Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #51
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

IIRC, while he was on his way to the gas station he walked by a set of tents that appeared to be the same group of tents the group of people (his wife and kid) were living.

mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #52
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yeah. H_B, I'm looking at you. I will punch you in the face if you ruin this... IN THE FACE!

I will be careful. Besides if you try to come here and punch me in the face, I am Michigan's Defense will sto... Nevermind.

Don't worry, other than the frist one, I haven't really read the comics in a long time. Probably a year or two. My details are pretty fuzzy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I found that curious, too. I watched this with a guy who is a big time devotee of the comic (I have never read a page), and he said that isn't in there, and he couldn't explain it as a story-telling device. He figured the director added it for flavor and tone-setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I had problems with that but my son had an easy explanation that sounded right to me. That scene occurs between him leaving the sheriff's office & finding the horse.

Remember, he takes the horse (apparently) because he's run completely out of gas for the patrol car. In the opening scene he's carrying a gas can & my son explained that this had to take place before he ran completely out, he was looking for gas because he knew he was getting low. Maybe that's not right, but I couldn't find any real flaw in his logic. And yes, I felt rather dumb to have my 12 y/o explain it to me. The purpose was strictly to set the tone for a brutal world and, perhaps, to show that our main character was equipped to deal with the new realities even if it was difficult to do.

Btw, the car he's driving is actually a GA state troopers car, only ones in the state with that color scheme. Sheriff's vehicles are uniformly brown, with the exception of unmarked & non-patrol vehicles (which are white).

I think your son nailed it, Jon. Unless they decide to do some sort of "Lost" like flashbacks, showing what folks were like before the zombies came around, it should be the last of that sort of temporal change. At least, it should be the last one that's confusing.

I was a bit confused myself at first, since the comic opens in the "present" with Rick getting shot. The little opening was just a mood setter.

They might have been well served to put in a "x weeks earlier" script when it went back to Rick and Shane in the car.

I guess some people (none here) had an issue with the little zombie girl picking up the teddy bear. I think it's been pretty well established in the zombie genre that zombies tend to have some very basic residual "memories" if you will. In the original "Dawn of the Dead", they theorized that the reason so many zombies were drawn to the shopping mall was because it was a familiar place to them, a place that evoked positive memories, etc. The same could be said for why the zombie wife kept going back to the house and kept trying to open the door when others didn't. She "remembered" that place being of some sort of importance to her. So, the fact that the little zombie girl picked up her favorite teddy bear when stumbling across it, seemed consistent and a nice, creepy little touch. Also, it gave Rick a reason to believe that she wasn't a zombie at first.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #54
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just got to see this last night, a couple thoughts and a question.

As far as the opening scene, it seemed to me like they wanted to set a bit of a tone. The first zombie kill wasn't some near desperation kill in a chase or a horde of zombies attacking him, but a very calm and cool disposal of a single little girl zombie. For those of us who haven't read the comics I think that states fairly plainly that not a lot is going to be off limits and that they aren't going to pull many punches.

It was a bit confusing time line wise (the person I watched with was asking about that and while I was pretty sure that what followed was indeed prior events to what we just saw, was going more on what I thought was logical over any real indications at the time).

My big question is, how long was he in the hospital? Given the state of things when he woke up, well, how was he even still alive? If all the electronics were dead/out of power, well, it couldn't have been very long or he'd have died due to no nourishment, but given the state of the world around him, well, it looked like he had been out of it an awfully long time. Granted the breakdown of the hospital wouldn't have happened immediately, but it sure looked like it had been for more than a few days.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #55
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
My big question is, how long was he in the hospital? Given the state of things when he woke up, well, how was he even still alive? If all the electronics were dead/out of power, well, it couldn't have been very long or he'd have died due to no nourishment, but given the state of the world around him, well, it looked like he had been out of it an awfully long time. Granted the breakdown of the hospital wouldn't have happened immediately, but it sure looked like it had been for more than a few days.

I haven't read the comics, so I can't say for certain how much time has passed. But I believe it was in the scene in the shower at the police station that one of the characters mentioned that the gas lines had been down "for about a month"...so it's been at least that long
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That was one of the things that I couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer for either. Based on his beard growth, my guess was +/- a couple of weeks (if I assume they weren't having the nurses shave him) in the hospital with the last 2-4 days of it being zombie apocalypse time.

They hint at him being dehydrated (drinking from the bathroom sink) but it can't be too many days, otherwise he's in much worse condition.

One of the few moments that really nagged at me was him on the bicycle, as I had a tough time believing he had even his limited success with it after a couple of weeks flat on his back.

edit to add: Speaking of the hospital, I was also puzzled by the obvious damage to the building, what appeared to be artillery/cannon damage to the exterior wall of the hospital (in the background as he's walking on the loading dock toward the covered bodies). I saw the chopper on the landing pad & assumed there had been some combat there but saw relatively little other sign of that other than a few stray bullet holes inside the hospital ward.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-03-2010 at 12:38 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And, while we're asking questions about Ep 1 anyway, is anyone confident about what county the car was coming from during the chase scene?

My ears heard it as "Linden County", which would be fictional. My son swore it was "Lincoln County", which could fit into the apparent distance from Atlanta. That would likely have made him a Wilkes County or McDuffie County deputy & could have placed the hospital in Augusta, GA. Otherwise, the hospital seemed too large for a rural county & became another thing that tweaked my realism meter.

Was his location specified in the graphic novels?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #58
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Was his location specified in the graphic novels?

In the graphic novel, Rick is actually a cop in Kentucky when everything begins. So, he travels to Kentucky to Atlanta to find his family.

I didn't quite look at the cop cars or cop uniforms to see if they gave any indication as to whether they changed it to some location in Georgia for the series.

I do agree that the timing of everything is a bit off.

I guess what you could say is that Rick was in a coma (not sure how fall into a coma from a gunshot wound to the chest, but I'm not a doctor) for a few weeks. Let's assume that zombie outbreak started very shortly after he fell into the coma. Shit goes crazy. Hospital is at the center of things with people bringing wounded/dead there. Hospital does its best to maintain order, take care of people. Finally, all hands abandon ship. Some nurse realizes Rick is still there in a coma, pushes the bed in front of his door, hoping that it's better than nothing, and leaves.

So, while the zombie outbreak might have been going on for a few weeks, Rick could have still have been receiving some amount of limited care, change of IVs, water, etc. up until, say, a few days before he wakes up.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I didn't quite look at the cop cars or cop uniforms to see if they gave any indication as to whether they changed it to some location in Georgia for the series.

The locations very much appear to be rural GA from the outset (although that could be a matter of knowing where it was filmed & what to look for) but I did find this reference to the shift.

He will also be using an American accent, but won’t be attempting the deep Southern drawl of his character in the comic, as they’ve moved the action from Kentucky to Georgia to make the accent “slightly less rural.”

Read more: Breakfast With The Walking Dead http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/07/23/brea...#ixzz14FO97U8R

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-03-2010 at 12:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #60
JediKooter
Coordinator

Question to the people who know the comics. Is it ever revealed how long he was in a coma? I ask because, when he woke up, he had a beard that looked to be maybe a week old. I know if I don't shave for about a week, my facial hair would be roughly same as his was when he woke up in the hospital.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #61
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Question to the people who know the comics. Is it ever revealed how long he was in a coma? I ask because, when he woke up, he had a beard that looked to be maybe a week old. I know if I don't shave for about a week, my facial hair would be roughly same as his was when he woke up in the hospital.

I really don't remember if they ever do give a specific amount of time.

I think it is anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so.

You can't just assume that the start of the zombie uprising = the end of Rick's care.

Even if the zombies did start coming around a month or so ago, it's entirely possible Rick still received some care up until a few days or a week before he woke up.

I agree that he probably should be more scraggly, thicker beard, neck not shaven, but it's TV. You have to do somethings for aesthetic purposes, I suppose. He probably should have also had a catheter, being in a coma and all.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #62
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I really don't remember if they ever do give a specific amount of time.

I think it is anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so.

You can't just assume that the start of the zombie uprising = the end of Rick's care.

Even if the zombies did start coming around a month or so ago, it's entirely possible Rick still received some care up until a few days or a week before he woke up.

The way I interpreted it was, they probably did all they could for him as long as they could, until they had to evacuate. You could also tell that even though the hospital was invaded by zombies, they seemed to have been held in check in certain parts of the facility and they even had time to lock some up.

Quote:
I agree that he probably should be more scraggly, thicker beard, neck not shaven, but it's TV. You have to do somethings for aesthetic purposes, I suppose. He probably should have also had a catheter, being in a coma and all.

That thought did enter my mind: It's TV, I'm sure there's things done for practical reasons, but, wondered if the amount of time he was there was a thing to consider other than to have two plot points develop; 1. The zombie uprising and 2. His family 'situation'. It's funny you mention the catheter, I was thinking, "Damn, he is not going to have a good time getting that thing out".

With all that being said, I'm thinking he couldn't have been in a coma for more than a week and a half or so. How long can a human survive with no water? 8, 9 days I think? If that is how long he was in a coma, and how much things have gone down hill, is just a testament on how fast and vicious the zombie apocalypse happened.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
With all that being said, I'm thinking he couldn't have been in a coma for more than a week and a half or so. How long can a human survive with no water? 8, 9 days I think? If that is how long he was in a coma, and how much things have gone down hill, is just a testament on how fast and vicious the zombie apocalypse happened.

Assuming he still received care until a few days before he woke up, I think he could be in a coma for a while. I don't really have any experience with people in comas, but I assume they get their "water" through IV fluids or some other method.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #64
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
And, while we're asking questions about Ep 1 anyway, is anyone confident about what county the car was coming from during the chase scene?

My ears heard it as "Linden County", which would be fictional. My son swore it was "Lincoln County", which could fit into the apparent distance from Atlanta. That would likely have made him a Wilkes County or McDuffie County deputy & could have placed the hospital in Augusta, GA. Otherwise, the hospital seemed too large for a rural county & became another thing that tweaked my realism meter.

According to the badge on his uniform and the sign on the Police Station, it was set in (fictional) King County, Georgia.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #65
Travis
Pro Rookie

So there's a moral dilemma for you.

Husband has been shot and is currently in a coma. All sorts of stuff starts to hit the fan and the best idea is to get out of town and head to Atlanta to the quarantine zone.

Do you take off and leave him on his own in a hospital where you pretty much give him up for dead, take some provisions/arms and try to hole up in there until he comes around (along with making sure he's taken care of while unable to do so himself) or try to take him with you and figure out care for him on the road (assuming you're traveling by vehicle)?

Granted, we don't know how much time has passed and can give the story the benefit of the doubt that his care, whether provided by people or machine, has only stopped within say a week of him coming to. I'd also assume those working in the hospital would've been taking off around the same time his wife did, so it's somewhat improbable to defend her decision by saying that she was leaving him in better care than she could have provided, especially given who she was traveling with.

Not suggesting this to rag on the show, but more crouching it in the terms of what a brutal life decision that would be to make and I'm not sure if the presence of a child would make it easier or harder to walk away from him in a coma. The kids safety likely coming first and all, but even in a marriage with some deep issues, that can't be an easy decision to make. Will be interesting to see if he questions that at any point (assuming he meets up with her which I'd be very surprised if it doesn't happen).
Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Assuming this happened to me and Lady H_B and had a child and I woke up from my coma and managed to find them, my response to her would be: "You did the right thing."
Old 11-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #67
Subby
lolzcat

I think I like zombie apocalypse stories so much better than vampire stories b/c the former actually seems plausible. The Walking Dead just reinforces that for me - so very easy to buy all of it.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 11-03-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #68
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Assuming he still received care until a few days before he woke up, I think he could be in a coma for a while. I don't really have any experience with people in comas, but I assume they get their "water" through IV fluids or some other method.

I can see that definitely and makes sense. I hope they explore the beginning of the zombie invasion and we get to see how it all went down.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #69
Easy Mac

Another timeline question, re: the wife. Are we to assume she and the other cop were having an affair, as their relationship seemed far more familiar than a few weeks on the run from zombies.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #70
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Another timeline question, re: the wife. Are we to assume she and the other cop were having an affair, as their relationship seemed far more familiar than a few weeks on the run from zombies.

That was my assumption.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #71
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Assuming this happened to me and Lady H_B and had a child and I woke up from my coma and managed to find them, my response to her would be: "You did the right thing."

Fair enough, and I'd like to think I would say the same, but what if the situation were reversed?

Obviously as the one waking up/working your way back, you really don't have much say in the matter, but I'm having trouble just trying to imagine how hard of a decision that'd be for the one who'd have to do the walking away.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

I didn't think pre-existing affair, but given the state of the relationship as established in the hamburger-in-the-car discussion, I'd say she was already pretty much mentally checked out of the marriage. There might have been some subtle foreshadowing of an on-going affair between her & the partner in that conversation but that wasn't my first inclination about it.

This is the part of ep 1 that gave me the most reason for concern, it seems to have a lot of predictable soap opera potential for the storyline & I'm really not exicted about The Young & the Restless Meet the Zombies
Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #73
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Fair enough, and I'd like to think I would say the same, but what if the situation were reversed?

Obviously as the one waking up/working your way back, you really don't have much say in the matter, but I'm having trouble just trying to imagine how hard of a decision that'd be for the one who'd have to do the walking away.

Yeah, I didn't intend my response to dismiss the difficulty of the decision. I would just assume that my wife made a very difficult decision and I would do everything I could to let her know she did well.

I think it would be an insanely hard decision to make. Incredibly, incredibly difficult. Why I would tell my wife I would have done the same in her position, not 100% sure I would.

Then again, she has told me repeatedly, since this topic comes up rather frequently around me, that she doesn't want to survive a zombie apocalypse. She recently said that she might, given her foraging skills, but after the first 15 minutes of "Walking Dead" she said, "I think I've changed my mind about suriving the zombie apocalypse. You can find your own damned chicken mushrooms."
Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #74
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I didn't think pre-existing affair, but given the state of the relationship as established in the hamburger-in-the-car discussion, I'd say she was already pretty much mentally checked out of the marriage. There might have been some subtle foreshadowing of an on-going affair between her & the partner in that conversation but that wasn't my first inclination about it.

This is the part of ep 1 that gave me the most reason for concern, it seems to have a lot of predictable soap opera potential for the storyline & I'm really not exicted about The Young & the Restless Meet the Zombies

I'm with you, Jon. I didn't see it as an existing affair either, though it did seem like the opening discussion did set the stage for Shane's unhappiness in his relationship, Rick's unhappiness in his, and Shane sort of prying a bit to get more info since he thinks Lori is great. I might have been reading more into that conversation than was warranted, given I knew that Lori and Shane would be shacking up.

You have to have some human drama admist all the zombies. It can't just be all survival and headshots. Then again, it doesn't need to be terribly predictable either.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #75
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've never read the comics. Am I wrong to assume that this level of discussion about the show would exist even if the comics didn't? Seeing this level of dialogue about a show after one episode has me hoping for a strong first season's worth of this type of discussion. Good stuff.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #76
mrsimperless
College Prospect

In the comic there was no pre-existing affair prior to the zombies, but there was no ongoing hankey pankey between the two either IIRC. (The kiss in the tent was added for the TV series) In fact, at the point in the story we're at now, in the comic you have no idea anything has occurred between the two at this point. It happens as a flashback a bit later on of a one-night stand they had on their journey together to Atlanta, which she appears to obviously regret.

I hope that isn't considered spoilerish by anyone, but you never know.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Spoiler

Was impressed with the first episode. My wife liked it too, and she's not a zombie fan. I'll be curious to see how closely they stick to the book.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-04-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is this on the internet anywhere? AMC doesn't have On Demand.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 AM   #79
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I've never read the comics. Am I wrong to assume that this level of discussion about the show would exist even if the comics didn't? Seeing this level of dialogue about a show after one episode has me hoping for a strong first season's worth of this type of discussion. Good stuff.

I hope there is more discussion. There are a few American shows I try to keep up with, but there is very little analytical discussion about them here and almost none at the other forums I frequent.

My wife is a big zombie fan. We grab onto anything and everything zombie we can find. Hopefully this show sparkles and sticks around for awhile.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
[spoiler]

Thanks Kodos, 'preciate the insight.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #81
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

iTunes and Amazon
Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #82
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree with Kodos.

I enjoy the comic series quite a bit, but I don't think Kirkman is the greatest writer out there. There is a lot of melodrama in the comics, pacing issues and some akward dialogue. He does a lot of things that are great and interesting, but I really don't consider the series to be sacrosanct. It could definitely use quite a bit of polish in terms of character, dialogue and story arc. I think we've already seen that to be the case in the first episode and I think we'll see more of it.

Darabount has hinted that he takes things in different directions from the comic, which isn't a bad thing. Kirkman even admitted that a lot of things they changed were for the better.

This is one of those stories that so long as you stick true to the "core" of it, I think that's all that matters.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #83
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:

doesn't answer your question, but yi i saw it (free) on Comcast OnDemand
Old 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #84
Easy Mac

Quote:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

AMC Single-Clip Player

(yes its legal)
Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thx. I noticed that this afternoon and had a duh moment.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #86
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Pretty awesome that AMC just posts it on their site.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #87
Thomkal
Head Coach

If you missed the first episode (like I did) AMC is showing it again at 10 pm tonight as well as 2 am in the morning.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just about an hour until Episode 2
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very cool, just learned via Facebook that a good friend of mine is good friends with the parents of the kid playing the hero's son.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Awesome scene right there (at :35 or so)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #92
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Ended up watching and really enjoying this, as well as the Dead Set British mini-series I recommended earlier in the thread. The latter is definitely worth watching if they re-show it on IFC. It's like 5 shows, each around 30-40 minutes long.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #93
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Definitely a good follow up episode. I am really liking this series especially since I did not get a chance to read the graphic novel.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #94
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ended up watching and really enjoying this, as well as the Dead Set British mini-series I recommended earlier in the thread. The latter is definitely worth watching if they re-show it on IFC. It's like 5 shows, each around 30-40 minutes long.

IFC is re-airing this series in its entirety on Wednesday. They are showing them back-to-back starting around 5:00 PM EST or so. Check your local listings.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #95
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Some thoughts on last night's episode...

To address the point Jon raised in his *spolier* warning: zombies using rocks. It's an interesting debate, well, for those who debate such things. I have always been pretty firmly in the "zombies can't use tools", including rocks, camp. That said, I don't think a zombie using a rock to try and break a window is a huge break in zombie tradition. In fact, if you go back and watch Romero's "Night of The Living Dead", I believe in the very first scene where Barbara is at the cemetry, she gets in her car and the zombie who is chasing her actually picks up a rock and tries to (and perhaps does) break the car window with the rock. So, since Romero is the grand daddy of zombie movies, there is definitely an argument for zombies using rocks.

Then again, it's a slippery slope basing things on Romero, since by the craptacular "Land of the Dead" zombies were using assault rifles to put their zombie brethern out of misery. So, let's not talk about that.

As for not seeing any zombies using rocks in the first episode, I don't think we ever saw the zombies getting all riled up and trying to break through a window to get at people. So, I am not sure if it's fair to say that the show is being internally inconsistent. It's only the second episode, so I think the show is still developing its "zombie rules" if you will.

So far, it seems like "Walking Dead" zombies are almost a middle ground between the slow, lumbering zombies in the Romero films and the fast, running zombies in the "Dawn of the Dead" re-make. They are slow and lumbering until "riled" up. When riled up, they don't run and jump and get all frenetic like the "DOD" re-make zombies, but they do seem to shuffle at a greater pace and were climbing the chain linked fence and even seemed to game to try and climb the ladder.

I don't mind this "middle of the road" approach. It makes sense and makes zombies much more of a threat, particular in a group and riled up, like Morgan warned of.

Ah, Michael Rooker. The moment I saw you on the screen, I knew you'd be some crazy ass redneck, because that is something you do so well. It's so very you. Initially, I was kind of annoyed with that character. It's not surprising that some crazy-ass rednecks who can shoot would survive longer than most. That said, if they are so fucking unstable that they become a liability then what's the point of having them around? I suppose that he just flipped out up on the roof because he had just learned that they were trapped in the store and, therefore, under pressue his redneck rampage blew up. Still, Rick was right. You can't have that kind of in-fighting anymore.

It was nice to see them inject a little humor with Glen.

I really enjoyed. The hour just flies right on by.

They changed some things from the comic, but I am totally on board with it.

For those interested in the differences (THESE AREN'T SPOLIERS):

1. Glen finds Rick in Atlanta and Glen is alone. He's not with a group.

2. Other than Andrea, the blonde woman in Atlanta, none of those other characters trapped in the Departmenr store, Michael Rooker included, are in the comic.

3. The Shane/Lori relationship was a lot different. They did hook up, but only once, and it was sort of a "heat of the moment" type of thing. It wasn't this on-going, kissing and romping around all the time sort of thing.

The opening scene with Shane and Lori was well shot with the ring in the foreground and all, but seriously, why would Lori go out by herself to pick mushrooms? She didn't go out with Shane, she walked off on her own. No one goes by themselves anywhere. I know they did it to set up that scene, but still...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #96
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Another thing about the zombies and rocks. Back in the first episode, Morgan's zombie-wife came up to the door and tried to use the door handle. She was also drawn back to the house where her family was. That sort of implies that some, perhaps all, zombies have some sort of vestigal intelligence that would allow them to perform some very basic tasks.

A weird editing thing. The black gets beaten up and is on the roof. At one point, perhaps the scene where they are cutting up the zombie or before that he's downstairs. He looks battered, but is up and standing. The next time they cut back to the roof, he's just sitting there in the exact same position looking too battered to have stood. For a second, I remember thinking "were those two separate guys?" Just a small, odd thing I recall.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's only the second episode, so I think the show is still developing its "zombie rules" if you will.

I would hope (and I think this is actually what you meant here) that they already have their zomb rules, it's just that we don't know all of them yet.

I'm okay with them setting their own rules too, but it was actually the Ep 1 "mommy's home" thing that caused me to puzzle about the tool usage last night. She certainly seemed intent enough on getting inside (the persistence at the doorknob), so why not some more violent attempt to break in? I mean, if they're smart enough to use rocks at the store, then .... ?

Quote:
The opening scene with Shane and Lori was well shot with the ring in the foreground and all, but seriously, why would Lori go out by herself to pick mushrooms? She didn't go out with Shane, she walked off on her own. No one goes by themselves anywhere. I know they did it to set up that scene, but still...

My take was that she went out on her own at least somewhat intentionally with that outcome in mind, just that she didn't expect him to scare the crap out of her in the process.

Presumably I'm not the only person who wouldn't mind her stepping in front of an oncoming bullet, and taking Shane with her. F'n whore.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #98
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I would hope (and I think this is actually what you meant here) that they already have their zomb rules, it's just that we don't know all of them yet.

I'm okay with them setting their own rules too, but it was actually the Ep 1 "mommy's home" thing that caused me to puzzle about the tool usage last night. She certainly seemed intent enough on getting inside (the persistence at the doorknob), so why not some more violent attempt to break in? I mean, if they're smart enough to use rocks at the store, then .... ?

Yeah, that's what I meant. We, as an audience, haven't seen enough to know/understand all of the "zombie rules" in this world, not that the show itself hasn't figured it out. In sci-fi/fantasy settings, I have no problem with all sorts of actions and outcomes, so long as everything is internly consistent within the rules set within the world. I usually try to give a show/film/book the benefit of the doubt.

Like the mommy coming home thing. She was drawn to the house for some reason, probably some vestigal memory of that's where her family is. So, she goes back to the door whenever she passes by and tries to open it, since somewhere in her zombie mind she knows that's where she wants to be. She, and the other zombies around here, didn't seem to know that there were actually people (aka food) in there. Had she been aware of it, perhaps she would have tried much harder to get in. So, while she was persistent at using the door knob, she wasn't in the "riled up" violent stage which, apparently, leads to more frenzied and violent attempts to get into structures.

The zombies at the department store, for example, could see all that sweet, delicious noms wandering around inside there, just waiting to be eaten, so they were riled up and hungry.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #99
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

I am finding it hard to suspend disbelief while watching the show:

1. They were willing to chop up that dead zombie and have the zombie guts splatter all over them (at one point he takes his glove off to hand her the gun; some aren't wearing protective eyewear, etc) even though they know it spreads from bites. Knowing only that, would you be willing to let zombie blood potentially in your eyes? It would be like chopping up someone with AIDS circa 1984 - you just didn't know for sure if that is a huge mistake or not.

2. I also find it hard to accept their premise that the zombies are so dangerous. If they wanted, they could have killed all the zombies within a several block radius pretty easily.

3. Really the whole concept of zombie is hard to believe in enough to ignore: even a zombie with its low-energy stagger still consumes some energy over time. This energy needs to be replaced, so walkers that don't find food over at least a few weeks should die or not have enough energy to remain upright. So really all people would need to do is chill and wait for a few weeks for it all to pass.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
even a zombie with its low-energy stagger still consumes some energy over time.

Except that we don't know what the requirements of these zombies actually are. For all we know, the virus manufactures calories or whatever.

Plus, these particular zombs are unusual from the traditional in that they either sleep or go dormant at times (we've seen what appeared to be sleeping zombies at least twice already, once on the bus in Ep 1 & again a few minutes later inside the tank)