Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Black Friday, Cyber Monday & Christmas - 2018

Its that time of year again. What deals are you guys hoping to get?

Wife hinted at a new desktop (she has a 2012 Dell i5 model). Daughter said she doesn't need anything and son hasn't replied yet (so much easier when they were young).

I like electronics but can't really justify the new higher priced iPads and will probably wait next year for new iPhones for the family (when they ditch the Lightning ports and the family think the newer iPhones are too big).

So I think I'll be opportunistic this year and just see what good deals are out there.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm hoping for a good Switch Bundle
Old 11-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wife spotted deals on tablets, which are kinda due for an upgrade around here so that's a good match of need/opportunity.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wife spotted deals on tablets, which are kinda due for an upgrade around here so that's a good match of need/opportunity.

What type of tablets ... and the deal?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
What type of tablets ... and the deal?

You're asking that like I'm told, you know, details & shit.
Clearly you haven't picked up on how things really work around my house lol

(I think it was around $70, some gen android-based, I think it was Best Buy she was looking at when she mentioned it)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm hoping to get the PS4-SpiderMan combo for $200 for my teenager without having to brave the Best Buy/Target/Walmart doorbusters crowd. Anyone know if that deal will be online as well?

Last edited by Arles : 11-09-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I want a doorbell that will let me talk to UPS from work...

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
I want a doorbell that will let me talk to UPS from work...

You could with a Ring, but they won't stick around long enough to chat.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hope I find a house, getting tired of living with my in laws.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I can only imagine. I couldn't live with my mom or the in-laws for any length of time. We had decided a while ago if either needed to live with us we would do an apartment close to us instead.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I can only imagine. I couldn't live with my mom or the in-laws for any length of time. We had decided a while ago if either needed to live with us we would do an apartment close to us instead.

It isn't that bad. Kids have their own room each, wife and I have a separate apartment attached to the house. I actually like my In Laws, and it is nice to be able to run errands, etc...and leave them, which my In Laws are very accommodating of. It just sucks not having your own space.

The nice thing is we aren't here out of necessity, we re just waiting for a house to come available that works for us. Could be much worse.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm hoping to get the PS4-SpiderMan combo for $200 for my teenager without having to brave the Best Buy/Target/Walmart doorbusters crowd. Anyone know if that deal will be online as well?

Just saw this in the BF ads. Have to believe Amazon would try to match as BB/Target/Walmart has it. Good luck.

For those that don't know, you can find BF ads that are already out here Black Friday 2018 Deals Ads & Coupons | Slickdeals
Old 11-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Just moved into my in laws house....lucky for me they don't live here! Even without them here it doesn't feel like home, so I'm ready to get into our own place soon as well.

As for tablets out there. If you are looking at an Android tablet, I absolutely love my Huawei Mediapad M5. I have the 8.4" model, but the bigger model is nice as well from what I gather. I saw a leak from Microsoft that could make the new Surface Pro very affordable as well.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

We agreed on furniture for basement and some gardening tools (blower/mulcher).

Still going to stock up on some cheap blu-rays though.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #15
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Just saw this in the BF ads. Have to believe Amazon would try to match as BB/Target/Walmart has it. Good luck.

For those that don't know, you can find BF ads that are already out here Black Friday 2018 Deals Ads & Coupons | Slickdeals

It looks like both Target and Gamestop are starting the $199 for the PS4+Spiderman deal on Sunday, 11/18
Old 11-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Oldest said she wanted a pair of boots and that it. Youngest will probably want more sports gear and XBox games. Wife hasn't mentioned anything. I'll do the usual - buy a bunch of common items I need at the time (soap, shampoo, razors) and have them wrapped up so my wife doesn't get mad at me for not having anything to unwrap. I'm pretty well over buying shit just to buy it because of the holidays.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #17
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm hoping for a good Switch Bundle

Me too.. Wonder if any will beat the $300 Mario Kart 8 one I see a lot. The Mario Party+Joy Con bundle is a good deal too.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #18
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Me too.. Wonder if any will beat the $300 Mario Kart 8 one I see a lot. The Mario Party+Joy Con bundle is a good deal too.

I'm losing hope of a better deal. I already have Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U. It looks like Nintendo is being stingy on sales again.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:

Im definitely grabbing the Switch/Mario Kart bundle!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #20
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It looks like Target has the $200 PS4+Spiderman deal available online:

https://www.target.com/p/playstation...e/-/A-54140418

I ended up buying it on Walmart yesterday morning for store pickup. I should be able to pick it up this weekend (and avoid the BF rush). They sold out pretty quick but it looks like Target is still available.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

Arlie, you're my hero! Thank you!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone seen anything on Switch?

Thinking about one for my 8 year old
Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Switch isn't going to have anything much. Maybe a $300 for a Switch and a game. With Pokémon Let's Go & Smash (in Dec) coming out, I'm guessing Nintendo feels they don't have to drop the price much to have them flying off the shelves.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

Does a PS4/Madden bundle exist?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Iirc I’ve seen them at Costco
Old 11-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #26
Capital
High School Varsity

Anyone have thoughts on smartwatches - like the new Galaxy Watch? They seem interesting at the store but just don't know how much I would use them.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I use my Fitbit Charge 3 as a "smart watch". It has notifications for any app I elect on my phone, which I think is good enough. The best benefit of a watch that can get notifications is that you can quickly look to see if the text/message is worth responding to right now or is just something you can read and move on. Also for someone who keeps their phone on vibrate, it makes it easier to distinguish what notifications you are receiving (if your sound is on that's much less important of a 'feature').
Old 11-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
digamma
Torchbearer

Following up on the console posts, my two boys are asking for a console for the first time. They've circled the X Box One S, and they say the games they want are Madden, Fifa and NBA 2k. Am I looking at the right console (they don't know the difference yet, they are 8 and 5), or should I be considering the Switch? I'm not sure we'd get much out of the X Box One X at this point, but if anyone has super strong feelings (not in a Console Wars thread sort of way), I'm open to considering.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Switch doesn't have Madden (it does have FIFA and NBA 2k). Though the Switch may have more games that your 8 and 5 year old would like aside from the sports ones. The portability may be a point of contention (when one kid takes the console and the other kid can't play it, etc).
Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #30
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The Switch isn't going to have anything much. Maybe a $300 for a Switch and a game. With Pokémon Let's Go & Smash (in Dec) coming out, I'm guessing Nintendo feels they don't have to drop the price much to have them flying off the shelves.

Gamestop is throwing in a $50 gift card with the purchase of the Switch. If the deal is online then I might bite.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #31
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Following up on the console posts, my two boys are asking for a console for the first time. They've circled the X Box One S, and they say the games they want are Madden, Fifa and NBA 2k. Am I looking at the right console (they don't know the difference yet, they are 8 and 5), or should I be considering the Switch? I'm not sure we'd get much out of the X Box One X at this point, but if anyone has super strong feelings (not in a Console Wars thread sort of way), I'm open to considering.

My kids are little bit younger then yours but the Switch has been a huge hit. Their favorite so far has actually been Go Vacation which is a really fun game to play as a family. They love going around the map on the vehicles, doing the activities, and they love using their "Mii" characters which look like them. Other hits have been Super Mario Party and Mario Kart 8.

The Switch won't have any of the games like Madden, but by far they have the most kid friendly games, especially for the younger ones.

Last edited by jaygr : 11-19-2018 at 07:40 PM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #32
digamma
Torchbearer

Cool, thanks. Madden is probably a deal breaker here for the switch. That game is the number one priority.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #33
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
I use my Fitbit Charge 3 as a "smart watch". It has notifications for any app I elect on my phone, which I think is good enough. The best benefit of a watch that can get notifications is that you can quickly look to see if the text/message is worth responding to right now or is just something you can read and move on. Also for someone who keeps their phone on vibrate, it makes it easier to distinguish what notifications you are receiving (if your sound is on that's much less important of a 'feature').

Thanks for the info on the Fitbit Charge 3, I'll take a look at that.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #34
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is a solid tweet/PSA right here:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know that used to be a massive thing - people complaining about vertical videos. But I've seen that die away substantially. More and more people are ok with vertical videos (or don't want to turn their phones sideways to SEE the videos).
Old 11-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #36
Edward64
Head Coach

Here's an xls with the deals. Not sure how complete it is but it's pretty good. I've used it to flag the bluray's I plan to get.

BEST Black Friday 2018 Cheat Sheet: Thousands of Deals
Old 11-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
You know that used to be a massive thing - people complaining about vertical videos. But I've seen that die away substantially. More and more people are ok with vertical videos (or don't want to turn their phones sideways to SEE the videos).

They're okay with vertical videos because they're watching them on vertical phones. Back then, people were mostly accessing YouTube on monitors/laptops.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #38
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It looks like Target has the $200 PS4+Spiderman deal available online:

https://www.target.com/p/playstation...e/-/A-54140418

I ended up buying it on Walmart yesterday morning for store pickup. I should be able to pick it up this weekend (and avoid the BF rush). They sold out pretty quick but it looks like Target is still available.

I ordered the Target bundle yesterday. Great deal. Best Buy had it online as well. It sold out, went back in stock, then sold out again.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #39
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
They're okay with vertical videos because they're watching them on vertical phones. Back then, people were mostly accessing YouTube on monitors/laptops.

Yep, exactly. (however there were a lot of kind of silly reasoning people used about seeing more in a horizontal video, which it turns out people really didn't care about after all)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-20-2018 at 04:59 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #40
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Shameless Plug: If you're buying via Amazon, please consider using this link to help offset server costs for a few FOF MP leagues!

https://www.amazon.com/?&tag=interho...MRF6GA9CE1ZY6G

(Seriously, we're registered as advertisers for Amazon, so we get paid for every purchase made via that link.)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #41
Drake
assmaster

Well, thanks to you guys, I just scored the Chrome Book my daughter wanted for $85. (The deal wasn't $85, but it turned out that I was sitting on about $70 in Best Buy rewards that I got to apply on top of the sale price.)

Now I can take Black Friday off, I guess, because I'm not going to get a better deal than that anywhere, so I'd just be disappointed.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Switch Question

Do we need to buy controllers separately?
Old 11-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #43
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal ?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintend...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #44
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks average to me. Unless I'm missing something, it seems you can buy both products separately for the same price. It's a buy if you really want the pokemon theme.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-21-2018 at 08:38 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Looks average to me. Unless I'm missing something, it seems you can buy both products separately for the same price. It's a buy if you really want the pokemon theme.

yeah.

My 8 year old loves Pokemon.

Does it come with everything we need to play out of the box or is there some accessory I am missing?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe a micro SD card and maybe an additional controller and prob want a screen protector and case.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #47
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Gamestop bundle with the 50 dollar gift card seems like it is a bust. Ordered the regular Mario Kart bundle from Best Buy instead.

FUCK EA
Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #48
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Gamestop bundle with the 50 dollar gift card seems like it is a bust. Ordered the regular Mario Kart bundle from Best Buy instead.

Why is it a bust compared to the best buy offering?
Old 11-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #49
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Why is it a bust compared to the best buy offering?

It appeared that the offer was for a mario kart 8 bundle and a 50 dollar gift card for 299.99, but it turns out the deal is not available for the mariokart bundle according to the angry mob at slickdeals.. The Gamestop ad certainly seemed to imply that the mariokart bundle was included in the deal, but apparently it isn't.

FUCK EA
Old 11-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #50
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Seems like it is included to me

https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-sw...ft-card/170682