Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Question "With the first pick in the NFL reallocation draft..."

...who would you pick?

Let's set up a few assumptions:

* All current NFL players are eligible to be reallocated, and there's an agreement that they have to play for the new team that drafts them. Don't worry too much about their feelings.
* You're in charge of the draft for the team of your choice
* The draft is NOW, or a few days from now
* Your season starts in September 2011
* You are responsible for the contract rights of your chosen players starting in 2011
* You draft first in every round after this, a total of 53 rounds
* Your team drafts LAST in every round of the upcoming amateur draft
* There's no free agent compensation or anything like that

OK, I don't mean to make this too complicated; this is just a variation of the "if you had a blank franchise, who is the person you would take first?" question that we've had here a few times.

I feel woefully underqualified to answer, so I won't. I will say the guy I would have taken first the past five years or so, I wouldn't take first under these rules. I'm sure most of the people I would consider taking instead will be mentioned here.

With that, I'll get out of the way. Choose now. Choose wisely. Your team thanks you.

Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'd probably lean towards P. Manning, but I'd almost definitely take a QB. If I couldn't take a QB, I would look towards possibly Joe Thomas, Mario Williams or Revis.

Sounds like we need 32 FOFC people and do a mock 22 round draft and vote on the results.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Joe Thomas was who I was thinking. Otherwise would have to be someone who can throw on the run, Big Ben maybe.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
spleen1015
Coordinator

Peyton Manning, no question about it.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Drew Brees. What he did with and for New Orleans wasn't a fluke or coincidence. I don't know that he's the absolute best talent, but A) he's close, and B) his intangibles are off the charts.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would choose Brees as well. He's 3 years younger than Manning and right now, a better QB IMO.

I think you would almost have to go QB, assuming that's what the majority (or even half) of the other teams in the first round would be looking for. No point in taking Joe Thomas if you get to the start of the second and the best QB left on the board is Matt Cassell.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - wonder how many people would have said Revis before the contract and the start he's had to the season?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
No point in taking Joe Thomas if you get to the start of the second and the best QB left on the board is Matt Cassell.

Which is why I said if I can't take a QB. Which, IMHO, is a more interesting discussion. If I want QB discussions, I'll go to the weekly NFL threads.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very tough.. probably Peyton Manning, but Drew Brees is a close 2nd.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'd want to go with a young QB who looks to be the next Manning rather than going with one who's 34.

Matt Schaub is 29 and 5 years younger. I'd consider him.

Drew Brees is 31.

Brady is 33

Eli is 29

Big Ben has too many off the field issues.

So, I'd prefer to look at:

Matt Ryan, 25.

He has huge upside, young, and a lot of talent already developed.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-23-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd take Manning.

Or Ryan Leaf if Manning was not available.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Aaron Rodgers (He's what, 25, 26?). Maybe Jake Long.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 09-23-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

I was thinking about Rodgers instead of Ryan, I think that's a really good pick too

Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

I'd take Manning.

I don't think you can look to build a dynasty at the expense of taking a player that's currently inferior because football has too many injuries. Take the best chance to get a Super Bowl now rather than hope to win three in a few years.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Aaron Rodgers would be my choice as well based on age and potential.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Plus, Manning has been very durable. I think he could play into his early 40s, like Favre. Only without all the retirement stuff.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

This would be my choice, too. In my opinion, he is the best QB under 30 in the league.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #18
Aylmar
High School Varsity

I'm torn between a great young LT (Jake Long, Ryan Clady) or a disruptive force on defense (Mario Williams, Demarcus Ware).
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I would trade the #1 overall pick to someone that desperately wanted Manning or Brees.

If I kept the pick Id Rodgers because of his youth, mobility(because your line is going to likely suck), and accuracy.

I considered Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady but you just cant win in the NFL without a good QB. If you wait until round 2 you will be stuck with someone like Donovan McNabb as your QB.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-23-2010 at 11:15 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #20
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Ben Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Brandon Jacobs.

Cmon, someone had to do it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's a QB league so you have to go QB first. I'd personally be between Rodgers and Rivers with an edge to Rodgers. People give Rivers a ton of shit but I don't care, the guy is a warrior. His playoffs haven't been awe inspiring but he is going to win a SB one day.

The only other player I'd consider over a QB is Mario Williams since he is just about to enter his prime and an elite 4-3 DE is about the hardest position in the NFL to find besides a QB.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #23
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Rodgers, for all of the reasons cited above.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #24
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Probably either Rodgers or Brees.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Rodgers, but I'm a Packer fan too so grain of salt and all that.....
Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think I would have to go with rodgers
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #27
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

JaMarcus Russell
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

I love the talent Rodgers has, but I think he takes far to many sacks. I liken him to a more talented version of Rob Johnson in that regard. That impacts my picking of him for two reasons:

1) when he faces a good pass rush in the playoffs, I'm not confident he'll be able to avoid sacks.

2) With all the shots he takes, I can't imagine he'll stay healthy for long. He takes far more shots than any other big name QB.

It is a QB league. I would go with Manning. Yes, he's 34. But he's never had a ton of mobility (so what is age really going to take away?), he's never been hurt, and I think he would last me at least 6 years. (plenty of time to build a Super Bowl contender in today's NFL. I'd also love to have him around to mentor my next QB. If I were to take a QB in the 25-29 age range, I'd probably go with Rivers, even if I'd hate to cheer for the jack ass. (no need to go into the debate again, I think he's a jerk, it doesn't matter what I think, we can end it there)

Now, assuming a QB couldn't be taken, a lot of interesting names appear. Mario Williams, Patrick Willis, Revis, Ware, Thomas, Clady, Long, etc.

My personal choice would be one of those first two Barring injury, you have two hall of fame calibur players, already among the best at their positions in the league and both under the age of 26. Very nice.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #29
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

trade the pick for the first pick in the ammy draft and take luck/mallet/locker.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #30
MikeVic
Head Coach

I saw Matt Ryan listed by someone. I wouldn't even think he'd be an upper-half first round choice, much less in the discussion for #1 overall?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #31
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I love the talent Rodgers has, but I think he takes far to many sacks. I liken him to a more talented version of Rob Johnson in that regard. That impacts my picking of him for two reasons:

1) when he faces a good pass rush in the playoffs, I'm not confident he'll be able to avoid sacks.

2) With all the shots he takes, I can't imagine he'll stay healthy for long. He takes far more shots than any other big name QB.

It is a QB league. I would go with Manning. Yes, he's 34. But he's never had a ton of mobility (so what is age really going to take away?), he's never been hurt, and I think he would last me at least 6 years. (plenty of time to build a Super Bowl contender in today's NFL. I'd also love to have him around to mentor my next QB. If I were to take a QB in the 25-29 age range, I'd probably go with Rivers, even if I'd hate to cheer for the jack ass. (no need to go into the debate again, I think he's a jerk, it doesn't matter what I think, we can end it there)

Now, assuming a QB couldn't be taken, a lot of interesting names appear. Mario Williams, Patrick Willis, Revis, Ware, Thomas, Clady, Long, etc.

My personal choice would be one of those first two Barring injury, you have two hall of fame calibur players, already among the best at their positions in the league and both under the age of 26. Very nice.

Did you really just compare Aaron Rodgers to Rob Johnson in some form? Rodgers took all them sacks early last season because his line was absolutely brutal FYI. Manning wouldnt have been able to do much better.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #32
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Did you really just compare Aaron Rodgers to Rob Johnson in some form? Rodgers took all them sacks early last season because his line was absolutely brutal FYI. Manning wouldnt have been able to do much better.

Some of them were him holding the ball too long, alot of it was a crap o-line. He has seemed to rectify the situation in the 2nd part of the season and this year.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #33
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Some of them were him holding the ball too long, alot of it was a crap o-line. He has seemed to rectify the situation in the 2nd part of the season and this year.

I just remember the game at the metrodome in which Rodgers took 8 sacks and he really didnt even have a chance on most of them. Allen would come in virtually untouched.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-23-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think I would have to go with rodgers

not eli?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #35
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I saw Matt Ryan listed by someone. I wouldn't even think he'd be an upper-half first round choice, much less in the discussion for #1 overall?

I think Ryan looks great as a QB. Remember he's surrounded by a lot less talent, and has been in the league a lot less. Rodgers is going into his third year as a starter, but was on the bench for three before that. This is Ryan's third season as a starter, but without the benefit of three years growth on the bench behind a Hall of Fame QB. A lot of Pro Bowl level QBs learned the game from Favre as a backup - Hasselbeck, Brunell, Rodgers. Ryan doesn;t have those three years. So, as a QB, I think Ryan is in a really good place development wise for a player who came to a team with a lack of talent, and has looked very good from the start, entering his third year.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #36
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

not eli?

His team will be so good that he wont be in any close games where he will need Eli's "clutchness."
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #37
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm feeling pretty good playing in a league where people take the third or fourth best player available.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #38
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I think Ryan looks great as a QB. Remember he's surrounded by a lot less talent, and has been in the league a lot less. Rodgers is going into his third year as a starter, but was on the bench for three before that. This is Ryan's third season as a starter, but without the benefit of three years growth on the bench behind a Hall of Fame QB. A lot of Pro Bowl level QBs learned the game from Favre as a backup - Hasselbeck, Brunell, Rodgers. Ryan doesn;t have those three years. So, as a QB, I think Ryan is in a really good place development wise for a player who came to a team with a lack of talent, and has looked very good from the start, entering his third year.

Yes
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #39
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm feeling pretty good playing in a league where people take the third or fourth best player available.

Your not starting with great team. You are starting from scratch in which more than likely it will take a few years to get the pieces in place. If you draft Manning and dont win it in 4 years you will be starting over. Id take my chances with the 26 year old coming into his prime to build around.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

I'd take Manning, who has shown he can win without a decent OL, and a bunch of other guys in the latter parts of their prime while others focus too much on getting younger guys who can be relied on for a decade. It's crazy to look beyond 3-5 years.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #41
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'd take Manning, who has shown he can win without a decent OL, and a bunch of other guys in the latter parts of their prime while others focus too much on getting younger guys who can be relied on for a decade. It's crazy to look beyond 3-5 years.

So says Al Davis.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #42
DanGarion
Coordinator

If Vince Young could bring it all together every game, he would be my pick. But since he still hasn't done that, Brees, Manning, Rodgers in that order.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #43
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Your not starting with great team. You are starting from scratch in which more than likely it will take a few years to get the pieces in place. If you draft Manning and dont win it in 4 years you will be starting over. Id take my chances with the 26 year old coming into his prime to build around.

Somebody is going to win in 2011 and while you're stocking pieces you hope will mature into a team that can win it all I'm going to pick players that can already win it all. It may not work, but I'll take production over potential eleven days out of ten.

Take the best player, play for today, and worry about tomorrow later. In a high turnover business like the NFL that's the best formula for championships.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #44
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I still remember my first USC game (against the Ducks in the early 90's) and Johnson getting sacked again and again. The fans actually cheered when he threw the ball away. We lost that game.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #45
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
So says Al Davis.

Yeah, there was no growing period at all required for Jamarcus Russell and Darius Heyward-Bey.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #46
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
So says Al Davis.

You can't compare a college draft to a reallocation draft. You don't know what any college player can do in the NFL. Manning, though, is a known commodity.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #47
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
1996 Carolina Panthers 12-4

1997 Carolina Panthers 7-9

1998 Carolina Panthers 4-12
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #48
MajikMan77
n00b

Quote:
I just remember the game at the metrodome in which Rodgers took 8 sacks and he really didnt even have a chance on most of them. Allen would come in virtually untouched.

Ah yes the game where our backup rookie tackle came in to replace the replacement (starting LG) because he sucked hard big time.

I'd pick Rodgers first, only because he'd probably cost me less money initially and has more mobility than Manning should the OL be waffer thin.
MajikMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #49
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

While this discussion is fairly interesting, I think an even more interesting one is what direction do you go in from there? I'd imagine 90% of us would take a QB first, maybe even more. So what do you do next? Focus on the O-Line? Skill position players on offense? Straight defense? I know a lot of it depends upon who is available, but as a general strategy for the draft, where are you going after QB?

I'd personally focus on offense as long as I could get marquee players. I'd try not to ignore the defense, but since I'm drafting a QB first, I want to protect that investment by providing him with protection and skill position players so he can produce.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #50
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
While this discussion is fairly interesting, I think an even more interesting one is what direction do you go in from there? I'd imagine 90% of us would take a QB first, maybe even more. So what do you do next? Focus on the O-Line? Skill position players on offense? Straight defense? I know a lot of it depends upon who is available, but as a general strategy for the draft, where are you going after QB?

I'd personally focus on offense as long as I could get marquee players. I'd try not to ignore the defense, but since I'm drafting a QB first, I want to protect that investment by providing him with protection and skill position players so he can produce.

Id want a left tacke to protect the franchise player.