Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

BTW.....the new setup where Netflix organizes the entire series together in one spot rather than having to search out each season of a series is a great improvement. Makes it a lot easier to watch the TV series. Also lets you know how many shows you're looking at watching if you do decide to dive into a series.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #102
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
BTW.....the new setup where Netflix organizes the entire series together in one spot rather than having to search out each season of a series is a great improvement. Makes it a lot easier to watch the TV series. Also lets you know how many shows you're looking at watching if you do decide to dive into a series.

It's a double-edged sword. I have some series like Scrubs, Family Guy, and South Park that are long-running, and it's hard to sort through over 100 episodes to find the one I want, which is what I do when I watch those shows.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #103
Raiders Army
Coordinator

We watched Ip Man based on the recommendations over at slickdeals (the Blu-Ray is $14). I would heartily recommend this movie for any kung fu fan...or anyone else for that matter. My wife's chief complaint is she didn't like reading the subtitles, but I got used to it after a bit.

It is an excellent movie.

Spoiler
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #104
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
It's a double-edged sword. I have some series like Scrubs, Family Guy, and South Park that are long-running, and it's hard to sort through over 100 episodes to find the one I want, which is what I do when I watch those shows.

/tk

See, it's not hard for me, because I am cursed to watch episodes numerically, unless I've already seen it, an episode must be watched in order. It can get a little tedious.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #105
bignej
High School JV

Blue Mountain State - raunchy series about a fictional college football team. Not normally my cup of tea but 1 episode quickly turned into 8. Waiting for the kids to go to bed so I can watch more.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #106
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
See, it's not hard for me, because I am cursed to watch episodes numerically, unless I've already seen it, an episode must be watched in order. It can get a little tedious.

Yeah, I do that for a first-watch, too (like Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, which I've been watching). But for stuff that I just use to zone out/relax, like old favorite episodes of Scrubs, South Park, Futurama, or Family Guy, the new series feature is particularly annoying.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow, there's a ton of new movies out there now. Looks like they added most of the 007 library to the list.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #108
hoopsguy
General Manager

Now rotating between Dexter for my online viewing while waiting for mail shipments of The Wire. Too much good TV.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #109
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
And "Cheers" has finally made it to instant watch

Also the whole Jack Lord "Hawaii Five O" series and all of the old "Mission Impossible" episodes. Time to relive my youth.

That is awesome. Going to make the Cliff on Jeopardy episode a priority watch soon.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #110
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

And "Wings" is now being streamed.

If it weren't for sports I think I could cancel Dish and get along just fine with only netflix.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #111
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And "Wings" is now being streamed.

If it weren't for sports I think I could cancel Dish and get along just fine with only netflix.

I have the same problem and am generally late to the party (i.e. took me years to stop paying for a landline, kept my starz subscription until I realized netflix provided it as part of their streaming...) so if somebody could get me out from directv's ridiculous pricing plan I would be forever grateful. I wonder if a way exists already to watch sports as everything else could easily be watched on netflix, over the air antenna, and worst case hulu+.

I guess specifically I am talking about PTI, Fox Sports Midwest for Cardinals and Tigers, and a way to watch ESPN on my TV.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #112
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I just gave up on most sports outside of broadcast NFL games and some broadcast college games. I lost watching most of the NHL, I've never watched that much NBA and MLB, and tough for ESPN hiding all the stuff on ESPN3/360 so it could be tied to needing an ESPN subscription through cable TV.

Although the non-NFL leagues are supposed to have reasonable streaming packages available if you want them. The NFL charges an arm and a leg, does it through DirecTV, and they have restrictions (sigh).

Even sports weren't worth the $80/month it would cost me to keep them.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #113
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I have the same problem and am generally late to the party (i.e. took me years to stop paying for a landline, kept my starz subscription until I realized netflix provided it as part of their streaming...) so if somebody could get me out from directv's ridiculous pricing plan I would be forever grateful. I wonder if a way exists already to watch sports as everything else could easily be watched on netflix, over the air antenna, and worst case hulu+.

I guess specifically I am talking about PTI, Fox Sports Midwest for Cardinals and Tigers, and a way to watch ESPN on my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I just gave up on most sports outside of broadcast NFL games and some broadcast college games. I lost watching most of the NHL, I've never watched that much NBA and MLB, and tough for ESPN hiding all the stuff on ESPN3/360 so it could be tied to needing an ESPN subscription through cable TV.

Although the non-NFL leagues are supposed to have reasonable streaming packages available if you want them. The NFL charges an arm and a leg, does it through DirecTV, and they have restrictions (sigh).

Even sports weren't worth the $80/month it would cost me to keep them.

We are in a dead spot for over the air reception of local tv. I could go with the very basic cable package (still get NFL games and espn 360 is part of the package) and save $80 or so a month. That would leave me plenty to pay for MLB over the net and still come out way ahead.

My problem is even though I'm an ~8 hour drive from Chicago MLB still puts me in the blackout area for my Cubs (at least last time I checked). If I could find a way around that I would seriously look at making the change. I do enjoy my baseball IE Cubs games though and going without isn't something I want to do.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #114
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
We are in a dead spot for over the air reception of local tv. I could go with the very basic cable package (still get NFL games and espn 360 is part of the package) and save $80 or so a month. That would leave me plenty to pay for MLB over the net and still come out way ahead.

My problem is even though I'm an ~8 hour drive from Chicago MLB still puts me in the blackout area for my Cubs (at least last time I checked). If I could find a way around that I would seriously look at making the change. I do enjoy my baseball IE Cubs games though and going without isn't something I want to do.

See I'm in the "if they don't want to make it easy for me to watch, screw 'em, I've got plenty else to do" camp. I'm one of those who hasn't watched a Thursday night NFL game since they came on NFL network, and while I miss them, I don't miss paying for them. That's one less subscriber / advertising viewer they lose out on. Same for ESPN, the sports that are on it, etc. I may be just a drop in the bucket, but that bucket gets more and more full each year as people drop cable and satellite service for OTA / broadband.

If they want me to watch, they'll make it easy for me. If they'd rather cozy up to the cable companies, eh, that's their business, I'll just go play more Portal 2, or Mario Kart with the kids, or go to a movie (sigh), or other much cheaper forms of entertainment. Life's to short to pay $80/month for the privilege of watching other guys play games.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #115
tarcone
Coordinator

We got rid of directv and have local and netflix. I listen to the Cards on the radio. College football hasnt started. Im wondering where I can get my Iowa football. But beyond that we havent looked back.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #116
Butter
Coordinator

The movie FOUR LIONS. It is a hilarious movie about 4 terrorists planning a big "job" in London. It doesn't sound hilarious, but damned if it isn't. Watch it today. Three thumbs up.

Last edited by Butter : 05-20-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #117
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
We got rid of directv and have local and netflix. I listen to the Cards on the radio. College football hasnt started. Im wondering where I can get my Iowa football. But beyond that we havent looked back.

ESPN3 probably gets you a lot of the way there.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #118
DanGarion
Coordinator

Netflix on Android phone is awesome.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #119
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
ESPN3 probably gets you a lot of the way there.

Assuming you can get it. Since I don't get TV with TWC, I don't get ESPN3 over my RoadRunner connection.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #120
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Netflix on Android phone is awesome.
You got it to stream on your Android? Which phone do you have?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #121
RainMaker
General Manager

Friday Night Lights. The first 4 seasons are on Netflix Instant and the 5th and final one will be up shortly (it's out on DVD). It is an incredible show, you just have to give it half a season to really hit you. The most realistic characters I've ever come across in a television show.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #122
JPhillips
General Manager

Marwencol is a great documentary about a former alcoholic that was beaten nearly to death and now creates and photographs pseudo-WWII scenes as a sort of self therapy.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #123
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I watched Marwencol a few weeks ago. Was really interesting.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

There's Netflix streaming on iPhone as well. Just have to download the app.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #125
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

Droid X. I used a modified version of the released version (since the Droid is not officially supported at this time).
Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #126
dave731
High School JV

It looks like they just added "Eerie, Indiana", just finished watching the "Bite the hand that feeds us" episode...that show was great when I was a kid. I'm loving Wings and Cheers as well. I'd be done with regular television as well if it weren't for sports and I'm still leaning strongly towards canceling DirectTV. If I used the $80/month towards attending Clemson football and basketball games, I might still come out alright.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #127
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The movie FOUR LIONS. It is a hilarious movie about 4 terrorists planning a big "job" in London. It doesn't sound hilarious, but damned if it isn't. Watch it today. Three thumbs up.

This is really good, like Monty Python on jihad.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #128
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I watched Marwencol a few weeks ago. Was really interesting.

I concur, I watched it too. Odd to think that getting lost in fantasy allows for one to get reattached to reality.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #129
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Highlander. No, not any of the terrible sequels or any of the other bullshit that followed, but the original. If you haven't seen it, do so.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #130
wade moore
lolzcat

Highly disappointed that Veronica Mars was pulled. We were about 1/2 through season 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #131
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Highly disappointed that Veronica Mars was pulled. We were about 1/2 through season 2.

Are you sure it was pulled? It's still showing up in my Instant Queue
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #132
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

God Grew Tired of Us
It's about the Lost Boy's of Sudan coming over to America, learning our culture having never used running water or electricity and working to send money back home. Very interesting...
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post

If they pull an instant watch and you have it in the queue, you still have access to it. Always wise to add things to your queue if you're in the process of watching it. I've learned that the hard way more than once.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #134
tarcone
Coordinator

America:The Story of Us. Watched the 1st couple episodes. There are 12 in all. Pretty good documentary. Good facts. Like 10% of all Americans can trace the heritage back to the Mayflower.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #135
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post

Quote:
If they pull an instant watch and you have it in the queue, you still have access to it. Always wise to add things to your queue if you're in the process of watching it. I've learned that the hard way more than once.

This was different.

It was in my queue, went to watch it, and it said it wasn't available.

However, it appears to be back as if you search for it it is in the options to add and play.

Odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #136
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
America:The Story of Us. Watched the 1st couple episodes. There are 12 in all. Pretty good documentary. Good facts. Like 10% of all Americans can trace the heritage back to the Mayflower.
I was excited to see this but I didn't really like it. Felt they focused too much on getting celebrities into the thing than putting together good information. I'd rather see historians or figures who lived out those events than hear what Puff Daddy and George Lopez thing about it.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I was excited to see this but I didn't really like it. Felt they focused too much on getting celebrities into the thing than putting together good information. I'd rather see historians or figures who lived out those events than hear what Puff Daddy and George Lopez thing about it.

+1. All the blowhards just ruined it.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #138
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Some nice additions recently. Particularly for South Park (the first 14 seasons) and Bruce Campbell (The Evil Dead, The Man with the Screaming Brain, Alien Apocalypse) fans.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #139
DanGarion
Coordinator

My wife and I have been rewatching Eureka, highly suggest it for anyone that would like to watch a light Sci-Fi show.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #140
McLovin
Mascot

WWII in HD. Awesome documentary following personal stories with a lot of never before seen footage. Very well done.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I guess I'm now part of this thread whether I like it or not.

Gave in to wife & son and signed up for Netflix tonight.

Good news: They're both happy.
Bad news: The first movie my son joins an XBL party to watch with friends is directed by Uwe Boll (Far Cry).

I feel like such a parental failure.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, noob question time I guess.

What's the deal with the instant stuff, does it come & go frequently? Checked out the instantwatcher site mentioned a few pages back in the thread & incredibly randomly saw that the 1964 Beckett expires tomorrow, notable since I was just talking about that movie here at home two days ago. The site noted that it was available for streaming for two years, is that kind of normal? long?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #143
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

What's the deal with the instant stuff, does it come & go frequently? Checked out the instantwatcher site mentioned a few pages back in the thread & incredibly randomly saw that the 1964 Beckett expires tomorrow, notable since I was just talking about that movie here at home two days ago. The site noted that it was available for streaming for two years, is that kind of normal? long?

I have huge queues (close to 500+ dvds, 150+ instant), and most weeks there's 3-4 changes in either direction (stuff moving on and off the instant watch list). But most things seem to stay on instant watch once they get there (seems like 90 to 95% do).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #144
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Freakonomics and No Impact Man were rather good documentaries I watched. I had not seen Blazing Saddles in decades so that was fun to watch again. Mostly been watching season one of Veronica Mars.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #145
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Pulp Fiction
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anvil: The Story of Anvil is a great documentary. Tough not to root for these guys by the end of the show.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #147
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I'm showing it as available on mine and nothing about it expiring.

From what I gather, Netflix rotates movies in and out. I don't know if this is a server space issue or part of the deals they cut with the studios. Probably a mix of both.

I'd also be curious to see if movie availability is different for various regions. Netflix uses a content delivery network that is more localized so I can imagine that some of the least requested items might get rotated out of regions for more popular ones as a cost cutting measure. So maybe the servers I pull it from has it while yours doesn't right now. I had a bunch of National Geographic stuff on mine that became unavailable recently.

I'm pretty sure they use user statistics on some of the things so saving items to your instant queue is always a smart move even if it's not currently available.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-09-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

They Live
Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #149
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Anvil: The Story of Anvil is a great documentary. Tough not to root for these guys by the end of the show.

I enjoyed that one too. I wish someone had pointed out the biggest problem with the band was the sound of the lead singer.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #150
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I enjoyed that one too. I wish someone had pointed out the biggest problem with the band was the sound of the lead singer.

Yeah, it was sort of odd. He was the glue that kept the band together, but also seemed like the one who kept them from succeeding. But at the same time, you're really excited for him and the band during the final scene/concert.