Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #4701
cuervo72
Head Coach

Probably not - the father was lauding the administration for bringing him back, where the old one hadn't.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #4702
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm sorry. Any US citizen going into NK has had fair warning for a while now. US foreign policy should not be held hostage to a bad decision to go (regardless if they are really guilty or not).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #4703
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The GOP is going to reluctantly stick with Trump. The investigation is going to be a massive distraction to him and unless there is really a smoking gun, Trump is going to be with us at least for the next 3 years.

Trump has shown he will lie, deflect, and distract. The ultimate deflection and distraction is going to be some conflict (likely with our favorite crazy kid in NK) and he knows the US will rally behind him.

It's like Team45 was sitting back saying "if only some politically and racially divisive thing could come along and create a massive distraction to get all the easy marks fired up for a while..."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #4704
kingfc22
Head Coach

"The President's tweets are official statements".....

"The President's tweets are incomplete due to Twitter's character limitations"

This f'n circus just doesn't stop.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #4705
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
"The President's tweets are official statements".....

"The President's tweets are incomplete due to Twitter's character limitations"

This f'n circus just doesn't stop.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #4706
bob
College Starter

Since this is the political catchall thread...

Supposedly the Ossoff campaign has spent over $23 million already, making this the most expensive congressional race ever. Is it really worth it for the dems to win one seat that they are going to have to run for again next year when they don't have that kind of money to spend? Presumably they don't have unlimited money, right?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #4707
JPhillips
General Manager

In the general, no, but in this primary that money isn't going to go into other races. People want to give to this race, not to a party account for future expenditures.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #4708
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Since this is the political catchall thread...

Supposedly the Ossoff campaign has spent over $23 million already, making this the most expensive congressional race ever. Is it really worth it for the dems to win one seat that they are going to have to run for again next year when they don't have that kind of money to spend? Presumably they don't have unlimited money, right?

It seems to be a case where being the only thing going has weighed heavily.

The maddening thing for most residents in the Atlanta viewing area is the insane amount of ads combined with the fact that the majority of viewers in the market can't even legally vote in the race.

There's been so much money available for advertising for this that I happen to know that at least one (if not both, I haven't verified that) campaign has been running cable spots -- which are sold by "zone", approximating countys -- in areas that have zero voters involved.

They literally have so much cash that they're having problems spending it all.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #4709
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It seems to be a case where being the only thing going has weighed heavily.

The maddening thing for most residents in the Atlanta viewing area is the insane amount of ads combined with the fact that the majority of viewers in the market can't even legally vote in the race.

There's been so much money available for advertising for this that I happen to know that at least one (if not both, I haven't verified that) campaign has been running cable spots -- which are sold by "zone", approximating countys -- in areas that have zero voters involved.

They literally have so much cash that they're having problems spending it all.
I haven't lived in the Atlanta area in over 11 years, but my social media feed has been peppered with people complaining about how bad the candidates are and how annoying the ads have been.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-19-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #4710
miked
College Starter

I am firmly in the 5th (or wherever Hank Johnson is) and I see nothing but Ossoff and a few Handel signs all over my neighborhood. The lines are drawn a little funky around me, so there could be somebody in the Oak Grove area that is in the 6th, but the district lines are silly.

I did see somebody with a funny, Get your Ossoff my lawn sign though. I can't believe anyone would believe Karen Handel is fit for any office, but I guess she has the right letter next to her name.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #4711
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I haven't lived in the Atlanta area in over 11 years, but my social media feed has been peppered with people complaining about how bad the candidates are and how annoying the ads have been.

It is, kind of ironically, the one thing that seems to be crossing party lines. This has been insanity. It's so bad that we've started using apps (for the NHL playoffs) to avoid the local ads, my wife even abandoned a show last night & switched to QVC just to get away from the onslaught.

I've always steadfastly opposed limits on campaign spending but this race (combined with an absurd spending on a state house race a couple years ago) has me re-thinking that position somewhat, on the grounds of cruel & unusual punishment for innocent voters.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #4712
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's quite bad, but even worse for folks that live in the district. I have coworkers that live in the 6th and they tell of basically wave after wave of volunteers knocking on doors.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #4713
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's quite bad, but even worse for folks that live in the district. I have coworkers that live in the 6th and they tell of basically wave after wave of volunteers knocking on doors.

Heh. I actually saw a (D) in the district mention on social media that they were going to put an NRA sticker on their front door just to try to ward off the doorknockers.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #4714
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ah, but then you'd get the Handel ones (yep, there are both parties knocking).
Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #4715
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh. I actually saw a (D) in the district mention on social media that they were going to put an NRA sticker on their front door just to try to ward off the doorknockers.

Though that does remind me - off topic - I'm sure I've made a fellow driver in Atlanta blow their minds due to my bumper magnets. I have 3 of them - a Hillary Clinton magnet, an Atlanta United magnet, and a #78 Martin Truex, Jr. magnet. I'm just curious as to which folks are more puzzled - the liberals wondering about the NASCAR magnet or the conservatives wondering about the Hillary magnet?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-19-2017 at 12:56 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #4716
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Though that does remind me - off topic - I'm sure I've made a fellow driver in Atlanta blow their minds due to my bumper magnets. I have 3 of them - a Hillary Clinton magnet, an Atlanta United magnet, and a #78 Martin Truex, Jr. magnet. I'm just curious as to which folks are more puzzled - the liberals wondering about the NASCAR magnet or the conservatives wondering about the Hillary magnet?

The latter.

The former has no clue who Martin Truex, Jr is
Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #4717
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The latter.

The former has no clue who Martin Truex, Jr is

But they see a number and usually put 2 and 2 together. A friend of ours came by and saw my car and asked my gf "So Imran is a NASCAR fan now?" I'm positive he has no clue about any driver in NASCAR (well perhaps with the exception of Junior... but everyone has heard of him).
Old 06-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #4718
lungs
Pro Rookie

Can I come out of the closet as a liberal NASCAR fan? I started gambling on it a few years ago and next thing you know, I'm kind of enjoying it. But I'm a farmer and live in the country so I was a bit predisposed......
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #4719
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Can I come out of the closet as a liberal NASCAR fan? I started gambling on it a few years ago and next thing you know, I'm kind of enjoying it. But I'm a farmer and live in the country so I was a bit predisposed......

I hear there are a few of us around, but not all that many apparently . The guy who introduced the sport to me (and indicated that Truex would be a fine driver for me to follow due to our shared New Jersey roots) is a left-of-center person as well. Though he is from the suburbs of Atlanta.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 PM   #4720
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I hear there are a few of us around, but not all that many apparently . The guy who introduced the sport to me (and indicated that Truex would be a fine driver for me to follow due to our shared New Jersey roots) is a left-of-center person as well. Though he is from the suburbs of Atlanta.

I'm in a NASCAR pool at a local bowling alley. Given some of the racial attitudes among a few members, I'd love to see Daniel Suarez and Bubba Wallace do well
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #4721
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'm in a NASCAR pool at a local bowling alley. Given some of the racial attitudes among a few members, I'd love to see Daniel Suarez and Bubba Wallace do well

You and me both, brother! Kyle Larson being half-Japanese is kind of fun as well.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #4722
bob
College Starter

I could probably wall paper a room or two with the number of flyers I have received in the mail for the election in the past month. Ready for it to be over.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #4723
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Was watching Charlie Rose early this morning and he had a former Intelligence director on there. He was talking about the middle east and the biggest threat right now that isn't really being talked about, and that's what happens as Syria gets tighter and tighter.

He mentioned that the US took out some Syrian fighters recently because they got too close to a training area for US fighters and allies. That Russia recently attacked US allies that got too close to their staging areas. This is going to continue to escalate and there's really no plan for what the next phase is.

It really has the seeds for something much bigger when its US and allies v. Russia/Syria assuming that the big battle Raqqa ends without any sort of plan, what's the next step, because this is how real wars start.

This incident with the Syrian fighter jet is yet another example. The Russians are pulling back and throwing out warnings. It's not big news right now, but it's the bedrock for something else than we've see before in this conflict. It's a path to a bad place.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 06-19-2017 at 05:38 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #4724
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I wonder if that kid coming home from N.Korea in a coma with what it looks like permanent brain damage will be the final thing that sparks a war.

He has now died.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #4725
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like Trump has gone to DEFCON2 with the media. Spicer held the daily press briefing with no audio/video allowed.

CNN's Jim Acosta unloads on White House over off-camera briefings - Jun. 19, 2017
Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #4726
JediKooter
Coordinator

Aaaaand Spicy's gone.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #4727
PilotMan
Head Coach

Guess that makes Huckabee-Sanders next man up?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #4728
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Guess that makes Huckabee-Sanders next man up?

She is probably the lucky winner indeed.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #4729
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like Trump has gone to DEFCON2 with the media. Spicer held the daily press briefing with no audio/video allowed.

CNN's Jim Acosta unloads on White House over off-camera briefings - Jun. 19, 2017

Good for him, man. This isn't North Korea.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #4730
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

And the media is going right along with it. There's no law saying that they have to attend these no recording briefings. But they will. They will piss and moan about it. But they won't actually do something that could change it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #4731
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Not feeling good about Ossoff's chances tonight. The PredictIt money has shifted against him the past few days and now has him at only .47

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #4732
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm very confident in a Handel victory as tribalism matters most of all in American politics. A district that's traditionally so Republican is very unlikely to elect a Dem.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #4733
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm very confident in a Handel victory as tribalism matters most of all in American politics. A district that's traditionally so Republican is very unlikely to elect a Dem.

Eh, that's a very lukewarm district at this point. I'd be surprised if Asshat managed to screw it up honestly, Handel isn't exactly what you'd call an inspiring candidate.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #4734
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Eh, that's a very lukewarm district at this point. I'd be surprised if Asshat managed to screw it up honestly, Handel isn't exactly what you'd call an inspiring candidate.

It's still a very Republican district. Trump is just a bad fit for it. Price won re-election by 23 points while Trump only won it by 1 pt.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #4735
digamma
Torchbearer

To state the obvious, it all comes down to who can turn out their supporters. Ossoff's base is definitely more motivated, but I don't think he wins on his base. I'll be interested to see what the fall off in voters is from the special election. I didn't look it up, but isn't it usually 40% or so?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #4736
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

It has been overwhelmingly GOP since Carter in House and Presidential elections with the notable exception of Trump/Clinton. Maybe that matters more than partisan history, but I doubt it.

edit: You have a lot of people that consider themselves life-long Republicans that will have to vote for a Dem for an Ossoff victory. That could happen, but it's unlikely.

Last edited by JPhillips : 06-20-2017 at 11:38 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #4737
JPhillips
General Manager

The Senate process on the healthcare bill is going to cause immense damage to our system. Once norms are broken they are very difficult to restore. Secret legislation with very short voting windows is going to become the new norm for both parties.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #4738
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
To state the obvious, it all comes down to who can turn out their supporters. Ossoff's base is definitely more motivated, but I don't think he wins on his base. I'll be interested to see what the fall off in voters is from the special election. I didn't look it up, but isn't it usually 40% or so?

Bad news for the Dems today. It's been raining all day. It's not pouring at least.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #4739
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
edit: You have a lot of people that consider themselves life-long Republicans that will have to vote for a Dem for an Ossoff victory. That could happen, but it's unlikely.

It's a very lightweight fluffy set of Republicans though. These are not, generally, Reagan Repubs. More Goldwatery. For them to make the jump isn't really much of a switch.

(Hell, as lousy a candidate as Handel is, she wouldn't have been a leap for probably 1/3rd of Ds either)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #4740
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Bad news for the Dems today. It's been raining all day. It's not pouring at least.

District under a flash-flood warning until right after the polls close-mostly affecting Democratic parts of the district-how did the R's arrange that with God?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #4741
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

There probably will be an increase in voters for the runoff. 140k have already voted early. Total voters last round was 193k.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #4742
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
District under a flash-flood warning until right after the polls close-mostly affecting Democratic parts of the district-how did the R's arrange that with God?

And now it's pouring in downtown Atlanta... has been for a few hours.

I think this gives it to Handel.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #4743
Easy Mac

If that's you're excuse for not voting, then you deserve what you're stuck with.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #4744
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to the reality of GOTV?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #4745
Jas_lov
College Starter

Wouldn't the bad weather be more likely to hurt Handel? Her base is older and not as motivated. And I thought Ossoff banked a lead in the early vote.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #4746
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Wouldn't the bad weather be more likely to hurt Handel? Her base is older and not as motivated. And I thought Ossoff banked a lead in the early vote.

The bad weather is worst in the Democratic areas of the district. Although some Republicans have tweeted concern that 400 north will be jammed for those GOPers coming home from work to get to their polling place.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #4747
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well usual thinking is that less turnout benefits the Republicans while more turnout benefits the Democrats - because the general Republican base (old, rich, etc) is more willing to vote regardless
Old 06-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #4748
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The impact of the weather may be overstated here. This is a district that does not rely as heavily as most for black voters to supply the core (D) votes. Black voters & lower income voters (which often have significant overlay) are the demographic groups that seem to generally be most impacted in turnout by rain/snow.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #4749
Thomkal
Head Coach

So South Carolina has become an interesting contest all of a sudden-Democrat was ahead until just recently-now falling behind quickly. Georgia still too close to call at this point with Handel very slightly ahead.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #4750
larrymcg421
Head Coach

PredictIt has Handel at .89 cents right now.