Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #3201
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That UFC lineup in Mexico was shit, for the most part. Not saying you're wrong about your general point, but it was not a strong card, especially after Cain got hurt and was bumped for Hunt.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #3202
PilotMan
Head Coach

Maybe he can get Herschel Walker to come back? Or perhaps that evil little gnome, (Scott) Coker (Bellator and former Strikeforce CEO) will convince him to go again. God I hope not.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #3203
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I got in a dumb drunk argument and bet 5/1 that Jones will win Jan 3rd... I know that's too much, but does anyone think Cormier will actually win?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #3204
Suicane75
Coordinator

I certainly do.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #3205
BYU 14
Coordinator

I think he has a good shot too, Jones will have to keep it standing.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #3206
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yes, Cormier certainly has the skill set to make things hard on Jones. Coming down from Heavyweight he hits hard, and while his speed advantage that he had higher up wont be there his grappling, body type and skill set more than make up for it.

Cormier will get torn to shreds if he ends up outside and not able to close. Jones is going to keep going backward in the fight and try and pick him off with hard counters. But Jones kickboxing will be impacted by Cormier's takedowns. I think Cormier can keep Jones on his back, and I don't think Jones will mind fighting off of it. If Cormier can't get inside there won't be a way for him to win. I hope his conditioning is good enough to take it to the championship rounds.

It's still the fight I'm most interested in right now. To answer you, yeah, you gave up a lot at 5-1. I could see Jones going off closer to -150. A quick google search nets the current odds for Jones at -160, so I'm pretty damn close.

Like Steam?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #3207
BYU 14
Coordinator

Good analysis and I will say that for his appearance, Cormier's stamina has surprised me, he fights very efficiently and doesn't waster a lot of motion. I can see Jones trying to land something explosive early, and if Cormier weathers it and can take Jones down it could be a long night for the champ for sure.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #3208
PilotMan
Head Coach

I doubt I'll be able to watch the fights tonight, but it's probably the most interested I've been in a main event in over a year.

I'm shocked to see Nate Marquardt on the main card.

The flyweight matchup should be a preliminary.

The co-main between Cerrone and Jury has massive potential.

The Lombard fight should be higher because I know they are looking at him as a contender, but he hasn't won any fans with his boring fights.

The rest of these fights and fighters have no popularity. No push. No identity. Unless you are totally hardcore (I probably am) there's little to be excited about. So many of these guys should be fighting on some UFC minor circuit for the exposure.

Still hoping Cormier takes this. It's not like he hasn't been in with some very good fighters and beaten them. He has wins over Bigfoot Silva, Josh Barnett, Frank Mir, Roy Nelson and Dan Henderson.

The size of Jones shouldn't be intimidating to him. The biggest issue will be the speed and length of Jones. The other, bigger guys he fought he had big speed advantages over. That won't be the case tonight. I do think he'll have the ground and strength advantage though. We'll know tomorrow morning.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #3209
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Been kind of a snoozer so far. Horiguchi looked great, so quick, but even that match was hard to pay attention to.

Watching Marquard get beat up should be fun, tho.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #3210
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Boring card two matches to go.

Hope Bones saves it.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #3211
PilotMan
Head Coach

God help anyone who paid for this.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #3212
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I heart live streams from Europe
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #3213
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

holy crap this PPV is putrid so far
Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #3214
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'd have liked that to go on for one more minute
Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #3215
PilotMan
Head Coach

yep, awful. Kind of a statement for the last year imo. This was supposed to be one of the biggest cards too.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #3216
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jones looked like he was starting to breathe a little deeper by the end of that round.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #3217
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

ugh - feed just crashed
Old 01-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #3218
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

in retrospect, i wish it crashed 3 hours ago
Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #3219
PilotMan
Head Coach

yeah, this one started good but is finishing with a thud.

Like Steam?

Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 AM   #3220
bhlloy
Coordinator

That might be the last time I give the UFC my money. Absolute joke of a card not saved by the main event
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:04 AM   #3221
saldana
Pro Starter

That was such a disappointing fight..in fact, the whole card except for cerrone and jury was pretty awful..Jones looked gassed after the midway point of the 2nd round, and I honestly thought the 3rd could have gone to DC. The whole thing was a major let down for me, and I dragged my GF and her son to a pub to with me so I could watch it...almost feel like I need to apologize for wasting their night
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #3222
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That might be the last time I give the UFC my money. Absolute joke of a card not saved by the main event

Buffalo Wild Wings has all the fights here.
So we go camp out there for a few hours. Drink beer. Eat wings and apps and spend $50-60...same we'd spend on the PPV and get free food to boot otherwise Im not sure Id be buying anymore.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-06-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:30 PM   #3223
molson
General Manager

Cowboy Cerrone is stepping in to fight Benson Henderson on 15 days rest in Boston. (and that'll be 6 fights in 365 days). This was after his twitter gimmick this week where he said he was going to camp out at the UFC Vegas offices until they booked his next fight (and he posted photos of himself hanging out in offices there)

And here is probably the highlight of UFC 182, Cerrone kicking Jury at the end of their fight, Indiana Jones-style.

Cowboy Cerrone Whipping Indiana Jones Style - YouTube

UFC needs about 10-20 more guys like this.

Last edited by molson : 01-05-2015 at 11:34 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #3224
molson
General Manager

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones enters drug treatment facility - ESPN

Apparently the Nevada Commission knew about this for at least a month before the Cormier fight, but sat on it because cocaine isn't banned out-of-competition. So it looks like the win over Cormier will not be overturned. Not sure why they test for cocaine then.

Last edited by molson : 01-06-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #3225
PilotMan
Head Coach

damn. drugs suck.

Like Steam?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #3226
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The gram for gram MMA champion
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 PM   #3227
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So that's how he makes weight!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #3229
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That sucked. Was hoping Siver would knock that punk out.

He might be a little (okay way way) over the top, but McGregor is fun AND good. He's like a Diaz brother but he backs his mouth up by actually fighting his ass off.

Aldo-McGregor is gonna be a lot of fun!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #3230
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
He might be a little (okay way way) over the top, but McGregor is fun AND good. He's like a Diaz brother but he backs his mouth up by actually fighting his ass off.

Aldo-McGregor is gonna be a lot of fun!

That was bush league WWE crap he pulled at the end of the fight, jumping out of the cage to go after Aldo. Though I love that Aldo didn't even blink when he did it and just smiled.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #3231
Galaril
Pro Starter

Henderson got robbed with a significant strike difference of 87-56 over Cowboy. I love that McGregor backs up all the braggociousneess and think he handles Aldo since Aldo is more a stand up up game guy.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 PM   #3232
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Most interesting part of the night was Silva post match for me.

The raw emotion.
Then saying his kids beg him not to fight.

Good to see Spider back in the ring. Not sure the Spider I seen tonight wants any part of Wiedman, and that saddens me to think that Silva may not be on par with any contemporary...but its been a great run.

Guess Ill get up for Rousey Zangano... and then...not sure.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #3233
bhlloy
Coordinator

Silva looks like he's lost a lot of explosiveness. Based on that he's not getting back to the level of the elite fighters in the division.

Diaz brothers have a pretty good gig going talking shit and then losing and coming back for more. They are the heels of the UFC and make a pretty penny taking fights away from other guys doing it
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #3234
kingfc22
Head Coach

Seems like the UFC has a bit of a drug problem on their hands. First Jones and now Silva, albeit different drugs.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #3235
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ugh, I actually didn't even watch this last PPV. Diaz getting popped for weed seems like a laughable bust, but you know that Silva's might just cause him to just decide to hang it up if he's looking at any kind of suspension.

Like Steam?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #3236
molson
General Manager

Interesting that the commission doesn't notify the UFC and lets a guy fight after he tests positive for steroids. Maybe that's just the understanding between the parties, its better for all involved to deal with it afterwards. UFC doesn't have to scrap a fight, the commission can get its fine paid from the fighter's purse. I get it for cocaine, since that's in theory not a performance enhancer, but the steroid thing creates a real risk for the drug user's opponent, you would think

Last edited by molson : 02-03-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #3237
saldana
Pro Starter

i honestly always feel a bit bad for guys trying to come back from injuries, especially someone 39 years old that everyone has huge expectations for...trying to get the physical strength and the skills back from the kind of injury silva went through would be brutal...it doesnt surprise me that he cheated...that doesnt mean it doesnt disappoint me..it just doesnt surprise me
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #3238
PilotMan
Head Coach

and really that's the origin of TRT and the explosion of old guys being able to hang on in MMA.

Like Steam?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #3239
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess Gleison Tibau is stepping in to face Tony Ferguson at 184. I'm actually excited about this fight. Tibau has been a hard, hard fight for the last couple of years now and Ferguson, while being injured a lot, is still massively talented and rising.

Like Steam?

Old 02-05-2015, 07:09 AM   #3240
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I get it for cocaine, since that's in theory not a performance enhancer, but the steroid thing creates a real risk for the drug user's opponent, you would think

I would actually argue the converse here.

With Steroids the result is in the bag by match time. IF a cycle were timed right you could get all the benefits and still test clean.

On the other hand with coce, its only detectable for 72 hours. Plus it is an immediate stimulant and nerve suppressor. It would have an affect on that fight.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #3241
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I would actually argue the converse here.

With Steroids the result is in the bag by match time. IF a cycle were timed right you could get all the benefits and still test clean.

On the other hand with coce, its only detectable for 72 hours. Plus it is an immediate stimulant and nerve suppressor. It would have an affect on that fight.

If cocaine is used in competition, definitely. Same with marijuana, potentially (I would assume there would be some advantage when it comes to pain tolerance). But Jones testified positive for cocaine a month or two before his fight. If he passed the post-fight test, then that wasn't going to create a advantage, except to the extent cocaine helps you train. It's more problematic to let a guy fight after you know he got to his weight and trained with roids.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #3242
PilotMan
Head Coach

Oh Scott Coker how I hate you, let me count the ways.......

......and by hate, I genuinely mean hate. You little fucking gnome.

Like Steam?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #3243
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not down for Shamrock Vs Slice? I'm calling it right now, someone breaks a hip in that fight.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #3244
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, that and all the idea that he can make a big deal in the promotion out of guys who couldn't make it in the UFC, or trying to make a big deal out of guys like King Mo who has no desire to fight for a living. Yeah Bellator wasn't growing or bringing in numbers, the tournament was getting a little stale with talent dropping off, but they have still found some rising stars. At least for that promotion. What they've got now is Strikeforce 2.0 and Coker fucked that up good so it's only a matter of time.

Like Steam?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #3245
molson
General Manager

When the UFC has over 500 guys under contract competitors need to find people that the UFC couldn't possibly want AND will draw ratings. I don't mind a modern PRIDE freak-show promotion at all. The only question about this Shamrock/Slice fight (if it actually happens) is whether it will be the #1 watched Bellator show of all time or #2 (if it can't beat out Ortiz/Bonnar, which did run against a UFC PPV.).

Last edited by molson : 02-27-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #3246
PilotMan
Head Coach

One should argue that the UFC needs to split the promotion and go back to a 2 tier organization. It would thicken the talent pool and make the events more meaningful while building fighters under the UFC banner.

I have no faith in Coker to be able to run a promotion. I understand that the biggest slap in the face of Bellator was Dana pissing all over Ben Askren and telling him to go fight in One or WSOF to get some better experience. I some of that was just Dana and Askren heat and some of it was legit, but either way it doesn't mean much for the company's stature. Funny thought that the good fighters who have come over and made an impact get no mention of coming from Bellator ever.

And yeah, it's sad that Bonnar/Ortiz and all of it's stupid pro wrestling schtick lead up brought the house down. It shows people want to see names and don't really give a shit about what the fights actually mean. Emanual fucking Newton is the 205 champ. Emanual. Newton. And I LIKE Newton, cause he is about the most journeyman fighter you could ever have in your organization and to see him get some career recognition is great.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-27-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #3247
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
When the UFC has over 500 guys under contract competitors need to find people that the UFC couldn't possibly want AND will draw ratings.

Towards the end there it seemed like Rebney was focusing on discovering dudes in Eastern Europe, as half the roster was seemingly Russian, and I thought that was more entertaining than watching the has-beens that Coker keeps pulling out. I liked the tournament format too, so whaddo I know.

It seems like a bad decision from the TNA Wrestling school of thinking to try and draw UFC viewers with fighters that flamed out of the UFC five years ago. Sure, we're all familiar with their names. We're also familiar with the fact that they suck. On the other hand, it's probably true that a trainwreck with familiar names will still draw more viewers than potentially quality third-tier fighters that nobody knows...several sources make those kind of fights available, whereas I suppose Bellator is now the only place to see these kind of shitshows.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #3248
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
One should argue that the UFC needs to split the promotion and go back to a 2 tier organization. It would thicken the talent pool and make the events more meaningful while building fighters under the UFC banner.

That's my feeling as well. The UFC could use a WEC now more than ever. They could even setup some kinda corny promotion/regulation system like European soccer...lose too many in a row, and down to the depths with ye, defend your WEC title a time or two and you're in the UFC!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #3249
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Towards the end there it seemed like Rebney was focusing on discovering dudes in Eastern Europe, as half the roster was seemingly Russian, and I thought that was more entertaining than watching the has-beens that Coker keeps pulling out. I liked the tournament format too, so whaddo I know.

It seems like a bad decision from the TNA Wrestling school of thinking to try and draw UFC viewers with fighters that flamed out of the UFC five years ago. Sure, we're all familiar with their names. We're also familiar with the fact that they suck. On the other hand, it's probably true that a trainwreck with familiar names will still draw more viewers than potentially quality third-tier fighters that nobody knows...several sources make those kind of fights available, whereas I suppose Bellator is now the only place to see these kind of shitshows.

I loved Strikeforce when it was all the things UFC wasn't at the time - it had freak show fights, a better heavyweight division for a while, and women. UFC took all the heavyweights and the women, and after the rating Ortiz and Bonnar got, they're even dipping their toe in the freak show game by signing CM Punk.

I agree that Bellator shouldn't rely TOO much on UFC wash-outs, but I think it makes perfect sense to at least dabble in them occasionally. Ideally, they'll find a couple of other things UFC is lacking too. (And not just guys who are essentially banned from the UFC like Paul Daley). The tournament format had the potential to be that, but I'm not sure it's quite the same when it's not in one night.

Last edited by molson : 02-27-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #3250
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Not down for Shamrock Vs Slice? I'm calling it right now, someone breaks a hip in that fight.

They'll be wearing Lifeline Medical Alert bracelets and ads on their shorts.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote