Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

2011-2012 College Football Head Coach Carousel

So long Mike Stoops. Wildcat fans are thinking Belotti or Peterson

Last edited by MrBug708 : 10-10-2011 at 08:24 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Mike Leach or Mike Stoops?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

Whoops! Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Arizona should hire Leach. Our borders could use more beef.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So long Mike Stoops. Wildcat fans are thinking Belotti or Peterson
Bellotti I could possibly see, though I expect he would wait a bit to see whether UCLA might open up too. No way on Peterson.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Why in the fuck would Chris Peterson go to Arizona?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

The word is that Greg Byrne (AD) worked in the athletic department at Oregon for a year when Petersen was a position coach there. Sketchy at best, but some posters claim they are "best friends"
Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Atocep
Coordinator

I heard a few weeks ago that Rich Rodriquez was very interested in the Arizona job if it opened up.

I think it's a terrible fit though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Saw a tweet on the chance of landing Peterson: 0.0%
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-10-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

On behalf of Oregon State I would like to apologize to the rest of the Pac-12. But I bet there are some happy officials in the league right now.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
On behalf of Oregon State I would like to apologize to the rest of the Pac-12. But I bet there are some happy officials in the league right now.
Yeah, goddamit - we needed Stoops to win just enough to keep his job. Neuheisel, Kiffin & Wulff too...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nope.com
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yeah, goddamit - we needed Stoops to win just enough to keep his job. Neuheisel, Kiffin & Wulff too...

+1
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
molson
General Manager

I just wish Mark Mangino would coach somewhere again. He's like an big angry oompa loompa.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Reports are that Gary Pinkel of Missouri is not going anywhere. And if he does it will show that he's the worst football coach ever.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
bronconick
College Starter

The only reason Petersen should be mentioned is because the long time BSU AD was fired this summer over the $10 in football and women's tennis violations, meaning there's a new variable. That said, he'd still wait for something better than Arizona.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Reports are that Gary Pinkel of Missouri is not going anywhere. And if he does it will show that he's the worst football coach ever.

Actually, Pinkel has already been offered the job at Alabama, LSU, Texas, New England and both pro New York teams. He is just weighing his options right now.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Actually, Pinkel has already been offered the job at Alabama, LSU, Texas, New England and both pro New York teams. He is just weighing his options right now.

I heard that the Pac-10 schools are voting today on a plan to replace Arizona with Mizzou.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

I hear the Yankees are also looking to have him replace Girardi, and Obama plans to ditch Biden and nom Pinkel as his running mate in 2012.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Arizona's football program has been a dumpster fire for the past 10 years. At this point, they should just hire one of the Gramatica brothers to coach and kick.

Little known fact: Arizona has missed as many PATs (13 of 17) as the entire Big Ten (208 of 212)
Old 10-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The three names being bantered about in local Arizona radio are:

Chris Peterson
Mike Bellotti
Larry Fedora (head coach at So Miss)

I doubt Peterson comes out, but I could see the other two. At this point, I'll take door #2 over Stoops. He just never could turn the corner with the team.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Arizona's football program has been a dumpster fire for the past 10 years. At this point, they should just hire one of the Gramatica brothers to coach and kick.

Little known fact: Arizona has missed as many PATs (13 of 17) as the entire Big Ten (208 of 212)

Arizona is certainly a bad football team right now, but compared them to the program that Stoops took over after Makovich. He actually accomplished quit a bit, I thought he had earned the full year at least.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

From what I've seen on the CUSA board the past few years, Southern Miss fans would be ecstatic if Fedora left for another job...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Arizona is certainly a bad football team right now, but compared them to the program that Stoops took over after Makovich. He actually accomplished quit a bit, I thought he had earned the full year at least.

Yeah, and they've had a tough schedule this year - one of the country's toughest so far, I believe. I know the Oregon State loss is bad, but losses to #6, #9, and #10, plus a 7-point loss to USC?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The problem is the team has the best QB-WR combo (Foles-Criner) the program has ever had and couldn't keep up with the offenses they faced. Plus, stoops is supposedly a defensive genius and the defense ranked 115/120 schools this season.

Just look at the last game: Oregon State was 0-4 (lost to Sacramento St) and held Arizona to 120 total yards and a 26-6 first half score. On the flip side, OSU put up 37 points by the end of the game and torched Arizona's D. They are a bad team this year and the tough schedule just made it even worse. Plus, they were 2-11 in their last 13 games against ranked teams and made just 3 bowl games under Stoops - where they went 1-3, outscored 90-41. I don't see much hope with this program under Stoops - and he had 8 years to get things on track.

Last edited by Arles : 10-11-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

Keep an eye on Mark Hudspeth for the Arizona job
Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #27
SunDevil
College Prospect

Kevin Sumlin Has to Be Arizona’s Top Target to Replace Mike Stoops in Tucson
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #28
MrBug708
Head Coach

Does Case Keenum get to come with him?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #29
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Sumlin would seem to be a pretty good candidate.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

Another all offense, no defense coach. Arizona used to be a tough defensive team, I would think the fan base wouldn't mind seeing just the teensiest bit of defense in the new coach's philosophy, no?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #31
Ksyrup

Their D left when brother went to FSU. Unfortunately, he seems to have lost it somewhere along I-10.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #32
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Another all offense, no defense coach. Arizona used to be a tough defensive team, I would think the fan base wouldn't mind seeing just the teensiest bit of defense in the new coach's philosophy, no?
Stoops was a defensive coordinator and supposedly a genius on that side of the ball. All he did was slowly degrade our offense while keeping the D at average.

In the Pac-12, I'd rather have an offensive-minded head coach and then go out and get a good DC. If this were the SEC, I might have a different strategy.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Arizona has a team? I thought that Arizona was the new term for Bye Week...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #34
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
The problem is the team has the best QB-WR combo (Foles-Criner) the program has ever had and couldn't keep up with the offenses they faced. Plus, stoops is supposedly a defensive genius and the defense ranked 115/120 schools this season.

Just look at the last game: Oregon State was 0-4 (lost to Sacramento St) and held Arizona to 120 total yards and a 26-6 first half score. On the flip side, OSU put up 37 points by the end of the game and torched Arizona's D. They are a bad team this year and the tough schedule just made it even worse. Plus, they were 2-11 in their last 13 games against ranked teams and made just 3 bowl games under Stoops - where they went 1-3, outscored 90-41. I don't see much hope with this program under Stoops - and he had 8 years to get things on track.

replacing Stoops with the D-Cord was a dumb move too. uofa hasn't played defense all year why make the D-Cord the new head coach? At least show him the door too and make the O-Cord the new man for the last 6 games...they've shown up in the games.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #35
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kish got it because he was the longest serving assistant, no? If you give it to the new guy, you risk a further revolt this year
Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #36
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Kish got it because he was the longest serving assistant, no? If you give it to the new guy, you risk a further revolt this year

I wouldn't say there was or would have been a revolt at all. The players played their hearts out IMO. They just aren't that good and adjustments aren't made in the game. Recruiting has been bad for uofa for a couple of years and the injuries make the bad recruiting stick out more. Yes he was there from the begining with stoops. The Fr RB Carrey is a stud and should be starting and getting the majority of the carries each game. Antolin is a bust and always has been along with a fumble prone back. That's the 1st change I make as their coach.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #37
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The season is a wash, so it doesn't really matter so much that the defense has sucked under Kish. All you're hoping for as the AD is a guy that the locker room (and rest of the coaching staff for that matter) won't revolt against and someone organized enough to handle the job.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #38
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, the Wildcats are just going to "suck for Luck" and get a better draft pick. That's the reasoning for Kish.

Wait, there's no draft in college? Well, I got nothing then...
Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #39
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It is probably way too soon for him to be the HC of a BCS school, but Ron English quietly has taken Eastern Michigan from the worst team in the NCAA to 5-3 and a contender for the MAC Title in just three seasons. He has ties to Arizona and is a marvelous recruiter, especially with his ins in California. Arizona could be an intriguing fit though he is very much a dark horse candidate and like I said, probably not ready.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #40
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rick is not going to be the head coach of UCLA next year. The only thing remaining is when he'll be fired. A bad showing at homecoming on Saturday, could signal the end of him

I wouldnt be surprised to see UCLA step up and make the next coach paid one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in college football.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
It is probably way too soon for him to be the HC of a BCS school, but Ron English quietly has taken Eastern Michigan from the worst team in the NCAA to 5-3 and a contender for the MAC Title in just three seasons. He has ties to Arizona and is a marvelous recruiter, especially with his ins in California. Arizona could be an intriguing fit though he is very much a dark horse candidate and like I said, probably not ready.

Arizona will probably hire a higher profile coach than that, but he's on the bottom of their short list
Old 10-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Arizona will probably hire a higher profile coach than that, but he's on the bottom of their short list

Oh I agree. If they strike out with their top options, I could see him sliding in there.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #43
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Rick is not going to be the head coach of UCLA next year. The only thing remaining is when he'll be fired. A bad showing at homecoming on Saturday, could signal the end of him

I wouldnt be surprised to see UCLA step up and make the next coach paid one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in college football.

Who are the names of people UCLA fans want to see come in? Outside of your Meyer, Gruden, etc.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #44
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh I agree. If they strike out with their top options, I could see him sliding in there.

I don't think it goes past Mark Hudspeth

Quote:
Who are the names of people UCLA fans want to see come in? Outside of your Meyer, Gruden, etc.

Petersen is #1, but that is reaching right now. I don't have a problem with Leach or RichRod. June Jones would be solid as well

Passed that? I'm not sure
Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ba ha ha ha. With the budget crisis, no way UCLA will pay big money.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #46
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Ba ha ha ha. With the budget crisis, no way UCLA will pay big money.

We aren't going to pay someone like Lane Kiffin, four million dollars, to coach our team.

Jeff Tedford made 2.8 million a few years ago. With the budget as bad as it has been, it won't stop an athletic department, who is going to make 20 million in TV revenue, from paying someone 2.5 million-ish to a coach.

UCLA donors are threatening to withhold money from the Pauley renovation. What choice will the AD have? Especially when people like Casey Wasserman are involved?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #47
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Petersen is #1, but that is reaching right now. I don't have a problem with Leach or RichRod. June Jones would be solid as well

Passed that? I'm not sure
No Bellotti?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #48
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

He'll probably follow in Hoke's footsetps and get a job in CUSA/MWC etc. next.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #49
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
No Bellotti?

I have mixed feelings. I wouldnt be opposed, but not my first choice
Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #50
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have mixed feelings. I wouldnt be opposed, but not my first choice
I'm sure there's a better, younger candidate out there. But it's hard to think that Bellotti wouldn't be a really good backup plan. He's got a limited coaching span left - have to think at age 60 that he'd be no more than a 5-7 year solution - but it's hard not to be impressed by what he did in establishing Oregon as a consistently good football program.