Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

March 10, 2011 -

Today I get the start against the Twins in spring training. They are 4-9 in spring training. We are 3-11.

After I struck out the 1st batter, Buscher hits a 1-1 hanging changeup to deep right center for a homer.

In the 3rd, Gomez gets a single, steals 2nd, and is knocked in by Buscher with a linedrive to left field. 2-0. Sheesh. Nothing is going right for me this spring. Moreaneu hits a 3-2 inside fastball down the right field line for a 348 foot 2 run homer. Down 4-0.

After 4 innings, I'm done for the day.

We lose the game 4-1.

4 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 3 K, 1 BB.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #52
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

March 15, 2011 -

A start against the Yankees today. Let's hope I can actually keep the ball in the park. They have signed Willie Taveras to lead off. I promptly hit him (accidently) to start the 1st. Taveras steals 2nd. Jeter lines a 2-2 inside fastball to left field for an RBI single. Sheesh, the Yankees have Vlad now too. He is batting 3rd and playing RF for them. I get him to ground to 2nd, but he beats out the double play. A-Rod with a deep drive to left center for a double. Men on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out now.

A LEAPING catch against the wall by Kearns to catch a deep fly to right by Posada that ends the inning. GREAT play by Kearns.

Furthermore, my teammates get me a run in the top of the 2nd. Feeling good as I step up to face the bottom of the Yankees lineup. First, Johnny Damon.

With 1 out, Matsui lines it to cente for a single. Then, Cano moves him to 3rd with a run and hit. He blisters the ball down the left field line but great play by my guy to cut it off and make it only a RBI single.

I have to get Jeter here. 1 out, men on 1st and 2nd. 1st pitch fastball is higher than I wanted and he hits it hard to deep center by McLouth catches it. Now, facing Vlad with 2 outs and men on 1st and 3rd. He gopher balls a very low 1st pitch fastball into center for an RBI single.

Now, I have to get A-Rod. They have an insane lineup. BS!!! A 3-2 fastball was just over the outside corner but I don't get the call. Bases loaded for Mark. I get him to ground to 1st to finally get out of the inning.

I'm still feeling rattled, so it was great that McLouth made a diving catch of the 1st pitch drive to right center by Posada.

The 3rd inning was going well until I gave up a single to Matsui with 2 outs and then Cano hit a ball to right center for an RBI double. An error by Wilson allows another run to score on a Tavares hit through the shortstop's legs. Down 5-1 at the end of 3 and my confidence is very shaky right now.

Vlad starts off the 4th with a liner to shallow center for a single. Struck out A-Rod swinging with a 96 MPH inside fastball! I finally get through an inning without allowing a run.

A scoreless 5th as well as I got the double play ball after hitting Matsui with a pitch. I drop to 0-4 as we lose 11-1.

5 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 K, 1 BB.

My ERA for the spring is now 7.20
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #53
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

More pls...keep it up...
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #54
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg22 View Post
More pls...keep it up...

I probably won't get to play again until Thursday night, but I'm hoping I might get to sneak in a game or two before then. This game has me more addicted than any console sports game since College Hoops 2k8 (which I still plan on playing some this weekend.) As I posted in the Show thread, going back to when Earl Weaver was out or Tony LaRussa, my favorite part of any "action" baseball game was just pitching. I wanted hitters to bat according to their ratings and ditto for fielders. This mode is the perfect mode for me and I'll be writing a lot more in this dynasty

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-18-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #55
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I probably won't get to play again until Thursday night, but I'm hoping I might get to sneak in a game or two before then. This game has me more addicted than any console sports game since College Hoops 2k8 (which I still plan on playing some this weekend.) As I posted in the Show thread, going back to when Earl Weaver was out or Tony LaRussa, my favorite part of any "action" baseball game was just pitching. I wanted hitters to bat according to their ratings and ditto for fielders. This mode is the perfect mode for me and I'll be writing a lot more in this dynasty

Good. Also, if not too much work can we get Bi-monthly updates on your stats? or somthing to base your progress on? Thanks!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good. Also, if not too much work can we get Bi-monthly updates on your stats? or somthing to base your progress on? Thanks!

Sure. You're talking about my performance stats and not my ratings, right?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #57
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

yes performance....and I also like the random speeds thrown in. That lets me know how well your doing...
Old 05-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #58
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

March 21, 2011 -

I have to pitch better today against TB as I'll only get 1 or possibly 2 more starts after this and there is serious talk of sending me down due to my poor spring performance. Without a doubt, Evan Longoria is the player I have to be most careful of today.

Start off with Max Stafford squeezing me on 2 calls that result in a 5 pitch walk to start the game. A grounder by Xavier Nady past Wilson has me in trouble as Longoria steps to the plate. Thankfully, he helps me out by swinging at a high inside fastball that he pops to shallow center where McLouth makes the play and holds the runners. A groundball to third is barely beat out to prevent an inning ending double play. A groundball to short by Durham gets me out of the inning without any runs scoring.

99 MPH fastball just off the plate inside gets Kapler swinging to start the 2nd. That starts a 1-2-3 inning.

SOB. Got 2 strikes on Brett Myers before a fastball just got away from me and nailed him in the leg. Upton with a hard groundball that gets past Wilson to get men on 1st and 2nd. I got Nady to hit into a 6-4-3 double play. 2 outs with a man on 3rd so I'm going to be very careful with Longoria. I walked him on a high 3-2 fastball.

NO! Pena with a 3 run homer on a 1-2 fastball that just drifted over the plate. He hit it 356 feet barely over the left field wall.

The 3rd isn't much better after a leadoff single, steals 2nd, moves to 3rd on a passed ball, and then is driven in with a deep fly to left. Down 4-0. My confidence is completely shaken as I face Myers with 2 outs in the 4th but I struck him out on 3 straight pitches.

Upton starts off the 5th with a hard swing at my first pitch, a curve that hung a bit and he pulls it down the left field line for a 362 foot homer. Down 5-0 and I can't help but think I'm going to get stuck in AAA to start the year. The rest of the inning went well including striking Pena out on 3 straight fastballs.

That is it for me as Russell pinch hits for me in the bottom of the 5th. We lose the game 11-6.

5 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 3 K, 2 BB.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-19-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

March 22, 2011 -

My stats for the spring are horrible: 0-5, 7.65 ERA, 34 H, 12 K, 4 BB, 20 IP. My ERA is the worst on the staff this spring and I can't help but dread getting the call that I'm going to AAA for some more seasoning.

March 27, 2011 -

I've got to try to turn it around today and it's not my lucky day as I'll be facing most of the Yankee starters and C.C. Sabathia.

After a scoreless 1st, Posada with an RBI double to start the 2nd inning. 2 deep flies move him to 3rd and then home. I find myself feeling shaky at this point but I get the last out.

Struck out Taveras to start the 3rd. I'm relying on my fastball much more today. Jeter takes a 0-1 fastball on the outside corner to right field and Kearns dives and misses allowing Jeter to get a 1 out triple with Vlad coming up to bat. SOB. A very high fastball is just jackhammered by Vlad to deep centerfield for a 431 foot 2 run homer. Back to back homers as A-Rod turns on an inside curve and takes it deep over the left field wall.

The 4th has a bad start as well as Cano hits a 0-0 slider to deep right for a homer. Down 6-0. I get the next 2 batters and then Kearns just kills me with another dive and miss for a triple by Jeter. Russell has seen enough, he yanks me early.

3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, 2 K, 0 BB. We lose the game 13-2.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #60
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

March 29, 2011 -

After my short appearance the other day, I'm being asked to pitch the 6th against the Reds. We are down 2-0 as I enter the game. Should have been a 1-2-3 6th, but Sanchez boots a routine ball to 2nd. Still, I get the next batter for a scoreless 6th.

I start off the 6th with a single to left off Bronson Arroyo. I score in a 4 run inning! Odd. After getting the 4-2 lead, Russell pulls me. I get my 1st win of the spring from that 1 winning of work.

1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 K, 0 BB.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #61
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 2, 2011 -

Russell pulled me early last game because he wants me to pitch this final game of Spring ball against Minnesota.

Although Morneau got a 2 out single, I pitched a scoreless 1st inning.

Struck out Alex Casilla with an inside changeup that was called a strike. Coach told me that I was overthrowing my pitches this spring, and I needed to ease up a bit and I really see what he meant today. 1-2-3 2nd.

Struck out Michel Hernandez, their catcher, to start the 3rd inning with a 1-2 curve that was a bit low but he swung over. Struck out Gomez on a 99 MPH fastball that he swung and missed despite it being very low. Now, that I'm throwing some fastballs with a little less umph, it really surprised him to see that one come in so quickly. Coach is praising me between innings for taking his advice. I've got much more control of the fastball and haven't let any go too far from where I've wanted.

OH NO! I overthrew a 1-2 fastball to Cuddyer trying to blow him away and it got away from me and hit him in the head at 98 MPH. He's down and out. Young with a double to get guys to 2nd and 3rd. Casilla with a 2 run single on a 2-2 fastball. Got the next batter to get out of the inning.

In the bottom of the 4th, we've gotten 2 runs to tie it and I'm up with 2 outs and men on 1st and 2nd.. but I grounded out to short.

A 1-2-3 5th after Morgan has a spectacular diving catch in left field in foul territory.

Russell decides that is enough for me today in this final tuneup. We win the game 6-2 and I get my 2nd win of the spring.

5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 K, 0 BB.

I review my final spring stats as I wait for Russell to meet with me after the game to let me know where I'm starting the year:

2-6, 7.58 ERA, 29.2 IP in 8 Games (7 starts, 1 relief appearance), 17 K, 4 BB. 46 H, 27 R, 25 ER, 9 HR, 1.69 WHIP, .338 avg vs RH and .362 avg vs LH.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #62
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 2, 2011 -

Even though everyone is healthy, Russell tells me that I'll be the 4th starter in the rotation! My first start is projected to be April 8, 2011 against the Reds. Here is our rotation now: Ian Snell, Paul Maholm, Wilfredo Ledezma, me, and Phil Dumatrait (who I replaced when he was injured.)

Our projected starting day lineup:

LF Nyjer Morgan
SS Jack Wilson
2B Freddy Sanchez
C Ryan Doumit
CF Nate McLouth
1B Andy Phillips
RF Austin Kearns
3B Andy LaRoche

Time to get to work on preparing for the Reds.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #63
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 8, 2011 -

We are 1-2 as I take the mound for the first time in the 2011 season. I'm facing the Reds on the road. They have Johnny Cueto on the mound.

1st up is Brandon Phillips. Struck him out swinging with a low 98 MPH fastball. Next up is Jerry Hairston, JR. Got him to ground to 2nd on a 2-1 fastball that was inside a bit. 3rd up is Joey Votto who homered against me last year. A 1-0 fastball is a bit too high in the zone and he pulls it to rightfield for a home run. Next up is Jay Bruce. He grounds to LaRoche for the out.

To start the 2nd, I'm facing Charlton Jimerson, their center fielder. He hits a curve weakly back at me for the out. Next up is 3B, Brian Ma. He hits a 0-2 fastball weakly to 2nd for the out. Jonny Gomes is up next. He grounds the 1st pitch to LaRoche.

In the top of the 3rd, I come to bat with a man on 1st and 0 outs. I sacrifice bunt him to 2nd but we fail to score in the inning.

Clint Sammons with a line drive to left field for his 1st hit of the year. He is sac bunted to 2nd. Phillips with a line drive to center for an RBI single.

NO! Hairston with a 2 run homer to right center on the 1st pitch, a high fastball. 4 R, 4 H through 3 innings and I'm starting to feel very panicky.

I feel a bit better after my teammates pick up 2 runs in the top of the 4th on 2 run homer by Doumit.

Gomes with a 1 out RBI double in the bottom of the 4th. He took a 1-2 slider to deep left field and off the wall. Phillips with a 2 out RBI single as he flared a very low fastball to left field for a shallow hit. The inning continues as Hairston hits a 2-2 fastball to left field for another RBI single. Down 7-2. What has happened? I finally get Votto to line out to deep left to get out of the inning.

As I come to the plate in the 5th, Russell puts in a pinch hitter. We lose the game 9-6. I didn't come close to getting the job done today.

4 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 1 K, 0 BB. I need to further develop my changeup and slider so I can use them more effectively to mix in with my fastball.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #64
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 14, 2011 -

We are 2-6. Hopefully, I can turn it around after that last horrid start. Today, I'm at home and I love the energy of this park. We are facing the Brewers today. They are 6-4.

Their lineup:

RF Corey Hart
2B David Eckstein
LF Ryan Brayn
1B Prince Fielder
SS J.J. Hardy
CF Mike Cameron
3B Bill Hall
C Angel Salome
P Yovani Gallardo

Struck out the 1st batter looking on a 1-2 low outside fastball. Generous call Eckstein with a triple off a hanging slider. Braun flies to shallow right for an out but Kearns' throw is offline allowing Eckstein to score. 1-0. Struck Prince out swinging on a high 2-2 fastball.

Struck out their pitcher on 3 pitches to start the 3rd. 1-2-3 3rd.

Struck out Braun with a 2-2 changeup to start the 4th. 1-2-3 4th.

My teammates get 4 runs in the bottom of the 4th and I'm up with a man on 1st and 2 outs. He struck me out on 3 pitches. Still, I'm feeling great with a 4-1 lead.

I walk Cameron on 4 straight pitches as I just couldn't get my fastball to go anywhere that I wanted it. He advances on a passed ball, but I get the next 2 guys to pop up and then the pitcher hits a weak fly to right.

I worry a bit as Hart starts the 6th with a single up the middle. Struck Eckstein out with a 97 MPH fastball at the knees. Braun with a single to right and Kearns throws out Hart trying to take 3rd. Prince grounds a changeup to short to end the inning. 6 strong innings has me feeling great.

A strong 7th inning in which I allowed a 2 out single but quickly finished the inning on the next pitch.

In the 8th, my arm is burning and a fastball gets away from me and hits Hart with 1 out. Fortunately, I get Eckstein to hit into a 6-4-3 double play with a low changup.

Russell knows that is it for me and I leave hoping that Capps can get his 3rd save which he does. I get my 1st win with a real gem and I am named the Player of the Game.

8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 5 K, 3 BB.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #65
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Nice...finally a good start
Old 05-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #66
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 20, 2011 -

Today, I'm starting at home against the Cardinals. First up is Orlando Hudson. Struck him out on 3 straight fastballs. Next up is Skip Schumaker. He grounded to 1st. Batting 3rd is Rick Ankiel. He is hitting .356 with 4 homers. Got him to ground a 2-2 fastball to 2nd base for the out.

Joe Crede batting 4th today as Pujols is out with a minor injury. He hits a double to deep right field off a 3-2 fastball. Yadier Molina up next. He lines the first pitch to shallow center to drive in the run. Joe Mather playing at 1st today and batting 6th for them. Conor Gillaspie, my 3B, lets an easy grounder get by him for a single. Adam Kennedy up with men on 1st and 2nd. Time to work for the strikeout. A 3-2 fastball misses just outside and he gets the walk to load the bases.

Brian Barton is up next. He pops up a 0-2 fastball to 1st. I get the pitcher to fly out to left but that drives in a run. Hudson lines to right to drive in another run. Terrible start and I'm really feeling the pressure now. I finally struck out Schumaker to end the inning. Rough 2nd inning.

My teammates get 2 runs on the board in the bottom of the 2nd.

Kennedy draws another 3-2 walk to start the 4th. Shit. Barton hits a perfect groundball to Sanchez that should have been a double play but he lets it get through his legs. Men on 1st and 3rd with no outs. Struck out the pitcher on a 1-2 fastball. Hudson with a line drive to right field that is a sac fly. I get a groundball back at me to get out of the inning.

Down 4-3 as I take the mound in the 5th. Ankiel starts off the inning by hitting a 0-1 fastball to deep center, McLouth misplays it and it hits off the top of the wall for a triple. Crede with a ground ball up the middle to score the run. I give up a weak single to 3rd that is misplayed and men are on 1st and 2nd. That's it. Russell has seen enough of me.

4 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 3 K, 2 BB. A terrible start. We lose the game 11-5.

After the game, we get the news that Russell is fired! Ozzie Guillen has been hired to be our new manager!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #67
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 21, 2011 -

Ozzie Guillen calls me into his office and tells me that I'm pitching like crap. He yelled a ton and ton and told me that he's benching me for my next start and if I don't get things straightened out soon I'll be sent down to AAA.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #68
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 25, 2011 -

Odd. Apparently, he's changed his mind and I'm starting against the Padres today in San Diego. We are both 7-11 and we are on a 3 game winning streak. Their lineup:

LF Angel Pagan
CF Jody Gerut
1B Adrian Gonzalez
RF Scott Hairston
3B Kevin Kouzmanoff
2B Eddy Cramm
C Edwin Bellorin
SS Chris Burke
P Kevin Correia

With 2 outs and a man on 3rd, I struck out Hairston with an inside fastball to end the 1st.

In the top of the 2nd, I'm up to the plate with men on 1st and 3rd and 1 run having already scored. 1 out. YES! I lace an outside pitch to shallow right for an RBI single.

Up 2-0 as I take the mound in the 2nd.

3-0 lead as I take the mound in the 3rd. NOOO! I feel sharp pain in my shoulder as I throw a 1-1 fastball to the first batter in the 3rd.

We win the game 4-0, but I only pitched 2 innings so no decision for me.

2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 K, 0 BB.

Now, I have to fret all night waiting for the MRI results tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #69
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 26, 2011 -

I'm told by the team doctor that there is no structural damage and I'm cleared to pitch in my next start if I can manage the pain. I know that I'll manage the pain.

April 30, 2011 -

Today I'm starting at home against the Phillies. We are now 10-13 as we've had a resurgence under Ozzie. The Phillies are 13-10 and have a potent lineup still:

SS Jimmy Rollins
CF Shane Victorino
1B Ryan Howard
2B Chase Utley
LF Ibanez
RF Jai Miller
3B Pedro Feliz
C Ronny Paulino
P Contreras

1-2-3 1st including Howard grounding to 1st. He is hitting over .400 so far this year with 6 homers so that felt good.

After Utley got a single to start the 2nd, I struck out Ibanez with a 1-2 low inside fastball.

In the 2nd, they get men on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs, so I pitch carefully to the #8 hitter before walking him. I get Contreras to ground weakly to 2nd with a low 0-2 fastball.

Rollins leads off the 3rd with a grounder past Phillips at 1st and then Victorino with a line drive past LaRoche at 3rd. Men on 1st and 2nd with no outs and Howard up..

With the huge shift, Howard hits into a 4-5-3 double play. I walk Utley on 4 straight pitches. Ibanez grounds a changeup right to 1st for the out to get out of the inning.

I give up 2 singles to start the 4th, but get Paulino to hit into a double play and then Contreras hits a weak grounder to short.

In the bottom of the 4th, my team finally gets 2 runs on the board thanks to a 2 run homer by Sanchez.

Struck Rollins out swinging on a VERY high fastball to start the 5th. On 1-2 count, I try to get Victorino on a low slider but it hangs and he hammers it to right center for a homerun. Up 2-1.

Howard hits it hard towards 2nd and the deep shift gets the ball, but a very bad throw results in Howard getting to 2nd. A 0-2 high fastball pops up Utley to 3rd. SOB. A 0-1 changeup just hangs too high on me and Ibanez homers over the right field wall. Down 3-2. Struck out Miller with a 2-2 fastball to end the inning.

A 1-2-3 6th against the bottom of their order. The heart of our lineup is up. I sit in the dugout hoping they can score in the bottom of the 6th as I know I don't have much more time in the game. We get a run in the bottom of the 6th and Guillen decides to turn it over to the pen.

We lose the game 5-3 as they have a 2 run 8th.

6 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 3 K, 2 BB.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #70
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

May 1, 2011 -

A rough start to the season. Guillen doesn't seem to like me and I wouldn't be shocked if I got sent down by him. I need to pitch much better to avoid that. My stats so far this year: 5 GP, 1-2, 5.63 ERA, 2 QS, 24 IP, 29 H, 18 R, 15 ER, 4 HR, 7 BB, 13 K, 1.50 WHIP, avg vs RG .357, avg vs LH .250.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #71
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

May 5, 2011 -

There is a buzz going around the team. We've promoted our young star C/1B Kenneth Blake and while his fielding at 1B is spotty, his hitting is impressive so far. I'm starting in Chicago today against the Cubs. Aramis Ramirez remains their most dangerous hitter. The aforementioned Blake is directly responsible for both of the runs our team scored in the top of the 1st.

I take the mound with a 2-0 lead.

Terrible start as Miles starts with a single up the middle and then a 2-2 fastball gets away from me and hits Ryan Sweeney in the back. 0 outs as I face Ramirez who is hitting .226 with 5 homers so far this year.

He flies to deep center and then McLouth throws out Miles at 3rd!! Struck out Soto with a 0-2 changeup to end the inning.

Struck out Lee with a 1-2 outside slider to start the 2nd. 1-2-3 2nd. 1-2-3 3rd as well. 1-2-3 4th. Everyone is hitting weak grounders and popups in the infield. A smooth 5th as well. Still up 2-0.

My teammates get 2 more runs (again Blake scores) to start the 6th.

Charlie Sawyer screws me on 2 different calls that lead to a walk and a single and then Aramis Ramirez hits a single up the middle with 2 outs to drive in their first run of the game. Soto with a single to shallow center drives in another run but McLouth with another great throw guns down Ramirez who was trying to go to 3rd to end the inning. Up 4-2.

Lee with a single to right to start off th 7th. McLouth with 2 very good plays in center to get 2 outs. I get Cora to ground weakly back to me to end the 7th.

McLouth scores in the top of the 8th to make it a 5-2 lead as I take the mound in the bottom of the 8th. My arm is almost dead, but I get a 6-4-3 double play to end the 8th.

We win the game 5-3.

Capps gets his 8th save and I get my 2nd win of the year.

8 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 K, 1 BB.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #72
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

May 11, 2011 -

We continue to play much better under Ozzie. We are now 15-18. Today, I'm starting at home vs the Rockies who are 15-19. Their lineup:

CF Scodd Podsednik
RF Brad Hawpe
3B Garrett Atkins
C Chis Iannetta
1B Todd Helton
SS Troy Tulowitzki
2B Frank Catalanotto
LF Carlos Gonzalez
P Jason Marquis

I'm disappointed that Blake isn't starting for us today. Instead, we have the following lineup:

CF McLouth
SS Wilson
2B Sanchez
C Doumit
3B Conor Gillaspie
RF Kearns
1B LaRoche
LF Brandon Moss
P Me

1-2-3 1st in which I struck out Hawpe.

McLouth set the table early and we got a 3 run 1st that featured a 2 run homer by Doumit.

Struck out Helton in the 2nd on a 99 MPH fastball. 1-2-3 3rd. 1-2-3 4th. Despite allowing 1 hit earlier in the 2nd, I've faced the minimum 12 so far.

Helton with a 1 out double in the 5th. He took it just past LaRoche down the right field line. I get the next two batters to fly to 1st and the catcher.

Back to back singles to start the 6th with the top of the order coming up. Podsednik with a RBI single to right. My arm still feels good, but I'm getting hit hard right now. I need to dig back and get some strikeouts.

Wow. I put something extra on it and got Hawpe to strike out with a 99 MPH fastball low and inside. Atkins hit a fast chopper right at me, I turned and threw to 2nd starting the double play to get out of the inning.

Up 3-1 as I take the mound in the 7th. Ianneta hits a 1-1 fastball to deep left for a solo homerun. Helton with a line down the right field line and my night is done. I just hope my pen doesn't blow it for me..

Burnett comes in and gets out of the 7th, but Lopez gives up 2 runs in the 8th to cost us the game. 4-3 loss.

6 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 3 K, 0 BB.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #73
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Are you mainly relying on your fastball or are the changeup and curve being mixed in a bit?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #74
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

May 17, 2011 -

Austin Kearns is among the top 3 in homeruns in the NL so far this year. McLouth is tied for 4th and we continue to show signs of improvement. We are now 18-20 as I take the mound today against the Brewers in Milwaukee. I'm glad to see Blake starting at 1B today.

Struck out Mike Cameron to start the game using a 2-2 changeup.

Ryan Braun is leading the NL in homers at 13. With a 0-1 inside fastball, I get him to hit a weak liner at Blake who makes the play at 1st.

Struck out Hardy with a 98 MPH outside fastball in the 2nd. Struck out Francisco with a fastball down below his knees to end the inning.

Struck out Bill Hall with an outside 2-2 changeup in the 3rd inning. Struck out their pitcher with a 2-2 slider to end the 3rd. 3 perfect innings so far and I'm feeling excited.

Darn. A 2-1 fastball just gets away from me and hits Cameron in the leg. The next hitter hits into 3-6-1 double play. Braun flies to left and I still have the no hitter going with the minimum number of batters.

I come to bat in the top of the 5th with men on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs. We are now up 1-0. He strikes me out with a slider. At least, we got the run.

Struck out Prince looking with a 97 MPH fastball at the knees that just catches the inside part of the plate to start the 5th. 1-2-3 5th.

1-2-3 6th all on groundballs.

Struck out Cameron with a 0-2 fastball to start the 7th. I let out a deep breath as Morgan catches a fly to left field at the wall. Another deep breath as Braun hits it all the way to the right field wall but Kearns has room and gets it.

Still a 1-0 game as I take the mound in the 8th. A fastball gets away from me and drills Prince Fielder in the back to start the inning. Hardy pops up a 0-2 curve to 1st for an out. They bring in a pinch runner and then Ben Francisco grounds the ball into the gap at 2nd on a hit and run. Ozzie pulls me after that. I cringe when Ozzie calls for Denny Bautista to enter the game. He has cost me too many games..

Ozzie actually gave me a very friendly pat on the back as I come out of the game. Denny gets out of the inning. Capps gets the save and I get the victory as we win 1-0! I'm named player of the game.

7.1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 7 K, 0 BB. My best start of my major league career! I'm so happy right now. I'm feeling more confident in my changeup after tonight.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-20-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #75
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you mainly relying on your fastball or are the changeup and curve being mixed in a bit?

I tend to fall in love with the fastball and overuse it. This last game, I really mixed up my pitches well.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #76
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

May 22, 2011 -

My last game started a 4 game winning streak before we lost last night. We are 22-21 and Ozzie is in a good mood. Tonight, I'm pitching in Colorado against the Rockies. Hopefully, the infamous thin air doesn't get me.

Blake started off the game with a homerun and we are up 1-0.

Atkins with a flare that Sanchez barely misses in shallow right for a 2 out single in the 1st. A 1-0 fastball is much higher than I meant and goes right over the heart of the plate.. Hawpe drills it to very deep right for a 2 run homer.

We are down 2-1 in the 2nd. With a 0-1 count Clint Barmes hurts himself swinging at my inside fastball. Catalanotto comes into the game as a pinch hitter for him. Struck out Torrealba on a 2-2 high inside fastball. Got the pitcher to ground to 2nd for the 3rd out in the inning.

Struck out Gonzalez with a 2-2 changeup to start the 3rd. 1-2-3 3rd.

In the top of the 4th, I successfully sac bunted guys to 2nd and 3rd but we failed to score. Still down 2-1.

Struck out Jason Marquis with a high fastball in the 5th. Blake catches a Helton bullet with no problem to end the inning.

1-2-3 6th.

They pinch hit for me in the 7th inning but we fail to score. A 2-1 loss.

My record drops to 3-3.

6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 K, 0 BB.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #77
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

May 27, 2011 -

We've are on a 6 game losing streak. We are now 22-26. I need to turn it around. Tonight, we are hosting Arizona.

Struck out Upton on a 0-2 curveball to start the game.

Struck out Upton with a high fastball in the 3rd inning. The next 2 hitters, Stephen Drew and Conor Jackson get singles to get men on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. Mark Reynolds is at the plate. Struck him out with a 99 MPH fastball on a 3-2 count.

On an 0-2 count, I get a bunt down to move a runner to second. He later scores to give us a 1-0 lead as I take the mound in the 4th.

Sanchez with a spectacular dive and recovery to throw out the leadoff hitter. Struck out Snyder with a 1-2 changeup in the 4th.

Terrible start in the 5th as I walk the #8 hitter and then a passed ball allows him to advance to 2nd. At least, a nasty fastball causes the pitcher to pop up his bunt attempt. Upton grounds to 2nd moving the runner to 3rd and then I walk Drew on 4 pitches. A 1-2 96 MPH fastball to Conor Jackson that is a bit high and inside gets called a 3rd strike and I'm out of the inning.

Still a 1-0 game as I take the mound in the 6th. A 0-2 curve strikes out Reynolds to start the inning.

I step to the plate with 1 out, a man on 2nd, and we have already scored 2 runs. I bunt the runner to 3rd as instructed.

3-0 lead as we enter the 7th. The leadoff hitter hits a 2-2 curve into right field for a single. They bring in Reed Johnson to pinch hit. I pop him up to the catcher with an inside fastball. Upton hits into a 3-6-1 double play to end the inning.

A 3-2 fastball gets away from me and walks the leadoff hitter, Stephen Drew, in the 8th. Conor Jackson flies out to shallow right for the first out. Darn, I get Reynolds into an 0-2 count despite my fastball losing its zip, but then the 0-2 curve gets away from me and hits him in the back to put men on 1st and 2nd. Ozzie pulls me after that pitch.

I'm happy to see that my pen got us out of the jam and we won the game 3-0. That is my 4th win of the year and I'm named player of the game.

7.1 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 6 K, 3 BB, and 2 (or 3 HBP.)
Old 05-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #78
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 1, 2011 -

A tough road game against the Mets today. We are now 23-29. They have so many dangerous hitters:

SS Jose Reyes
3B David Wright
LF Manny Ramirez
1B Carlos Delgado
CF Carlos Beltran
RF Ryan Church
2B Luis Castillo
C Ramon Castro
P Mike Pelfrey

McLouth knocks in Blake (who is catching today) to start the 1st inning to give us a 1-0 lead.

Sanchez with a brilliant dive, recovery, and throw but David Wright beats it out for a single. Manny hits the first pitch to deep right but Kearns catches it at the warning track to get the 2nd out of the inning. Delgado grounds softly to Sanchez and the 1st is over.

I come up to the plate with 0 outs and Moss at 1B, I sac him to 2nd and he later scores on a sac fly to give us a 2-0 lead.

In the 2nd, Church hits a ball to deep center over McLouth's head for a 1 out triple. A deep fly on a 3-2 changeup gets the run in. I get Castro to ground to 3rd to end the inning.

A 1-2 fastball at the knees gets Reyes looking in the 3rd. Struck out Wright with a 3-2 changeup to end the inning.

After Manny reached on an error, I got Carlos Delgado to ground sharply back to me and started the 1-6-3 double play. Struck out Beltran with a low 2-2 fastball.

1-2-3 5th.

Struck out Pelfrey with a 1-2 changeup to start the 6th. Wright with a 2 out single to right. I get Manny to hit a 0-2 changeup right back at me and make the throw to 1st to end the inning.

Still up 2-1 in the 7th. Beltran with a 1 out single to right field. Ozzie pulls me after that. I think it is too early. If we blow this lead, I'm going to tell Ozzie so after the game. Sean Burnett comes into the game. Burnette gets the job done, but that a-hole Chris Bootcheck gives up 2 runs in the 8th that cost us the win. We lose the game 3-2.

6.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 K, 0 BB.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-20-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #79
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 1, 2011 -

My teammates try to talk me out of going to Ozzie's office as they are afraid it will piss him off, but I do it anyway. Ozzie agrees that I had something left and says he will probably leave me in longer next time.

I reflect on my stats so far after 2 months:

11 GP, 4-3, 3.05 ERA, 11 GS, 8 QS, 65 IP, 57 H, 25 R, 22 ER, 6 HR, 11 BB, 38 K, 1.05 WHIP, .252 avg vs RH, .232 avg vs LH.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 7, 2011 -

Today I'm pitching against the Cubs in Chicago. The wind is blowing out to right at 10 MPH. We are 25-32. They are atop the division at 37-20.

Struck out Theriot with a 0-2 changeup to start the game. A 4-0 walk to Sweeney is not good. My 1st pitch, a fastball, to Ramirez gets away and hits him on the hip. Soriano with a RBI single in which Sweeney barely beats the throw home. Struck out Bradley with a 0-2 curve to get the 2nd out. Soto flies out to left to the inning.

Struck out Lilly on 3 straight fastballs to end the 2nd inning.

Struck out Soriano with a fastball low and inside to end the 3rd.

Struck out Lee with a low fastball to end the 4th.

In the top of the 5th, I hit a single to shallow right center to lead off the inning. Unfortunately, we didn't score. Still down 1-0 in the bottom of the 5th.

Struck out Lilly on 3 straight fastballs in the 5th for the 2nd out.

Ryan Sweeney starts off the 6th with a single to left field. After I get Aramis out on a pop up to 2nd, Soriano hits a hard grounder between 1st and 2nd that advances the runner to 3rd.

Soriano steals 2nd on the 1st pitch. I get Bradley to hit a grounder right back to me. I look the runners back and then throw to 1st for the out. Sanchez makes a good play on a grounder to his right and throws out Soto to end the inning.

Ozzie pinch hits for me in the 7th. We get 3 runs out of the move. However, Burnett and Baustista combine to cough up the lead and we lose the game 4-3. Another solid effort by me that gets wasted.

6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 6 K, 1 BB.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #81
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 9, 2011 -

What is management thinking? They just traded our "#1 pitcher" Satchel Morris to the Brewers for CF Mike Cameron. Do we really need another CF? I guess if he can play left, I'm glad we made this move.

June 10, 2011 -

Ozzie meets with me and tells me that with Satchel gone, he expects me to be the staff's ace pitcher now! He says he likes my moxie and thinks I've got the talent to be a #1 for many years.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #82
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 12, 2011 -

We are 26-36. Today, we host the Detroit Tigers who are 29-34. We have been starting Cameron in left field the last few days and he has done well, although tonight Cameron is starting in center with McLouth in left. A look at both starting lineups:

CF Curtis Granderson
2B Placido Polanco
1B Miguel Cabrera
RF Magglio Ordonez
LF H. Trammell
C Geral Laird
3B Brandon Inge
SS Adam Everett
P Dontrelle Willis

LF Nate McLouth
C Kennedy Blake
2B Freddy Sanchez
CF Mike Cameron
SS Jack Wilson
RF Austin Kearns
3B Andy LaRoche
1B Brandon Moss (worried about his defense there.)

Granderson hits the first pitch, an inside fastball, over the right field wall.

Struck out Cabrera with a 3-2 fastball. That was a 9 pitch at bat. Cameron with a spectacular catch in center to end the inning.

McLouth with an amazing catch of a deep fly in left. These guys are going to cover a lot of ground between them 1-2-3 2nd.

My defense is killing me in the 3rd. An error by Wilson to allow Everett to get on. Then, the catcher fumbles a bunt attempt by Dontrelle. Then, Sanchez fumbles a sure double play ball and we only get 1. Now, 1 out and men on 2nd and 3rd. I need to strike out Polanco.

Instead, a 1-0 fastball gets away and I plunk him to load the bases for Cabrera. He hits a hard grounder down the left field line for a 2 RBI double. A ground out to 2nd by Magglio knocks in another run.

CRUD. Trammell turns on a good 1-2 low inside fastball and pulls it down the right field line. 6-0. Inge with a RBI single to deep left to make it 7-0. I'm not handling my ace status very well today. My worst inning ever as I give up 7 and let them bat around in the 3rd.

That is it for me. Ozzie has seen more than enough. Amazingly, despite the 7-0 hole I dug them, my team wins 10-9 thanks to a 6 run 5th and a 3 run 7th.

3 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 2 ER, 1 K, 0 BB.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-20-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #83
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 18, 2011 -

Today, I'm getting the start against the Minnesota Twins at home. We are 29-38. They are 25-44. Morneau is the only really dangerous hitter in their lineup today. Today, McLouth is getting some rest and isn't starting for us. We are starting Travis Page in left field and Cameron in center.

Morneau hit a 2-2 hanging slider to deep left center with 2 outs to put them up 1-0. I need to stop throwing that slider until I get better command of it.

Morneau with a 2 out RBI single in the 3rd inning.

Still down 2-0 as I take the mound in the 5th. My team is being no hit.

With men on 1st and 2 and no outs, I struck out Casilla with an inside fastball. Next pitch, Morneau hits a low fastball to deep right for a 2 RBI double. Pridie with a single just past LaRoche and down the left field line for a RBI double. 5-0 and I've had another terrible outing. Brandon Harris with an RBI single and Ozzie yanks me.

4.2 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.

Our team takes the lead in the 7th, but Chris Bootcheck blows it in the 8th. We lose the game 11-7.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #84
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 24, 2011 -

We are now 30-42 and 18.5 games behind the Cubs. Today, I'm starting against the Royals in Kansas City.

As I take the mound, we have a 2-0 lead.

Leading off is Coco Crisp. He hits a 1-1 changeup down the 3rd base line for a single. Next up is Alex Gordon. He hits a 1-2 slider, that I wanted to be very low but ended up sailing over the heart of the plate, into deep left center for a RBI double.

Billy Butler is up next. He grounds out to Sanchez, but the runner goes to 3rd. Clark Kirkpatrick is up next. He hits a deep fly to left for the sac fly. Tied at 2. Aubrey Huff is up now. He grounds to 1st to end the inning.

Mark Teahan leads off the 2nd inning. He grounds to short. Miguel Olivo batting 7th. He hits a hard shot into deep left for a double. Felipe Lopez is up next. He grounds to short for the out. Esteban German is the #9 hitter. Struck him out with a 3-2 changeup.

Yes. We have a 5-2 lead as I take the mound in the 3rd.

Start the 3rd with a 1-2 fastball on the outside corner to strike out Crisp. Struck out Gordon looking too with a 2-2 inside fastball at the knees. 1-2-3 3rd.

Struck out Kirkpatrick with a 2-2 changeup to start the 4th. Struck out Huff with an inside 3-2 fastball. After Teahan walked, I struck out Olivo on the 12th pitch, a 3-2 high inside fastball.

In the 5th, Crisp with a double that Kearns just misses making a diving catch on. That puts men on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Alex Gordon is up. I get him to hit to 1st, rather than tagging the bag, he throws it home and throw is late. 5-3, 1 out. Butler up to the plate with men on 1st and 3rd. The 1st pitch gets away and hits him in the head. Butler is down! I hold my breath. I hope he is ok. He is going to the hospital to get checked out.

Bases loaded with Kirkpatrik up the plate. I get him to ground to 1st for a 3-6-1 double play to get out of the inning.

In the 6th, Teahan has a 10 pitch at bat before hitting a 3-2 to deep right that Kearns barely catches at the warning track. Olivo with a first pitch line drive to shallow left center. McLouth with the throw to 2nd.. he got him! But, the ump calls him safe. I want to argue with the ump but can't risk the ejection. McLouth with a great catch in center to get me out of the inning.

My arm is dead. Ozzie and I both know it. That is it for me. Time to hope the pen can hold onto my lead.

They do. Capps gets his 19th save and I get my 5th win of the year. Now, I'm 5-3.

6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 6 K, 1 BB.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #85
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 24, 2011 -

After the game, I hear that Butler has a concussion and is expected to miss 1-2 weeks. At least, he wasn't hurt worse. I need to get better control of my fastball.

June 29, 2011 -

Tonight, I'm starting in Houston. Lyle Overbay is their most dangerous hitter in the lineup tonight. The lefty has 11 homers on the year. We are 34-43. They are 35-43.

Great start to the 1st inning for our hitters as we put up 5 runs on a grandslam by Moss!

After the leadoff hitter gets a single to shallow center, the first pitch to the 2nd hitter is a comeback which I turn into a 1-6-3 double play. Pence grounds to Sanchez to end the inning. An uneventful 2nd inning.

In the 3rd, they got men on 1st and 3rd with 1 out, but I got Jason Tyner to pop up a fastball to me. Pence grounded out to short to end the inning.

Struck out Overbay with a 2-2 changeup to start the 4th.

5 shutout innings pitched so far.

Struck out Overbay with a 0-2 changeup to start the 6th. 1-2-3 6th.

I'm allowed to bat to start the 7th, I hit a shallow liner to center. The center fielder makes a spectacular diving catch, by Ozzie runs out arguing it was a trap. He argues my case, but it's still called an out.

After allowing a leadoff single in the 7th, I get Towles to fly out to center. Carlos Lee comes in as a pinch hitter. He also flies out to McLouth. Last batter grounds out to Sanchez. 7 shutout innings and my arm feels good.

1 pitch ground out to short by Tyner to start the 8th. 1 pitch to Pence and he grounds out to 1st. Struck out Overbay on a 1-2 changeup! He is the only guy in their lineup I have managed to strike out today.

I'm being allowed to hit in the top of the 9th with a man on 1st and 2 outs.. I ground out to 3rd to end the inning.

Struck out Luna on a 2-2 fastball to start the 9th. That was my 100th pitch. McDonald with a drag bunt down the third base line to get on 1st. 1st pitch to Rivas I explode his bat and the ball is popped weakly to 1st for the 2nd out. Towles is up now.. on the 7th pitch, a 96 MPH 2-2 fastball over the inside edge of the plate strikes him out swinging. My first complete game and 1st shutout of the year! We win the game 5-0.

9 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 5 K, 1 BB.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-23-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #86
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 1, 2011 -

I doubt I'll make the All-Star team, but I'm happy with my stats so far 3 months into my 1st full major league season:

16 GP, 6-3, 3.27 ERA, 11 QS, 1 CG, 1 SO, 93.2 IP, 89 H, 42 R, 34 ER, 9 HR, 15 BB, 57 K, 1.11 WHIP, vs RH .254, vs LH .259.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #87
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 4, 2011 -

Starting on the 4th of July at home is exciting. Tody, we are hosting the Mets and their dangerous lineup. We have one of our biggest crowds of the year, just under 24k. The Mets are 50-32. We are 36-46. The Mets are using the same lineup as the last time I faced them. No Cameron today playing behind me, as Travis Page is starting in left for us.

Wright takes a 3-2 fastball to right field for a single with 1 out. Manny has 20 homers as he takes the plate. I walk him on 4 straight pitches. Delgado with 15 homers as he steps to the plate. Sanchez misplays a strong grounder at him and it scores a run. 1-0. Beltran up now. He has 17 homers on the year. Struck him out looking on a 0-2 99 MPH fastball on the outside corner (and a bit high.) Church up with 2 outs. I get screwed on 2 straight ball calls and walk Church. Bases loaded with 2 outs in the 1st.

Luis Castillo is up now. He grounds to 1st for the out to end the inning.

Reyes legs out a grounder to short to get on with 2 outs. Then, he steals 2nd. Great catch by LaRoche in foul territory as he practically falls into the crowd catching Wright's popup to end the 2nd.

I jam Manny to start the 3rd as he flies weakly to left. Delgado grounds a 1-1 changeup weakly back at me for the 2nd out. Beltran grounds to 2nd to end the 2nd.

I hit a grounder past Wright to start the 3rd for us. Too bad, my teammates didn't knock me in. Still down 1-0 as I take the mound to start the 4th.

Luis Castillo with a 1 out single and then Ramon Castro hits a 1-2 fastball just past Sanchez. Men on 1st and 3rd with the pitcher up and 1 out. He grounds a 1-2 changeup right back at me and I start the 1-6-3 double play to end the inning.

Reyes fouls off 4 pitches before I finally throw a 3-2 fastball too low and he walks to start the 5th. Caught him stealing with a pitchout. It takes 9 pitches, but I finally strike out Wright swinging on an 2-2 inside fastball. Crud. A 1st pitch curve hangs and Manny crushes it to deep left. Down 2-0. Manny is 1 homer away from 600 now. Delgado flies out to McLouth to end the inning.

With 0 outs, I sacrifice guys to 2nd and 3rd in the 5th inning and it turns into a 2 run 5th! Tied at 2 as I take the mound in the 6th.

Struck out Church on a 0-2 fastball well outside to get the 2nd out in the 6th. 1-2-3 6th. I've thrown almost 100 pitches and they pinch hit for me in the bottom of the 6th. Unfortuantely, we fail to score.

Bautista pitches a good 7th inning but Bootcheck gives up 3 runs in the 8th and we lose 5-2.

6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #88
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 10, 2011 -

My last start before the All-Star game which is just 2 days away. Today, we host the Brewers. Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun are by far their most dangerous hitters. They are 36-55. We are 38-49. I have Cameron in left and McLouth in center as the best defenders behind me today.

1st pitch is grounded to Sanchez for the 1st out.

What was I saying about Cameron? He tries to throw out Rivera at 2nd and overthrows him allowing Rivera to get to 3rd with 1 out. I decided to pitch carefully to Braun after that. Braun walks as the 3-2 changeup is called a ball by Doc Bryant, but I thought it was a strike at the knees. Fielder up now. He leads the league with 25 homers on the year. Braun is 2nd with 24.

Fielder hits a 0-2 changeup sharply up the middle but Sanchez dives which traps it, flips it to Wilson who throws out the slow Fielder just before he reaches 1st to end the inning.

After getting into trouble with the leadoff runners on 1st and 2nd, I get a 3-6-1 double play and then I strike out Bill Hall with a 2-2 changeup to end the 2nd.

We get 2 runs in the bottom of the 2nd thanks to a 2 RBI double by Page who is playing in RF over Kearns tonight.

Struck out Rivera looking with a 0-2 fastball on the outside corner to end the 3rd.

1-2-3 4th as I got Braun and Fielder to chase outside pitches for ground outs.

With 2 outs and my men on 1st and 2nd, I struck out on a 2-2 changeup to end the rally.

Braun with a 2 out single to center in the 6th. I get Fielder to ground a low changeup to short for the 3rd out.

I walk Francisco for the 2nd time this game with 1 out in the 7th. He fouled off 2 3-2 pitches before I missed inside with the fastball. Eckstein hits a hard deep fly to left center but McLouth makes the play easily. Love him having out there. Struck out Bill Hall with a 1-2 slider to end the 7th.

After the pitcher leads off the 8th with a bloop to left field, I get Hart to strike out on a 3-2 changeup. He forced me to throw him 9 pitches. Rivera chops the first pitch hard up the middle for a single, but the pitcher goes for 3rd and McLouth throws him out by at least 3 feet.

Braun hits a 0-1 fastball hard to right field. Travis dives for the sinking liner and just barely misses it. He quickly recovers and holds the men at 2nd and 3rd. That is it for Ozzie. He pulls me and brings in Thaddeus Waite who has been the most effective reliever outside of Capps.

Unfortunately, Waite doesn't get the job done this time. He allows bot of my inherited runs to sore on a single by Fielder. We lose the game in the 11th when Bootcheck allows 2 runs. How does he keep a job?

7.2 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 4 K, 3 BB.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-23-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #89
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 12, 2011 -

As expected, I did not make the All-Star team. Cole Hamels was the starting pitcher and he got the win as the NL beat the AL 4-3. Matt Capps did make the team as did McLouth.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #90
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

At least your improving...if you got on a better team your record would be closer to 10-3.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #91
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
At least your improving...if you got on a better team your record would be closer to 10-3.

Very true. I can't wait to leave the Pirates. Hopefully, I'll get to go the Phillies, but we'll see who offers the most money and the best situation to pitch in when the times comes.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #92
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

EF, this is awesome and more relevant to me now that I've begun playing RTTS mode this week and with this new guy last night.

You've got a good model here and I like how descriptive you are about the game and such alike. I'm sure I'll be cribbing your model a bit as I evolve my dynasty a bit.

I'll be following for sure. Looks like you've turned a corner too, so I hope you get out of there and someplace you want to be when free agency rolls around.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #93
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
EF, this is awesome and more relevant to me now that I've begun playing RTTS mode this week and with this new guy last night.

You've got a good model here and I like how descriptive you are about the game and such alike. I'm sure I'll be cribbing your model a bit as I evolve my dynasty a bit.

I'll be following for sure. Looks like you've turned a corner too, so I hope you get out of there and someplace you want to be when free agency rolls around.

Thanks. I'm enjoying following your dynasty as well.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #94
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 18, 2011 -

Today I'm starting on the road against Washington. The Nationals' most dangerous hitters are Lastings Milledge and Ryan Zimmerman who both have 11 homers.

Our team gets a 1-0 lead early in the game on a Kenneth Blake homerun. Blake is being talked about as National League Rookie of the Year. I was hoping that would be me getting that talk, but I like the kid and am happy for him. Interesting choice by Ozzie today as he has starting Travis Page in center and McLouth in left. I don't really understand that move, but hopefully it will work.

Struck out Milledge to start the game looking on a 99 MPH outside fastball at the knees that just got the corner of the plate.

A 1-1 fastball to the next batter gets away from me and drills him in the back. Blake throws him out attempting to steal on a 2-1 pitch. Struck out Zimmerman with a 2-2 changeup to end the inning.

Struck out Josh Willingham swinging on a 99 MPH fastball to start the 2nd. 1-2-3 2nd.

To start the 3rd, I sac bunt our #8 hitter to 2nd for the 1st out of the inning. We fail to knock the runner in.

Struck out Jesus Flores for the 2nd out in the 3rd with a 99 MPH fastball. My control of it is getting better and I'm painting the corners right now. 1-2-3 3rd.

Milledge starts off the 4th with a single that just gets past Jason Wood (who I have no idea why he is starting at short instead of our usual starter who easily would have made the play.) Oh well, there goes the no hitter. Cotts laces a 1-2 slider into right field and Milledge barely beats the throw into 3rd. Men on 1st and 3rd with Zimmerman up and no outs. I need some of those strikeouts now...

Cotts steals 2nd on a 2-0 pitch. I walk Zimmerman to load the bases with no outs. A deep fly to center scores their 1st run of the game. Page with a solid play out there. Men on 1st and 3rd with 1 out now. Gotay hits a line drive just past the short stop. Again, that would have been a routine play for Wilson. Down 2-1 with men on 1st and 3rd.

Darn. I get a routine grounder to 2nd that should have been a double play ball but Sanchez bobbles it and gets none. Down 3-1 now with men on 1st and 2nd. I get Corey Patterson to ground back softly to me, but my throw to 2nd is just too late and we don't get any. Finally, I get the catcher to ground to 3rd for a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.

The pitcher hits a weak flare to short left field that a competent short stop could have gotten. Milledge hits the first pitch, a changeup, down the 3rd base line for a single. It was all going so well, but now I'm completely rattled. Cotts hits a sharp liner into the left field corner for 2 RBI double. Down 5-1. Zimmerman with a deep fly to center moves the runner to third. Willingham hits a curve to deep left for a RBI double. I can't believe I was thinking no hitter not that long ago. Down 6-1 and Ozzie is yanking me now. We lose the game 7-3 and I fall to 6-4.

4.1 IP pitched today, 8 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 4 K, 1 BB.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 21, 2011 -

The hitting coach said that I'm becoming a semi-competent hitter against left handed pitchers after today's batting session in which I hit my first homerun down the left field line.

July 24, 2011 -

Today I'm pitching at home vs the Cardinals. Before the game, I was perusing MLB.com and I noticed that the Pirates are 30th in runs scored The Cardinals are 55-42 and are 8th in runs scored. Good news as Pujols isn't playing today. Better news is that I have every starter I expect playing defense behind me today including McLouth in center and Cameron in left.

1-2-3 1st.

Ankiel was batting .329 with 19 homers coming into this game, but I strike him out with a 0-2 fastball that was well outside to start the 2nd.

With men on 1st and 2nd with 1 out in the 3rd, I get Schumaker to ground to Sanchez for a 4-6-3 double play.

Wow. In the 4th, I just had my fastball clocked at 100 MPH for the first time ever on a 1-1 pitch to Crede that was just too far inside. 1-2-3 4th.

On a chopper to start the 5th, I overthrow the 1st basemen for an error that sends the lead off runner to 2nd. I get Molina looking on a 0-2 fastball at the knees to get the 1st out. Next up is Mather, who I get swinging at a 2-2 fastball at the knees. I get the pitcher to ground weakly to 3rd for the 3rd out of the inning.

Still scoreless as I take the mound in the 6th. I get Schumaker to strike out swinging on a 1-2 changeup for the 2nd out of the inning. 1-2-3 6th.

Ankiel starts off the 7th with a hard grounder up the middle. I get Crede looking with a fastball on the outside corner. Cameron with a spectacular play on a hard hit ball to deep left for the 2nd out. Out of inning with a little chopper in front of the plate.

Still a 0-0 tie as I take the mound to start the 8th. I get Hudson looking with a 0-2 fastball at the knees to end the 8th. I've got some great movement on it now.

They pull me for a pinch hitter in bottom of the 8th. The move pays off as we finally score off Lohse! In fact, we score 6 runs! We win the game 6-0.

I'm the player of the game. 8 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #96
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 30, 2011 -

Today, I'm starting against the Phillies in Philadelphia. They are stating Jose Contreras. They have a bunch of dangerous hitters.

We are up 1-0 as I take the mound in the bottom of the 1st. Sanchez with a BRILLIANT dive to rob Rollins of a hit. Struck Victorino out with a 0-2 changeup. Howard is batting .319 with 25 homers. He hits a 2-2 changeup all the way to the right field wall but Moss catches it against the wall.

Utley starts the 2nd off with a double when Cameron barely misses a diving catch. Ibanez hits a first pitch strike to left center and it barely clears the wall for a 2 run homer. Down 2-1.

I get the next 3 batters out without incident.

1-2-3 3rd.

Struck Howard out with a low 1-2 fastball to start the 4th. Utley draws a 8 pitch walk on a low 3-2 fastball. Struck out Ibanez swinging with an inside fastball. A single by Miller and then an RBI single by Pedro Feliz on a shot right back up the middle. Down 3-1 now.

NO! I get Paulino to hit a very weak grounder at 1st except Phillips fumbled it away! That allows the run to score to make it 4-1. Struck out Contreras with a fastball at the knees to end the inning.

I draw a leadoff walk to start the 5th! But, it doesn't lead to any runs.

Victorino draws 12 pitches before I finally get him to ground out to 1st on a 3-2 fastball in the 5th inning.

Ozzie pinch hits for me in the top of the 6th and we get a 4 run 6th! The pen holds the lead and I get the win as we win it 5-4! Capps gets his 26th save. I get my 8th win as my record is now 8-4.

5 IP, 6 H, 4 ER (how the heck are all of them earned!?!), 1 BB, and 4 K.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 1, 2011 -

I reflect back on my stats as the trade deadline has just passed:

21 GS, 8-4, 3.39 ERA, 14 QS, 1 CG, 1 SO, 124.2 IP, 121 H, 56 R, 47 ER, 11 HR, 23 BB, 78 K, 1.16 WHIP, vs RH .267, vs LH .253.

August 5, 2011 -

Today I'm starting on the road against the SF Giants. Their most dangerous hitter is Aaron Rowand who is batting .265 with 19 homers. Everyone I'd expect is in for defense except that Moss is out in right field, but he is decent there.

I have a 1-0 lead before I even take the mound. Cameron with a very nice play on the 1st hit ball of the night. Sanchez with a very nice play on a sharp grounder to get the 2nd out of the night. 1-2-3 1st.

Zito strikes me out in the top of the 2nd on a 1-2 changeup.

After walking the leadoff batter, I strike out Garko on a 1-2 fastball on the outside corner. Darn. With 2 outs, Clay Timpner hits a 1-1 fastball to deep right surprising everyone and it is over Moss' head for a RBI triple. I get their catcher to flyout to McLough to end the inning.

To start the 3rd, I throw a fastball for a strike to Zito that hits 100 MPH. Struck Zito out with a 99 MPH fastball. With men on 1st and 2nd, I strike out Sandoval with a fastball on the outside corner to end the 3rd.

LaRoche with a throwing error to put Garko on 1st to start the 4th. I get the next 3 guys on routine plays.

1-2-3 5th. Still tied at 1.

We get a run in the top of the 6th to take a 2-1 lead.

Rowand hits the first pitch down the left field line but Cameron cuts if off quickly. Sandoval hits a 3-2 changeup to Sanchez for the 4-6-3 double play.

Sanchez with another great play to get the 3rd out in a 1-2-3 7th.

1-2-3 8th against the top of their lineup.

Ozzie decides to go to Capps in the 9th which is fine with me as my arm was definitely tiring. He gets his 27th save and I get my 9th win. 2-1 win for us. Zito drops to 2-7. I'm the player of the game.

8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 K, 2 BB.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-24-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #98
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 10, 2011 -

We are on a 5 game winning streak. We are now 49-63. Today, we are hosting the Nationals who are 41-70. Only 11,716 fans here today

McLouth with a nice play in center to start the game. And another very nice play by McLouth to get the 2nd out of the inning. 1-2-3 1st.

Doumit with a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 1st to put us up 2-0.

On the 6th pitch, I get Willie Harris to strike out with a 1-2 outside fastball. 1-2-3 2nd.

Men on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out as I step to the plate in the 2nd. I ground out to short but it gets the run home!

1-2-3 3rd.

McLouth with a spectacular diving catch of a Milledge liner to left center. 1-2-3 4th.

1-2-3 5th.

Wilson with a spectacular diving catch of a line drive to short. The ball never leaves the infield in the 6th. 1-2-3 6th.

4-0 lead as I take the mound in the 7th.

LaRoche with a diving stab, recovery, and throw in time to get Milledge to start the 7th! Willingham hits a 2-2 fastball hard to the right of Sanchez and he dives... and just can't get to it. Goodbye no hitter.

Zimmerman with a linedrive to center, it falls in front of McLouth.. he throws to 3rd and gets Willingham by at least 3 feet. Konerko walks on a 3-2 fastball that was barely inside. Struck out Willie Harris with an inside fastball to end the inning.

Big bottom of the 7th for us and now we have a 9-0 lead.

My arm is tiring and I walk the leadoff hitter in the 8th. Ozzie pulls me right after that.

We win the game 11-2. I get my 10th win of the year!

7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 K, 2 BB.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-24-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #99
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aug 15, 2011 -

Today I'm pitching in Colorado where I always worry about extra homeruns. We are now 51-66.

First up is Carlos Gonzalez. First pitch is a strike that hits 100 MPH. Struck him out with a 1-2 outside fastball. Next up is their power hitter, Brad Hawpe. He hits a hard line drive into right center but McLouth gets there for the out. Garrett Atkins batting 3rd today. He grounds a 0-2 curve weakly to Sanchez for the out.

Chris Iannetta starts off the 2nd. He grounds out to LaRoche at 3rd. Ryan Spilborghs is up next. He grounds the 1st pitch to Phillips at 1st. Frank Catalanotto is batting 6th for them. He hits a 3-0 fastball hard to right and Dan Ortmeier make a nice play out there to catch up to it.

To start the 3rd, I get a single in the gap between short and 3rd, but it doesn't lead to a run.

Clint Barmes starts off the 3rd for them. He hits a hard liner right at LaRoche. Omar Quintanilla is up now. He grounds an 0-1 fastball to Sanchez. Jason Marquis is the pitcher and 9th batter today. He grounds weakly to Sanchez.

I come to bat in the 4th with men on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs. I ground out to short, but we scored 2 on a home run by Doumit.

Gonzalez starts off the 4th with a line drive to left that Nyjer Morgan can't quite catch. Hawpe and Atkins hit fly balls to right and left field for 2 outs and then the catcher grounds to short.

Struck out Ryan to start the 5th with a 2-2 fastball at the knees. Frank with a single past LaRoche when the ball hits a rock or something and gets a huge bounce over LaRoche. Barmes hits into a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.

An easy 6th inning and my arm still feels good.

Chris with a single past Wilson with 1 out in the 7th. Ryan grounds a 0-1 changeup to LaRoche who starts the 5-4-3 double play that ends the inning.

Still a 2-0 game as I take the mound in the bottom of the 8th.

It took 9 pitches, but I got Frank to finally ground to 1st on a 2-2 changeup. Barmes grounds a 1-1 fastball to Sanchez. Omar hits a flare into shallow left field that gets him a double. Todd Helton comes in as a pinch hitter. He hits a 3-2 fastball back up the middle and the run scores. 2-1 game and Ozzie goes to the pen. Yes, he is going to Javier Lopez who has been great this year.

Javier gets the job done but Capps with a rare blown save and the loss in the 9th as he gives up a 3 run homer. We lose the game 4-2. Only if I could have gone the distance.

7.2 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 K, 0 BB.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #100
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 20, 2011 -

Today I get the start in Arizona. They have 5 hitters with at least 15 homers.

Cameron knocked in Morgan to start the 1st inning. I'm disappointing to see Moss in center field today for us. Morgan in left and Cameron in right as McLouth gets a day off. Even worse, Wood is at 2nd instead of Sanchez. I hate Wood's lack of range.

Terrible start to the game as my first pitch plunks Upton in the leg. Drew hits the 0-1 fastball to 1st for a 3-6-1 double play. I struck out Nomar Garciaparra looking with a 1-2 fastball on the outside corner.

Mark Reynolds hits a line drive to left center. I can't help but think McLouth would have caught it. Instead, it becomes a double. The next batter grounds to short. Then, a grounder to 1st that advances the runner to 3rd with 2 outs. Chris Snyder fights off an inside 1-1 fastball and hits it to shallow right for a RBI single. Newton Winkelsas, their center fielder who is hitting .170, catches a fastball up in the zone and drives it down the left field line for a double. Men on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and the pitcher up. He grounds out weakly to LaRoche.

We get a run in the top of the 3rd on a solo homerun by Cameron.

Nomar with a with 2 out single to left field, but Reynolds flies out to center to end the inning.

Struck out Chris Snyder with a 2-2 slider to end the 4th.

Upton with a 2 out single in the 5th. Stephen Drew grounds a 0-1 curve to LaRoche for the easy out.

In the top of the 6th, we extend the lead to 3-1 on a RBI by Phillips.

1-2-3 6th as the ball never leaves the infield.

Newton gets me again in the 7th as hits a line drive to center to put en on 1st and 3rd. It's a hot day in Arizona and Ozzie thinks I'm fatiguing. He goes to the pen. Crap. He's going to Denny Bautista.. Bautista lets both of those runs score and it is a tie game at 3. Bootcheck gives up 3 more in the 8th and we lose the game 6-5.

6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 2 K, 0 BB.