Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

X-Com

As announced in the Video Games thread, Firaxis X-Com rewrite coming out in Fall.

Firaxis Games

Getting to Know XCOM: Enemy Unknown - IGN
Quote:
There are two groups of people who will be watching the XCOM series' rather rocky return with interest. The first will be players of the revered 1994 PC strategy game, long-term gamers rather worried by the concept of a remake. The second – the group that includes me – is people who were either too young or too poor to have been playing PC games 18 years ago, but who are deeply intrigued by the reverence with which UFO: Enemy Unknown is invariably talked about. In almost everyone's estimation, this game was one of the all-time greats of the decade, an achievement that's yet to be equalled by anything else in the genre in terms of its detail and scope for emotional involvement. You can't help but be intrigued.

XCOM is a turn-based strategy game based around an alien invasion of Earth. Taking squads of operatives out into the field, you fight back against this invasion mission by mission, drawing closer and closer to ultimate success – or, importantly, to failure. Like the original Enemy Unknown, it's quite possible to fail to repel the invasion. Once soldiers are dead, they don't come back, and the research you undertake over the course of your playthrough will greatly affect the eventual outcome. It's not aiming for the legendary difficulty of the PC original – I have friends who still swear that it was almost impossible to complete – but it is clearly aiming to preserve the tension and sense of real, tangible consequence that made UFO: Enemy Unknown so memorable.

Pretty cool video, looking forward to it ... great looking graphics, glam-cam, ant farm ...

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Deep Dive #1 - YouTube

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-05-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

Facebook link.

http://www.facebook.com/XCOM
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
cody8200
High School Varsity

My favorite quote. "The core principals that we wanted to build on from the original game are basically ...everything." Very excited for this!
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Death & The Muton: Firaxis On XCOM Fatalities & Floaters | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'm not sure about the changes to how many people in a squad though...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I'm not sure about the changes to how many people in a squad though...

Well maybe the second part of the Rock Paper Shotgun interview will make you feel better.

Firaxis On XCOM vs Xenonauts & Optional Kill-Cam | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Quote:
Jake Solomon: Right. Then there’s a Quicktime Event to interrogate them.

Or maybe the part where the dev was actually being serious.

Quote:
RPS: Rookie soldier, rookie mistake, eh? One thing I wasn’t personally quite so sure about in the stuff I saw was the glam cam, I know you guys really like that yourselves, and the soldier barks…

Jake Solomon: I was wondering when you were going to ask me about that. Yes? Now how did you put that: ‘there was something that I wasn’t quite as excited about’. I like that. What you’re asking me is ‘can I turn that off?’ Is that your question?

RPS: Heh, you’ve gazumped me. I’m fine with it being in there, I’d just like to have the option to turn it off if I want a quieter ‘I don’t want to be distracted, I just want to get my head down and solve this problem’ kind of session.

Jake Solomon: You have the option to turn that off. You also have the option to turn off soldier voices.

RPS: Hurray! Then everyone’s happy.

Jake Solomon: (laughs) I made sure and cleared that with Casey, my lead programmer. I was like ‘Look!’ I knew this was going to come up. ‘I’m talking to Rock, Paper, Shotgun this morning, can I tell them that we have the option to turn off action cam and turn off soldier voices?’ You can ask him, I told him that this was gonna come up. He said ‘Yes, you can tell them we have that option.’

Actually, let me tell you about something else we have. I played through the entire last game, we have an option in-game currently where you can hide enemy health and you can hide damage that you do, and that was something that people had brought up. In the original of course you had no idea how much damage you did, you had no idea how much health the enemies had and so we added that and that’s how I played this last game. It’s actually very different. You can’t say like ‘oh this guy can take this shot because he’s guaranteed to take out that alien there if he hits’, so it’s interesting. That’s also an option we’ve added is the option to turn off enemy health and any sort of damage tech so that the player can play a little bit more in the dark like the original.

The interview also mentions another X-COM style game that is in development named Xenonauts, and from the development screenshots you will be able to have a larger squad for missions.

I'm excited for X-COM, though there is one thing I'm worried about that centers around it being a multiplatform release. I'm happy it's coming out on consoles so people have the option to play it on their system of choice, I just hope they have separate UIs for console and PC. I really hope they don't design one UI and control scheme that's built around the limitations of a controller and on screen text designed to be read from a TV. Should be something basic, but too many games don't seem to get it right.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-05-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Could they do something as simple as the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates a couple of years ago where there wasn't much new except for a new coat of paint on the graphics? It was a somewhat limited experience as the old game was but there was so much depth in the original that it held up fairly well.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Could they do something as simple as the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates a couple of years ago

wow - the remake was already 8 years ago.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
wow - the remake was already 8 years ago.

After reading SI's post I was thinking, "Was there a Pirates! game I somehow failed to notice?"
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I just started playing UFO online. It's pretty fun, free, and has a surprising amount of depth for an online game. It's in closed beta, but you can get a key here.

The same folks also make Jagged Alliance Online which is also a good amount of fun, and in open beta.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-08-2012 at 11:57 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow- was it really that long ago?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

I like this

Quote:
You can go to the memorial wall where you can see all the guys who have died, and it tells you how many kills they had, how many missions they went on, what operation they died on. It’s actually pretty cool because we just put this in too, when you go to the memorial it’s sort of this UI screen and the camera’s looking at the bar, and as more guys die, you start to see these blurry pictures filling in on the wall behind the UI, and then there’s more and more shot glasses in front of the memorial.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

October 9th
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

Another trailer for the upcoming xcom.

Firaxis’ XCOM’s Apocalypse | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
Atocep
Coordinator

Kotaku, IGN, and Game Informer have all had very positive hands on experiences with it. I'm excited and starting to get my hopes up so it's destined to fall short of my expectations.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
Grover
Pro Starter

My god that looks fantastic.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
Jacob Typer
n00b

I thought that the UFO games from 2000s were not that hot, but one on another world was pretty close to the original. What was it's name......

I can;t remember, sorry
Jacob Typer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Edward64
Head Coach

Another review. On sched for Oct 9.

The ‘Consequences’ Of Playing Firaxis’ XCOM: Enemy Unknown | Kotaku Australia
Quote:
Perhaps, alas, I should have quit while I was ahead. That second day’s play is where I lost my snipers. I’m still sorry about that. Hopefully when XCOM: Enemy Unknown comes out on October 9, I’ll get a chance to redeem myself.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-02-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #19
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Cant wait.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #20
bhlloy
Coordinator

Damn, now my expectations for this are pretty sky high. Looking good in preseason

Last edited by bhlloy : 09-03-2012 at 04:00 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The game is up for pre-order on Steam.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
Warhammer
Pro Starter

very disappointed in the decision to only have one base.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
mckerney
Coordinator

At least they've said modding will be supported and hopefully it will have Steam Workshop integration like Civ V so the ability to have multiple bases will just be a couple clicks away.

Otherwise Xenonauts is looking like a good alternative.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

I would have been happy with an updated graphic engine for original X-Com and opening it up for modders. I think with the Firaxis track record, it will be a good game.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
very disappointed in the decision to only have one base.

I'm not disappointed in that - I'm dissapointed there won't be any base invasions as that was always quite a nice/stressful thing to occur .. but all told its shaping up in a very promising manner imho.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #26
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Preordered.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Solid preview/review of the first 40 hours:

Hands-On: Forty Hours With XCOM | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Can't wait!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I am slightly concerned that there will be only handcrafted maps (100?) and no procedurally generated ones. Hopefully the random placement of aliens will make things not as repetitive.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #29
rockboy70
Mascot

Supposedly the demo is available on steam.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #30
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post
Supposedly the demo is available on steam.

I'm downloading it now!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #31
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Doh! I don't have time for this now!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #32
spleen1015
Coordinator

Pfft. That was disappointing.

THE GAME IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!! The demo is way to fucking short!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #33
Shepp
High School Varsity

It took me longer to download demo than it did to play through it. The tactical missions seem close enough to the original.

Like Neon_Chaos said I'm a little concerned about the individually drawn maps. One hundred is quite a few but I liked the way the original randomly generated the maps. You never knew exactly what to expect.

I'm also a little bummed about there only being one base and no base defense missions. Maybe there is a chance they can add base defense on as a DLC or something.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #34
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
It took me longer to download demo than it did to play through it. The tactical missions seem close enough to the original.

Like Neon_Chaos said I'm a little concerned about the individually drawn maps. One hundred is quite a few but I liked the way the original randomly generated the maps. You never knew exactly what to expect.

I'm also a little bummed about there only being one base and no base defense missions. Maybe there is a chance they can add base defense on as a DLC or something.

One base????? No defense missions???? Might as well wait for the inevitable
gold edition with whatever crap they put into their DLC's....Sigh

Good thing I got my original working on my system...
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post

Steam Workshop integration is what I'm hoping for, there should be a good chance of it since they've said they'll include mod support and Civ V is already in the workshop.

Xenonauts is also worth checking out, even for those getting Enemy Unknown.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #36
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Getting a "No Subscription" error when trying to download demo. Anyone else?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Getting a "No Subscription" error when trying to download demo. Anyone else?

Apparently you need to re-start Steam and that should fix the error.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
One base????? No defense missions???? Might as well wait for the inevitable
gold edition with whatever crap they put into their DLC's....Sigh

Good thing I got my original working on my system...

Being that the base is laid out in vertical levels, I think a base defense mission would be pretty difficult to achieve.

In part I agree with this assessment, but the developers seem to have caught so much else of what was great about the game, that I'm hoping they judged correctly when they made that compromise.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #39
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Being that the base is laid out in vertical levels, I think a base defense mission would be pretty difficult to achieve.

In part I agree with this assessment, but the developers seem to have caught so much else of what was great about the game, that I'm hoping they judged correctly when they made that compromise.

No base defense missions are hardly enough to keep me for getting this game. It's just that the original had it so right. Why couldn't they just update the graphics and keep everything the way it was?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #40
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

Still......

But the tactical mission I played was pretty cool. It's going to take all my willpower to not buy this when it comes out.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #41
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Still......

But the tactical mission I played was pretty cool. It's going to take all my willpower to not buy this when it comes out.

I actually have already pre-ordered.

Just cause I want the custom color scheme. :P
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #42
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't think I ever stayed alive long enough to experience a base defense mission in the original.

Also pre-ordered, don't know how I'm going to find time to play FTL/X-Com/Madden/NCAA.....
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #43
Critch
lolzcat

Having tried the demo I've gone from "I'll wait til its on sale on Steam" to "I'll tell myself I'll wait for it to be on sale, but one night I'll pull the trigger and buy it for full price then hate the fact I've spent 50 friggin bucks on a game." It's that good.

I also like that since it's in the near future, Scotland is once more an independent nation. My little guy with the Scottish flag on his backpack was my hero.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #44
Atocep
Coordinator

I preordered a couple of weeks ago. The demo made me feel good about my leap of faith.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #45
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Having tried the demo I've gone from "I'll wait til its on sale on Steam" to "I'll tell myself I'll wait for it to be on sale, but one night I'll pull the trigger and buy it for full price then hate the fact I've spent 50 friggin bucks on a game." It's that good.

Sounds about right
Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #46
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

I also like that since it's in the near future, Scotland is once more an independent nation. My little guy with the Scottish flag on his backpack was my hero.

There should be a new GMG voucher code before XCOM is released that will let you preorder for about $36. It will activate on Steam, though you won't get the Steam preorder bonuses.

EDIT: Nevermind, the free copy of Age of Fear deal is done.

Always check Green Man Gaming for deals if you're interested in preordering. I got Borderlands 2 and the DLC bundle for under $60 from there.

Last edited by mckerney : 09-25-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #47
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Based off of watching videos on the web, the demo is basically the first two tutorial missions.

Grrrr. Can't wait for this.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #48
mckerney
Coordinator

Hmm, it looks like the current GMG voucher doesn't work on XCOM even though it works on other games that are on sale.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #49
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Playing the demo has me concerned about the camera. I would have liked to have a freeform camera instead of the rotatable four corner iso one that is currently in the game.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #50
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Playing the demo has me concerned about the camera. I would have liked to have a freeform camera instead of the rotatable four corner iso one that is currently in the game.

I was having trouble with it at first, too. I think I got the hang of it at least.