Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #1801
Edward64
Head Coach

Season 6 wasn't that great. I hated the step-sister-possible-incestuous-thoughts angle. I did like how she found him in the act and have started watching some of Season 7 already ... so far how she goes about reconciling and accepting (so far at least) is pretty interesting.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #1802
Edward64
Head Coach

Dexter season 7 was pretty okay, better than 6.

The last episode and the choice that Deb had to make was great.

What's the deal with Dexter and blondes? They should give him a little more variety.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #1803
RainMaker
General Manager

The incest stuff lost me on that show. Just felt weird watching scenes with those two after that. Glad you're enjoying it still.

The thing you mentioned about him shifting from a serial killer to a cop is spot-on. What I found most fascinating about the first couple seasons was that Dexter was a sociopath/psychopath. He didn't know how to act around Rita or other people because he had no empathy. I can't remember any other show that had a protagonist playing that role.

But then they sort of just dropped that angle. Dexter suddenly found empathy and instead of being a fascinating psychopathic serial killer, he turned into a vigilante supercop. Not boring, just not unique.

Maybe that was the point. That Dexter never really was a psychopath. But I think the show would have been much better if they continued down the path of showing us how a person who lacks empathy navigates the world.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #1804
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
House of Cards season 6 has dropped.

Looks pretty good from the trailer. Hopefully it ends really well.

I'm halfway through. Just not feeling it. Maybe the rest of the season will provide some decent payoff but it feels like a TV show they had to scramble to re-write after Spacey was removed.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-07-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #1805
Edward64
Head Coach

Finally finished Season 8 of Dexter. I enjoyed it, the psychoanalyst/psychiatrist was great and it really brought more depth to Dexter's backstory.

The ending with Deb seemed rushed and although I would have preferred a different ending for Dexter, I thought it was fitting (albeit sad).

Season 5 was the worst, Season 6 was weak. All the others were pretty good to great IMO.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-09-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #1806
tarcone
Coordinator

If you like lawyer shows with politics and corruption, watch Rake.

I love his character. And the others in the show.

I almost get a californication vibe from the show.

I love this show.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #1807
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Finally finished Season 8 of Dexter. I enjoyed it, the psychoanalyst/psychiatrist was great and it really brought more depth to Dexter's backstory.

The ending with Deb seemed rushed and although I would have preferred a different ending for Dexter, I thought it was fitting (albeit sad).

Season 5 was the worst, Season 6 was weak. All the others were pretty good to great IMO.

If you like Showtime style shows, you might like Ray Donovan.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #1808
RainMaker
General Manager

Finished House of Cards last night. Didn't realize it was 8 episodes. Which is bad because after the 8th episode it just ends leaving a ton of storylines open. I had to look up and see if they would be releasing the 2nd half of this season at a later date. No, apparently that was the series finale.

It's one of the worst seasons of a show I've ever seen. Really enjoyed the first few seasons and while the later ones weren't as good, they were still fun popcorn TV. This was just a disaster.

There was nothing satisfying about this season. Building up characters only to have their plots just left open or end in the most mundane ways. Wasting a really talented cast harping over Frank the whole season instead of just letting Claire do her own thing.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #1809
Edward64
Head Coach

Caught a break from binge watching and watched "Outlaw Kings" by the younger Kirk.

Here's a review 'Outlaw King' Review: Chris Pine Digs Deep on Netflix - The Atlantic

It was entertaining and okay but I wouldn't have liked paying $8-$10 for it in the big screen. Apparently 20 min was cut from the Netflix version which may have helped.

It did get me reading up on Robert (vs Wallace) but my eyes did kinda glaze over with the wiki entry Robert the Bruce - Wikipedia
Old 11-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #1810
Groundhog
Coordinator

Finished the Haunting of Hill House last night. Really glad the story wrapped up, and not just a "stay tuned, for season 2!" finale. Best horror show I've seen in years I'd say.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #1811
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Finished the Haunting of Hill House last night. Really glad the story wrapped up, and not just a "stay tuned, for season 2!" finale. Best horror show I've seen in years I'd say.

These 6-10 hour series are one of the best trends in 'TV' for me, undoubtedly helped by the digital services getting so popular. There's always been series like that and obviously plenty on normal TV, but still think the amount has risen sharply since about 5,6 years ago.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #1812
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like it's time for me to subscribe to Netflix again

Old 11-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #1813
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Caught a break from binge watching and watched "Outlaw Kings" by the younger Kirk.

Here's a review 'Outlaw King' Review: Chris Pine Digs Deep on Netflix - The Atlantic

It was entertaining and okay but I wouldn't have liked paying $8-$10 for it in the big screen. Apparently 20 min was cut from the Netflix version which may have helped.

It did get me reading up on Robert (vs Wallace) but my eyes did kinda glaze over with the wiki entry Robert the Bruce - Wikipedia

They spent a fortune making it. Looking forward to seeing it although sad to see it getting negative reviews. Was hoping this would be a nice follow-up to Braveheart (yes I know Braveheart is light on historical accuracy).
Old 11-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #1814
RainMaker
General Manager

I've thought Daredevil was a solid show for the first 2 seasons but season 3 has been terrific. The show really found it's footing and is just a great watch. And this coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of comic stuff.

If this show is even somewhat up your alley, I highly recommend it. Especially for people who like darker stuff like The Dark Knight. Vincent D'Onofrio is so good in it.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #1815
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
These 6-10 hour series are one of the best trends in 'TV' for me, undoubtedly helped by the digital services getting so popular. There's always been series like that and obviously plenty on normal TV, but still think the amount has risen sharply since about 5,6 years ago.

Agreed. Some of my favourite shows over the last 5 or so years have been a lot of the 6-10 episode "one shot" BBC series, to be honest - especially the drama/crime stories.

The never ending soap operas that stretch on until cancellation with no focused ending in sight are a drain.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #1816
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I've thought Daredevil was a solid show for the first 2 seasons but season 3 has been terrific. The show really found it's footing and is just a great watch. And this coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of comic stuff.

If this show is even somewhat up your alley, I highly recommend it. Especially for people who like darker stuff like The Dark Knight. Vincent D'Onofrio is so good in it.

I loved season 1, but never made it past halfway point in season 2 before getting distracted by something else and not picking it back up. I thought season 2 got a bit silly despite them nailing the Punisher casting, glad to hear it picks up again in season 3. Agree on D'Onofrio - I loved his right hand man in season 1 as well.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #1817
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I loved season 1, but never made it past halfway point in season 2 before getting distracted by something else and not picking it back up. I thought season 2 got a bit silly despite them nailing the Punisher casting, glad to hear it picks up again in season 3. Agree on D'Onofrio - I loved his right hand man in season 1 as well.

Yeah, season 2 lagged a bit and I wasn't terribly excited for Season 3. But this season has gotten me back on board. They fixed a lot of the issues the show had.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #1818
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just started watching the 90s, really enjoyed the first episode, looking forward to more.

If anyone is a fan of The Purge keep an eye out fr it to hit Netflix, really well done and stays true to the source materiel.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #1819
BishopMVP
Coordinator

On Hulu, not Netflix, but I've been binging a Canadian comedy called Letterkenny. I'd say it's a cross between Trailer Park Boys and Goon, if Aaron Sorkin was helping write some dialogue.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-15-2018 at 10:19 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #1820
RainMaker
General Manager

Are any of the Amazon shows good? I've seen Man in the High Castle and Jack Ryan. But they seem to have so many more.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #1821
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Are any of the Amazon shows good? I've seen Man in the High Castle and Jack Ryan. But they seem to have so many more.

I enjoyed The Tick
Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #1822
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

I havent got very far into it, but Hand of God started strong.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #1823
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I was very surprised and impressed by Amazon's dark comedy Patriot (which just started its second season). It's gotten practically no hype/marketing, which I don't understand, it's better than any of the other Amazon products I've watched.

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #1824
RainMaker
General Manager

Tick didn't seem to be up my alley. Hand of God looked interesting and the cast looks great. Patriot I've heard was phenomenal but forgot that was an Amazon show.

I'll probably give Patriot a go this weekend.

Has anyone watched the new Homecoming show they've been advertising a ton?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #1825
tarcone
Coordinator

Rake was amazing.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #1826
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I had to look up Hand of God in order to remember that I'd watched both seasons of it, for whatever that's worth.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #1827
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Rake was amazing.

I did try watching it but didn't get into it.

Watching House of Cards now.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #1828
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Rake was amazing.

It's on my list of things to watch.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:54 PM   #1829
Johnny93g
College Starter

Finished the Haunting of Hill House.

Two thumbs way up for me. Brilliant show, that will stick with me for some time. It's creepy, smart, sad, and yes, scary at times. It doesn't rely on gross out crap. It legit had me looking behind me at times well watching.

The Nel episode, ep 5, is just amazing!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:20 AM   #1830
Izulde
Head Coach

Bosch and Poldark are great from the seasons I saw when I had Amazon Prime. The show I felt weirded out by but couldn't stop watching because it was so fascinating was Transparent.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:26 AM   #1831
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The kid is home so I get random Netflix viewing.

Picking up Bloodline at the start of S3 -- even with the kid explaining S1 & S2 -- is NOT the way to pick it up.

Surreal shit.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #1832
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
On Hulu, not Netflix, but I've been binging a Canadian comedy called Letterkenny. I'd say it's a cross between Trailer Park Boys and Goon, if Aaron Sorkin was helping write some dialogue.

Letterkenny is incredible.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #1833
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is fantastic! One of the best comedies I've seen in ages (and looks fantastic in 4k UHD). Catastrophe (which is a British show that Amazon brought over) is hilarious. I really enjoyed Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, which is Black Mirror-esque, but more dedicated to the "twist". The Tick was great.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #1834
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is fantastic! One of the best comedies I've seen in ages.

Agree. And it is different than most of the prestige TV out there right now. There's a bit of sameness to the high-end shows. This breaks that mold.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #1835
molson
General Manager

I'm really enjoying running through the original Unsolved Mysteries episodes on Prime. It's my current "on in the background of my PC as I do stuff" show. There's an online wikia recapping all of the episodes including updates that have occurred long after the show ended. And some of these updates have been included at the end of the segments in the show itself. I'm 8 episodes in and already two suspects eventually got apprehended in my town. Other mysteries remain unsolved, but have been subject to years and years of internet speculation. I've gone down more than a few rabbit holes reading about this stuff. And Robert Stack, the music, the production is just as good at setting the mood as I remembered.

Last edited by molson : 11-21-2018 at 10:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #1836
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I finally signed back up for Netflix (at least for the free month). The new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 comes out today and I also wanted to watch Disenchantment.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #1837
SackAttack
Head Coach

Cancellation of Daredevil yesterday = cancellation of Netflix subscription.

I'll stick with my 99 cent Hulu for a while, thanks.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #1838
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'll stick with my 99 cent Hulu for a while, thanks.

I actually saw that .99 deal & signed up.

I'll be curious to see whether my household combined manages to get at least that much value out of it tbh.

(So far in the first week I think each of us has logged in once, I don't believe anyone has watched anything to this point tho)
Old 11-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #1839
RainMaker
General Manager

If you have Amazon Prime, Braven is a fun movie. Stars Jason Momoa and is just a fun popcorn action movie.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:27 AM   #1840
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I actually saw that .99 deal & signed up.

I'll be curious to see whether my household combined manages to get at least that much value out of it tbh.

(So far in the first week I think each of us has logged in once, I don't believe anyone has watched anything to this point tho)

There's some good stuff on there, but it probably WILL come down to what you're after.

My girlfriend has some crime procedurals on there that she loves. There are a couple of Marvel/Marvel-adjacent shows on there for me, and there's some stuff I wouldn't have sought out, like Brooklyn Nine-Nine, that I'll watch because it's there.

Like I say, it'll cost me for a whole year what Netflix was costing for a month. I'll watch at least as much Hulu in a year as I would Netflix in a month, easy.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #1841
Edward64
Head Coach

In the fifth season for House of Cards. The earlier seasons were better. Don't quite like the rise of Claire Underwood, somewhat unbelievable.

Have to watch Season 6 just to bring closure though.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #1842
tarcone
Coordinator

Sick Note.

Great British show. Slacker goes to doctor for fake injury. Doctor about to be fired for screwing up. Doctor misdiagnosis slacker with cancer. Mayhem ensues through twists and turns.

2 seasons. A lot of fun.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #1843
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Have to watch Season 6 just to bring closure though.

Oh no
Old 12-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #1844
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Absolutely loved the Haunting of Hill House but l like many was not overly impressed by the ending. Some incredibly filmed scenes, loved episode 6 and really liked all of the actors.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #1845
Critch
lolzcat

Wolf Hall on Amazon Prime is worth watching. Six episode BBC period drama, follows the rise of Thomas Cromwell in the 1520s and 1530s.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #1846
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh no

Season 5 was below par. Finished watching Season 6 Ep 2 and lacking motivation to finished the season.

I don't mind Claire being President but the writing is off. Her speech for the new recruits was excruciatingly painful. It may have been better to do a 2 hour series finale vs Season 6.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #1847
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

The Kominsky Method with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin is a pretty funny 8 30-minute episode series. It's old people humor/sentimentality and a disclaimer that movies like Grumpy Old Men are right up my alley. About a life long friendship between the two and how they cope after Arkin's wife dies. Nothing I would expect to see on the Emmy's next year or anything but enjoyable and really easy to watch 2-3 at a time.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #1848
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Season 5 was below par. Finished watching Season 6 Ep 2 and lacking motivation to finished the season.

I don't mind Claire being President but the writing is off. Her speech for the new recruits was excruciatingly painful. It may have been better to do a 2 hour series finale vs Season 6.

The last season feels like it was written with Spacey in mind and then they had to just re-work it real fast without him. Doesn't make much sense at all and is just painful to get through.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #1849
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
The Kominsky Method with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin is a pretty funny 8 30-minute episode series. It's old people humor/sentimentality and a disclaimer that movies like Grumpy Old Men are right up my alley. About a life long friendship between the two and how they cope after Arkin's wife dies. Nothing I would expect to see on the Emmy's next year or anything but enjoyable and really easy to watch 2-3 at a time.

I'll give this a whirl. Looked decent and am always looking for shorter comedies I can relax to at night.

Did notice it's been nominated for some awards already (best comedy, best ensemble in a comedy, etc), so I don't think an Emmy nomination is far off.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #1850
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just finished a second watching if the Christmas chronicles with my daughter. Fun movie. Russell is great as Santa and a really fun reveal at the end.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote