General Manager

America First

https://www.newsweek.com/betsy-devos...merica-1061960
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:51 AM   #11702
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If the vessel was registered in, say, Grand Rapids, Michigan—the state where RDV is located and that has in the past made an effort to compel yacht owners to pay use taxes—the Seaquest would likely be subject to Michigan’s 6 percent use tax. That would require the DeVos empire to cough up about $2.4 million: public revenues that help finance the kind of police services that the DeVos yacht crew called when the boat was untied. With the Cayman flag fluttering on its deck, the family can avoid the levy even as it cruises the Great Lakes.

or, ya know, provide clean water for Flint citizens.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #11703
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Because avoiding taxes at all costs is the trump way to do things? Lets look at example M, Manafort.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #11704
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2 words...Space Force!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #11705
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
2 words...Space Force!

Where can I sign up?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #11706
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
2 words...Space Force!

Two different words came to mind, but I don't want to be banned Just a totally stupid waste of money for a threat that is not and may never be there,
Old 08-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #11707
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well we just can't pay for universal healthcare. Do you know how much it wou... hey look Space Force! Let's spend bucketloads of money and do that!
Old 08-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #11708
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
2 words...Space Force!

I was hoping for Mega Force.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #11709
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well we just can't pay for universal healthcare. Do you know how much it wou... hey look Space Force! Let's spend bucketloads of money and do that!

This administration will detain alien children from every corner of the galaxy.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #11710
RainMaker
General Manager

LOL

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/polit...ens/index.html
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #11711
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn't know much about this until today. Trump is an equal-opportunity offender re: economic warfare.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/10/turk...-convert-.html
Quote:
The Turkish lira added to its steep losses on Friday, hitting a fresh record low, after President Donald Trump authorized the doubling of metals tariffs on Turkey.

The lira traded down 14 percent against the U.S. dollar at 6.26 after Trump made the comment in a tweet.
I have just authorized a doubling of Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum with respect to Turkey as their currency, the Turkish Lira, slides rapidly downward against our very strong Dollar! Aluminum will now be 20% and Steel 50%. Our relations with Turkey are not good at this time!
Trump's tweet came after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan asked citizens to convert their dollars and other foreign currencies as well as gold holdings to local lira.

"Change the euros, the dollars and the gold that you are keeping beneath your pillows into lira at our banks. This is a domestic and national struggle," Erdogan said, according to an Associated Press translation.

Erdogan said Turkey was facing an "economic war" and noted the country would respond to those countries who had started it.

Turkish stocks also fell on Friday as the iShares MSCI Turkey ETF dropped 13.8 percent. The ETF was already down 42.3 percent this year prior to Friday's losses.

The sharp drop in Turkish assets came after a delegation returned from Washington with no apparent progress on the detention of U.S. pastor Andrew Brunson, who is charged with supporting a group blamed for an attempted coup in 2016.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #11712
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
2 words...Space Force!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #11713
Edward64
Head Coach

Its fascinating to me that China has built artificial islands. Without regards to the political and military issues, I think its pretty cool idea on its own. The engineering to do it must be amazing.

With regards to the political and military issues, don't see either side backing down. China has those islands now and they won't ever leave. A reoccurring hot spot for years to come.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/10/polit...ntl/index.html
Quote:
On Subi Reef, the Poseidon's sensors picked up 86 vessels, including Chinese coast guard ships, moored in a giant lagoon, while on Fiery Cross Reef rows of hangers stood alongside a lengthy runway.

"It was surprising to see airports in the middle of the ocean," said Lt. Lauren Callen, who was leading the air combat crew aboard the Navy flight.

Each time the aircraft was challenged by Chinese military, the US Navy crew's response was the same.

"I am a sovereign immune United States naval aircraft conducting lawful military activities beyond the national airspace of any coastal state," the response said.

"In exercising these rights guaranteed by international law, I am operating with due regard for the rights and duties of all states."

Maybe we can do similar. Work with Qatar, Dubai etc. (whoever is friendly enough) and build an artificial island 14 miles (or is it 28 miles) away from any coast in the Gulf area. Save us money on a carrier fleet.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-10-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #11714
Edward64
Head Coach

Even though she seems to claim otherwise about it not being about "race or ethnicity", I'm pretty sure Fox/she wouldn't be as vocal if it was all white immigrants from Europe.

I think she should just have stuck with illegal immigration and left the legal immigration part out of it. The legal part can be address with legislature (if your party is in power) and IMO we should gladly welcome and encourage the "brain drain" from other countries into the US.

White anxiety finds a home at Fox News
Quote:
"The America we know and love doesn't exist anymore," Ingraham said Wednesday night. "Massive demographic changes have been foisted on the American people, and they are changes that none of us ever voted for, and most of us don't like."

Ingraham said "this is related to both illegal and legal immigration."
:
In a part of the commentary that didn't circulate widely on social media, Ingraham said, "There is something slipping away in this country and it's not about race or ethnicity. It's what was once a common understanding by both parties that American citizenship is a privilege, and one that at a minimum requires respect for the rule of law and loyalty to our constitution."

But Ingraham's critics said her "not about race" line didn't negate her inflammatory lament about "massive demographic changes."
Old 08-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #11715
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

1 step closer to Republicans actually understanding the real reason they support their party.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #11716
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Loyalty to our constitution, yet they bow down to a president who has waged war with the media.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #11717
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Loyalty to our constitution, yet they bow down to a president who has waged war with the media.

And who has done everything he can to sidestep the Constitution.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #11718
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Even though she seems to claim otherwise about it not being about "race or ethnicity", I'm pretty sure Fox/she wouldn't be as vocal if it was all white immigrants from Europe.

I think she should just have stuck with illegal immigration and left the legal immigration part out of it. The legal part can be address with legislature (if your party is in power) and IMO we should gladly welcome and encourage the "brain drain" from other countries into the US.

White anxiety finds a home at Fox News

Ingraham has been a white nationalist for some time. Look through her Twitter before she got the full-time Fox News gig. Tucker's been on the verge of busting out the 14 words.

My issue is the bullshit denial. If that's what you believe, so be it. Don't turn into a coward when someone calls you on it. Stand up for your fucking beliefs.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #11719
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I was hoping for Mega Force.

MAGA Force?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #11720
Thomkal
Head Coach

Russia investigation: Roger Stone associate Andrew Miller held in contempt - The Washington Post
Old 08-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #11721
Thomkal
Head Coach

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...mpression=true

Trump jr shares fake approval rating on Instagram

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-10-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #11722
Thomkal
Head Coach

So the DNC was forced to serve WikiLeaks in their lawsuit against it, via Twitter because they had no other way. And judge allowed it:

DNC serves WikiLeaks with lawsuit via Twitter - CBS News
Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #11723
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Okay back to space force...

If we're at the point where we are actually fighting aliens I can't see how some space Troopers are actually going to protect us. If they have the type of engineering that they can come to our solar system they are at least four or five hundred years ahead of us in technology and can completely destroy our pitiful race.

So I guess I don't get the point. This means probably that Trump has gotten actual information that aliens exist and he's attempting to put this plan into action to save us. Which is stupid, unless there's some garbage aliens. Or space Force will just be another government military welfare program. Contractors will get paid and the taxpayers will support the unnecessary contractors and the unnecessary people in the service of that branch
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #11724
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Or, space force could fight earth enemies launching satellite based attacks?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #11725
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
MAGA Force?

Old 08-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #11726
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

We aren't close to having technology to stop satellite launched missiles and even if we were the Air Force already has a space command.

But we;ll start with some branded Trump merchandise and the grift will continue to grow from there.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #11727
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Do we really need to devote hundreds billions of dollars to this though?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #11728
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, the money that that this requires is nowhere to be found. Seriously, we're already talking about military funding stretching the annual budget, how is this going to make that any better? I know there's a ton of 'black' money off the books for the military already. We don't just overpay for hammers for nothing. It's been going on literally forever, but this is a new, on the books expense, headed up by the pentagon, and I still don't know why this wouldn't simply be under the purview of the Air Force. Doesn't really make any sense. We can do all kinds of R&D underground in Nevada, and launch all kinds of things, why go through the process of an on the books, incredibly expensive military expansion? I'm beginning to think that there's something to this whole 'perpetual war' plan.

Like Steam?

Old 08-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #11729
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't think she has a lot of credibility and even if the N-word accusation is true, it won't impact much. She claims to have other tapes, hopefully those contain something more interesting.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...n-word-n899581
Quote:
Omarosa Manigault Newman, the former "Apprentice" contestant who became a White House aide, says in her new book that President Donald Trump is a "racist" who used the N-word — and tried to silence her with money and legal threats.

In her upcoming tell-all book entitled "Unhinged," to be published next week and obtained by NBC News directly from the publisher, Newman alleges that Trump was caught on a microphone saying the N-word "multiple times" during the filming of "The Apprentice," and says there is a tape to prove her allegation.

Newman wrote that she did not hear Trump use the slur, nor has she listened to the alleged tape. She cites three sources as having told her of the existence of the tape and what Trump says on it.
:
Newman, who NBC News reported was dismissed from her White House role, wrote, "It had finally sunk in that the person I'd thought I'd known so well for so long was actually a racist. Using the N-word was not just the way he talks but, more disturbing, it was how he thought of me and African-Americans as a whole." She says she left the White House job on her own.:
:
Earlier this week, The Daily Beast reported that she also secretly recorded conversations with the president and used that as leverage to get her book deal.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #11730
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Either she knew he was a racist who used the n-word and supported him in his run for the White House, or she is lying about him using the n-word.

Either way, bye, Felicia.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-11-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:58 AM   #11731
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Yeah, the money that that this requires is nowhere to be found. Seriously, we're already talking about military funding stretching the annual budget, how is this going to make that any better? I know there's a ton of 'black' money off the books for the military already. We don't just overpay for hammers for nothing. It's been going on literally forever, but this is a new, on the books expense, headed up by the pentagon, and I still don't know why this wouldn't simply be under the purview of the Air Force. Doesn't really make any sense. We can do all kinds of R&D underground in Nevada, and launch all kinds of things, why go through the process of an on the books, incredibly expensive military expansion? I'm beginning to think that there's something to this whole 'perpetual war' plan.

The Robert A Heinlein in me wants to support this Space Force.

So far they are asking for $8B for next year and who knows for the future. The budget will obviously grow but if the public really doesn't like it, they'll have a chance to stop it in mid-terms and next Presidential election.

As for why not the Air Force? The equivalence I see are companies that keep incubation projects separate from rest of company which leaves behind the baggage, fosters creativity and new ways of thinking. I don't know if this is what Trump is thinking but its not an outrageous request to me. TBH, I could go either way here.

The bottom line to me is - other countries (e.g. China) will likely go there (if not already) and if we need the $8B for the initial planning year, I'm good with it and rather be ahead of the curve.

Re: perpetual war, I was thinking yesterday after reading about Turkey that Trump is fighting a "perpetual economic war". Trump is playing with Turkey (and China and Canada and EU and Russia) and he is engaging in constant economic warfare.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #11732
Butter
Coordinator

Naming the book UNHINGED probably doesn't help.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #11733
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The Robert A Heinlein in me wants to support this Space Force.

So far they are asking for $8B for next year and who knows for the future. The budget will obviously grow but if the public really doesn't like it, they'll have a chance to stop it in mid-terms and next Presidential election.

As for why not the Air Force? The equivalence I see are companies that keep incubation projects separate from rest of company which leaves behind the baggage, fosters creativity and new ways of thinking. I don't know if this is what Trump is thinking but its not an outrageous request to me. TBH, I could go either way here.

The bottom line to me is - other countries (e.g. China) will likely go there (if not already) and if we need the $8B for the initial planning year, I'm good with it and rather be ahead of the curve.

Re: perpetual war, I was thinking yesterday after reading about Turkey that Trump is fighting a "perpetual economic war". Trump is playing with Turkey (and China and Canada and EU and Russia) and he is engaging in constant economic warfare.

I don't have any problem with "Space Force" but Trump has divided the nation to the point that most of those who support him will support anything he does and most of those who oppose him will oppose anything he does. If Obama had been the one that came out with this idea and it had been presented to the public in the "normal" way, it would have received a lot more support from the mainstream media and the left but then the right would have complained about how it's wasteful government spending.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #11734
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I don't have any problem with "Space Force" but Trump has divided the nation to the point that most of those who support him will support anything he does and most of those who oppose him will oppose anything he does. If Obama had been the one that came out with this idea and it had been presented to the public in the "normal" way, it would have received a lot more support from the mainstream media and the left but then the right would have complained about how it's wasteful government spending.

That framing is based on a faulty assumption. No other administration, Dem or GOP, would have made a decision in this manner. We don't know why Trump started talking about a space force, maybe a donor fed him the idea or he saw something on television or it came to him in the shower, but we do know that there was no decision making process. There were no meetings, no threat assessments, no resource allocation studies. Trump just started talking about a space force at rallies.

The initial Pentagon response was, we don't know what he's talking about. Later, multiple reports say Pentagon officials mostly believe this is not needed and wasteful. Even after Pence announced the creation of Space Force there isn't a mission or parameters on responsibilities.

So you can't say if a Dem... because if a Dem had suggested this, or a different Rep, it would have a foundation of study behind it to support the creation of a sixth branch.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #11735
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That framing is based on a faulty assumption. No other administration, Dem or GOP, would have made a decision in this manner. We don't know why Trump started talking about a space force, maybe a donor fed him the idea or he saw something on television or it came to him in the shower, but we do know that there was no decision making process. There were no meetings, no threat assessments, no resource allocation studies. Trump just started talking about a space force at rallies.

The initial Pentagon response was, we don't know what he's talking about. Later, multiple reports say Pentagon officials mostly believe this is not needed and wasteful. Even after Pence announced the creation of Space Force there isn't a mission or parameters on responsibilities.

So you can't say if a Dem... because if a Dem had suggested this, or a different Rep, it would have a foundation of study behind it to support the creation of a sixth branch.

I guarantee you there have been many things over the past 20 years that was implemented based on direction from the top without detailed study supporting it. The difference is other administrations have been much better at putting the lipstick on a pig.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #11736
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I guarantee you there have been many things over the past 20 years that was implemented based on direction from the top without detailed study supporting it. The difference is other administrations have been much better at putting the lipstick on a pig.

This is the first new branch of the military in almost 230 years. There's no chance any other administration does this with minimal planning. To any other administration this would be a very serious decision involving a lot of planning along with an organized announcement. This administration sees it as an opportunity to sell hats and tshirts.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #11737
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is the first new branch of the military in almost 230 years.

Not so much. The Air Force gained autonomy from the Army in the late '40s. You can quibble by saying 'well they began life as part of an existing service branch and the Space Force would be its own command, sure.

But it still became a distinct service branch and has its own Cabinet-level official, something that isn't true for, say, the Marines.

So not quite 230 years.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #11738
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

Sure, but those tend to be decisions with much less impact, put this on the letter, hire this person, etc. This is a very big change with repercussions possible for decades. Doing that without any study is nuts.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #11739
RainMaker
General Manager

The Space Force thing is about getting defense contractors paid. And this country has a soft spot for massive spending failures when it comes to the military. So even if it ends up being a dud, no one will care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Either she knew he was a racist who used the n-word and supported him in his run for the White House, or she is lying about him using the n-word.

I'm so tired of hearing about her and that Avanetti guy.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #11740
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

We should really be able to get people into space before we start worrying about creating a space force.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #11741
bronconick
College Starter

Yeah, we're still hitching rides on Russian rockets to get men to the ISS. But in two years we'll have Space Fighters?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #11742
RainMaker
General Manager

It'll probably end up like SDI. Hopefully some good science is gained through all of it. I mean SDI was a colossal failure but there was a lot of physic research gathered from it.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #11743
SackAttack
Head Coach

Seems unlikely that any space fighter force would be more than drones-in-space at this juncture.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #11744
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nothing excites me more than blowing a bunch of shit up in low earth orbit.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is what happened in the TMNT RPG.

Like Steam?

Old 08-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #11745
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We do need space drones probably
Old 08-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #11746
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm so tired of hearing about her and that Avanetti guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
We should really be able to get people into space before we start worrying about creating a space force.

So, I have an idea...
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #11747
karkanas
n00b

He had a lot of mishaps but his predecessor was not better
https://stylufka.pl/elementarz-korea...krok-po-kroku/

Last edited by karkanas : 06-13-2019 at 01:25 PM.
karkanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #11748
jct32
Mascot

It seems like Space Force is mostly defense and operation of our satellite infrastructure. Silly name for it you ask me makes everyone think we are going to go around space MAGAing everywhere.
jct32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #11749
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
We do need space drones probably

Putting weapons in space dismantles most of the non-proliferation structure.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #11750
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Putting weapons in space dismantles most of the non-proliferation structure.

Not to mention violating a few treaties but since when has THAT stopped this Administration?