Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Moviepass

Anyone else using this?

MoviePass

This is a monthly membership program for seeing movies in theaters. You get to see unlimited movies and the price is $34.95.

The way it works is they send you a credit card. You sign in to an app on your phone to check in at the theater, they release funds on your card and you buy a ticket with the credit card. It works at any theater that accepts Discover.

There are some stipulations. You can only see each movie once. You can only see one movie per day. It does not work for 3D movies.

I've been using it and it's worked really well so far. The 3D limitation doesn't bother me since I hate seeing movies in 3D. Plus, I still rack up points on rewards cards for free tickets if I ever do want to see something twice.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

I've seen people talk about this on another forum I read. Seems like it's pretty simple...if you're the type that sees a bunch of movies per month already, it's a great idea. But if you're not, or are signing up thinking you'll start going a lot more, it most likely isn't for you.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I've seen people talk about this on another forum I read. Seems like it's pretty simple...if you're the type that sees a bunch of movies per month already, it's a great idea. But if you're not, or are signing up thinking you'll start going a lot more, it most likely isn't for you.

Yeah, I'd say I average at least 3 movies per month over a year (37 total last year and that was less than usual), which is break even point for cost. There are more I would've seen if I had the money and I think I'd average 4-5 per month. It especially comes in handy during Oscar season and summer when there's a bunch of movies out at once I want to see.

I should note, since I omitted in the first post, that it is an annual membership. You are billed monthly, but there are cancellation fees if you cancel after the first 30 days but before the 12th month. The fees don't appear to be that restrictive, though.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

That sounds interesting, but I initially thought it was for streaming movies. In that case, it's definitely cost-effective. By buying one movie ticket, I'm somewhat meh. If I were single, I'd definitely go for it though.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. Bummer you can only see any one movie one time though.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

Is moviepass returning to relevance?

It got stupid-expensive and restrictive the last few years, but apparently they've released a new $10/month 2D movie plan, with the only limitations being that you can only see 1 movie a day and only in 2D. Seems too good to be true, but the website is too slammed right now to see for myself. But, there's news articles about it:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/15/1...n-fee-theaters

Last edited by molson : 08-15-2017 at 01:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wow! Thanks for the bump! I literally looked at potentially rejoining this only a week ago and the price was $39.99. A 75% decrease definitely seems almost too good to be true. I can't get on the website either.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Ya, this seems like it could be a real game-changer for the theaters. Reddit is freaking out and I'm not seeing any indication of other restrictions. This is the official release from moviepass:

"Dear MoviePass Community,

For the last several years, we have been testing a number of service offers and price points. We have learned a lot during this process and believe that we now have an offer that can’t be beat.

Effective today, we are introducing a universal subscription plan for $9.95 per month. MoviePass will have one price point nationwide and it will be for standard 2D films only. As a subscriber, you can see any movie, at any theater, at any time. For your convenience, we currently support more than 91 percent of movie theaters nationwide. Unfortunately, premium formats such as 3D and IMAX will not be included in this plan.

We believe that you want to see more movies in theaters. Our $9.95 per month subscription makes it possible for you to see a movie every day, if you would like.

For current members, your price will automatically be reduced to $9.95, beginning on your next billing cycle following August 15th.

As before, there is no contract, so you are free to cancel at any time. This price point will be guaranteed for at least 12 months for those who sign up during this period. Space is limited.

To all of those members who have supported us over the years, thank you! We look forward to continuing to provide award-winning service and giving you the largest selections of movies and theaters in the industry.

See you at the movies! The MoviePass Team"

The "space is limited" is the only thing that caught my eye - not sure if there's only X number of people who will be able to sign up, or if that just refers to theater space limitations. And I'm guessing the price will go up at some point, as they specifically mention the 12-month price guarantee. I'm guessing it will be $10/month for new users and then they'll eventually bump you up like many other service providers do after the first year. Though in that scenario, unlike cable or internet, you could just use different email addresses/credit cards.

Last edited by molson : 08-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Easy Mac

Why do all the best innovations only start after I stop caring for things. I've seen the Star Wars movies and Dunkirk in theaters in the last 2 or 3 years. Younger me would have been all over it. Also still have maybe 20 free tickets in the kitchen drawer that we never use.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Unless they've changed it, I think the 1 per day rule is a bit misleading. It used to be that way at the beginning, but they then changed it to once per 24 hour period. So if you see a 9:30 movie tonight, you can't see a 9:20 movie tomorrow. That's not a huge problem at only $9.95/month, though.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:24 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there a list of theatres somewhere? Even at $30/month for me, my wife and the daughter not in college, it would be hella worth it.

Only downside is my town has some strange ownership group in charge of its theatres.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:37 AM   #12
molson
General Manager

Finding a list of theaters is a huge pain in the ass right now. The app isn't working.

But if you take this link and add your zip code to the very end, you get the raw website data.

MoviePass - Watch New Movies in Theaters

For example, in my area:

https://www.moviepass.com/theaters/zip/83705

I found this method posted here - you might also find a reference there to your town if someone else managed to look it up before everything blew up.

Where can I use MoviePass? – Support Center

Last edited by molson : 08-16-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

I quit going to movies in theatres because of all the damn people on their cellphones. Which sucks, because I love the movie theatre experience.

Count me in as another younger version who would be all over it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

If you are going to start subscribing now, I suggest getting your fix in before the company officially goes belly up. This reeks of a liquidity crunch.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

AMC just said they were going to look into the possibility of blocking Moviepass from its theaters.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #16
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
AMC just said they were going to look into the possibility of blocking Moviepass from its theaters.

I didn't understand the business plan until I read these articles about AMC. Moviepass doesn't have deals with the theaters, they literally just buy the tickets full price from the theaters. So they're losing money on users who go twice in a month (and who just go once a month in some expensive parts of the country), and they're losing a LOT of money on users who go see everything they can. I know they sell customer data but I wouldn't think that could make up the difference.

I'll give it a shot while it lasts. It's the perfect time and place for me - Regal theaters within 1 mile of work and 2 miles of home, I live with girlfriend but have no kids, and for whatever reason, I haven't seen any of the bad movie behavior I hear about happening in other places. I never see people turn on their phones, and only rarely see people talking during a movie - and usually when that happens its older people at the artsy theater. (Though I wonder how much moviepass will increase theater attendance and thus increase the number of people acting like turds in theaters).

Last edited by molson : 08-16-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
Galaril
Pro Starter

So among the issue with AMC maybe blocking it There is no stopping them from doing this $10 deal and next month jackingnit up to $50 once they have got people signed up and locked in for a year with cancelation fees.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #18
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Unless they've changed it, I think the 1 per day rule is a bit misleading. It used to be that way at the beginning, but they then changed it to once per 24 hour period. So if you see a 9:30 movie tonight, you can't see a 9:20 movie tomorrow. That's not a huge problem at only $9.95/month, though.

I have only read this second hand so take this for whats its worth, but I've read that changed as well. Its 24 hours, but it resets at midnight. You can watch a 9:30 movie and also watch a midnight showing.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So among the issue with AMC maybe blocking it There is no stopping them from doing this $10 deal and next month jackingnit up to $50 once they have got people signed up and locked in for a year with cancelation fees.

The revised plan is month-to-month with a 12 month price guarantee, per the terms of agreement presented at sign-up. No other fees were disclosed.

I guess services like this all rely at some level on people just not bothering to cancel and not using the service anymore, even through price increases.

I signed up yesterday so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by molson : 08-16-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #20
tarcone
Coordinator

This really got my attention. But the closest AMC theater is about an hour away. So I wont be participating.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #21
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

Why? They have taken such a beating recently on stock price that I don't understand why they would turn away money. They are going to sell more full price tickets with this deal.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #22
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

DOLA: After reading the articles I see why they are doing so poorly. If they think it isn't sustainable why didn't they focus on making it sustainable? Captialize on the increased foot traffic by offering plans on food and drinks and/or counter with an unlimited movie/concession plan? They are making more money either way, but if they concern is that it isn't sustainable then they had an opportunity to try and make it sustainable for them. As it stands they just pissed off their new customers before they even stepped in the door.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

Dont concessions drive the success of theaters? If so, trying to get customers in the theater seems like a pretty good idea.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
If they think it isn't sustainable why didn't they focus on making it sustainable? Captialize on the increased foot traffic by offering plans on food and drinks and/or counter with an unlimited movie/concession plan? They are making more money either way, but if they concern is that it isn't sustainable then they had an opportunity to try and make it sustainable for them. As it stands they just pissed off their new customers before they even stepped in the door.

Because I don't think there's any way to make $9.95 sustainable, for anybody, period.

They wouldn't seem to be making more money either way since the only people I can imagine doing something like this would be people that are already going to the movies more than once a month anyway.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #25
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Because I don't think there's any way to make $9.95 sustainable, for anybody, period.

They wouldn't seem to be making more money either way since the only people I can imagine doing something like this would be people that are already going to the movies more than once a month anyway.

Disagree. MoviePass is obviously not making money on yjthe subscription(and time will tell if they make money on selling data), but there will be more butts in seats. They are going to capture more people than you are giving hen credit for. MoviePass is also paying the theatres full price. If MoviePass falters then the cards decline. End of story. Either way AMC certainly doesn't make any less money.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Disagree. MoviePass is obviously not making money on yjthe subscription(and time will tell if they make money on selling data), but there will be more butts in seats. They are going to capture more people than you are giving hen credit for. MoviePass is also paying the theatres full price. If MoviePass falters then the cards decline. End of story. Either way AMC certainly doesn't make any less money.

They do once the model flops, because you've then created an unrealistic expectation of pricing for x+1 number of movies in a month. It's a long range loser for the theaters even if they break even in the short term.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #27
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So does movie pass work with highly anticipated movies as well? For example let's say I want to see Star Wars Episode 8 opening night. Can I waltz right in with my pass?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was assuming MoviePass is getting some sort of marketing kickback from the studios? Something akin to the Tmo Tuesday 4$ tickets or the "buy this DVD get a ticket to movie X" things you see at Walmart.

And also what's to stop me and my wife from getting 2 passes and either going together or just one of us going with my daughter. My wife has a guy's name so basically if the passes were in her name and my daughter's, there'd be no reason to even ID
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:14 AM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I was assuming MoviePass is getting some sort of marketing kickback from the studios? Something akin to the Tmo Tuesday 4$ tickets or the "buy this DVD get a ticket to movie X" things you see at Walmart.

And also what's to stop me and my wife from getting 2 passes and either going together or just one of us going with my daughter. My wife has a guy's name so basically if the passes were in her name and my daughter's, there'd be no reason to even ID

They don't ID. You have a credit card, which is tied to the app on your phone. The funds on the card aren't released until you are near the theater, ready to buy the ticket.

You can't get two tickets on one account because you have to have two different phones and you're limited to one movie per day (and no repeats of the same movie). Now if you have two memberships, you could interchange your wife and daughter as long as your wife doesn't mind being without her phone for a couple hours.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So does movie pass work with highly anticipated movies as well? For example let's say I want to see Star Wars Episode 8 opening night. Can I waltz right in with my pass?

Yes, there are no restrictions to the movie or the time, except you have to buy tickets the day of. So for something that might sell out ahead of time, you are out of luck.

As far as getting more than one pass to a movie, you can't because it is one ticket per account per day, same day screenings only. So you aren't going to be taking people with you on the same account.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #31
molson
General Manager

Anybody else start using this yet since the revamp?

The company got overwhelmed and there have been delays in sending the cards out (they physical card is necessary because it acts as the debit card to buy the tickets).

I got mine early, had to wait a week or so to try it out, and used it at a Regal theater with no problem. From reddit, it seems that things are going smoothly at the bigger chain theaters with some hangups at smaller theaters for various reasons

Last edited by molson : 09-11-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #32
tarcone
Coordinator

jUst checked their site. It sayd the movie theaters closest to me accepts them. Is that legit?

How does it work? Does it charge the card and moviepass puts money in it/

How is this a sustainable business?

Old 09-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #33
molson
General Manager

Once you install the app and tie it your physical card, you just go to the theater and "check in" to a specific movie and time on the app. (You have to be at the theater to do this). Then, moviepass loads money for the movie ticket onto your card and you get a confirmation on the app. Then, you just use the card just like any other debit card to buy a ticket.

I have no idea how or if this is a sustainable business. I haven't read or heard of a convincing explanation anywhere. But I'll enjoy it as long as its around.

Last edited by molson : 09-11-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #34
tarcone
Coordinator

Is it any movie at any time? Or is specific times and movies?

Thanks for the answers.

I would go to a whole lot more movies with this.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #35
molson
General Manager

Any regular 2D movie at any time (no 3D or IMAX). You can only see one movie a day, and you can't see any movie twice. And you can't buy the tickets in advance, so premiere nights for big movies might be tricky. But I figure I'll use it a lot the downtown regal near my office just on the way home on random Tuesdays.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #36
QuikSand
lolzcat

$7/mo now. I am fascinated by this.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #37
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
$7/mo now. I am fascinated by this.

Only if you do the 12 month plan, but it's still amazing. Already upgraded.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #38
Logan
Head Coach

So what is AMC's issue here if they are still getting the full ticket price from the company directly? Is it like a Living Social/Groupon thing where they think users won't ever want to pay full price again after MP goes away/raises rates?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #39
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So what is AMC's issue here if they are still getting the full ticket price from the company directly? Is it like a Living Social/Groupon thing where they think users won't ever want to pay full price again after MP goes away/raises rates?

I read that they shopped their own service to the movie industry and were basically shot down. The key difference is that they wanted to movie industry to eat the loss on lower ticket costs while movie pass is eating the loss themselves. I'm sure the price thing is what they are making public, but deep down they are pissed off that they got beaten to the punch. Hell, they might even still be actively trying to work out their own version and that would be a double gut punch.

I'm still not really sure how this lasts any amount of time at all. I saw that the CEO of the company says they only expect their average customer to watch 6-9 movies a year at the theater. If you run the numbers on that they are going to make money....but I really can't see that being a likely outcome for this company.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-20-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #40
molson
General Manager

They revised the terms and conditions a few months ago to try to cut back on people abusing the system. It just seems like there was a lot they didn't think of. Lots of members were buying a movie ticket every single day whether they actually went to the movie or not, just to rack up theater chain reward points

I don't expect it to last forever but it's been great my girlfriend and I. We live close to multiple theaters and go all time. It's also a great way to relax for a couple of hours when traveling. We're going to be in serious withdrawal when the party's finally over.

Edit: I see the new annual plan as a way to get more money upfront to try to keep the business going until the novelty wears off and they reach the mythical, nonsense 6-9 movies a year average

Last edited by molson : 11-20-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #41
cuervo72
Head Coach

I have a co-worker who was doing that - they changed the ToS to state that you had to actually sit in the theater. I think he's still getting around it somehow.

He'd make a good FOF player, great at finding angles to shoot.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #42
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Next will come the lifetime pass for $100. Then 3 months later the bankruptcy.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #43
tarcone
Coordinator

Just saw on the news that Moviepass and a fanduel movie viewing subscription will be on sale at Costco. $89.99 for one year.

One week only/ Starting today.

Maybe this keeps moviepass afloat.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #44
Galaril
Pro Starter

Any updates from folks using this. I have a guy that works for me who said it is still going and he sees a bunch of movies for 9.99 total a month. I have five kids and the Mrs so not sure I would go out and get 7 passes but might try a pair for me and the wife and see how it goes. My neighborhood theater is subscribed to it.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #45
SackAttack
Head Coach

What they're offering right now is 4 movies/month and an iHeartRadio streaming subscription for $9.99/month, I believe.

Older subs are grandfathered.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #46
molson
General Manager

I don't understand how this business would be sustainable even with a permanent 4/movie a month limit. They're not selling data, as we assumed they would, their business plan seems to assume that AMC and Regal will eventually fork over a share of the concession revenue and charge moviepass less per ticket than they would charge for non-subscribers. Which is very unlikely to ever happen. There was a theater executive who was quoted last week as saying that there's nothing that moviepass is doing that the theaters couldn't do themselves. Moviepass is an unnecessary middle man.

I've spent $80 to see about $400 worth of movies so far, and I'm sure I'm not even in the top half of their subscribers volume-wise. I'm happy to keep doing it as long as I can. And maybe Sinemia can outlive moviepass (they charge $15/month, billed annually, for 3 movie tickets a month, including IMAX and 3D, and you can buy the tickets in advance and reserve seats). It's a more sensible plan, but, even with them, I have no idea how even that's sustainable.

It's just crazy to think though how much of a hit moviepass takes with heavy users in places like NYC, where regular tickets can easily cost $15. A user going say, 20 times, is costing moviepass $300 in exchange for their $10. It's insanity. I can't remember another business ever offering a service like this.

Edit: There's a lot of speculation about whether the 4/month limit is permanent. Moviepass itself says that the unlimited plan will return after this "special" offer ends. They may be trying to limit their losses a bit during the big spring movie season and not get killed by Avengers and Solo. One thing I missed in the TOC when they did the revamp was that you now, you CAN actually see movies multiple times using moviepass. So if you want to see the Avengers every day next week for your $10 (which many people do), you can with moviepass.

Last edited by molson : 04-25-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #47
Logan
Head Coach

The model never could work. And I know they said they're not "selling" data but that doesn't mean they weren't trying to monetize it in other ways.

I wish I realized from the jump that this was owned by a public company. Easiest short of all time missed.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #48
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Easiest short of all time missed.

And wouldn't you know it, the company's stock tanked last week after an internal reported indicated that one of the "challenges" for moviepass was that nobody believed it was sustainable, and that might limit investment in the company.

Last edited by molson : 04-25-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #49
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I am taking advantage of this pretty heavily. Probably averaging a movie a week and in Norther VA the movies are like $14. The best part is you can use the rewards for Regal/AMC and you can double dip. It's pretty insane to be honest. My wife and I reupped when they ran the special where you paid the year in advance for like $84.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:48 AM   #50
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

They switched their plan 2 days after I was thinking of joining

So does this work? heard stories of their customer service not working and if the app doesn't work you are screwed.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote