprise onside kicks which have a much higher rate.

The rules also seem kind of silly. I don't remember many onside kicks causing injuries in the past. They were always pretty fun free-for-alls when you could line up your whole team and see a scrum. Plus even if there is a higher risk of injury, they're done so rarely that I don't see how it makes a difference.

With other rule changes I can see why they did it. But the onside stuff they constantly neuter just seems like changing rules to change rules.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote