Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #18051
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Four straight nights of Diwali fireworks (Wed was the most). Is it asking too much to keep your fireworks celebration to one night and on a non-school night?

TBF, the fireworks around me are generally done by 10pm so that is great, but com'on 4 freaking nights (and maybe a 5th tomorrow)?

In Fort Wayne I hear fireworks every night from about June 25th to about July 10th. Its fucking infuriating. Many of those nights its well after the allowed hours for them.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #18052
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fireworks are the worst.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #18053
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just saw the first commercial of the year for " buy a car for an xmas gift!"

They make me crazy!

Does anyone else feel like it is completely irresponsible to make a major purchase like that without discussing it with your spouse?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #18054
cuervo72
Head Coach

If it's the same commercial, I don't know who buys two new big-ass trucks at the same time. Of course they look like they live in a multi-million dollar home, so that's probably who.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #18055
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have the sinking feeling that nobody is ever going to buy me a new luxury car for Christmas.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #18056
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If it's the same commercial, I don't know who buys two new big-ass trucks at the same time. Of course they look like they live in a multi-million dollar home, so that's probably who.

That was the one.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #18057
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hey honey I just set you up with a 835$/month car payment for that truck you want so bad!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #18058
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I have the sinking feeling that nobody is ever going to buy me a new luxury car for Christmas.

It’s actually the big giant bow that’s the present though.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #18059
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It’s actually the big giant bow that’s the present though.

I just leased a 2019 BMW X3 and when I picked it up they had a huge bow on it.

I kind of wanted to puke.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #18060
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Does anyone else feel like it is completely irresponsible to make a major purchase like that without discussing it with your spouse?

I know a fair number of couples where that would be the norm and it suits both parties just fine that way.

I ain't necessarily saying that it's not irresponsible but it's certainly realistic for a certain portion of the population.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:38 AM   #18061
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's certainly not going on in my world, but it must happen enough that there are multiple marketing campaigns and financing/incentive programs built around it.

I expect the great majority of people who do end up making new car gift purchases don't exactly do it in the manner of the commercials, i.e. a new car is at least a possibility you've discussed at some point, and/or a new car is going to largely be a shared benefit, as opposed to car commercials which paint it like SURPRISE, MATCHING NEW CARS FOR ALL THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-13-2018 at 12:39 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #18062
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
It's certainly not going on in my world, but it must happen enough that there are multiple marketing campaigns and financing/incentive programs built around it.

Off the top of my head I know at least 3 women who've never made a major purchase -- nor really had much input into same -- in their life.

It's just a different life.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #18063
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Off the top of my head I know at least 3 women who've never made a major purchase -- nor really had much input into same -- in their life.

It's just a different life.

Yeah that's kind of my life to be honest.
My wife wants no involvement in the finances. None.

To the point that a decade ago she actually gave me a power of attorney explicitly for the reason of her not having to go see the accountant and sign tax papers.

Car buying she tells me what she wants. I go find it, negotiate the deal have everything set up. I come back she drives it, nods and I signt he check and drive away.

I have the same amount of involvement in laundry and dishes. I open the closet/cabinet and clean stuff is there. When I'm done I toss them in the hopper/sink and they are-appear tomorrow.

Again I know that sounds barbaric or horrific to some, but it works for us and makes us both happy.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #18064
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Man, if I could get my wife to agree to allow a POA for laundry and house cleaning, I'd be golden!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-13-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #18065
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Yeah that's kind of my life to be honest.
My wife wants no involvement in the finances. None.

I'm cool with it, as long as it works
(and as long as she does some basics for credit history purposes in the event of anything that falls under "God forbid ...")

I stay out of any number of decisions here for one reason or another myself, so I don't have any shade for anybody over it.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #18066
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Man, if I could get my wife to agree to allow a POA for laundry and house cleaning, I'd be golden!

Well my wife hasn't worked outside the home in 17 years. We both grew up without traditional families and it was important to us that when we had kids she would be home to raise them.

Early on it was a tremendous strain when I was starting my first business and things were tight. In fact I actually took a second job (3rd shift) and slept 3 hours or less daily for 18 months. But I wouldnt trade it for anything.

When we started gaining traction she always got spoiled first.

She will quickly tell anyone, she doesnt care about the money and material things...she says "I didnt earn any of it, if we separate I dont deserve any of it" that's not to say she doesnt want and have nice stuff (her current 2nd car cost more than the house we lived in when she quit to raise Lane) but again it works for us.

Just as an example last night we had split parental duty. There was a school function for both kids and a mandatory Club Volleyball (for my daughter) parent meeting 35 miles away. I did school and she did volleyball. I was going to start supper when we got home before her but she threw a fit and said it was "her job" and insisted we wait.

Again different strokes different folks
Old 11-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #18067
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

lol.

My wife and I decided 2 1/2 years ago I would quit my job to stay home with our then 2 and 5 year old. Best decision we ever made, and our family could not be better off for it. We are fortunate she has a great job as a VP for a Warren Buffet company and it just made sense.

The one concession I told her we had to keep our cleaning person to come weekly because I am just not wired to clean bathrooms, mop floors, etc...
Old 11-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #18068
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My 5 year old was invited to a bday party. When I RSVPd via text, I asked the mom what kind of toys the kid likes.

She wrote back no toys needed and just spending the day with his friends is enough.

WTF is that and what do I do?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #18069
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My 5 year old was invited to a bday party. When I RSVPd via text, I asked the mom what kind of toys the kid likes.

She wrote back no toys needed and just spending the day with his friends is enough.

WTF is that and what do I do?

itunes gift card lol but seriously
Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #18070
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Thought of that. My kids love getting those.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #18071
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I second this recommendation.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #18072
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So next year, our insurance will be through the mega-corporation that bought us awhile back. Just got a list of the prices.

Fuck me. Comparable coverage would be over double a paycheck.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #18073
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This gofundme thing is just the final exclamation point on what has been a pretty shitty news year.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #18074
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So at 5am this morning the smoke alarms are going off in our apartment (my wife had to wake me up - how I slept through that is interesting and worrisome...). Anyways, no smoke at all. So I look at the alarms and find the one that is the initiator (they are all linked). Turns out it was a bad battery. Take the battery out and the alarms just stop (the device was still attached to the main power). My wife runs to Kroger, gets a new 9V battery and voila. Absolutely nuts - it never chirped.

Find out leasing office replaces the batteries every 6 months in the smoke alarms. Must have just been a bad battery in this one. But wow, am I exhausted today.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #18075
Butter
Coordinator

I got up at 4:45 AM this morning. On purpose. So there
Old 11-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #18076
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I went to bed at 1:30(ish)am so there .
Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #18077
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Worked til about 530a.
Got awakened for a missing attachment to an email at 8ish.
Got awakened again with a bunch of b.s. tweaks to all that work at 10ish.

Friday acting like Monday can just piss right on off.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #18078
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So at 5am this morning the smoke alarms are going off in our apartment (my wife had to wake me up - how I slept through that is interesting and worrisome...). Anyways, no smoke at all. So I look at the alarms and find the one that is the initiator (they are all linked). Turns out it was a bad battery. Take the battery out and the alarms just stop (the device was still attached to the main power). My wife runs to Kroger, gets a new 9V battery and voila. Absolutely nuts - it never chirped.

Find out leasing office replaces the batteries every 6 months in the smoke alarms. Must have just been a bad battery in this one. But wow, am I exhausted today.

A couple years ago while we were on vacation our alarms kept going off. Our neighbors went above and beyond to try to fix it, pulling and replacing batteries, etc. They went off multiple random times, and a fire truck showed up at least twice. Finally, we just had them pull all the batteries, but what happened was a few of them would randomly chirp - even without the battery. So then we finally disconnected them from electricity and called someone to look at it. Turns out the detectors had gone bad. All 8 or 10 of them had to be replaced. Guy said they usually don't last beyond 10 years and you should replace them every.decade before they go haywire.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #18079
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I've also heard the 10 year mark. Though these look pretty new (and the leasing office is responsible for that, so hopefully when I asked them to take a look at it, they looked at how many years it's been there).
Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #18080
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We just sold our house in Oregon, it was about 10 years old and one of the requests made by the buyers were to replace all the smoke alarms.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #18081
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I never realized that. Ours are the originals...on an 18yo house. So, probably something I need to take a look at.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #18082
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm finding as I get older, I hate driving in traffic. The side of Indy that I live on has grown quite a bit over the last 20 years and the interstate infrastructure can't handle it even after they've expanded. Someone made some bad decisions.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #18083
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I about pass out from drinking but I awake to this on youtube

Is this communist Power Rangers or WTF?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #18084
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
oof. Just found out that one of the guys I work with at my customer in Clearwater was murdered over the weekend.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #18085
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 11-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #18086
path12
Coordinator

A friend of mine recently reconnected with a woman he used to go to school with (he's around 50ish). He traveled down to where she lived a couple of times, she did the same, etc etc.

She was up here this weekend, they went out, had a great time, went back to his place, started getting busy and in the middle of it she had a brain aneurysm. He called 911, they get her to the hospital but it is too late, he basically waited there alone until one of her relatives could get to town to sign off on unplugging life support.

Really tragic and a horrible thing to happen to everyone involved. I understand this wholeheartedly and feel awful for my friend and his friend.

BUT. A little part of me is like, wow, respect. I'm NOT SAYING he fucked her to death. But he kinda fucked her to death, right?

I'm so going to hell for this.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #18087
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm finding as I get older, I hate driving in traffic. The side of Indy that I live on has grown quite a bit over the last 20 years and the interstate infrastructure can't handle it even after they've expanded. Someone made some bad decisions.

I go to Indy about once a month for various things, and I dread anytime I have to drive anywhere north of 70.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #18088
lungs
Pro Rookie

So I was out in Vegas for a Cannabis convention, went to this new dispensary that is supposed to be the Mall of America for cannabis. And when I pulled up somebody had been shot in the parking lot.

I did manage to make my purchase before they had to shut down!

(the guy was only shot in the hand for those concerned)
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #18089
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Is that the new 40,000 sq foot one by the Trump International? It is on my list to visit next week when I'm there for the Amazon Web Services conference.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #18090
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the last few random thoughts are rather sad...
Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #18091
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And though the last random thoughts was rather sad
Well, I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph
Old 11-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #18092
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Is that the new 40,000 sq foot one by the Trump International? It is on my list to visit next week when I'm there for the Amazon Web Services conference.

Yes, Planet 13. It's a cool experience. They aren't fully operational yet, they have plans to have a 'consumption lounge' and some other neat stuff. If you are looking to actually purchase, the experience is built into the price. Most of my money was spent at Reef, across the street
Old 11-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #18093
lungs
Pro Rookie

dola

For edibles, check out Apothecary Labs.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:18 AM   #18094
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I suspect the 6ix9ine case is going to be a horse race to see who rolls first.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #18095
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Dear, Sweet, Adorably-Naive White People:

"I'm fitna blow up dis bafroom" has nothing do with a bomb threat.

Warrant: Man accused of bomb threat told NOPD he was referring to ‘bowel movement’ | nola.com

Dear Black People:

Be careful what you say. Smitty ain't always around to translate for Hoppy!

Old 11-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #18096
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I have recently taken to using a shaving oil, rather than gel/cream. I like it.

Anyway, the downside is that it's not all that visually obvious (in a mow-the-lawn way) when I have missed a part of my face. So, there are days when I get into the office, or to my first engagement, and realize that I have an odd half-inch vertical strip of stubble right around my chin, extending for two inches or so down my neck.

Thus, reaffirming my inevitable slide into becoming a doddering old fool.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #18097
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, I have recently taken to using a shaving oil, rather than gel/cream. I like it.

Anyway, the downside is that it's not all that visually obvious (in a mow-the-lawn way) when I have missed a part of my face. So, there are days when I get into the office, or to my first engagement, and realize that I have an odd half-inch vertical strip of stubble right around my chin, extending for two inches or so down my neck.

Thus, reaffirming my inevitable slide into becoming a doddering old fool.

i keep a razor in my work backpack for just such an occasion.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #18098
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Dear, Sweet, Adorably-Naive White People:

"I'm fitna blow up dis bafroom" has nothing do with a bomb threat.

Warrant: Man accused of bomb threat told NOPD he was referring to ‘bowel movement’ | nola.com

Dear Black People:

Be careful what you say. Smitty ain't always around to translate for Hoppy!

hehehe
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #18099
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just got hit with a telephone scammer. He lead me on for a good 10-15 minutes before I caught on. At least I believe it was a scammer.

If I get arrested in the next 30 minutes then I'm wrong.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #18100
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Just got hit with a telephone scammer. He lead me on for a good 10-15 minutes before I caught on. At least I believe it was a scammer.

If I get arrested in the next 30 minutes then I'm wrong.

Very common scam.

If you got a callback number there are good people on the internet who will fuck with them and waste their time, limiting their scam opportunities.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote