Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #1
TheRookie92
n00b

Is FOF8 a good place to start?

So I am huge fan of simulation games, as I am from the UK, I play a lot of Football (Soccer) Manager games.

When I say 'Is FOF8 a good place to start?' My experiences with NFL are limited to watching a few Super Bowl games over the years, mainly playing NFL 2k5 as my go to game when I was younger and a little bit of madden 07 I think it was. So, I know somethings about the game in terms of on-field and even that is limited to remembering just the gametime intervals and like 3 or 4 positions, like QB, WR and HB. Let's not start on the Off-field knowledge, as I know very little to nothing especially good teams or players or how drafts and how trades work. So I am going into this like I have zero knowledge of the game and learning from scratch.

I was think about starting with a more mainstream game like Madden 19s Franchise mode and being the owner after watch a youtube playthrough of Madden 18 of this mode but then I saw there were actually management games like FOF8 which I prefer at times and is also in my ideal price budget for a game.

So is the game a good starting point or can you recommend me another game to start with?

TheRookie92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
ezlee2
n00b

Lots of guys from the UK play FOF8. The league I commish (The RZB) has a ton of em and some of the best players I know are UK guys.

In regards to results, FOF8's sim engine is the best out there. The User Interface has a lot to be desired though, but that should improve with FOF9 (which is slated to be released "sometime this fall") so you may want to keep that in mind.
ezlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Squirrel
Mascot

I'm British too and grew up with Champ Manager and then Football Manager. Champ Manager 01/02 was the one for me and that has claimed as many hours of my attention as just about anything, with the only exceptions that immediately come to mind being my A levels, my degree, my professional career and my marriage. (ahem)

I watch a lot of NFL and one day in 2016 while waiting for my newborn son to wake in the early hours of the morning googled to see if there is an NFL version of Champ man. Oh man, that was a rabbit hole and a half. I've now had a team in a multi-player league for two years.

FOF is a great game and in single player mode it's well worth a try. More broadly if you want to learn about the NFL and come to it from an analytical / quant perspective there's a journalist called Bill Barnwell who writes for ESPN who I think writes in an unusually approachable and perceptive way. You could do worse than read some of his stuff and see if it floats your boat.

Last edited by Squirrel : 09-17-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
sirotka33
n00b

If you're already into FM, then if you strip away all of the graphical components and add on a layer of windows 98, then you can definitely get into FOF8. I much prefer it to madden's franchise mode, because madden is still an arcade game.

However, for $15 a month you can get Origin Access Premier which allows access to all EA games(Madden 19, Fifa when it releases next week) and some games that are in the vault, one of which includes OOTP19, if you're into baseball.

OOTP Developments is the company that bought FOF and is continuing with its creator to release a game with a much refreshed UI. They have already been working on the game for over a year, and as one user already said, it should be relesaed sometime during this NFL season. We hope.

I currently am playing quite a bit of madden, but when i tried to do the franchise mode a couple of times, I actually came back and loaded up FOF8 and I've been playing the crap out of it. The rosters and game start are for the 2017 season though, and likely won't see a roster update because of the newer version being released sometime this year.

Either way, I vote buy FOF8 if it sounds cool and you want the franchise mode part of madden, but in reality owning FOF and having Origin Access Premier is my set up.

Good luck, bro!
sirotka33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

FOF8 it's definitely great to start!

Drop me a PM if you want to join the league I commish in Multiplayer environment. We are more than happy to help you to learn the game as you go!
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
More broadly if you want to learn about the NFL and come to it from an analytical / quant perspective there's a journalist called Bill Barnwell who writes for ESPN who I think writes in an unusually approachable and perceptive way. You could do worse than read some of his stuff and see if it floats your boat.

I feel like his writing dropped off a cliff after Grantland shut down. He's repeating articles with little new info. He's stuck talking about QBR even though it kinda sucks. Etc.

I'm more interested in what Warren Sharp has to say anymore. That dude has insights.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

Agreed that Warren Sharp is great.

FootballOutsiders were the first in the online analytics space and some of the better writers (IMO) have moved on including Barnwell, Andy Benoit, Mike Tanier whom I still follow but still most of the weekly articles are instant reads for me each week going back 13 years now and they continue to be the leading edge of the analytical part even if the better writers typically get PAID elesewhere after starting out there.

The Ringer guys have a bit too much millenial fluff and entusiasm for me but I think deep down Robert Mays and Kevin Clark actually know what they are talking about. Barnwell also of course has had to mainstream his writing a bit as well but at least he isn't afraid to say new things and I find his cap/GM analysis to be the best in the biz.
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
Squirrel
Mascot

Interesting, thanks guys. Know what you mean about Barnwell who to my mind has decided to get a bit more mainstream for understandable career reasons and has got a bit less good in the process. A bit like quite a few rappers I've been into over the years (!)

I'm into Warren Sharp also although there's something about his presentation style on his podcasts that grates a tiny bit for me. Still listen though.

I'm nostalgic about the Mays / Barnwell era Grantland NFL podcast which I don't think has been matched since. Used to love that for a combination of insight, analytical bent and entertainment. Like you UshiK I keep half an eye / ear on the Ringer but it hasn't quite captured it as well for my tastes.

This year I read the Football Outsiders almanac PDF cover to cover while I was on my summer holiday. I've never read it before. Good times! I'll be getting it again next year.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post
The Ringer guys have a bit too much millenial fluff and entusiasm for me but I think deep down Robert Mays and Kevin Clark actually know what they are talking about. Barnwell also of course has had to mainstream his writing a bit as well but at least he isn't afraid to say new things and I find his cap/GM analysis to be the best in the biz.

Yeah, you've def got to pick your writers at the Ringer. Sadly financial models are still based on clicks and junk will get the clicks, so junk writers (ie. interns) are hired.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote